PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Time: 2010 Projects and Goals

Sprite
03-28-2010, 01:29 PM
This thread is the next iteration of this one Balrog started last year (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=7002). I've decided to follow what he started and use this forum as a public shaming device to keep me working on creative projects. Also I really want to see how Balrog's game is coming along :)

My goals for 2010 are as follows:

- Work on my drawing skills, particularly figure drawing.
- Learn how to use Construct (http://www.scirra.com/).
- Create a working engine in Construct, such that I can start designing a game at least by next year.

Grad school takes up most of my time at the moment, so my weekly goals will fluctuate during the semester. I think I'm going to have to go week by week, with the pace picking up during the Summer. As long as I spend a few hours a week doing something creative, even if it only indirectly fulfills my goals, I'll feel good about myself. My deadline for posting in this thread will be Sundays.

This first week is an indirect week. I've started participating in the site Glorious Trainwrecks (http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/), which is a ton of fun for anyone who likes making games but doesn't have a lot of time. So far I've done Don't Klik The Moon (http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/1125), a Klik & Play game for their Klik of the Month event (KnP games don't work with Windows 7 or Mac, unfortunately), and Deja Vu (http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/1165), a Knytt Stories level for a similar event (warning: very hard). It's not much, but it's something, and something is better than nothing.

For this coming week, my goal will be to tinker with Construct, particularly going through the Platform School (http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2154) Tutorial, which should help me get acclimated to Construct's language, although it was written in an older version and doesn't work properly in the current one.

As a bonus, here are some crappy sprites I made like five years ago:
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/LilSpriteX/Ionae.jpg

SilentSnake
03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Okay I have some goals now! They're vague, but they're that way until I can flesh them out. I graduated last December and haven't found a job yet. As well, I haven't decided what I want to do with the rest of my life. My goal is two-fold:

-Get any sort of good full-time job to save up some money. No headway yet.

-Figure out what I really want to do. I kinda wanted to get into the games industry, but the problem is that I don't know what area I want to get into. I have the capability to do anything, I just need to decide. The other problem is that I live in an area that has nothing at all close when it comes to that industry and I didn't want to really leave it just yet.

Anyways, I've been writing some stuff on Bitmob just in case I decide I want to do writing. I might share some stuff later.

Queen Possum
03-31-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm going to get at least one entry done for the book I keep telling myself I'm going to write someday.

Eddie
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm going to finish Chapter 3 of my LP!

- Eddie

Garrison
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
-Finally get the hell out of my house and find a job
-Continue my perilous adventures in Junior College
-Start and Continue my SMT Let's Play
-Lose 30 pounds by Christmas
-Start dating
-Become a normal human being without any social awkwardness

I've got a bit to work on, but I'm taking the beginning steps on four out of the six.

Balrog
03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
I'll finish my game this year, it's gonna be a while though unless I give up gaming for an extended period again :\

Son of Sinistar
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
I've got 2 goals right now to add to this:

1 - Write the program that I've been working on. Biggest problem right now is relearning C++, but I think I'm close to learning how to accept input from something other than the keyboard and writing a save file.

2 - Actually build the idea I've had in my head for the past couple years.

Traumadore
03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
GUYS. Guys.

I am dangerously close to having every single one of my 40K models painted. A few more days like I've been at it and they're down.

More seriously:

-Movin out with the Fiancee
-Finding full time work/actually starting a freelance business

anything else is just bonus.

Destil
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
GUYS. Guys.

I am dangerously close to having every single one of my 40K models painted. A few more days like I've been at it and they're down.

More seriously:

-Movin out with the Fiancee
-Finding full time work/actually starting a freelance business

anything else is just bonus.What army, Trauma? I demand pics..

My goals are pretty simple:

Pay off all debts aside from student loans. Given what I make and how little I owe this sholdn't be too hard.

Continue running my D&D campaign. Keeping up the seam we've built up over the past year will be tough, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Dust off some games in my backlog.

Finally get up the nerve to LP something. Not sure what yet...

Falselogic
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
So I set goals from august to august of each month though I might just shift that to the regular calender year (so it's easier to track and to give me enough time to do these)

So for 2010 I've got:

1. Get my SCUBA diving license
2. Go skydiving
3. Become an Oddfellow - accomplished
4. Brush up on my Latin by reading Harrius Potter et Philosphi Lapis
5. Write 10,000 word story - This might just be write any story
6. Complete my Battlefleet Gothic fleet, Horde Army, and Chaos Army
7. Make a Gaming Table
8. Climb half-dome
9. Get in great shape - in progress - keep swimming/workout schedule

Falselogic
04-07-2010, 03:16 PM
- Learn how to use Construct (http://www.scirra.com/).

How easy is this to pick up? What kind of programming exp do you have going in? I'm always looking for new ways to make my life more difficult.

Traumadore
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
What army, Trauma? I demand pics..

Well I've finally finished painting some Tau kits I've been sitting on for over 3 years. I have been really good with my Orks buying just one box at a time and completing them before getting another. I have 6 Stealth Suits and 2 Gretchin to paint, and highlight and varnish to do on 6 tau vehicles, 12 gun drones, and 1 Crisis Suit. Pretty darn close, I'll say.

I also just got about 22 models for my thousand sons themed chaos army off Ebay. It's coming in at less than 50% retail, which I'm happy about. I got half of them 2 days ago, and they're almost fully painted now. Just have highlights and detail/touch ups.

I will probably post pics once I'm entirely done, and make it worth my time to borrow somebody's camera. It will feel damn good to get this five year old load off my shoulders.

Overall I have about 2750 points of Tau, 1500 points of Orks, and already 800-900 of Chaos Space Marines (easy to do with Thousand Sons).

Destil
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Wow. I've been sitting on my ass with my 2500-3000 points of dark eldar for a good 5 years, with one jetbike and two warrior squads painted and about half of the rest even out of their boxes.

I tend to want to put a lot of time into each model just cutting them up and making them different looking, and get burnt out way way before I get to priming. -_-

Sprite
04-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I was all ready to let this thread die a quiet death, but now people are paying attention, so I guess I should post in it, huh?

Despite not posting last Sunday, I did download Construct and went through some tutorials. It's pretty cool! My computer was suicidal all weekend, though, so I didn't get much done.

How easy is this to pick up? What kind of programming exp do you have going in? I'm always looking for new ways to make my life more difficult.

It's very similar to Multimedia Fusion, which I've been using for a long time. If you want to make something like a simple platformer, Construct is very easy to use, as there are a lot of built-in behaviors that do the work for you. If you want to do more complex stuff or have complete control over the engine then it gets more complicated, but still doable for someone like me that has no coding experience. Construct more or less is a programming language, albeit one that has a lot of great built-in tools for people who don't want to spend years and years on a single game. The program is still in beta, so anything too ambitious will run into trouble, but it seems like once the bugs are ironed out it will be capable of just about any 2D game you can think of.

I would definitely recommend downloading it and going through the "Ghost Shoot" Scirra links on their website. That gives you a good idea of how the event system works. Try it out and make something really simple using clip-art or dots and squares. I also recommend Platform School, but realize that the one currently online needs an earlier version of the program.

Traumadore
04-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow. I've been sitting on my ass with my 2500-3000 points of dark eldar for a good 5 years, with one jetbike and two warrior squads painted and about half of the rest even out of their boxes.

I tend to want to put a lot of time into each model just cutting them up and making them different looking, and get burnt out way way before I get to priming. -_-

If I was building that much at once I would get a posse to help me. Just make sure they observe your standards for trimming/mould lines/glue. If you don't want the help then just carry the units to completion one at a time. Pick one you want to see finished and just do it! I know it's tempting to approach a huge project like that "assembly-line" style because it will save you time in the long run, but seeing progress and being able to play with painted pieces is better. The best motivator for miniatures games is simply to play. That will get all your gears turning for a good while. Play a game every week or every month and you'll have a reason to want to continue. I myself am motivated by a weeklong 40k binge with my brother I had recently. I've done more painting in less time than ever before.

As far as spending too much time modelling, I feel like there can be such a thing as too much individuality in an army. Think of your army as a whole, and what character it will portray. My orks for instance are all in unique poses with basically random colors (every color of the rainbow represented!) and they look like a rioting mob. My first Tau squad had too much personality, so I made my next one very uniform to dilute it, so now they look like a pretty focused unit. If you made your dark eldar all running forward with guns level, they'll look like they mean business.

Maybe that will help you get going.

ASandoval
04-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Ah, let's see...

1. Play more games.
2. All my final projects for school.
3. Figure out the best way for me to prototype my game designs.
4. Finish the current IO projects that are ongoing.
5. Start working on new IO projects!
6. Possibly start an Indie game? Maybe?
7. Finish the Astyanax LP (Hard school is hard)
8. Start a new LP over the summer once Astyanax is cleared away (I have my eye on an abandoned one...)

Do you think I have enough goals?

Falselogic
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
So I set goals from august to august of each month though I might just shift that to the regular calender year (so it's easier to track and to give me enough time to do these)

So for 2010 I've got:

1. Get my SCUBA diving license
2. Go skydiving
3. Become an Oddfellow - accomplished
4. Brush up on my Latin by reading Harrius Potter et Philosphi Lapis Fairy Tales in Latin (http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Latin-Mirabiles-Instruction/dp/0781807875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276535637&sr=8-1)
5. Write 10,000 word story - This might just be write any story
6. Complete my Battlefleet Gothic fleet, Horde Army, and Chaos Army
7. Make a Gaming Table
8. Climb half-dome
9. Get in great shape - in progress - keep swimming/workout schedule

Ok let's see how I'm doing so far this year! 1, and 2 are still no and probably won't happen this year. 4 is a no show, in fact, that Harrius Potter book is ridiculously difficult because they made up a bunch of words. I'll read fairy tales in Latin instead. I've only managed to write poetry so far this year. So 5 is no. 6 is no, I haven't painted once this year. 7 is my weekend project for the next few weeks.. 8 is happening next month I believe, 9 is on track.

4 out of nine... Not the best, but I've added goals to this year and they've already been accomplished. I'm going to add some more too.

10. Pay off one credit card and loan - Just paid the cc off so only the loan.
11. Run a triathlon (probably sprint)
12. Finish writing Hardcoregaming articles!

Olli T
06-15-2010, 03:07 AM
1. Write bucket list
2. Turn 30

SilentSnake
08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I've been writing a bunch of stuff on Bitmob to build up my portfolio. (http://www.bitmob.com/author/silentsnake)

As it turns out, a bunch of them have been posted to the front page, so I guess I don't suck too much.

Also been putting feelers out for freelance work, but I have yet to hear back from most places I put in for. Frustrating, but I'm not giving up yet.

Oh, and also writing for Gamespite Quarterly. (Go buy #5, kids!) (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Site/GSQ5TableOfContents)

Lady
08-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Line up a job for after I graduate
Settle on a research topic by October
Buy a car
See my dove.

Sprite
08-22-2010, 08:20 AM
My goals are different now: start a comic and keep it updated.

don't hate me

SilentSnake
11-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey, so I guess I'm officially a freelance writer now. I did a piece for the February 2011 issue of GamePro.

Wooooooo!

Balrog
11-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Gratz, brah.

Luana
11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey, so I guess I'm officially a freelance writer now. I did a piece for the February 2011 issue of GamePro.

Wooooooo!

That's awesome! Congrats!

Calorie Mate
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I've always been proud of you, Snake.

SilentSnake
11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
And I think I just made a successful second pitch!

Now I just need to work on getting work at other outlets.