The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So I'm looking for feedback on my now-complete Let's Stream Bad Rats.

In a standard VLP, the footage is recorded, then commented on. The player is usually quite familiar with the game and plays it as efficiently as possible, going out of their way to show off interesting aspects of the game for the viewers. The general idea is to be as informative as possible. The play sessions are timed to ensure that the finished videos will fit properly into an episodic format, and the whole thing is all very orderly and controlled.

Blind streams like this one, are the exact opposite. Rather than showcase player knowledge, they capture the player reaction to the game, be it joy or fury. Instead of being carefully timed they run as long as the player and the player's comrades are willing to put up with the game. The tricks, glitches, and secrets are stumbled across rather than intentional triggered. The whole thing is much more an invitation to join the player on a chaotic and haphazard journey of discovery than it is a guided tour.

Bearing that in mind, I tried my best to take the content recorded on the streams, and hit a midpoint between information and madness in the thread. I chopped the stream sessions into much shorter videos so the viewer could digest them more easily, and wrote detailed notes with the posts summarizing and explaining what happened in the video and why. My goal was to make it so someone could read the thread and get a feel for the whole experience even if watching a bunch of nerds argue with eachother over how to solve some HORRIBLY BROKEN physics puzzles wasn't their idea of a good time.

Looking back on the whole, thing, I'm pretty happy with it!

How can I do better?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post

How can I do better?
I'm pretty happy with it, too! I didn't have time to watch all the videos, but the summaries helped fill in the gaps for the ones I couldn't watch and increased my enjoyment of the ones I did. They also served as good teasers, making me more likely to watch them on the whole.

In short, a big thumbs up on those summaries from me. Much better than the standard "in this episode, we do X" one-liner.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
So I'm looking for feedback on my now-complete Let's Stream Bad Rats.

In a standard VLP, the footage is recorded, then commented on. The player is usually quite familiar with the game and plays it as efficiently as possible, going out of their way to show off interesting aspects of the game for the viewers. The general idea is to be as informative as possible. The play sessions are timed to ensure that the finished videos will fit properly into an episodic format, and the whole thing is all very orderly and controlled.

Blind streams like this one, are the exact opposite. Rather than showcase player knowledge, they capture the player reaction to the game, be it joy or fury. Instead of being carefully timed they run as long as the player and the player's comrades are willing to put up with the game. The tricks, glitches, and secrets are stumbled across rather than intentional triggered. The whole thing is much more an invitation to join the player on a chaotic and haphazard journey of discovery than it is a guided tour.

Bearing that in mind, I tried my best to take the content recorded on the streams, and hit a midpoint between information and madness in the thread. I chopped the stream sessions into much shorter videos so the viewer could digest them more easily, and wrote detailed notes with the posts summarizing and explaining what happened in the video and why. My goal was to make it so someone could read the thread and get a feel for the whole experience even if watching a bunch of nerds argue with eachother over how to solve some HORRIBLY BROKEN physics puzzles wasn't their idea of a good time.

How can I do better?
As someone who rarely if ever has time for video LPs, I found the summaries great at pointing out the high points of the videos. The timestamps of interesting events especially are appreciated -- it's nice to be able to go directly to an interesting part and hear the insanity without having to clear half an hour off my schedule.

So, I guess, keep it up?
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM

I took your advice to heart RE: Timestamps for my Goat Simulator LP!

Instead of having a very specific counter with timestamps, every update now has a highlights listing, giving the specific times at which things I found interesting or funny occur in the video. The "Of Note" section as seen in my bad rats LP got turned into "General" which is things that I want to comment on that don't really happen at any specific time. Hopefully this will let people catch the bits they want to see while still providing actual information on the game.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Doin' up the house

How would people here feel about a VLP of Project Gotham Racing 2? Given that some of the races in it can get on the long side, how would I go about managing that?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 PM

How long is long?
5 mins?
10 mins?
30 mins?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Doin' up the house

Around 10 for the bigger races.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:01 PM

10 mins isnt bad for a lets play video.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Doin' up the house

I'm thinking any videos I do will be 15 to 20 mins long at most, and I'll be adding subtitles, TT-requested music and maybe speeding the footage up occasionally. I ask because the long races look something like this and I hope what I've outlined here is enough to keep it interesting.

Last edited by Trar; 08-03-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 AM
GASP

Okay, so, since my Fatal Frame I let’s play I migrated from Photobucket to Imgur. I’m very happy with the change, but the old images are still hanging out on PB, and they’re giving me bandwidth warnings and cutting off my LP images every five minutes. My goal is to move the images over to Imgur and fix the LP to point to them, but that’s a daunting task – especially since when I did the LP I was apparently under the impression that I needed to include every frame of every cut scene in order to maintain integrity to the game. Or something. Bad younger self.

Is there a way to upload pics to Imgur while retaining the original file name? If I can manage to do that, I should just be able to do a find/replace on the URL and call it a day. The LP can stand as written/posted as a testament to newbie overenthusiasm.

If not… Would it be horribly wrong to cull the images down to eliminate the non-essential ones and streamline the LP? I’d leave the actual text as is.

Opinions?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
hi there

Nope, pretty certain that imgur strips the filename completely. It even overwrites the data in the image itself, meaning that if you were to save to computer, the name there would be imgur's URL string and not its original name.

I recommend removing images.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
It even overwrites the data in the image itself, meaning that if you were to save to computer, the name there would be imgur's URL string and not its original name.
<pedant> The filename information is not stored within the image itself. It's specified by the web server. </pedant>

You might try leaving the inessential images on Photobucket, since fewer images means lower bandwidth.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
<pedant> The filename information is not stored within the image itself. It's specified by the web server. </pedant>
Whoops.

I'm a dummy.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Doin' up the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trar View Post
I'm thinking videos for it that I do will be 15 to 20 mins long at most, and I'll be adding subtitles, TT-requested music and maybe speeding the footage up occasionally. I ask because the long races look something like this and I hope what I've outlined here is enough to keep it interesting.
Any opinions at all?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Love and Peace

That sounds good, except don't ask TT for music or else some people will make you do super sped-up races to the Hamster Dance song.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Doin' up the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
That sounds good, except don't ask TT for music or else some people will make you do super sped-up races to the Hamster Dance song.
I, uh, thought something like this might happen. I'd do a couple races to joke music, but honestly I'm thinking I'll ask certain people for music and select my own if I don't want to show off the game's soundtrack. I plan to put all the music on the Xbox and use the game's radio system so it'll be like an actual DJ is playing the music, which means I won't have to listen to the Hamster Dance unless I fuck up and have that as my only radio music.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 AM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
Okay, so, since my Fatal Frame I let’s play I migrated from Photobucket to Imgur. I’m very happy with the change, but the old images are still hanging out on PB, and they’re giving me bandwidth warnings and cutting off my LP images every five minutes. My goal is to move the images over to Imgur and fix the LP to point to them, but that’s a daunting task – especially since when I did the LP I was apparently under the impression that I needed to include every frame of every cut scene in order to maintain integrity to the game. Or something. Bad younger self.

Is there a way to upload pics to Imgur while retaining the original file name? If I can manage to do that, I should just be able to do a find/replace on the URL and call it a day. The LP can stand as written/posted as a testament to newbie overenthusiasm.

If not… Would it be horribly wrong to cull the images down to eliminate the non-essential ones and streamline the LP? I’d leave the actual text as is.

Opinions?

Yeah, so... I started to go through the images and then noticed some things that I don't like about the way I formatted the text, and started thinking about fixing that... and then realized that by the time I finish this the LP is going to be basically unrecognizable.

So I'm just gonna keep all of the images and let the LP stand as is, flaws and all. It'll just take forever to update all the links.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 AM

So Im a bunch of videos into my Hostile Takeover of Smiler's Crystalis Let's Play, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

One of the things I've been going out of my way to mess with is the video editing side of things. In my Bad Rats let's play, I would typically stream for as long as I could stand the game, then use youtube's editor to chop the resultant video into 15 to 20 minute chunks for posting. This time around I'm actually timing my stream periods to keep them close to that 15-20 minute area, and using each one as a stand-alone episode. Much easier for the purposes of editing!

Because this alternate system makes the editing portion so much easier, I've been able to delve deeper into using Youtube's editing tools to add a little more FLORISH to my work. It started out with simple bump cards used where I chopped out boring or bad portions. These cards are all unbelievably stupid, but I think they fit well with the kind of videos that my STREAM BROS and I make. Because I'm unwilling to spend a single dime on image editing software, they're constructed entirely using a combination of MS Paint and imgur edit tools.

Moving on, in my most recent two videos, I've experimented with onscreen text, to lend certain spoken lines by me and my cohorts a little little added impact. I really like the effect they have in the videos but I'm also acutely aware how easy it is to overdo this sort of thing so at this point it's only happening once per video. The one on the left was to highlight an easily missed thing I said at the beginning of episode 11, and on the right was to punctuate a freakout in episode 12.

I am also crude and disgusting, but you knew all that.

So should I keep messing with this stuff? Run away from the abyss and never return? I dunno man, that's why I'm looking for feedback!

I must stress though that this is all just things I'm adding in post. The core nature of my streams, IE, a bunch of people kicking back and shooting the shit as friends while someone plays a video game isn't something I plan on ever changing. If hangout, stream-style let's plays aren't something you enjoy, I really don't think I have anything for you here.

Last edited by BEAT; 09-15-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM

EDIT: haha whoops wrong thread.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Doin' up the house

Are my LP updates too long? I'll soon have an opportunity to try new methods if the length/amount of content in my updates is an issue.

I have an average length of 25-30 pictures I try to stick to, but sometimes I don't make it and sometimes I do larger updates to make up for lost time or hit a target.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Not for resale

Quote:
Are my LP updates too long? I'll soon have an opportunity to try new methods if the length/amount of content in my updates is an issue.

I have an average length of 25-30 pictures I try to stick to, but sometimes I don't make it and sometimes I do larger updates to make up for lost time or hit a target.
Generally speaking, there is no accepted limit to how many images an LP update should have. You should use as many as you feel is necessary to convey the message. Some games (anything story-heavy, and especially any RPG) are going to need more screenshots than most, and often LP authors will resort to techniques to reduce the number of screens, like including non-screencapped dialogue in italics for long story sequences (focusing on highlighting interesting moments in the conversation with the screenshots that are used).

Put it another way: my first LP I fretted if any update had 50+ images. My later LPs I thought 100 was pushing it. My most modern LPs tend to border 150 images per update, and push up to or past 200 for big ones. 25 to 30 is peanuts compared to even where I started.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:

On average an update to my LPs are 4 posts with 25 images each.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Doin' up the house

Okay, so I guess I don't have much to worry about. I think 25-50 pictures is a good size for my updates anyway, and if I ever do an RPG I will probably transcribe most of it into italics.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 AM
hi there

Or you can do what I was doing and summarize every conversation in three sentences.

I've yet to find a video game where you needed more than that, anyway.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 AM
pouty mario player

I did a recording of Yoshi's Island World 1 for giggles, via OBS and playing it on SNES9x. Captured at 60 fps and 3000 kbs.

How does it look?