PDA

View Full Version : What grows in your garden?

Pages : [1] 2

shivam
04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
It's springtime, and since the only things i plant are things i plan to eat, i figured the food forum was the best place for this =)

This year, i'm trying to see what grows in my windswept antarctic san francisco apartment deck. Last year, peas and beans worked really well, but peppers and zuccini attracted aphids like crazy.

this year, i put in green beans and eggplant, and for shits and giggles, i'm trying cauliflower, even though it's nominally a winter vegetable.

nunix
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm still waiting for the nights to get non-freezing. =/ Our usual last-frost date is in a week or so, the days are nice and warm but every 2-3 nights it dips back down to 32 and irritates the hell out of me.

Planning on carrots, lettuce, onions, potatoes, a zucchini plant, green/garden beans, tomatoes.. want to do some other things but am not sure what else to go for.

Last year I tried planting a couple of corn plants, but they never reached maturity, for unknown reasons (sprouted ears o' corn but very undersized and kind of malformed).

Sarcasmorator
04-19-2010, 11:07 AM
In the past we've had pumpkins, strawberries and tomatoes, and my wife wants to grow pumpkins again for Halloween. I'm not so sure it'll work out this year, though; we don't have much time for yard maintenance these days, and I've no skill with plants.

Pajaro Pete
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Last year we planted eggplants, and they grew like weeds. We had more eggplant than Eggplant Wizard.

Anyway: Onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, peppers, and okra.

TheSL
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I normally just grow strawberries (which are doing phenomenal so far this year), but on a whim I planted a few pepper plants as well: serrano, cowhorn and red hot cherry.

Speaking of which, anyone with pepper growing experience have any tips for a newbie?

Falselogic
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Let's see!

We have tomatoes, chard, soybeans, pole beans, zucchini, red peppers, green peppers, onions, two varieties of cucumber... and I think that's about it. oh we also have some thyme, oregano, and parsley

We tried some cantaloupe but the seeds never sprouted, we might try again now that its warmer.

shivam
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Speaking of which, anyone with pepper growing experience have any tips for a newbie?

Peppers are the easiest plant in the world to care for. All they really want is heat, and lots of it. Just make sure to not let the soil dry out too much, and you'll be fine.

Violentvixen
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm still waiting for the nights to get non-freezing. =/ Our usual last-frost date is in a week or so, the days are nice and warm but every 2-3 nights it dips back down to 32 and irritates the hell out of me.

As I live in a high desert, I hear this. All my coworkers who garden recommend those water wall things.

I keep debating building some raised boxes in our (very small) backyard, but that would involve taking out all the gravel and pavers and just a hell of a lot of work when there are other things around the house that we need to tackle this summer.

Still, our own spinach, green beans and lettuce would be lovely. I would also love to grow quinoa, but I've never seen it done and don't know how feasible it is.

Stephen
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I've got a pretty nice vegetable garden, where I grow kohlrabi, beans, beets, carrots and various kinds of squash, peppers and tomatoes. There's also a really nice black berry patch out back that yields a couple dozen quarts of fruit every year. I can't wait for the summer, because there's nothing better than fresh fruit and veggies.

I know this is the food forum, but here's a picture of the flower garden (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4731/gardenuf.jpg) I tilled and planted for my mom a few years ago. Those pink Stargazer lilies usually hit the 5 foot mark--they're supposed to be half that, but for whatever reason they just keep getting taller.

NevznachaY
04-20-2010, 03:30 AM
I wish I had a garden. :(

Dizzy
04-20-2010, 03:33 AM
I've been feeling the garden itch too, but for aesthetic reasons not dietary ones. I don't know where to properly begin, but I know the first step is digging out all the chopped trees, bushes and weeds I have. I used to have a tomato garden but it yielded very little, and I don't want to be eating food outdoor bugs and bacteria have gotten their grubby hands on.

I know this is the food forum, but here's a picture of the flower garden (http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4731/gardenuf.jpg) I tilled and planted for my mom a few years ago. Those pink Stargazer lilies usually hit the 5 foot mark--they're supposed to be half that, but for whatever reason they just keep getting taller.

That looks great. Dude, how do I do this?

Kirin
04-20-2010, 07:00 AM
We mostly stick to herbs, because the deer don't eat them: Rosemary (our bush has gotten huge), Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Lavendar, Chives, etc. Sometimes I plant some dill. We've also done peppers, but haven't put any in yet this year.

But! I planted a raspberry bush clipping. Here's hoping it takes. Mmm, raspberries.

Ethan
04-20-2010, 07:30 AM
I wish I had a garden. :(

Stephen
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
I've been feeling the garden itch too, but for aesthetic reasons not dietary ones. I don't know where to properly begin, but I know the first step is digging out all the chopped trees, bushes and weeds I have. I used to have a tomato garden but it yielded very little, and I don't want to be eating food outdoor bugs and bacteria have gotten their grubby hands on.

That looks great. Dude, how do I do this?

You're on the right track by digging up all the sod, weeds and whatnot. After that you need hire someone to plow it or borrow or a rototiller or do something to loosen the soil up. It's a good idea to buy and add some high quality top soil at that time. Then, you need to pick flowers based on how much sun that spot gets and how harsh/wet your climate is. The garden in that picture is in partial shade and we get nasty winters, so we picked stuff that's hardy and doesn't need a ton of sun, like lilies and hosta. We also tried to pick flowers that bloom at different times of the year so that there'd always be something to look at--crocus leads to hyacinth leads to tulips all the way through August when the dahlias bloom.

If you don't have access to a tiller or plow, or your soil is really shitty, you can make a raised garden (http://www.bluestonegarden.com/images/P/p-16296.jpg) by filling wooden boxes, old tires or something similar with topsoil. Those are nice because you can place them anywhere, you can buy really good soil for them and they usually have nice, consistent drainage.

I cannot fucking wait to get out and start working on my garden this weekend.

Kirin
04-21-2010, 06:56 AM
My soil is so, so shitty. Basically you go three inches down and you hit clay that you can make pots out of (in fact, people do make pots out of it). We have most of our herbs in a raised bed, and anything else we want to plant involves a lot of back-braking digging out of packed clay and mixing in a lot of purchased topsoil and/or soil conditioner. Pain in the ass, and one reason why we don't plant even more stuff.

Dadgum Roi
04-21-2010, 07:20 AM
I would also love to grow quinoa, but I've never seen it done and don't know how feasible it is.

If you're in a high desert, I would guess that quinoa would do great, as it's an Andean plant, and the Andes are largely high desert.

Violentvixen
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
If you're in a high desert, I would guess that quinoa would do great, as it's an Andean plant, and the Andes are largely high desert.

Yeah, that's what made me think it was worth a shot. I just don't know a thing about soil so I have no idea if our backyard would be good.

I also wonder if it's like corn and you need to plant a certain amount for the stalks to even bear seeds. A quick Google didn't say anything like that, although I did discover that the plants grow six feet tall which should be interesting.

nunix
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah, that's what made me think it was worth a shot. I just don't know a thing about soil so I have no idea if our backyard would be good.

Most yard soil isn't good for anything; usually the pH is off, if nothing else is, and you're typically missing a lot of nutrients as well. You can buy little soil-testing kits (Fred Meyers should have some) to check, but more than likely you'll wind up needing to get ahold of some good dirt, and you'll want some raised beds to put it in.

Comb Stranger
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
The stone slab outside my window has a small tree, somehow. 14 stories up, growing from a crack. Unfortunately, it's not fruit-bearing.

Violentvixen
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Have any of you tried those small temporary greenhouses? Something like this. (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16416843) We have very limited space and only a couple of hours of direct sunlight a day so I'm starting to lean in that direction. But they're hundreds of dollars so I'm reluctant to just get one. Any experience notes would be appreciated!

nunix
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
No idea on greenhouses. =/

Finally did the last of the planting now that the frost seems to be over with: tomatoes (several kinds), potatoes, carrots, lettuce, radishes, beets, cucumbers, green beans, onions, plus a bunch of herbs. Have plenty of room left so once things start to come up and I've moved and thinned the rows a little, might plant some more stuff.

Kirin
05-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Something practically dug up my newly planted basil plants and nearly broke the stem of one entirely. :( I propped it back up and I'm actually amazed it's not dead already... we'll see if it survives.

nunix
05-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Some things are coming up! But there's been fuck-all for sunlight for a couple of weeks, now, so tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers are MIA. Radishes and potatoes are growin' like crazy though.

TheSL
05-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Most of my plants aren't blooming yet*, but at least they're still alive. However!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/DSC02106.jpg

Red hot cherry!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/DSC02105.jpg

Cowhorn! (~2" so far)

*I mean, other than the strawberries, but they're boring

shivam
05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
So we tore out the failing cauliflower experiment and replaced them with strawberries and a bell pepper. hopefully it will work better!

vaterite
05-31-2010, 07:27 PM
So we tore out the failing cauliflower experiment and replaced them with strawberries and a bell pepper. hopefully it will work better!

I hope so. We planted strawberries a few weeks ago and haven't seen any sign of them since. Fingers Crossed.

Meg
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll add some photos to this thread. Here's what I harvested today:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/DSCN1075.jpg

It's getting hot enough here that all my tomato plants are just about done until fall (if spider mites don't kill them before then). The cucumbers, melons, and okra are really taking off, so now I can start making a bunch of pickles and, a few weeks from now, cantaloupe ice cream.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/okra.jpg

Baby okra

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/mickylee.jpg

future Mickylee watermelon (super tiny right now)

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/honeyrock.jpg
Honey rock melon patch

Kylie
06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I am jealous of folks with gardens! My city-bound location is too concrete-laden to support actual life. :(

Kirin
06-30-2010, 08:30 AM
My dill plant started growing a flower, so I harvested most of the plant and am hoping I get a second growth this season. I discovered after a couple failed attempts that this is the way to do it if you want maximum dill leafage.

We also picked some fresh basil, oregano, and thyme. Mmm, herbs.

FSS
07-01-2010, 02:28 AM
We planted sweet peas, tomatoes, and raspberries in our garden, because the best produce is obviously the sweetest tasting. I know tomatoes aren't sweet, but you cant have BLTs without them, so that gives us an excuse.

Lady
02-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm surprised I haven't posted in this thread before! Thanks to nunix for dragging it up for me :)

I had some garlic sprout on me last week, so I divided teh cloves and stuck them in various potted plants I have. One of them really took off, so I'm going to keep it inside to get the nummy greens off of. The other one hasn't done much, so when I can get outside and get a trowel, I'm going to plant it in my compost bucket.

Actually, I sliced up a red potato that also sprouted and did the same thing. The one that was in the garlic pot has also really taken off, and while it's not a foot tall like the garlic, it's about six inches. Another one was slow to start, but it's a couple of inches long, too now. The third one that I put in a dish of water has a lot of roots, but not much stalk.

So my idea is to get a plastic tub, drill some holes in the bottom, get some potting soil, mix in my bucket of compost (it needs to be dumped, anyway! I'd take it to my parents, but I can't stand the idea of smelling up my still-new-car-smelly car) and replant the potatoes and the garlic that hasn't done much.
http://www.snowy-day.net/pictures/things/garlicandpotatoandphilodendron.jpg
I'm really getting excited. :D

(and goddamn it, I'm going to have to replant this fucking philodendron or whatevertheshititis. IT JUST KEEPS GROWING)

Lady
02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah um, things are getting a little dire in potted plant garden.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5445370077_039bb76a89_z.jpg

that's the blurry potato shoot from the previous pic.

Lady
02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
W00t!

Finally had some time to get over to the store and get a tub (got a laundry basket actually, with rope handles that should make it easier to carry. The kind of plastic tub I had in mind wasn't quite as deep, and is hard to carry when it has a lot in it) and 2ft^3 of potting soil.

I drained my compost bucket (it doesn't have any drainage holes, so it gets pretty soggy ;o not the best for compost, but it's what I had) and dumped it into the tub after I bore holes in the bottom, and I was pleased to see that the run off started dripping out the bottom almost immediately, so when I finished, there was a nice puddle where I had worked of disgusting gross compost juice.

I put a layer of potting soil on top of that to soak up moisture from the top, and so I wouldn't have to smell it any more (really need better drainage xD I know I know I know) and I brought out my philodendron, which as you saw before was housing one potato and the garlic. Got them in and suitably buried, and I decided that I might as well throw the other potatoes in there (there are three in total, with five shoots between them, from 2+ft to 2in). It was actually pretty hard to bury the biggest shoot, so I just ended up breaking the top six inches or so off (well, it was kinda an accident, but whatevs)

At this point, my neighbor came home and came over to see what I was doing. He told me he also had a philodendron that was really thriving. I was kinda miffed because I can't hardly keep this thing in its pot, but I went over to his house to see, and man, it's huge 8D He said that breaking up the roots occasionally (and making cuttings) as well as staking it helped. He showed me his other plants, and told me about how the guy on the end of our row had started a garden plot, and was going to let him have a plot.

I felt kinda sad that I would be moving out before summer really got started! It'd be nice to have a communal garden :)

anyways, i also gave my other houseplants a good working over, pruning down the shoots on my peace lily that have already flowered, and breaking out a couple of clumps to spread them out more in the pot. I mean, they didn't really need any of that, but it probably won't hurt it too much ;D

I also ended up with some extra philodendron roots that got separated from the plant, so I tossed them under the gutter drain with some soil, so we'll see if anything happens!

Lady
03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Update!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5554603425_a682d107b2_z.jpg

This is round two of potatoes: the first ones got frozen :( It's supposed to get cold tonight, but I'm hemming and hawing whether it'll actually get down to frost/freezing (it's hella dry out) Nunix suggested watering and covering them, so I guess I'll do that before I go to bed (it's still 50 out thoughhhhh!) They're actually the same potatoes, but newly sprouted, but I stuck another couple in there.

As for my house plants, I have started another kitchen garlic which is very tall already. It's in its own pot, although I have garlics in another plant, which is the one that it did so well in before; that plant and teh garlics are kinda bad off, though. I guess I was too brutal when repotting; a lot of the leaves have turned brown, and it's just not been thriving. Even my lily is suffering a little.

Karzac
03-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I like how this thread has pretty much turned into Lady's Garden Blog.

Lady
06-01-2011, 08:35 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/5786909452_f1c5963a00_z.jpg

This sweet potato was lying on my shelf for who knows how many months. It's still interested in growing, though!

Lady
06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
*it is interested in growing very slowly.

My bro-in-law gave us a bunch of bags of leaves and yard clippings last fall that have been sitting outside all winter. Today, my parents decided It Was Time to use them to mulch the garden.

The best part? I found a bunch of pecan shells that had sprouted! BABY TREES :D

mugenkokoro
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Yay, gardening thread!

This is my second year gardening, and i'm super excited. Last year I had more cherry tomatoes than I knew what to do with, and the soil that i tilled was perfect for growth.

This year i'm going with: a roma tomato plant, a grape tomato plant, 3 bell peppers, 1 jalepeno, 1 pablano, a spinach plant, a 6-foot row of peas, and the returning champion rhubarb. I'm hoping my peppers do really well this year; last year I only had one survive and didn't get a whole lot of peppers out of it. I only planted 2 tomatoes instead of three because I had so many last year. We'll see!

Seeing all those pictures from last year has me so anxious for my plants to grow more and start producing. I think weekend will be time to hit the plants with some miracle grow.

gahitsu
06-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Do you think it's too late to start planting? Considering we live in Arizona, and we don't get freezes until late December, January.

upupdowndown
06-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Do you think it's too late to start planting? Considering we live in Arizona, and we don't get freezes until late December, January.

you should be fine, especially if you're planting actual plants instead of seeds. last year I didn't get plants in the ground until the second weekend in june due to breaking my tailbone, and i still got a decent amount of tomatoes and herbs out of the deal - and we live in Southern Ohio.

this year I've gone koo-koo crazy for tomatoes, with about 15 promising plants, as well as green, yellow, and purple bell peppers, and basil, sage, chives, rosemary, thyme, and lime thyme. we have a raised bed the previous owner put in that's about 27 square feet, and I bought three big terracotta pots for cheap at IKEA. So far everything seems to be going pretty well, though my rosemary is growing a bit slowly for my tastes. (We used to have a bush that had survived for years, but last winter was so cold that it killed it dead. :( )

TheSL
06-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I've got too many strawberry plants to worry about planting much of anything else high maintenance this year, so I've just got a crapload of perennial lilies, a couple rose bushes and 30+ sunflowers. There's going to be so many bees once those sunflowers start to bloom.

Kirin
06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
I recently discovered that a single onion in an otherwise fine bag of onions had mysteriously grown an eight-inch stalk while sitting in the pantry for a couple weeks. There was a spare space in our herb garden, so I stuck it in the ground and we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, my blackberry cutting is actually growing well this summer, and even has a few berries starting to grow (they usually don't produce much until their second year). Which is awesome. What's not awesome is that the bits of it sticking through the wire mesh I put around it seem to keep getting nibbled off, probably by deer. I was hoping to be able to take off the mesh soon, before it gets too cramped, but I'm worried they'd eat it way back.

Meg
06-09-2011, 08:28 AM
We've hit the 100s a couple of times already, so it's just about over for the first half of summer gardening here -- we get two short tomato seasons instead of one long one, but I'm going to prune back my plants and see if I can get them to limp into fall. One problem: friggin' spider mites. My tomatoes, and nothing else, are covered in them. I've been washing them off with water, but the plants don't look the greatest; may have to pull the plants out anyway and get a new set of tomatoes going for a fall crop.

Besides that, I've got a nice and healthy crop of herbs, peppers, melons, and squash coming along. The bee garden is doing well, and a bunch of lemon bee balm sprouted everywhere in the vegetable garden (from last year's plants), so it's fun to watch all the different types of bees each day.

Violentvixen
06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Ate lettuce from the garden yesterday and it was lovely. Here's how everything looks right now:

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo62/annumd/garden.jpg

There's romaine lettuce, rainbow chard, garlic and zucchini. The dead bit in the lower right is cucumber which didn't make it because it's been so stupidly cold. Did I mention it snowed memorial day weekend?

Anyway, I'm pleased! This was very much an experiment to see if the backyard gets enough sunlight to grow anything. It kind of determines the fate of our backyard since it all needs to be ripped up. If stuff grows the backyard will have a bunch of garden boxes, if it doesn't we're going to do some creative stuff with pavers and more resilient plants.

Lady
06-14-2011, 07:36 PM
you should do some potatoes since it's cool!

or sweet potatoes since it's inside!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5834392385_8165b70e27_z.jpg

This guy is getting really excited about growing! It took him a while to develop a good root, but now I expect him to take off!

Falselogic
06-14-2011, 07:38 PM
For the latest on my box garden: http://wp.me/p8fXx-pE

I'm not going to write this stuff up twice!

Violentvixen
06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
you should do some potatoes since it's cool!

One of the other aspects of the experimental box is that the soil depth is really shallow (if it didn't work I didn't want to have to move ALL THE DIRT). So we won't really be able to do any root vegetables this year. I will be all over carrots and parsnips and etc. next year though.

upupdowndown
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
My tomato plants have been growing like crazy and are beginning to flower, and I finally saw my first two teeny-tiny-teensy green tomatoes! (seriously, they're smaller than an eraser on a pencil. so cute!) Also! The green bell pepper has almost grown to a size that I might see at a farmer's market. Still has to grow by 50% to be the size that I might see at a grocery store, though.

my resolution for this week is to get off my duff and figure out how to post pics on here so I can share what the garden looks like right now.

who's gonna fry up some green tomatoes this summer? 'cause I totally am.

Karzac
06-15-2011, 01:37 PM
My tomato plants have been growing like crazy and are beginning to flower

Mine too!

Violentvixen
06-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Well, I have my first garden pest experience. I went out this morning to harvest the chard and as I picked the leaves I saw almost all of the leaves had large transparent sections and small white eggs under the leaves. Closer inspection revealed worms in the light areas and black specks which after some research turned out to be leaf miners (http://www.gardenhelp.org/insects/ipm/controlling-leaf-miners/)and their poop.

I guess I'm lucky it's so easy to identify but bleah. Hopefully I can catch enough of 'em to let the rest of the chard survive although it looks like some were alive long enough to get to the pupa stage. I guess I have to get a cover to keep the flies away too.

Lettuce, garlic and zucchini look okay, though.

upupdowndown
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, I have my first garden pest experience. I went out this morning to harvest the chard and as I picked the leaves I saw almost all of the leaves had large transparent sections and small white eggs under the leaves. Closer inspection revealed worms in the light areas and black specks which after some research turned out to be leaf miners (http://www.gardenhelp.org/insects/ipm/controlling-leaf-miners/)and their poop.

I've got red aphids all over my tomato jungle. :( Time to do a soapy water spray to get rid of the little buggers and then a rinse.

Kirin
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Speaking of pests, I really need to get around to putting some hair on and/or cat urine around my adolescent blackberry bush to try to keep the deer from nibbling all the ends off it.

Lady
06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
my dad decided he needed my potato bucket, so he dug up my potatoes in there. There were about half a dozen baby potatoes growing out of the roots! aaaaaaaaaaaieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee so cute

Zef
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I just went to water my veggies, and found a bright green caterpillar comfortably hanging from a stem of oregano.

I live in a third-floor apartment with mosquito mesh on all windows.

HOW DID IT GET THERE.

HOW.

And most importantly, what do I do with it? I kinda sorta don't want to kill it, but while my oregano desperately needs a good pruning, I'd rather do the harvesting myself.

Violentvixen
07-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe eggs were in the soil or on the plant when you brought it in?

If it's just the one and that plant is protected you could wait until it forms a chrysalis and then move that outside right before it turns into a butterfly. Or wait and watch the butterfly come out because that is kind of amazing to watch.

Zef
07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
New window pot!

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/Personal/DSC00455.JPG

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/Personal/DSC00454.JPG

I just transplanted my thyme, rosemary, lavender, basil, mint, and oregano from their original supermarket pots to this wooden one. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Even got some small clippers so I stop using the paper scissors to harvest them. But seeing them grow like this I kinda don't want to harvest them anymore :p I want to see them grow bigger and leafier :D

(And I especially want the rosemary and lavender to straighten out their main stems. They're all hunched over from trying to reach out from under the window pane :/ I keep the window open for them all day, but if I opened it too wide the wind would often knock their original pots right off the windowsill!)

Falselogic
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Mine is pretty much out of control at this point (in a good way) my cucumbers and beans have even scaled the fence and are now traversing over it into the wilds beyond... (http://dimortuisunt.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/how-my-gaden-grows-summer-2011/)

EDIT: Nice looking herbs there Zef!

Lady
07-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I want a window planter now! so cool, zef!

also flawgic, your cucumber is fattttttttttttt. DID IT SWALLOW A WATERMELON SEED??

(my sweet potato was looking dire, but recently put on some extra growth and new leaves! I think I should plant it outside, soon)

Violentvixen
07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
The zucchini is flowering! And also taking over everything!

I planted way too much lettuce, the plants are ridiculously tall now.

upupdowndown
07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
You guys, the tomato plants in my box garden are SO TALL. One of them is taller than ME - and I'm 6'4"! I think they've really been enjoying our super inferno heat wave.

I'm going on vacation tomorrow but need to do some quick tying so that they don't all flop over and break whilst I'm out of town. Also finally have some of my yellow and purple bell peppers growing, but they're still green at the moment.

Grignr
07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I started an EarthBox (http://www.earthbox.com/) with Cherokee Purple Heirloom and Better Bush tomatoes on my porch in late March. My heirloom tomato plant grew up to the roof of the porch but never produced fruit since stupid Florida got too stupid hot for flowers too soon. Better Bush has been producing but 3/4 of the tomatoes have split (not due to lack of water) and both plants are losing leaves from the bottom up. I got two edible tomatoes from the Better Bush and maybe I'll get another 3-4 before I chop it down.

Looks like it's time for fall planting soon, so I'll dump the soil and try again. I really wanted to try purple tomatoes...

Lady
07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
my sweetpotato
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-V1H1Dx_kJdY/TiirMHW1Y0I/AAAAAAAAAZ8/cncpwdzdOo8/s640/IMAG0259.jpg

my parents' garden, and buckets'o'pepper and potato
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B5Pg3A997OQ/TiisIdElE6I/AAAAAAAAAaM/UJC6wnn0DYk/s800/IMAG0260.jpg

ThornGhost
07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
My garden has been a bit of a mixed bag this year. We got a decent sized plot in our giant back yard tilled in the early spring and planted a whole bunch of stuff. Some were seeds I saved from last year, some were store bought, some were vegetables I had bought that got old and started to bud anyway. I also bought/was given a few plants that were already growing which I just replanted.

Almost none of my seeds came up thanks, according to my grandmother, to a spot of torrential rain storms soon after I planted that caused a hard crust on the ground. A few hearty souls here and there eventually sprouted, but many seeds were never heard from again. Most frustrating was the whole row of "moons and stars" watermelons which I saved from my biggest melon last year, whose plant I grew from seeds that my grandmother gave me.

At this point from seeds, we've got a whole row of hearty looking sunflowers (which the wife wanted to plant), a respectable amount of pumpkin vines (which has some decent melons on it already), some root veg like garlic, potato and onion, and a nice crop of these small little lettuce things which are perfect for a single-serving salad. From started plants, I've got a couple of really well producing cherry tomato plants, some Cherokee purple plants that got a late start that have about six non-ripe tomatoes on them and a couple of different varieties of pepper plants that are producing hot peppers FAR faster than I can use them.

It's been fun and tasty, but a little disappointing because of all of the things that didn't sprout. I might try and get some pictures.

Kirin
07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Right now I'm just hoping not too much dies while it's too goddamned hot to spend 10 minutes outside watering.

Zef
07-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Right now I'm just hoping not too much dies while it's too goddamned hot to spend 10 minutes outside watering.

Since I last posted those photos, the heatwave killed my oregano ¡_¡

Ethan
07-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Replace it with marjoram.

Karzac
07-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Replace it with marjoram.

I was scrolling through quickly and completely misread that post.

Meg
07-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Right, so there isn't much vegetable-wise that's doing well right now due to the heat and lack of rain, but at least the melons are going crazy as usual.

Here are two cantaloupe/muskmelon patches -- they're slowly vining over everything. I've already had to weave or prune them back a couple of times to keep them from taking over the lawn.
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/patch.jpg

Melons at various growing stages
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/ed01.jpg

A melon almost ready to pick
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/ed02.jpg

A baby honeydew
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/honeydew.jpg

A female melon flower. Hard to believe it turns into something so large (if pollinated).
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/fflower.jpg

upupdowndown
08-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Some of our cherry tomatoes have been turning very, very red, and oh so sweet, but only two at a time. We finally have two or three big tomatoes that are reddening and a whoooole bunch of big green ones - I suspect they'll all ripen at the same time and I'll have to do an emergency canning session.

oh, and we had some of the purple bell peppers! they are zesty.

Karzac
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Garden fresh tomatoes!

Grignr
08-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I cut the Better Bush tomatoes back to the bare lower stalks, and discovered the Heirlooms are starting to make ugly little tomatoes. Unfortunately, the heirloom plant has been growing all summer and I didn't prune either plant at all, so the tomatoes are forming 10 ft down the long, wandering vines.

If I cut back the vines (like way back, so that all the leaves are cut off), will new leaves sprout from the stalk?

Zef
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I was really happy with today's purchase of a pot of mixed pepper plants, and then I come home and find my poor thyme on its last legs :( Most of the stems are brown, but there's one that's still green and pliable. Is there anything I can do to save the plant?

Meg
08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Cutting it back that far seems a little extreme. Well, it's probably more of a question on whether or not your heirlooms are determinate or indeterminate. I don't know much about the Better Bush hybrid, but if it's a determinate type, it only grows to a certain height and produces one crop of tomatoes. Once all the fruit sets, that's it, and cutting it back won't change anything. For example, I grew some Yellow Taxis (early determinate) this year, and as soon as they produced their last tomato, out came the plants.

As far as cutting back your plants now, it really depends on where you live and how much of a growing season you have left. In Texas, depending on which part of the state you're in, you can try to cut your plants back and attempt a regrowth for fall when the temperatures are less extreme, but the advice is usually to pull the plants out and start over with fresh transplants in late June to early July -- by now the old plants are exhausted and bug ridden enough that they will have a reduced fruit set, and if we ever get any rain (sigh), late setting diseases usually rear their ugly head.

In my case, I cut back all my tomatoes (all indeterminate heirlooms of various qualities, not all great) and pulled up and replaced a couple of weak plants with some Celebrity and Super Fantastics back in June. The 'new' tomatoes aren't growing very fast right now, but the 'old' tomatoes are just *now* starting to show some new and healthy growth -- some from the base, and some from the top. I haven't tried to work with the old plants much because this season has been terrible for tomatoes, so I'm pretty much watching the new plants exclusively.

Short answer: don't bother cutting the vines now. Again, depending on your location, the days are going to get shorter before you know it, so there probably isn't enough time for new growth, fruit set, and ripened tomatoes before the first frost.

Grignr
08-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow, thanks for the detailed post! I'm beginning to understand the depths of my ignorance here, after reading that and other pruning tips on the web.

I live in Florida where we've had a rainy, humid summer. My plants are in an EarthBox on the porch, where they have plenty of fertilizer and theoretically can't run out of water (there's a reservoir in the bottom). The planter is on my screened porch so the deer won't eat the plants, positioned so it can get the morning sun. I had thought lack of full sun was making the plants grow too tall, but now I think I just needed to prune them back to make them bushier.

About a month or so ago, all the leaves below 3 feet or so yellowed and then rotted off. All the green fruiting growth is on the flopped over branches. The Better Bush has been consistently producing small, green fruits that ripen and then immediately crack. Not sure what's up with that, other than maybe temperature changes?

Anyway, Florida has an early spring-summer tomato season and a late summer-fall season. Sounds like it's time to chop down what's left and replant and prune them better. And pick variants that will do well on the porch rather than what sounded good when I read the label at Lowes.

Meg
08-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Your tomatoes could be getting too tall from not enough sun, strangely enough. Morning sun doesn't sound like enough -- tomatoes need full sun, or a minimum of 6 to 8 hours of full sun to produce a good crop. I wouldn't worry too much about lower yellowing leaves; I'm sure there's some nutrient deficiency you could look up associated with it, but that's also a natural part of the plant's life as it's producing fruit. Fruit cracks form from heat and moisture stress.

What you could do is spend the off season looking up varieties recommended specifically for your area. If you're interested in porch tomatoes, I'd stick to bush or determinate varieties, and throw a cherry variety in for kicks. Some of those enormous heirloom varieties probably need more room than an Earthbox can provide. I actually made a couple of EarthTainers a few years ago before I moved and they did great for medium-sized fruits and cherries. (The cleanup at the end was awful, though -- algae city in the water reservoir! :) )

Edit -- There could be a couple of reasons for cracking on your Better Bush fruits. Too much sudden moisture from rain, which can't be helped, I'm sure. The Earthbox could be wicking too much water, so the soil could be consistently too moist. The fruits could be exposed to too much sun (not enough foliage), so the sudden heat could crack them. Too much fertilizer could cause sudden growth and cracking. Also (and the most likely), it could just be the variety tends to crack. I like Sungold cherries, but they are notorious for cracking after rain or fertilizer applications. Tomatoes are fun to diagnose. :D

Lady
08-13-2011, 11:08 PM
"Hey guys!"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CGLxoRfscRY/Tkau1JQA70I/AAAAAAAAA80/XLve4P2IIls/s576/IMAG0670.jpg

"I had fun!"

"Take care!"

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dOV31p5yrH4/TkavKduzOHI/AAAAAAAAA84/8ELhtxeHtfA/s576/IMAG0671.jpg

"...Byeeeee!"

ajr82
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Can anyone point me to a good resource for info on indoor, apartment gardening?

Meg
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Do you have a window or balcony for pots? There are a ton of container gardening books out there, depending on what you want to grow, but a lot of them assume you have access to an outside porch or windowsill.

ajr82
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Do you have a window or balcony for pots? There are a ton of container gardening books out there, depending on what you want to grow, but a lot of them assume you have access to an outside porch or windowsill.

No, at the moment I don't. Really, what I'm looking for is something similar to Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything", but for gardening. A good guide to basic techniques and tips, combined with a fairly encyclopaedic rundown of things to know.

Falselogic
08-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Here's the latest (and maybe the last) on the summer garden (http://wp.me/p1JuHh-xG). It just isn't hot enough for tomatoes and such to be happy and produce...

Zef
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I came home tonight, and found THIS growing in my "garden."

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/DSC00522.JPG

Right in the middle of my basil!

Should I remove it post haste? Or should I remove it with extreme prejudice?

Kirin
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Aw, they're adorable.

Also, hey, more produce! (Note: do not eat without consulting a mushroom identification giude. But hey, you're probably already dead from the cthonic produce posted in the NWIOT, so problem solved.)

Lady
08-24-2011, 03:00 PM
The cutest little fungus!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-V28LVX2RmcQ/TlVcq6KjAeI/AAAAAAAABCE/GA9EtlD9XhY/s640/IMAG0716.jpg
I'm watching you! :D:D

Falselogic
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
We tore out the spring/summer garden this weekend! (http://wp.me/p1JuHh-Aa)

We're planning the winter one right now!

Lady
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
holy shit i can't stop staring at your wife

Kirin
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Lady gets to say what the rest of us can't.

Also, Flogic, based on what you were growing and the pic and some Google, I'm gonna call your giant mystery caterpillars as Tomato Hornworms, which grow into Sphinx- or Hawk-Moths.

Falselogic
09-19-2011, 12:23 PM

I'm guilty of that too

upupdowndown
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm guilty of that too

Her legs do, in point of fact, go all the way up, judging from that picture. Damn, dude.

Droewyn
09-21-2011, 03:59 PM
That caterpillar looks like a tomato worm to me. They're pests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata

I just brought in my potted rosemary. It'll be spending the winter on the filing cabinet at work.

Daikaiju
09-21-2011, 04:02 PM

"Hey honey? Talking Time loves your gams!"

upupdowndown
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
"Hey honey? Talking Time loves your gams!"

Talking Time: where ladies and gay dudes feel free to ogle your wife.

upupdowndown
09-23-2011, 11:22 PM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/danielmess/e36cf6c6.jpg

This evening was the harvest of SADNESS. Over twelve pounds of green tomatoes that will never ripen on the vine. :(

So Sunday I'll make a green tomato pie, slice and can the large ones for frying later in the winter, and make green tomato salsa with the rest and can that.

Still also need to pull the basil out of the garden and make pesto to freeze this Sunday too.

Karzac
09-24-2011, 08:10 AM
All I see is twelve pounds of fried green tomatoes, which is wonderful in my book.

Daikaiju
09-24-2011, 10:41 AM
PICKLE THEM.

And send them to me...

Karzac
09-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Pickled tomatoes? What is this madness?

Falselogic
09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
As I was telling UUDD in #TalkingTime, I just tore out our garden and harvested all the green tomatoes as well. We gave some away, fried some up, and are making salsa with the rest of them.

We also took all the ripe tomatoes and made sauce. Not enough to can...

Oh, and like UUDD we now have a bunch of pesto as well.

upupdowndown
09-25-2011, 05:58 PM
SAD NEWS on the pesto front: we waited too long to do it and the basil in the garden went yellow. :( :( :( Now I'm going to have to get some fresh basil from a greenhouse so all this parm and lemons and walnuts and olive oil doesn't go to waste.

on the other hand, I did get to do a crapton of canning today to use the green tomatoes, so I'll be posting that up in the canning thread. and I baked a green tomato pie!

Here's the garden at the end of the season, picked over and ready to be pulled up next weekend: http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/danielmess/29e97cc5.jpg

Karzac
09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Pesto with walnuts? Blasphemy!

upupdowndown
09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Pesto with walnuts? Blasphemy!

Actually if you roast the walnuts it has a great flavor, and it's much much much cheaper than pine nuts.

Karzac
09-25-2011, 08:13 PM
But pine nuts are so delicious! But yes, they are expensive.

upupdowndown
09-25-2011, 08:33 PM
But pine nuts are so delicious! But yes, they are expensive.

For added blasphemy, I make my pesto with a little lemon so it doesn't oxidize and turn brown while it freezes.

Karzac
09-26-2011, 06:53 AM
For added blasphemy, I make my pesto with a little lemon so it doesn't oxidize and turn brown while it freezes.

That's perfectly reasonable.

Falselogic
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Actually if you roast the walnuts it has a great flavor, and it's much much much cheaper than pine nuts.

We use whatever nut we happen to have around and they've always been good... Pine nuts are good but not worth the costs...

Falselogic
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Fall/winter garden is in and growing. The only problem, as always, are pests slugs mostly so we're going out and picking them off. Anyway, hopefully we'll have some greens soon enough.

Also arugula is the easiest thing in the world to grow and nothing seems to eat it. (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2011/10/24/fall-garden-2011-check-in/)

Violentvixen
10-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I am so jealous that you can have a fall/winter garden! We're one of the worst garden zones in the country so fall/winter ones can't happen without a greenhouse.

Grignr
11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
My heirloom plant has two little tomatoes on it now! That's better than it did during the summer. If the winter is mild for the next few months, maybe I'll get some decent tomatoes!

I posted at the end of summer about my failure with the tomato plants. In the fall, I cut both of the plants back to just a few inches of stem, moved the planter to the south side of the porch, and the heirloom plant grew back nicely (the other plant didn't make it). It's been flowering for a few weeks now but I wasn't sure if it was hitting the temperature zone for fruit to form, but apparently it is!

Falselogic
11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I am so jealous that you can have a fall/winter garden! We're one of the worst garden zones in the country so fall/winter ones can't happen without a greenhouse.

When we move to San Diego we can grow year round pretty much; except we won't be able to afford a place that has any kind of yard...

Violentvixen
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
When we move to San Diego we can grow year round pretty much; except we won't be able to afford a place that has any kind of yard...

I would be shocked if SD didn't have some sort of Community Garden setup.

Lady
11-06-2011, 12:01 AM
My dad sent me some closure on tater buddy (http://i.imgur.com/Mh2LT.jpg)

upupdowndown
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I would be shocked if SD didn't have some sort of Community Garden setup.

There should be several options around the city. Good way to suss out a potential neighborhood!

My dad sent me some closure on tater buddy (http://i.imgur.com/Mh2LT.jpg)

He grew legs and walked away, the end.

Pajaro Pete
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Day before Thanksgiving:
http://i.imgur.com/g60xq.jpg

Today:
http://i.imgur.com/RqqsL.jpg

The cold snap killed my peppers :(

Lady
12-03-2011, 01:20 PM
you got a stove or a fireplace?

Pajaro Pete
12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I have a stove, por que?

Lady
12-03-2011, 02:27 PM
your pepper fertilizer just looked familiar~

Kirin
12-04-2011, 08:51 AM
It killed the plants, but the peppers themselves look ripe enough... did they go all mushy or something?

Falselogic
12-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Jake ate it (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2011/12/14/update-on-the-2011-winter-garden/)

=(

Lady
02-15-2012, 09:19 PM
As fitting of a last post as that was, I am compelled to mention my valentine's present.

I think it's a Phalaenopsis schilleriana, but the hybridization of orchids is vast and varied.

I am excited. I want to get another one and just q-tip pollen from one to the other.

Lady
02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
As promised:

Day One
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yvc2i8QcYpk/Tz23hthEzmI/AAAAAAAALM8/dJ5jpNK2VfY/s635/IMAG1980.jpg

Day Nine
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j94Xmj_GR6g/T0ZsGuEuFGI/AAAAAAAALSI/O8RWrWlqsYk/s635/IMAG2007.jpg

Adam
02-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Orchids!

Awesome! How are you watering them? People I know swear by either spraying the leaves with water, or putting ice cubes in the pot.

upupdowndown
02-24-2012, 04:00 AM
Awesome! How are you watering them? People I know swear by either spraying the leaves with water, or putting ice cubes in the pot.

We always have an orchid plant in the house, and the ice cube method works really well. 2-3 ice cubes a week is plenty.

That's a beautiful plant, Lady!!

Lady
02-24-2012, 06:20 PM
it won't be too cold for the roots? The sites I looked up said this variety likes tepid water, so I'll mix hot and cold water from the faucet and pour over them and letting it all drain out immediately. I read something about misting being bad if water gets trapped between the leaves, so I haven't done that yet.

Falselogic
03-07-2012, 10:14 AM
The end of our winter garden. (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/03/07/garden-gone-wild-end-to-fall-garden-2011/)

Violentvixen
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm impressed stuff kept going for that long!

I just bought some asparagus roots and will be getting a big planter since apparently asparagus will keep growing for 10+ years?!?!

I also started using Smart Gardener (http://www.smartgardener.com), which is pretty cool. I also think their business model is a good one. You can design the garden and give it your zones or whatever and get the basics of what you need, but you have to pay a bit more to add on the ability to do shading and succession planting and stuff like that. Clever. And of course they're a seed supplier too, although I'd rather just pay the money for starters.

Lady
03-07-2012, 08:07 PM
When my parents moved into their house in 1991, there was an asparagus patch in the back yard. It's still producing. Just let it come to flower every year and don't mow it down or anything

Büge
03-08-2012, 06:58 AM
But asparagus makes your pee stink!

upupdowndown
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Fresh in-season asparagus is a goddamn revelation. Once you have it, you may give up out-of-season asparagus FOREVER.

My understanding, VV, is that you haveto wait at least a year or two for the asparagus to establish itself before you start doing regular harvesting.

Droewyn
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
But asparagus makes your pee stink!

Only some people's! And whether it does or not is based on your genetics!

Kirin
03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
The talk about letting asparagus settle in for a year or two reminds me:

I really need to get some bird netting over my nascent blackberry bush before it starts growing and the deer start eating it again - if I manage to keep them off it for a few years, it might actually produce a noticable number of berries!

Violentvixen
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
My understanding, VV, is that you haveto wait at least a year or two for the asparagus to establish itself before you start doing regular harvesting.

Yep, can't harvest the first year. Totally worth it if it keeps producing for that long!

Only some people's! And whether it does or not is based on your genetics!

Actually, it's argued that it makes everyone's pee stink, but only certain people can smell it. I made a poll about this sort of stuff (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=11578) a while ago, I vote for reviving it and getting more data!

Falselogic
03-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Not much to look at right now, cause it's all just seeds. (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/03/12/spring-garden-2012-the-beginning/)

Red Hedgehog
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Actually, it's argued that it makes everyone's pee stink, but only certain people can smell it. I made a poll about this sort of stuff (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=11578) a while ago, I vote for reviving it and getting more data!

This certainly seems to be the case in my household. I smell it in my pee and my fiance's pee after we've eaten asparagus, but she smells nothing.

Droewyn
03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I have tiny dill sprouts! They weren't there on Tuesday, but then I looked outside on Friday and there was this carpet of feathery little leaves. My chives are also coming back, which I'm really pleased about as the maintenance guy dumped weed killer on them in the fall and I wasn't sure they'd make it.

Kirin
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Chives are pretty tough.
Dill, on the other hand, I've had more trouble with. I can get it to grow, but not very well. I think maybe it's just not too fond of the heat down here, as I see you're up in MI...

Droewyn
03-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Dill dries out in the heat pretty quickly. And it needs a lot of water. Mine grew well for most of last summer, but started looking ratty around August. This did not stop me from collecting an 8-oz jar full to the brim with seeds, though. Anybody want any fernleaf dill seeds?

The weather here is crazy. There are trees that had leaves on them last week, and there are flowers everywhere. It looks like the end of April, not the end of March. And now tonight we have a frost advisory. I think I might toss a blanket over the seedlings to try and protect them.

Lady
04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Today I began the adventures of Spuddy Jr. (maybe)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JGH-KqXbXHw/T4OjeEpx62I/AAAAAAAAMkc/3-JlECX2FXU/s635/IMAG2249.jpg

First, I repotted my peace lily. This caused me to discover two cloves of garlic I totally forgot I stuck in there.

Then into the vacated pot went the aforementioned garlic, an onion that had started to sprout, and the also aforementioned Spuddy Jr. I thought I had potatoes that had started to sprout, but could only find one with a thin trickling of roots. We'll see what becomes of him.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FS43ZMDWO5s/T4OjPkMxn6I/AAAAAAAAMkM/Y3Yl56WqxcM/s635/IMAG2247.jpg

Then, in the pot I had stuck my onion temporarily, I placed my Valentine's orchid
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n9P_7ws6BKA/T4OjXPEPrbI/AAAAAAAAMkU/PkspLJ0hpBc/s635/IMAG2248.jpg
I put plenty of rocks in the bottom to facilitate draining so the roots wouldn't get soggy, and kinda broke up the roots so they would take up plenty of room in their new lodging. I discovered a dead leaf on it today, so I'm kinda nervous, but the other leaves all appear to be in good shape, and everything else seems appropriate for this time of the year (flowers in late winter/early spring)

I still have no idea what this plant is, but it really likes hanging outside
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D94d4n9rUG4/T4OjKGTLgyI/AAAAAAAAMkE/9JzFK2ZTBIA/s635/IMAG2246.jpg

Kirin
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I stuck an sprouting onion and four cloves of garlic in my outdoor herb garden over the winter. The garlic seems to have all died (I suspect it had dried out too much before I got it in the ground), but the onion is growing. Also my baby blackberry bush has a bunch of leaves now, tough it doesn't seem to have started in on any new branches yet...

The big winners in the herb garden this spring are a curry plant that got real big, one remaining live lavender out of like four originals that is blooming up a storm, and some oregano and creeping thyme that are spreading all over the place. (And the usual enourmous rosemary bush, which goes without saying at this point. The thing is a monster.)

Lady
04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
picsssssssss I didn't realize curry was a plant!

Falselogic
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Here are all the details. (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/04/11/spring-garden-2012-planted/)I'd link pictures but they are always too big and I'm always too lazy to shrink them...

Kirin
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
picsssssssss I didn't realize curry was a plant!

Haven't taken any yet this spring, will try to remember to do it later. But... because you asked I was looking up pics of the curry plant online, and discovered that while what we have is indeed *called* a curry plant, and it very much *smells* like curry, evidently you can't really cook with it. :(

Apparently it just tastes bitter. Rats. Was looking forward to seeing what I could do with it. Ah well, at least it smells good. Could make some "curry" potpourri or something...

Lady
04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Lemon cucumbers? explain

Falselogic
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Lemon cucumbers? explain

They are cucumbers that look like lemonish. They actually have flavor as opposed to the watery crunchy thing you buy from the store.

Lady
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
garden cucumbers have plenty of flavor!

Solitayre
04-11-2012, 06:24 PM
So hey, a few years ago I taught myself to make salsa, and this summer I would like to try growing tomatoes and peppers. Does anyone have suggestions on when/how to plant these? I've heard its almost impossible to screw up with peppers but I never underestimate my ability to ruin things.

Kirin
04-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Do you live in a location with squirrels that can access your garden? If so it may be to your advantage to plant cherry tomatoes and smallish peppers, so they only ruin some of them instead of most of them. (Unless you can fence/mesh-in the whole area.)

The Raider Dr. Jones
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
So hey, a few years ago I taught myself to make salsa, and this summer I would like to try growing tomatoes and peppers. Does anyone have suggestions on when/how to plant these? I've heard its almost impossible to screw up with peppers but I never underestimate my ability to ruin things.

How sunny are your summers up there in Michigan? Tomatoes tend to want a lot of warmth and sunlight -- my dad couldn't get them to grow back home in Seattle for shit.

Solitayre
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Trying to predict the weather in Michigan is an exercise in frustration. It rains and droughts in the same day here.

Two weeks ago, it was 80 degrees, and yesterday, it snowed.

Pajaro Pete
04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
using a push tiller in flip flops is not the best of idea
also I've got so much dirt and stuff up my nose I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die
but by god I'm gonna plant the fuck outta this garden this weekend

Büge
04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
You might not die, but your boogers will be interesting for the next little while.

Pajaro Pete
04-18-2012, 03:28 PM
I sneezed black stuff =/

TheSL
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/2012-04-30163330.jpg

Strawberries are doing amazing since we didn't get a spring freeze for once.

Falselogic
05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Our last garden in Davis is coming along fine... Fingers crossed it stays that way. (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/05/07/spring-garden-2012-growing-up/)

shivam
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
my wife built a planter box, hand mixed soil and compost and perlite, built an entire framework of shading out of pvc pipe, and planted a bunch of stuff on our deck. That night was unexpectedly freezing cold and blustery with a strong icy wind. The next day, every single plant was completely dead and shriveled to practically nothing.

i haven't seen my wife that completely fucking miserable in a long time.

upupdowndown
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
oh no! But the good news is that she's already done all of the hard stuff and can try again!

Lady
05-08-2012, 07:43 AM
They were getting rid of some plants from the office at work, so I took home a couple of potted bamboo. After some vigorous pruning, and planting some perennials, we have this

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-I-TkzBX5eyo/T6a-Q4qGG8I/AAAAAAAAOC0/rBSH3CiPBbo/s635/IMAG2473.jpg https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NcS3I98kO_Q/T6a-WzB570I/AAAAAAAAOC8/ObV-31hTqQg/s635/IMAG2474.jpg

and that sucks, shivam :( but uudd is right; all she has to do is replant.
sometimes when it's going to be cold, if you cover the plants with a sheet or blankets it will protect them enough to keep them alive; not sure if that would've worked in this case though

Falselogic
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Tomatoes and Zucchini is starting to come in! (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/05/21/spring-garden-2012-first-fruits/)

upupdowndown
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Baby zucchinis - the cutest vegetable? SCIENCE sez: maybe.

Falselogic
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Baby zucchinis - the cutest vegetable? SCIENCE sez: maybe.

It's now a tween zucchini. It will be adult in a day or so I imagine and then I will eat it.

Falselogic
06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Garden update! (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/06/11/spring-garden-2012-bumping/)

total harvest so far?

five zucchinis and 12 bush beans!

Lady
06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
are you counting by the bean or by the pod?_?

Violentvixen
06-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Man, we've still been having frost and hail, last week is hailed/went below freezing three times. Because of that I haven't planted a thing other than the garlic and asparagus which I can take inside, I'm debating just having those this year...

Falselogic
06-12-2012, 08:42 AM
are you counting by the bean or by the pod?_?

the pod

MarsDragon
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
GUYS WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY PLANTS

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48346135/2012-06-30_13-53-00_383.jpg

My oregano is all brown and withered.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48346135/2012-06-30_13-53-26_531.jpg

So's the mint, though it's harder to tell. The mint's leaves fall off a lot, though. It also has some random plant growing in with it. I suspect a tomato? It kinda smells like a tomato.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48346135/2012-06-30_13-53-41_843.jpg

The mystery plant.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48346135/2012-06-30_13-53-48_905.jpg

And my garlic is a bit unhappy, but seems to be doing a little better maybe.

Too much water? Not enough water? Too much sun? Too little? HAAAAAAAAALP

Lady
07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Your mystery plant looks a lot like tomato to me!

As for oregano, it might just be over-watering. Those bowls look like they don't have any drainage at the bottom, so just try going a little longer without watering them. If they get limp and wilty, then you should probably water them again.

as for the garlic, that's what mine does as it gets too tall to hold itself up. There are a limited number of shoots that it will put out (kinda like planting an onion). I suspect both onions and garlics are like potatoes in that if you have a deep enough container, you can keep building up dirt around them to support the stalk, and let little baby bulbs start growing in the root system. In my experience, however, using a pot basically that size, you'll get greens until the onion/garlic has run out of layers to sprout up, and then you might as well put in another bulb to replace it. My parents have some that grows in their back yard, but it's been growing wild since before we moved into the place, so I can't tell you how it was established.

Pajaro Pete
07-02-2012, 05:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bQXM4.jpg
THEY GROW

Falselogic
07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Garden is in full swing! (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/07/09/spring-garden-2012-summer-heat/)

Zucchini and tomatoes taking over everything

Lady
07-10-2012, 07:15 AM
MORE CUCUMBER

what times of day do you water? morning/night?

Falselogic
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
MORE CUCUMBER

what times of day do you water? morning/night?

D thinks I'm overwatering which is why there are so many white flies on the zucchini. So I'm moving to watering nights maybe every two days.

Pajaro Pete
07-17-2012, 12:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iKsIk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IpHtb.jpg
PEPPERS AND EGGPLANTS AND TOMATOES OH MY

Falselogic
07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
I was going to post an update (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2012/07/17/spring-garden-2012-tally-update/) to what we've harvested so far this year but Turnip has put me to shame....

Pajaro Pete
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/e6TLP.gif
aw shucks

but seriously gonna go get some bottles and some vinegar and make me some pepper sauce http://i.imgur.com/8ENFk.gif

Lady
07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Our Kindergarten play was an adaptation of the Three Little Pigs (to fit 80 players) and I played the Turnip Farmer.

But I didn't look like that picture...

Pajaro Pete
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
princess_maker_2_farmer_ending.png
or
princess_maker_2_farming_job_animation.gif

Mightyblue
07-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Lots and lots of tomatoes (all cherry and the little pear shaped ones, so they actually have flavor to em).

Solitayre
07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Today I made salsa with vegetables from my garden.

It was basically the best thing ever.

pencils
07-18-2012, 11:18 AM
i don't know if it's considered a garden, but i do have a baby apple tree growing in my living room along with a bunch of potted plants... maybe someone can tell me when i should plant it in the ground for maximum apple action.

Balrog
07-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I planted a garden a few months ago with my kids and they up and decided to pick one of the cucumbers today but I don't think it had ripened all the way. It smells amazing though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22576215/cucumber.jpg

Violentvixen
07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
LEAF MINERS AND APHIDS SUCK.

Gah.

Ryonin
07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Man... I really want to move the raspberries out into the light more, but it's my parents' house, and I don't think they like the idea of them being in the middle of the yard. I try so hard to trim back all that damned buckthorn, but it's to no avail. There isn't enough light, and hasn't been there for years. Why the raspberries chose that spot, I cannot say. They disappeared for a few years and popped back up in a shadier spot.

Lady
07-26-2012, 07:39 AM
I planted a garden a few months ago with my kids and they up and decided to pick one of the cucumbers today but I don't think it had ripened all the way. It smells amazing though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22576215/cucumber.jpg

As big as that is, it ought to have been ripe!_!

That looks a lot like one we discovered had lain unpicked for too long a few summers ago
http://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/monstercumber.jpg

Lady
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I laid my Valentines orchid to rest today-- It died what must have been a watery death, despite my best efforts.

RIP Phalaenopsis
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yvc2i8QcYpk/Tz23hthEzmI/AAAAAAAALM8/dJ5jpNK2VfY/s635/IMAG1980.jpg

my Ardisia humilis (I think?) that was doing so well outside must have been getting too much summer. The leaves all turned white and spotty on teh bottom and were shedding like Jake must. I brought it inside and hung it in the kitchen and they've mostly stopped falling off, but it hasn't put on any new. I'm pretty worried :(

Falselogic
09-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Final Davis garden update (http://wp.me/p1JuHh-10K)

*sniff*

Violentvixen
09-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah, it's already started freezing at night here so we're winding down as well. It was a cool summer so I've heard a lot of griping from coworkers about bad yields, but oh well. I harvested as much as I could earlier this week. (http://www.talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=1393008&postcount=1209)

The Good
Rainbow Chard- still growing, leaving it out for the winter. Sounds like it will go dormant at some point and sprout again in March or April.
Romaine Lettuce- Did really well and I was much more careful about harvesting it and preventing bolting this year. Should have planted a second crop later on, I'll do that next year.
Red Romaine- Not as prolific as the normal romaine, but definitely got a lot out of it!
Lemongrass- I've been good about bringing this one in as needed so it's doing well. I don't really know
Asparagus- Grew well for the first year but I didn't plant it quite deep enough. Hopefully it'll be okay next year when it's ready for harvest. Anyone have any tips on getting it through winter?

The Meh
Garlic- Tiny bulbs and cloves! Still edible but definitely not a huge success. Still, this is really easy to grow so I'll do it again.
Squash (Cocozelle I think)- I got about four tiny squash. Only one plant bloomed due to the cooler weather so a lot of the flowers never got pollinated. I'll have to try more plants next year, although I'm not sure where they'd go...
Basil- Overwatered it and left it out at night too much, debating whether or not it's worth trying to save. Got a lot from it though.

The Bad
Cucumber (Marketmore and Lemon)- The vines grew about a foot and now it's cold. They died from cold last year too. I'm debating trying to dig them up and keep them indoors, but I don't think they last longer than a season anyway? From talking to coworkers it sounds like most people who have cucumbers have water walls or greenhouses so I might just give up.
Pak Choy- No luck, I talked to a coworker and he didn't get anything from his plants either so the weird temperatures this year must have messed this up.

The things I want to try are: horseradish, rhubarb, celery, carrot, onion, leek. We only had a 4" inch deep garden box at the beginning of the season but got some whiskey barrels (which is when I planted the asparagus) so these are now things I can grow!

Zef
10-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I need help/advice with something. We've been issued an early-morning frost warning, and temperatures are indeed dropping to the 40s this week. Therefore, I'm worried about the care I need to give to my outdoor plants and how to deal with them in winter.

I have a small pot (organic coconut fiber) of spearmint, which died from extreme heat in the summer heatwaves but resurrected over September, and its new branches are huge and lush. I water it every two days, will probably change it to every three as it gets colder.

I have a small blueberry which didn't yield much of a harvest, but is healthy and vibrant. Somehow, a weed got into its, but I didn't notice it until this week and I wonder if it's hurting the blueberry.

I have a poinsettia which I've been tending to since last November. It started off as a small tabletop thing, got huge over the summer, and I just transplanted it to a much bigger pot last week which led to a sudden growth spurt of about 1/3rd its original size.

Finally, I have a 4-gallon pot with potatoes. I don't know the kind of potatoes, they're the small, baby fist-sized ones instead of the larger ones. I planted them in September, and within one month, they've grown into a small jungle in their pot, and the vines, already over a foot tall, recently collapsed under their size and are hanging down the sides, threatening to ensnare the balcony's handrails and passing birds.

The most dramatic change was over the last week, where it rained almost nonstop every single day. The blueberry just got greener, but the spearmint grew out about an inch per stem, the poinsettia became a small tree, and the potato vines became their own ecosystem. The indoor plants I keep in the room that leads to the balcony (a room that gets a LOT of natural sunlight) are doing pretty well, too, with the windows open 24/7. Now, I know I'll be bringing in the mint and the poinsettia, since the former is particularly delicate and frost can kill the latter, but should I bring in the blueberry and potatoes too, or simply move them to the roofed deck where they would be protected from frost but would still be at the mercy of freezing temperatures?

Oh! And also, I was given a bag of tulip bulbs as a gift. I have enough clay pots to plant them either individually or in pairs, but if they do well outdoors in the winter I might just get another planter and hang it inside the railing of my deck. Or should I keep them indoors too?

Falselogic
10-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Zef,

I believe you can leave the tulips outside they will die off but the bulbs will bloom in the spring. For the rest of the plants you either need to bring them inside at night or get a big fluffy towel and start covering them at night and uncovering them in the morning.

This is pretty effective for temperatures that get down into the low 20s. I don't know anything about temperatures below that because... Why would anyone live where it gets that fucking cold!?

Lady
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Plant the tulip bulbs-- many bulbs you're supposed to plant in autumn, so that they have a dormant period before growing in the spring.

Bring everything else inside and get a spray bottle to mist the berries and mint.

Technically, you're supposed to dig up potatoes before the ground freezes, store them overwinter in a cool dark place, then plant what you didn't eat in early spring, but since yours are in a pot, you can probably bring them inside. You'll want to do this soon, because if the plant freezes, you'll have wasted all the energy that was in the potato when it was planted.

flawgic, when you covered your plants, were they in pots or in the ground? I've had some bad experiences with covering my potted plants in the high 20s, so I'm leery of suggesting it

Falselogic
10-14-2012, 06:45 PM
flawgic, when you covered your plants, were they in pots or in the ground? I've had some bad experiences with covering my potted plants in the high 20s, so I'm leery of suggesting it

Both, but it only got into the low 20s in Davis maybe twice in four years. During the winters though we covered all our plants potted and in the ground.

Lady
12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I've been having a hard time getting anything to thrive at this apartment, but I checked my daffodil bulbs I put out, and two of them have some root growth!

I kinda got the literal bottom of the bulb barrel, so this is pretty good

Ryonin
12-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Saved three bulbs of lovely gourmet garlic of indeterminate origin. We've been getting them from a place up north as gifts for several years now. Usually they've been labeled, but not this time. Most likely Georgian Crystal hardneck. Put them in a shallow holding pot with soil enough to cover them until we get more potting soil to plant them at the proper depth. Two have sprouted nicely in our basement under the grow lights. Need to get that soil.

Pajaro Pete
04-14-2013, 01:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LdGFX2W.gif

so who's planting stuff this year

Ryonin
04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
http://oi49.tinypic.com/5npum8.jpg

The weather hasn't been on our side here in Wisconsin lately. But I'm getting some san marzano tomato, pantano romanesco tomato, shiso, and corsican basil seeds to try my hand.

Also have a stack of firewood that's been decaying in my back yard for over a decade that I'm gonna try and set up a hügelkultur raised bed. Maybe edge it with some bricks.

Lady
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
I've been having a hard time getting anything to thrive at this apartment, but I checked my daffodil bulbs I put out, and two of them have some root growth!

I kinda got the literal bottom of the bulb barrel, so this is pretty good

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--DqqUWAAawA/UWHRHBLH7bI/AAAAAAAAcAk/Mae2tmi3Otg/s600/IMAG3779.jpg

one of them bloomed! Also, you can see spuddy 2.0. I need to get a picture tomorrow, as this one is a week old or so.

I keep wanting to do an indoor potato something like these (Except with more light and root space so they don't look so sad)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EmJHuK8RG6c/UWp5ZRtMyQI/AAAAAAAAcFA/16Qie9v0nBM/s600/IMAG3792.jpg

Violentvixen
04-15-2013, 07:34 AM
I was going to do some gardening this weekend but ended up being too tired. Turns out that was a good thing as it started snowing last night and still is now!

Lady
04-20-2013, 10:49 AM
My potato plant looks like it's thinking about flowering! I know that the flowers don't usually produce fruits (that's the roots duh) but I've never seen one bloom before, so I'm pretty excited. It kinda reminds me of a part of one of the Little House books where I think Almanzo's dad was talking about how if you have a potato seed, you have no idea what kind of potato will come up from it, but if you plant a shoot, then you do. To think, a potato seed. How crazy!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YFtC1NdPpr0/UXLSwZGuO2I/AAAAAAAAcHY/p-KpSVEoUaQ/s633/IMAG3803.jpg

I also fertilized my orchid last night. I was very happy to see that the root system is very healthy still! I overwatered my last orchid and it just withered up.

Lady
04-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I also fertilized my orchid last night. I was very happy to see that the root system is very healthy still! I overwatered my last orchid and it just withered up.

I checked the bottom of the orchid to make sure that it wasn't getting too damp down there, it was, but apparently when I had added some rocks and soil to drain, I had included some pumpkin seeds, which sprouted in the darkness down there! I removed them and all the other organic moisture trapping stuff.

And 5 of my strawberry seeds have sprouted! So exciting^_^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lady
05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
I have more strawberry sprouts! I recently bought some of the cheapy $1 flower starter kits at target, so I set out a bunch of those as well as a plastic catfood can(washed and actually plastic) out in the window to see what will happen!

the flowers are forget-me-not, daisy, and sunflower. I also had poppies, but used them for strawberries, so we'll see about putting those in after the strawberries die or get transplanted.

I also got an english thyme plant as a going-away present! It smells really good. I've put it out on the porch for now.

Meg
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Every time I'd get ready to take some photos of the garden, we'd have more near-freezes and I had to wrap everything up. Stupid weather has delayed everything.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/tomatorow.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Bluelimer/media/tomatorow.jpg.html)
Part of the tomato row. No tomatoes, but at least they're healthy.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/blehpeppers.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Bluelimer/media/blehpeppers.jpg.html)
Frost stunted peppers. I'm waiting to see if they'll perk up once we get warmer temperatures.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/ogenmelon01.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Bluelimer/media/ogenmelon01.jpg.html)
These melons are really behind schedule.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/blackberries01.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Bluelimer/media/blackberries01.jpg.html)
Blackberries!

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/Bluelimer/2013flowers.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Bluelimer/media/2013flowers.jpg.html)
Various flowers, some native and some not. They laugh at Texas weather, thankfully.

Not pictured: Stunted strawberries, squash, beans, zinnias, and sunflowers.

Büge
05-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Question for you gardeny types: How well does dirt keep, exactly? There's a couple window boxes filled with soil on the balcony here, and they've been around since at least a year ago.

Lady
05-06-2013, 07:01 PM
You'll probably want to fertilize it, especially if something was growing in it before then. Other than that, as long as whatever was in it last didn't die of disease, you're probably okay.

Büge
05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
What kind of fertilizer do you recommend?

Lady
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
honestly, I know very little about it, but apparently some plants will prefer more acidic and some more alkaline soil, so I guess, think about what you're going to put in there

or just buy some generic miraclegro like I do.

Lady
05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Photos!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nucHTsKM3iY/UYrxlvwJoUI/AAAAAAAAdOM/B9lr0zufyFU/s600/IMAG3931.jpg My birthday orchid

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qyfSVwF0yFk/UYseE0VVZMI/AAAAAAAAdQQ/z_kyZ3FxyBA/s600/IMAG3932.jpg Pumpkin sprouts. they're actually like 3 inches taller now

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7icE5g4vijQ/UYrxqnrnXwI/AAAAAAAAdOY/6Pmf6Ib218M/s600/IMAG3933.jpg Baby strawberries

TheSL
05-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Ripped out a stupid rock garden the previous owners had put in that I was maintaining for a few years, replaced it with flowers.

Before:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/20130511_162746.jpg

After:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/20130512_170157.jpg

upupdowndown
05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I've just bought the materials to make two EarthTainers (http://earthtainer.org/) - basically growing boxes that use wicking action to keep the soil moisture just right for growing tomatoes. So I'll be making those in the next two weeks and putting in some tomato plants. Will also be getting some chard, kale, and brussels sprouts plants to plant in our raised bed, as well as basil, rosemary, and sage. Also thinking of growing some nasturtiums in a pot because they're pretty and they're dynamite in salads - edible flowers are awesome!

shivam
05-13-2013, 01:09 PM
you know what i discovered this weekend? Sweet Pea ornamental flowers. They smell even better than jasmine! every garden needs them.

Red Hedgehog
05-16-2013, 08:26 AM
So what's the best way to not get a basil plant to die? They're on sale at whole foods now and my wife and I love fresh basil, but every time I've gotten a plant, it lasts 5 days at most.

Lady
05-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Where do you keep it? What kind of sun, soil, and heat?

Daikaiju
05-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Gots to kill a stump. Tree guy said to use old oil?

Lady
05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Burning works (but is slow). Do you know anyone with a heavy duty truck or a tractor?

Daikaiju
05-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Not nearly enough room in the yard for that.

Lady
05-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Google recommends an herbicide called glysophate if the tree is freshly cut. I would avoid using motor oil, as it'd be easy for it to leak into the environment

Daikaiju
05-20-2013, 10:43 AM
That's my concern as well.

Meg
05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
The stump question pops up on the radio show here pretty often:

http://www.neilsperry.com/maq/trees/how-can-i-keep-a-stump-from-sprouting-out.html

Red Hedgehog
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Where do you keep it? What kind of sun, soil, and heat?

Windowsill. I've tried it so many times, I don't really remember the specifics. It usually doesn't live long enough for me to think I should change the soil.

Lady
05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
How does it die, exactly?

Lady
06-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Bulbs are amazing.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NcS3I98kO_Q/T6a-WzB570I/AAAAAAAAOC8/ObV-31hTqQg/w492-h656-no/IMAG2474.jpg
I planted the lily in the middle about a year, maybe 13 months ago, and they all bloomed and died off.

Then yesterday, I noticed that something was coming up underneath my (new) lavender plant.

Pretty sure it's lily sprouts!

Red Hedgehog
06-13-2013, 10:47 PM
We got a basil plant in this week's CSA delivery (first one of the year, so exciting!). I wonder how long until it is dead?

upupdowndown
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
So I ended up scrapping my EarthTainer plans for the year, I'll probably build them over the winter. But I do still have a lot happening in the garden this year.

Here's the main raised bed:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/danielmess/2FFF8FD8-2518-4E52-8590-6F22270AFDEB-15637-00001A3D2F1769AE_zps0cc8913c.jpg

From left to right, we've got rainbow chard, kale, brussel sprouts, thyme and lemon thyme (tucked under the HUGE brussel sprouts), three varieties of basil, lavender (which isn't growing much at all :( ) and a rogue tomato plant that reseeded itself from two years ago.

Besides the basil and thyme, I've also got two more herbs:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/danielmess/1D0746E6-4503-44FA-AB57-C59CDAFD4A71-15637-00001A3D1CE329A3_zps289c6830.jpg

sage and rosemary. The sage has been loving the cooler weather and plentiful rain. The rosemary would prefer it to be hotter.

Finally, I'm also growing nasturtiums, which have only been so-so:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/danielmess/08522BC6-046A-4BB1-A2F1-44873E95323D-15637-00001A3D043F6714_zpsbb329e1c.jpg

In addition to being pretty, you can put the leaves and the flowers in salads.

Droewyn
07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
I have a few herbs in pots on our windowsill. The chives are half dead due to overwater and even the dill is going yellow. I didn't know it was POSSIBLE to overwater dill.

I haven't actually watered any of these plants since May. It's all from rain.

Catmint's doing fine, though.

ThornGhost
07-09-2013, 06:53 AM
My Cherokee Purple tomatoes are finally ripening. I cannot wait to taste that tomatoey, tomatoey flavor.

Falselogic
07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Some eggplants:

http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/d9d9d27ce76d11e2984f22000a1fb895_7.jpg

Some peppers:

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/87d49786df9411e2b6c722000a9d0edd_7.jpg

And more (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2013/07/03/gardening-summer-2013-edition/)

Pajaro Pete
07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
i wonder how hard it is to grow grapes

Solitayre
07-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Grapes only grow well with very specific climate/soil conditions, so not really a garden-variety plant.

Pajaro Pete
07-09-2013, 12:51 PM
well i mean scupadines grow here so it shouldn't be too big of a problem

upupdowndown
07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Grapes only grow well with very specific climate/soil conditions, so not really a garden-variety plant.

Specific grape varietals can be finicky, but there're certainly plenty of vineyards in SW Ohio and SE Indiana, and I routinely walk by wild grapes growing up buildings in my neighborhood, so I think that if Turnip did a little research he'd be able to find some grapes he could grow.

Falselogic
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Specific grape varietals can be finicky, but there're certainly plenty of vineyards in SW Ohio and SE Indiana, and I routinely walk by wild grapes growing up buildings in my neighborhood, so I think that if Turnip did a little research he'd be able to find some grapes he could grow.

Yeah, he won't get wine grade grapes out of them but he might be able to get some decent table grapes out of it.

TheSL
07-10-2013, 06:11 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/20130512_170157.jpg

Whelp, between a heavy rain and wind spring / early summer and repairs being done on the exterior of my home these are all pretty much dead. At least the sunflowers came up in the next section over. :/

Teaspoon
12-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey, Lady, if you're still reading this thread...

I bought a mint plant this summer on impulse and now feel a bit responsible about it. It was doing pretty well up to now (I really should have repotted it, I just had it on a windowsill in the little pot it came in, but I did keep it moist and kept it fresh with tea bags) but with rain and winter it's distinctly wilting now. I'd kind of like to not kill it, but what's the best way to do that? Pull sprigs and keep them in water until spring? Let it go dormant outside once the rain's stopped? Repot it and hope for the best?

Lady
12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't know :( Caterpillars ate mine. Maybe bring it inside to a sunny window? I'm not sure if they're perennial or not.

Teaspoon
12-07-2013, 06:23 PM
It's inside at the sunniest window I've got, but it's wilting anyway.

Ah well. Just have to see how it goes, I guess. Thanks.

upupdowndown
12-13-2013, 07:07 PM
mint is perennial and should basically be reclassified as an herbal biological weapon, because it's so hardy and spreads like crazy. Mint should basically only ever be raised in pots unless you're wanting to grow vast amounts of it, because it puts out runners like whoa.

one of my friends in college got so pissed at his landlord one summer that he decided to GO NUCLEAR by planting some mint plants in the yard

Falselogic
12-13-2013, 07:08 PM
mint is perennial and should basically be reclassified as an herbal biological weapon, because it's so hardy and spreads like crazy. Mint should basically only ever be raised in pots unless you're wanting to grow vast amounts of it, because it puts out runners like whoa.

one of my friends in college got so pissed at his landlord one summer that he decided to GO NUCLEAR by planting some mint plants in the yard

tell that to my puppy. Who decimated all of our mint in a matter of hours...

goodbye mint it was nice to know you...

upupdowndown
12-14-2013, 03:17 PM
well, your dogs are whirling dervishes of vegetal destruction

Lady
12-14-2013, 03:37 PM

I hear that raspberries are similar.

Lady
12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
my quest to transplant all my favorite things at my childhood home to my apartment continues

today, I dug up more narcissus bulbs from the yard, then went into the pasture to the old homestead to try to find some of the daffodils that live there. My 1-2x great grandparents lived out there, and their house is long gone, but the daffodils still come up every year.

Unfortunately, we were a little big early and they hadn't sprouted, but we just kind of guessed where there would be some based on previous years, and managed to hit a big load on the second try!

It's really cool, because the bulbs have already sprouted growth about 2 inches long; pale and white since they won't be photosynthesizing until they emerge aboveground in February.

There were also some rose vines that had gone somewhat wild. we cut out some big root segments to see if we couldn't bring some back to the house. I'm not sure what I'll need to do with it to bring it home.

I had a daffodil/narcissus looking shoot that came up late in summer that has died back. From my reading today, it looks like shocking the bulbs by transplanting or dividing them can sometimes set them back from blooming again a year or two. That makes me relieved, since I thought that it just didn't have enough resources to survive at all. I wonder if my lily will do the same thing, since it came up, leafed out, and has since died back. Looking forward to next spring!

Falselogic
04-09-2014, 01:49 PM
http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2014-04-06-16.49.24-1024x760.jpg
Hi little cucumber plant!

We put in our garden for the year! (http://www.falselogic.net/dimortuisunt/2014/04/09/summer-garden-2014/) We had more room than we used. But, because of the pups destroying our last two gardens we're starting small!

Anyone else put theirs in yet?

Pajaro Pete
04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/f22330b0ef92f7ecb0bf3d4635c64835/tumblr_n3sdg0lAQZ1qlkbeho1_500.jpg

not yet, but soon.

Büge
04-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Hey Green Thumbs! I live in an apartment facing east, and I want to grow things. What kind of plants benefit from lots of early-morning light and are robust enough to not die?

Falselogic
04-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Hey Green Thumbs! I live in an apartment facing east, and I want to grow things. What kind of plants benefit from lots of early-morning light and are robust enough to not die?

Herbs are good for this kind of thing. I'd try tomatoes and peppers too!

Büge
04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
How close to the window should I keep them? Or on the balcony, maybe?

Falselogic
04-10-2014, 09:32 AM

its not freezing at night is it? If not outside is good.

Falselogic
04-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Peppers really like the heat, tomatoes too so as much as that as they can get.

shivam
04-10-2014, 09:35 AM
man, my peppers just aren't growing this year. this is gonna suck =/

Also, anyone have tips on how best to thin out fruit trees? my peach tree is gonna have so many peaches right now that i'm afraid it will break.

Lady
04-10-2014, 07:30 PM
take them off the top while you can still handle them roughly with inpunity

or send me a lot of peaches in a few months

Lady
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
my nasturtium's bloomed!

shivam
04-15-2014, 06:26 PM
ugh, my peach tree's got mega peach leaf curl going on. it's kinda horrifying to look at.

Falselogic
04-20-2014, 02:57 PM
I wanna know what is eating the eggplants in my backyard. I want to know and I want to kill it. Cute bunny or not. Them eggplants are mine!

Solitayre
06-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Anyone have any tips/advice for growing strawberries?

Matchstick
06-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Anyone have any tips/advice for growing strawberries?

We grew them when I was a kid. The one thing I remember is that they're very susceptible to frost, so we had to build a frame with a cover around them. This was in Maryland, so I suspect that it's imperative where you live. I think you need to start earlier in the year as well.

Lady
09-16-2014, 09:45 PM
I was getting very impatient with my four o'clocks, but I finally noticed them setting buds, and tonight they bloomed! Then I checked my g+ auto uploads and saw that last year, they bloomed around the middle of october. So they're a month earlier, at least, probably because they didn't get set back from being transported halfway across the country. But I still wonder why they're so much later than they are back home, where they bloom through the summer.

Also, consider the change a year and a half wreaks:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X1QvLbvOZh8/Ua7N5kDChvI/AAAAAAAAd30/Q-UB7ovGiig/w494-h658-no/IMAG4082.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OWpyntK4wGk/VBkKsjvLSTI/AAAAAAAAnnU/lL5pyhOqPjA/w1117-h629-no/2014-09-16-21-10-03-0369.jpg

Elements
11-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Okay, so, two things.

#1 is hot peppers. My roommate's sister gave me a bunch of them, and there are just the PERFECT amount of heat for me. I asked her when I'd get more, and she informed me there were no more, as she'd moved away from the house they had been growing at. So, I decided I'm going to try cultivating more from the last one. I understand they have a long growing cycle, but I probably started far too early... oh well. I know NOTHING about gardening, but I ended up harvesting all the seeds I could and putting them in a baggy between moist paper towels, because the internet told me to. They've started sprouting, but a few have some white fuzziness on them, probably due to lack of air circulation in a dark moist bag. So, I have them airing out now; most sources say let them dry a bit and get some air to help stave the fuzz off. Even if the fuzz kills all of the seedlings its currently on, there's still plenty of healthy ones. Not really sure what to do now, though? I guess I'm gonna' swing by the store tomorrow, get some kind of nutrient-rich soil, get them all off into individual little cups or trays, and sit them off in the sun room. Maybe be a bit water-stingy with the fuzzy ones. Any advise would be appreciated.

#2, less edible. When I got out of the army a while back and visited my family, most of the plants throughout the house had been abandoned and died off while I was gone, as the family member that cared for them had left. The only one hardy enough to survive was a non-flowering climbing vine that I took into my care. It's doing well enough, but it still has an unhealthy look. When I got it, it was down to two vines, and both had lost most of their leaves near the base. Once I'd nursed it back to enough health to see some leaves on the new vines coming out of the soil, I hacked off one of the vines. I'm trying to get it back to looking healthy like it used to, with several shorter vines without several leafless feet near the pot. But, this had the opposite effect, as the sprouting leaves seemed to slow their progress a lot, and the remaining vine got much longer, and also has even more leafless territory on it. It's been a good while since then, and some of the new sprouts have a couple leaves of their own, and have begun to crawl out of the pot... but I'm wondering if it may be too much of a shock to the plant to hack off the remaining vine, especially at this time of year. Thoughts? Also, this plant is probably over a decade old, so I'm thinking it's probably time to move it to some new soil altogether, or at least to put some kind of fertilizer in there.
EDIT: Actually, it looks pretty much exactly like the plant from Lady's post above!