The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Wait, a diamond window and a club?

What if you cut out the dragon's heart and spayed the unicorn? Or vice versa?

I look forward to seeing the results!
Ha! nice idea, but you're waaaaaaaay off. Let me just say this puzzle is bullshit. It is the most bullshit puzzle ever in a game ever forever. We've seen all the clues we need to solve it (I've even given an extra one), but still I doubt anyone will come up with the answer. It's with this puzzle that people started accusing Infocom of making their games super hard in order to sell hint books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
So the club has special Anti-F'n Wizard properties?

Maybe it can break other magic things. Like that crystal ball.

GO MAKE A SMASH!
> break sphere
What do you want to break the sphere with?

> break sphere with club
Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
So I was right about the placemat being used at a door, but it was just the wrong door. ^^;

Sharp, pointy objects were no use, but I wonder how the dragon would deal with blunt head trauma? From a club smashing into its noggin?
The sword didn't even dent the dragon; I doubt the club will fare much better. But if you want me to hit a giant fire breathing monster, than I a monster I shall hit.

Dragon Room

> hit dragon with club
The dragon is surprised and interested (for the moment).
The dragon continues to watch you carefully.

OH SHIT RUN AWAY

> s
Stone Bridge
This is the middle of a ruined but still impressive stone bridge spanning a deep chasm. Water flows far beneath. A paved path leads north into a large open space. To the south, the path leads into a misty tunnel.
The dragon follows you, out of mingled curiosity and anger.

OH GOD HE'S FOLLOWING ME TAKE THIS MONSTER YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD

> hit dragon with club
That did no damage, but he turns his smoky yellow eyes in your direction and sighs.

OH NO THE CLUB DOES NOTHING AHHHHHHHH

> s
Cool Room
The dragon follows you, out of mingled curiosity and anger.

OH GOD LORD DEAR NO

> hit dragon with sword
Dragon hide is tough as steel, but you have succeeded in annoying him a bit. He looks at you as if deciding whether or not to eat you.

WHY WONT YOU DIES!?!?!?!?!?

> w
Ice Room
This is a large hall of ancient lava, since worn smooth by the movement of a glacier. A large passage exits to the east and an upward lava tube is at the top of a jumble of fallen rocks.
A mass of ice fills the western half of the room.

As the dragon enters, he sees his reflection on the icy surface of the glacier at its western end. He becomes enraged: There is another dragon here, behind that glass, he thinks! Dragons are smart, but sometimes naive, and this one has never seen ice before. He rears up to his full height to challenge this intruder into his territory.

He roars a challenge! The intruder responds! The dragon takes a deep breath, and out of his mouth pours a massive gout of flame. It washes over the ice, which melts rapidly, sending out torrents of water and a huge cloud of steam! You manage to clamber up to a small shelf, but the dragon is terrified! A huge splash goes down his throat! There is a muffled explosion and the dragon, a puzzled expression on his face, dies. He is carried away by the water.

When the flood recedes you climb gingerly down. While no trace of the dragon can be found, the melting of the ice has revealed a passage leading west.
Your sword is no longer glowing.

Now that's how you do it. Much more impressive than if I had just killed it with my bare hands. Just call me Zork guy, dragon-slayer. All that work only scored 5 points though. Ingrates.

> w
Lava Room
This is a small room, whose walls are formed by an old lava flow. There are exits here to the east and the south.
On the floor lies a moby ruby.

I don't know what a moby ruby is, but it's worth 15 points.

> s
Volcano Bottom
You are at the bottom of a large dormant volcano. High above you light enters from the cone of the volcano. The only exit is to the north.
There is a large and extremely heavy wicker basket here. An enormous cloth bag is draped over the side and is firmly attached to the basket. A metal receptacle is fastened to the center of the basket. Dangling from the basket is a piece of braided wire.

> look at cloth
The cloth bag is part of the basket. It may be manipulated within the basket but cannot be removed.

> look in basket
You can’t look inside a basket.

> look at receptacle
The receptacle is closed.

> open receptacle
Opened.

> look in receptacle
The receptacle is empty.

Yeah, I have no idea what this thing is. I'm going to go back to the Dragon Room and see what he was guarding.

Dragon Room
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

Why is my sword glowing? The dragon's dead.

> n
Dragon’s Lair
You are in the dragon’s lair, where the rock walls are scarred by flame. A blackened doorway leads to the south.
A rotten old wooden chest is in one corner among the debris.
A beautiful young woman, wearing a dirty and bedraggled gown, sits on a rock in the corner. Her hair is unkempt and she is oblivious to your presence, almost in a trance.
Your sword has begun to glow very brightly.

> kiss princess
The princess (for she is obviously one) shakes herself awake, then notices you for the first time. She smiles. “Thank you for rescuing me from that horrid worm,” she says. “I must depart. My parents will be worried about me.” With that, she arises, looking purposefully out of the lair.

Well, this seems obvious.

> kill princess with sword
The princess screams as you approach. “Won’t someone deliver me from this awful fate?” she cries. Just in time, the Wizard of Frobozz appears, seeming to unroll himself out of nothing like a window shade. “Fry!” he intones, and a massive bolt of lightning reduces you to a pile of smoking ashes. (Serves you right, too, if you ask me.)

**** You have died ****

RESTORE. Let's do this right this time.

Dragon’s Lair
The Princess looks about the room, but her eyes fix on the south.
The princess walks south. She glances back at you as she goes.

> s
Dragon Room
There is a dishevelled and slightly unkempt princess here.
The princess walks east. She glances back at you as she goes.

> e
End of Ledge
A ledge from the east ends here, and a tunnel leads north into the wall. There is a rather odd smokey odor in the warm air of the tunnel.

> e
Ledge in Ravine
The princess climbs daintily down the rock face.

> d
Deep Ford
A huge dead dragon is lying half blocking the stream.
The princess walks south. She glances back at you as she goes.

> s
Marble Hall
The princess presses a loose piece of marble in the wall and a large section of the wall slides away, revealing a passage to the east. She enters it.

> e
Path Near Stream

> e
Formal Garden
The princess walks north. She glances back at you as she goes.

> n
North End of Garden
The princess enters the gazebo.

> enter gazebo
Gazebo
Shyly, a unicorn peeks out of the hedges. It notices the princess and seems captivated. It approaches her and bows its head as though curtseying to her. Around its neck is a red satin ribbon on which is strung a delicate gold key. The princess takes the ribbon and uses it to tie up her hair. She looks at you and then, smiling, hands you the key and a fresh rose which she plucks from the arbor. “You may have use of such a thing,” she says. “It is the least I can do for one who rescued me from a fate I dare not contemplate.” With that, she mounts the unicorn (side-saddle, of course) and rides off into the gloom.

Hey! A rose! Oh and a gold key too but whatever. Now to walk back all that way to see what was in the dragon's chest.

> n
Dragon’s Lair
A rotten old wooden chest is in one corner among the debris.

> open chest
The hinges are very rusty, but they seem to be starting to give. You can probably open it if you try again. There is something bumping around inside.

> g
The rotten wooden chest opens.
Nestled in the chest is a wrought gold statuette of a dragon.

Score! Trophy for being such an awesome dragon-slayer. The statue is worth 20 points.

Where I've Been So Far

Inventory
a Magical Elven Sword (which done glow blue sometimes)
a Trusty Lantern
a Newspaper with "funny" comic strips.
a Placemat
a Box of Matches
a Teapot
a Letter Opener
a Clay Brick
a Black String
Babe Flathead's Club
a Blue Sphere
a Gold Key
a Rose

Puzzles
a Cursed Round Room that Makes My Head Feel Funny
a Malicious and Powerful Wizard
a Dream About a Demon
a Guarded Door
an Oddly Angled Room
a Way Up a Well
a Way Up a Volcano

Treasures
a Pearl Necklace (not that kind, you perv)
a Moby Ruby (moby, not moldy)
a Gold Dragon Statue (1st place trophy for dragon-slaying)

Deaths: 4 (a dragon's dinner, a dragon's dinner except the dragon was a bush, dive into volcano, lightninged via that F'in' Wiz)

Your score would be 85 (total of 400 points).
This score gives you the rank of Novice Adventurer.

Last edited by Loki; 06-26-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Come, noble knights!

So the dragon was foolish enough to think his own reflection was another dragon? He's got the same weakness as housepets. XD

We have a key, but no obvious keyhole besides the one to the placemat door you already letter opened. I wonder if feeding the lizard door the key would unlock it?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 PM
:O

You should get in the handbasket! It is the only means of travel to hell!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Still fighting Infocom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
He roars a challenge! The intruder responds! The dragon takes a deep breath, and out of his mouth pours a massive gout of flame. It washes over the ice, which melts rapidly, sending out torrents of water and a huge cloud of steam! You manage to clamber up to a small shelf, but the dragon is terrified! A huge splash goes down his throat! There is a muffled explosion and the dragon, a puzzled expression on his face, dies. He is carried away by the water.

When the flood recedes you climb gingerly down. While no trace of the dragon can be found, the melting of the ice has revealed a passage leading west.

Now that's how you do it. Much more impressive than if I had just killed it with my bare hands. Just call me Zork guy, dragon-slayer. All that work only scored 5 points though. Ingrates.
That's... you just... but... ice... I mean ICE? Okay, lets face it, you are the man, yes you are indeed the man. *bows*

Quote:
Ha! nice idea, but you're waaaaaaaay off. Let me just say this puzzle is bullshit. It is the most bullshit puzzle ever in a game ever forever. We've seen all the clues we need to solve it (I've even given an extra one), but still I doubt anyone will come up with the answer. It's with this puzzle that people started accusing Infocom of making their games super hard in order to sell hint books.
Okay, taking a deep breath here, lets see if we can piece this together.

Odd angles, four room, diamonds in the floor and the club... starting at the room where you found the club go NE, touch the diamond, NW and touch the diamond, SW and touch the diamond and SE and touch the diamond.

If that works... I nominate this as a super bullshit puzzle, because that answer is about as American as you can get.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 PM
:O

If that works I call you a gamefaqser, SIR.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Still fighting Infocom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
If that works I call you a gamefaqser, SIR.
Believe it or not, that's not where I got this from. I've been in the IF world for years and there are some game design books that talk about this specific puzzle. They never explain how to solve it, just that one of the huge problems was how much it was stuck in American culture.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Quote:
An extra clue? I wonder if it has something to do with that F'in' Wiz, or perhaps the word "fortify".
Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
You should get in the handbasket! It is the only means of travel to hell!
>s
Volcano Bottom
You are at the bottom of a large dormant volcano. High above you light enters from the cone of the volcano. The only exit is to the north.
There is a large and extremely heavy wicker basket here. An enormous cloth bag is draped over the side and is firmly attached to the basket. A metal receptacle is fastened to the center of the basket. Dangling from the basket is a piece of braided wire.

>enter basket
You are now in the basket.

I am now in the basket. Nothing’s happening. Thanks for another crap suggestion, Nodal.

Ha, I’m just kidding. Basket with a big bag attached? I know exactly what this is. All we need is some way to get a fire going...

>i
You are carrying:
A delicate gold key
A black string
A brick
A matchbook
A newspaper
A sword
A lamp (providing light)

The only appropriate fuel I have is this newspaper, but I’d “hate” to lose that “hilarious” comic strip. What ever shall I do, I ask sarcastically.

>open receptacle
Opened.

>put newspaper in receptacle
Done.

>light match
One of the matches starts to burn.

>light newspaper with match
The newspaper burns inside the receptacle.
The cloth bag inflates as it fills with hot air.
A small label drops from the bag into the basket.
The match has gone out.

>read label
(Taken)
!! FROBOZZ MAGIC BALLOON COMPANY !!

Hello, Aviator!

To land your balloon, say LAND
Otherwise, you're on your own!

No warranty expressed or implied.

It’s a hot-air ballon of course! What else would you expect to find at the bottom of a volcano?

>z
Time passes...
The balloon rises slowly from the ground.

Volcano Core, in the basket
You are about one hundred feet above the bottom of the volcano. The top of the volcano is clearly visible here.
The cloth bag is inflated and there is a newspaper burning in the receptacle. A braided wire is dangling over the side of the basket.

Ah, to be ballooning, the oldest and most gentlemanly of the aviator’s sport. Nothing can compare to the feeling of freedom when aloft in a balloon. Normally, I would have thought that the heat from a burning newspaper wouldn’t be enough to fill the envelope with hot air, but if the balloon doesn’t know this, I’m not going to be the one to tell.

>z
Time passes...
The balloon ascends.

Volcano Near Small Ledge, in the basket
You are about two hundred feet above the volcano floor. Looming above is the rim of the volcano. There is a small ledge on the west side.
The cloth bag is inflated and there is a newspaper burning in the receptacle. A braided wire is dangling over the side of the basket.

Fist stop, small ledge.

>land
The basket comes to a stop.

Narrow Ledge, in the basket
You are on a narrow ledge within an old dormant volcano. This ledge is about halfway between the floor below and the rim above. There is an exit to the south.
On the floor is a priceless gold zorkmid (a valuable collector's item).
There is a small hook attached to the rock here. (outside the basket)

>look at zorkmid
This is a beautiful octagonal coin bearing the legends "Ten Thousand Zorkmids" and "In Frobs We Trust".

Treasure! Gimme!!!

>get out
(out of the basket)
You are on your own feet again.
You watch as the balloon slowly floats away. It seems to be ascending, due to its light load.

Oh.

Whoops.

>z
Time passes...
You watch as the balloon slowly ascends.

>z
Time passes...
You watch the balloon drift out over the rim and away on the wind.
A volcano gnome seems to walk straight out of the wall and says "I have a busy appointment schedule and little time to waste on trespassers, but for a small fee I'll show you the way out." You notice the gnome nervously glancing at his watch.

>take zorkmid
Taken.

>give zorkmid to gnome
"Thank you very much for the priceless zorkmid. I don't believe I've ever seen one as beautiful. Follow me," he says, and a door appears on the west end of the ledge. Through the door, you can see a narrow chimney sloping steeply downward. The gnome moves quickly, and disappears from sight.

By offering up a treasure we’re given an escape root. This is a fool's game though, as I think I need that balloon for other purposes still. And escape means giving up a treasure. No thanks. RESTORE.

You are about two hundred feet above the volcano floor. Looming above is the rim of the volcano. There is a small ledge on the west side.

>land

Narrow Ledge, in the basket
You are on a narrow ledge within an old dormant volcano. This ledge is about halfway between the floor below and the rim above. There is an exit to the south.
On the floor is a priceless gold zorkmid (a valuable collector's item).

Proper ballooning safety is the gentleman aviator's first priority.

>tie wire to hook
The balloon is fastened to the hook.

There, now we can get out an explore without our balloon blowing away on the... underground... volcano... wind.

>get out
(out of the basket)

>take zorkmid
Taken.

The 10,000zm coin is worth 20 points. Looks like the zorkmid has really devalued since the collapse of the Empire.

>s
Library
This must have been a large library, probably for the royal family. All of the shelves have been gnawed to pieces by unfriendly gnomes. To the north is an exit.
A handsome book, bound in green leather, sits in the center of the room.
Right beside the purple book sits a white one.
Worn and battered in one corner of the room is a blue book.
Lying in the dust, and covered with mold, is a purple book.

Books!? Reading?! pfft... fine. Maybe there’s some treasure hidden among them, and hopefully not that lousy “treasure of the mind” kind.

>look at green book
This book is written in a tongue with which I am unfamiliar.

>look at white book
It is written in an unfamiliar tongue and details the use of various magical objects, chiefly the so-called "magic wand". Apparently these devices work by pointing them at the object to be ensorcelled, and then chanting the appropriate magic words. (It's truly amazing how credulous these ancients were, isn't it?)

Magic wands work by pointing them at stuff, good thing I found this book to tell me this, or else I don’t see how I would ever know.

>look at blue book
This book is written in a tongue with which I am unfamiliar.

>look at purple book
This book is written in a tongue with which I am unfamiliar. Assuming that one can indeed tell a book by its cover, it is likely filled with purple prose, the like of which is rarely seen outside the Great Underground Empire.

I quite like that purple prose joke, but this is an example of a fairly bullshit puzzle. I can look at the books and determine I can’t read them. One assumes this means that I opened the books. Nope. I have to tell the game to actually look inside them. I can easily see someone assuming they checked the books throughly and move on. But no, the correct solution is to:

>read purple book
(Taken)
This book is written in a tongue with which I am unfamiliar. Assuming that one can indeed tell a book by its cover, it is likely filled with purple prose, the like of which is rarely seen outside the Great Underground Empire.
Opening the purple book reveals a Flathead stamp.

>look at stamp
This three zorkmid stamp bears a portrait of Lord Dimwit Flathead, "Our Excessive Leader".

Coins and stamps? This small ledge on the inside of a volcano is a collector’s dream! The stamp is worth 10 points, 50 if the portrait had been upside down.

>n
Narrow Ledge
There is a large and extremely heavy wicker basket here. An enormous cloth bag attached to the basket is inflated. A metal receptacle is fastened to the center of the basket. In it is a burning newspaper. A piece of wire tied to a hook holds the balloon in place.

>get in balloon

>untie wire
The wire falls off of the hook.

>z
Time passes...
The balloon leaves the ledge.

And we’re aloft! The prudent balloonist would now return to the ground, satisfied with a day’s rich adventure. But not me, I must go higher! Push the limits! There’s treasure in them skies! (Also, I might be able to escape this cavern and find my way back to the white house and the riches I stashed there...)

>z
Time passes...
The balloon ascends.

Volcano by Viewing Ledge, in the basket
You are high above the floor of the volcano. The rim of the volcano looks very narrow and you are very near it. To the east is what appears to be a viewing ledge, too thin to land on.

That thin ledge is the Volcano View that I reached earlier from the Lava Tube. Nothing over there. Higher!

>z
Time passes...
The balloon ascends.

Volcano Near Wide Ledge, in the basket
You are near the rim of the volcano. Above you it is open to the sky. To the west, there is a place to land on a wide ledge.

>land

Wide Ledge, in the basket
You are on a wide ledge high in the volcano. The rim of the volcano is about 200 feet above and there is a precipitous drop to the bottom. There is a small door to the south.

>tie wire to hook
The balloon is fastened to the hook.

>get out
(out of the basket)

>s
Dusty Room
You are in a dusty old room which is featureless, except for an exit on the north side.
Imbedded in the far wall is a rusty box. It appears to be somewhat damaged, since an oblong hole has been chipped out of the front of it.

Who would build a safe in a featureless room in the side of a volcano? Someone who had something they wanted to keep very secure.

>open box
The box is rusted and will not open.

>look at hole
The oblong hole has been chipped out of the box, probably by someone wanting whatever is inside the box. The attempt was a pathetic failure, however.

So we have a hole into this safe, but it’s not big enough to get access into the safe. If only we had a way to blow this open...

Hmmm... blow... open... I wonder...

>light match

>light brick with match
Now you've done it. It seems that the brick has other properties than weight, namely the ability to blow you to smithereens.

**** You have died ****

I was right! That squishy claw brick was actually a wad of plastic explosive. And all it took was blowing off my head to find out! RESTORE.

>put brick in hole
Done.

With that done we just need a way to delay the explosion so that I don’t get blow’d up along with the safe.

>put string in brick
Done.

That should do it.

>light match

>light string with match
The string starts to burn.
The match has gone out.

>n
Wide Ledge
There is a large and extremely heavy wicker basket here. An enormous cloth bag attached to the basket is inflated. A metal receptacle is fastened to the center of the basket. In it is a burning newspaper. A piece of wire tied to a hook holds the balloon in place.
There is an explosion nearby.

>s
Dusty Room
You are in a dusty old room which is featureless, except for an exit on the north side.
On the far wall is a rusty box, whose door has been blown off.
The room is cluttered with debris from an explosion. The walls seem ready to collapse.
The excessively gaudy crown of Lord Dimwit Flathead is here.
The box contains:
A card

Dimwit’s crown! I knew whatever was in that safe would be worth all the trouble.

Oh, and a card too.

>read card
(Taken)
Warning:
This room was constructed over very weak rock strata. Detonation of explosives in this room is strictly prohibited!
Frobozz Magic Cave Company
per M. Agrippa, foreman

Huh. What do you know?

>take crown
You are now wearing the gaudy crown.

I like how taking the crown automatically assumes you want to wear it, because of course you do. Donning the crown nets 20 points. I’m sure that card was just a bit of government safety mongering. You know, protect them from lawsuits and all that. It’s not like there’s any real chance of a cave-in. Now, if you’ll accuse me, I’ve got some imaginary decrees to proclaim.

>z
Time passes...
The room trembles and 5000 tons of rock fall on you, turning you into a pancake.

**** You have died ****

That’s King Pancake to you, plebeian. RESTORE.

>take crown

>n
Wide Ledge

>z
Time passes...
You may recall that recent explosion. Probably as a result of it, you hear an ominous rumbling, as if a nearby room had collapsed.

That takes care of that, back to my tyrannical rule.

>z
Time passes...
The force of the recent explosion has caused the ledge to collapse.

**** You have died ****

Hmm... maybe I should stop wasting time playing King and see about my own safety. RESTORE.

>take crown

>n
Wide Ledge

>get in basket

>untie wire
You may recall that recent explosion. Probably as a result of it, you hear an ominous rumbling, as if a nearby room had collapsed.

>z
Time passes...
The Wizard appears, floating nonchalantly in the air beside you. He grins sideways at you.
The Wizard draws forth his wand and waves it in your direction. It begins to glow with a faint blue glow.
The Wizard, in a deep and resonant voice, speaks the word "Float!" He cackles gleefully.
You rise majestically out of the basket, coming to a stop about five feet above it and to one side.

Oh, RNG, you are a cruel mistress. I’ve never had this happen before. You guys should feel lucky.

>z
Time passes...
You watch as the balloon slowly floats away. It seems to be ascending, due to its light load.

Sighhhhhhhhh... you f’in wiz.

>z
Time passes...
You watch the balloon drift out over the rim and away on the wind.

And there goes my ticket out of this dump. Guess there’s nothing left to do but float here until the inevitable.

>z
Time passes...
As the spell wears off, you find yourself making a half-gainer towards the bottom of the volcano.

**** You have died ****

Let’s try that again and hope the Wizard doesn’t decide to randomly kill us.

>take crown

>n
Wide Ledge

>get in basket

>untie wire

>z
Time passes...

Alright, now up and out...

And to freedom!

>z
Time passes...
The balloon floats majestically out of the volcano, revealing a breathtaking view of a wooded river valley surrounded by impassable mountains. In a clearing stands a white house. You drift into high winds, which carry you towards the snow-capped peaks. Oh, no! You crash into the jagged cliffs of the Flathead Mountains!

**** You have died ****

Sweet, sweet tantalizing freedom. There’ no hope getting out this way. I guess we’ll just have to keep exploring the caves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
You should try climbing random trees in the forest to get a better look around, or failing that to possibly hijack a passing hot air balloon.
And so, two and half years later, Brickroad’s request is finally fulfilled (kinda). RESTORE.

>take crown

>n
Wide Ledge

>get in basket

>untie wire

We need to go down before we’re swept up and out and into a mountain. Best (and safest) way to do this would be to remove the heat.

>close receptacle
Closed.

The cloth bag is inflated and some smoke is leaking out of the closed receptacle. A braided wire is dangling over the side of the basket.

>z
Time passes...
The balloon descends.

Volcano by Viewing Ledge, in the basket
The cloth bag is inflated and some smoke is leaking out of the closed receptacle. A braided wire is dangling over the side of the basket.

>z
Time passes...
The ledge collapses. (That was a narrow escape!)

Not so narrow as I had to die what? Four times to make it off safely?

>z
Time passes...
The balloon descends.

>z
Time passes...
The balloon descends.

Volcano Core, in the basket

>z
Time passes...
The balloon has landed.

Volcano Bottom, in the basket

>get out
(out of the basket)

And so we’ve survived our volcano ballooning adventures no worse for wear and a considerable amount richer. Next time we’ll explore that oddly-angled room that Foxeris cheated to solve.

Where I’ve Been So Far

Inventory
a Trusty Lantern
a Placemat
a Box of Matches
a Teapot
a Letter Opener
Babe Flathead's Club
a Blue Sphere
a Gold Key
a Rose

Puzzles
a Dream About a Demon
a Guarded Door
an Oddly Angled Room
a Way Up a Well

Treasures
a 10,000zm coin
a 3zm stamp
Lord Dimwit Flathead’s crown

Deaths: 9 (a dragon's dinner, a dragon's dinner except the dragon was a bush, dove into volcano, lightninged via that F'in' Wiz, exploded my face, caught in a cave collapse, fell off a crumbling ledge, a fatal float spell, tasted sweet freedom and the bitter taste of balloon crash)

Your score would be 135 (total of 400 points)
This score gives you the rank of Novice Adventurer.

Last edited by Loki; 06-27-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Kills Thousands

Oh my god Loki, you brought back the best LP.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Still fighting Infocom

Quote:
There is an explosion nearby.

Bad. Ass.

No, I have nothing more to say, there is no need.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
#deadfish2017

>nw
Oddly-angled Room
This is a room with oddly angled walls and passages in all directions. The walls are made of some glassy substance.
On the floor is a very small diamond shaped window which is flickering dimly.

Alright, we’re back at the window where we found the club. Foxeris suggested circling the windows in a counter-clockwise fashion, touching them as we went around.

>nw
Oddly-angled Room
This is a room with oddly angled walls and passages in all directions. The walls are made of some glassy substance.
A long wooden club lies on the ground near the diamond-shaped window. The club is curiously burned at the thick end.

>ne
Oddly-angled Room

>touch window
Fiddling with the diamond shaped window has no effect.

>nw
Oddly-angled Room
On the floor is a very small diamond shaped window which is dark.

>touch window
Fiddling with the diamond shaped window isn't notably helpful.

>sw
There is no way to go in that direction.

That didn’t work. But something interesting to note was that the windows were glowing as I moved up until I turned nw, then they went dark. Maybe Foxeris’ orientation was off. Let’s make our way back to the first window, or “home” for easy reference, and try a different set of directions.

Oddly-angled Room

>se
Oddly-angled Room
On the floor is a very small diamond shaped window which is dimly glowing.

>ne
Oddly-angled Room
On the floor is a very small diamond shaped window which is glowing.

This window isn’t just dimly illuminated like the rest. It’s positively glowing!

>nw
Oddly-angled Room
On the floor is a very small diamond shaped window which is glowing brightly.

Glowing brightly! This looks promising!

>sw
You hear a strange rusty squeal echoing in the distance.
Oddly-angled Room
On the floor is a very small diamond shaped window which is glowing serenely.

Back home and it sounds like a door opened somewhere. Foxeris’ cheating worked! This wasn’t an “oddly-angled room” at all, it was just a stupid baseball diamond. Not that I would know what that is, being a Quendorian and all. And thus we have the puzzle that launched a thousand complaints. The room is impossible to map, there’s more than just 4 windows. If you take the baseball bat (and indeed that’s what it is) you’ll never be able to find “home” again. The logical leap that you have to run the bases isn’t sufficiently clued and even then the layout of the “field” isn’t oriented to the north. So even if you do figure it out you might try running the wrong way and come to the conclusion your idea was wrong. The worst kind of puzzle all around. And solving it only scores 5 points.

>s
Oddly-angled Room
A marble stairway leads upward. The floor has swung down at the end of the stairway to reveal a secret passage leading down into unrelieved darkness.

Returning to the stairs we discover that a new passage has opened. And Swordy here is telling us that something is down there. We’ll, there’s no choice but to plunge in. Maybe it’ll be another sexy princess.

>d
Cerberus Room
This is the entrance to a huge crypt or tomb. A marble stairway leads up from a gateway arch.
There is a vicious-looking dog guarding the entrance. It is more or less your usual dog, except that it has three heads and is the size of an elephant.

I had a dog just like it as a kid, more or less. And what do you know! 10 points, just for coming down here.

>look at cerberus
The three-headed dog snaps at you viciously!

Woah! Bad dog! Don’t make me put you down.

>e
The huge dog snaps nastily at you.

Alright, pup. That’s it.

>g
The dog-thing snaps at you viciously, and succeeds. Your head, it seems, is only a small mouthful for the poor animal, who is just as hungry afterward.

**** You have died ****

Hm. Maybe kindness will sooth this beast. RESTORE.

>pet cerberus

>kiss cerberus

Alright, fine!

>light match

>light cerberus with match
The match has gone out.

That’s it, I’m out of ideas. I guess until we find something to tame this dog we can’t get any further this way. There’s one place yet I haven’t been too. There was a passage leading west from the dragon’s room. I make my way back through the Carousel Room (heruk!) and up to the dragon’s den.

>w
Fresco Room
A path leads east-west through a room decorated with beautiful frescoes of someone battling dragons and rescuing fair maidens. It is hard to tell who is doing this as those parts of the frescoes have been blackened and cracked by intense heat.

Was it me? I bet it was me.

>look at frescoes
I don't know the word "frescoes".

Ah, early IF, you are a constant joy.

>w
Bank Entrance
This is the entrance hall of the Bank of Zork, the largest banking institution of the Great Underground Empire. A partial account of its history is in "The Lives of the Twelve Flatheads," in the chapter on J. Pierpont Flathead. A more detailed history (albeit less objective) may be found in Flathead's outrageous autobiography "I'm Rich and You Aren't - So There!". Most of the furniture has been ravaged by passing scavengers. All that remains are two signs at the northwest and northeast corners of the room, which say

<-- VIEWING ROOMS -->

The way out (ornate but tasteful) is to the east.

Wow, the great Bank of Zork. Many a lowly peasant was downtrodden from these very offices! This place is a historical landmark... and filled to the brim with treasure, I’m sure! This is the infamous Bank of Zork puzzle. It’s often cited as being just as difficult as the Oddly-Angled Room. But the Bank is actually solvable on its own and makes perfect sense once you wrap your head around it. It’s actually pretty simple once you get the twist, like a good puzzle should be. Okay, there’s two viewing rooms to choose from. Kai lords faceless adventurers always go east.

>ne
East Teller's Room
You are in a small room, which was used by a bank officer who retrieved safety deposit boxes for the customer. On the north side of the room is a sign which reads "Viewing Room". On the east side of the room, above an open door, is a sign reading

BANK PERSONNEL ONLY

Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow

Hm... the sword’s glowing but I don’t see any bank personnel around. Just to be safe, let’s mind the sign and check out that viewing room.

>n
East Viewing Room
This room was used by holders of safety deposit boxes to view their contents. On the north side of the room is a sign which says

"Remain here while the teller retrieves your safety deposit box. When you are finished, leave the box, and exit to the south. Safety deposit boxes cannot be removed from this room!

Thank You for Banking at the Zork!"

Heck! There isn’t any teller here to get a safety box for me, which... I guess is a good thing. I don’t think they’d be to happy with me claiming what isn’t mine. I suppose I’ll just have to throw caution to the wind and go into the employee’s only area. (I feel like such a rebel.)

>s
Bank Entrance

>ne
East Teller's Room

>e
Safety Depository
This is a large rectangular room. The east and west walls were used for storing safety deposit boxes, but all have been carefully removed by evil persons. To the east, west, and south of the room are large doorways. The northern "wall" of the room is a shimmering curtain of light. In the center of the room is a large stone cube, about 10 feet on a side. Engraved on the side of the cube is some lettering.
On the ground is a small, worn piece of paper.

Cleaned out. I should have known it. But I’m not giving up yet. This was a bank, there’s got to be something in here that common thieves couldn’t get ahold of. Plus, that curtain of light has certainly roused my interest.

>look at curtain
There's nothing special about the shimmering curtain of light.

Not enough to study it in any great detail though. It’s a curtain of light, you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all.

>read cube
Bank of Zork
VAULT
*722 GUE*
Frobozz Magic Vault Company

>enter cube
You hit your head against the large stone cube as you attempt this feat.

Hey, don’t judge. It was worth a shot! (owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

>read paper
(Taken)
The paper is barely readable. You can only make out "... valuables are completely safe ... advanced magic technology ... impossible to take valuables from the depository ... either teller's ... Many customers faint ... teller pops in ... seems to walk through ... walls ..."

So there’s got to be some valuables left! I bet they’re in that vault. But how to get in? Maybe...

>walk through curtain
You feel somewhat disoriented as you pass through...

East Viewing Room

Woah! How’d I end up back here? The curtain must be some sort of transportation magic. Interesting....

>s
Bank Entrance

Let’s try going the other way this time and see if we can find anything useful.

>nw
West Teller's Room
You are in a small room, which was used by a bank officer who retrieved safety deposit boxes for the customer. On the north side of the room is a sign which reads "Viewing Room". On the west side of the room, above an open door, is a sign reading

BANK PERSONNEL ONLY

>w
Safety Depository

So the west and east sides of the bank mirror each other...

West Viewing Room
This room was used by holders of safety deposit boxes to view their contents. On the north side of the room is a sign which says

"Remain here while the teller retrieves your safety deposit box. When you are finished, leave the box, and exit to the south. Safety deposit boxes cannot be removed from this room!

Thank You for Banking at the Zork!"

But wait, when I walked through the curtain this time I ended up in the west viewing room, not the east. How did it know?

>s
Bank Entrance

>nw
West Teller's Room

>w
Safety Depository

There’s that door to the south too. I haven’t tried it yet.

>s
Chairman's Office
This room was the office of the Chairman of the Bank of Zork. Like the other rooms here, it has been extensively vandalized. The lone exit is to the north.
A portrait of J. Pierpont Flathead hangs on the wall.

Completely vandalized, except for this big painting of a famous historical figure! I bet it’s worth a pretty zm or two (but is it art?).

>take portrait
Taken.

I was right! The portrait was worth 20 points!

>n
Safety Depository

>w
An alarm rings briefly, and an invisible force bars your way.

That’s a fine kettle of fish. Who would have guess that a bank had an alarm system. Luckily, they had this magical transport curtain installed for enterprising thieves like me.

>walk through curtain

Small Room
This is a small, bare room with no distinguishing features. There are no exits from this room.

What? What?! I was supposed to end up in the viewing room!

>w
You can't go that way.

>s
You can't go that way.

>e
You can't go that way.

>n
You can't go that way.

>u
You can't go that way.

>d
You can't go that way.

Aaaah! Help! HELP!

>scream for help
Time passes...
You hear a faint voice say "Curtain Door Closed."

What!? What does that mean?!?

>claw at the walls
Time passes...
An epicene gnome of Zurich wearing a three-piece suit and carrying a safety deposit box materializes in the room. "You seem to have forgotten to deposit your valuables," he says, tapping the lid of the box impatiently. "We don't usually allow customers to use the boxes here, but we can make this ONE exception, I suppose..." He looks askance at you over his wire-rimmed bifocals.

Oh thank god. Apparently this gnome of Zurich ((funny pun or racist allusion? You decide!)) will help me out if I give him a treasure. Uhhh...

>give bank brochure to gnome
"I wouldn't put THAT in a safety deposit box," remarks the gnome with disdain, tossing it over his shoulder, where it disappears with an understated "pop".

Hey! What if I needed that? Fine.

>give portrait to gnome
The gnome carefully places the portrait of J. Pierpont Flathead in the deposit box. "Let me show you the way out," he says, making it clear he will be pleased to see the last of you. Then, you are momentarily disoriented, and when you recover you are back at the Bank Entrance.
Bank Entrance

Phew! I’ve faced trolls, grues, giant bats, demons, and the threat of mummies but none of them was as scary as being trapped in a featureless box with no exit. Damn gnome. If you have to give up a treasure here or to get off the small ledge if you didn’t tie down the balloon it doesn’t put the game in an un-winnable state. You just don’t need that particular treasure later on, but I’d like to finish with all of them. So... RESTORE!

>s
Chairman's Office
This room was the office of the Chairman of the Bank of Zork. Like the other rooms here, it has been extensively vandalized. The lone exit is to the north.
A portrait of J. Pierpont Flathead hangs on the wall.

>take portrait
Taken.

Alright, got the picture back. Let’s just leave it here for now until I can figure out how to get it out.

>n
Safety Depository

>drop portrait
Dropped.

Let’s think about this. Here’s a sketch of what the layout of the bank looks like.

When I came into the depository from the East Teller’s Room the curtain took me to the East Viewing Room. And when I came in from the West Tellers Room the curtain took me to the West Viewing Room. Could it be that the curtain changes depending on which way I entered the Depository? Is that why when I entered from the Office it took me to the small room? If this theory is correct, I may have thought of a way to escape with the portrait.

>w
West Teller's Room

>w
Safety Depository
On the ground is a small, worn piece of paper.
The portrait of J. Pierpont Flathead is here.

>take portrait
Taken.

>walk through curtain

West Viewing Room

It worked! By simply alternating the way I entered the Depository gave me a clear escape. That’s... kinda a huge fault in the design of this security system. I guess the management thought that since the alarm would prevent anyone from leaving east or west with a treasure no-one would think to drop the treasure and then come back, resetting the curtain.

But there’s still the matter of the vault. How do I get in there? When I entered the small room I heard a voice say something about the curtain door closing? Could that have something to do with it? I wonder... could it be that there’s an exit from the Small Room after all? The “curtain door” if you will? Maybe the curtain isn’t as one-way as I assumed. As much as I hate to do so, I’m going back to the Small Room.

>s
Bank Entrance

>nw
West Teller's Room

>w
Safety Depository

>s
Chairman's Office

>n
Safety Depository

>walk through curtain

Small Room
This is a small, bare room with no distinguishing features. There are no exits from this room.

Okay, going north into the Depository brought me into the Small Room, so based on what I know of how the curtain works, I think I can assume the small room is located somewhere north of the Depository. Which would make the exit...

>s
You can't go that way.

>walk through curtain
You can't see any curtain here!

Right, I can’t see it. But...

>walk through south wall

Safety Depository

AHA! The curtain was two-way! You just can only see it from one side. And now I’ve entered the Depository from the north which means the curtain has set to a new location.

>walk through curtain

Vault
This is the Vault of the Bank of Zork, in which there are no doors.
On the floor sit 200 neatly stacked zorkmid bills.

Brilliant! I knew there had to be a way in.

>look at bills
Each bill is worth 100 zorkmids, and bears the legend "In Frobs We Trust".

>take bills
Taken.

I’m 20,000zm and 25 points richer. And assuming the Vault works the same way the Small Room did...

>walk through north wall

Safety Depository

Now we just have to reset the curtain and we’re home free!

>drop bills
Dropped.

>w
West Teller's Room

>w
Safety Depository
200 neatly stacked zorkmid bills are here.

>take bills
Taken.

>walk through curtain

West Viewing Room

>s
Bank Entrance

Ladies and gentlemen, we successfully robbed a magical bank.

Where I’ve Been So Far

Inventory
a Trusty Lantern
a Placemat
a Box of Matches
a Teapot
a Letter Opener
Babe Flathead's Club
a Blue Sphere
a Gold Key
a Rose
a bank brochure

Puzzles
a Dream About a Demon
a Guarded Door
a Way Up a Well
a Nasty three-headed problem

Treasures
a 10,000zm coin
a 3zm stamp (sadly facing the right way up)
a portrait of J. Pierpont Flathead (finance’s greatest tyrant)
20,000zm in unmarked bills

Deaths: 10 (a dragon's dinner, a dragon's dinner except the dragon was a bush, dove into volcano, lightninged via that F'in' Wiz, exploded my face, caught in a cave collapse, fell off a crumbling ledge, a fatal float spell, tasted sweet freedom and the bitter taste of balloon crash, dog decapitated)

Your score would be 195 (total of 400 points)
This score gives you the rank of Junior Adventurer.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Mystery Contraption

You have a club, which is like a stick, but bigger (and... moreso). And you have Cerberus, who is likea dog but bigger (and... moreso).

Play Fetch with Cerberus!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 PM
#deadfish2017

That club was a baseball bat, which you would have picked up on if you had been paying attention.

And Cebreuses don't play baseball.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
That club was a baseball bat, which you would have picked up on if you had been paying attention.

And Cebreuses don't play baseball.
They still play fetch! And baseball bats are still cudgels, you BARBARIAN!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Still fighting Infocom

Quote:

Back home and it sounds like a door opened somewhere. Foxeris’ cheating worked! This wasn’t an “oddly-angled room” at all, it was just a stupid baseball diamond. Not that I would know what that is, being a Quendorian and all. And thus we have the puzzle that launched a thousand complaints. The room is impossible to map, there’s more than just 4 windows. If you take the baseball bat (and indeed that’s what it is) you’ll never be able to find “home” again. The logical leap that you have to run the bases isn’t sufficiently clued and even then the layout of the “field” isn’t oriented to the north. So even if you do figure it out you might try running the wrong way and come to the conclusion your idea was wrong. The worst kind of puzzle all around. And solving it only scores 5 points.
The worst part was, I was only taking a random guess trying to limit myself just to the clues in the game (the baseball bat did kind of clue me in). Even so, what a crazy broken puzzle.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Come, noble knights!

Okay, let's see here...You obviously don't have the strength of Heracles, so how about trying to sing Cerberus to sleep? It'd probably work better if you had an instrument of some kind, but it's just a thought.

If that doesn't work, maybe that rose has some toxins that'll knock his tri-headed ass to the floor if you feed it to him?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 AM

As a member of the Circle of Enchanters, I think I know a few things about magic wells. Specifically, the fact that the buckets in such wells will automatically rise when filled with water. So try getting some water and pouring it in the bucket, ideally while already sitting in it so you can ride it up.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Obtuse Ham

Try giving the lizard the key/Blue Sphere to open the guarded door.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Level 2 Member

Is this one on hold while you're doing Beyond Zork?

Because Kahran's suggestion seems quite good. Especially if this:

is what's left of "Frobozz MAGIC WELL Company"
Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
#deadfish2017

Yeah I totes was going to finish this before Beyond Zork.

Hahaha... yeah.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Eldritch Horror

All the other Frobozz Magic _____ Company items were voice activated, pehaps it's the same with the well?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:36 PM

Smile

Hello!

Since this thread hasn't been updated for more than 4 years, I'm taking over and continue this LP under Loki and Falselogic's permission. I've played to the exact same point where Loki left, but the placement of items are different. I've put every treasures in Guarded room and every other items in my belonging or in Carousel Room for a reason. I'll try to follow Loki's style, but I'm not him so expect some differences.
Now probably we should tuckle the puzzle of bucket in Circular Room (or I should call it "Magic well" since it is already apparent.) Actually this is the only puzzle we can handle at this point in the game. Anyone has an idea how to operate this DA*N bucket?
Since this thread has been dormant for 4 years, I'll wait several days until people come back to this thread.

Current situation is as follows:

Circular Room
This is a damp circular room, whose walls are made of brick and mortar. The roof of this room is not visible, but there appear to be some etchings on the walls. There is a passageway to the west.
There is a wooden bucket here, 3 feet in diameter and 3 feet high.

>i
You are carrying:
A sword
A perfect rose
A china teapot
A blue crystal sphere
A lamp (providing light)

(Other items are in Carousel Room and treasures in Guarded Room)

Puzzles
a Dream About a Demon
a Guarded Door
a Way Up a Well
a Nasty three-headed problem

Treasures
a Pearl Necklace
a Moby Ruby
a Gold Dragon Statue
a 10,000zm coin
a 3zm stamp
a portrait of J. Pierpont Flathead
20,000zm in unmarked bills

Deaths: 10 (a dragon's dinner, a dragon's dinner except the dragon was a bush, dove into volcano, lightninged via that F'in' Wiz, exploded my face, caught in a cave collapse, fell off a crumbling ledge, a fatal float spell, tasted sweet freedom and the bitter taste of balloon crash, dog decapitated)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:55 PM

Some talks about Zork II while waiting for replies...

Zork II, being one of the earliest Infocom works, contain many shortcomings from the viewpoint of interactive fiction players today. Aside from stupid parser which causes critical misbehavior for the player too many times, there are so many timed puzzles which you must solve in very short time or you are stuck forever, forcing you to RESTORE, and many of the puzzles are insufficiently clued, have misleading clues, or just downright unfair, add to it those many annoyances like the F-ing wizard and the crazy spinning Carousel, I wonder how many players lost their hair plucking his head.
Still, there are many good point in the game, some puzzles are brilliant and clever, and the atmosphere on once-great underground empire is astounding, so I (and many players surely) like it after all regardless of those complaints.
There are many irritating puzzles and funny moments awaiting in the game, but I'll mention it when we come to that in the game.

Speaking of the Oddly-angled room or baseball puzzle, when I first played Zork II, I've figured the club is baseball bat and I was expected to run through the 1st, 2nd, 3rd base and back to home, but I couldn't figure "which way to the 1st base?" so I had no choice other than to turn to Invisiclues.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Holy Swine

I've beaten this but I can't remember what the solutions are!

CLIMB IN BUCKET seems to be the obvious course of action.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:33 AM

Wink

Following Loki's style, game output is shown bold, in-character comment is black, and my comment is in blue.

I come to myself...
Well if feels...strange...
I feel as if I have been doing nothing for 4 years...
But it can't be...There's no way I've been here for such long time doing nothing...
anyway, time to continue my quest for the wealth!

Let's try Gerad's suggestion.

>climb in bucket
You are now in the wooden bucket.

>l
Circular Room, in the wooden bucket
This is a damp circular room, whose walls are made of brick and mortar. The roof of this room is not visible, but there appear to be some etchings on the walls. There is a passageway to the west.

Very simple and easily done but it doesn't get me anywhere by itself.
How can I make this bucket raise?

I wait for several days more before advancing the game myself, for others to give suggestions.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 AM

Unhappy

Some more talk while waiting...

Let's see an example of how the stupid parser of Zork II can cause deadly misbehavior. Back to the Volcano area and at the strong box...

>l
Dusty Room
Imbedded in the far wall is a rusty box. It appears to be somewhat damaged, since an oblong hole has been chipped out of the front of it.

>put brick in hole
Done.

>put string in brick
Done.

>light match

>light string
(Taken)
The string starts to burn.
The match has gone out.

>put string in brick
Done.
Now you've done it. It seems that the brick has other properties than weight, namely the ability to blow you to smithereens.

**** You have died ****

See? Even though you've put the string in the brick, when you light a match then try to light the string with the match, the game automatically takes the string before lighting it! And when you put the string back to the brick, too late. You must type "light string with match" to avoid it, somehow it works well.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Holy Swine

Buckets want water, right? Maybe find some water, use the teapot to get it, pour it in the bucket?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 AM
#deadfish2017

Put Andy's sweatshirt in the bucket and send it up to Troy.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:56 PM

As for the Angled room... Let's see, a club, sports, and diamonds??? Baseball comes to mind!
Old 11-07-2015, 06:40 PM

Smile

Well, about the time to continue.
Some suggested pouring water in the bucket. After all it is a well isn't it? The only place in the game we can find water is...

Deep Ford
A huge dead dragon is lying half blocking the stream.

>fill teapot with water
The teapot is now full of water.

>i
You are carrying:
A sword
A perfect rose
A china teapot
The china teapot contains:
A quantity of water
A blue crystal sphere
A lamp (providing light)

Back to the Circular Room (passing that crazy Carousel Room)

Circular Room
There is a wooden bucket here, 3 feet in diameter and 3 feet high.

>climb into bucket
You are now in the wooden bucket.

>pour water in bucket
There is now a puddle in the bottom of the wooden bucket.
The bucket rises and comes to a stop.

Top of Well, in the wooden bucket
You are at the top of the well. Well done. There are etchings on the side of the well. There is a small crack across the floor at the entrance to a room on the east, but it can be crossed easily.
The wooden bucket contains:
A quantity of water

It worked! I'm a mere treasure hunter not magician and I hate magic generally, but this magic well is too convinient!

"Well done" - pun intended?

Actucall this is one of the illogical puzzles in the game the bucket is described "3 feet in diameter", quite huge. And a china teapot holds, at most, less than 1 liter of water. It is hardly logical to think that little amount of water in a huge bucket is enough to activate the magic well. It's just like the hot-air balloon in the Volcano area floats by burning newspaper. If you think logically, you preclude that kind of ideas since they are "illogical", yet you must think that way in the game.

Anyway, let's see the new area.

>read etchings
o b o
r z
f M A G I C z
c W E L L y
o n
m p a

So it is surely a magic well! "Frobozz MAGIC WELL company"

Sorry this description is messed up in the post, but it displays correct in the actual game to read "Frobozz MAGIC WELL company"

>examine crack
It is a small crack (as advertised) with no redeeming value.

>e
Tea Room
This is a small room containing a large oblong table, no doubt set for afternoon tea. It is clear from the objects on the table that the users were indeed mad. In the eastern corner of the room is a small hole (no more than four inches high). There are passageways leading away to the west and the northwest.
There is a large oblong table here.
Sitting on the large oblong table is:
A cake frosted with green letters
A cake frosted with red letters
A cake frosted with orange letters
A cake frosted with blue letters

Cakes? Why on the earth there are cakes here? Every treasure hunters know the cake is a lie! (oops, wrong game)

>examine cake
Which cake do you mean, the cake frosted with green letters, the cake frosted with red letters, the cake frosted with orange letters, or the cake frosted with blue letters?

>examine green cake
The icing spells out "Eat Me."

>examine red cake
There's nothing special about the cake frosted with red letters.

>examine orange cake
There's nothing special about the cake frosted with orange letters.

>examine blue cake
There's nothing special about the cake frosted with blue letters.

Hmm...these cakes (or green cake only?) beckons me to eat it... But I don't feel like eating something I've found in such place, It must be poisoned.
Probably I should check the east area first.

>e
Only a mouse could get in there.

Ah, too small hole?

>examine hole
The hole is very small. You could never enter it.

What to do now?

Tags
infocom , zork