The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Default That darn Nintendo machine is ruining our kids!

It's funny watching all the confusion about this newfangled technology and the worrying over the children (braindead!). I'd say that, by and large, we've turned out okay.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Little Waves

I will always love that people were scandalized by the fact that you had to buy Nintendo's new console to play their new games. Why shouldn't I be able to play this "F-Zero" on my good old NES? Did I wake up in Russia this morning?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 AM
That Pokemon Guy

Atari had to go through that first.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 AM

I love how hard that 20/20 piece pushes that cyberpunk terror of being enslaved by our Japanese overlords.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 AM
Little Waves

And then the denouement is John Stossel telling Barbara Walters, "These games are actually rad as hell; I was up all last night gettin' down on some City Connection."
Old 02-26-2015, 12:52 AM
Just bear with me

Yeah, people just didn't understand back then how technology works. They thought the 2600 would have an infinite lifespan, when it was designed as a more versatile Pong machine that probably should never have survived past the 1970s. (It made it to the 1990s, due to a combination of factors including an established user base, inexpensive hardware, and the Tramiels' desperation to compete with Nintendo.)

I've heard that the Super NES was potentially compatible with the NES, in the same way the Genesis was backward compatible with the Master System. All it was missing was the cartridge slot. Sega offered one for the Genesis, but for whatever reason, Nintendo wasn't interested in following suit. *

* I'm researching this just to be sure. There's a third-party adapter for the Super NES that plays NES games, but I'm not certain if it's just a cartridge port or an NES on a chip.

As for games corrupting children, that whole gate business suggests that maybe the concerned parents groups weren't TOO far off the mark...
Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 AM
The Blue Hat Returns!

I was just going to mention that...
Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 AM
EMOJO JOJO

Actually the 3rd-party NES adapter has most of the NES internals (or at least simulacra thereof) in the cartridge itself. They've even recently come out with a similar thing for Genesis games. Yeah. I know.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 AM
Just bear with me

Hmm, I was afraid you'd say that. It still doesn't explain the hacks of early NES games (Donkey Kong, Golf, etc) that run on Super NES emulators, and presumably the system itself. I won't link to them, but Google "A&S NES hack" and they'll pop right up.

I know, I know, this isn't the place for this discussion, but still. Reminds me of the time I found a Turbografx-16 game online that was actually 15 VIC-20 (old-ass computer) games crammed onto a HuCard.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 AM
-ryn

Josh, age 8, in the 20/20 report claimed birdo shoots eggs out of his nose.

That is clearly a MOUTH. Where is the journalistic integrity? I demand John Stossel resign his post!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Yeah, people just didn't understand back then how technology works. They thought the 2600 would have an infinite lifespan, when it was designed as a more versatile Pong machine that probably should never have survived past the 1970s. (It made it to the 1990s, due to a combination of factors including an established user base, inexpensive hardware, and the Tramiels' desperation to compete with Nintendo.)
I remember having to explain this to my grandfather, who bought a TV that lasted for 20 years, a washing machine that lasted for 30, etc. But I understand how he felt. It breaks my heart a little to see perfectly functional devices cast aside after a year or two because the latest and greatest is out, even though I do it myself. It just seems wasteful.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Space Prez

Also, let's be frank; video games did fuck us up.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Highway To HFIL

Video games fucked us up in the same way that literally every other stimulus we experienced fucked us up and prevented us from being perfect human beings that just float around naked and fondly regard creation.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Armor Guardian

Quote:
I've heard that the Super NES was potentially compatible with the NES, in the same way the Genesis was backward compatible with the Master System. All it was missing was the cartridge slot. Sega offered one for the Genesis, but for whatever reason, Nintendo wasn't interested in following suit.
From a hardware design perspective, the NES and SNES have a lot of similarities, but there are a number of differences. They probably intended for some form of backwards compatibility, but as the hardware design evolved its likely that they realized the how impractical it would be to implement.

They might have been able to make it play Donkey Kong, but having it play all the games on this page (not an exhaustive list), or any game using more advanced mappers like the MMC3 (quite common) or MMC5 (Castlevania 3) would have required keeping far too much detritus from the NES's quirky design, which would have likely hamstrung the SNES's capabilities as well.

At the very least, NES -> SNES sourceports are relatively trivial from a programmer's perspective, as the 65816 was a successor to the 6502. Code relating to audio and raster effects would have to be heavily refactored, but that's to be expected.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Just bear with me

Thanks for the input, RT. Were there any other systems that used the Super NES's 65816 processor? I think there was the Apple IIgs and that was about it.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Back to the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
It breaks my heart a little to see perfectly functional devices cast aside after a year or two because the latest and greatest is out, even though I do it myself. It just seems wasteful.
I'm confused you don't use your SNES anymore?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkirou View Post
I'm confused you don't use your SNES anymore?
I've never owned my own! My poor Super Game Boy sits lonely on the shelf.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-55J View Post
From a hardware design perspective, the NES and SNES have a lot of similarities, but there are a number of differences. They probably intended for some form of backwards compatibility, but as the hardware design evolved its likely that they realized the how impractical it would be to implement.

They might have been able to make it play Donkey Kong, but having it play all the games on this page (not an exhaustive list), or any game using more advanced mappers like the MMC3 (quite common) or MMC5 (Castlevania 3) would have required keeping far too much detritus from the NES's quirky design, which would have likely hamstrung the SNES's capabilities as well.

At the very least, NES -> SNES sourceports are relatively trivial from a programmer's perspective, as the 65816 was a successor to the 6502. Code relating to audio and raster effects would have to be heavily refactored, but that's to be expected.
Thought I read somewhere that incorporating NES compatibility was possible, but not to do in time and within budget.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 AM
More than two problems

Quote:
As for games corrupting children, that whole gate business suggests that maybe the concerned parents groups weren't TOO far off the mark...
Parent groups were worried about something else back then, they never could have foreseen this. They were more concerned about some weird nebulous fog of radiation they seemed to think was attached to the very idea of videogames on a cosmic level. (And that is more or less what they thought it was.)
Nobody would have ever been right about games corrupting people if the industry had been responsible enough to know better than to target teenagers en masse. That's why "gamers" are such sacks of shit; being edgy and hateful is baked into the bones of adolescence. Trying to create a community around that demographic only succeeds in importing the infinite hellscape of high school culture, and all the baggage that comes with it.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:14 AM
heh

Love that they've got footage of the Dragon Quest III release in there

And notice how many girls are just as excited about the NES as the boys are? Videogames used to be such gender agnostic pasttime!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
And notice how many girls are just as excited about the NES as the boys are? Videogames used to be such gender agnostic pasttime!
Same with Lego.