The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Just beginning to prep for my fist LP... I wanted to ask how many people here are familiar with the Space Quest series? and is there something you're looking for out of the LP? I'll be throwing in all the trivia I know and running perfect score games... Also considering at least for the first game, showing every possible way you could die as the real funny stuff in the game comes when you die...

Just wondering what would appeal to the TT LP crowd
Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Bug/Flying

I've never seen any of the Space Quest games before, so a thorough run would be right up my alley, trivia and all.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Bug/Flying

All righty, so: Persona 3. How's my driving? It's been a while since I've seriously worked on an LP and I think I might've gotten a little rusty over the break. Any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Just asking what people are thinking of the SQ1 LP so far? Things you like? Things you don't? Changes you'd like to see when I start the next one?

comments in thread have been kind of sparse so I'm asking here. Should I make SQ2 and 3 more interactive and ask TT what I should do?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

I think most early adventure games are generally too obtuse to really ask for reader input personally. People who've played the game have a pretty good idea of what to do, while those who haven't don't have the luxury of loading your save and messing around to find a solution. You don't even have the luxury of a limited command set like you do in later Space Quest games (or a game like Shadowgate) to narrow things along; who knows what the text parser is looking for?

Adventure games without a very good story I think are the funnest to read when you're talking about all the deaths. I think you've done a pretty good job so far, so keep at it!

- Eddie
Old 09-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Double posting because I didn't know where best to put this and to solicit more responses:

Should I do Space Quest 2 and 3 in the same thread as Space Quest 1, or is it better for each game to have its own?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Should I do Space Quest 2 and 3 in the same thread as Space Quest 1, or is it better for each game to have its own?
Same thread plz. If you want to make sure there's easy access to each, a table of contents in the first post should do.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonReel View Post
Same thread plz. If you want to make sure there's easy access to each, a table of contents in the first post should do.
Thanks! That is what I'll do then!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

I'm thinking that my FFT thread might need some spice added to the mixture. I know lots of people are reading the thing, but hardly anyone is commenting these days! I know this is probably a result of some measures I took to save myself time, but now I long for the days when people used to bicker in my thread. I miss the conflict.

Any suggestions?

- Eddie
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

That's easy. Make statements based on opinion as if they were fact. Doesn't even have to be a real opinion! Just say that behemoths are the best monster or something, someone will glom onto it and start a "debate." You want conflict? Stir it up yourself!
May not actually be good advice.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I'm thinking that my FFT thread might need some spice added to the mixture. I know lots of people are reading the thing, but hardly anyone is commenting these days!
I don't know that there's much to say right now. I feel that, between the gameplay and the plot, Chapter 2 is the game's lowest point. Maybe your thread will pick up again when the game does?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Any suggestions?

- Eddie
Actually, I been trying to restrain myself from posting too much and clogging up the thread with irrelevant chat. Also, sometimes (like right now), I don't post because I'm not sure if you're working on doing a new post right after your existing one, the look better without extra junk between them. Keep it up man, it's the best thread on TT (of course FFT is my favroite game of all time, but you do it justice)!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Actually, I been trying to restrain myself from posting too much and clogging up the thread with irrelevant chat.
This. I tend not to post much in the LPs I keep up with as it is, but the FFT thread in particular is so well-presented I can't imagine improving it with chatter.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I don't post because I'm not sure if you're working on doing a new post right after your existing one, the look better without extra junk between them.
If you see "to be continued" at the end of a post, that is my signal that my latest update has ended, so post away!

I guess I'm going to have to take Lucas's advice then.

SO GUYS: BARD: BEST CLASS, OR GREATEST CLASS?

- Eddie

p.s. I don't mind irrelevant chat, it keeps having to load several updates on one page.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I annotated my EV Nova test video on youtube. Too much of an info dump?

Obviously I can't switch entirely to a video LP and use annotations for the whole thing (or can I?); I'm trying to figure out a way to use mainly the video but explain strategies and the like in more depth on the forum. "More info" annotations that link back to TT, maybe?

Were people actually enjoying the narrative portion of the LP? It's tempting to just drop that entirely.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

I think the annotations are really helpful, but if you can't get your own voice in there you should at least throw in some sort of music. Sound effects would be really helpful if you can manage em.

- Eddie
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'm interested in possibly taking my Wario Land Let's Play in a different direction when I get back to it, probably of the video kind. What's the best format to record them in, and how do I apply those 'lil pop-up notes over the video?

I'm also interested in feedback on the two updates I've done so far. I think I might've gone a bit overboard with the Strong Bad-like Wario dialogue and using a ton of pictures for single levels.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Hey I loved the two Wario updates. They were fun and interesting to read. I think Wario and Strong Bad have pretty much the same character anyway so I was okay with the portrayal.

Cutting back a bit on the comments and pictures and making it a lighter LP would probably be just fine.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Guys, this is strange shit.

I was about to start recording my DOOM LP, and discovered that apparently the very first level is fucked up. That is, the exit room is... wrong. I can't go to the second level without the console.

I can try to obtain another version, and the rest of the game is fine, but it may take some time. What would you guys prefer?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm an Aspie so it's okay

Quote:
All righty, so: Persona 3. How's my driving? It's been a while since I've seriously worked on an LP and I think I might've gotten a little rusty over the break. Any thoughts?
I think it's awesome, but I do have two bits of criticism:
1. Not enough dick jokes: It is accepted by the Royal Academy of Let's Playing that dick jokes are essential to the success of any LP. The fact that you're Let's Play is so great even without them proves your talent and sophistication as an LPer. But just imagine how great it would be with them. You'd be at the same level as the greats (Chewbot, Stiv, Dark Id, etc.)
2. You must update twice a day. No exceptions.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Cure Space Marine

Quote:
This is a bit late, but I think I'd prefer LPs done in the third person, rather than in the first person. It'd also be nice if you went just a bit easier on recurring gags, like Mitsuru and conspiracies.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Not a Beer

Contrariwise, I actually quite liked the P3 bits narrated by MC.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Crabjörn

Not sure how to handle cutscenes in my upcoming LP. My inclination is just to get the youTubes to link to them and summarize them in text format, but I could also take screenshots of the more dramatic/hilarious moments and comment on them in turn. Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Not sure how to handle cutscenes in my upcoming LP. My inclination is just to get the youTubes to link to them and summarize them in text format, but I could also take screenshots of the more dramatic/hilarious moments and comment on them in turn. Thoughts?
Easy. Do BOTH.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Swag Brotagonist

So I'm trying out some different settings for my Pokemon Platinum LP, and I wanted to see if you guys think it looks better with or without that separator bar. Also, the water looks off because the emulator has some issues with rendering 3D. Some stuff looks fine, like the houses and trees, but other stuff, like water and battle animations, don't look right, but are serviceable.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Bug/Flying

It looks better without the line, I'd say. Having that black bar there is a little distracting when you're scanning over the images posted.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Not for resale

Well, I'm at a bit of a crossroads now, and I'd like to get a few opinions on this. Both King's Quest VII and Final Fantasy V are queued up for me to LP, and I could easily start either one in the next convenient time slot (ie. June or August). However, I'd like to hear some opinions on which I should tackle first.

If I tackle KQ7, it'll finish up my ongoing LP series of the later King's Quest games, but have basically no room for reader/viewer interaction since the LP would pretty much have to be in video form. If I tackle FF5, it'll be a much longer LP with a lot more user interaction, but KQ7 will take the back burner and probably won't get started until after FF5 is done (which could easily take 7 months to LP properly; FF5 is not exactly a small game).

Weigh in if you would please, I'd like to hear some opinions on this. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Do the video one first.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Not for resale

I may have run into a bit of a stumbling block with KQ7, actually. See, the game was designed to only run in Windows, and only in 256-color mode. Which no video card made after 2005 even supports any more (my choices are 16-bit or 32-bit color; no 8-bit color option in sight). I'll look for a patch to fix this, of course (and check to see if I can find a copy of KQ Collection, since I hear it doesn't have that problem), but if I can't find any, this is going to make things difficult...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
I may have run into a bit of a stumbling block with KQ7, actually. See, the game was designed to only run in Windows, and only in 256-color mode.
This page claims to offer DOSBox installers even for a Windows original disc.