PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime 3, Pt. 2: Bryyo and Elysia

Parish
08-28-2007, 12:58 PM
It's the second part of the game. Also the longest! I think. I'm not done yet. The plot thickens somewhat toward the end of Elysia, so please be mindful of story spoilers.

SamuelMarston
08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I always fancied a Metroid game with multiple planets. This really seems to do it better than Hunters did. So far each of the worlds actually feels distinct and alive. I'm still adjusting to the controls, not so much in their methods but the little details. It feels strange to me that Samus auto centers her vision to the horizon if you don't continue to "push" the screen upward.

And what's this advanced control option that people are talking about? Are we talking about Lock On/Free Look? Because that was on by default for me.

EDIT: Oh, I found the Advanced Sensitivity.

I also seem to be stuck in the Grand Court in Bryyo. I don't have the tech to raise the Golem from the floor, or to manipulate the nodes hanging from the ceiling. Further in is a canyon with another node that I can't use yet. Help?

ringworm
08-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I can't believe that I'm stuck this early in the game...

In Bryyo after getting the Ice Missles you head back to Cliffside Airdock and start heading to a second landing site in that area, presumably I'm here to get a weapons upgrade for my ship. Anyway I'm in a vertical room called "Ruined Shrine" and its obvious I'm supposed to climb higher by knocking out supports for various pillars. Anyway I cannot get this last pillar to fall, I'm staring across this pit trying to figure out how to get across. I think there's only one more vine thing holding the pillar in place but I can't figure out where to shoot it to get it to start a chain reaction.

Also, assuming you haven't figure it out yet, if where you are is where I think you are, SamuelMarston, then you need the grappling beam for actual grappling, you need to look for a little hole to bomb right before the pit.

EDIT: Hah, nevermind, I guess I just needed 5 minutes away to see it. Classic Metroid.

noots
08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
SamuelMartson:

Go to that second canyon that you mention. Bomb a rock near the entrance to get across the chasm via morph ball. There you'll find what you need ...

ringworm
08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
So I just destroyed the first generator on Bryyo, and so far this game has essentially fixed everything that pissed me off about Echoes. The level design actually feels understandable and yet there's plenty of nice hidden crap and things I know I'lll need to backtrack for. I really like the ship as a replacement for elevators. For whatever reason it helps me navigate things a lot easier.

They also fixed my single biggest problem with Echoes, which was that getting powerups didn't actually help you fight things, it just opened up new passageways. I can't say the game keeps up the trend, but at least with Ice Missles getting them not only let me open new doors and such, but I'm now significantly more effective in standard battles. I absolutely love freezing guys and then shattering them.

Speaking of Ice Missiles, I really enjoyed the first boss fight with the ice-powered Hunter. I still wasn't quite used to the controls yet at that point, and it was a really good learning experience. It really took me about 4 hours before I was completely solid on the controls, and now I can't imagine going back to the original Prime control scheme. Wiimote ergonomic issues aside (and christ after 4 hours without a break did my hand hurt) the control scheme makes me feel like a complete badass. I think the main problem with the wiimote is that in the heat of battle I tend to grip it harder than I should...

I like the pseudo-achievements thing too, in a lot of ways they're better than actual 360 Achievements because they allow me to unlock things! Even if they're things that I only moderately care about! Bobblehead excluded, of course.

I was really worried after the first two set-piece areas, I really wasn't feeling the Metroid vibe, but man, once you land on Bryyo...it was like coming home again.

SamuelMarston
08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Also, assuming you haven't figure it out yet, if where you are is where I think you are, SamuelMarston, then you need the grappling beam for actual grappling, you need to look for a little hole to bomb right before the pit.

EDIT: Hah, nevermind, I guess I just needed 5 minutes away to see it. Classic Metroid.

Same here. As soon as I posted and powered down my computer for the night, I scanned one last time and saw it. Thanks for the tips guys!

noots
08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Just finished Bryyo. I'm surprised I've only died a couple of times. The boss battles are still epic, but there's way less die-and-restart than past Primes. Even so, Mogenar was a doozy.

The-Bavis
08-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Same here. As soon as I posted and powered down my computer for the night, I scanned one last time and saw it. Thanks for the tips guys!

I had the very same problem in the very same location. I also found the solution after some unrelated wandering. Hopefully that will be my only run-in with this type of brain cramp that I have had big problems with in every Prime game so far!

ringworm
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Finished Bryyo and made some headway into Elysia. Got the seemingly pointless Corruption Ball thingee, the Boost Ball, and the Plasma Beam. The Plasma Beam, by the way, continues the welcome trend of giving you weapons that open up new paths but also kick ass in combat. No stupid Temple Keys this time!

One thing I noticed after getting the Plasma Beam is that robot enemies you previous had to grapple onto and yank to destroy, now you can melt their fucking asses. This rules because it rewards me for my progress by not only making me more powerful but by saving me time and effort when I backtrack.

Screw Attack is presumably next! I love the Screw Attack!

Parish
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
The one issue I had with the plasma beam is that the beam visual is so large it's hard to tell what you're actually hitting. It made riding those stupid ziplines into a living hell.

But melting those robots' asses is pretty awesome.

Andrew
08-29-2007, 11:39 PM
"Ice missiles" just seems so weird and silly, compared to a separate freeze beam, for whatever reason. I guess we can "blame" Fusion for that, though, but it's neat that you don't have to switch to them, they're just there.

Shortly after I acquired the ice missiles and had to get over hot lava, I expected to have to freeze those baddies jumping out of the lava to make a platform (similar to the floating turtles and baddies jumping out of lava back in the 2d games, and it was frustrating since they jumped out and landed back in so quickly. Then I aimed really low, shot the lava, and saw that it made an ice platform like when you dropped a water jug in water in Wind Waker. Doh! I guess having something frozen and hovering in mid-air would look silly in the more realistic-designed Prime series, but game logic is fine with that...

It's nice to waggle-jump after getting the boost ball, and I netted a mission expansion that way, but where is the hidden item in that floating container with grapple points you had to bomb the clamps holding the obstructions from the inside. I HEAR YOU HUMMING, WHERE ARE YOU??!

Crested Penguin
08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
It's nice to waggle-jump after getting the boost ball

I just beat Elysia without knowing you can do that at all. Do... do you jump high?

P.S. Navigating Elysia around the end was incredibly complicated for me with all the multilevel rooms with a lot of doors. Lovely boss at the end, much more fun than the Bryyo boss, which started to feel like a war of attrition. The Elysia boss reminded me of Rez.

Also, if anyone is interested in credit trading, PM me, I'm 8418 5247 4253 7210.

Kishi
08-30-2007, 01:46 AM
I just killed the Ice Missile boss on my second try, but I forgot to scan his final form. So now I reset and do it again!

Edit: Ah, it's not even a different scan. I've learned from the first two games that you can never be too careful, though.

Jeanie
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
"It's nice to waggle-jump after getting the boost ball

You can Waggle-jump WITHOUT the boost ball...

Hey guys, I just beat the first part of Bryyo, was I the only one who got the missile pickup after you power up the Uplink? You know, you go back in the Ballway that leads the Uplink room, avoiding the electricity, and then bomb jump up the last part. You need to waggle jump, lay a bomb, then waggle jump into a bomb jump to make it.

ringworm
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I just killed the Ice Missile boss on my second try, but I forgot to scan his final form. So now I reset and do it again!

Edit: Ah, it's not even a different scan. I've learned from the first two games that you can never be too careful, though.
Yeah I've been obsessively scanning bosses when they enter new states too. Echoes was extremely bad about this with bosses with multiple parts that each had multiple phases.

The-Bavis
08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah I've been obsessively scanning bosses when they enter new states too. Echoes was extremely bad about this with bosses with multiple parts that each had multiple phases.

I've started to resent the scanning on this 3rd outting. Just keep feeling like it's an interruption to the flow of everything. I'm keeping it to a minimum, but even that is sometimes a drag.

alexb
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I haven't read more than maybe the first page of this second section (found myself reading stuff I probably didn't want to know yet), but I just want to say that most of my complaints against MP2 have been rectified in this game. It's faster, easier to navigate, and better paced.

Kishi
08-30-2007, 02:34 PM
So, Mogenar: bad boss or worst boss?

Parish
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Nah, there's worse later in the game.

ringworm
08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
So, Mogenar: bad boss or worst boss?
Which one was Mogenar? I'm awful with names.

Nah, there's worse later in the game.
It sounds like you aren't a big fan of the bosses this time out? Actually that's probably too spoiler-y of a question...

alexb
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Mogenar's the big stone robot boss, the one at the end of Bryyo. I actually just fought it. It wasn't awesome, but it wasn't Spiderball Guardian bad, either.

ringworm
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah, pretty straightforward all things considered. I actually lost on my first attempt. My only really problem with that boss is I don't particularly like the whole "hypermode required" thing in boss fights.

Kishi
08-30-2007, 04:58 PM
That, and he would never stand still for more than a half-second to let me shoot his Glowing Weak Points. Then I'd have to exit Hyper Mode, tediously gather enough energy drops to safely enter it again, and repeat. This must have gone on for a good twenty minutes before he finally went down.

ringworm
08-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Just finished Elysia, I really dug Skytown and such, I thought making the bomb was pretty cool, certainly cooler than collecting 3 nameless temple keys. I'm not really feeling the Seed bosses, but I generally enjoy the intermediary bosses, and there have been some pretty great moments.

The Metroid laboratory was pretty damn cool, for example. And so was dropping the bomb on the Seed. Speaking of Metroids, there's something intensely satisfying about being able to freeze and shatter them again.

I also found the second Seed boss to be less annoying than the first one. Although this shit would be really hard on Veteran. I might have actually had to watch how much Hypermode I use...

I am liking the Lore on both Elysia and Bryyo quite a bit. So far I've liked the way they've worked the Aurora Units into the Metroid mythos as well.

Jeanie
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Just beat Mogenar. Yeah, every gripe mentioned earlier is true for me as well. He killed me once because everytime I entered Hypermode is when he hunker down for a minute and wouldn't oblige me by letting me shoot his weak points. I got booted out of Hypermode a couple of times because of this. The second time was MUCH easier.

Kishi
08-30-2007, 10:35 PM
The Metroid laboratory was pretty damn cool, for example.

Yes! That sequence was very well-done, what with the winding corridors with the glass containers, then just catching glimpses of them swarming around through the floors when the power went out. But, it was kind of a missed opportunity that the quiet, tense music didn't unravel into an alarming remix of the Metroid theme (or something) once they were freed.

Speaking of Metroids, there's something intensely satisfying about being able to freeze and shatter them again.

If only they wouldn't deftly phase through my missiles most of the time.

Daydreamer
08-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Buggy Bryyo Boss (spoilers):

So I fought the Ice Hunter guy last night, and after depleting 1/2 his health, he landed to regen his armor/shoot his ice beam thingy, and promptly got stuck in a wall. Since it took so long to do the first half (stupid flying ice carpet), and since it was 3am at that point, I didn't feel like doing it over, so I shot him to death and moved on.

This happen to anyone else?

ringworm
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
This happen to anyone else?
Haha, no, but that's pretty awesome.

Kishi
08-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I did get stuck inside one of those ice pillars he erects, though. I couldn't be damaged, but none of my shots could penetrate it, either. Fortunately, it shattered before it could go from amusing to annoying and game-ending.

ScrambledGregs
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm so glad everybody else had problems with Mogenar. He's definitely beatable, but I am seriously starting to detest the "shoot the weak spot" gameplay mechanic. I guess it's not that so much as they should have really tweaked the difficulty on this fight. At least make the weapon/health fills much more common in this fight!! Christ, if you're going to make use us the PED to damage him, then make sure we get refilled afterward because each time you use PED it uses up a life tank. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't defeat him because I was too low on health to go into it to finish him off.

I notice myself getting stuck a lot in this game and it just turns out to be some stupid little rock or whatever I need to bomb/shoot/missile/freeze/throw a bottle of gin at. I wish you didn't have to scan so many things to tell what you're supposed to do, but oh well.

I'm about to start Elysia, but my general impression of the game is that it deserves the reviews. Even the parts that frustrate me or I think should have been tweaked are alleviated by pretty much everything else in the game. I know it's incredibly lazy to pull the whole "I don't like these specific bits, but everything else is fucking grand and I won't go into detail" but there you have it. I'll just say that the level design and art direction are every bit as ZOMG as everybody was saying. On even a basic level, there's something very visceral about seeing Samus's face while in the scanning visor...

Parish
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I love Samus' reflection, especially the way her eyes move in the direction of the Wii remote pointer. So awesome. But I kinda hate the aesthetics of most of the game's areas. Was there a galactic close-out sale on neon tubing? Color in a first-person shooter is a very rare and welcome thing, but maybe a little less in-your-face lighting wouldn't be such a bad thing....

PhoenixUltima
08-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Even cooler: the reflection changes as you beat bosses and your phazon corruption level increases.

Jeanie
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
OK guys, I'm running around trying to get the bomb parts, but I don't know how to lower the blast shields, or whatever it's called, on the platform where you put them at so you can make the bomb. Any Clues?

Niku
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
You actually just go pick up all three parts without dropping any off, and then go talk to God I Want To Shoot You In The Glass Face On Pure Metroid Instinct 227 or whatever his number is. Then he'll send you along for assembly etc.

Jeanie
08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh, well, leave it to me to make something more complicated than what it really is. Thanks.

Kishi
08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I love Samus' reflection, especially the way her eyes move in the direction of the Wii remote pointer. So awesome.

I could do without her awful spider-leg eyelashes, though.

Jeanie
08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok so I beat Elysia, the screw attack is pretty cool until I found out the hard way that you only get about 6 button pushes then it's done. The Elysia boss was pretty good. I prefer bosses like him than to ones like Mogenar. I also laughed at how the escape pod malfunctioned right as I hopped in. That might be a good thing to check BEFORE you fly out with an huge atomic bomb.

As for the whole reflection thing, I like that. Attention to details like that go a long ways with me. Alright now on to part 3.

Kishi
08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok so I beat Elysia, the screw attack is pretty cool until I found out the hard way that you only get about 6 button pushes then it's done.

It was either that or invisible walls on open-air areas.

Jeanie
08-31-2007, 09:01 PM
It was either that or invisible walls on open-air areas.

Oh I understand why they did that. I'm just saying, DON'T SPAM THE JUMP BUTTON...

alexb
08-31-2007, 09:51 PM
I agree that some of their design choices are a bit strange. Samus's big sparkly shoujo eyes peering out from her Halo armor, for instance.

Lakupo
09-01-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm so glad everybody else had problems with Mogenar. He's definitely beatable, but I am seriously starting to detest the "shoot the weak spot" gameplay mechanic. I guess it's not that so much as they should have really tweaked the difficulty on this fight. At least make the weapon/health fills much more common in this fight!! Christ, if you're going to make use us the PED to damage him, then make sure we get refilled afterward because each time you use PED it uses up a life tank. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't defeat him because I was too low on health to go into it to finish him off.

Mogenar was kind of harrowing for me because I spent the last half of the fight waiting for energy orbs to appear so I could go into hypermode, then trying to hit the weakpoints without using up too much phazon, then waiting for energy again, and so on.

Perhaps it just would've been better to start over, because at the point where I was running out of health, I realized a lot of things about how to effectively play the game. Burst fire is a lot better than charged shots in this game (after two whole games of constant charged shots). I've also gotten better at managing hypermode, to get in and out of it without using too much energy (I've also learned to take advantage of corruption -- the first impulse it "AAAH GET IT OUT GET IT OUT" but it's a lot more efficient to try and let it build up a bit and keep it going until the 25 seconds are up).

I think what really got me about Mogenar, was that he could heal. After several fights that were all about doing various things while an endless horde of pirates is attacking you, the healing was just too much. I was starting to think the primary design philosophy for boss fights was "endless renewing distractions during relatively simple tasks". Fortunately, it seems to have gotten a lot better in that regard.

ScrambledGregs
09-01-2007, 06:51 AM
What am I doing fucking wrong?? I'm supposed to be investigating that GFS ship but now I have to go scavenge hunting for energy cells so I can power up parts of it in order to proceed. I can see where they're supposed to be located from the Logbook's inventory, but the hints as to their location are so god damn cryptic that I don't have any clue where they're at beyond the hangar one.

This is seriously the kind of shit that pisses me off about games like this: arbitrary, mandatory backtracking in order to find things that are boring. I really feel like the Retro crew puts this into their games to increase the playtime because I can't imagine anyone sitting around thinking it would be fun to make you track crap down. At least in most other Metroid games, backtracking is done either to locate new areas/new items/new weapons or is totally optional in order to get energy tanks or missiles. Bah, I say!!

Kishi
09-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Most of the Cells are found naturally throughout the game, and the remaining few are easy enough to track down once you acquire the proper equipment.

In other words, you're not supposed to be doing that stuff yet. Consult your Logbook for your actual current objective.

ScrambledGregs
09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Ah, I actually went to that area in Elysia already but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do in that one room with the item you have to use something to lift up. It's bizarre that the game tells you about the Valhalla when you don't need to go there and can't actually progress there yet.

Niku
09-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Four words for you: Wind Waker's Triforce Hunt.

Now, I'm only a little ways past Elysia as it stands, with six or so Energy Cells collected, but I'm ASSUMING that Valhalla is going to be important to the endgame for one reason or another. However, by cluing you into the area and what you need in order to progress through it as early as they do, you can choose to either go and hunt down Energy Cells for a while or continue with your mission on Elysia and beyond. Personally, I'm glad I could take the break to go hunt down three Energy Cells now, then continue pushing forward, then go to find another Energy Cell or two, and repeat. If they hadn't introduced Valhalla until you could actually access every single key, then you would essentially be stuck at the end of the game and forced to backtrack for seven or eight of the things all in one go -- just like if you'd been ignoring the Triforce pieces up until the endgame in Wind Waker.

Considering hunting down the Energy Cells opens up new rooms and new power ups while you're tracking them down, I have basically no complaints about how they worked it into the game.

Lakupo
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Ah, I actually went to that area in Elysia already but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do in that one room with the item you have to use something to lift up. It's bizarre that the game tells you about the Valhalla when you don't need to go there and can't actually progress there yet.

While you could get a few artifacts/keys early in Prime 1/2, a lot of people were annoyed by how you essentially had to stop and backtrack for them at the end of the game. By introducing the Valhalla early and giving you a bunch of energy cells along the way (with a few that require some extra work), the fetch quest doesn't come across as so bad.

alexb
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
A better solution would have been not to turn the endgame into work at all, though.

PhoenixUltima
09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
The best thing about the keyhunt in this game is that you get most of the keys just on your way through the game. A few are even required to get in order to advance.

And the other best thing? You don't actually need all the keys this time around. If you can live without the extra stuff on the ship you can get to the area you need to go on the V with I think 5 cells. Not that these energy cells are hard to get or anything.

ringworm
09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Man the way certain intertron parties were talking about it I was expecting a lot worse out of the energy cell hunt thing. I've gotten most of them just doing normal exploration, and as the previous poster said, you don't even need all of them.

Octopus Prime
09-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I've reached Elysia, but haven't unlocked any new abilites there yet.

I really have to admit to loving the Steam-Bots though. Specifically, how they go flying when I land a missile in the middle of a swarm of them.

Calorie Mate
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I hate anyone that would harm them. I shot the very first one I saw, but then the lil' guy on the ground, pulling himself along with one arm, totally won me over. I shall never hurt another Steam Bot as long as I live.

Daydreamer
09-03-2007, 12:18 AM
A little help please: I just got the Space Jump, and the game tells me to find something in Eastern Elysia, but I don't have any '?' on my map. There is a big room that appears to require a multi-targeting weapon, a big room that appears tor equire a grabble beam upgrade, and a room with a big fan thingy at the bottom where I unlocked a central pillar to proceed to the landing pad. What am I missing?

ScrambledGregs
09-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Space Jump?? You mean the Screw Attack??

Kishi
09-03-2007, 07:34 PM
The landing pad should have a terminal to endow your ship with grappling capabilities. After that, you'll be charged with using the Ship Grapple to assemble three pieces of a large device, the locations of which I believe are given question marks.

switchbeat
09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm a few hours in (just finished setting up the landing area to power up my ship), and I'm finding myself slightly frustrated with the controls. I've changed the settings a few times to see what works best for me, but I keep thinking to myself "man, I really think this would be so much more comfortable if the reticle would always move the whole screen like in a PC shooter." That isn't to say I think the controls are terrible or unmanageable. They do work. I just wish they had an 'ultimate' setting or something. Perhaps most importantly, I think the screen moving with the cursor would resolve my inability to do a 180, allowing me a more natural ability to spin around and attack what was once behind.

Would such controls just not be doable on the Wii? Or am I being too picky? Anyone else have a similar impression?

Calorie Mate
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Y'know, I initially thought that too. I'd still like to see how it would work. That being said, I'm still in love with Prime 3's control scheme (Advanced, of course).

Also, guys, there are metroids in this game. Yes.

Garlo
09-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I miss being able to drop from a plataform and then do a double jump, like it's possible in Hunters. Had some trouble with Mogenar, but in the end I found myself not using the Z button to target him at all, so I guess I got used to the combat using Advanced.

And some random guy I added as a friend when I got the Wii last month sent me yesterday some tokens or whatever, and now I have the mii booblehead (or whatever it's called in english) on the dashboard of the ship. Has anybody used the screen shot option?

ringworm
09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
And some random guy I added as a friend when I got the Wii last month sent me yesterday some tokens or whatever, and now I have the mii booblehead (or whatever it's called in english) on the dashboard of the ship. Has anybody used the screen shot option?
I have an irrational love of my be-Powersuited Mii Bobblehead. The Screen Shot Tool is actually pretty slick. You can use it whenever, even during cutscenes. It puts them onto your Wii message dashboard thing, so you can send them over to your friend or put them on an SD card, or whatever. I sent several people I know the screenshot of my final stats (completion %, time, etc).

Octopus Prime
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
The boss at the end of Elysia is a damn sight easier then Mogenar was.

And reading the Lore from Elysia, it's pretty obvious where the game is going to end up. And if I'm right, I'm going to be happy.