The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 AM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
The American port of Ys I/II on Turbo Grafx has voice acting that is alarmingly great for its time. Alan "Skeletor" Oppenheimer, Michael "Duke" Bell, many others. So many years before hiring "real" voice actors to put their talent into localization was even a thing in this country.

Just have a listen to the intro. That's Oppenheimer delivering the voice-over.
There was a lot of surprisingly great voice acting going on in games in the early nineties if you knew where to look. King's Quest VI comes to mind.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Not this. (Sorry, Gerad.)
You're not my real dad!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
There was a lot of surprisingly great voice acting going on in games in the early nineties if you knew where to look. King's Quest VI comes to mind.
Yeah, I realize that my perspective comes mainly from console games of Japanese origin. PC games have had great voice acting for a long time. It took a long time for localization efforts to catch up to that level of quality.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Whoever said that there'd be no chiptunes on this list... hahaha. I'm pretty sure a lot of the later entries on this list are going to be chiptune, just like the songs that came after your lament! But I'll go ahead and lament that I have a feeling that a lot of my favorite picks won't show up unless I knew they were popular, which is a shame, as I've only seen one game I've voted for so far. Although I have a sneaking suspicion I know a few from my list that will be close to the top...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all have a pretty good handle of what to expect in the top 10, or the very least the top 5.

I've yet to see anything I voted for show up. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. (j/k)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Stop tempting me into posting spoilers. Plsokthnxbye!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 AM

All Ys games have a great OST after all. I didn't really want to vote for so many titles of the same series and I had a hard time deciding for one, so I simply picked the Ys game that has one of my top 5 songs of all time. (It's not one of the first three.)
But thinking about it, Ys III probably has the best overall OST.

I had a similar issue with Touhou. Could easily put 10 OSTs of that series in my top 25.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
I can see how Suikoden II made it onto this list, but to be honest I'm not really liking it too much better than earlier entries. Not a huge fan of the instruments/tracks used, but as usual I bet it works really well in context and I just don't have that context.
While I'm biased due to how highly I appreciate the Suikoden soundtracks, I really don't think it's just the context. I know someone who didn't like the games all that much, but he recorded the music from the game just to listen it outside the game, because it was just that good.

If anything, I think one of the strengths in Suikoden music is how it sidesteps game music conventions. It lies somewhere between film music and game music, in that it sets an atmosphere instead of just trying to sound "fun" or "energetic" or even "sad" or whatever. But it's also not just background music tied to a specific scene, like film music usually is.

Suikoden music sets the scene for itself. It doesn't need the game, but the game itself is enhanced by it. It's the kind of music where you hear it in the game, and you go beyond what's displayed on the screen, thinking of the world and its surroundings.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM

I saw a leaked list and #1 was crazy bus
Old 09-22-2017, 12:07 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
While I'm biased due to how highly I appreciate the Suikoden soundtracks, I really don't think it's just the context. I know someone who didn't like the games all that much, but he recorded the music from the game just to listen it outside the game, because it was just that good.

If anything, I think one of the strengths in Suikoden music is how it sidesteps game music conventions. It lies somewhere between film music and game music, in that it sets an atmosphere instead of just trying to sound "fun" or "energetic" or even "sad" or whatever. But it's also not just background music tied to a specific scene, like film music usually is.

Suikoden music sets the scene for itself. It doesn't need the game, but the game itself is enhanced by it. It's the kind of music where you hear it in the game, and you go beyond what's displayed on the screen, thinking of the world and its surroundings.
what a great post. i wish i'd included this in my write up.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#28 — Okami
124 points • 5 mentions • Highest rank: #3 (WildcatJF)

Featured Track:

The Sun Rises

Ryoshima PlainsKamiki Village

Composed by:

Masami Ueda
Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Rei Kondoh
Akari Groves
JUN

Platform: Playstation 2 • Release date: April 20, 2006
Shaggy god story

Scoring Okami was a massive undertaking for lead composer Masami Ueda. Up to this point, Ueda's experience was in composing for Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, which— in Ueda's own words— were pretty straightforward: "something scary and creepy [for] Resident Evil" and "something upbeat and cool [for] Devil May Cry". But where do you even begin with a facsimile of traditional Japanese music? That's a style Ueda has never worked in, but he was determined to do it right. His initial research lead him to film soundtracks and artists' albums, but he found these too modern and clean for what he envisioned; instead, Ueda found inspiration from "CDs of children's songs available at knock-down prices". This would be more of an influence than anticipated: discovering that several traditional children's songs had overseas origins, it freed him from feeling like he had to be exactingly authentic and allowed him to do make use of foreign instruments, melodies and scales so long as it still "sound[ed] Japanese-styled".

The result is that Okami's soundtrack is much like its sumi-e art style: it's striking, it's perfectly suited to the game, and there's nothing else quite like it. While working within such a limiting framework could have lent itself to being same-y, predictably and tiresome, Ueda and Yamaguchi cleverly avoid this while still being true to the theme by aiming for emotional variety instead of instrumental or stylistic variety. Okami runs the gamut from energetic and adventurous ("Ryoshima Plains"), soothing and inviting ("Kamiki Village"), mysterious and suspicious ("Granny Bokusen's Theme"), ethereal and enchanting ("Dragon Palace") to the downright magical ("Constellation"). That Ueda and Yamaguchi managed to do so much with restrictions is a real show of their talent.

The featured track is "The Sun Rises", the final boss theme. Even as someone who was pretty down on Okami by the end, I couldn't help but get swept up in this song. The way that it kicks in in the final form, right as Ammy regains the power of the Shiranui makes for a truly magical moment. It's such a rush that the boss fight barely even registers; you hear this song and you know you've already won. This is the game celebrating Ammy and showcasing her courage and strength one final time before the game ends. Truly a remarkable finale.

~ conchobhar
Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#27 — Skies of Arcadia
132 points • 5 mentions • Highest rank: #2 (Mr Bean)

Featured Track:

Blue Rogues' Theme

DelphinusKingdom of Ixa'taka

Composed by:

Yutaka Minobe
Tatsuyuki Maeda

Platforms: Dreamcast, Gamecube • Release date: October 5, 2000
Arcadia Fire

Skies of Arcadia is another game I haven't really played; I rented it once, but I didn't get very far (naturally), and never managed to find a copy later on. But! The music made a big enough impression on me at the time that I downloaded the soundtrack not long after, and have listened to it irregularly ever since. So while I don't have the context supplied by the game, I'd like to think I'm not completely ignorant on it.

Skies of Arcadia was composed by two people: Tatsuyuki Maeda, a Sega veteran whose career was mostly associated with Sonic but with ample experience elsewhere; and Yutaka Minobe, a relative newcomer with only a few composition credits under his belt. In spite of the gulf of experience, Minobe was the lead composer, writing the bulk of the music and working closely with the developers to ensure his score would suit the game. Skies of Arcadia has a proper dynamic soundtrack, adjusting on the fly to match the player's situation; for instance, the various world map themes bring in different instruments to represent different, and boss battles become more triumphant or more bleak depending on how well the player does.

The dynamic music is a great touch, but the soundtrack is a delight even without it. Opening on the aptly-named "Opening Theme", and right away it tells the player what kind of game they're in for. Soaring and majestic, it promises the player an exciting adventure is just around the corner. It sticks in my mind as an iconic game theme, even though I know it doesn't actually have that reputation.

The rest of the soundtrack isn't orchestrated but MIDI, though it hardly comes out worse for it. The music of Skies of Arcadia is, in a word, adventure. It's upbeat, catchy and light, and exactly the kind of music that inspires adventure for adventure's sake. Compared to something like Ys, which is very exciting, Arcadia is more laid-back and joyous, like it just wants to share the wonders of the world with you. This tendency is obviously most prominent in its world map themes (such as "Delphinus"), but it can be gleamed in dungeons ("Dungeon Cave"— have you ever heard such a pleasant cave?) and even battles ("Battle 1").

Being an RPG, Skies of Arcadia takes the player all across the world to all kinds of different locales, which naturally brings some musical variety with it. Each town theme is loaded with character and imagery; again, I never got very far in the game, but with the middle-eastern flair of "Nasrad", the pounding jungle beats of "Ixa'taka", or the accordion sea-shanty of "Sailor's Island", I nevertheless feel like I know these areas inside and out.

With such a diverse soundtrack, it's no surprise that Tyrants couldn't agree on a favourite. But I've chosen to highlight "Blue Rogues' Theme". The theme of our band of heroes, it plays in triumphant, climactic moments where they launch into action, making it very memorable and exciting indeed.

Skies of Arcadia's soundtrack isn't the most daring or unique soundtrack out there, but it doesn't need to be. It's perfectly matched to its game, and it does what it needs to with grace. Few RPGs soundtracks out there can say they're more fitting or effective than Skies of Arcadia.

~ conchobhar
Old 09-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

I wish they'd put Skies up on VC and/or Steam so that when I finally do get around to playing it I don't have to excavate my Dreamcast from storage.

Edit: Oh man, I missed Okami up there. Such great music. Much is made about the art style, but the Japanese tinge to a lot of the tracks really completes the aesthetic. Kamiki Village was my pick. Like Suiko 2's first HQ theme, there's a wistful calm about it that gets me right here.

The other track I was considering was Demon Lord Ninetails, a fantastic theme for my favorite boss fight in a game ever.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:51 PM
It's all good, man

Okami looks so great that sometimes I forget it sounds great too. Really nice score.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I've never played either of those games.

Looks like I may have to pick up the Okami re-release in December.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Outer Spacean

I voted for both of these near the top of my list! Okami is brilliant. Just so much great music. And Skies too! I love them both! I'll write more elaborate thoughts later.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Not a Beer

I had Okami at #9, it's another soundtrack I love a lot. My pick was the sweeping adventure of Ryoushima Plains II, and runner-up was the extensive ending presentation "Reset", but everything in it is pretty great.

Another thing I really like about about the soundtrack is the way effects and other sounds are often used as part of the music - bird cheeps in the sparrow gangsters' hideout, steel on steel in old Mrs Cutter's creepy theme, and so on.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Today's honourable mention comes from pudik. He wanted me to note that this came in at exactly 420 words.

Honourable Mention — Drakengard
35 points • 1 mention • Highest rank: #1 (pudik)

Featured Track:

Ending C

Seere’s Prayer (Sky)Sixth Chapter (Sky)Twelfth Chapter (Ground)

Composed by:

Takayuki Aihara
Nobuyoshi Sano

Platform: Playstation 2 • Release date: September 11, 2003
Drak! En garde!

Although it’s easy to see why a game notorious for hating its player and forcing them to grind hours between cutscenes framed as stage tragedy would appeal to the average person, the truth is really that I only ever played to experience the soundtrack in its environment. Even knowing and loving Nier, it wasn’t until I heard a track (it was a late stage, chapter 12 ground or something I’d guess) that I took the chance on it. As it turns, the experience is as described; with half hour long levels droning on and on through two minute loops themselves comprised of miniature looping passages. Just hit after hit of chopped up and glitched out samples of all your favorite modern classical (Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, etc) sequenced perfectly to file down through the narrative to an almost unbearable cacophony. If the game itself is about contextualizing war and death, the soundtrack itself reflects that: gathering definitively organic music and frantically decaying it.

But even out of context I love that. The compositions sampled still retain their evocations, and the arrangements stay generally respectful even through dissection; especially easy to see in something like Chapter 3 ground theme which is really nothing more than a more violent Rites of Spring. But even emotionally the soundtrack is still focused on the reconstruction of those sources. From the very early stages it is pretty explicit about start/stop melodies, and although it’s not as noisy as Incapacitants or as skittered as Ryoji Ikeda, it’s nothing if not jarring. Even the sparse moments where it’s not entirely dissonant, the crescendo in Chapter 1 sky or most of the Chapter 6 themes, are rarely allowed much time to settle and breathe. It may be weird to say that my favorite soundtrack is one that seems opposed to my comfort, in a game that seems to hate me, but the arrangements within are something that resonates to my tastes. It’s ironically lively and expectedly clever.

I chose the theme for Ending C for my favorite song. May be an absurd place to start for a soundtrack I suggest is well sequenced, and it itself feels like an epilogue. The track itself is just exciting to listen to, though. After a brief noisy open it’s full of bombast and energy overlaid by a generally dark theme, filled in with a flurry of samples playing well with dynamics and panning throughout the soundscape. I don’t really like discussing music with words anyway, but this really does enough talking for itself.

~ pudik
Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Love is OGR

Drakengard's soundtrack is sublime. Totally vital to everything that game is.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
#29 — Ys III
122 points • 5 mentions • Highest rank #2 (Regulus)

Featured Track:

The Boy Who Had Wings

Illburns Ruins (TG16/Oath) • Premonition (TG16/Oath)
I can't abide this erasure of the original soundtrack.

Illburns Ruins
A Searing Struggle
Steeling the Will to Fight

Although I do think the Mega Drive rendition of The Strongest Foe is the best one. It's largely similar to the original due to both platforms using FM synth, but the way it pumps up that mounting chime that comes in at 0:20 is the hypest thing imaginable.

Edit: Same thing with Ys I and II. Did you know Campanile of Lane manages to simulate the sound of a cowbell with FM synth? Most arrangements change it to something mundane like a snare drum or even take that part out of the melody entirely, but nope: FM cowbell!

Last edited by Kishi; 09-23-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Bob

I don't know a ton about Drakengard's soundtrack, but what I do know is that Ending B "Exhausted" is freaking beautiful. The looping, dissonant violins, a soft crooning about self-destruction... it's just sublime. The remix that appears in Drakengard 3 is good in its own way, but I enjoy the original more. All of the songs posted here aren't inherently listenable, but they all are incredible feats of music and definitely lend to the specific feel Drakengard is going for, and for that it is commendable.

Drakengard 3 in and of itself has some really standout songs, although it soundtrack as a whole doesn't feel like it stands up to a few of its best. The Forgotten is a mesmerizing chant set in front of some moody strings and some classical guitar. Empty Tone features Emi Evans singing accompanied by a mournful guitar line (where have we heard that before? ). The Black Song features Eir Aoi in the Japanese version and Emi Evans in the international, take your pick which version of these you like better (I'm preferential to Emi's), but I love the way the theme picks up in the second half of the song. And the ending E theme, This Silence is Mine features the raspy voice of Chihiro Onitsuka (and some questionable... but powerful Engrish) singing about, you got it, embracing the void. I love all these songs to bits, but the rest of the soundtrack isn't really to write home about, so it did not make my list, but I'd be sad to not share some of these tracks from a game that went under the radar.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM

So, choosing a single song made sense, I could make a theme out of it, but requested to choose the supplements too and it was so hard. There's not a single song on that soundtrack I don't adore and every measure of its composition is a hit. 2-25 of my list was a struggle, but god damn if drakengard didn't absolutely destroy them.

Last edited by pudik; 09-25-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:12 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Closing out this week is RT-55J's choice pick.

Honourable Mention — Alien Soldier
35 points • 1 mention • Highest rank: #1 (RT-55J)

Featured Track:

Lurk!!!

From ObjectorAlone'Z'

Composed by:

Kazuo Hanzawa (aka Norio "NON" Hanzawa)

Platform: Mega Drive • Release date: February 24, 1995
FOR MEGADRIVERS CUSTOM

Alien Soldier is a boss rush game. Thus, naturally some of the songs feel as if they were boss monsters themselves. These songs are not meant to get you "pumped up" or "ready to rock" in the same way as many traditional boss-tunes. They're meant to be unruly, intimidating, abrasive, and discordant — a synthesized seige on your ears. Will you beat the auditory chaos into submission and enter a state of euphoric flow, or will you remain confused and dazed and perish like a dog?

For me, the song Lurk!!! epitomizes this feeling the best. For the uninitiated, the context of the song is this: a giant spider and its spawn are steadily eating a giant moth (which you just murdered), which is acting as your sole foothold above their web. If you're not quick to fight back you won't have a wing to stand on before they suck the bird juices out of you. As for the song itself, it begins with some harsh notes, perhaps representing the spiders' unholy glee at finding a new snack, before the noise subsides and gives way to a driving-but-unsteady bassline, providing a slightly (slightly) muted sense of urgency. Then, around the time you realize the spiders have a legitimate chance of actually taking away your footing, the song enters its B section with some warbling squeals, ratcheting up the sense of desperation. None of this is what I would call 'easy listening', but by golly do I love every second of it. (I mean, I've listened to at least 30 loops of it writing this, so it had better be good.)

(The song against the next boss (your how-is-this-supposed-to-be-my-doppelganger), Perfect-Thing, is even less charismatic, with its high-pitched droning and the drums and bass taking the backseat. It's also pretty good, by my standards.)

Of course, Alien Soldier's soundtrack isn't composed entirely of songs like this (in fact, they are the minority). It still has the usual charismatic, wistful, and heroic pieces, but these abrasive, messy 'boss' tunes are what keep me coming back to the soundtrack over and over again. Of all the soundtracks in my top 3 this is the by far the least approachable and the least popular, but on account of its sheer audacity it just felt right to give it top marks.

Truly, a shocking soundtrack if there ever was one.

~ RT-55J
Old 09-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Burnin' like a Noumander

Alien Soldier is massively good. Just about every Treasure game on the Megadrive is, honestly (in all aspects).

I think one of my favourite things about Alien Soldier is the intro text scroll, and it wouldn't be nearly as good if not for the musical selection there. It opens first with an appropriately eerie and alien (heh) track, where it details the story of a twisted regime of terrorism in an alien world, but when it goes into the next part of the story, it changes into this track, less strange and alien, but still incredible in its own right, giving a great deal of weight to the game's plot and setting, and the main character's struggle within all of it. Alien Soldier is a real treasure. As for the more unusual tracks within the soundtrack, !!!...Shade... is pretty amazing too.

EDIT: Also, for fans of Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier did a noisy remix of the Seven Force theme. It's a blast.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:26 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

I woke up with music from Alien Soldier stuck in my head this morning! God, those tunes really worm their way in there
Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Video Monster

Alien Soldier is soooo good. Despite being an outstanding Megadrive OST, it didn't make my list, mostly because I haven't spent nearly enough time with the game. But it's good. Really good.

I've heard of Drakengard, but only in name. That soundtrack is like nothing I've ever heard.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Honourable Mention — Alien Soldier
35 points • 1 mention • Highest rank: #1 (RT-55J)
Coming to America?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

What do you mean? It's on Steam.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
What do you mean? It's on Steam.
I can't tell if this is a witty response (in which case, nice) or genuinely confused (which I get, because it's a dumb joke. Well, joke is kind, its a reference.).
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

OH! OK. Never mind then!!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Out Of Warranty

Guys, just to drop a note - today's write up will be a bit late as something came up on my side that will delay it a bit. Please understand! *bows*

But hey, at least, as an apology, you get a nice picture of the rarest Pokemon of them all, Pupkachu (Electric/Cute)

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation