The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Thwomp Boyardee
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,955
Default That darn Nintendo machine is ruining our kids!



It's funny watching all the confusion about this newfangled technology and the worrying over the children (braindead!). I'd say that, by and large, we've turned out okay.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Red Silvers's Avatar
Red Silvers Red Silvers is offline
That Pokemon Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,422
Default

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,118
Default

I will always love that people were scandalized by the fact that you had to buy Nintendo's new console to play their new games. Why shouldn't I be able to play this "F-Zero" on my good old NES? Did I wake up in Russia this morning?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 AM
Red Silvers's Avatar
Red Silvers Red Silvers is offline
That Pokemon Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,422
Default

Atari had to go through that first.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Googleshng's Avatar
Googleshng Googleshng is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 15,631
Default

I love how hard that 20/20 piece pushes that cyberpunk terror of being enslaved by our Japanese overlords.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 AM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,118
Default

And then the denouement is John Stossel telling Barbara Walters, "These games are actually rad as hell; I was up all last night gettin' down on some City Connection."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:52 AM
ArugulaZ's Avatar
ArugulaZ ArugulaZ is offline
Just bear with me
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,118
Default

Yeah, people just didn't understand back then how technology works. They thought the 2600 would have an infinite lifespan, when it was designed as a more versatile Pong machine that probably should never have survived past the 1970s. (It made it to the 1990s, due to a combination of factors including an established user base, inexpensive hardware, and the Tramiels' desperation to compete with Nintendo.)

I've heard that the Super NES was potentially compatible with the NES, in the same way the Genesis was backward compatible with the Master System. All it was missing was the cartridge slot. Sega offered one for the Genesis, but for whatever reason, Nintendo wasn't interested in following suit. *

* I'm researching this just to be sure. There's a third-party adapter for the Super NES that plays NES games, but I'm not certain if it's just a cartridge port or an NES on a chip.

As for games corrupting children, that whole gate business suggests that maybe the concerned parents groups weren't TOO far off the mark...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 AM
David Cartoon's Avatar
David Cartoon David Cartoon is offline
The Blue Hat Returns!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 932
Default

I was just going to mention that...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 AM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is offline
EMOJO JOJO
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Green chile cheeseburger capital of the world
Posts: 8,460
Default

Actually the 3rd-party NES adapter has most of the NES internals (or at least simulacra thereof) in the cartridge itself. They've even recently come out with a similar thing for Genesis games. Yeah. I know.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 AM
ArugulaZ's Avatar
ArugulaZ ArugulaZ is offline
Just bear with me
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,118
Default

Hmm, I was afraid you'd say that. It still doesn't explain the hacks of early NES games (Donkey Kong, Golf, etc) that run on Super NES emulators, and presumably the system itself. I won't link to them, but Google "A&S NES hack" and they'll pop right up.

I know, I know, this isn't the place for this discussion, but still. Reminds me of the time I found a Turbografx-16 game online that was actually 15 VIC-20 (old-ass computer) games crammed onto a HuCard.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,401
Default

Josh, age 8, in the 20/20 report claimed birdo shoots eggs out of his nose.

That is clearly a MOUTH. Where is the journalistic integrity? I demand John Stossel resign his post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Excitemike's Avatar
Excitemike Excitemike is offline
Space Prez
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Yeah, people just didn't understand back then how technology works. They thought the 2600 would have an infinite lifespan, when it was designed as a more versatile Pong machine that probably should never have survived past the 1970s. (It made it to the 1990s, due to a combination of factors including an established user base, inexpensive hardware, and the Tramiels' desperation to compete with Nintendo.)
I remember having to explain this to my grandfather, who bought a TV that lasted for 20 years, a washing machine that lasted for 30, etc. But I understand how he felt. It breaks my heart a little to see perfectly functional devices cast aside after a year or two because the latest and greatest is out, even though I do it myself. It just seems wasteful.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Excitemike's Avatar
Excitemike Excitemike is offline
Space Prez
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,817
Default

Also, let's be frank; video games did fuck us up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,389
Default

Video games fucked us up in the same way that literally every other stimulus we experienced fucked us up and prevented us from being perfect human beings that just float around naked and fondly regard creation.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM
RT-55J's Avatar
RT-55J RT-55J is offline
Armor Guardian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 1,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I've heard that the Super NES was potentially compatible with the NES, in the same way the Genesis was backward compatible with the Master System. All it was missing was the cartridge slot. Sega offered one for the Genesis, but for whatever reason, Nintendo wasn't interested in following suit.
From a hardware design perspective, the NES and SNES have a lot of similarities, but there are a number of differences. They probably intended for some form of backwards compatibility, but as the hardware design evolved its likely that they realized the how impractical it would be to implement.

They might have been able to make it play Donkey Kong, but having it play all the games on this page (not an exhaustive list), or any game using more advanced mappers like the MMC3 (quite common) or MMC5 (Castlevania 3) would have required keeping far too much detritus from the NES's quirky design, which would have likely hamstrung the SNES's capabilities as well.

At the very least, NES -> SNES sourceports are relatively trivial from a programmer's perspective, as the 65816 was a successor to the 6502. Code relating to audio and raster effects would have to be heavily refactored, but that's to be expected.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 PM
ArugulaZ's Avatar
ArugulaZ ArugulaZ is offline
Just bear with me
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,118
Default

Thanks for the input, RT. Were there any other systems that used the Super NES's 65816 processor? I think there was the Apple IIgs and that was about it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Shinkirou's Avatar
Shinkirou Shinkirou is offline
Back to the beginning
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: McAlester
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
It breaks my heart a little to see perfectly functional devices cast aside after a year or two because the latest and greatest is out, even though I do it myself. It just seems wasteful.
I'm confused you don't use your SNES anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Excitemike's Avatar
Excitemike Excitemike is offline
Space Prez
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkirou View Post
I'm confused you don't use your SNES anymore?
I've never owned my own! My poor Super Game Boy sits lonely on the shelf.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM
LBD_Nytetrayn's Avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn LBD_Nytetrayn is offline
..and his little cat, too
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-55J View Post
From a hardware design perspective, the NES and SNES have a lot of similarities, but there are a number of differences. They probably intended for some form of backwards compatibility, but as the hardware design evolved its likely that they realized the how impractical it would be to implement.

They might have been able to make it play Donkey Kong, but having it play all the games on this page (not an exhaustive list), or any game using more advanced mappers like the MMC3 (quite common) or MMC5 (Castlevania 3) would have required keeping far too much detritus from the NES's quirky design, which would have likely hamstrung the SNES's capabilities as well.

At the very least, NES -> SNES sourceports are relatively trivial from a programmer's perspective, as the 65816 was a successor to the 6502. Code relating to audio and raster effects would have to be heavily refactored, but that's to be expected.
Thought I read somewhere that incorporating NES compatibility was possible, but not to do in time and within budget.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Dart Zaidyer's Avatar
Dart Zaidyer Dart Zaidyer is offline
More than two problems
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free Country USA
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
As for games corrupting children, that whole gate business suggests that maybe the concerned parents groups weren't TOO far off the mark...
Parent groups were worried about something else back then, they never could have foreseen this. They were more concerned about some weird nebulous fog of radiation they seemed to think was attached to the very idea of videogames on a cosmic level. (And that is more or less what they thought it was.)
Nobody would have ever been right about games corrupting people if the industry had been responsible enough to know better than to target teenagers en masse. That's why "gamers" are such sacks of shit; being edgy and hateful is baked into the bones of adolescence. Trying to create a community around that demographic only succeeds in importing the infinite hellscape of high school culture, and all the baggage that comes with it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-27-2015, 01:14 AM
teekun's Avatar
teekun teekun is offline
heh
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,105
Default

Love that they've got footage of the Dragon Quest III release in there

And notice how many girls are just as excited about the NES as the boys are? Videogames used to be such gender agnostic pasttime!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Safe Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Posts: 14,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
And notice how many girls are just as excited about the NES as the boys are? Videogames used to be such gender agnostic pasttime!
Same with Lego.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007