PDA

View Full Version : My what a big deck you have! - Talking about TCGs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

benjibot
04-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, let's talk about Magic! Or any other TCG, CCG, or any other thing where you assemble randomly collected thingamabobs.

I just got back into Magic because some friends of a friend have a regular game in a local bar. I haven't actually played them yet, nor built a deck, but I did play some at C2E2 (a comic convention in Chicago).

Yesterday I got to play the prerelease of Rise of the Eldrazi and I have mixed feelings. Mostly, because I got steamrolled and I seem to be a sore loser. Also some of the dudes there were kind of shitty (and smelled like farts).

The Eldrazi cards themselves can really be a bummer. They cost a lot, but all colorless and there are all sorts of ways to generate a lot of colorless mana real fast. Every one of them forces an opponent to sacrifice a number of permanents every damned time they attack. If your opponent pulls out one and you don't you lose real fast.

I'm sure there are ways around them, but I'm not really a good player.

Alpha Werewolf
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, let's talk about Magic! Or any other TCG, CCG, or any other thing where you assemble randomly collected thingamabobs.

I just got back into Magic because some friends of a friend have a regular game in a local bar. I haven't actually played them yet, nor built a deck, but I did play some at C2E2 (a comic convention in Chicago).

Yesterday I got to play the prerelease of Rise of the Eldrazi and I have mixed feelings. Mostly, because I got steamrolled and I seem to be a sore loser. Also some of the dudes there were kind of shitty (and smelled like farts).

The Eldrazi cards themselves can really be a bummer. They cost a lot, but all colorless and there are all sorts of ways to generate a lot of colorless mana real fast. Every one of them forces an opponent to sacrifice a number of permanents every damned time they attack. If your opponent pulls out one and you don't you lose real fast.

I want - nay, I DEMAND - to see your pool and deck.

My Prerelease is going to be monday next week, by the way.

Wolf
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I played Magic a lot when I was in high school and for my first year in college. A lot of people in my Boy Scout troop played it, and I picked it up because it looked like a lot of fun. When I was in college (community college, but still), I spent a fair amount of the time I was supposed to have been in class playing Magic in one of the student lounges. That just might be why I had so much trouble with college Algebra.

College was also where I stopped playing Magic, back when Weatherlight was the big thing. This was partly because I could no longer keep up with the new cards and abilities. Every time somebody played something, I had to stop everything, read the card, and try to think about all the ramifications of its powers. And since I didn't have the money to keep myself current with the expansions, I just decided to get out of it altogether, since I didn't have a group to play older expansions against. Also...

...Also some of the dudes there were kind of shitty (and smelled like farts).

From my own (admittedly limited) experience, there is a certain contingent of recent Magic players can be described this way.

This is me. I tend to lose a lot more than I win. I'm not a very skilled strategic thinker, sadly, which is also the reason I really like strategy RPGs in theory, but never actually get anywhere in them.

shivam
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
i'm an obsessive collector type, and i wasted a lot of money on ccgs in highschool and college, but now, i get my fix from games like dominion and mtg on xbla.

chady
04-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I used to spend entirely too much money playing Magic back when I was in High School. I think the last set that I really bought a lot of boosters for was Tempest. Sometimes I miss it; every now and then it would be nice to sit down with somebody and draft a couple of starters and some boosters.

About the time that I got out was when my friends started playing the Pokemon CCG. Which I thought kind of sucked (at least compared to the videogame and Magic, anyway).

Destruction of permanents used to be hella easy. Barring that, there's probably a way to keep them tapped as long as there are only one or two. But that gets into dangerous territory: my group used to have decks specifically set up to counter other people's better decks, and decks to counter those decks, and that just descended into madness.

Wolf
04-18-2010, 11:38 AM
About the time that I got out was when my friends started playing the Pokemon CCG. Which I thought kind of sucked (at least compared to the videogame and Magic, anyway).

The Pokemon CCG was actually pretty all right, as I remember it. A bunch of my friends when I was in college were working at Toys 'R' Us when it first came out, and they were required to learn how to play for the league their store sponsored. I started playing it because it was what everyone I knew was playing. I went into it with some trepidation, but it actually turned out to be a pretty fun game.

But that gets into dangerous territory: my group used to have decks specifically set up to counter other people's better decks, and decks to counter those decks, and that just descended into madness.

Oh, and there's another reason I got out of Magic.

Alpha Werewolf
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Destruction of permanents used to be hella easy. Barring that, there's probably a way to keep them tapped as long as there are only one or two.

Still is. Much easier than before, in fact - Invasion block is the last enviornment to compare to today's removal. However, in Rise of the Eldrazi limited, the focus is more on building up your defenses with Defenders and buffing up your creatures (Leveling and Totem Armour), or on the flip side getting fast mana into the huge Eldrazi.

EDIT:

But that gets into dangerous territory: my group used to have decks specifically set up to counter other people's better decks, and decks to counter those decks, and that just descended into madness.
That's the most beatiful thing in Magic! When somebody adapts their deck to beat yours, and you do the same in response to that, you have a healthy multiplayer enviornment - as long as it doesn't become an arms race to who comboes off first.

Rosencrantz
04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I never got into any TCGs, but some of them look pretty fun. One of the reasons I never started was because my younger brother got really into Magic and then Star Wars back in the 90's. His best friend was in 4-H, and every year he raised a pig and sold it at the county fair for hundreds of dollars... more money than any 10-12 year old kid should have for spending. (Why his parents never made him save it was beyond me.) So, my brother would get into a TCG, then his friend would start playing, then his friend would get his money and buy a bunch of super rare, expensive cards for his deck, and obliterate my brother, who would then quit playing.

Wolfgang
04-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Now that I'm getting the hang of how the game works I'm finding I'm actually pretty good at it. At least, I'm able to regularly hold my own against a group of people who've been playing together since the early days of the game.

Right now my preferred deck is a white/black mix with vampires and the Kor, who are fucking awesome. I could probably do well by paring my deck down to 40-50 cards and focusing on either one color or the other, but I love how the two work together.

Alpha Werewolf
04-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I never got into any TCGs, but some of them look pretty fun. One of the reasons I never started was because my younger brother got really into Magic and then Star Wars back in the 90's. His best friend was in 4-H, and every year he raised a pig and sold it at the county fair for hundreds of dollars... more money than any 10-12 year old kid should have for spending. (Why his parents never made him save it was beyond me.) So, my brother would get into a TCG, then his friend would start playing, then his friend would get his money and buy a bunch of super rare, expensive cards for his deck, and obliterate my brother, who would then quit playing.

In Magic, it's far harder (and more expensive) to make a super-broken deck, and far cheaper to fight decks that aren't.

Alpha Werewolf
04-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Now that I'm getting the hang of how the game works I'm finding I'm actually pretty good at it. At least, I'm able to regularly hold my own against a group of people who've been playing together since the early days of the game.

Right now my preferred deck is a white/black mix with vampires and the Kor, who are fucking awesome. I could probably do well by paring my deck down to 40-50 cards and focusing on either one color or the other, but I love how the two work together.

If you're not playing Limited (Sealed or Draft), it's common practice to play with a minimum of 60 cards. That's the minimum in almost all constructed formats.

If you fellas want to, I can put my RL decks on Magic WorkStation and play against yours. I'm pretty good - at least, good enough to battle with the top tier of the store I go to.

Thraeg
04-18-2010, 01:22 PM
I played a ton of TCGs back in junior high and high school, as my group of friends started with Magic and then quickly branched out into Star Wars, Battletech, Wyvern, Hyborian Gates, and especially Middle Earth: The Wizards, which I still think is the best TCG ever. I drifted away for a while, but then started up with the World of Warcraft TCG when it came out, since starting fresh with a new game seemed more attractive than trying to catch up on years and years of Magic. It's a lot of fun, especially in sealed and draft formats, which have always been my favorites.

shivam
04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
anyone wanna play magic on xbla?

Torgo
04-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I bought a boat load of the old Decipher Star Wars CCG back in the day, but I never once got to play. Not once. I had decks built and everything. It's a shame too, since it seemed like it might be really fun (though the rules seemed a complicated cluster). Besides, any game where I could, in theory (however unlikely), have Jar Jar Binks kill Emperor Palpatine and build a squad of Ewoks or Jawas led by Mace Windu to fight Darth Maul is a-okay in my book.

Sanagi
04-18-2010, 01:51 PM
No game has ever taught me more about games than Magic.

Destil
04-18-2010, 02:32 PM
I play magic on and off a lot. A bunch of guys from work have a once a month sealed deck get-together night, usually we each just get 8 packs every few months, build a deck and play with those.

My real love has always been limited, especially draft. I've most likely poured a few thousand dollars into Magic Online over the years, almost entirely for drafting.

benjibot
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
The Eldrazi prerelease was a 6 booster pack game. I honestly couldn't tell you what was in my deck because everything got scattered about on the way home. I played white/green the first two matches and then quickly switched out to white/red for the last one, which actually went a bit better despite being done in no time at all.

Cool cards I picked up:

Guul Draz Assassin (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193612)

(B)
Creature — Vampire Assassin
Level up: (1)(B) 1/1
Level 2-3 (B),(T): Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. 2/2
Level 4+ (B),(T): Target creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn. 4/4

Looking back at this card, maybe I should have played black. I didn't get many other black creatures so I didn't look too carefully at him initially but what a brutal card. There's an awful lot he can outright kill with one black mana. He's also shiny!

Awakening Zone (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193507)

(2)(G)
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add (1) to your mana pool."

Conquering Manticore (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193468)

(4)(R)(R)
Creature — Manticore
5/5
Flying
When Conquering Manticore enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.

Lord of Shatterskull Pass (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198164)

(3)(R)
Creature — Minotaur Shaman
3/3
Level up (1)(R)
Level 1-5 6/6
Level 6+ Whenever Lord of Shatterskull Pass attacks, it deals 6 damage to each creature defending player controls. 6/6

I also really like Goblin Arsonist (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194902). He's a 1/1 goblin that will (nearly) always do at least 1 damage.

Alpha Werewolf
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
The Eldrazi prerelease was a 6 booster pack game. I honestly couldn't tell you what was in my deck because everything got scattered about on the way home. I played white/green the first two matches and then quickly switched out to white/red for the last one, which actually went a bit better despite being done in no time at all.

Cool cards I picked up:

Guul Draz Assassin (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193612)

Looking back at this card, maybe I should have played black. I didn't get many other black creatures so I didn't look too carefully at him initially but what a brutal card. There's an awful lot he can outright kill with one black mana. He's also shiny!

Awakening Zone (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193507)

Conquering Manticore (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193468)

Lord of Shatterskull Pass (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198164)

I also really like Goblin Arsonist (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194902). He's a 1/1 goblin that will (nearly) always do at least 1 damage.

I don't know what the rest of your green cards were, but unless your green was horrible and your white astounding, you should've probably ran a green/red concotion. Awakening Zone is a BOMB.

shivam
04-18-2010, 09:55 PM
man, eldrazi just doesnt look like magic anymore.

Alixsar
04-18-2010, 11:54 PM
You can level stuff up now? That's...odd. I know they've done some similar things in the past but not like this.

Mr. J
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
mmm, Magic. Bejibot, you probably should have gone Black, Red depending on the rest of your stuff. That assassin wins you the game if they don't do anything about it in limited.

I went to my prerelease on Saturday and got an awful pool. I 1-3-drop. I ended up with some horrible G/R/W deck that didn't do too well.

On the standard front though, I'm looking at B/U polymoprh and I think it'll be an absolute house.

Land
10x Island
6x Swamp
4x Creeping Tar Pit
4x Drowned Catacomb

Creatures
2x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Spells
4x Deprive
4x See Beyond
4x Ponder
4x Polymorph
2x Negate
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Wind Zendikon
4x Corrupted Zendikon
2x Consume the Meek
2x Agony Warp
2x Diabolic Tutor

Sideboard
2x Iona, Shield of Emeria
4x Spell Pierce
3x Flashfreeze
4x Duress
2x Agony Warp

It's super cheap to put together (I got my friends promo and mine so that's the two I need) and does quite well from testing on MWS.

Also, I spend way too much time and money on magic, but I love it too much to quit.

Destil
04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
man, eldrazi just doesnt look like magic anymore.People have been saying this for years, and I finally agree. Level up cards have really messy and overly complex frames and I just don't think the mechanic is 'clean' enough to be viable at common.

Then again I haven't played it yet so what do I know.

Odin
04-19-2010, 05:18 AM
I bought a boat load of the old Decipher Star Wars CCG back in the day, but I never once got to play. Not once. I had decks built and everything. It's a shame too, since it seemed like it might be really fun (though the rules seemed a complicated cluster). Besides, any game where I could, in theory (however unlikely), have Jar Jar Binks kill Emperor Palpatine and build a squad of Ewoks or Jawas led by Mace Windu to fight Darth Maul is a-okay in my book.

I played a crapton of Star Wars CCG in high school. I still have all the cards at the back of my closet somewhere, my collector and Star Wars geek won't give them up even though I haven't built a deck since freshman year of college. I stopped playing the game when they brought in Episode I and said "screw timeline concerns!" Then as I recall WotC yanked the rights out from under Decipher and made some crappy TCG with even crappier CG art using the Star Wars license.

Kirin
04-19-2010, 06:43 AM
I played a bunch of Magic in the mid-nineties (so, Revised/Fourth, plus Dark/Homelands/FEmpires/IceAge/Chronicles). Had a pretty decent Red/Green deck, though it was built with more of an eye towards fun than being seriously competitive. I remember messing with Thallids for a while, but I think I weeded them out later.

Lately, though, I've been thinking it's time to sell cards. The dual lands and a handful of other rares from Revised era I'm sitting on alone around worth probably the better part of a grand. And I should be able to get several hundred more out of the $5-$10 cards scattered through the rest. The trick is to not get sucked back into wanting to play and keep them all while I'm trying to catalog stuff for sale, though... But I've already got some deals in the works for after I have things sorted.

Nicholai
04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
I played Magic pretty heavily from around Fourth Edition (though I did have a bit of Revised as I started just when Revised was becoming hard to find but 4th hadn't come out yet) to Invasion. I stopped then when I came to college, but picked it up again for a couple years around the tail end of Kamigawa/beginning of Ravnica and stopped again at Lorwyn.

I love TCGs in general and tried just about any I could find, but in the end Magic just doesn't work for me anymore. Largely because I don't have a playgroup of friends anymore with whom I share a similar intensity for the game. That was they key to playing for so long when I was younger; my friends and I were all competitive but still had fun and no one wandered too far into the game monetarily to price the rest of us out of the game. Obviously, some spent more and some less, and some were better at the game, but it was close enough that we had a reasonably cohesive playgroup for a long time. When I started playing again I didn't have friends to play with and keeping up competitively with the game for weekly tournaments is just far too expensive. Mythic rares upwards of $30 and normal rares that are ubiquitous and expensive kept me from being too competitive. Of course, it helped that when I was younger we played with our whole collections rather than constantly rotating out sets. I just sold off several thousand commons and uncommons to a local card shop, but still have a bunch more and books upon books of rares (well over a thousand I'd guess), plus the complete mint Revised set.

Wheels
04-19-2010, 07:17 AM
I've been playing Magic basically since revised, though only started doing tournaments regularly a few years ago. Came in 10th in a pro-tour qualifier once.

benjibot
04-19-2010, 07:38 AM
mmm, Magic. Bejibot, you probably should have gone Black, Red depending on the rest of your stuff. That assassin wins you the game if they don't do anything about it in limited.

Yeah, I have to agree. In fact, I remember a dude excitedly showing off a card in between rounds saying that it won him all of his games. I didn't realize until later that this was exactly the card he was talking about. I'm not sure why I picked white/green. I think I was looking at creatures and those colors had the best, easiest creatures to play. I was picking cards that required only 1 {W} or {G} in addition to colorless. Also, I had some synergy with auras between white and green.

In terms of awesome white cards I did pull Kor Spiritdancer (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193544). I managed to pump her up to something like 8/10 with a few auras and also drew extra cards.

On Friday I played a booster draft and pulled Anowon, the Ruin Sage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=177508) and the totally fucking awesome Scrib Nibblers (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198382). At the end of the match I pulled a second Anowon (a shiny one!) and a Basilisk Collar (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198356). I've also got a Blade of the Bloodchief (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193397) sitting around here. I think the universe is trying to tell me to play black.

Wheels
04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
I think the universe is trying to tell me to play black.

It is a great time to be playing black

Nodal
04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I used to play Magic a lot. I wasn't very good at building decks but I won because I used up all the luck in my life ever when playing. My favorite favorite TCG ever though was Magi-Nation.

Nicholai
04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
In terms of other non-Magic TCGs. I played: Overpower, Legend of the 5 Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars (Decipher), BattleTech, Rage, Vamprie, Lord of the Rings, Spellfire, and VS System. I had a lot of Trek and Wars cards, but played both games sparingly. BattleTech was hot among my friends for a short time, but I never got too deep into it. VS System is the newest and the one I got most into, but it sadly died.

Tanto
04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Friends, friends. We're missing the most important aspect of Rise of the Eldrazi.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=193638&type=card

Mike Haggar has finally gotten his own card!

More like Beastbreaker of Metro City amiright

Alpha Werewolf
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Friends, friends. We're missing the most important aspect of Rise of the Eldrazi.

Man, fuck Haggar. They gave SHAN YU his own card!

Nicholai
04-19-2010, 09:57 AM

So I haven't played since Time Spiral block, but let me get this straight. He costs 1G, and you have to spend 8GGGG to make him a 6/6 with trample? That seems...not so good. I see part of it is spreading the cost out over multiple turns, but it still seems like a poor investment of mana.

Tanto
04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
So I haven't played since Time Spiral block, but let me get this straight. He costs 1G, and you have to spend 8GGGG to make him a 6/6 with trample? That seems...not so good. I see part of it is spreading the cost out over multiple turns, but it still seems like a poor investment of mana.

The idea is not that he's a 6/6 for a million mana. You play him out as a bear on the second turn, and if you don't have anything better to do on turn three, you turn him into a 4/4 and attack with that. Then, if you've got excess mana later in the game, you can finish leveling him up.

Mr. J
04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Yah, all of the good level-up cards work well after 1 level up. For example (http://magiccards.info/query?q=student+of+warfare&v=card&s=cname), he's a 3/3 first strike on turn 2. Then as you have extra mana you can just dump it into him. Then again this is probably the only T2 playable leveler. In limited the levelers are excellent, because you can keep a good board presence w/o overextending.

Nicholai
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Yah, all of the good level-up cards work well after 1 level up. For example (http://magiccards.info/query?q=student+of+warfare&v=card&s=cname), he's a 3/3 first strike on turn 2. Then as you have extra mana you can just dump it into him. Then again this is probably the only T2 playable leveler. In limited the levelers are excellent, because you can keep a good board presence w/o overextending.

Agreed that that one is quite good. I missed on the previous guy that he is common too. I can see them being good for limited as a beater and a mana sink. Mechanics that are good in limited environments and not-so-good for constructed though are par for the course I guess.

benjibot
04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I always wanted someone to get into Over the Edge, but no one ever did.

Magic rules question: If I have one of those vampires that gain +1/+1 counters when a creature hits the graveyard from the battlefield it counts when something is sacrificed, right? And I can sacrifice tapped creatures?

How's Magic on XBLA? Do you have to buy cards with "real" money a.k.a. Microsoft fun bucks?

Alpha Werewolf
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I always wanted someone to get into Over the Edge, but no one ever did.

Magic rules question: If I have one of those vampires that gain +1/+1 counters when a creature hits the graveyard from the battlefield it counts when something is sacrificed, right? And I can sacrifice tapped creatures?

How's Magic on XBLA? Do you have to buy cards with "real" money a.k.a. Microsoft fun bucks?

Yes and yes.

XBLA has set decks with unlockable cards through campaign mode.

shivam
04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
magic on xbla is the perfect way to scratch your ccg itch without making you continually buy more packs.

Nicholai
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
magic on xbla is the perfect way to scratch your ccg itch without making you continually buy more packs.

I'd totally be down for this if I had a 360. Just to scratch that itch.

Also, while not a "card" game does anyone play Heroclix?

Alpha Werewolf
04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Anybody want to play against me with some precons on MWS? I love me some precons!

benjibot
04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

There are ways around it. I have a couple copies of Venerated Teacher (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193443).

When Venerated Teacher enters the battlefield, put two level counters on each creature you control with level up

Some of my friends were hella into in Heroclix. I'd be interested in playing a game, but I've long since talked myself out of buying them from a space perspective—both playing them and storing them.

Man, I really do wish I had an Xbox 360 now. For many reasons, but the Magic game looks pretty great.

Nicholai
04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Some of my friends were hella into in Heroclix. I'd be interested in playing a game, but I've long since talked myself out of buying them from a space perspective—both playing them and storing them.

Man, I really do wish I had an Xbox 360 now. For many reasons, but the Magic game looks pretty great.

What I'd like to do with Heroclix is get one or two friends into it and just all agree to only buy enough to just have fun with it so we avoid the too much cost/space dilemma. What has stirred my interest is the newest DC Brave and the Bold set and the upcoming Blackest Night starter set.

Wheels
04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I really like the level up creatures. They took the concept of Figure of Destiny and made it better.

Nodal
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Anybody want to play against me with some precons on MWS? I love me some precons!

If you inform me what MWS is, sure. I also love me some precons.

Alpha Werewolf
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
If you inform me what MWS is, sure. I also love me some precons.

Magic WorkStation. Best freeware Magic-playing program there is.

Takes a while to setup. Play ya tommorow?

Nodal
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Magic WorkStation. Best freeware Magic-playing program there is.

Takes a while to setup. Play ya tommorow?

Sounds like a good time. I'll set it up now.

Mr. J
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Sometimes I hate MWS, I was just playing on it and a guy had a board of
Wall of omens (2cc), 2X Vent sentinel (4cc), Wall of reverence (4cc), Overgrown Battlement (2cc), Rage Nimbus (3cc).

So it's the end of his turn and he targets the nimbus (power of 5) with wall of reverence and I use consume the meek (destroy all creatures w/ cc less than or equal to 3). I tell him he doesn't gain the 5 life and he says he does. I explain that the wall targets the nimbus but because the nimbus is gone when it tries to resolve, it fizzles. The guys still says no and we engage in a huge argument. After about 5 minutes the goes says "fag" and I get the "<system> Player Lost" message. I really hate these guys.

Also, I'd play some precons on MWS (I go by Mr. J on there too).

-edit-

Title requires this. (http://magiccards.info/query?q=battle+of+wits&v=card&s=cname)

Nodal
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Title requires this. (http://magiccards.info/query?q=battle+of+wits&v=card&s=cname)

My friend had a deck like this. He called it dexus maximus.

Alpha Werewolf
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Sometimes I hate MWS, I was just playing on it and a guy had a board of
Wall of omens (2cc), 2X Vent sentinel (4cc), Wall of reverence (4cc), Overgrown Battlement (2cc), Rage Nimbus (3cc).

So it's the end of his turn and he targets the nimbus (power of 5) with wall of reverence and I use consume the meek (destroy all creatures w/ cc less than or equal to 3). I tell him he doesn't gain the 5 life and he says he does. I explain that the wall targets the nimbus but because the nimbus is gone when it tries to resolve, it fizzles. The guys still says no and we engage in a huge argument. After about 5 minutes the goes says "fag" and I get the "<system> Player Lost" message. I really hate these guys.

Also, I'd play some precons on MWS (I go by Mr. J on there too).

-edit-

That's what you get on MWS most of the time. And THAT is why I prefer to play games with people I know!

Alixsar
04-19-2010, 11:30 PM

That Student card is insane I want four of them NOW

Sanagi
04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I have a Battle of Wits deck. It's my second favorite deck. It's full of good cards that I always wanted to play but that never made the final cut, like mesmeric trance. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=184747) One of the things I love about it is the tendency to win not due to Battle of Wits but due to the simple and timeless effectiveness of a deck with a lot of Air Elementals, Counterspells and card-drawing.

My #1 favorite is an Elder Dragon Highlander deck, 100 cards and the theme of it is "Every topdeck is so great you'll think I'm the luckiest man alive." Also, "No fetch lands because shuffling a 100-card deck every turn is not something you should inflict on your friends and acquaintances."

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Hey Nodal! You ready now?

Nodal
04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Hey Nodal! You ready now?

No :(. I forgot that today Monster Hunter Tri comes out, so I'm being a terrible person and bailing on you.

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2010, 07:13 AM
No :(. I forgot that today Monster Hunter Tri comes out, so I'm being a terrible person and bailing on you.

That's fine. I'm available pretty much every day - just make sure you check TT from time to time (or gimme your MSN).

Nodal
04-20-2010, 07:14 AM
That's fine. I'm available pretty much every day - just make sure you check TT from time to time (or gimme your MSN).

I am also a terrible AIM man. It's in the thread but the s/n is nodalwhisk. If you want I could get MSN but I dont know how often I'll be on it.

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2010, 07:17 AM
I am also a terrible AIM man. It's in the thread but the s/n is nodalwhisk. If you want I could get MSN but I dont know how often I'll be on it.

I don't use AIM, actually. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for you being online and PM you.

Nodal
04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't use AIM, actually. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for you being online and PM you.

Yeah, I've been on TT a lot recently so this will probably work.

benjibot
04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
I love the art on Deathless Angel so much. There's a bigger version on the Eldrazi intro site (http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/products.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/products/riseoftheeldrazi). That is one curvy angel.

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey guys, how do you feel about a sealed league? With the caveat that you record your matches, or at least make notes and post a report?

Red Hedgehog
04-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey guys, how do you feel about a sealed league? With the caveat that you record your matches, or at least make notes and post a report?

If this were doable, I'd love to try it. I loved sealed/limited environments.

It's nice to practice strategy, but I get really bored playing the same preconstructed decks over and over again. More than half the fun of any TCG for me is building my own deck and the XBLA program doesn't allow this.

Thraeg
04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I haven't played Magic in 10 years, but I'd be up for trying out a sealed online league as long as it doesn't cost anything.

Mr. J
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
My #1 favorite is an Elder Dragon Highlander deck, 100 cards and the theme of it is "Every topdeck is so great you'll think I'm the luckiest man alive." Also, "No fetch lands because shuffling a 100-card deck every turn is not something you should inflict on your friends and acquaintances."

I love EDH, its so much fun to be able to play with all those cards that rocked in my old casual decks but are too terrible to play in constructed or rotated before I really got into it. I really got into drafting during mirridon bloc, so I have stacks of artifacts around. One day I was thinking about making an EDH deck and I found this (http://magiccards.info/cs/en/27.html) sitting in my binder from my coldsnap prerelease. For those of you who haven't played EDH artifacts are ridiculously good and being able to tutor them out is absolutely bonkers. I quickly threw the deck together and it worked a little too well. I almost made a friend quit with the deck when I dropped a T1 isochron scepter (http://magiccards.info/fnmp/en/102.html) with boomerang (http://magiccards.info/10e/en/70.html) attached to it. He eventually blew it up, but by that time I had such an advantage that I simply killed him with his own general (http://magiccards.info/5dn/en/164.html). That was an all-together mean deck, so I took it apart and made a new "everybody draws and discards cards" deck with wrexial (http://magiccards.info/wwk/en/120.html).

That Student card is insane I want four of them NOW

This guy is the reason I still haven't traded my playset of rangers. (http://magiccards.info/query?q=ranger+of+eos&v=card&s=cname)

Sealed would be fun but I don't know any random booster generators. I know MWS does it, but I thought it required you to pay for it.

Back to reading through all the mafia posts I missed :|

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
MWS is fully functional without paying you guys! You can play and produce sealed pools.

What we'll do is this: I'll generate 8 pools, send them in a PM to you guys. You guys will build the deck, SEND IT TO ME, and then we'll setup the matches.

Mr. J
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Okay if we do this I think we should pick a set that we like. ROE is nice, but people are gonna be playing a lot of sealed pools of it already. My vote is for Darksteel, Ravnica or timespiral (or all three, that'd be interesting!).

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Well I think that I should surprise you all. But it's up to you guys to decide!

Red Hedgehog
04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Invasion, Ravnica, and Mirrodin blocks are nice. Alara is cool too.

As long as we're listing favorite blocks for sealed.

Shadax
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a paid version of MWS. I also have Online Playtable (http://www.onlineplaytable.com/), which is better for multiplayer, but has a worse deck builder.

I haven't kept up in years, but I am quick to get back on the horse.

EDIT: yes please I am down for some EDH.

Thraeg
04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Last block I played was... Tempest? or Mirage? or Weatherlight? Everything after Ice Age kind of blurs together in my memory.

Alixsar
04-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Clearly the best block is the Lorwyn/Morningtide/Shadowmoor/Eventide superblock.

Clearly. (Seriously, it's awesome...all my favorite decks that I've made have been from that block...isn't that right, Elf Warrior Deck?)

The Alara block is really cool too though...and while Worldwake by itself I wasn't too keen on, Zendikar was a good set and it worked well with Zendikar, so maybe it'll all wrap up nicely with Eldrazi? I dunno.

Also I am really curious to see what happens with the Scars of Morridin block.

While we're talking about sets.

Destil
04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Honestly, I would play play RAV sealed in a heartbeat (fuck you, coldsnap, for ending the best limited environment ever early).

Does MWS do drafts?

Alpha Werewolf
04-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Honestly, I would play play RAV sealed in a heartbeat (fuck you, coldsnap, for ending the best limited environment ever early).

Does MWS do drafts?

No, but a program called NetDraft does (it also exports to MWS).

Nodal
04-21-2010, 05:48 AM
This all sounds good.

Kirin
04-21-2010, 06:45 AM
One day I was thinking about making an EDH deck and I found this (http://magiccards.info/cs/en/27.html) sitting in my binder from my coldsnap prerelease. For those of you who haven't played EDH artifacts are ridiculously good and being able to tutor them out is absolutely bonkers. I quickly threw the deck together and it worked a little too well. I almost made a friend quit with the deck when I dropped a T1 isochron scepter (http://magiccards.info/fnmp/en/102.html) with boomerang (http://magiccards.info/10e/en/70.html) attached to it. He eventually blew it up, but by that time I had such an advantage that I simply killed him with his own general (http://magiccards.info/5dn/en/164.html). That was an all-together mean deck, so I took it apart and made a new "everybody draws and discards cards" deck with wrexial (http://magiccards.info/wwk/en/120.html).

Lordy. Crap like that is why Blue will always be my mortal enemy.

(It's weird... in completely different types of games, like RPGs and action stuff, I tend to gravitate towards the ticksy, the nimble, and the defensive. Which in Magic would correspond to Blue/White shenanigans. But no, in Magic I hate Blue/White and pretty much always played Red/Green. It's the only venue in which I gravitate towards detruction, growth, and power.)

Destil
04-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Heh, boomerang is actually one of the kinder things you can do with scepter.

Yes, I'm looking at you counterspell, and you Orim's Chant!

My favorite current deck online is blue/green. Ninjas and lots of small comes into play creatures (plaxmanta: the secrete best creature in Ravanica) to generate massive card advantage and tempo. Eternal witness is just so good when you 8 1 mana instants (unsummon/giant growth) and a small pack of 2 mana counters/tempo builders. They really need to include Man'O'War in a masters set...

benjibot
04-21-2010, 07:51 AM
The guy I was playing against in my last round of the RoE event was waxing poetic about that Scepter. And it was uncommon? Holy hell.

Despite the fact that I only have a handful of cards from that block I have to agree with Alixsar on the Lorwyn block. If, for no other reason, the Kithkin are adorable.

I'd love to play online and get a handle on how this game works again, but sadly none of these things are Mac friendly. Sigh.

EDIT: Hey, it looks like Magic Workstation runs pretty well in CrossOver. Neat!

Alpha Werewolf
04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
List of guys who are up for sealed(7):
benjibot
Nodal
Destil
Redgehog
Boojum
Mr. J
Alixar (?)

List of format votes:
Ravnica x3
Mirrodin x2
Time Spiral
Lorwyn x2
Invasion
Alara

Nodal
04-21-2010, 08:38 AM
My vote is for Mirrodin. I'm terrible at it, but it's fun.

benjibot
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Ugh. Downloading images for MWS is a pain in the tuchus. Maybe I'll just play without art.

Alpha Werewolf
04-21-2010, 09:18 PM
I'd prefer 8 players for the league. So... Anybody else?

Alixsar
04-21-2010, 10:13 PM
List of guys who are up for sealed(7):
benjibot
Nodal
Destil
Redgehog
Boojum
Mr. J
Alixar (?)

List of format votes:
Ravnica x3
Mirrodin x2
Time Spiral
Lorwyn x2
Invasion
Alara

What? Are we doing something?

Alpha Werewolf
04-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, you were talking about favorite blocks so I assumed you wanted in on the Sealed league I was planning.

Kirin
04-22-2010, 06:33 AM
I just got 23 lbs of Magic cards shipped from my parents' house to mine. Time for some serious sorting and price-looking-up. (Jeezus, my Ice Ages and Chronicles are totally unsorted? What kind of lazy-ass was I 15 years ago? :P )

teg
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Demoweasel has alerted me to the existance of this (http://furoticon.com/index.php). It's like Magic the Gathering, but instead of monsters fighting each other it's about furries having sex. It's largely played by fat nerdy guys though, so it's not much different. ZING!

I like this card (http://wiki.furoticon.com/images/wiki.furoticon.com/1/17/Furcob.jpg) best.

oh also NSFW NSFW NSFW

Mr. J
04-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Yah, mirridon block basically took rarity and threw it out the window. Skullclamp (banned basically every where), aether vial (banned in standard when it was and now in extended) and isochron scepter were all below rare. Then again some of those rares were awesome too (chalice, trinisphere, chrome mox, engineered explosives and ravager). I once got locked down by a deck with arcane laboratory and an isochron scepter with memory lapse.

dulynoted
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Also, while not a "card" game does anyone play Heroclix?

I have bought so many of these things it isn't healthy. I fell out when the game died for a little while, but I've been curious about how the new stuff is, like Hammer of Thor and Brave and the Bold

Nicholai
04-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I have bought so many of these things it isn't healthy. I fell out when the game died for a little while, but I've been curious about how the new stuff is, like Hammer of Thor and Brave and the Bold

The new Brave and the Bold along with the Blackest Night starter set is what has me a bit interested. How'd you enjoy the game when you were playing it?

Alixsar
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, you were talking about favorite blocks so I assumed you wanted in on the Sealed league I was planning.

I thought we were just talking about what blocks we liked. I'll go back and read the thread later (after the game GO SHARKS!)

That said, ELDRAZI DRAFT TOMORROW AND SATURDAY WHOOOOOOO!!!!

dulynoted
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
The new Brave and the Bold along with the Blackest Night starter set is what has me a bit interested. How'd you enjoy the game when you were playing it?

At its height, it was great.They eventually added some cardboard character card elements to expand the power set beyond what their dial system could represent. By the time I had stopped,though, I would say it got a bit rules-heavy and expensive.

GyroNinja
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I willing to join the sealed league, although I might need some help getting multiplayer running on MWS, since I haven't used it in a while.

And I vote we do Ravnica block because it's awesome.

Alpha Werewolf
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I willing to join the sealed league, although I might need some help getting multiplayer running on MWS, since I haven't used it in a while.

And I vote we do Ravnica block because it's awesome.

MWS has no multiplayer... We're just doing one-on-one matches.

We need one more guy!

Mr. J
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Any idea how we'll run this? I think swiss would be best, but we could also do double elimination. Or are we just going to do play whenever with whoever and post your results?

If we run another league we should do RoE after this and then alternate between new and old.

Shadax
04-22-2010, 11:03 PM

We need one more guy!

Sealed, right? I'm in. (I'd prefer draft, but I'll take what I can get)

(also, as I mentioned upthread, Online Playtable does multi and is a better client than MWS)

GyroNinja
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM

We need one more guy!

Oh sorry, I forgot "multiplayer" has a different context in MTG. Yeah I meant like, online matches and stuff. It's been a long time since I used that program.

Alpha Werewolf
04-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Any idea how we'll run this? I think swiss would be best, but we could also do double elimination. Or are we just going to do play whenever with whoever and post your results?

If we run another league we should do RoE after this and then alternate between new and old.

I'm thinking single elimination. Swiss would work though.

Entrants:
benjibot
Nodal
Destil
Redgehog
Boojum
Mr. J
GyroNinja
Shadax

List of format votes:
Ravnica x4
Mirrodin x2
Time Spiral
Lorwyn x2
Invasion
Alara

Looks like it's going to be a RAV/GLP/DIS Sealed.

Destil
04-23-2010, 03:54 AM
I'm actually in favor of swiss, since this is just a "havin' fun" sort of thing.

Red Hedgehog
04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm actually in favor of swiss, since this is just a "havin' fun" sort of thing.

Agreed. Also because it's what real tournaments do.

Thraeg
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah, Swiss would be nice so I get to play more than one match.

Alpha Werewolf
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Alright. So I'm thinking three rounds of swiss.

Just remember guys: You all signed the contract to record and/or mnake notes of your games so that we can all enjoy them!

I'll send the pools in a few days (will notify you in the thread). From the moment I send them you will have exactly 24 hours to build your deck. If any one of you will be absent/very busy, notify me so that I won't send on that day.

Thraeg
04-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I'll be busy this weekend, but any time during the week should be fine.

benjibot
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Hooray! I just unwrapped a second Basilisk Collar. Now if only I could find a few more Cunning Sparkmages.

So, I've been playing with the sealed deck builder in MWS and I cannot figure out how to add basic lands. I don't know if I should add the cards to inventory, to deck, or the other option. Thoughts?

Alpha Werewolf
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Hooray! I just unwrapped a second Basilisk Collar. Now if only I could find a few more Cunning Sparkmages.

So, I've been playing with the sealed deck builder in MWS and I cannot figure out how to add basic lands. I don't know if I should add the cards to inventory, to deck, or the other option. Thoughts?

I believe you put them in inventory. After you're done with your spells, you can add some lands (I think you'll need to reset the master base).

benjibot
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I've been looking at a bunch of the old cards and marveling at the change in art style. Magic cards used to be all over the map, visually speaking. I suppose the consistency of the worlds is benefited but I miss some of my favorite artists (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159820) don't have a place anymore (or have moved on, I haven't done any research).

That said, I really love the worlds they've created. Zendikar is a really interesting place. I'd love to read stories set in it, but not so much planeswalker related stories.

Mr. J
04-25-2010, 12:02 AM
The art style has really pulled together because they have a big flavor department. They develop style guides and develop template type images for the different races. For example, all of the kor in Zendkiar and Worldwake look very similar because the style people were very precise with what they wanted. Also, that archangel picture is one of my favorites.

Shadax
04-25-2010, 02:04 AM
thursdays are very bad for me, but beyond that I should be around.

Shadax
04-25-2010, 02:30 AM
I've done two sealed decks since signing up and what strikes me as interesting about the Ravnica sets is that for all the playing up as a gold set, the mana fixing isn't entirely there, especially in a limited format. Part of it is me being pretty rusty, and part of it is MWS' absolutely awful shuffle algorithm (Which would likely have not been fixed even if they didn't abandon the product; in some literature somewhere I specifically remember the programmer ranting about how true random is the only way he will ever do shuffling. OPT is, again, a much better product in this and so many other regards) but I cannot for the life of me get a solid two color mana base, and splashing a third is much more of a risk than it is in real Magic.

Also, what are you guys doing for your land? Due to it being difficult to not end up with at least one relevant non-basic land for your deck, I have been breaking the golden rule of 17 lands feeding 23 cards with 18/22. Of course, all of them will perpetually end up at the bottom of the deck in TRUE RANDOM ORDER, but both times I have ended up with a deck that would benefit more from another land than another C-list card.

Alpha Werewolf
04-25-2010, 08:13 AM
I've done two sealed decks since signing up and what strikes me as interesting about the Ravnica sets is that for all the playing up as a gold set, the mana fixing isn't entirely there, especially in a limited format. Part of it is me being pretty rusty, and part of it is MWS' absolutely awful shuffle algorithm (Which would likely have not been fixed even if they didn't abandon the product; in some literature somewhere I specifically remember the programmer ranting about how true random is the only way he will ever do shuffling. OPT is, again, a much better product in this and so many other regards) but I cannot for the life of me get a solid two color mana base, and splashing a third is much more of a risk than it is in real Magic.

Also, what are you guys doing for your land? Due to it being difficult to not end up with at least one relevant non-basic land for your deck, I have been breaking the golden rule of 17 lands feeding 23 cards with 18/22. Of course, all of them will perpetually end up at the bottom of the deck in TRUE RANDOM ORDER, but both times I have ended up with a deck that would benefit more from another land than another C-list card.

Dunnow about you, but I think that 17/23 is very flexible. I like going with 18/22, and mind you, in Rise, 20 lands is a good idea.

Guesty
04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I know the rules of M:TG and that's pretty much it. I'm probably not a very good player. Fridays and the weekends are best for me.

Still, I'd like to sign up for a draft! Time Spiral and Ravinca both sound fun...Time Spiral seems to appeal to me more, so I'm voting that (but if you guys only need one more vote for Ravinca I'll vote that as it isn't bad either).

Red Hedgehog
04-25-2010, 09:03 AM

I've had a lot of experience playing Ravnica both sealed and draft. Here are my memories of it:

You will play three colors. In draft, there are actually only about 5 viable 3 color triples, but in sealed all are viable.

The bounce-lands (when this comes into play, return a land you control to owner's hand) are always worth playing. Even when only one of their colors matches one of your deck colors. Even when they don't help with fixing, they help with tempo.

I usually play 18 mana sources with signets counting as half a mana source and bounce lands counting as 1.5. Although that was draft numbers, so sealed might even use more.

Red Hedgehog
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
So I just downloaded MWS and generated a Rav block sealed deck. The interface is taking some getting used to. I had it set up the cards as a deck and they all defaulted to sideboard which makes sense.

Does the program allow double sorts? It would be nice to sort on just the cards that are in my deck. Or is there a better interface for putting a sealed deck together that I should be using?

Anyway, it seems really cool, although I really question if the generated cards from the starter & boosters are the same distribution that Wizards uses. Only getting one signet and no bounce lands is highly unlikely.

EDIT: Man, I have to remember there's no more damage on the stack. That probably makes Shambling Shell much less good than it used to be.

Alixsar
04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
So I ended up not playing this weekend but I DID look at the spoilers for the Eldrazi set.

Okay, so a COMMON creature costs 8 mana, is 8/8, and makes your opponent sacrifice 2 permanents each time it attacks? Are you fucking kidding me? It only gets even more ridiculous from there. This is retarded.

shivam
04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
the whole point of eldrazi is to slow the game down, and there are a fuck ton of easy mana accelerators that make getting them into play not a big deal.

Alpha Werewolf
04-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Hey Alixar. Rarity has nothing to do with power level. Some powerful cards are made rarer to make limited formats less swingy, but in general there's no connection.

Plus. Huge guys is the point of RoE!

benjibot
04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Okay, so a COMMON creature costs 8 mana, is 8/8, and makes your opponent sacrifice 2 permanents each time it attacks? Are you fucking kidding me? It only gets even more ridiculous from there. This is retarded.

This is part of the reason I had such a lousy time at the prerelease event. The Annihilator mechanic can be real damned disheartening if you're on the wrong end of it. Because you'll probably be sacrificing land, which means you don't have the mana to throw up a defense.

Now that I have time to look at them in the context of all my other cards I'm less frustrated. In a sealed format there weren't as many options. That and nobody really knew whether or not the Eldrazi would even work in sealed. Turns out, they did.

GyroNinja
04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey Alixar. Rarity has nothing to do with power level. Some powerful cards are made rarer to make limited formats less swingy, but in general there's no connection.

I dunno if it's fair to say there's no connection. I mean, when it comes to utility spells and cheap creature beats, commons and uncommon have historically been the way to go (Just off the top of my head, at common we've got stuff like Lightning Bolt, Wild Mongrel, Dark Ritual, Counterspell, Oblivion Ring... And the list just gets even longer for uncommon), but when it comes to big creatures, almost all of the good ones are rare.

I mean, just compare Serra Angel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193767) or Shepherd of the Lost (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193399) to Baneslayer Angel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191065). Obviously an extreme example, but you get the gist.

(For the record, I like it when the ridiculous cards are common/uncommon because then I have to spend less money to get them).

Mr. J
04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Having an 8/8 at common is unusual but that's just because of the set. Generally larger creatures are placed at the uncommon/rare level because statistically you need less of them in a limited format. Try drafting a deck full of 7 and 8 cc spells and tell me how many matches you win? Having more cheaper spells available keeps limited from turning into the first person to 8 mana wins! ROE has some odd choices, but in general the mana costs are spread fairly normally.

Destil
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
While rarity does include some pack-selling BS (Dual Lands I'm looking at you!) rarity as far as design goes really is more for limited balance and exposure. At the highest levels of play (which is what they care the most about balancing) in constructed rarity is a total non-issue.

Baneslayer is a mythic because she's flashy and has like, what? 6 keywords? Commons need to generally be simple because new players get the most exposure to them. A big common is fine (look at the core sets, green has plenty of vanilla fatties at common), an overly complex one is not.

... and I'm still not feeling level up at common myself. Just too much going on in the frame.

Alixsar
04-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Right but what I'm saying is that "huge guys is the point" doesn't interest me. They just seem too good. I guess you'd have to put a lot of work into getting out even one Eldrazi, but once you did, it's GG No Re. I can see myself getting frustrated playing against them.

Mr. J
04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
You'll have your own eldrazi too and there are ways of taking them out of commission. Guard duty, narcolepsy, vendetta (it's probably worth it depending on your board position) and oust all work.

Eddie
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Guys, it's simple.

Draco + Erratic Explosion.

16 damage TO THE FACE.

- Eddie

Sanagi
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
After attacking with an animated (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2143) Gleemax (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=73947) on a War Chariot, (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2434) Draco just doesn't seem that exciting anymore.

benjibot
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
As a whole, I generally like the Eldrazi set pretty well so far. I wish I could play another sealed event with it. I like to think I'd do much better this time.

(Actually, I'd like to play another sealed event period. They're neat.)

Funny you should mention Erratic Explosion, a card almost exactly the same was introduced in RoE: Explosive Revelation (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193479).

Alpha Werewolf
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
There aren't many ways to directly take out an Eldrazi in sealed, true. But you know what you CAN take it out with?

Bashing your opponent's face with another one! ^_^

(Or a good leveler. I guess that works too. Or Daggerback Basilisk. You get the idea)

Pools coming tommorow guys.

Mr. J
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
:( (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/436)

:| (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/217)

GyroNinja
04-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah, the Eldrazi seem a lot more fair in constructed where they have to deal with Path To Exile, Journey to Nowhere, Doom Blade, Terminate, Day of Judgement etc etc, but when it comes to the set itself there's not a lot of good ways to deal with them.

That said I look forward to trying out UlmagCrusher.dek in pauper when the set releases online.

benjibot
04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
:( (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/436)

:| (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/217)

I've been meaning to say something about how much I like the art for Time of Heroes specifically because it has a minotaur on it. A minotaur who isn't getting hurt in some way (yet).

Alixsar
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, the Eldrazi seem a lot more fair in constructed where they have to deal with Path To Exile, Journey to Nowhere, Doom Blade, Terminate, Day of Judgement etc etc, but when it comes to the set itself there's not a lot of good ways to deal with them.

That sounds about right. I look forward to mixing all the boxes me and my friends got together and then I'm okay with them around. But I didn't really see much in the Eldrazi set itself that could take them out easily, except for another Eldrazi. I dunno.

benjibot
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I guess the level up guys are supposed to be an answer from within the set. Seems like they really ought to have Banding though. That'd go along with the idea that everything in Zendikar is joining forces.

Mr. J
04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess the level up guys are supposed to be an answer from within the set. Seems like they really ought to have Banding though. That'd go along with the idea that everything in Zendikar is joining forces.

Oh dear god not banding. That combined with the new blocker rules would a nightmare.

GyroNinja
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh dear god not banding. That combined with the new blocker rules would a nightmare.

WW
Knight of the Rules Department
Creature - Human Knight
Level Up 2W

Level 0
Banding, Phasing, Cumulative Upkeep 2
Each enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment.
2/2

Level 1-3
All creatures become 1/1 and lose all abilities.
3/3

Level 4+
W Tap: Knight of the Rules Department loses this ability and becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it to target creature. You may pay W to end this effect.
Enchanted Creature has "If this creatures controller would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in his or her draw step each turn, that player discards a card instead. If the player discards a card this way, he or she draws a card. If the player doesn't discard a card this way, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard."
4/4

Kirin
04-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Getting a head start on the next unhinged/unglued set, are we?

Wheels
04-28-2010, 07:37 AM
How many of you guys play Elder Dragon Highlander?

Alpha Werewolf
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I've started sending out the pools. You lot have until tommorow, Thursday 9:00 PM GMT+2 to send in your decks.

Shadax
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Would it be possible to receive our Sealed pools as inventories?

ETA: Actually, it wouldn't be that much more of a pain to add everything on my list to my sideboard and work from there.

Mr. J
04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
How do you want us to send you our deck lists? Just PM you the text format?

Alpha Werewolf
04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Just send them as text. As long as I can import to MWS, I'll be fine ^_^

benjibot
04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Okay, I've got the deck and I'm looking at the cards but I'm having rather a hard time figuring out how I'm supposed to work with MWS to make changes. I only seem to see how to add and remove from the giant master list. How would I go about moving all this stuff to a sideboard anyway?

Sorry, but there's no possible way I'll have this done by 9 tomorrow.

Shadax
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Okay, I've got the deck and I'm looking at the cards but I'm having rather a hard time figuring out how I'm supposed to work with MWS to make changes. I only seem to see how to add and remove from the giant master list. How would I go about moving all this stuff to a sideboard anyway?

Sorry, but there's no possible way I'll have this done by 9 tomorrow.

MWS is kind of a shithole, to be honest. But what I ended up doing was changed the program to deck view (under the View option) and go down the list of what I got and ctrl-double click to put it in my sideboard. From there, I could edit the values to get a 40 card deck. The whole process took an hour, but I did read and think about nearly every card.

pence
04-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Me and a friend grabbed six packs of ROE each and tried out some sealed at my apartment. We had a good time and traded around the cards. For the heavy hitters, my friend took an All is Dust (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193658) we opened, and in return I grabbed the Deathless Angel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193629) and Student of Warfare (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193598).

Many times, he managed to kill me just by putting up a wall and keeping a Keening Stone (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193441) in play.

I think the saddest moment was when I was forced to Vendetta (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194922) a Pathrazer of Ulamog (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193607) in our first game.

Since it doesn't really fit in with anything I said above, I give you my hilarious game state of the day:
Horobi, Death's Wail (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=78854) + Deathless Angel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193629)

Assuming my rules-fu hasn't failed me, you can: activate Deathless Angel's ability to make target creature indestructible, triggering Horobi's ability. Horobi's ability goes on the stack above Deathless Angel's. Target creature is destroyed.

Kirin
04-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Many times, he managed to kill me just by putting up a wall and keeping a Keening Stone (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193441) in play.

Good lord, it's a Millstone on steroids.

Destil
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Likewise I had no time yesterday at work or last night. I should be able to build the deck pretty fast, I've played plenty of rav sealed, but it'll have to wait until I get home from work at 6-7PM (GMT -7).

benjibot
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Apparently running MWS on my MacBook makes the key shortcuts not work. I've tried every combination of key + double clicking and all it does is remove it from my deck entirely. I'm going to be spending more time fighting with the interface than anything.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Apparently running MWS on my MacBook makes the key shortcuts not work. I've tried every combination of key + double clicking and all it does is remove it from my deck entirely. I'm going to be spending more time fighting with the interface than anything.

Yeah, I'm glad I spent some time figuring out the interface of MWS. Because it is not user friendly, especially when running on boot camp on a Mac.

Mr. J
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
This (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=161874) has some good stuff to help. The short cut list is a must. When you're working with your pool you can use the Grey arrows in deck edit mode to move cards from main to sideboard. That's how I built my deck.

Alpha Werewolf
04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I'lll extend the deadline by two days for you guys.

Destil
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
My appliques, I haven't been able to get my hands on my good PC tonight and I'm sure as hell not going to try it on this netbook. Should hopefully have it done tomorrow evening.

Mr. J
04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
A bit more about the tourney structure. I'm thinking 3 rounds of swiss + cut to top 4?

Alpha Werewolf
05-01-2010, 02:31 AM
That's what I was thinking.

benjibot
05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
How many of you guys play Elder Dragon Highlander?

I'm going to be playing a game of it soon. Hopefully I can pull together sufficient cards to even make a deck. I'm honestly concerned about land, but probably some of the other players could help me out there.

I think I'll start with Wort, Boggart Auntie (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=140226) as my general.

Mr. J
05-01-2010, 01:04 PM
You shouldn't have too many issues with lands in a 2 color deck. There are plenty of common and uncommon lands you can use.
Terramorphic expanse
Evolving Wilds
Refuges
cycle lands
storage lands
Tri-lands/EBT lands
expanses

For example here's the mana bases for my two EDH decks

Uril, the Miststalker (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189645)
Vivid Grove
Vivid Meadow
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Teetering Peaks
Brushland
Forgotten Cave
Tranquil Thicket
Secluded Steppe
Fungal Reaches
Saltcrusted Steppe
Boros Garrison
Gruul Turf
Sunpetal Grove
Rootbound Crag
Raging Ravine
Stirring Wildwood
Arid Mesa
Sacred Foundry
Stomping Ground
Temple Garden
Wooded Bastion
Exotic Orchard
Tinder farm
Gemstone Mine
Jungle Shrine
Ancient Ziggurat
tectonic Edge
Temple of the False God
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Terramorphic Expanse
2x plains
2x mountain
2x forest

Wrexial, the Risen Deep (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=197840)
Temple of the False God
Mishra's Factory
Reliquary Tower
Cabal Coffers
Tainted Isle
Barren Moor
Lonely Sandbar
Halimar depths
Gargoyle Castle
Dread Statuary
Faerie Conclave
Grixis Panorama
Esper Panorama
11x Swamp
12x Island

Neither of these is anywhere near complete and I just barely put Wrexial together so I need to trade for some cards, but look at the non-basics. You should be perfectly fine with what you have already. A few words of advice.

Your curve will be much higher than in constructed decks.

Removal is really important.

Make sure you have a way to deal with artifacts and enchantments.

Have some sweepers (stuff like EQ, Damnation, Decree of Pain).

all of you creatures that cost 1-3 mana should have a relevant ability.

Non-basic land destruction works really well in EDH.

Don't worry if you deck isn't very good right now, you can pick up a lot of really good cards really easily. Ask people for their extended binders and you will find a lot of good stuff.

Don't under-value artifacts. Stuff like coalition relic, mind stone and signets are EDH staples. Then you have the power artifacts like Sol Ring and Disk.

Also, I like to run 36-39 lands in my EDH decks so I can hit all of my land-drops.

Alixsar
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Oh shit Eldrazi draft todayyyyyy

Last night I hung out with a friend of mine and he bought one of those "duel" packs with Garruk and Liliana. It was pretty great! Those things are the best idea.

benjibot
05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I keep seeing that Phyrexia vs. The Coalition pack but I dunno. Something about the design just doesn't appeal to me in a purely superficial way. I'd love, love, love to play the Elves vs. Goblins one though.

Guesty
05-01-2010, 05:31 PM
So I want to get into this game, and I have some free old cards and 2 starter decks from the Kamigawa block.

How should I really get into this game? I'm thinking of trying drafts at a game store, but I believe they're once every friday and from what I read draft is a really difficult format. (However, if I can keep the cards I drafted, I'll definitely consider it)

How would I get into the game without much cost? And is it better to buy boosters or individual cards?

And what should I keep in mind if I decide to draft? (I read a bit about giving signals which I'm not sure how that applies, or why you want to pass the person beside you cards that they want)

Mr. J
05-01-2010, 05:39 PM
So I want to get into this game, and I have some free old cards and 2 starter decks from the Kamigawa block.

How should I really get into this game? I'm thinking of trying drafts at a game store, but I believe they're once every friday and from what I read draft is a really difficult format. (However, if I can keep the cards I drafted, I'll definitely consider it)

How would I get into the game without much cost? And is it better to buy boosters or individual cards?

And what should I keep in mind if I decide to draft? (I read a bit about giving signals which I'm not sure how that applies, or why you want to pass the person beside you cards that they want)

Drafting is an okay way to get into the game, but it requires a fair amount of skill. You need to know how to deck-build, you need to know the format and you need to know how to evaluate cards. Those aren't exactly beginner's skills. I would suggest putting together a standard deck, there are several decent ones that are fairly cheap and aren't entirely rotating this fall. Then go play at some FNMs and see how you do.

Peach
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM

If you're playing casual (as you should be, seeing as how you're just starting and all), start by picking up an intro pack from a recent set, or use one of the ones you own, play a few games with it so you get a feel for it and are able to discern its central themes, then start buying singles that support those themes (don't worry, the best cards for this will mostly be from the same set, block, and the most recent core set). Continue refining the deck, removing cards that aren't contributing, and getting four each of the ones that do so you draw them more consistently. An excellent example of this style of deckbuilding are Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar's old Building on Budget articles (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/jm124).

Two basic deck-building tenets to keep in mind are that you generally want 24 cards that produce mana, so that you can generally play what you draw, and to have most of your cards cost 2 or 3 mana (the so-called Mana Curve), since that's the sweet spot of power and playability. You want to significantly cut back on the number of 4 and 5 cost cards, and anything more expensive than that should generally be a game-winner. Once you grok these principles, you can start experimenting with mana-acceleration to skew the mana cost of your deck higher, or cut back on your mana base if your deck plays only cheap, 1 or 2 cost threats.

Draft shares many of these rules, but adds several new layers. It's fun, but I'd recommend starting with casual constructed decks.

And - this cannot be overemphasized - read the rulebook (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules).

Alpha Werewolf
05-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Two basic deck-building tenets to keep in mind are that you generally want 24 cards that produce mana, so that you can generally play what you draw, and to have most of your cards cost 2 or 3 mana (the so-called Mana Curve), since that's the sweet spot of power and playability. You want to significantly cut back on the number of 4 and 5 cost cards, and anything more expensive than that should generally be a game-winner. Once you grok these principles, you can start experimenting with mana-acceleration to skew the mana cost of your deck higher, or cut back on your mana base if your deck plays only cheap, 1 or 2 cost threats.

I'm sorry, that's not it at ALL. The concept of the mana curve says that if you play a threat on turns, say, 2-3-4-5, you are more likely to win than if you had played one on turn 5 only. It's hard to explain in a couple sentences - I'm sure Mike Flores has a good article on it though.

Mr. J
05-01-2010, 11:01 PM
The reason you need to look at your mana curve is because fully utilizing all of your mana is important. Say you have a hand of 4 plains, path to exile, elspeth and a baneslayer. That looks like quite a hand would definitely swing the game later, but what about those first few turns? Having 0 board presence by turn 5 means that that baneslayer means almost nothing, and will prolly eat removal. Now, imagine a hand of noble hierarch, knight of the reliquary, ajani vengeant, forest, arid mesa, plains, path to exile. You can use all of your mana every single turn. T1 noble hierarch, T2 Knight, T3 ajani with path mana open. That's a huge board presence comparably.

What I would suggest is that you should twice as many cards 4 mana and below as 5 and above.

Here (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/ash24) is a good quick break-down

"The most successful and – I will venture – the most important red deck ever is Sligh. This name references a mono-red deck featuring small, fast creatures combined with direct damage. This archetype is especially key because it advanced the overall Magic strategy by making the concept of mana curve mainstream. Mana curve is an application of math to Magic where you attempt to maximize your chances of utilizing every point of mana that you are able to generate every single turn. That means playing with a certain number of creatures/spells that cost one mana, two mana, three mana, etc. The math an original Sligh deck was built upon breaks down approximately like this:

1 mana slot: 9-13
2 mana slot: 6-8
3 mana slot: 3-5
4 mana slot: 1-3
X spell: 2-3
Removal/Burn: 8-10"

Even though the original sligh deck played awful cards, a terrible creature that gets played is better than the best creature in the game that you can't cast because you're dead.

Peach
05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry, that's not it at ALL. The concept of the mana curve says that if you play a threat on turns, say, 2-3-4-5, you are more likely to win than if you had played one on turn 5 only. It's hard to explain in a couple sentences - I'm sure Mike Flores has a good article on it though.

Well, yes. I threw the term in there as an afterthought, really. And while having more cards on the lower end of the spectrum isn't the whole of the mana curve, it is an important component, as it's what enables you to make those early plays.

A quick advisory to Guesty: the deck Mr. J referenced - Sligh - is referred to as an 'aggro' deck - one focused on playing cheap, quick creatures and direct damage spells that overwhelm an opponent before they can establish a board position. Its 'mana curve' skews lower than nearly any other type of deck, because it should kill its opponent before either player has an opportunity to cast expensive spells. Most aggro decks need to have a turn-one play, but any deck that plays at all aggressively should play something by turn two.

On an unrelated note, you should consider starting with a Green or White deck, since those are, in general, the most straightforward colors, with efficient creatures and mostly proactive spells. Of course, if any particular color tickles your fancy, that's fine, but in order of complexity, I'd place the colors as White/Green -> Red -> Black -> Blue. Black's entire shtick is that power comes at cost, and balancing the cost-to-benefit ratio can occasionally be tricky. Blue is the most reactive color, and often relies on you being able to anticipate opponents actions. They're mostly balanced though, and once you have the hang of game, you should have no problem with any.

Alixsar
05-01-2010, 11:49 PM
So I drafted terribly, but the Eldrazi set is pretty awesome! Much better than that worldwake nonsense.

FSS
05-02-2010, 01:55 AM
I used to play magic with my brother all the time, but we got out of it when he moved in his dorm. This was around the Planeshift/Invasion/7th edition era. However there was a comic shop in the vacinity of his collage that was having an unofficial tournament of sorts a few years back. Any cards from any era could be used, so we decided to try it out for fun. So me and my brother get our minds together and build this deck that could usually just win on the third or fourth turn by casting a buncha spells and using tendrils of agony (drain 2 life from a player, storm). I still enjoy the conversation that we had with the sponsor, it went something like this:

Us: So you can use any card pretty much?
Sponsor: Pretty much, except for a few cards that are overpowered. *Names off a bunch of cards, including Yawgmoth's Bargain*
Us: What? Yawgmoth's Bargain is banned? Why?
Sponsor: Well how does your deck work?
Us: Well you cast bargain, and then you win.
Sponsor: Yeah, that's why it's banned.

Long story short, we didn't end up playing in the tournament, but the trip was still fun because I got to visit my brother.

MTG players in the flesh are hard to come by nowdays...

Sanagi
05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
On the topic of advice for Magic newbs: Here are some fundamental cards you should own and play in casual Magic(I'm assuming every format is legal in your group)...

Terramorphic Expanse (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=209159) - Multi-color lands make a huge difference in the consistency of your decks and this one offers great power and versatility for a fifty-cent common. Buy twelve. Or twenty-four.

Disenchant (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201162)/Naturalize (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193439)/Counterspell (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=185820)/Lightning Bolt (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191089)/Terror (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=135199) - The expansions that come out every year will present you with hundreds of new problems. The solutions remain the same.

Llanowar Elves (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189878) - This card is a crucial ingredient in %99 of green decks.

Demonic Tutor (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193867)/Enlightened Tutor (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=15355)/Vampiric Tutor (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=15393) - Any deck you want to build around some weird card can be made more consistent with a Tutor. These cost a little more but you only need one copy each(for the vintage restricted ones anyway) and they will stay in your decks forever.

Alpha Werewolf
05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Terramorphic Expanse (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=209159) - Multi-color lands make a huge difference in the consistency of your decks and this one offers great power and versatility for a fifty-cent common. Buy twelve. Or twenty-four.

Also the new Evolving Wilds.

Anyway! I still haven't gotten all the decks. You know who you are!

Kirin
05-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Unless the rules have changed even more than I thought, you can only put up to four copies of anything that's not a basic land in a deck, so that might be a little bit of overkill.

Disenchant (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201162)/Naturalize (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193439)/Counterspell (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=185820)/Lightning Bolt (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191089)/Terror (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=135199) - The expansions that come out every year will present you with hundreds of new problems. The solutions remain the same.

Whoa, there's a green disenchant now? Freaky. That sure would've come in handy in my old mainstay deck.

Llanowar Elves (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189878) - This card is a crucial ingredient in %99 of green decks.

This, on the other hand, definitely *was* in my mainstay deck 15 years ago.

Alpha Werewolf
05-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Unless the rules have changed even more than I thought, you can only put up to four copies of anything that's not a basic land in a deck, so that might be a little bit of overkill.

He's saying to get that many because it goes into any casual multicolor deck. And he's right! I'd like to have 16 or so myself.

Alpha Werewolf
05-03-2010, 12:06 PM
(I double post because I can!)

I have all the decks. I'll put up pairning tommorow.

benjibot
05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
The local TRU still had a WorldWake fat pack so I picked it up. Fat packs are pretty great. The full art land pack really sealed it for me. Love these Zendikar lands. I unwrapped my third and fourth Basilisk Collar. I still haven't found one of those multiple color lands that turn into creatures.

I'm definitely going to hunt down an Eldrazi fat pack. I don't know why I love the 20 sideds with the expansion symbol on them, but I do.

Mr. J
05-03-2010, 09:18 PM
So some recent MWS testing and adding sphinx of lost truths has reinvigorated my love for dredge. Officially ordered all of the cards I need for it. I just hope that all of the gy hate from reanimator doesn't hate me out!

Alpha Werewolf
05-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Here we go folks. And remember: We want video and/or text reports of the matches!

Round 1:
Destil v. Nodal
Red Hedgehog v.GyroNinja
Boojum v. Shadax
Mr. J v. benjibot

EDIT: WAIT! Don't play yet. I was sure I had Destil's deck too, but I don't. We're all waiting for you now!

Alixsar
05-05-2010, 05:17 PM
So, evidently, at some point Wizards announced an expansion to the XBLA title Duels of the Planeswalkers. WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS

Mr. J
05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
My next 2 days are gonna be very busy so I won't be able to play a match until Friday late night or early Saturday(West coast time).

benjibot
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
My next 2 days are gonna be very busy so I won't be able to play a match until Friday late night or early Saturday(West coast time).

That's cool. I'm off until Monday.

My local comic shop is now selling the half decks that Wizards gives out to teach people how to play Magic. They were giving these out in the goody bag at C2E2 also, so I already had the black one. The black deck was mostly full of cards from 10th edition, so I thought that maybe the red deck was the same and it might even have a couple of Lightning Bolts. Turns out, it's all Lorwyn cards right down to the lands. Some pretty decent goblins in there, including the poor man's Siege Gang Commander from that set.

Kind of wonder what's in the other half decks now.

Mr. J
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Actually I can play tonight if you're ready benji. Just send me a PM

Destil
05-05-2010, 07:39 PM
EDIT: WAIT! Don't play yet. I was sure I had Destil's deck too, but I don't. We're all waiting for you now!
Sorry, Dude. Honestly thought you replaced me because I'd been slow to reply when you said you had all the decks. Should have it in an hour or so (assuming I figure out MWS's horrid interface in that timeframe).

Ben1842
05-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I have limited TCG experience.

1. I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh like 8 years ago (Just for fun with friends)
2. I played the Magic: The Gathering DOS game like 15 years ago
3. I played Card Fighters Clash on Neo Geo Pocket Color
4. I bought that new Magic the Gathering game on XBLA but haven't played it much...

I like TCGs but I can never really settle down and get into one.

Wolfgang
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Love these Zendikar lands. I unwrapped my third and fourth Basilisk Collar. I still haven't found one of those multiple color lands that turn into creatures.

I've got one of those. Unfortunately I don't have a blue deck, though, so I never use it. But yeah, the Zendikar land effects are awesome - my black/white deck has swamps and plains that deal direct damage while giving me life. Which is pretty much the theme, and therefore everyone hates my deck.

Destil
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Dear god, why is there no cost/color sort in MWS?

Sealed deck sent.

Alpha Werewolf
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Okay, there you go.

Round 1:
Destil v. Nodal
Red Hedgehog v.GyroNinja
Boojum v. Shadax
Mr. J v. benjibot

I'd like you all to finish within a week, if possible. And of course, writeups and/or videos!

Mr. J
05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Just shoot me a PM with what times work for you, Benjibot. I can play most any day this week after 3-4 PM, except Wednesday.

Alpha Werewolf
05-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Was in the prerelease today. Went 3-2, but I opened some great stuff. I played all three of these to hilariously good results:

Student of Warfare
Linvala, Keeper of Silence (I think)
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief (who is broken beyond belief in sealed)

Mr. J
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Was in the prerelease today. Went 3-2, but I opened some great stuff. I played all three of these to hilariously good results:

Student of Warfare
Linvala, Keeper of Silence (I think)
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief (who is broken beyond belief in sealed)

Drana is the best card in the set in limited. She's just so brutal. How'd you do with student and drana in the same deck? That's quite color intensive.

Alpha Werewolf
05-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Drana is the best card in the set in limited. She's just so brutal. How'd you do with student and drana in the same deck? That's quite color intensive.

I played just two colours, and in my experience it doesn't matter too much in a slow format. What's sad, though, is the fact that I was land screwed in almost every single game that I lost. And the other, I was colour screwed while my opponents (who played three colours) did fine.

Sanagi
05-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Magicthegathering.com put together a page for all the old joke cards from the Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/90). These were always a highlight of the magazine. Too bad Disrobing Scepter didn't make it into Unglued.

shpladoink
05-11-2010, 02:06 AM
anyone wanna play yugioh with me :B

Alixsar
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Magicthegathering.com put together a page for all the old joke cards from the Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/90). These were always a highlight of the magazine. Too bad Disrobing Scepter didn't make it into Unglued.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against that card's ability.

pence
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Kill Me Now, Please is great. I would probably put that in my EDH deck because I'm one of those guys.

Edit:
Target Target targets target spell that targets target permanent. Target targeted by Target Target cannot be the target of spells or abilities that target permanents.

Since the first sentence implies that Target Target targets both a spell and a permanent ("target spell... target permanent"), this leads to some potential confusion with the second sentence. Ignoring the fact that the second sentence implies Target Target only has ONE target, it also implies that its target cannot be the target of spells that target permanents. Spells like, say, Target Target. But which target? The target spell, or the target permanent?

Peach
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Target Target is a walking rules error. I might've been able to parse it properly if it was a sorcery or instant, but as an artifact, it just breaks my brain in half.

Mr. J
05-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Since the first sentence implies that Target Target targets both a spell and a permanent ("target spell... target permanent"), this leads to some potential confusion with the second sentence. Ignoring the fact that the second sentence implies Target Target only has ONE target, it also implies that its target cannot be the target of spells that target permanents. Spells like, say, Target Target. But which target? The target spell, or the target permanent?

I would assume it is the permanent because then the card actually makes sense. It simply gives "shroud" to a permanent, but requires a spell targeting it to be on the stack because there is no Until End of Turn on Target Target. Also as an artifact it would have to have flash and the ability would need to be a Comes Into Play ability (or for all you M10 people, Enters the Battlefield). As a sorcery it would make absolutely no sense, but as an instant it works fine. Also, the Blue casting cost on an artifact isn't as odd anymore.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against that card's ability.
Ever hear about the woman who took her pants off at an unglued tournament because of this card (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=8904)? That's why they didn't print any clothing cards in unhinged.

Peach
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
I would assume it is the permanent because then the card actually makes sense. It simply gives "shroud" to a permanent, but requires a spell targeting it to be on the stack because there is no Until End of Turn on Target Target. Also as an artifact it would have to have flash and the ability would need to be a Comes Into Play ability (or for all you M10 people, Enters the Battlefield). As a sorcery it would make absolutely no sense, but as an instant it works fine. Also, the Blue casting cost on an artifact isn't as odd anymore.

There's almost an interesting card in there, if a) the first line didn't violate how targeting works, and b) was a cantrip. If it was properly worded, it might go something like this:

Target spell that targets a permanent and the permanent that it targets cannot be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.

A card can "look up" whether the spell or ability it's targeting is, in turn, targeting something else, but I'm not sure it can "care" what it's targeting. I could be wrong, and if I am, the answer probably has something like "destroy target creature enchanted by target aura". Also note that it might not, under the rules as written, have to have the effect wear off at the end of turn, though that's usually explicated and rarely done.

And artifacts usually don't have nothing but a comes into play effect!

Goddamn I hate Magic.

Kirin
05-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Disrobing Scepter would be perfectly fine as long as the players aren't under-age and you don't use more than five or so times per game in a public venue (depending on the ambient temperature).

Big Red actually looks like an interesting card, and at first glance I'm not sure whether or not it's terribly broken in any way. I'd certainly be willing to try it in my old R/G deck, though I'd need to swap in some more treefolk first.

Green Doesn't Suck Now, on the other hand, is obviously overpowered, but might be interesting with a few tweaks.

I vaguely remember when people actually cared about ante.

Double Dog Dare could be fun in a... private.. game.

pence
05-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Green Doesn't Suck Now might as well be Eldrazi Monument (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193398). Sorta.

Mr. J
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
There's almost an interesting card in there, if a) the first line didn't violate how targeting works, and b) was a cantrip. If it was properly worded, it might go something like this

The issue isn't with the targeting, but rather the lack of clarity in which target. It could be the spell or it could be the permanent, the card does not state which.

A card can "look up" whether the spell or ability it's targeting is, in turn, targeting something else, but I'm not sure it can "care" what it's targeting. I could be wrong, and if I am, the answer probably has something like "destroy target creature enchanted by target aura". Also note that it might not, under the rules as written, have to have the effect wear off at the end of turn, though that's usually explicated and rarely done.

And artifacts usually don't have nothing but a comes into play effect!

Goddamn I hate Magic.

Yep (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=108886)

But that's the best part of magic! There are so many crazy things you can do. For example, if you have an admonition angel in play, you can cast harrow, let the triggers from the lands ETB go on the stack and then sacrifice the angel and you end up with 2 permanents exiled forever.

Thraeg
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey Shadax, are you still planning to play in this? Sent you a PM a couple of days ago to set up our match.

Sanagi
05-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Today for whatever reason I happened to think a little about the MTG card face redesign (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=sideboard/ptchi03/unveiling)(aka Death of Magic #1207), which happened... Seven years ago at this point? I don't know why it crossed my mind, but I felt like I could look back and say, with the clarity of hindsight, that they were right to want to refresh the game's look and fix issues like poor text visibility, but the result was so boring that it really did kill the game for me. I still peek my head into the Magic world from time to time and I think it's amazing how long it's stayed top-notch in terms of game design, but I can't get into it the way I did before 8th and Mirrodin.

GyroNinja
05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
But that's the best part of magic! There are so many crazy things you can do. For example, if you have an admonition angel in play, you can cast harrow, let the triggers from the lands ETB go on the stack and then sacrifice the angel and you end up with 2 permanents exiled forever.

Yeah, that trick works best with Journey to Nowhere or Oblivion Ring, especially with bounce spells, since you can remove multiple creatures that way. I've seen people draft Journey (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=177505) and AEther Tradewinds (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201568) in ZZW, and it can be really nasty.

Alpha Werewolf
05-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Are you guys playing your matches?

Thraeg
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Haven't gotten any response to PMing Shadax or posting here, so not sure if he's still planning to play.

Mr. J
05-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm still waiting for a response.

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey, due to various personal reasons, I won't be able to commit to playing my matches. I'm sorry.

Alpha Werewolf
05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, they just announced Archenemy (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/91).

It's AWESOME.

Kirin
05-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Huh, yeah, that actually looks pretty great.

The problem I foresee is that everybody will want to be the evil mastermind. But I guess if you have enough time for (# of players) games, you can just rotate.

Sanagi
05-17-2010, 06:37 AM
That definitely looks like the best thing Wizards has ever made specifically for multiplayer. I might have to break my MTG abstinence to get that.

Thraeg
05-17-2010, 11:12 AM
It's sad that I'm the only one around these parts playing WoWTCG. Archenemy looks like a straight-up clone of the raid decks I've been playing for years. It's lots of fun!

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/274708404_WDoBK-L-2.jpg

Alpha Werewolf
05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
It's sad that I'm the only one around these parts playing WoWTCG. Archenemy looks like a straight-up clone of the raid decks I've been playing for years. It's lots of fun!

*sigh* could you people stop making that comparison? It's NOT that. It's not a raid, it's a final boss fight.

pence
05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Heyyy, it was easy to miss, but Duels of the Planeswalkers expansion 2 is out. I don't have too much to say about it, except three new decks, some new cards, more puzzles, and some UI improvements (activating abilities multiple times with one click, which sorta works since the priority rules are already glossed over a bit). I'm at the point where I buy these sight unseen, since you get all that for less than the price of two boosters.

The Sorin Markov vampire aggro deck is predictably mean, and they still haven't opened up the Nicol Bolas Jund deck for players, probably because it would be too mean.

Thraeg
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
*sigh* could you people stop making that comparison? It's NOT that. It's not a raid, it's a final boss fight.

I don't know who "you people" are, and I hadn't heard of Archenemy before you posted it here just now, so I'm just going based on the article you posted. Whether you call it a "raid" or a "final boss fight" is just semantics when the format is largely the same (one player vs. several, the one gets extra life and flips over a random event/scheme card at the beginning of every turn). The only major difference I can see is that the Archenemy's main deck uses standard cards rather than unique themed ones.

There's certainly nothing wrong with borrowing good ideas from other games (obviously just about all TCGs take a lot from Magic). But it pretty clearly is a borrowed idea, and I don't get why you feel the need to deny that rather than crediting where it's due. Anyway, my point is that it's a fun format, and you should all look forward to it.

Alixsar
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Archenemy sounds perfect for my friends and I. We play Two Headed sometimes but it`s not that fun. But this sounds perfect.

Alpha Werewolf
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't know who "you people" are, and I hadn't heard of Archenemy before you posted it here just now, so I'm just going based on the article you posted. Whether you call it a "raid" or a "final boss fight" is just semantics when the format is largely the same (one player vs. several, the one gets extra life and flips over a random event/scheme card at the beginning of every turn). The only major difference I can see is that the Archenemy's main deck uses standard cards rather than unique themed ones.

There's certainly nothing wrong with borrowing good ideas from other games (obviously just about all TCGs take a lot from Magic). But it pretty clearly is a borrowed idea, and I don't get why you feel the need to deny that rather than crediting where it's due. Anyway, my point is that it's a fun format, and you should all look forward to it.

I'm annoyed at all the people who said "oh look they stole raid decks from WoW durr hurr". These are the same people who said "oh look they stole ultra-rare rares from YGO durr hurr", so when I saw the comic I assumed that's what you said.

It's not though. So you're fine! For now.

Mr. J
05-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually when they came out with mythic rares, Maro sighted the fact that other card games have 4 tiers of rarity as a reasoning. So you could say that it was because of YGO...

Also, doesn't wizards make the WOWTCG? So I can see the raid decks being a sort of inspiration. Not the inspiration, but it undoubtedly had an effect.
edit

Nevermind number 2

shivam
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
upper deck made the wow game.

Mr. J
05-24-2010, 07:41 PM
So are we pronouncing the sealed tournament canceled?

Alpha Werewolf
05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Seems like it.

Guesty
05-28-2010, 08:29 PM
So I just drafted Rise of the Eldrazi (my very first draft). Predictably I didn't do so well but I had fun!

I tried drafting a green/red/black deck (black was mostly for removal) which focused on getting Eldrazi Spawn out to get some bigger Eldrazi guys out (I had Hand of Emrakul and Ulamog's Crusher). On retrospect I passed too many level up creatures as I believed that they were useless due to having a high mana cost to level, but then I got owned by opponents using them (I didn't realize the format was this slow...it was so slow that 2 of my games were draws due to time). I also had too few bombs as I was worried about drafting a bad curve, but I had nothing to win the game with except my big Eldrazi.

I had trouble with the actual drafting process and deckbuilding...I also discovered that playing is pretty intense, especially attacking! I ended up either being land flooded or having dead cards in my hand.

It was fun, though. The people there were pretty all right. I also got a foil Mind Control as a door prize.

Shadax
05-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Jeez, sorry everyone! I was kind of underestimating finals, much less the personal life shenanigans that came up, and have rarely been around these parts recently. Sorry I played a major role in this failing.

Guesty
05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
One more question for you guys:

Is Magic the Gathering: Online worth it? I'm really on the fence about using it. On one hand the only time I can really play in real life is on Fridays at my game shop (I don't really know any friends that play Magic) and I only really can draft (unless I can buy a cheap deck), and in MTG:O, I can draft almost any time with any set (not just Rise, as my store only drafts the lastest set). On the other hand I can't redeem my online cards unless I have a full set.

For anyone who uses or have used the program, what are your opinions?

shivam
05-31-2010, 02:39 PM
MTGO is the worst kind of money sink.

Eddie
05-31-2010, 02:49 PM
One more question for you guys:

Is Magic the Gathering: Online worth it? I'm really on the fence about using it. On one hand the only time I can really play in real life is on Fridays at my game shop (I don't really know any friends that play Magic) and I only really can draft (unless I can buy a cheap deck), and in MTG:O, I can draft almost any time with any set (not just Rise, as my store only drafts the lastest set). On the other hand I can't redeem my online cards unless I have a full set.

For anyone who uses or have used the program, what are your opinions?

I stopped playing several years ago, but Shivam is right in that it can be a huge money sink. The online market in particular is often extreme; terrible commons will go for next to nothing, where good rares can easily be selling for a virtual "20 dollars" or more, sometimes twice or more what it'd cost to actually own the card.

I did enjoy my experience with the program tho, even after all the money was spent.

- Eddie

Destil
05-31-2010, 03:12 PM
MTGO is the majority of the magic play these days. Since I mostly just play sealed/draft the money isn't a huge issue, it's not really much more expensive than paper if you're not doing constructed (and the reward structure is pretty good).

If you're interested in constructed games, especially competitive ones, it can be pretty pricey. Especially extended...

Mr. J
06-01-2010, 01:00 AM
So today I did my first cube draft (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/15205.html). I must say it was quite awesome and I was surprised at how viable some archetypes were. It was a pauper cube (commons and uncommons) with 4 rares because they were people's pet cards and I actually built a vicious control deck (I completely locked several people out of the game with capsize (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4691)). My other revelation is just how stupid powerful Skullclamp (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194978) + Spectral Procession (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=152070) + Cloudgoat Ranger (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=139664) yah.

Anyone else cubed before?

Alpha Werewolf
06-01-2010, 03:18 AM
I'd love to cube, but my only regular place is half an hour away and I can't drive yet.

TheSL
06-01-2010, 05:25 AM
For whatever reason I started playing Pokemon cards for the first time in over ten years. This card buying shit is a lot harder to reign in once you have a lot bigger expendable income.

Alpha Werewolf
06-01-2010, 05:53 AM
For whatever reason I started playing Pokemon cards for the first time in over ten years. This card buying shit is a lot harder to reign in once you have a lot bigger expendable income.

Man, I always wanted to play that. I especially want to play some sort of Sealed, or just with the precons.

Is there any online platform for it?

TheSL
06-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Unless there's a fan-made one or something there's no online version that I'm aware of. The last official electronic one was on the GBC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_%28video_game%29).

Eddie
06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
My other revelation is just how stupid powerful Skullclamp (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194978) + 39 other cards yah.

- Eddie

Thraeg
06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
After a testing session last night, I conclusively determined that the deck I had planned to play in this weekend's continental championships isn't as good as a new one I threw together in a sudden flash of inspiration a couple of days ago.

This is mostly a good thing, and I feel a bit more optimistic about my chances, but it does mean that the singles I bought to fill out the old deck and the time spent testing and refining it over the past few weeks was in vain, and I won't have enough time to fine-tune the new one as much as I'd like.

Alpha Werewolf
06-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey guys look what I found!

http://lackeyccg.com/

A freeware ccg engine, and it runs pokemon:

http://www.lackeyccg.com/pokemon/

Guesty
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
So MTG's developers are talking about what will and won't come back in M11.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/93

One thing I'm surprised about is their decision to bring back Baneslayer Angel. It just doesn't sit well with me to have an overpowered card that separates the rich players from the poor (I'd feel better about it if it didn't have first strike). I haven't played enough to have a first hand impression but I just don't have a good feeling about Baneslayer. I guess I'll stick to drafting then. Then again, more Baneslayers could mean a price reduction.

Oh, they also put Shivian Dragon out. He seems like a fun card :(

To be honest though I'm still exited for what's up next, though. I hope to be getting more into the game soon.

Alpha Werewolf
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
One thing I'm surprised about is their decision to bring back Baneslayer Angel. It just doesn't sit well with me to have an overpowered card that separates the rich players from the poor (I'd feel better about it if it didn't have first strike). I haven't played enough to have a first hand impression but I just don't have a good feeling about Baneslayer. I guess I'll stick to drafting then. Then again, more Baneslayers could mean a price reduction.
More Baneslayers reduces their price, yeah. And Baneslayers are absolutly not a must-play in this Standard.

Oh, they also put Shivian Dragon out. He seems like a fun card :(

He sucks.

What do you guys think about our very own prerelease of M11? We just do a Sealed tourney when it comes out.

Tanto
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I was very bored today and dreamed up a very silly EDH deck starring a very silly general with a couple of very silly themes. It's not very good, I'd imagine, and I'll never play it (what with the "no cards" thing and all) but it looks fun. Most of all, though, it looks very silly.

YOU MUST DEFEAT ZHURONG TO STAND A CHANCE.dec

GENERAL
Lady Zhurong, Warrior Queen

CREATURES (34)
Acidic Slime
Argothian Enchantress
Aura Gnarlid
Avenger of Zendikar
Bramble Elemental
Chameleon Colossus
Cytoplast Root-Kin
Dowsing Shaman
Drove of Elves
Endless Wurm
Eternal Witness
Fangren Firstborn
Forgotten Ancient
Fungal Behemoth
Gatherer of Graces
Kazandu Tuskcaller
Living Hive
Phantom Centaur
Plated Slagwurm
Protean Hydra
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Seedborn Muse
Silhana Ledgewalker
Solemn Simulacrum
Spike Feeder
Spike Weaver
Tornado Elemental
Troll Ascetic
Verdant Force
Verduran Enchantress
Vigor
Yavimaya Dryad
Yavimaya Elder
Yavimaya Enchantress

ARTIFACTS (1)
Skullclamp

ENCHANTMENTS (26)
Abundance
Ancestral Mask
Aspect of Mongoose
Bear Umbra
Beastmaster Ascension
Carpet of Flowers
Centaur Glade
Concordant Crossroads
Defense of the Heart
Doubling Season
Eldrazi Conscription
Enchantress's Presence
Gaea's Anthem
Gaea's Touch
Greater Good
Lurking Predators
Mana Reflection
Mirri's Guile
Moldervine Cloak
Pattern of Rebirth
Rancor
Seal of Primordium
Shape of the Wiitigo
Spidersilk Armor
Sylvan Library
Wurmweaver Coil

INSTANTS and SORCERIES (2)
Beacon of Creation
Strength of the Tajuru

PLANESWALKERS (1)
Garruk Wildspeaker

LANDS (35)
26 Forest
Gaea's Cradle
Jungle Basin
Llanowar Reborn
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Reliquary Tower
Slippery Karst
Tranquil Thicket
Treetop Village
Yavimaya Hollow

Can be roughly divided into "things that like Doubling Season" and "things that like Enchantments".

Sanagi
06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
So MTG's developers are talking about what will and won't come back in M11.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/93
Bit funny to see an official behind-the-scenes MTG writer who doesn't know why Serra Angel was removed from 5th... It's the same reason Sengir Vampire left. It was an attempt to make blue the best color for flying creatures, at the cost of taking anything better than Air Elemental out of the core set. It took a few years for them to realize that they had crippled one of Magic's most popular creature categories, the mid-range flyer, and overturn the decision.

(That said, Air Elemental, while dull, is a better card than most players give it credit for...)

Alpha Werewolf
06-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Bit funny to see an official behind-the-scenes MTG writer who doesn't know why Serra Angel was removed from 5th... It's the same reason Sengir Vampire left. It was an attempt to make blue the best color for flying creatures, at the cost of taking anything better than Air Elemental out of the core set. It took a few years for them to realize that they had crippled one of Magic's most popular creature categories, the mid-range flyer, and overturn the decision.

(That said, Air Elemental, while dull, is a better card than most players give it credit for...)

Actually, they removed Serra Angel for being too good. Not kidding.

TheSL
06-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Hey guys look what I found!

http://lackeyccg.com/

A freeware ccg engine, and it runs pokemon:

http://www.lackeyccg.com/pokemon/

Looks interesting, maybe we'll have to play a game of Pokemon some time.

Alpha Werewolf
06-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Looks interesting, maybe we'll have to play a game of Pokemon some time.
Here are two thoughts:
-precon war, only from a single set (or a selection of them)
-precon-mix-war, where we pick two or three precons from a single set (or multiple sets), and use them as our pool to build a new deck.

I don't like constructed much, but anything limited is great!

Mr. J
06-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Go go warped standard environment!
(http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=std&start_date=2010-06-06&end_date=2010-06-06&city=Philadelphia)
*sigh* I'd love to play standard, but all of the competitive decks cost too much between jace, vengevine, gideon and baneslayer.

:(

Alpha Werewolf
06-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Go go warped standard environment!
(http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=std&start_date=2010-06-06&end_date=2010-06-06&city=Philadelphia)
*sigh* I'd love to play standard, but all of the competitive decks cost too much between jace, vengevine, gideon and baneslayer.

:(

You don't have to play U/W. Vengevine is only played in a certain variant of Jund, you have RDW, various Ramp variants...

Mr. J
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I'd run RDW but I can't find the goblin guides and most ramp decks run U for jace

Alpha Werewolf
06-06-2010, 03:18 AM
Here's an intersting piece from dailymtg:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/td/93

It contains PTQ top 8-ing and winning decks as of a couple weeks ago. Interesting budget decks that come to mind:

-Gruul Haste is pretty cute, but you said you can't find Goblin Guides.
-A Jund variant played by Jörg Unfried.
-Vampires can wreck some metagames. Not in the article, but worth mentioning.
-Baneslayer Angel will drop in price soon, when reprinted in M11. consider white decks with no blue.
-Zvi Mowshowitz's deck from here (http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardsmtg#p/u/12/md5GpKZyhPA) is also pretty awesome, but it plays Vengevines. It IS block constructed, mind, but I think he said he'd be happy to play this deck in Standard with a few adjustments.

Really, the only cards you should be avoiding in budget are Jace and Gideon. Baneslayer will drop pretty soon, and Vengevine isn't crazy-expensive just yet - 40$ on SCG, and their prices are generally above average.

Mr. J
06-06-2010, 12:56 PM
The problem is I would rather drop $200 on a playset of forces than $160 on a playset of vengevines. For the cost of building some decks I could build multiple EDH decks, or a whole legacy deck.

shivam
06-06-2010, 01:09 PM
so anyone wanna play mtg on xbla?

Thraeg
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
This past weekend was the WoWTCG North American Continental Championship, and my new priest deck worked very well, going 6-4 on day 1 of the tournament and qualifying me for the drafts on day 2, where I went 4-2. Only having a few days to test and tweak the list did wind up hurting me, as there were a couple of matches I lost that would have gone my way if I'd been packing Dispel Magic instead of Power Word: Sanctuary, the main change that I'd make to the list in hindsight.

But still, this is by far the best I've ever managed to do at a major constructed tournament (I normally specialize in sealed and draft), so I'm pretty happy about the results overall. It put me at 47th out of about 300, which was good enough to win a bunch of packs, an iPod nano, an invitation to the World Championships, and a 4-day pass to GenCon in Indianapolis, where they will be held, though I'm not positive if I'll be able to afford to go or not. Any of you guys going this year and interested in splitting a hotel room? Even if it's already full, I'd be totally willing to pay just for floor space and bring an air mattress.

Peach
06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Over 5000 hours in MS Paint:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/Zamkaizer/Mana.jpg?t=1276652434

Mr. J
06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't know how many of you follow competitive magic, but the DCI just cut extended in half. (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/95b)

Basically once scars of mirrodin is legal extended will be lorwyn forward. That means shocks, chrome mox, dark depths, goyf, and a bunch of other tournament staples will be gone. I bet a lot of extended players are very upset about goyf rotating "Hey I just dropped $250 on a playset of goyf!" "What!?!?, it's rotating in a few months!" Also, swords of the meek and hypergenesis are banned/will rotate with scars.

On the legacy front reanimator and ANT got beaten over the head a little bit and grim monolith is going to become a $40 card.

Destil
06-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Are we ahead of schedule for the extended rotation or did did they cut the number of legal sets? I haven't been keeping up recently...

Mr. J
06-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Are we ahead of schedule for the extended rotation or did did they cut the number of legal sets? I haven't been keeping up recently...

Normally only mirrodin (and 8th too I think) would rotate whith scars, but Wizards decided to rotate out Mirrodin, Kamigawa, Ravnica and Coldsnap when M11 becomes legal. Then Time Spiral goes out once scars comes in. + all the core sets in there. Instead of 7 years worth of sets they are cutting to 4 years. It basically throws the whole extended meta-game out the window and says "try again."

Alpha Werewolf
06-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Normally only mirrodin (and 8th too I think) would rotate whith scars, but Wizards decided to rotate out Mirrodin, Kamigawa, Ravnica and Coldsnap when M11 becomes legal. Then Time Spiral goes out once scars comes in. + all the core sets in there. Instead of 7 years worth of sets they are cutting to 4 years. It basically throws the whole extended meta-game out the window and says "try again."

You haven't heard the rumors, huh. Rumor has it that there will soon be a new format, dubbed "Overextended", that will go from Masques forward. It makes sense to make Extended smaller if that format is real.

Plus, Extended is the least liked format right now. It obviously needs a change.

Mr. J
06-18-2010, 03:14 AM
You haven't heard the rumors, huh. Rumor has it that there will soon be a new format, dubbed "Overextended", that will go from Masques forward. It makes sense to make Extended smaller if that format is real.

Plus, Extended is the least liked format right now. It obviously needs a change.

I know about that rumor, but this newest announcement kind of discredits it. Look at this.

"It became clear that instead of creating a third format—Double Standard—let's fix the one we have,"

Double Standard would have been a format like the new extended, a smaller format between standard and extended. If they were going to make a new format it seems like now would be the time to announce it. Honestly it just makes sense.

sraymonds
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I played an MtG Archenemy game on Saturday and those scheme cards seem very overpowered. I played against two guys with two decks each and I trounced them. By the end I was like, so do y’all just want to give up?

Alixsar
06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I played an MtG Archenemy game on Saturday and those scheme cards seem very overpowered. I played against two guys with two decks each and I trounced them. By the end I was like, so do y’all just want to give up?

I did the same last night and, against two players, it is indeed ridiculous. But against three or more, things are much more balanced. I don't think any of the archenemies won against three+ players.

Either way, it is a lot of fun. The green archenemy scheme deck is insanely good, easily my favorite.

I also bought the Nissa Duels of the Planeswalker deck, mostly so I could steal some cards from it to pad out my elf-themed deck. Its a lot of fun and I did fairly well against my friends constructed decks with it fresh out of the box. If you play DotP at all, you may wanna pick one up. I'm tempted to modify it heavily and have two elf decks...but that could get really expensive.

shivam
06-30-2010, 11:20 AM
duels of the planeswalkers on xbla?

and i've started drafting eldrazi weekly. i think i'm falling back into the habit...

Mr. J
07-01-2010, 12:25 AM
There goes 89 dollars.
(http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ftl/97)
Darn nostalgia rich cycles!

Netbrian
07-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Anyone here going to a Magic 2011 SoCal pre-release? I'd love to meet up with other tyrants.