The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default Talking Dogs and Mystery Solving Teens: Here are Talking Times 50 Favorite Cartoons!

Howdy, you chuckle-Heads!

This time, the Talking Time Democracy Engine spun its wheels and decided VIA POPULAR VOTE what the fifty best cartoons are! And then they fed those choices to Mr. FelixSH, who was enough of a good sport to count them and tell me what the top fifty choices were. And now I'm telling you, one at a time! It's a VERY efficient system!

Anyway; the basic criteria we were using here is;

1. Has to be cartoons. Muppets don't count, because they are real people! Coily The Spring-Sprite would have counted, but he only showed up once, and therefor he runs afoul of...

2. Needs to have at least five episodes. Otherwise movies would count, and that would be silly.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the rest of this post blank so I can put quick links to the top fifty AS THEY ARE REVEALED!

Also, there are two things tied for fiftieth, so I'm letting both in. I am a generous fellow.

50. Paranoia Agent
50. FLCL
49. Bojack Horseman
48. Talespin
48. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
45. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)
45. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
44. Sealab 2021
44. Pinky and The Brain
44. Home Movies
41. King of the Hill
41. Invader Zim
39. Rick and Morty
37. Neon Genesis Evangelion
37. Dexters Labratory
36. The Real Ghostbusters
35. Daria
34. Over the Garden Wall
33. Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers
32. American Dad
31. Clone High
30. Superman: The Animated Series
29. Bobs Burgers
28. Sailor Moon
27. Rockos Modern Life
26. Samurai Jack
25. The Tick
24. Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
23. The Powerpuff Girls
22. Gargoyles
21. South Park
20. Tiny Toon Adventures
19. Darkwing Duck
18. The Critic
17. Archer
16. Ren & Stimpy
15. Homestar Runner
14. Avatar: Legend of Korra
13. Justice League
12. Animaniacs
11. Adventure Time
10. Gravity Falls
09. Duck Tales
08. Avatar: The Last Airbender
07. Cowboy Bebop
06. Looney Tunes
05. The Venture Brothers
04. Steven Universe
03. Futurama
02. The Simpsons
01. Yo Yogi

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 08-24-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

50. PARANOIA AGENT (76 Points)
The whole world is about to end, and all because of a goddamned puppy!

February-May 2004
13 Episodes
Mystery Solving Teens: Yes!
Talking Animals: Not really

Oh man, we're starting the list with an anime I ain't never even heard of. This doesn't bode well at all! Luckily, our own Mr. Dr.Jones set me straight;

Quote:
paranoia agent is about a kid in rollerblades who hits people with a baseball bat as a metaphor for stuff
So there we have it!

Specifically, it's about a kid on roller blades named "L'il Slugger" who cruises around Tokyo, looking for people in trouble. Specifically, the specific kind of trouble that can only be solved if they are beaten severely by a golden baseball bat. To quote Wikipedia; "Maniwa becomes convinced that Lil' Slugger is a supernatural force, driven to rescue the desperate from their tragedies through violence."

So... obviously there's some anime that needs watching.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

50. FLCL (76 Points)

Eri Ninamori: Why is that thing eating? What is it anyway?
Kamon Nandaba: That's just our TV.
Eri Ninamori: Why is it walking?
Kamon Nandaba: Well, uh, it must be a TV-Walkman.
Eri Ninamori: Sony brand?

2000-2001
6 Episodes
Mystery Solving Teens: Kinda?
Talking Animals: Kinda Not

And here's the other one. Way to vote for stuff I actually need to do research on, Talking Time. Yeesh. Mr. Doctor Jones once again came to my rescue;

Quote:
flcl is about a girl in a playboy bunny outfit who hits people with a bass guitar as a metaphor for stuff
In this case, the girl is a secret space-cop who runs over Typical Anime Teen and, instead of giving him a compound fracture or anything like that, causes a sub-space portal to open in his head, which causes alien robots to start invading the Earth. And which she then thwarts by striking them with a Rickenbacker guitar.

So, once again, there's obviously some anime I need to already be watching.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Was this a tie? And what are the points? EDIT: Oh, there they are.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I voted for both of these animes!

This bodes well?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

49. Bojack Horseman (77 Points)
"I went to the stock market today. I did a business."

2014-Present
25 episodes
Mystery Solving Teens: Almost!
Talking Animals: Very much so, thank you for noticing!

Bojack Horseman was the star of the hit 90s sitcom Horsin' Around, about a single dad adopting three precocious orphans. And, in the ensuing few decades, he still desperately clings to the last vestiges of his brief popularity, after he's been relegated to the Sad Former TV Star status of celebrity.

Most of the series is based around Bojack trying to reinvent himself and become popular once again, and inevitably ruining his every chance at happiness due to his awful personality and career defining role. It's a comedy, but you kind of cry more than laugh.

Oh, also, most of the cast are talking animals. Didn't mention that before.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Mystery Contraption

48. Talespin (78 Points)
If it's got wings I can fly it! Sometimes even if it doesn't.

1990-1991
65 Episodes
Mystery Solving Teens: Sadly not
Talking Animals: Yes

Mark Zaslove and Jymn Mago woke up one morning in the late 1980s and looked at their library of older Disney movies,seeing what would be suitable for a revival. And one of them said "Hey, The Jungle Book. Let's make that an adventure series about air pirates! And Baloo can be an ace pilot! And Shere Kahn is Lex Luthor!" Also, they threw in a bit of Cheers, for good measure.

And some ideas are simply gold from the moment they are conceived.

Also, one of the bad guys is named "Don Karnage", and that's just an excellent name for a villain

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 07-10-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

48. Spider-Man: The Animated Series (78 Points)
This sounds like a really bad comic book story

1994-1998
65 Episodes
Mystery Solving Teens: I think Peter was in his 20s in this, so no.
Talking Animals: Does The Lizard count?

Back in the early 90s, Superhero cartoons were almost as much of an instant-hit as they are today. Especially on Fox. And, since X-Men and Batman were already doing pretty well, they figured they might as well also make a Spider-Man cartoon.

But they also didn't want to spend very much money or encourage any anti-social behavior, so they filled it with reused animation, flash-backs and stock-footage and employed an almost Superfriends-level of non-violence, where a villain was considered defeated if they were tied to a wall. And because we were all dumb when we were kids, this worked astoundingly well. Every kid in my class was running home after school because HOLY CRAP, VENOM WAS COMING! And it's a THREE PARTER!

And to get around Fox not wanting violence, director Bob Richardson just expanded everything to ridiculous extremes; criminals couldn't carry guns, but they could carry laser rifles. No one could throw a punch, but they could throw a grenade. No one died, but black-holes were startlingly easy to make. And Fox didn't want serialized stories, so he made everything 10-parters. It's subterfuge like that I can't help but respect.

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 07-10-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM

Somehow, Shere Kahn in Talespin is cooler than Shere Kahn in The Jungle Book. Probably helps that he isn't defeated by a boy in a red sarong who ties a flaming branch to his tail. Would make for an interesting boardroom scene though.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

But they also didn't want to spend very much money or encourage any anti-social behavior, so they filled it with reused animation, flash-backs and stock-footage and employed an almost Superfriends-level of non-violence, where a villain was considered defeated if they were tied to a wall.
This was a show that somehow both tried hard but also had abundant amounts of "whatever". Not only did they reuse animation, but they would play and rewind video quickly to make dudes talk, looping them like a little gif. Also, there was that one season finale where during the big showdown, they showed scenes OUT OF ORDER and no one bothered to fix it.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

46. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (79 Points)
I don't know, April, the Shredder may play rough, he may play dirty, but he don't play dead.

2003-2009
157 Episodes (and a movie)
Mystery Solving Teens: They were taught to be so
Talking Animals: The title seems to imply it rather strongly.

Ever since Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird had the silliest idea ever for a indie-comic and wound up unexpectedly making All The Money In the World when it inexplicably became unbelievably popular with tiny children, history was forever altered in such a way as to guarantee we would always have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. And, for my money, this is the best one; trying the goofy, toyetic 90s cartoon with the darker, more story driven Mirage comics.

And it worked beautifully.

The show not only looked to the core of the story for inspiration (several pet store turtles become human-sized ninjas and work at thwarting an ancient ninja criminal empire based out of New York, and also deal with brain-like aliens on a regular basis. Pretty standard stuff) and expanded it into multiple directions at every chance they got; whether enrolling the Turtles into a multi-versal fighting tournament for a Enter the Dragon homage, or sending them to the future to fight aliens for a season, the show never really stopped to catch its breath.

Also, one episode implied that Jack Kirby was sent, via magical crystal, to live in Asgard for the rest of his life, after all his drawings started coming to life, and another episode focused on the villain Baxter Stockman, steadily going crazy after his new clone-body starts rotting away. Which I believe didn't air in the US, but Canadian children are a heartier breed.

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 07-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:53 PM

OK, I'm starting to get confused. TMNT 2000's edition got 70 points but made it further than series with higher numbers? Or did you hit 0 instead of 9?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, sorry, that was a typo
Old 07-10-2016, 05:39 PM
#deadfish2017

This list is jack already!!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Hey cool, a thing I voted on is already appearing. That's exciting. Although I don't really know what to add to the description of Talespin, other than its goofball premise hid a lot of charm.

Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't vote for FLCL or Paranoia Agent though. My list is light but not completely devoid of anime, and yet those are two super important and well animated ones I'd highly recommend to anyone.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:46 PM
just ignore my posts

Octo, you'll like FLCL, but be prepared for the last episode to make little sense. I find most people need more than one re-watching.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:15 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Shouldn't TMNT be #46?
Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Numbers are hard!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Ruffian

Talespin was my #5, but it wasn't the highest-ranked Disney Afternoon show on my list.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:51 PM

OK, based on the adjustment of numbers, now it looks like Turtles is number 47. So, yeah, numbers is hard.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Zen-vergonha

Democracy works! I voted both for Paranoia Agent and FLCL. Paranoia Agent was #2 on my list! In my mind it is the number one animated series, but in my heart it is a popular anime from the 80's, and i went with the heart.

Dr. Jones description is very funny.

Quote:
Octo, you'll like FLCL, but be prepared for the last episode to make little sense. I find most people need more than one re-watching.
This is true, but, like Evangelion, the nitty gritty of the plot of FLCL isn't that important - you can make sense of it if you want, but the heart of the show is in the characters. And crazy animation. Though you might be lost in the character development too, i think. Oh well.

FLCL was #21 on my list. To me it is like Abbey Road: i have every detail memorized, but i keep coming back to it.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I remember liking the 90s Spidey cartoon as a kiddo. It's been long enough that I can't remember if it was any good, and I've never watched any of the toons since, but the voice of... uh...

*googles*

Christopher Barnes is still the default voice for Peter Parker all these years later, even after half a dozen live action movies, which I guess works out since imdb tells me he's covered Spider-Man duties multiple times since.

Anyway, the real jewel to come out of 90s Spider-Man was the Spider-Man Cartoon Maker, an actual piece of CD-ROM software that actually existed.

I used to own a copy.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Is there not one thing

The 90s spider-man cartoon is like stepping in warm dogshit just runny enough that you momentarily lose your footing
Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 PM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

Anyway, the real jewel to come out of 90s Spider-Man was the Spider-Man Cartoon Maker, an actual piece of CD-ROM software that actually existed.
This was my jam when I was a kid.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:50 PM
who's she

Oh yeah, I need to watch Bojack Horseman. I keep forgetting.

Paranoia Agent is a psychological horror anthology linked together by the idea of urban legends coming to life. Directed by one of the greats, Satoshi Kon, in his only TV outing, it's not as good as his movies and is pretty uneven, but it has his characteristic fluid reality and deceptive directing tricks. One memorable episode is presented as if it's a DVD extra for a fictional anime, stopping to explain how anime is produced even as the staff is being stalked and killed.

FLCL is a surreal coming-of-age story and probably the best thing Gainax ever made. The plot involves a giant iron smoothing out the wrinkles in peoples' brains. Don't expect it to make sense, but the imagery is great and at six episodes, it doesn't wear out its welcome.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Spin it!

Tale Spin's pilot was some pretty great adventure storying.

Also, is the TMNT entry for all of them, or does the 80s version still have a shot at appearing?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post

Also, is the TMNT entry for all of them, or does the 80s version still have a shot at appearing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime
2003-2009
157 Episodes (and a movie)
Mystery Solving Teens: They were taught to be so
Talking Animals: The title seems to imply it rather strongly.
Also, that's a lot of episode. Not as many as the 80's/early-mid 90's but still.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

I was surprised too; hadn't really realized it was on so long. Long enough for two title changes, in fact.

Also, the slight weirding of the numbers is due to there being another tie, so do not plague yourself with too much worry.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:53 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
OK, based on the adjustment of numbers, now it looks like Turtles is number 47. So, yeah, numbers is hard.
That's not how ties work.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
That's not how ties work.
I would have thought so, but it went from 50 to 49, whereas the Spidey/Talespin went from 48 to 46. I confused.

Tags
animation , animeshaming , cartoon tribalism , democracy in action , disney afternoon , dynomutt appreciation , elevator go down the hole , fur; the origin stories , god-king tartakovsky , i want to dive lost mind , illusion of movement , it's bottled in pensacola , let's get dangerous , life is like a hurricane , shooting on twos , spin it spin it spin it , sudden tmbg digression , top 50 countdown , yo yogi is best cartoon