The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > Let's Play Already

Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Spriggans have a few problems that are mostly related to food intake since they're vegetarians. Granted, they have an incredibly slow digestion, but until you start running into the themed dungeons with vegetation it can be hard to get really high value fruits and veggies.
I dunno, the food issue is always there in the back of your mind, but you start with a potion of porridge, and there's usually enough fruit to get by on until you make it to the Hive and collect enough honeycomb and royal jelly to easily last the rest of the game. Out of probably a dozen or so decent-level spriggans, I've only starved once, and it was my own fault. I was new to the game and tried to train up too many magic skills, so the hunger from excessive spellcasting did me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoprime
I was worried that MummypusPrime would die on the first floor.

And I would have been devastated.
The first floor is actually pretty safe -- you almost have to try to get killed there. You only run into easy fodder monsters like rats, bats, goblins, and kobolds, and they usually only show up one at a time.

Floors 2 to 7 or so, on the other hand, are possibly the most dangerous non-optional part of the game. You haven't had a chance to accumulate an arsenal of powers/spells/scrolls/wands/potions/etc. to get out of sticky situations, but you start running into monsters that pose a legitimate danger, like snakes, ogres, centaurs, gnoll packs, and uniques (curse you, Sigmund!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecBebop
Please make sure you cover all the reasons that Crawl is The Best Roguelike Ever™, including but not limited to: auto-explore, stashes, and searching.
Yeah, the usability and convenience features in Crawl really are an order of magnitude beyond any of the other roguelikes I've tried. Auto-explore in particular does an incredible job of speeding through the empty areas to ensure that as much of your playtime as possible is spent making interesting decisions, and it's smart about stopping as soon as you sight anything other than blank corridor. I know some people don't like it, but I use it all the time, and really miss it when I play other games.

Last edited by Thraeg; 08-05-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Mad Overlord

Welcome back to Let's Play Dungeon Crawl! In this installment, we dive headfirst into the deep end of the experience pool, while Octoprime dabbles with genetic manipulation and runs away a lot.

During an otherwise unremarkable encounter with a kobold and his beloved pet cockroach, Octoprime finally gets enough practice with his starting crossbow to reach rank 1 in that skill, making this an opportune time to take a look at the skill system. Crunchy mechanics discussion ahead! Scroll down if you just want to find out what happens to Octoprime.

We have a half-dozen skills here, all at rank 1 or 2 (out of a maximum of 27). A more focused character not suffering from Mummified Brain Syndrome might have a couple of staple skills up to rank 3-5 by this point in the game. Most of the skills in Crawl represent proficiency with a particular class of weapons or school of magic, and they have a major effect on how effective you are with them. Fighting is sort of an uber-skill that helps out no matter what weapon you're using, and also gives you additional hit points, but it advances more slowly than the specialized weapon skills. Spellcasting works similarly for magic, granting you bonus magic points and spell memorization slots. Finally, there are some utility and defensive skills; most of them are self-explanatory, but there are a few exceptions, such as Stabbing (deal massive bonus damage with a dagger against a sleeping target), Invocation (call upon abilities granted by your god), and Evocation (use magic items more effectively).

The red numbers next to each rank are the racial aptitude for that skill, with lower numbers being better. The average for most skills is 100, but they can range from as low as 45 (deep dwarves with Evocation) all the way up to 260 (trolls with Spellcasting), and they take proportionally less or more experience to advance in rank. While on this screen, we can toggle the display between the racial aptitude for each skill and our current percentage progress toward the next rank. We can also choose to "turn off" certain skills, and slow their rate of practice. Why would you ever want to slow your skill advancement? Well, it all has to do with the strange but important experience pool mechanic...

Basically, the experience pool is a weird hybrid of a traditional D&D-esque "kill monsters, get exp., level up, improve skills" approach and the more naturalistic "skills go up through practicing them" method you might be familiar with from Elder Scrolls games. In Crawl, skills advance through practice, BUT only while you have experience in your pool to funnel into them. Every time you kill a monster, the experience points you earn bring you closer to your next level, and they also go into your experience pool (though some may not show up because they're immediately diverted into whatever skill you dealt the killing blow with). This leads to the ancient dungeon crawling maxim that I just made up, "First you kill, then you skill."

This system means that it's often to your advantage to turn off skills that aren't that important to you to keep them from sucking up experience that could go to the ones you care about. In this case, though, all of Octoprime's skills are useful to him, so I'm not going to turn any of them off. In general, the system does a good job of advancing your most frequently used skills, and you can play successfully without ever micro-managing it, but sometimes it can be helpful to do so, such as here:

On the way to the stairs to floor 3, Octoprime comes across a dart trap while he has 11 experience points in his pool.

After attempting to disarm the trap a couple of times (and taking a dart to the face for his troubles), he eventually succeeds. Not only can he now salvage a stack of darts to shoot with his crossbow, but his experience pool is down to 2, meaning that 9 points just went into his Traps & Doors skill. This will probably be the last time I mention it, but with all of my characters, I practice disarming traps at every chance until I get it to at least rank 5 or so. This helps a lot with finding secret doors just by walking by, and also with the noble goal of not getting sliced in half by a blade trap later in the game. End of boring mechanics geekery.

And so, heedless of his own safety, Octoprime presses onward, descending the stairs to the third floor of the dungeon. Notice that the minimap shows three disconnected pockets of explored regions. Each level has three normal, white staircases up and down, as well as occasional entrances to other dungeon branches (gold staircases) and one-way escape hatches (red staircases). In general, I'll poke my head down each staircase that I come across, before coming back up to finish exploring the current level. Occasionally there will be nice items lying around for the taking, and knowing the locations of all three stairs back up can be crucial if there's a monster chasing you that you need to get away from.

Unlike at level 2, level 4 Octoprime can handle a snake pretty easily, but this routine battle turns interesting when additional monsters keep showing up from around the corners while he's fighting it, so he retreats to the safety of the corner to fight one at a time.

At some point, we picked up a wand, but we don't know what it does yet, so we're going to try it out on the goblin. It's usually a good idea to use-ID wands against a weak creature. The vast majority deal damage in some form, so it should help win the fight, and even if it turns out to be a positive effect like haste, it's still just a goblin.

Woops. Out of 20-odd possible wand varieties, Polymorph is probably the only one that could make this battle significantly harder, and the harmless goblin has now become a somewhat less harmless gnoll -- still not too big of a threat, but enough that we decide to retreat to the stairs just to the east (which we know the location of thanks to advance scouting).

Fortunately, the dice smile on Octoprime in this battle, and he easily hacks up the conga line of monsters while sustaining only minor damage. Stepping over their cooling corpses, Octoprime claims his rewards -- his very first magic ring and spellbook. Equipping the ring has no immediately apparent effect, so he shrugs, makes a mental note to identify it later, and moves on to the book.

But alas, its arcane glyphs and symbols just look like so much gibberish to him. In Crawl, you can't attempt to learn or cast spells until you manage to get rank 1 Spellcasting skill. But Boojum, you ask, how can you learn Spellcasting if you don't know any spells to practice, um, casting? Good question! Give yourself a gold star, imaginary reader! You can learn the rudiments of Spellcasting from reading scrolls (as long as you have experience in your pool), so that's exactly what we do -- sitting down to read a few of the unidentified scrolls we've accumulated.

One of them turns out to be teleport, which deposits us entirely too close to an ogre. Ogres are one of the biggest early-game killers -- they don't have any special abilities, but they hit HARD, and this one could probably make mummy paste with two swings of his club. Fortunately, the ogre is asleep and there's a handy escape route. Octoprime decides that discretion is the better part of being a chickenshit, and makes for the stairs down to level 4...

...which really don't offer much of an improvement to his situation.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Mad Overlord

After retreating and trying a different staircase, Octoprime successfully explores most of the fourth floor, taking down several hounds, giant ants, orc bowling teams, and assorted other creatures.

But then he encounters an orc wizard, his first spellcasting foe, who promptly hastes himself and slows Octoprime, ensuring that he'll get to take several times as many actions.

Even with that handicap, Octoprime soon has the orc in critical condition and on the run, and it seems that the battle will soon be won...

...but a few missed shots (and unerring magic darts from the wizard) later, the tables have turned and Octoprime prepares to meet his end...

...only for his final desperate throw to strike true! He gains another level, and gleefully claims the orc's magic dagger.

Having explored most of the fourth floor by now, he decides to go back and cautiously search more of level 3 before descending to 5. While in combat with a giant bat, he continues the process of reading his scrolls to identify them and train Spellcasting. It's usually a good idea to read unidentified scrolls while a weak creature is around, since some (such as fear), won't be identified if there's nobody to affect.

Gah! One of them turns out to be a scroll of immolation, which burns the reader and everyone around him in a giant fireball. Usually, the damage from these isn't too severe, but Octoprime's mummy fire vulnerability means he's burned to within an inch of his unlife. Still, no problem -- just need to rest a little while and we'll be right as rain...

...oh.

Cornered by an ogre who can end his existence with one solid blow, will Octoprime somehow make it out of this latest predicament, or will Lucas the ghoul stalker have to avenge him? Find out next time, on Let's Play Dungeon Crawl!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Welcome back to Let's Play Dungeon Crawl! In this installment, we dive headfirst into the deep end of the experience pool, while Octoprime dabbles with genetic manipulation and runs away a lot.
That describes me pretty well, actually.

Quote:
Cornered by an ogre who can end his existence with one solid blow, will Octoprime somehow make it out of this latest predicament, or will Lucas the ghoul stalker have to avenge him? Find out next time, on Let's Play Dungeon Crawl!
Man, you can't end with a cliff hanger like that!

Go Octo-Mummy! Persevere!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

There is no such thing as too many good roguelike LPs, so I'm enjoying this a lot. One thing I was wondering; you mentioned how mummies have very different tactics to all the other races. Are the other playable races as varied as that, or are mummies just that completely different?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Man, roguelike skill systems are crazy. My inability to understand/use them is probably why I've never gotten even to level ten in DCSS or Nethack...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoPrime View Post
Man, you can't end with a cliff hanger like that!
Ha! I can and did, and you can't stop me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Cthulhu View Post
One thing I was wondering; you mentioned how mummies have very different tactics to all the other races. Are the other playable races as varied as that, or are mummies just that completely different?
There's a mix. I'd say that maybe a third of the races are defined by variations in their stats and skill aptitudes. That doesn't mean that they have similar tactics, though -- a mountain dwarf's high health and fast advancement with armor and axes makes him feel very different from a fragile deep elf with incredible magical aptitude, even though neither has anything like the unique abilities, immunities, and restrictions as a mummy.

After you move on from that category, you have another third mostly defined by aptitudes, but with relatively minor unique abilities (minotaurs can attack with their horns but can't wear helmets, merfolk can swim, kobolds can eat tainted meat, demigods have great stats but are too proud to worship a god, etc.).

Then finally, the last group of races has major special abilities that really change how you have to play them. This includes mummies, spriggans (very fast, but can't eat meat), vampires (fluctuate between various states of alive and dead depending on how much blood they've drunk recently), draconians (natural scale armor and a breath weapon), deep dwarves (damage resistance and the ability to recharge wands, but no natural healing over time), and demonspawns (random demonic gift mutations every few levels).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Man, roguelike skill systems are crazy. My inability to understand/use them is probably why I've never gotten even to level ten in DCSS or Nethack...
Well, yes and no. The skill system is a bit crazy, but it's a totally optional extra layer of complexity, and you can go all the way to victory without ever touching the skill screen I showed you. Just remember that whatever actions you do regularly, you'll gradually get better at. So stick with one main type of weapon or a couple of schools of magic, and you'll do fine.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
-ryn

I read Octo's last post as "Go Octo-Mummy preserve" which made that awesome post even better.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Mad Overlord

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Man, what if that ogre kills my mummy? I can't be associated with that sort of failure -- better change my name.
Poor little Octoprime is going to be just devastated when he finds out about this.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

N-no.

NO!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Bug/Flying

I like this forumites exploring the dungeon thing. It's got legs.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 AM
"Jory"

By my count, Octoprime has two turns for the polymorph other wand to nullify the ogre threat. Of course, polymorphing is a two-way street, and the situation could get much worse.

One limitation of the tiles is that the ogre clearly does not look like Shrek, and when any of my characters are having their heads bashed in, picturing Shrek doing it brings a smile to my face.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Mad Overlord

Default All Octoprime Can Say Is That His Life Is Pretty Plain.

Welcome back to episode 3 of Let's Play Dungeon Crawl, wherein Octoprime would like to keep his cheeks dry today.

When last we left Octoprime, he was cornered by an ogre, with his existence hanging by a thread. Throughout his brief reanimated existence so far, he has always taken solace in the knowledge that somewhere out there, elsewhere in the multiverse, a greater being was watching over him -- a power who had not only called him into being, but even deigned to share its name with him. But now, even as he finds himself in the greatest peril he has yet known, that connection is suddenly and irrevocably shattered, and he is all alone in a hostile world. The plucky mummy fights back hot embalming-fluid tears at the discovery that he's been disowned by his namesake.

But there's no time for grief, and he vows to persevere in the face of any adversity. No mere ogre will get the best of him!

A few steps to the northeast don't reveal any fortuitous escape hatches, so he turns to face the threat. His bag of tricks is mostly empty so far, but he reaches for one of his few options -- the wand of polymorph (SpecBebop gets a cookie for totally calling it). He waits anxiously as the ogre disappears in a puff of smoke, and ...

...reforms as something maybe even a bit more dangerous. Yellow snakes don't do quite as much damage per hit as ogres, but they're faster and harder to hit -- still far more than a match for Octoprime in his current state. He waves the wand one last time, and...

...salvation! A generic human, one of the weakest results possible. Octoprime will survive at least a bit longer, even in his bereft state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecBebop
One limitation of the tiles is that the ogre clearly does not look like Shrek, and when any of my characters are having their heads bashed in, picturing Shrek doing it brings a smile to my face.
Actually, this ogre is pretty much the Anti-Shrek. In Shrek, Princess What's-Her-Name turns into an ogre and lives happily ever after (spoilers). In Dungeon Crawl, the ogre turns into a human and lives happily ev--OH GOD NOT MY SPLEEN!

Polymorph is a really unreliable way of getting out of tight spots, but this time it came through for us. I'm not actually entirely sure why plain old humans are in the game at all, since they almost never show up naturally, and usually only appear when you're dealing with shapeshifters or polymorphing.

Wrapping up his exploration of the third and fourth floor before moving on to the dangers of the fifth, Octoprime takes out his anger on a defenseless sleeping insect and is rewarded with his first rank of Stabbing skill. At high skill levels, Stabbing can one-shot even some of the toughest monsters in the game, provided you catch them napping (or cheat and put them to sleep with magic). But right now, it barely dents the ant's hit points.

We also find our first shop. Every shop has a certain category of goods that it specializes in, such as weapons, food, or books. This is an antique dealer, which means that just about anything can show up in it, but the items aren't automatically identified unless you've already ID'ed them yourself. Unlike in some other games, you can't guess how powerful they are by looking at the prices, because unidentified items are set at a low fixed price. This means that you can get good deals at antique dealers with some lucky gambling.

As a side note, the only way to get money in Crawl is by finding it lying in piles on the floor. Shopkeepers won't buy items from you, since scouring the dungeon to vacuum up and sell all the loose items was another example of the low-risk, low-reward play styles that the design team was working to avoid.

Nothing in this shop looks very promising, though. We do pick up the two unidentified, bargain-priced scrolls for 25 gold each, since many types of scroll are worth a lot more than that (such as the enchant weapon II sold here for 137 gold), and we might as well continue the process of identifying as many types as possible.

Octoprime also casually slaughters a common kobold and takes its dagger of returning, which can come back when thrown, making it a very weight- and space-efficient ranged weapon. Unfortunately the returning chance is based on Throwing skill, so it usually fails right now. He does, however, use it to finish off another giant ant and advance to level 6 in the process.

The fifth floor proves immediately inhospitable. Centaurs all have bows, and are one of the first monsters to specialize in ranged attacks. They're not too tough if you can get into melee range, but in this case trying to cross that distance while being shot at would be suicidal, so we once again retreat to try a different staircase.

Last edited by Thraeg; 09-18-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Mad Overlord

Default He Likes Watching the Puddles Gather Rain.

An altar! Of the god of death, even! Octoprime's heart (which is located in an urn hundreds of miles away) leaps at the sight. Perhaps this god will accept him as a worshipper and fill the gaping void left by his abandonment. But as he tries to reach the altar, the intervening water proves too deep and choppy to cross. Even his native octopus swimming abilities seem to have been lost along with his connection to his progenitor. He stares forlornly at the distant altar, shakes a tentacle at the heavens, then slinks away, rejected and dejected.

Game mechanics note: to cross deep water, a non-merfolk character needs to be able to levitate. This usually requires a magic ring (which Octoprime hasn't found yet), a spell (which he doesn't have and wouldn't be able to cast with his current skills anyway), or a potion (which, as a mummy, he's unable to drink).

The rest of floor 5 goes rather smoothly, and he moves on to the sixth. Octoprime's skills and equipment are both improving, and he easily defeats a menagerie of gnolls, ants, scorpions, imps, and hounds. He even handles that troublesome centaur with another shot of his trusty polymorph wand. After wielding an unidentified magic dagger for a while, he discovers it to be +2/+2 (the first number is a bonus to hit, the second is to damage). This is about the best he can hope for right now, so it becomes his main weapon, and he uses a couple of enchant weapon scrolls he had been saving for a while on it, bringing it to +2/+4.

Of course, just like how at a restaurant, you can be sure the food will arrive the moment you give up waiting for it and get up to go to the restroom...

...not ten steps later, he comes across an ichor-stained dagger (which my screenshot unfortunately didn't quite capture).

Most unidentified weapons and armor that you find in the dungeon doesn't have any adjectives applied to them, and are rather mundane ("you see a dagger"). Then there are a few descriptors you'll see semi-commonly("glowing dagger," "runed dagger," etc.) that indicate the weapon is magical, and probably has some plusses, along with maybe a single special ability, such as "returning" or "flaming." Much more rarely, you'll come across fancier-sounding descriptors ("ichor-stained dagger," "jewel-encrusted dagger," etc.), and these indicate that you've just found an artifact! Octoprime wastes no time identifying his new toy:

It turns out to be quite a lucky find! Its bonuses of +1 to hit and +5 to damage are pretty good on their own, but it also has two very useful defensive special properties: +5 to evasion will help dodge quite a few attacks, and double-strength fire resistance will not only cancel out the mummy vulnerability, but even negate some damage.

There are a few "fixed" artifacts in Crawl, with set names and hard-coded properties and descriptions. Most, though, including this one, are "randarts," random artifacts with random bonuses, random special properties, and even a random name. The reason for this again goes back to the design philosophy. To keep each playthrough as different as possible, the developers wanted to avoid having a known set of the best equipment, which each character would have to try to acquire before the endgame (an "ascension kit," in NetHack parlance). So even the best-prepared characters have to accept the hand fate deals them in terms of random loot, and work around any weaknesses that may remain.

With this dagger, fate has dealt Octoprime a pretty good first card, and he wastes no time putting it to good use in battle.

Shortly thereafter, he finds his second magic ring and puts it on, only to discover that it's cursed and can't be removed. This could be bad, as we haven't yet identified a scroll of remove curse. Better use an identify scroll and find out just how much trouble we're in:

A cursed ring of hunger. Hunger, you say? Speeds up the wearer's metabolism and makes him get hungry about twice as often as normal? Oh yeah? Twice as often as NEVER?! How'd'ya like that, ring-bitch?! Bwahahaha!

Last edited by Thraeg; 08-13-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Mad Overlord

Default He Just Wants Some God to Say to Him, "I'll Always Be There When You Wake."

Still congratulating himself for his supreme victory over an inanimate object, Octoprime finishes his exploration of the sixth floor, and comes across another altar, this time of Elyvilon, the goddess of healing! This is really turning out to be his day -- first the great dagger, then the laughable ring, and now he's finally going to able to worship a greater being once again and put his heartbreak at the hands of the faithless Octopus Prime behind him. He joyously rushes toward the altar and kneels...

...but the goddess turns her face from him. Evidently the so-called "good gods" are nothing but small-minded, petty bigots, happy to reject a devoted follower for no reason other than his being an abomination of nature held together with forbidden magics fuelled by the bloody sacrifice of hundreds of slaves. Octoprime begins to feel that he will never find a welcoming place in this cold universe.

But still, unlife goes on, and with his hopes shattered, Octoprime sadly walks away from the altar and continues his journey, taking some small solace as he gains another level.

Emboldened by his new level-7 status, Octoprime heads into battle with the first orc warrior he's encountered so far.

But this proves disastrous, as his dagger barely scratches the orc's plate armor, but the warrior's glaive easily lops off a couple of tentacles with each blow. Yet again, Octoprime is one good hit away from his own demise.

The situation goes from bad to worse with the arrival of a unique human warrior named Edmund, and Octoprime is forced to use a scroll of fear to buy some time and run for the nearest stairs (which lead perilously downward into unexplored territory).

The eighth floor (or at least this part of it) has a checkerboard pattern of floors and walls that's going to play hell with our visibility.

But we do find another wand, which turns out to be disintegration, one of the more powerful damage-dealing wands, and a very welcome addition to our arsenal.

After reading enough scrolls to get to rank 1 in Spellcasting, we can finally decipher that spellbook we've been carrying around for five levels now. Unfortunately, it turns out to be almost useless for us. With only rank 1 Spellcasting and no skill in any of the magical specializations, it's very difficult to learn or cast level 2 spells. We need to find a book with level 1 spells if we want to train magic any further.

Even a frog seems to be too much for Octoprime, and he's forced to get away by using a teleport scroll. Teleport is not an ideal escape mechanism by any means, since it takes a few turns to take effect, and when it does, it...

...deposits you in a random part of the level, which may well be worse than whatever you were trying to get away from. At least this time it dropped us in a safe area, so we try to rest up and recover from that last fight.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Mad Overlord

Default So Stay With Him and He'll Have it Made.

But an orc priest has other ideas, and wanders into view while we're trying to heal. This shouldn't be too bad, since these guys often attack with the Pain spell, which mummies are all but immune to.

Hey, no fair, priests can't use edged weapons! He's cheating!

But cheating or not, Octoprime runs him through and lives another day. He also earns the "orcish hat trick" achievement for surviving near-death experiences at the hands of three different classed orcs.

The shop that we landed next to turns out to sell antique armor, but all the good stuff, including the artifact dazzling chain mail, is heavy armor, and incompatible with the whole thief-sneaky-stabby thing we have going on, so we don't buy anything. Actually, looking at the screenshot, I really should have bought that magic cloak, since it would likely be an upgrade. Not sure why I overlooked it.

Regardless, after resting, we head back up to the seventh floor, and run right back into that damn orc warrior who almost killed us last time.

Revenge is a dish best served sprinkled with millions of tiny particles that used to be your enemy's torso before it got fucking disintegrated.

Now much better armed and able to deal with the troublesome ogres and centaurs that chased him away from various parts of the upper floors, Octoprime heads back up to finish exploring them. And what's this? His very first gold staircase, leading to a different branch off of the main dungeon. He barely even breaks stride to slaughter the orcs and rat as he runs to the stairs.

Oh frabjous day! After being disowned by his creator and twice cruelly thwarted in attempts to find religion, Octoprime is surrounded on all sides by the altars of gods who won't place barriers in his path to them, or reject him just for being a mummy; they will accept him as he is and welcome his worship. Octoprime frolics for sheer joy!

The Ecumenical Temple consists of just a single level with no monsters. All it contains is altars to a pantheon of 12 gods, enabling characters to pick which god they will worship. This is the first major milestone in the careers of most Crawl characters, since the choice of god gives several very useful powers, and it's generally a more important decision than even class is. I'd say that the temple marks the end of the early game, the point where characters begin to have a decent arsenal of tricks and tools at their disposal, and successful play starts to become a lot more complex.

And so this milestone is where we'll leave Octoprime for the moment, and this is where you come in, dear readers. Which of these fine gods should our mummy devote his unlife to? After eliminating the three "good gods" who won't accept him, the three gods of magic that he doesn't have any skill in, and the god of berserking, which is impossible for mummies, we're left with five viable choices:

-Makhleb, god of chaos and violence, who gives the ability to shoot destructive bolts and summon demons to serve you.
-Nemelex Xobeh, trickster god, who grants decks of magical cards with useful (though somewhat random) effects when drawn.
-Okawaru, god of battle, who grants the ability to strengthen or haste yourself, along with occasional gifts of magic weapons and armor.
-Xom, RNG (random number god), who loves true chaos and doesn't give any granted powers, but just watches over you and laughs at you, occasionally intervening to make the show more "interesting," which can sometimes be really helpful and other times get you killed.
-Yredelemnul, god of death, who grants the ability to raise a horde of zombies and drain the lifeforce from foes, and occasionally sends undead servants to help you.

I can't guarantee you'll actually get to see all the cool powers of your chosen god, since we could well get killed around the next corner. Actually, when I saw that the first character for this LP was going to be a mummy thief, I expected that it would be just a quick intro before he died, and would have bet heavily against surviving this long, but Octoprime has proven me wrong so far. I don't think I've ever had a character squeak through so many almost-fatal battles in such a short time, and he continues to hang in there, but his luck has to run out sometime.

Anyway, don't forget to cast your vote, and tune in next time on Let's Play Dungeon Crawl for the continuing adventures of Octoprime the newly religious octopus-mummy-bee-girl-thing!

Last edited by Thraeg; 09-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Bug/Flying

We-e-ell, if you have to ask:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
-Nemelex Xobeh, trickster god, who grants decks of magical cards with useful (though somewhat random) effects when drawn.
This seems the most appropriate one to me.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Mystery Contraption

When there was only one pair of footprints in the sand, that's when I carried you, Octomummy.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Bluh Bluh

The way of Xom is the right way.

It also leads back and forth, and sometimes veers to the left. But it makes things fun!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Set phasers to hug

Hmmm... given the mummy's fragility, I'm guessing Makhleb or Yre-something-or-other might be the best choices. This way you get lots of minions to do your bidding, and avoid direct confrontation.

Of course, I've never played this game, so I'm only guessing here.

For that matter, I've never played a roguelike, even though I love these roguelike LPs...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I have to go with the Trickster god.

I am loving your narration, by the way.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
oh my car

I like minions but I also like cards.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
d.o_o.b

Go with Xom. Octoprime has already been watched over by an uncaring deity who's only looking for a good time; I don't see any reason to change things now.

Last edited by liquid; 08-14-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

Xom is the right choice.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Xom is the only correct god.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 AM
-ryn

Nemelex Xobeh sounds like fun to me. Octomummy could be like a Octopus Mummy Gambit Yugioh... what a disgusting mash up that is to visualize... I like it!

Also I'm loving this LP and learning a lot. Though I read the other rougelike LPs, I was also intimidated by them. I decided to try out DCSS and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though mostly all I do is die in embarassing ways. My favorite is eating meat that makes you sick and dying in a puddle of my own vomit...
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh yes. I have class.

While I like the idea of a card god or a RNG god as much as the next guy, I'm going to go with Yredelemnul. I like the mental image of a mummy controlling a horde of zombies- undead racial unity and all that.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm with Fredly;

The onlything more impressive then an undead cephalopod bandit, is one that has a ZOMBIE ARMY at his beck and call.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

A zombie army that completely ruins any chance he has to be stealthy. What kind of thief goes around with a constantly moaning, slow-moving pack of minions warning everything within a mile that he's coming?

A dead thief, that's what kind.

Wait.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
oh my car

Obviously he'll just have to be the "thuggish and intimidating" kind of thief rather than the "nimble and sneaky" kind.

Tags
let's play , roguelike , rougelike , smoimo rote