The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Banned

I owned P.E. and Brave Fencer Musashi(den), beat both of them. Good games.

I had both FF8 demos! I beat the FF8 playable demo probably 10 times waiting for the game to release that year.

*reads what he wrote*

Good lord, what a boring post.

*submits*

Whatever.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Too Much TV Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Orbit View Post
Yeah, they are legitimately good, though nowadays a fair bit clunky, games.
BFM is a great game, if...yes, clunky. It would be even better if everything to do with Steamwood was removed. The first rendition isn't TOO bad, but the second time is controller-breaking worthy.

Speaking on the FFVIII demo, I played it after finishing the full game and actually hated it a lot. It's a demo, true, but it pushed the idea (perhaps by accident) that you had to use GFs every single turn rather than have quality Junctions. The "Need to use GFs every turn!" argument was such a lazy one back in the day.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Not for resale

Full-time work is bad for LP progress. Stardew Valley is significantly worse for it. Put them together and you have no LP progress whatsoever. Bloody hell, I need to get back to this...
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Not for resale

Okay! So I finally got back to this today and recorded footage for the next part. Yes, recorded. No, I'm not doing a video update, it just means I don't have to be quick on the screenshot trigger now and thus can get updates completed in a more timely fashion since I don't have to go back and replay sections to get key screens. So yes, progress! Update should be soon. Like, "tomorrow" soon.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

on hiatus
Old 08-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Not for resale

So, I should explain what happened. Life got super-busy not long after that last post promising an update, due to us unexpectedly having to plan for yet another move in the near future. And just about as I was about to come back to this LP, my PC suffered from massive heat death. As in, 3/4ths of my hard drives, my CPU, and my graphics card all got effectively destroyed by overheating issues.

Now I am a resourceful fellow, so I lost almost no data in the scramble that ensued to get my PC back into working order (it's more powerful than ever now, incidentally). Except... one of the few things I did lose was the latest FF8 update. I also had to reinstall Windows 10. So I have some legwork to do to get FF8 running again, but once I do, I'll be able to do that long-promised update. Sorry for the delay!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Not for resale

Part IV - A Tryst with the Devil

It's been a while, hasn't it? Life has been unreasonably busy, to say the least, but I'm back with a vengeance! Let's FF8, everyone.

We begin where we left off: heading to the Training Center to meet up with Quistis. I'm sure her tutorial fetish will kick in any second now.

Whateva "I'm not sure..."
Quistis "You can defeat it quite easily by using {Status-J}."

Called it. SKIP!

I think we can handle a prehistoric nightmare resurrected for no good reason, Quistis. Let's just go already.

Quistis "Come on, let's go to the 'secret area'. It's just inside the training center."

And by "just inside" she means "literally as far from the entrance as you can possibly get". Quistis is bad at directions. And she has a fetish on giving directions. Go figure.

Before we go, let's give her better magic. One nice feature of all releases of FF8 besides the original Japanese one is this feature: Junction Exchange. It does exactly what it says on the tin, swapping all equipped spells, GFs, and abilities between the selected characters. This shaves off literal hours of game time, and it sucks balls that original Japanese release players didn't have it.

♪♪ Fear ♪♪

So, on to the Training Center! As the name implies, you can fight monsters here. If, you know, you want disgusting experience all over your nice new jacket. Fun Fact: FF8 experience points smell like a combination of milk farts and crushed ants. And that's just gross.

♪♪ Don't Be Afraid ♪♪

Despite Quistis' warnings, most of what you find here is not in fact giant dinosaurs, but rather giant man-eating pitcher plants that like to inflict Sleep status. Because that's so much better.

The Secret Area is not really very well hidden. I mean come on, there's even a save point right next to the entrance, and said entrance is glowing bright yellow. Must try harder, students!

♪♪ Tell Me ♪♪

As you may have guessed, most of the "after-hours activity" here involves cuddling and making out. No sex, though; that's against school rules! Besides, it's a real mood-killer when one of the sentient plants wanders in and puts your partner to sleep just for kicks.

To get the full FF8 Experience(TM), sit here staring at this image for the next 16 seconds! Yes, really.

What, did you have somewhere else you need to be tonight? Man, you really know how to kill the mood, Quistis.

*Whateva looks over at Quistis, then back away; 8 seconds pass*
Whateva "It's after midnight."
Quistis *lowers her head* "Oh well..."
*10 seconds pass; Quistis looks back up*
Quistis "I, Quistis Trepe, am no longer an instructor as of now!"
(Thank goodness for small miracles; you suck at it, that's for sure.)
Quistis *Looks sidelong at Whateva* "I'm a member of SeeD now, just like you. Who knows, maybe we'll end up working together."
*Whateva glances over at Quistis for a moment, then back; 8 seconds*
Whateva "...Oh really?"
Quistis *Hunches over again* "Is that all you're going to say?"
*5 seconds of silence; Whateva rubs his chin*
Whateva "If that's how it was decided, you have to abide by it."
*Quistis looks down once more; 16 seconds pass*
Quistis "They told me that I failed as an instructor. Basically, that I lacked leadership qualities."
*12 seconds of silence*
Quistis "I was a SeeD by the age of 15, got my instructor's license at 17... It's only been a year since I got it..."
*Whateva looks away from Quistis, arms on his hips*
Quistis "I wonder where I went wrong... I did my best..."
*Quistis realizes that Whateva isn't even paying attention to her*
Quistis "Are you listening?"

Yeah, that's about my response to this scene too.

Whateva *Leans against the wall* "I don't wanna talk about it." *Waves his left hand dismissively* "What am I supposed to say about other people's problems?"
Quistis *gestures at Whateva* "I'm not asking you to say anything. I just want you to listen."

The wall would have more empathy, to be certain.

Quistis *Arms on her hips* "Aren't there times when you want to share your feelings with someone?"
Whateva *Looks away, arms folded* "Everyone has to take care of themselves."
*Quistis nods; Whateva walks off a bit*
Whateva "I don't want to carry anyone's burden." *Walks off*

Pretty much "you" in a nutshell, yes. Way to fail, Quistis.

And then a pointless pan up, because...! Um, they rendered this whole extra chunk of the scene that never gets used and they wanted to show it off? Sure, whatever.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 PM
Not for resale

♪♪ Fear ♪♪

Let's take the other way around this time. There's a single piddling Blizzard draw point over here, and not much else. Well that was totally worth it.

"Whateva, be careful! Sometimes it's better to run!"

Oh gee, what tipped you off, Quistis? Anyway, there is no reason whatsoever to even engage these things. Run away, run away!

Suddenly, an insect cries and someone begs for help! Okay.

I dun wanna.

See? She doesn't even care that we're here. Oh wait, that's our protagonist's name huh?

That's my name, don't wear it out. Also, "Quisty"? Who the hell is this girl and why does she have a pet name for the failed instructor?

No time to talk, we've got a giant bug to swat!

♪♪ Force Your Way ♪♪

So this is Granaldo, the first "real" boss of the game (in the sense that it's not part of any training mission or anything like that). She comes with three armadillo-looking things called Raldo.

Granaldo's main attack is swatting Raldos at you. Their impacts do about 16 damage, assuming you were SMRT and didn't level up.

This is Whateva's damage to Granaldo, by comparison. Curbstomp battles are fun!

Quistis, ticked off still at Whateva's brush-off, decides to take some of her aggression out on him. (Yes, I made her attack Whateva. It'll make sense in a moment.)

Whateva can one-shot the Raldos, and does so.

Before we off this pathetic excuse for a boss, let's check its Draws. Hmm, all unknowns?

Sleep is situationally useful, Blind is generally worthless save for one upcoming fight, and Shell is situationally handy. That said, we're not stocking up on any of them.

On to Raldo! Only one unknown here, Protect. Much like Shell, it's situationally useful, and we're not stocking up either.

Whateva got a little overenthusiastic about self-flagellation there. This isn't FF2, Whateva!

Fortunately, much like almost every Final Fantasy, FF8 features cheap revives in the form of Phoenix Downs. Quarter-HP guaranteed ressurrection for a reasonable price! Suck it, Dragon Quest.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Not for resale

Thanks to that low HP, now Whateva can slash the shit out of the giant bug like it ain't no thang.

So now we finally get to discuss Renzokuken (literally "continous sword")! It's an attack that hits 4 to 12 times, doing 1.5x damage per strike, and if you time R1 presses for the "Trigger!" meter correctly, that becomes 1.5x critical damage per strike. Get a "Perfect!!", and you might even trigger a finishing blow.

That is one dead-as-shit bug. Obviously I didn't get a finisher; it's mostly luck-based (and not Luck-based, which is a meaningful difference). Your hidden Limit stat does impact the odds, however. The Limit stat goes up as HP goes down, and is boosted by a spell called Aura as well. Successive gunblade models get new potential finisher attacks.

Raldo without Granaldo is as nothing, as is Granaldo without Raldos. That said, if you take out Granaldo before any of the Raldos, you will (possibly) have a bad time.

♪♪ Victory Fanfare ♪♪

Done and dusted.

The spoils for this fight are a bunch of Wizard Stones, which let you get -aga spells from them. They're generally pretty useless given how easily you can get -aga spells from other, better sources.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Not for resale

♪♪ Fear ♪♪

This next bit makes little sense even in context. Whateva sheathes his gunblade, the strange girl falls to her knees, and two weirdly-dressed guys come out of nowhere (one of them dropping in from the sky with an animation that would later be used to death in Chrono Cross).

*White-suited guys walk up to the girl and help her up*
(Girl) "...Alright."
*One of the white-suited guys bows to Whateva and Quistis as the other leads the strange girl off; Whateva and Quistis watch them go*

Hey, you tell me, "Quisty".

...Whatever.

*Quistis walks off*
Whateva "...Says who?"

You tell her, Whateva.

Oh great, it's Zell again...

Zell *Crosses legs and puts his hand on his hip* "Where the hell were you? I was lookin' all over the place." *Uncrosses his legs* "We're both members of SeeD, right? Well, guess what!? We got our own rooms, baby!" *Chuckles* "Your new room's right across the hall from your old one. That was what I was asked to tell you. Man, it took me forever!"

Um, Zell? Are you "the gay"? Because no straight man makes that pose un-ironically. Just sayin'.

That sounds like a good idea, yes.

And look who comes knocking the next morning! Well, at least it wasn't Zell again.

"Looks like we're going to {Timber}. Meet {by the front gate}. Hurry!"

How do you pronounce blue text in brackets, anyway? I've always wondered that.

Whateva decides to start his morning right with a little light reading on ways to kill people. The Weapons Monthly magazines are one of the many magazines you can find in the game, and part of the "modernization" effort of FF8's setting that mostly just makes it feel like it's set some time in the late 90s. Weapons Monthly gives you recipes for weapon upgrades, and they're entirely optional since you can make those upgrades even without the magazines telling you how just by having the right number of items to make them. Well, that makes replays a lot easier, at least.

♪♪ SeeD ♪♪

A two-minute jog to the entrance later (seriously, I swear they only make you run between areas like this to pad the game time by a few more hours), we get our next story sequence. Selphie, incidentally, seems to check her shoes for dog shit at least once per scene. I don't know why she's so worried about that, but whatever.

Garden Faculty "...One more minute..."

Cue Zell coming in, drunkenly swerving, on a goddamn hoverboard. Nobody told me we had hoverboards in this world! That is awesome! Where's mine at?

Garden Faculty "T-Boards are prohibited within Garden. Have you forgotten?" (A better question would be, how did Zell even GET that thing if they're prohibited?)
Zell "Oops, sorry! But this is really cool. It may come in handy on a SeeD mission, someday."
Garden Faculty "We'll be the judges of that. Confiscate it."
*The Garden faculty grabs the board, and another one comes up and carts it off*
Garden Faculty "All of you are members of SeeD, but... Nevertheless, you're still students at this Garden. Furthermore, because you are SeeDs, you must set an example to all others and abide by the Garden's rules. Understood!?"

Well, those guys are regular wet blankets. Won't be sorry if I get to stave their heads in later, lemme tell you.

Oh yes, the whole reason we're up at this ungodly-early hour. Please, tell us, headmaster.

Headmaster Cid "You are to go to Timber. There, you will be supporting a resistance faction. That is your mission. A member of the faction will contact you at Timber Station."
Garden Faculty "This person will talk to you and say, 'The forests of Timber sure have changed'. At this time, you must reply, 'But the owls are still around'. That is the password."
Headmaster Cid "Just follow the faction's orders."
Zell *Looks around* "Uh... Just us 3?"
Garden Faculty "Correct. We have agreed to do this mission for very little money. Normally, we would never accept such requests, but..."
Headmaster Cid *Rubs his head* "Enough talk about that. Well then, Whateva, you are the squad leader. Use your best judgement based on the situation. Zell and Selphie, you are to support Whateva and give your all to carry out the faction's plans."

Great, so we're supporting local terrorism now. I just love being a mercenary.

Talking to Cid again yields a bonus item!

"It's a cursed item, but if one with enough power uses it, it should be of great help."
Recieved {Magical Lamp}!
Headmaster Cid "Best of luck on your first mission."

Well then! Let's see what this thing is.

(The Garden Faculty tells you the password again, incidentally, if you talk to him. Great security these guys have. Wanna shout it out?)

But first, Junction swap! As it warns here, you will drop the HP of whomever you swap with back to their regular max amount if it's over that. This is a good thing since Limit rises as HP drops.

This is good advice it gives you up there. For you see...

Last edited by Sky Render; 08-16-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Not for resale

Promotor Fidei - Diablos

♪♪ Don't Be Afraid ♪♪

...This magic lamp does not contain a genie. No, it contains TEH DEBIL! One use of that thing we're in battle with the bat-man. Are we screwed? No we're not screwed. We have Blind, baby!

Diablos has only two methods of attack: gravity spells, and physical attacks. Series long-timers know that a gravity spell can never kill you (unless it's Kingdom Hearts, but this is not Kingdom Hearts jeez you guys), and of course if Diablos is blind he'll hit you about as often as a drunk hits the broad side of a barn with a BB gun from 500 meters away. Which is to say sparingly, even with my bad luck.

So yeah, Blinding Diablos is a good idea! You can stock Demi as well, but that's just silly.

Being at low HP means lots of limit breaks, which means lots of dead Diablos! Here you can see Zell exploiting his limit to the utmost by repeatedly doing Booya and Punch Rush. These two commands always follow one another in availability and only take two very easy button presses to activate. Meaning you can get off, like, 50 of them in a good chain. Not even kidding. Screw Squall's Lionheart, Zell is the real death machine.

This is what the first finisher for Renzokuken is, incidentally. Basically it's Cloud from FF7's Climbhazard attack. And that is one seriously overkilled Diablos.

♪♪ Victory Fanfare ♪♪

Well, now that we have SATAN, I think he deserves a name. A name of 9 characters or less, sadly, so we can't give him his proper name of Widdershins McGee (he hates it when you call him that, BTW). But I'm sure you can give him a nickname he'll like!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Out Of Warranty

The devil, you say? F_LOGIC

By the way, welcome back!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:10 AM
mellow dramatic

Yay, it's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
The Limit stat goes up as HP goes down, and is boosted by a spell called Aura as well.
It's also boosted by negative status effects, meaning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Blind is generally worthless save for one upcoming fight
... you may as well keep Squall Blind at all times, since it doesn't affect him anyway. Exploit or statement? The world may never know!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
... you may as well keep Squall Blind at all times, since it doesn't affect him anyway. Exploit or statement? The world may never know!
Actually, Blind does affect SquallWhateva in a very curious way. His attacks become unfocused, meaning he can do as little as 10% damage per strike. That said, he tends to do at least 75% of his full damage on average, so it's not as huge a detriment as it is for others. And as ever, limit breaks aren't affected by Blind (which is why you'd leave him in that state to begin with), so yeah.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
The devil, you say? F_LOGIC

By the way, welcome back!
I will agree to this...
Old 03-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

abandoned

Tags
ff8 whatever , ffviii , final fantasy