The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I use my blog spot to host my images, but that's because I'm leet.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
I'd actually like to know how much bandwidth Papillon and TheSL have used up, since they have the biggest threads hosted on Photobucket.
So far I've only used up 6.5 GB of my monthly quota (out of 100), so there's definitely a lot to spare.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredlen View Post
I'd actually like to know how much bandwidth Papillon and TheSL have used up, since they have the biggest threads hosted on Photobucket.

Gotta love the file sizes of 8-bit screenshots.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:10 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
The IIgs version is on par graphically with the Amiga and Atari ST versions, while the sound is a fair bit better.
What are you basing this on? (Not like sound matters a lot for a Let's Play)
Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
What are you basing this on? (Not like sound matters a lot for a Let's Play)
The IIgs' sound chip was developed by Ensoniq - and had eight times as many voices as the Amiga's.

(also, personal bias!)
Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 AM
See you April 15th, folks

I, too, would prefer the IIGS version, because when I was growing up the only computer we had in the house was a IIGS, and that's the version of Bard's Tale that I'm familiar with. These are, however, completely idiosyncratic reasons that probably shouldn't bear on your decision.

Of course, largely because we owned a IIGS, we've never purchased an Apple computer since then, which means I'm powerless to help you with your OSX emulation question.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 AM
For blood and gold

Well, all the IIgs fans will be happy to know that it looks like that's the version I'll be going with.

Having never used a IIgs (and not any sort of Apple ][ since 1987) nor an Amiga, getting each of the respective emulators to run was kind of a pain - the Amiga especially because it needs just the right ROM for its configuration and then the graphics seemed shifted to the left (cut off) on the default 640 x 480 screen size and I couldn't figure out how to fix it other than making the screen bigger than it needed.

But anyway Sweet16 is a relatively easy-to-use IIgs emulator (because it makes it easy to specify a boot disk) and it provides the only built-in screen capture of any of the emulators I tried, even if that's just copying the current screen to Mac's clipboard.

Also, djSyndrome was right - the IIgs music is better.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

I mentioned this in a couple of other thread, and it may very well go without saying, but it really does bare repeating.

If you're using Photobucket, don't change the directories of your pictures after you post them. It's a bad idea.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Swag Brotagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
I will offer this tip though: take WAY WAY WAY more screenshots than you'll actually use. Like, whenever something even remotely interesting happens, screenshot it. When you're in the habit of screenshotting everything, you won't miss anything. I've got something like 400 screenshots of FF1 on my hard drive now.

Related: if you use a gamepad, download Joy2Key (Google it for a link, probably) and configure it so your screenshot and savestate buttons (and maybe your pause/fastforward) are right there on the controller. Having "right bumper" be my screenshot button instead of F9 really smoothed things over for me.
These are both great tips, I had to restart my Boktai play-through because I realized that my first run through the first two areas had very little good screenshots, and the second area had barely any screenshots at all. VBA already allows you to map the fast-forward/screenshot to the controller, but that program would be great for other emulators.

I'm glad I started to work on mine early, and messed around with settings. A problem I ran into was that if I had the Real Time Clock enabled for VBA, it caused a problem with running Boktai that made it realize that there was no solar sensor, so the game would lock up because of it, and I had to disable it. Now each time I start it up, I have to re-enter what the current time and date is. It's not that big of a deal, but it did take some figuring out to find what was causing it.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Okay, I have Magic Engine installed, a Hori stick working perfectly and a button to take screenshots mapped.

But.

I'd also like to take video. I tried out Camtasia, which records video fine, but has no options for audio. Any other suggestions for capturing both?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Find Your Reason

Hmm. I'd say, running a feedback loop from your audio output into your Line 1 input and recording it using your software of choice, then using VirtualDub to mix it into the video, but I've only seen other people do that. I haven't tried it myself. Sorry :/
Old 05-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

I seem to be experiencing some funky slowdown with Nestopia lately, and while letting it skip frames pretty much fixes things, the fact that it use to run just fine on the default settings is making me wonder what is causing the slowdown.
Anyone else ever run into the same problem?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssunBug View Post
I seem to be experiencing some funky slowdown with Nestopia lately, and while letting it skip frames pretty much fixes things, the fact that it use to run just fine on the default settings is making me wonder what is causing the slowdown.
Anyone else ever run into the same problem?
*cough*

*g*
Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Guys, how do I make it so I press "print screen" and it saves to a folder, instead of copying to the clipboard?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
Guys, how do I make it so I press "print screen" and it saves to a folder, instead of copying to the clipboard?
In Windows? Third party software. There are about eight hundred different screen capture programs, all of which seem to operate more or less identically.

Emulators tend to have screen capture hotkeys of their own, if that's applicable. (I don't know what you've got in mind.)
Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 PM

Check out Irfanview. It's a nice image viewer as well as a great tool to get screencaps. You can also do batch conversions/renames, which is pretty awesome.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I just checked download.com and found one, it's pretty generic, but it works for my purpose.

Mwahaha this will rock.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Spear of Justice

This seemed appropriate for the thread...I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've noticed a few different "unofficial" patches for Fallout 2. Here's the download page on No Mutants Allowed that I've been browsing through. Do you guys have any advice on which might be the most feature-rich/least buggy of these? I've got the original US version of the game.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
For blood and gold

Can anyone recommend a good spot to host (not large) mp3s? I've been putting them on my old school server up until now and while I doubt my LP has enough people reading to tax its resources, I feel there's probably a better solution.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Can anyone recommend a good spot to host (not large) mp3s? I've been putting them on my old school server up until now and while I doubt my LP has enough people reading to tax its resources, I feel there's probably a better solution.
Archive.org?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Some of the guys over at Overclocked ReMix use tindeck.com to display their WIPs. I don't know if that's a free service or what, but...

Edit: Nevermind, it's only for original music.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM

There isn't any way to do strikethrough text or spoiler boxes, is there? There really should be.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Bug/Flying

There isn't any strikethroughs, no, but you can do spoiler boxes by [encasing them in square brackets and whiting them out].
Old 06-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Sometimes it's nice to put an image inside a spoiler box though.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Visual Boy Advance has died on me.

I'm not sure what's causing this. It worked fine for several weeks, but now it crashes whenever I try to open it. It's happened a couple of times before, and reinstalling it seemed to work, but now even that's not helping.

Suggestions?

EDIT: All right, I've got it working. If prior history is any indication, though, I don't expect this to last.

Last edited by Tanto; 07-20-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:53 PM

Do you get any sort of error message when it crashes? If so, can you try taking a screenshot of it?

Fake Edit: Or not. Next time!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Bug/Flying

I'm considering doing an LP of Star Fox 64 at a later date, and I was wondering if there are any recommended emulators to use. Or would it be better to just hook up my brother's old N64 and record it from there somehow?

I won't be working on it for a while yet, but any info would definitely be helpful.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Project 64 and 1964 seem to be two of the best Nintendo 64 emulators. I recommend trying 1964 first.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

I know someone asked this above, but I didn't see a really good answer, but for my Let's Play I was going to throw up some music (hopefully), and I was wondering if there's a good place to do so. Also, would it be better to let people be able to download music, or just stream it?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Okay, here's some test screens from SRT:W using no$gba 2.61. It doesn't look half bad, even in a mid combat animation shot.

Tags
how do i screenshot web , tech support