The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Pulling the weed here makes [Return to Zork] unwinnable.
Nope. It's possible to get another. The whole thing is still pretty annoying, I agree, but that's RtZ for ya.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
#deadfish2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,868
Default

How? Where?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 934
Default

Eat the dead one, then go back to the Mountain Pass.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Sky Render's Avatar
Sky Render Sky Render is offline
Not for resale
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,966
Default

Due to this LP, I decided to return to Beyond Zork, and discovered something rather unnerving: the last big puzzle of the game is effectively unsolvable in the Lost Treasures of Infocom version! Not only does the logical solution not work, but no other solution works either! Unless there's a hidden step that's not been mentioned by any guide writer for the last 23 years, I'm going to have to declare the LToI version borked beyond repair.

Edit: It turns out it was a programming oversight. There are two entrances to the last area, and only one of them works for the final puzzle.

Last edited by Sky Render; 09-16-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Lightbulb How to Hit a Monster and Live

This thread got me wondering exactly how the stats and combat in Beyond Zork work. So naturally, I disassembled the game file and went investigating. In case anyone else is curious, here's a bit of what I found:

Part 1: Adventurer Chooses Strategy
You always get the first combat turn. When a monster moves to your location or you move to a monster's, it will probably do something threatening, but can't actually touch you the same turn.

When near a hostile monster, there are four sensible options, not counting the use of Magicks or clever "puzzle solutions".
  1. ATTACK or HIT the monster
  2. THRUST or LUNGE at the monster
  3. PARRY the monster's attack
  4. Run away!
If you use the verb THRUST or LUNGE, you are more likely to score a hit than with ATTACK or HIT, but you overextend and the monster is more likely to hit you back. Most other combat verbs (SLASH, SWING, STAB, etc.) probably fall in the ATTACK category.

If you PARRY, you don't hit at all, but take a moment to catch your breath and make it very difficult for most monsters to hit you.

And finally, don't underestimate the wisdom of running away. Many monsters will follow you until you leave their home area, but they can't attack while chasing you.

It's worth noting that an adventurer regains Endurance lost in a fight almost every turn, but monsters rarely regain HP while an adventurer is in sight. This means PARRY isn't entirely useless. I haven't worked out the exact details of when the two types of regeneration do and don't happen.

Part 2: Adventurer Swings at Monster
Assuming of course, the adventurer chose an aggressive option for this turn. Sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss.

If the monster is stunned, or if the verb is THRUST or LUNGE, chance to hit is 95%.

For an ordinary attack, the percent chance ToHit is calculated from DeXterity and LucK:
Code:
ToHit = max(DX, 50);
ToHit += (LK * (95-ToHit) / 100);
(The division step rounds down, as in many computer languages.)
It's rare to get DX far over 50 in this game, so for practical purposes, that's
Code:
ToHit = 50 + (LK*45/100);
So Gladstone's basic attack hit rate is an astounding 72%. That's the good news.

Part 3: Adventurer Hits Monster
If you missed, too bad. If you hit, the monster loses some HP. The damage is always at least one and at least STrength/5. Your maximum damage is determined by ST and weapon POWer.
Code:
Damage = random(ST); // rand. num. from 1 to ST
Damage += max(LK * Damage / 100, 1);
if (Damage > ST) Damage = ST;
Damage = (WeaponPOW * Damage + 99) / 100;
if (Damage < ST/5)
  Damage = ST/5;
else if (!WeaponWielded)
  Damage = max(Damage/2, ST/5);
For Gladstone, no matter which weapon he uses (or doesn't!), this works out to Damage = 1. That's the bad news. Until he can do something about those wimpy muscles, our hero can only give monsters one point physical damage per turn.

But the above is just physical damage. In addition, [spoiler] can add some bonus [spoiler]-type damage to a weapon attack.

(Hints: Gladstone already has access to this source of bonus damage. Anybody who has won the game has used this trick, but might not have realized the full possibilities. I know I didn't.)

You can tell whether or not the monster is almost beat by the game's description of the blow. If the ratio of your total damage to the monster's remaining HP is:
  • 0 <= ratio < 20% : Your weapon "dangerously wounds" the monster
  • 20% <= ratio < 40% : "gravely wounds"
  • 40% <= ratio < 60% : "seriously wounds"
  • 60% <= ratio < 80% : "noticeably wounds"
  • 80% <= ratio < 100% : "slightly wounds"
  • ratio >= 100% : You get a "decisive blow" and battle ends.
Yes, the first five are backwards. The same subroutine is used to describe a monster's appearance based on the ratio of its HP to max HP, "slightly wounded" to "dangerously wounded". But there's a missing (100-x) or something. Whoops.

So "dangerously wounds" means you're not doing much. If you get "noticeably" or "slightly", it may be time to risk a Thrust.

Part 3: Monster Swipes at Adventurer
If the monster still has positive HP and is not stunned, it will probably fight back. If the adventurer parried this turn, most monsters have a 12% chance of hitting. After a standard attack, typical monster hit rates are from 65% to 70%. After a thrust attack, monster hit rates are from around 80% to around 90%.

The monster's chance to hit is based only on the adventurer's stance and constant per-monster stats. Which means that I could write out the algorithm here, but it's easier and probably more readable to just make an appendix table.

Part 4: Monster Hurts Adventurer. Ow.
Each monster has a certain maximum damage it can inflict. An adventurer's Armor Class can reduce that maximum; then a random number from 1 to that modified maximum is the actual damage.
Code:
Damage = (MaxDmg(Monster) * (99-AC) + 99) / 100;
if (Damage < 2)
  Damage = 1;
else
  Damage = random(Damage);
Appendices (Low-Spoiler Version)

Weapons which are fairly easy to find*:
Code:
Weapon        POW  WGT
------        ---  ---
punch/kick      1    -
rusty dagger   30    2
shillelagh     40    5
dagger         60    2
battleaxe      75    7
longsword      85    7
Armor which is fairly easy to find*:
Code:
Armor          AC  WGT
-----          --  ---
cloak           5    3
leather tunic  10    3
scale mail     20    3
plate mail     60   10
*Easy to find does not imply easy to get.

Finally, all monsters you can engage in combat and/or get XP from. Since we haven't seen any monsters yet, I removed any spaces and punctuation from the name by which the game calls each monster and then rot13-ed it. So you can look them up as they appear later. Or if you already know Beyond Zork or you just like your spoilers fresh, go ahead and decode them all.

After the monster is the eXperience Points you get for defeating it, its chance to hit after a Parry, Attack, and Thrust, its maximum DAMage (to an adventurer with no armor), and its number of Hit Points. An asterisk (*) means there's something special about that monster's behavior.
Code:
NAME            XP   P   A   T DAM  HP
----            --  --  --  -- ---  --
engnag           5  12  63  77   6   6
qvfpvcyvarpeno   5  12  63  77   7   7
fxryrgba         3   *   *   *   *   0
ryqevgpuincbe    9  12  65  81   5   6
thggrefavcr      7  12  65  81  10  12
tvnagfcvqre      7  12  68  86  10  12
fyht             7  12  63  77  10  11
qhfgohaavrf     10   *   *   *   *   *
inthrbhgyvar    10   *   *   *   *   *
qbea            20  12  57  64 *25 100
pebpbqvyr       20  12  68  86  16  20
oybbqjbez       20  12  65  81  16  20
zbgureuhathf     0  12  75  92  16  30
zbaxrltevaqre   25 100 100 100  16 100
pehrychccrg     25  12  68  86  20  30
uryyubhaq       25  12  65  81  30  40
tubhy           25  12  65  81  30  36
haqrnqjneevbe   25  12  65  81  30  36
fabjjvtug       30  12  65  81  30  36
fgrcynqqre      20  67  67  67   *  16
oynpxpng        20  67  67  67   *  16
ahzoreguvegrra  20  67  67  67   *  16
hzoeryyn        20  67  67  67   *  16
yhexvatcerfrapr 30  12  75  92  99  99
funqbj          50   *   *   *   *   *
Adventurers level up (and get increased ENdurance) when the total XP they have collected is at least 9, 29, 59, 99, 149, 209, 279, or 359.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
#deadfish2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,868
Default

Wow, thanks Schep. I had no idea about any of this, but it clears some things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schep View Post
  1. ATTACK or HIT the monster
  2. THRUST or LUNGE at the monster
  3. PARRY the monster's attack
  4. Run away!
If you use the verb THRUST or LUNGE, you are more likely to score a hit than with ATTACK or HIT, but you overextend and the monster is more likely to hit you back. Most other combat verbs (SLASH, SWING, STAB, etc.) probably fall in the ATTACK category.

If you PARRY, you don't hit at all, but take a moment to catch your breath and make it very difficult for most monsters to hit you.
For example, I never knew this was a thing. I've heard some people say that thrusting is more accurate than simply attacking but I always thought that was just their imaginations interpreting the data wrong and assuming there was a difference. I'm kinda shocked this is a real thing. And who even knew about parry? Both parry and thrust are mentioned in the manual but not in any context that would imply they have special characteristics beyond "attack."

Quote:
Part 3: Adventurer Hits Monster
If you missed, too bad. If you hit, the monster loses some HP. The damage is always at least one and at least STrength/5. Your maximum damage is determined by ST and weapon POWer.
Code:
Damage = random(ST); // rand. num. from 1 to ST
Damage += max(LK * Damage / 100, 1);
if (Damage > ST) Damage = ST;
Damage = (WeaponPOW * Damage + 99) / 100;
if (Damage < ST/5)
  Damage = ST/5;
else if (!WeaponWielded)
  Damage = max(Damage/2, ST/5);
For Gladstone, no matter which weapon he uses (or doesn't!), this works out to Damage = 1. That's the bad news. Until he can do something about those wimpy muscles, our hero can only give monsters one point physical damage per turn.
Ha! I assumed as much, and this explains why one of my stratagies did fuck all.

Quote:
But the above is just physical damage. In addition, [spoiler] can add some bonus [spoiler]-type damage to a weapon attack.

(Hints: Gladstone already has access to this source of bonus damage. Anybody who has won the game has used this trick, but might not have realized the full possibilities. I know I didn't.)
You're talking about the rug? Yeah, I plan to show off some rug-abuse post-game. It will unbearably exciting.

Quote:
You can tell whether or not the monster is almost beat by the game's description of the blow. If the ratio of your total damage to the monster's remaining HP is:
  • 0 <= ratio < 20% : Your weapon "dangerously wounds" the monster
  • 20% <= ratio < 40% : "gravely wounds"
  • 40% <= ratio < 60% : "seriously wounds"
  • 60% <= ratio < 80% : "noticeably wounds"
  • 80% <= ratio < 100% : "slightly wounds"
  • ratio >= 100% : You get a "decisive blow" and battle ends.
Yes, the first five are backwards. The same subroutine is used to describe a monster's appearance based on the ratio of its HP to max HP, "slightly wounded" to "dangerously wounded". But there's a missing (100-x) or something. Whoops.
Facinating! This little error led me to believe I was actually getting somewhere with the Eldritch Vapor for so long when in reality I was just spinning my wheels.

Thanks for digging this all up. It revealed a side of BZork I'd never seen before.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,410
Default

Now Loki has seen all the sides, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-18-2011, 04:14 PM
DreamRedux's Avatar
DreamRedux DreamRedux is offline
What, YOU again?
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 230
Default

Ah, the Large Onion makes an early appearance!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
WarriorOfFrobozz's Avatar
WarriorOfFrobozz WarriorOfFrobozz is offline
Eldritch Horror
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schep View Post
This thread got me wondering exactly how the stats and combat in Beyond Zork work. So naturally, I disassembled the game file and went investigating. In case anyone else is curious, here's a bit of what I found:
You, sir, need to write strategy guides. Also I vote you name the club Dagger, and then name the dagger Club
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Hello all. Loki has graciously let me climb into the driver's seat, so let's get started again, shall we? First off, there were some votes on names.

>name club "Ishmael"
You invoke the Spell of Naming, and the shillelagh basks in the glow of a new-forged synonym. Henceforth, you may refer to it as "Ishmael."

>wield Ishmael
You wield Ishmael.


Half of WarriorOfFrobozz's suggestion was outvoted, but I can still try...

>name dagger "club"
A hollow voice says, "Fool!" That Name is reserved by the Implementors. Choose another!"


Just as well. That probably would have ended up crashing the universe or something.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, the Kitchen.

Kitchen
Coils of greasy steam rise from a cauldron bubbling over a roaring hearth. The ceiling is hung with crusty pots and strips of old meat.
An open door in the corner reveals a stair leading downward.
A skinny old cook is bustling around the kitchen.
There's a giant onion here.

>d

You start toward the stair, but find yourself saving instead.

>save
You mumble the Spell of Saving.
Enter a file name.

[SAVE completed.]

>d
You clump down the stairway.

Wine Cellar
You're standing at the bottom of a short, rickety stairway, ankle-deep in refuse. Light streams down through an open door overhead.
A crinkly scroll lies trampled in the dust.
A rat-ant scurries in from the northeast passage!


Hey, free stuff lying around!

>take scroll
Taken.
The rat-ant's teeth barely miss your ankle.


Man, the vermin are mean.

>hit rat-ant
[with Ishmael]
Ishmael dangerously wounds the rat-ant.
The rat-ant misses you again, but just barely.

>again
[with Ishmael]
Ishmael gravely wounds the rat-ant.
The rat-ant closes in with its sharp teeth!
[Your endurance just went down.]

>again
[with Ishmael]
Ishmael gravely wounds the rat-ant.
The rat-ant feints to one side, teeth snapping.

>again
[with Ishmael]
Ishmael gravely wounds the rat-ant.
The rat-ant gives you a nasty bite!
[Your endurance just went down.]


Uh oh, one point from death. Time to run for it.

>up
Bang! An unseen hand slams the cellar door in your face.

Darkness
You hear the snap of a substantial lock.

Oh. That's not good.
Something bites you!
[Your endurance just went down.]
Your last ounce of endurance gives out.

Death
You are dead.

Do you want to restore a previously saved game, restart from the beginning, or quit?


So that's two puzzles in this beginner's quest:
  1. Don't be eaten by the game's weakest enemy.
  2. Escape the locked pantry.
Let's try again, but focus on seeing more instead of fighting. Lucky thing you SAVED.

>restore
Enter a file name.

[RESTORE completed.]

Kitchen

>turn on lamp
Click. The rusty lantern emits a feeble glow.

>d
You clump down the stairway.

Wine Cellar
You're standing at the bottom of a short, rickety stairway, ankle-deep in refuse. Light streams down through an open door overhead.
A crinkly scroll lies trampled in the dust.

>get scroll
Taken.
A rat-ant scurries in from the west passage!


Each "dungeon" area is randomly generated when you first enter it. So this time the evil rat-ant comes from a different direction that wasn't even on the map last time.

>read scroll
The meaning of the crinkly scroll is obscure. It seems to have something to do with refreshment. Strange, flowing runes are inscribed across the top; you could probably understand them if you'd studied harder at school.
The rat-ant's teeth barely miss your ankle.

>s
Throne Room
A shallow nest of sea shells, coral and other bits of ocean debris lies in the corner.
A discipline crab is skulking in the corner.
The rat-ant scurries in from the north passage!
The discipline crab's antennae snap to alert as you enter. He rises from the nest of seashells and charges across the floor, claws snapping with anticipation!


Oh boy, two enemies at once!

>w
Musty Corridor
The lighted lantern's glow reveals a gray patch of moss on the wall.
The rat-ant scurries in from the east passage!

>x moss
The moss is sickly gray, glistening with moisture.
The rat-ant closes in with its sharp teeth!
[Your endurance just went down.]

>se
Bottom of Stack
Empty wine crates are stacked to the ceiling in a stairlike spiral.
The rat-ant scurries in from the northwest passage!

>u
You teeter uncertainly on the lowest crates, lose your balance, and sprawl to the ground. Not very coordinated, are you?


Well, no. You mean I can't just get a LUCKY escape?

>n
Throne Room
The rat-ant scurries in from the south passage!
The discipline crab whirls to face you!

>nw
Shadowy Stacks
Precarious stacks of barrels loom in the shadows on every side.
A skeleton lies at your feet. An amulet dangles from its neck.
The rat-ant scurries in from the southeast passage!


That doesn't look cursed or ominous or anything.

>take amulet
You reach down to touch the amulet...
Snap! Ten bony fingers clamp around your throat!
[Your endurance just went down.]


Whoops!

>scream
It's not easy to speak while you're being strangled to death.


Oh crud!

>hit skeleton
[with Ishmael]
With a sigh of exhaustion, the heap of bones releases its strangle hold and crumbles into a useless heap of bones.
[Your experience just went up.]

YES!!
The rat-ant closes in with its sharp teeth!
[Your endurance just went down.]
Your last ounce of endurance gives out.

NO!!

Death
You are dead.

Do you want to restore a previously saved game, restart from the beginning, or quit?


That's all the rooms in the basement dungeon. To save unnecessary frustration: Going down from the Kitchen is a lose unless Gladstone first gets some better stats or useful escape magic.

Next time, we'll get back to exploring the clip art diagram.

I mean MAP. Exploring the map. Yeah, sorry, can't keep up the high art quality. Anyway, other places to wander into are more dangerous, but less likely to get anybody locked in the basement.

In the meantime, toss in your suggestions for things to try doing. If they involve something in the bar basement, I'll be able to play them through the magic of Save and Restore, even though Gladstone doesn't have any way out of there yet.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,486
Default

D-Discipline Crab?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 AM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
D-Discipline Crab?
Oh yeah, I forgot:


No need to say more. (Or I hope not, cause I've got nothing to say.)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,486
Default

It's a little crab... with a little crown...

I...

I...



I AM SO HAPPY!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Sky Render's Avatar
Sky Render Sky Render is offline
Not for resale
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,966
Default

Zork has the best monsters.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
#deadfish2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,868
Default

What the christ is this!?!

I'm j/k schep. Good luck. I'm sorry I let it go. I had a big (big!) update typed up months ago and the computer froze and I was pissed and then I said fuck it I'm too busy anyways.

It's weird seeing someone else pick up your LP but I'm happy to see it continued.

Quote:
Zork has the best monsters.
Yes it does, and Beyond Zork has some of the best of the lot. They're a big reason this is my favorite Zork game.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 AM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
It's weird seeing someone else pick up your LP but I'm happy to see it continued.
Please do chime in to point out things I missed or skipped, or stuff like that. (Or an illustration would always be extra awesome.)

Time to leave the basement of death behind and see where your webbed feet may take you. First, let's check on equipment.

>i
You're carrying Ishmael the shillelagh (wielded), a rusty dagger, a rusty
lantern and a limp weed.
You're wearing a pack.
You have 1 zorkmid.
A financial nymph appears on your keyboard. "By the way, you can check the amount of cash you're holding at any time with the CASH command. Or, just type a $ followed by [RETURN]. Bye!"
She disappears with a wink.


Little-known fact: many nymphs enjoy smashing the fourth wall to smithereens.

>e. e. s
The Rusty Lantern
A bearskin rug is lying across the floor.

Outside Pub

Moor's Edge
A gray scrim of mist lies across the southern moors, obscuring the path only a few steps away. The outskirts of a village can be seen not far to the north.

>s
Odors
Gray wraiths of mist linger among the reeds, filling your nostrils with the odor of things long dead.
The mist thins out a bit to the north.
The end of a stave sticks out of the mud.


Apparently walking into the mist puts you inside the limits of another zone with a randomly generated map, wandering monsters, and best of all, stuff lying on the ground.

>take stave
Taken.


Yoink.

>w
Eyes
Silent, unblinking eyes peer down at you from the fog-shrouded trees.

>sw
Noises
A cacophony of peeps, hoots and croaks sets your nerves on edge.
A fresh wind blows from a new direction.


Though it's hard to convey in this LP, the minimap and/or status window always shows the obvious possible exits. I'm not just picking directions at random here. Also, isn't it neat they implemented a pleasant wind just for atmosphere? It's not like that sort of thing would likely be involved in a puzzle later.

>s
Mud Flats
Narrow paths wander off between pools of black, fetid mud. The damp chill in the air is making you shiver.
An eldritch vapor is wafting amid the reeds.
The eldritch vapor giggles when it sees you.

>x vapor
He appears to be in excellent condition.
A marketing nymph appears on your keyboard. "You'll find a drawing of the eldritch vapor in your Beyond Zork package. Bye!"
She disappears with a wink.



And here we have the monster least likely to kill Gladstone with a single hit. It can, but only if it maxes its attack roll, and only if it makes an attack roll to begin with. It's just as likely to do something annoying instead.

Giggling with glee, the eldritch vapor snatches your stave and spirits it away!

Like that.

>se
Deep Mist
Spooky fingers of mist swirl around your feet. It's hard to see more than a few yards in any direction.
The mist thins out a bit to the southwest.
A pterodactyl is hobbling around in slow, painful circles. One of its wings is pierced by an arrow. A whistle hangs on a chain around its skinny neck.
The eldritch vapor is waiting for you.
Some luckless fool has left a clear potion in the mud.
There's a stave here.
The pterodactyl snaps at you with its beak.
The eldritch vapor giggles when it sees you.

>take potion and stave
The clear potion: Taken.
The stave: Taken.
Cackling with mischief, the eldritch vapor snatches your stave and spirits it away!


I hope this "game" doesn't stretch on too long.

>x pterodactyl
The pterodactyl appears to be wounded. There's a whistle hung around his neck.
The pterodactyl screeches pitifully.
The eldritch vapor coalesces out of the surrounding mist. "Boo!"

>e
The eldritch vapor blocks your path!
Sniggering maliciously, the eldritch vapor snatches your clear potion and spirits it away!


Oh, not again.

>e
Gasses
Your feet make wet, sucking noises as you trudge across patches of rotting vegetable matter. An unwholesome miasma of gasses is making your head swim.
A rumpled scroll lies trodden in the mud.
There's a stave here.

>take scroll and stave
The rumpled scroll: Taken.
The stave: Taken.


And the Gasses "room" is a dead end. Back to the west.

>w
Deep Mist
The pterodactyl flutters its good wing back and forth.


That whistle around the dino's neck looks useful.

>take whistle
The wounded pterodactyl hobbles out of your reach.


Hmm, not so easy. Well, the southwest looks like it heads out of this section. But I wonder if the vapor left that potion nearby.

>nw
Mud Flats

>n
Noises
The eldritch vapor coalesces out of the surrounding mist. "Nyeah, nyeah!"


Nuts. Retreat!

>s
Mud Flats
The eldritch vapor coalesces out of the surrounding mist. "Woo-woo-woo!"

>se
Deep Mist
The pterodactyl cries out with pain.
The eldritch vapor coalesces out of the surrounding mist. "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!"

>sw
Bluffs
Circling gulls and a forest of masts disclose a seaport not far to the west. The view to the northeast is obscured by a blanket of mist.


So, made it out with a new stave and scroll. Do I really need that potion?

...

Yes.

(Many many turns later...)

>i
You're carrying Ishmael the shillelagh (wielded), a clear potion, a stave, a rumpled scroll, a rusty dagger, a rusty lantern and a limp weed.
You're wearing a pack.
You have 1 zorkmid.


Victory! On into town.

>w
Mizniaport
Mizniaport is a magnet for the wealthy yipples of Borphee, who browse the colorful shops in search of next year's fashions.
An especially swank boutique stands just north of here. Beside it, a path marked "Private Way" bends northeast.

>ne
Private Way
This shady nook obviously belongs to some well-to-do yipple. The arborvitaes are lush and neatly trimmed, with twin beds of flowers leading up to a little red stablehouse.
The wind changes direction again.

>n
Stablehouse
Not a straw is out of place in this immaculate stablehouse. The one closed stall is occupied by a snow-white unicorn, who gazes at you mournfully from between the slats. You can also see a saddle inside.
An old horseshoe lies forgotten in the corner.


Looking up 'Unicorn' in The Lore and Legends of Quendor:


>take horseshoe
Your hands are full.
The unicorn whinnies sadly.


Ah, inventory management. A pointless annoyance in every game that tries to enforce it (except Help the Hero).

>put scroll and stave and potion and weed in pack
The rumpled scroll: Done.
The stave: Done.
The clear potion: Done.
The limp weed: Done.


Yeah, I'll probably skip pasting this sort of thing in the future.

>take horseshoe
Taken.

>x unicorn
She's just a pony.

>take saddle
You can't reach into the stall. It's closed.
The unicorn whinnies sadly.

>open stall
The stall seems to be locked.
The unicorn whinnies sadly.


Guess that's it for here.

>s
The unicorn whinnies pitifully as you leave.

Private Way

>sw
Mizniaport

>n
The door is closed.


But then how will you get into the shop?

>open door
You open the door.


Aha! That's using your IQ:01 attribute, Gladstone!

>n
Boutique
The sheer, flowing fabrics and gossamer pastels in this little shop create an atmosphere of taste and calm conducive to reckless spending.
A glass display case near the open door offers the latest in travel fashions. Another exit is partly concealed by a curtain.
An old woman is eyeing you curiously.


Let's see what she's got.

>x case
The interior of the glass display case is lined with shelves, upon which you see a cloak, a leather tunic, scale mail and plate mail.
The old woman dusts off the items in the display case.

>ask woman about cloak
"A fine example of elvish tailoring. 'Tis said a potent virtue is woven into the cloth. Yours for only 30 zorkmids."

>ask woman about tunic
"Oh, that. Last week's fashion, I'm afraid. A rare bargain at 20 zorkmids."

>ask woman about scale mail
"Good basic protection. Not too bulky, not too expensive. I'd part with it for 60 zorkmids."

>ask woman about plate mail
"The last word in protection," states the old woman flatly. "That stuff'll turn aside anything short of a grue's fangs. For you, just 200 zorkmids."


Now, what was that special financial nymph command from the start of this update?

>cash
You have 1 zorkmid.


Yeah, that.

We've gathered a few new objects, seen a few new creatures and a few new puzzles. So time to turn it over for suggestions, helpful, inane, and otherwise. There's also plenty more exploring to be done.

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 0 Male Peasant
EN:05 ST:01 DX:01 IQ:01 CM:08 LK:50 AC:01


Inventory:
Ishmael the shillelagh (wielded)
an old horseshoe
a rusty dagger
a rusty lantern
a pack (worn)
- a limp weed (spenseweed)
- a clear potion
- a stave
- a rumpled scroll
1 zorkmid

Puzzles:
  • Become competent at combat.
  • Dangerous lightning storms in the Fields of Frotzen.
  • Find a way out of the pub basement.
  • A wounded pterodactyl.
  • A locked stable stall with a unicorn and saddle inside.
  • Get more cash.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Sky Render's Avatar
Sky Render Sky Render is offline
Not for resale
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,966
Default

When in doubt, head to the next town! I'm sure there's no dungeons between this place and the next town. That'd just be mean!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
DreamRedux's Avatar
DreamRedux DreamRedux is offline
What, YOU again?
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 230
Default

Use Ishmael to beat the lock off the stable door? Will that spook the unicorn?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
When in doubt, head to the next town! I'm sure there's no dungeons between this place and the next town. That'd just be mean!
Actually, we're not quite done with this town. But sure thing. In a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRedux View Post
Use Ishmael to beat the lock off the stable door? Will that spook the unicorn?
>hit door with Ishmael
Wham! Ishmael deals the gate a mighty blow, with little effect except for the noise.
The unicorn slowly shakes her head.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 934
Default

See if you can kiss the unicorn's horn. After all, luck is always useful.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran042 View Post
See if you can kiss the unicorn's horn. After all, luck is always useful.
>kiss unicorn's horn
The unicorn backs away; but not before you touch her horn with your lips.
[Your luck just went up.]

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 0 Male Peasant
EN:05 ST:01 DX:01 IQ:01 CM:08 LK:65 AC:01


Nice, +15 LK. Your stats are even more ridiculous than before. Would the game let you do it again?

>kiss unicorn's horn
The unicorn backs away.
The unicorn whinnies sadly.


Nope, no exploitable bug there.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 40,486
Default

Kissing the horn makes you luckier.

...so what does giving the unicorn itself some sexy-makeouts entail?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Kissing the horn makes you luckier.

...so what does giving the unicorn itself some sexy-makeouts entail?
Gladstone is struck by love. Was there ever a creature so beautiful as this shy unicorn?

>kiss unicorn
There's no point in doing that.


But alas, you know society would never accept the love of a duck and unicorn. Such a cruel world, that stops romance before it even begins.

>s
The unicorn whinnies pitifully as you leave.


I know, Sweet Eyes. I know.

Private Way
You feel the wind changing direction.

>sw. n
Mizniaport

Boutique
An old woman is watching every move you make.

>l
Boutique
The sheer, flowing fabrics and gossamer pastels in this little shop create an atmosphere of taste and calm conducive to reckless spending.
A glass display case near the open door offers the latest in travel fashions. Another exit is partly concealed by a curtain.
An old woman is eyeing you curiously.


Wonder what she's got in the back room?

>l behind curtain
As you approach the curtain, the shop subtly rearranges itself until you find yourself facing the other way. The old woman watches you with wry amusement.


Strange. What else is there to do in this town?

>s. w
"See you later," calls the old woman as you leave.

Mizniaport

Skyway Entrance
Aggressive ad campaigns and the deregulation of ZIFMIA spells have made Miznia's Jungle Skyway the fifth biggest tourist attraction in the Southlands. Passengers are crowding for a space in the gondola docked nearby.
The gondola glides to a halt at the loading dock.
"All off," calls the conductor as the hatch swings open. "Thank you for riding the Miznia Jungle Skyway. Please exit the Skycar in an orderly manner."


Naturally, when you book a vacation with a Quendorian travel agency, it involves paying an enchanter to zifmia you. The ride's free, so why not?

>x skycar
A decal on the side says, "Frobozz Magic Gondola Company."
The last few passengers are shuffling out of the gondola.

>x passengers
A suspicious passenger returns your stare.
Eager passengers surge into the emptied gondola. "All aboard, please," announces the conductor unnecessarily.

>enter gondola
You shove your way into the gondola.

Skyway Entrance, in the gondola
Aggressive ad campaigns and the deregulation of ZIFMIA spells have made Miznia's Jungle Skyway the fifth biggest tourist attraction in the Southlands. Passengers are crowding for a space in the gondola.
"Stay clear of the door, please," calls the conductor as the last few passengers squeeze into the gondola.
The wind changes direction again.

>x conductor
His face is sallow with boredom.
The gondola slides away from the dock and glides west, high over the jungle.
"Welcome to the Miznia Jungle Skyway." drawls the conductor, his voice heavy with boredom.
Over Jungle, in the gondola
Your gondola is gliding west, high over the lush jungles and sparkling rivers of Miznia. The loading dock is receding into the haze.

>x dock
Little can be seen from here.
The gondola glides over the jungle, towards a tall support tower.
"The jungles of Miznia are the spawning grounds of the deadly bloodworm," drones the conductor. "Often mistaken for a mossy boulder, the bloodworm's fangs extend up to 32 inches during an attack."
"Oooh," murmurs the crowd.

>x jungle
The jungle stretches off in every direction.
The gondola is gliding just a few feet from the top of the support tower.
"The tower to your right is one of several erected to elevate the Skyway abovve the treetops," explains the conductor. "Before the Skyway opened in 882 GUE, an average of twenty Miznia Jungle Train passengers died of wormbite each year."
The crowd giggles nervously.
Beside Tower, in the gondola
Your gondola is passing a few feet away from a Skyway support tower. A small maintenance platform is enclosed within the steel girders; beside it, you notice a skinny ladder leading down towards the treetops.

>x tower
Little can be seen from here.
The gondola turns and glides south, away from the support tower.
"The jungle is a rich source of exciting stories," continues the conductor, stifling a yawn. "The most famous is the Legend of the Crocodile's Tear."
Over Jungle, in the gondola
Your gondola is gliding south, high over the lush jungles and sparkling rivers of Miznia. The support tower is receding into the haze.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola glides across the jungle.
"The Crocodile's Tear is a sapphire of extraordinary size and clarity. It was discovered by a slave working the granola mines of Antharia, who died bringing it to the surface."
Another support tower is approaching.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola is gliding just a few feet from the top of the support tower.
"After passing through many hands, including those of Thaddium Fzort" ("Bless you," mutters a passenger), "the jewel came into the possession of the evil sorceress Y'Syska, whose collection of gems and minerals is still without peer."
Beside Tower, in the gondola
Your gondola is passing a few feet away from a Skyway support tower. A small maintenance platform is enclosed within the steel girders; beside it, you notice a skinny ladder leading down towards the treetops.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola turns and glides east, away from the support tower.
"Flash photography is prohibited," growls the conductor as a passenger snaps a picture of the hazy landscape.
Over Jungle, in the gondola
Your gondola is gliding east, high over the lush jungles and sparkling rivers of Miznia. The support tower is receding into the haze.

>sleep
This is no time for that.
The gondola glides across the jungle.
"To protect the Crocodile's Tear from thieves, Y'Syska concealed it somewhere in the jungle below," concludes the conductor lamely. "There it remains to this very day, guarded by bloodworms and whatever traps the sorceress laid to confound the unwary."
Another support tower looms to the east.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola is gliding just a few feet from the top of the support tower.
"Thirsty?" asks the conductor. "Stop by the Skyway Adventure Emporium for a tall, frosty Granola Float." He smacks his lips dispiritedly. "Mmm, so good."
Beside Tower, in the gondola
Your gondola is passing a few feet away from a Skyway support tower. A small maintenance platform is enclosed within the steel girders; beside it, you notice a skinny ladder leading down towards the treetops.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola turns and glides north, away from the support tower.
"Bloodworms are not the only inhabitants of the Miznia jungle," remarks the conductor, pausing to stretch. "Survivors have reported a wide variety of birds, reptiles and other unclassifiable dangers."
Over Jungle, in the gondola
Your gondola is gliding north, high over the lush jungles and sparkling rivers of Miznia. The support tower is receding into the haze.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola glides across the jungle.
"Be sure to visit the Skyway Adventure Emporium for a thrilling selection of one-of-a-kind gift ideas," urges the conductor as the loading dock appears to the north.

>z
Time passes.
The gondola glides to a halt at the loading dock.
"All off," calls the conductor as the hatch swings open. "Thank you for riding the Miznia Jungle Skyway. Please exit the Skycar in an orderly manner."
Skyway Entrance, in the gondola
Aggressive ad campaigns and the deregulation of ZIFMIA spells have made Miznia's Jungle Skyway the fifth biggest tourist attraction in the Southlands. Passengers are streaming out of the gondola.


Well, that was a pleasant waste of time.

>e. nw
Mizniaport

Intersection
Gray fields extend to the east as far as you can see, under a sky black with thunderclouds. But the snow-capped peaks of Southern Mithicus are bright with sunshine.
The outskirts of Gurth City can be seen not far to the north.


Sky Render was right. There is no dangerous dungeon on the way to the next town. Surprised?

>e
Kerblam! Forks of lightning dance across your path, and the clouds boom with laughter.


Looks like another way to the Fields of Frotzen.

>sw
Shady Wall
The air is cool here, beneath the shadow of a towering wall of rock.


This suspiciously boring dead end seems like a good place to pause. Anything we should do before heading north to Gurth City?

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 0 Male Peasant
EN:05 ST:01 DX:01 IQ:01 CM:08 LK:65 AC:01


Inventory:
Ishmael the shillelagh (wielded)
an old horseshoe
a rusty dagger
a rusty lantern
a pack (worn)
- a limp weed (spenseweed)
- a clear potion
- a stave
- a rumpled scroll
1 zorkmid

Puzzles:
  • Become competent at combat.
  • Dangerous lightning storms in the Fields of Frotzen.
  • Find a way out of the pub basement.
  • A wounded pterodactyl.
  • A locked stable stall with a unicorn and saddle inside.
  • Get more cash.

Last edited by schep; 02-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Sky Render's Avatar
Sky Render Sky Render is offline
Not for resale
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,966
Default

May as well get dangerous! Read the instructions on that potion, then follow 'em! What's the worst that could happen?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Read the instructions on that potion, then follow 'em! What's the worst that could happen?
>x potion
A legend on the potion says, "Shake before using. Another fine product of the Frobozz Magic Potion Company."
A fresh wind blows from a new direction.

>shake potion
You give the potion a vigorous shake.

>quaff potion
Gloop, gloop, gloop! You drain the clear potion to the last drop, and the container melts into nothingness.

>z
Time passes.
Your body is flooded with an indescribable sense of well-being.
[Your endurance just went up.]
[Your strength just went up.]


>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 0 Male Peasant
EN:10 ST:06 DX:01 IQ:01 CM:08 LK:65 AC:01


Well, well. You can now probably defeat really weak monsters! You lucky duck.

Looks like that was the potion of Healing. If you use it while not injured and not magically buffed, it gives +5 Max EN and permanent +5 ST. This is probably the better use, especially for Level 0 Gladstone.

And yes, good thing you read the directions. If not used as directed, the potion wouldn't have worked at all.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Mr. J's Avatar
Mr. J Mr. J is offline
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,338
Default

I'm curious what the scroll is so I guess inspect it. We probably won't get anywhere with such an abysmal intellect stat but it's worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
I'm curious what the scroll is so I guess inspect it. We probably won't get anywhere with such an abysmal intellect stat but it's worth a look.
>x scroll
There appears to be something written on it.

>read scroll
The writing on the rumpled scroll is quite tiny. You'll have to pick it up to read it.
You feel the wind changing direction.

>take scroll
You take the rumpled scroll out of the pack.

>read it
The meaning of the rumpled scroll is obscure. It seems to have something to do with yard improvements. Strange, flowing runes are inscribed across the top; you could probably understand them if you'd studied harder at school.


Okay, enough fiddling with inventory, for the moment.

I got a pretty cool weapon and we call it a woody Ishmael -- Gurth City, here we come!

>ne. n
Intersection

The peace of the countryside is shattered as you cross the city limits.

South Market
Both sides of this busy thoroughfare are crammed with stalls. Hawkers shout and gesticulate at the passersby, their hoarse obscenities mingling with the smell of sweat and burning food.
The wind changes direction again.

>n
"Oof!"
The street hawker you just bumped into glowers. "Watch where I'm goin', will ya!" You clumsily help to pick up her spilled wares; she stomps away without a word of thanks.
As you dust yourself off, you notice something lying in the dust.

>take thing
Taken.

>x it
It looks just like the ones your aunt used to make. Bleah.


I didn't mean to go so far without showing what the new inventory item is, but this interaction amused me, so I kept it. Checking your inventory, it seems you just picked up "a fish cake".

>n
North Market
This is the safer end of Gurth City's notorious market district. Shop windows are mostly unbroken here, and the cobblestones don't stick to your shoes.
The gabled facade of Ye Olde Magick Shoppe lends an air of ersatz charm to the west side of the street.

>w
The door is closed.


Ooh, I know this one!

>open door
As you open the door, a concealed bell tinkles merrily.

>w
Magick Shoppe
A lone black candle obscures the proportions of this windowless shop. The scent of tallow is strong, heightening the aura of arcane mystery.
Your eyes are irresistibly drawn to a glass display case near the open door. Another exit is partly concealed by a curtain.
An old woman is keeping an eye on you.


Another curtain in a shop. What are the chances...

>enter curtain
As you approach the curtain, the shop subtly rearranges itself until you find yourself facing the other way. The old woman watches you with wry amusement.


Yeah, the chances were probably pretty good that would happen.

>x case
The interior of the glass display case is lined with shelves, upon which you see a dark potion, a cloudy potion, a gray potion, a rabbit's foot and an hourglass.

>ask woman about dark potion
"Ah, yes! A potion of Forgetfulness. Hmm," mutters the old woman. "Tried one of those once; can't recall what it does. Oh, well. Yours for only 24 zorkmids."

>ask woman about cloudy potion
"That's a potion of Might. That'll put hair on your chest. A rare bargain at 24 zorkmids."

>ask woman about gray potion
"A potion of Death. Don't understand why they mix these things. I'd part with it for 24 zorkmids."


Maybe they mix them just for the lolz when some stupid adventurer picks up a potion and drinks it before finding out what it does.

>ask woman about rabbit's foot
"A charm to ward off ill luck. For you, just 5 zormkids."

>ask woman about hourglass
"A relic of ancient Pheebor," explains the old woman. "Its purpose is lost in Time. Perhaps it is part of some greater Magick. Yours for only 1000 zorkmids."


That's steep. Suppose you'll ever get that much money?

Oh well, one step at a time. What's next?

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 0 Male Peasant
EN:10 ST:06 DX:01 IQ:01 CM:08 LK:65 AC:01


Inventory:
Ishmael the shillelagh (wielded)
an old horseshoe
a rusty dagger
a rusty lantern
a pack (worn)
- a fish cake
- a rumpled scroll (something about yard improvements?)
- a limp weed (spenseweed)
- a stave
1 zorkmid

Puzzles:
  • Put your increased EN and ST to use and defeat a monster.
  • Dangerous lightning storms in the Fields of Frotzen.
  • Find a way out of the pub basement.
  • A wounded pterodactyl.
  • A locked stable stall with a unicorn and saddle inside.
  • Get more cash.
  • An unreachable curtain in each shop.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Sky Render's Avatar
Sky Render Sky Render is offline
Not for resale
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,966
Default

Running short on cash, we are! A pity, that Potion of Strength sounds enticing. Much like that dusty fish cake does not. Come to think of it, when WAS the last time Gladstone had a proper meal? Better wolf that sucker down before he dies of starvation!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 934
Default

I agree about eating the fish cake. After all, with an IQ of 1, Gladstone needs all the brain food he can get.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Running short on cash, we are! A pity, that Potion of Strength sounds enticing. Much like that dusty fish cake does not. Come to think of it, when WAS the last time Gladstone had a proper meal? Better wolf that sucker down before he dies of starvation!
>eat fish cake
With a mighty effort of will, you cram the fish cake into your mouth, chew and swallow. Bleah.

>z
Time passes.
Your forehead tingles oddly for a moment.
[Your intelligence just went up.]

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 0 Male Peasant
EN:10 ST:06 DX:01 IQ:21 CM:08 LK:65 AC:01


IQ +20! Wait, some memories from school are coming back. Good thing you took that Arcane Runes elective, even if you did flunk it.

>read rumpled scroll
The meaning of the rumpled scroll is obscure. It seems to have something to do with yard improvements. The word "Blarn" is inscribed across the top.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beyond zork , infocom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007