The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Eddie's was even better, though, he got it so that he only needed to change the image number for each image, and they were all sequential.
I'm nearly there.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Eddie's was even better, though, he got it so that he only needed to change the image number for each image, and they were all sequential.
I don't understand how that's better, so perhaps I'm missing something? I don't need to change any numbers. The images are all just addressed automatically (and they're all ordered sequentially, less the gaps for the ones that I upload but decide not to use).
Old 08-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I don't understand how that's better, so perhaps I'm missing something? I don't need to change any numbers. The images are all just addressed automatically (and they're all ordered sequentially, less the gaps for the ones that I upload but decide not to use).
He didn't have to learn regular expressions?

You're looking at this from your perspective instead of mine!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Bertolli?!?...

lol, fair enough, although, to be clear, I just had to write them once, and I've been using the same set ever since.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

I'm just using Notepad, Infraview, MS Paint and HEART which means I'm probably a model of simplicity, but it sounds like JBear and Falselogic are doing less work.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:52 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I'm just using Notepad, Infraview, MS Paint and HEART which means I'm probably a model of simplicity, but it sounds like JBear and Falselogic are doing less work.
What's this HEART thing? I've never heard of it.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
What's this HEART thing? I've never heard of it.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
really gets you into flow.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT ON 03-20-2015 02:24 PM View Post
NEXT TIME: THE UPDATE ABOUT TEXT THAT I MENTIONED LAST TIME I SAD NEXT TIME.
HAHA OH WOW OKAY LET'S DO THIS LIKE A YEAR AND THREE QUARTERS LATER WTFEVER

Shockingly, while Youtube Continues to re-design everything every other month, Youtube EDITOR is pretty much exactly the same as it was back in the dinosaur days when I wrote the first batch of these posts. So let's ease back into this hellhole nice and gentle, with one of the most simplistic, and also COMPLETELY FUCKING USELESS tools, TITLES. They're found under the lowercase "a" tab at the top right of the whole shebang.

IT'S BEEN SO LONG, YOU THOUGHT I LEFT YOU

As you can see we have a few basic options, all of which are kind of just... ehhhgh. You know? Like, I don't HATE em, but I kinda hate em? You get me right? Yeah you get me. Whatever. Let's just grab, oh IDK, how about EVERY LAST ONE OF EM and dump em in our timeline.

BET NONE OF YOU COULD FIGURE OUT HOW THIS ONE WAS GONNA LOOK.

So first up is Centered Title which is exactly what it sounds like. You can have multiple lines of text, change the font, text size, text color and background color. It is literally the most boring thing imaginable, and should never be used by anyone.

MUCH BETTER

Banner allows you to put up to 2 lines of text, positioned and aligned however you want it, accompanied with a translucent banner behind said text. Note that in my screenshot I've set the banner to 50% opacity, so the RED bar over the BLUE background gives us PURPLE! if I moved the opacity slider to 100% it would be Red, while 0% would give us no banner at all. The banner height slider determines how tall the banner will be. I've set it to 25% because I think it frames the text properly at that level. If I added another line of text my text would be jutting out of the banner, so I'd have to make it bigger.

Banner does literally everything title does, with the only drawback being you're limited to 2 lines of text. And if your "Title" has more than 2 lines your title sucks and you should work on your naming skillz.

THE JOKE IS DRUGS

Fade fades in. And then fades out. You'd think there'd be some options for stuff like, how long should the fade-in/fade-out last or something like that but nope, the fade in always lasts exactly one second, and the fade out always lasts exactly one second. Completely fucking useless.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLFUCKYOU

You wanna know how bad Slide is? Well the ONLY POSSIBLE FUNCTION of sliding text is so you can a long spiel of words scroll across the screen. Like, where the full text is longer than the length of the screen so you can read it as it goes past, right? Well that picture you just scrolled past is the Slide text CUTTING OFF THE FRONT PART OF A LETTER because it would have been offscreen. You can change the direction it goes, so I made it go the wrong direction because lol who cares NEVER FUCKING USE THIS.

EH.

And then there's Zoom. Zoom zooms in! It never zooms out! You cannot choose how long it will zoom in for, it will zoom in for exactly one second, just like how fade will always fade in for exactly one second, and slide will slide in for exactly one second.

So yeah, it's exactly as useless as slide, only without any sort of DONE HERE extravaganza!

Well wow! All of those sound just godawful! Why would you even talk about this BEAT?

Find out, NEXT TIME!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:44 PM
pouty mario player

Anyone got tips on how to capture N64 games directly to Elgato? Is there any way to make it so it isn't 4:3?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto View Post

Anyone got tips on how to capture N64 games directly to Elgato? Is there any way to make it so it isn't 4:3?
You can stretch or crop your capture window in OBS.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM
pouty mario player

Quote:
You can stretch or crop your capture window in OBS.
For direct capture in Elgato? How do I do that? I'm too much a tech noob to do these advanced things.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Sudden chomper

So what are people using for image hosting these days? I have a Photobucket account, which I've used in the past, but right now it's driving me bonkers and I hate it. I've gone to some trouble to give my images nice names (blah 001.png, blah 002.png, etc), but when I upload them to Photobucket it appends a bunch of junk characters at the end. That means I can't just copy my image tags and change the number, I have to go to the damn website and get the direct link for each individual image. Not gonna happen. Can anyone recommend a good image hosting service that will make this process less painful?

Also, literally every part of using Photobucket is like having your sensitive bits dragged through broken glass covered in lemon juice. It's so awful.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I realized maybe I could find an answer by, you know, looking for one. And it turns out that you can turn off URL scrambling in your privacy options! So maybe I'll stick with this incredibly slow, painful service for now.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM

I'm not a SCREENSHOT LP GUY, but every time I wanna post an image, I just use Imgur.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Sudden chomper

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I've spent the last 24 hours banging my head against my screenshot LP workflow and I think I've managed to beat it into something usable (the workflow, not my head). It isn't as slick as jBear's, but it also doesn't require you to have your own webpage.

1. Take screenshots of the game. I used PicPick as my image capture software and mapped a button on my gamepad to its "repeat last capture" option using Joy2Key. Then I used the "capture fixed region" option to grab the window that my game was playing in (since Window Capture included the title bar, which I didn't want).

2. Organize your screenshots into one folder for each chapter of your LP. This part can take a bit of time and the only way I can think of to make it faster is to get really good at only capturing the screenshots you need as you play, so that you have fewer to sort through. You'll want them to be in order before you start the next step.

3. Batch rename all the images in each folder - I did this using software called Advanced Renamer. Each folder should have a different naming convention, so I've got a folder full of Chapter 1 001.png, Chapter 1 002.png, etc and another folder with Chapter 2 001.png, Chapter 2 002.png, etc.

4. Upload images to your hosting service of choice. I'm using Photobucket out of intertia, but now that I've turned off URL scrambling and made a sub-folder for each chapter of the LP, it's working pretty well.

5. Copy and paste the vBulletin markup language to display one of your images about as many times as there are images in each chapter. Open this up in a text editor and change the number in each line so that you have references to all your images. This is where jBear has me beat, but at least I only ever have to do this once. Like, ever ever - I could very easily use this template for future LPs by find-and-replacing all the "Cool Game Chapter 1"s with "Another Game Chapter 3"s.

Now you can just cut out a 25-image slice from the template file and dump it into a post on TT and you're off to the races. You can include any headers, chapter markers or music tags that come up repeatedly in your template file and it'll save you a lot of time in the long run.

If all goes well, you'll be seeing the fruits of my labor soon.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Sounds pretty close to mine.

I capture, batch re-size, rename, and dump into special directories using Irfanview.

I batch upload using FTP to my own site.

I have a blank txt file that has the BB code language set up with the file structure I use. I also know that each post allows for 25 images and I generally considered an update about 4 posts (100 images) so the blank document reflects that.

I plug in text as I look through images and adapt which ones I'll use to the writing, etc. There is some minor editing of bb code (sometimes I want to use img.101 instead of img100 or sometimes I skip an image.)

But that's about it.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Crabjörn

So, you all have probably noticed that a large number of LPs have gone belly-up. This is because Photobucket recently amended their TOS, requiring you to use their most expensive monthly plan (40 US shmuckers a month) for 3rd party hosting. Y'know, that thing that you'll basically have to do in order to run an LP at all.

You can still personally access your Photobucket images no problem without paying, but unless you cough up the money, you can't use that site to host images for an LP anymore. Which is pretty awful! I can't speak to any other hosting services since I'm relying on Aerdan's own server (and I have nothing but gratitude for that), but I'm sure there's other sites you could use to host images for LPs, and I encourage everyone who uses such a service to speak up.

Everything past here just deals with my own LPs, so if you don't care, feel free to pretend the rest of this post has cute cat pics. Mine is grey and very soft.

The bad news is, I sure as hell can't cough up that price to keep my old LPs accessible, since I don't have any work for a few months. The good news is, I don't have any work for a few months, so I have loads of time to shuttle images from my old Photobucket account to a new server. The following LPs of mine are affected, and are listed roughly in order of priority.
  • Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden
  • Custom Robo
  • Killer7
  • Iji
  • Sword of Mana
  • Ib
  • Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Desktop Dungeons
  • So You Want To Be a Hero? (in NWIOT)
  • Chocobo's Dungeon (abandoned)
  • BattleCON (abandoned)

I don't see myself coming back to those abandoned LPs. Both of them were huge time-intensive projects with no end in sight (but for different reasons). However, the other ones I'll do my best to fix up. This won't be easy, because in addition to transferring all the images over, I'll need to go through each thread and update every single [IMG] tag with the new URL. Not only will this be very time intensive, I'll have to read my old writing and cringe at how awful I was back then, but so it goes.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Sudden chomper

I'm about to post another update to my Cave Story LP via Photobucket. =/

So...definitely interested in hearing about good alternatives. I guess if I had to eventually pay for hosting I might consider it, but that's really not my favorite option. It's not like hundreds of people are reading my threads, I mostly do this for myself.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Imgur is my image host of choice, but then all I use them for is posting single images on this forum so as to avoid hotlinking.

They have relatively decent album tools for keeping things on order, but they also rename every file uploaded into a string of random characters, which I imagine would make things difficult when the file you uploaded as "Cave_Story_Grasstown_034.png" becomes "http://i.imgur.com/nwjD2bW.jpg"
Old 07-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
They have relatively decent album tools for keeping things on order, but they also rename every file uploaded into a string of random characters, which I imagine would make things difficult when the file you uploaded as "Cave_Story_Grasstown_034.png" becomes "http://i.imgur.com/nwjD2bW.jpg"
It would be a nightmare! I mean, better than not having images at all, but what a pain. Also, I have no idea what their policy is regarding long-term image storage. I always thought Imgur was for temporary hosting?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 AM

I used Imgur to host all the images in A critical analysis of star fox command endings way back in 2012 and they're all still there.

That said there's GOT to be at least one image hosting site out there that doesnt' do the rename thing.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I've detailed my own hosting up-thread (upload to PicasaGoogle Photos, write updates on Blogger that import the albums), I think, which still works and is entirely free, and I would assume just requires a person to register a free blogger blog (I've had mine for ages and thus can't rule out being somehow grandfathered in). That being said, the move from Picasa to Google Photos as the back-end to my blogger links has added an extra really annoying step, since Google Photos has no sorting options for albums. It auto-sorts on date by default, and since some of my shots are from the same second, I have to manually comb over every update and re-sort in my intended/preferred order by manually inspecting the screenshots, even though the files are all named sequentially (and those name are preserved on upload and in the URL).
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
It auto-sorts on date by default, and since some of my shots are from the same second, I have to manually comb over every update and re-sort in my intended/preferred order by manually inspecting the screenshots, even though the files are all named sequentially (and those name are preserved on upload and in the URL).
So it does preserve filenames? And those names correspond directly to the URLs you use to link them? If so, then this is probably the best solution for me. I already go through my images and sort them/put them into order before I start adding text, so it doesn't represent an additional step for me.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
So it does preserve filenames? And those names correspond directly to the URLs you use to link them?
Aye, but just to be clear/warn you, everything before the filename is a long string of gibberish, which might well be a deal-breaker (I'm just guessing, since I'm not actually clear on why preserving the file-name is important to you). For example, these are the URLs of two sequential screenshots from my last update, named PSDX6D3D505.png and PSDX6D3D506.png on my PC:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T3rL8Zhwyhc/WK5tHNUBjwI/AAAAAAAAQkA/LnlvzBJyawcnlez4VsGXj6ErzIsXL3YvACPcB/s1600/PSDX6D3D505.png

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IwPTkKh88q0/WK5tHDTxCdI/AAAAAAAAQkA/wyKKuZHp0b8ZfMe9RIfZHZohQMkfzRhigCPcB/s1600/PSDX6D3D506.png
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Sudden chomper

Yeah, those are terrible. The reason why I want a predictable filename and URL is because it lets me use the template that I've made to insert images without pasting them in individually. When I go from Chapter 3 to Chapter 4, I just make a copy of my template and find-and-replace all the "chapter 3"s into "chapter 4"s. So Google's way of doing things won't work for me. I mean, unless I decide to adopt your technique of using Blogger as an intermediary. Which I guess I could do, but I just put together this new workflow that I'm pretty happy with. Fuckin' Photobucket, messing everything up for everyone.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Sudden chomper

So...still no ideas for cheap/free image hosting with predictable URLs? Because I'm gonna need something soon and I'd really like to avoid copy/pasting 400 image links from Google Photos if possible.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
So...still no ideas for cheap/free image hosting with predictable URLs? Because I'm gonna need something soon and I'd really like to avoid copy/pasting 400 image links from Google Photos if possible.
Relevant
Old 07-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerdan View Post
Regarding image-hosting: I would be perfectly happy to host images for people, so long as they're capable of using WinSCP (which isn't hard) and changing their passwords via SSH (also not hard), both of which really just require following instructions without embellishment. (You would also be able to host backups of your LPs, in HTML form, on your account.) The URL for such access would be inari.aerdan.org/~username/.

If you want to take advantage of this offer, PM me either here or prod me in #talkingtime on irc.esper.net. I will need a username, unless your forum or IRC username is satisfactory.

Some ground rules for this, though:
  • Nothing illegal; if I get bitched at (my VPS provider forwards complaints to me if they receive any), you get one warning and 24 hours from this notification to remove such content or I will remove your content. This shouldn't be a problem unless you make it one, however.
  • No bitmap images. They're large and unsuitable for web usage. ImageMagick is installed, however, so if you need to batch-convert, and don't have the tools or don't know how to do so, I can show you how and you can do it on the server. (This will require you use SSH to log in, however.)
  • No videos. I haven't the bandwidth necessary to stream them and YouTube and Blip are both better hosts for that anyway.
This is what I used, although I do not know if Aerdan is still offering this, you'll need to ask them.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Sudden chomper

I've always relied on the kindness of strangers tyrants.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I just want to give a quick shout-out to those of you going to the trouble to fix up your old LPs in the wake of this Photobucket shit-show. I have to imagine that it's even more thankless than LP writing itself can sometimes be, and I for one appreciate the effort to preserve things.

Tags
how do i screenshot web , tech support