The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Falselogic's Spoilerific Halloween Movie Mania Madness 2016

I'm way behind on the horror genre. Way behind. I didn't see Alien until I was in college. I've still never seen a single Halloween, Friday the 13th, or Nightmare on Elm Street movie.

In the most haphazard of ways I've been trying to catch up to everyone. In the recently rezzed Hallowen Movie thread I asked people for recoes and got back a lot of good responses.

This October I will be watching a Horror/Halloween movie every day of the month. I'll be putting down my thoughts and impressions here.

There will be spoilers so there you go youve been warned. I don't know what all I will be watching. I only have the vaguest of lists right now.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM
noble beast

Entries in those franchises I have not seen: Halloween II (remake), NOES (remake), AVP: Requiem

I'm probably good... AVP did come with its sequel when I just bought it, though.

Friday and NOES have excellent, long-as-hell documentaries about them made in the past few years which you might check out when you're done. Or not!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default October 1 - Don't Breathe

This movie is something else. The entire lengths of the movie I kept guessing where it was going only to have them get there way before the end of the movie.

The movie just keeps escalating for the entire run. And I kept getting more anxious.

Lots of good foreshadowing, and misdirection. Not so good use of magical movement by the blind man. He is slow and staggering on camera but there are several times that he seems to be able to move lightning fast and without a sound if required by the plot.

The movie is totally ruined by the rape scene in the middle of it. The fact that its with a turkey baster and recently unfrozen sperm makes it so much worse. The vet literally says, "I'm not a rapist" as he goes about the process of raping the main protagonist. UGH. Nearly ruins the entire film and could have been left out.

They kept almost killing Alex so many times that I really thought he was going to make it at the end...

I can't say I enjoyed the film, aforementioned anxiety/tension, but I don't think it was bad. Outside of the rape scene. Fuck that was awful.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default October 2 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)

This was not an easy film to watch. A lot of old silent films aren't. The story doesn't lend itself to the genre. There are A LOT of intertitles that try to keep the viewer up to speed. Despite those by the end of the movie I still wasn't clear on who all the characters were or what role they played in the story.

If it wasn't for Lon Chaney and Patsy Ruth Miller the movie would be unwatchable. Both of them though do a great job of emoting that any time they're on the screen its a joy to watch. Chaney's makeup is stunning and I really wish the film quality was good enough that we could see it with more detail...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Video World 12-2 is out!

i recommend using spoilerpops so people can read about the films they want to and avoid spoilers for ones they haven't seen
Old 10-03-2016, 06:26 PM

Spoiler warning is in the thread title and OP. Anyone too nervous simply can't read this thread. It has a built-in self-isolating component for maximized journaling of cinematic product consumption and subsequent evaluation. The system cannot be defeated.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default October 3 - Halloween (1978)

That theme song. So good. Also, the first shot is that a single take? It looks like a single take until the mask comes off and the camera angles out to reveal that the killer was just a little kid. If it wasn't then there was some very good editing being done.

Anyway, this movie is a very slow burn and incredibly tame. Almost no blood at all. Except for some breasts this movie would never be R rated today. Still, the movie does a great job of building up to the violence. It's 2/3 over before someone else is killed.

I probably need more context to understand why this movie is so important.

It was good. But I imagine it was scarier to audiences in 1981.

I do like how Carpenter tries to address some of the obvious questions without actually doing so. How do Myers learn to drive? He doesn't tell us but the Doctor asks the same question to the Head of the Mental Institute. I appreciate little things like that.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 AM
#deadfish2017

It's important because there were no movies like it before, and a lot of movies like it after.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
It's important because there were no movies like it before, and a lot of movies like it after.
This was the first sexy teens die film?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Not quite. Black Christmas and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were both '74, among other plenty of movies that are considered to be in the vein of "slasher" films now. Halloween is just the first movie that turned it into a huge, profitable genre. For a very long time it was the movie with the highest cost/profit ratio - possibly up until Blair Witch?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Not quite. Black Christmas and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were both '74, among other plenty of movies that are considered to be in the vein of "slasher" films now. Halloween is just the first movie that turned it into a huge, profitable genre. For a very long time it was the movie with the highest cost/profit ratio - possibly up until Blair Witch?
Ive enver seen Chainsaw Massacre either. It is up for viewing this month!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
noble beast

I find Black Christmas a much less distressing film to watch than A Christmas Story. (Bob Clark directed both)
Old 10-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Halloween is a perfect example of mastery overcoming a lack of resources. The Shape is one of the all-time great film antagonists.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Halloween is a perfect example of mastery overcoming a lack of resources. The Shape is one of the all-time great film antagonists.
who is the Shape?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
who is the Shape?
The Shape is the name for Michael Myers under his mask in the script and credits.

e: It fits in with what Loomis says about him being evil. Loomis' speech about evil, the ending with The Shape disappearing after being shot, all suggest that "Michael Myers" is just a name given to something utterly inhuman.

e2: Which in turn is part of the slasher genre's trend towards conservatism. A child killer must be inhuman, else he could not kill.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 PM

I liked Halloween when it was called [any Dario Argento movie]

HA! Where would John Carpenter be with out giallo !?

Giallo!

America is the story of immigrants. This country is nothing without foreign culture. Carpenter owes Italy his entire career.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

Giallo!

America is the story of immigrants. This country is nothing without foreign culture. Carpenter owes Italy his entire career.
Never heard of him...
Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 PM
noble beast

I forgot how brutal this was. (pretty!)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM
100% All Original

Quote:

Giallo!

Fun fact: the only Dario Argento movie I've seen is Dracula. I understand that this gives me a very skewed perspective on Dario Argento as a filmmaker. (Dracula is garbage.)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:

Giallo!

Oh, he made Suspiria. That was a pretty good film. Very stylish.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default October 4 - The Fog (1980)

Turns out I've seen this movie before! But the only part of it I remembered was that Jamie Lee Curtis slept with a complete stranger. Much like Halloween is movie is also a slow burn. But I think it keeps a better pace and build up than Halloween.

The idea of ghost leper/pirates returning on the 100th anniversary of their death by betrayal to seek revenge on the town that did it to them is great. The visuals are well done too. I was only disappointed in the monsters at the very end when you see one of them clearly and it just looks hokey. Much better when theyre in the fog and shadows.

I also appreciated the coast. I recognized it almost immediately as NorCal's. Made me very much want to drive out there this weekend and just take it in.

I think I'm going to watch the remake tonight and see how it compares?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:53 AM
#deadfish2017

Don't forget to pick up the action figure!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:40 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
I think that the slasher boom actually started with Friday the 13th. That's when you started to see tons of those movies coming out.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:31 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

excited for the inevitable Hausu impressions.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:25 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Yessss Hausu

if you haven't seen them, you really, really need to watch the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead

as far as the Nightmare series goes, you can just watch the original A Nightmare On Elm Street and then immediately follow it up with Wes Craven's New Nightmare.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:44 PM
OUT HERE SHINING

While I'm obviously CRAZY HYPE for Hausu I'm holding out hope that The Shining and Evil Dead 2.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Mystery Contraption

Hausu may be my favorite movie where the day is almost saved by a pair of disembodied legs kicking a cat in the face
Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Yessss Hausu

if you haven't seen them, you really, really need to watch the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead

as far as the Nightmare series goes, you can just watch the original A Nightmare On Elm Street and then immediately follow it up with Wes Craven's New Nightmare.
But also Dream Warriors. Important: get the VHS tape with the Dokken video before the movie.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default October 5 - The Fog (2005)

I wanted to like this film. I think I vaguely recall seeing it on TV at some point in the past and enjoyed it. But that was a hard thing to do what with having seen the original just 24 hours previously.

The movie just seems packed with unnecessary padding that adds nothing to the story and then goes overboard in making sure the viewer understands exactly what that story is. Some examples - Elizabeth being some sort of reincarnation of one of the people killed in the shipfire adds nothings, the harbormaster getting leprosy and having his dogs killed, the mama drama with Elizabeth and her mom, the inclusion of the writing on the wall from the Book of Daniel. And then there's all the flashbacks and explanations yadda yadda. It's just not adding anything.

It's funny that they moved they set the movie in "Oregon" when I could immediately tell that it was filmed in British Columbia. I'm sorry those two places do not look the same and anyone can tell. Also, BC's coasts are not as haunting or as beautiful as California's... The establishing shots lose out because of this. Shots of the "island" also look fake because it is... They also do the lazy blue filter thing to make the shot look like its in the early evening or morning. This is fine and almost believable if the beachcomber wasnt wearing sunglasses in each of these scenes!?

Oh and the deaths were so over the top that it just became ridiculous.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I forgot how brutal this was. (pretty!)
Is that incessant music in all versions? Because I remember loving that scene, but now that music is bugging me. It's like in mid-80's Leonard Cohen albums where there is just too much damned production.

But man, when that puppet comes out, that is so freaky and dreamlike.

Also, I love one death scene near the end that reaches Looney Tunes levels of over the topness.

Tags
flawgic is wrong