The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazian View Post
This page claims to offer DOSBox installers even for a Windows original disc.
Funny, I was just there. Likely that'll solve it, but I won't be able to say for sure right away. I do know, however, that my copy of KQ7 is a first-run release of the game, so this will test their actual compatibility in that regard.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Not a Beer

Since you're asking, I'm more excited by FFV (especially if you're doing the GBA version since I've never seen the new classes in action), and it's harder for me to find time to watch video LPs. But the KQ runs are fun too.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
so exciting!

Now I'm building sandcastles in the saaaand, and it's only something I'm thinking about doing but I'm not sure yet. (The real thing would actually include pictures)

Good evening, and welcome. Please, make yourselves comfortable. We don't have much time for pleasantries, so we're going to get right down to business: You've been assembled here because you've been chosen to act as Emperor Leon of Varennes's Cabinet. As you may have heard around town, we, the Holy Empire of Varennes, have recently adopted... well, let's call it a more aggressive foreign policy. We seek to extend our influence across the world, uniting the entire planet under the Glorious Banner of Varennes.

Of course, you must understand, as the Emperor does, that a worldwide empire does not spring up overnight. As they say, "Avalon wasn't built in a day." We have made peace with the fact that it is unlikely we will be able to complete the global unification within our lifetime.

We take solace in the fact that no matter what the circumstance, our goals will never be forgotten. It is not yet common knowledge, but Emperor Leon was recently gifted with a special magic: The "Blessing of Succession." Upon the death of an Emperor, the sum total of his knowledge - his memories, his dreams, his strength - are passed on to his heir, so they may carry on his will. Thanks to the Blessing of Succession, Emperor Leon's dream will never die and one day, no matter how distant, the Holy Empire of Varennes will rule the entire world.

The Emperor has wisely pointed out that, when this day comes, Varennes will need a ruler who is both wise and powerful, someone capable of maintaining control over an empire that the sun can never set on. Thanks to the Blessing of Succession, throughout the years we will be able to forge a fitting leader. For your first duty as members of the Emperor's Cabinet, I want you to imagine what sort of person this leader will be:

A man or a woman? What name would be fitting of the leader of the world? For some reason, the Emperor has strict guidelines that the name shall not exceed eight Japanese characters, either hiragana or katakana.

This leader would most assuredly be a master of both magic and arms, but what should their specialty be? Please, discuss it amongst yourselves over dinner, and afterwards, we can continue and I will explain why Emperor Leon was unable to attend this meeting as well as our plans for the immediate future.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip View Post
WALL OF TEXT
Is this for Master of Magic or some other sort of Civ like game? I'm confused.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM

It's still over three months until my Clocktower LP will begin but I'd like to get whatever feedback I can on a couple of ideas well before then.

First, for those who aren't familiar with the game, it's not a traditional survival horror. It draws far more inspiration from point-and-click adventures. This is what makes it such an interesting game. This also presents a question: since it is more of an adventure/puzzle game do I play it myself or do I let the people tell me where to go a la Brickroad's RHEM playthrough? The puzzles aren't exactly difficult in CT but since the game's multiple endings are decided by the player's actions, I think it would be more interesting having the group decide which direction I go.

If I do the game with viewer feedback as above, once it's finished I will do a video of the entire playthrough straight through with or without commentary depending on everyone's preference. (I'll admit this would be more of a video-production project for my own education rather than a simple recording of our playthrough. So, expect overdone post-production.)

Secondly, if I do the audience participation game, should I go ahead, afterwards, and show all the endings and procedures for getting them?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlueFlannel View Post
Secondly, if I do the audience participation game, should I go ahead, afterwards, and show all the endings and procedures for getting them?
I don't think there's enough people on the board to really do much with audience participation. Well, let me rephrase that: you won't be able to have the audience participate outside of very simple questions. Take a look at OctoPrime's LPs for what I feel is pretty much the best audience participation you can expect out of the boards here.

That isn't meant to be a slight against Octo or his audience! I'm just saying that relying on the audience to make indepth decisions for you may not work out as well as you might think.

- Eddie
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Yeah, audience participation has only really worked well in my LPs when I stop at arbitrary points and say "hey everyone, suggest what to do next from this list." I've noticed its best to leave at least a week between posting the question and the next update works well to get a decent amount of response.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I don't think there's enough people on the board to really do much with audience participation. Well, let me rephrase that: you won't be able to have the audience participate outside of very simple questions. Take a look at OctoPrime's LPs for what I feel is pretty much the best audience participation you can expect out of the boards here.

That isn't meant to be a slight against Octo or his audience! I'm just saying that relying on the audience to make indepth decisions for you may not work out as well as you might think.

- Eddie
This. Not to mention that even though Clocktower is a bit more point-and-clicky than most horror games, that much micromanagement would bring the entire thing to a dull slog.

I've never actually played Clocktower, so I don't know if this is possible, but if the game ever gives you an actual branching point (e.g. Do I go to the Inevitably Haunted Woods or to the Inevitably Haunted Tool Shed?) that would be a better way to include the audience.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 PM

I don't know if it will change anything but the game is extremely short. For reference, I've done four playthroughs to get four different endings so far. Each playthough, probably clocked in around 30 minutes. I will admit that part of that is I know exactly where I'm going and I was fast-forwarding Jennifer's excruciatingly slow walking.

Without giving much away, there aren't so much "branching paths" as much as the game is "beatable" in a number of ways. These different ways of winning the game aren't things the average player is going to pick up on through normal play because they involve things like specifically going over here and getting that thing-a-ma-do-dad first or evading that scene in that one room. It's very obtuse but intentionally so because the game is to be approached as though every playthrough can be different. Anyway, because of the obtuseness, you guys may be right about not having so much audience participation.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

If the game is anything like the PSX Clocktower, I'd show off the places to hide and ways to avoid the Scissordude.

- Eddie
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
If the game is anything like the PSX Clocktower, I'd show off
For a few seconds, I honestly thought that was the entire statement. I was thinking, "Show off? How?"

Anyway, yes, I'll be doing that.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Crawling Chaos

So I'm thinking about using some Gifs in my LP. Not a ton of them, but just a few to show parts where there's more than just two frames of animation, which doesn't happen a whole lot.

How should I limit myself on that? I know some people complain that having a lot gifs slows down their computer a lot, so I don't want to go overboard.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
World of Darkness Returns

A few gifs never hurt anyone, but if you have a lot of them on the screen at once I find it rather distracting to read around.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Not a Beer

Worst case, if there's a lot that are useful, you could always include the first one or two and then link the rest to avoid slowing down people's browsers. I love pixel-art gif animations, myself.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Not for resale

Looking over my PC games, I have so many adventure games on my shelves, it's downright ludicrous. Seriously, I haven't even LPed a third of my collection yet (though over a third of my collection has been LPed on Talking Time). Some of them are so obscure that I'm not sure I've even heard of them! So this seems a golden opportunity to give you, my potential audience, first pick of which games I should tackle at some point in the indeterminate future. Games are sorted from most serious to least serious, plot-wise.

Please keep in mind that these are synopses, not official claims. These games are open for anyone who wants to tackle them, I'm just bringing them up since they constitute the sum of my adventure game collection.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

A chain of ritualistic murders in the heart of New Orleans. A down-on-his-luck author. A mystery to be solved, a destiny to be wrought, a whole lot of inventory items to be futilely rubbed against everything on the screen in the vain hope of solving the next puzzle, an adventure to be had. This is where the Gabriel Knight saga begins.

LPing Options: Screenshot or Video

The 7th Guest

Old Man Stauf built a house, and filled it with his toys.
Six guests were invited one night, their screams the only noise.
Blood inside the library, blood right up the hall.
Dripping down the attic stairs, hey guests, try not to fall.
Nobody came out that night, not one was ever seen.
But Old Man Stauf is waiting there, crazy, sick, AND MEAN!

LPing Options: Video only

Full Throttle

It's half past the Apocalypse, and society's gone the way of the dodo for the most part. At least we finally have our hovercars, right? Anyway, motorcycle gangs like the Polecats now roam the wastelands, while the last bastions of civilization struggle to stay alive. An unlikely meet-up between the motorcycle manufacturer Malcolm Corley and the Polecats leader Ben leads to a mad chase to find a killer and protect the future of Corley Motors. A game by Tim Schafer, which may or may not mean anything to you.

Ripley's Believe it or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu

During the lull between World War I and II, famed explorer and cartoonist Robert Ripley finds himself caught up in a mess of intrigue as an attempt is made to assassinate him. He quickly finds himself embroiled in a quest to uncover the secrets of the First Emperor of China, and discover if there truly ever was an Elixir of Life.

Shannara

Based loosely off of the fantasy novel series by Terry Brooks, Shannara takes place shortly after the first published novel (The Sword of Shannara). Jak Ohmsford, the son of the hero Shea Ohmsford, finds himself wishing he could have a grand adventure himself. Soon he gets more than he bargained for when the mysterious Druid Allanon appears and informs him that he's needed to protect the Four Lands from destruction by the rebirth of the Warlock Lord.

Death Gate

Based loosely off of the fantasy novel series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, Death Gate is a semi-amalgamation of about 4 novels in the series. The Patryn Haplo, long trapped in the Labyrinth that his kind have been condemned to for generations, escapes the infernal prison at last with the aid of Lord Xar. Xar then sends Haplo on a mission: discover the lost Seal Pieces, bring them back to the Vortex, and bring about the Reformation of the sundered world.

Companions of Xanth

Based loosely off of the fantasy novel series by Piers Anthony, Companions of Xanth is most derivative of Demons Don't Dream. You recently purchased a video game about some place called Xanth (how meta), and suddenly you've found yourself in Xanth! Choose your companion, and adventure forth to claim the ultimate prize: a Talent that will make you a worthy resident of Xanth!

Return to Zork

This is one of the granddaddies of adventure game series, and Return to Zork is where the series finally went full-on visual. Morpheus, an unknown but powerful entity, is terrorizing the Great Underground Empire's dreams. You have been spirited away to the Valley of the Sparrows Vultures to stop Morpheus from destroying Zork entirely.

NOTE: These next three would have to be LPed in sequence, for obvious reasons.

Secret of Monkey Island (SE or Original)
Original:

Special Edition:

Guybrush Threepwood really wants to be a pirate (though he looks more like a flooring inspector). So he's come to Melee Island(TM) to seek his fame and fortune. But unbeknownst to him, a plot is being cooked up by the zombie pirate LeChuck, and he's about to unwittingly get mixed up in the whole mess. Will he ever uncover the Secret of Monkey Island(TM)? You'll just have to see for yourself...

Monkey Island II: LeChuk's Revenge

Guybrush has attained his goal and become a pirate (though not especially mighty). An unfortunate twist of events, however, has left him once more with a quest to destroy his now-arch-nemesis, LeChuck. Will he succeed, or will LeChuck have the last laugh?

(No I don't have the Spanish version; that was the first decent screenshot I could find online is all.)

Curse of Monkey Island

After the events of the previous game, Guybrush shortly finds himself washed ashore on the island of Puerto Pollo with a new problem: he's accidentally turned his love Elaine into a solid gold statue! Now he has to undo the curse on her, whatever that may entail.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish

It's not easy being a kid, especially if you're Willy Beamish. Join this lovable rapscallion on his summer vacation as he has to deal with the most extremist parents ever, a frog-jumping contest, the trials and tribulations of twelve-year-old love triangles, school bullies who don't know how to quit, and an evil plot by the local artificial sweetener company to take over the whole town.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Not for resale

The B-Squad List

These are games I will LP only if demand is overwhelming. Because of all the adventure games I own, these are definitely the worst of the worst.

Lighthouse

A sudden storm one night causes you, the unnamed protagonist and author who's recently moved to Astoria, Oregon, to have to look after your eccentric vaguely Russian neighbor's baby daughter. Events transpire that quickly get you mixed up in an interdimensional quest to save both your neighbor and his daughter.

Why I Hate It: It's an uninspired Myst clone that paradoxically looks worse than Myst does. Only it has Sierra's own personal brand of moon logic and dick moves to make the whole experience hell on earth. Oh, and it takes itself way, way, WAY more seriously than any Myst clone deserves.

Quantum Gate

Mankind has royally screwed itself over and reduced Earth to a state of soon-to-be-dead. But fortunately, you're part of a military organization hell-bent on destroying some evil nasty mean aliens who just happen to have what it is that mankind needs to survive. I'm sure you can guess what the story's ultimate twist will be.

Why I Hate It: It's not even a game. It's an "interactive novel", meaning you are quite literally on rails as you get led about from plot point to plot point. The story is somewhat interesting, granted, but it's so cliche'd, and the actors are beyond horrible. If you thought Sierra made bad casting decisions, you should see how awful this title's performers are.

The Journeyman Project Turbo

You take the role of a sort of space/time repairman, who has just come into the job to discover that someone bumraped the continuum while you were in the shower this morning and it's up to you to fix it. Don't you just have all the luck? Naturally, the problems in space and time all seem to be related to one another in decidedly unlikely ways, and it's up to you to not only fix them, but also to apprehend whomever is responsible, all while not screwing over space and time yourself.

Why I Hate It: On top of looking like it was put together by a first-year Comp Sci student, it's derivative, it has bad acting, it uses moon logic, and it panders to the developer by having puzzles that you basically can't solve unless you've already solved them or designed them yourself.

Riven: The Sequel to Myst

After you rescued Atrus from his perpetual imprisonment in D'ni, Atrus said that he would have need of your services again some day. Well that day is today, as Atrus has finally located his beloved wife: she's been kidnapped by his evil father Genn, and is being held hostage on the Age of Riven. Atrus has sent you in to save her.

Why I Hate It: It's the sequel to Myst. Do I really need to say more than that? Just like with Myst, the puzzles are of the makes-sense-in-retrospect variety, ie. you'll never solve them without a hint book handy. Also, it's on 5 BLOODY DISCS. I am NOT swapping discs that frequently, thank you.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Chief

Personally, I'd say go for one of the more obscure games in the list. Riddle of Master Lu or Shannara look like they might be interesting.

Just about any of the Lucasarts games are excellent, but if you decide to do one of those, I'd say go video for anything with voice work - Curse of Monkey Island especially. Everyone deserves to see and hear the full glory of the musical number at the beginning of disc 2.

Riven has a special place in my heart just because I puzzled my way through it with nothing but a pad of paper and my wits. I enjoyed just losing myself in the world, piecing together all the little disparate bits and background into something resembling a cohesive narrative. The disc swapping was a pain in the ass, but if you can find a copy of the anniversary edition, it condenses the 5 CDs down to a single DVD - much easier to manage.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Love and Peace

I'll second Shannara. I don't think I've ever seen an LP of that before, and it's been years since I've read any of the books.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Willy beamish.

Always wanted to play it never managed to
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Not a Beer

Willy Beamish sure looks different, I'd go for that. Secoond choices, maybe Full Throttle or Xanth just for the stupidity. And as usual, I'll always vote for screenshot over video.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Your life is forfeit

So... am I on for Snake's Revenge this month? I seem to recall that being the case but haven't seen any reminders to that effect and am not sure if that's still happening.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
So... am I on for Snake's Revenge this month? I seem to recall that being the case but haven't seen any reminders to that effect and am not sure if that's still happening.
get cracking Great Leader!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
According to the archive thread, yeah. (You're not sent a reminder.) You can start anytime you feel like it.
OK. I can never keep track of where stuff like this is located. Might be time for some thread renaming? HUM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Why I Hate It: It's the sequel to Myst. Do I really need to say more than that?
YOU SHUT YOUR FOOL MOUTH BEFORE I FILL IT WITH PAIN.

I, ah, really really like Riven. =(
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
YOU SHUT YOUR FOOL MOUTH BEFORE I FILL IT WITH PAIN.

I, ah, really really like Riven. =(
Yeah, I can tell I'm in a bit of a minority amongst adventure game fans in my dislike of Myst, Riven, Exile, etc. I suppose it's because I grew up with story-centric adventure games, and Myst games (as well as their clones) are more environment-centric. You're basically expected to keep a notepad and take careful notes at all times, but there's nothing in the in-game interface to let you do that without wasting physical resources. Kinda annoying. Also, I'll never forgive that damned musical puzzle in the rocket ship in Myst. I do not have a good ear for discerning notes.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Yeah, I can tell I'm in a bit of a minority amongst adventure game fans in my dislike of Myst, Riven, Exile, etc. I suppose it's because I grew up with story-centric adventure games, and Myst games (as well as their clones) are more environment-centric. You're basically expected to keep a notepad and take careful notes at all times, but there's nothing in the in-game interface to let you do that without wasting physical resources. Kinda annoying. Also, I'll never forgive that damned musical puzzle in the rocket ship in Myst. I do not have a good ear for discerning notes.
You're not alone, Sky! I too am not a fan of those games and their ilk.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Still fighting Infocom

Quote:
I actually got a copy of Riven on DVD with my first DVD drive (this was back in the day when they were still the new thing). I still have it around somewhere but I never put any real time into it.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Chief

I wasn't sure if this should go in the tech thread or here, but I wanted to post a few test shots to see how everything would look. Will full 640x480 screenshots take up too much real estate in a screenshot lp, or should I look at doing a size reduction?

Also, I think I've figured out how to work Cam Studio working. I'm planning to do mostly a screenshot lp, but as I do my refresh playthough, I'm finding a lot of the more important cutscenes are probably a lot easier and clearer to understand as full videos. I capped the opening sequence as a test.

I'd love any suggestions from the more experience members of the audience.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Not for resale

Well, I used 640x400 shots for all of my adventure game LPs and nobody complained about it...
Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Busy With School

Huh, I just noticed this thread existed.

So, how's the BN6 LP? I'm personally kind of annoyed with it, since, well, I can't really do viewer participation due to my schedule and the fact that in the BN series there's... not much that I really can do beyond asking people to construct my folder (which would make actually playing the game a real pain).

I dunno, it just seems more like a "Watch me run through this game" than a LP.