PDA

View Full Version : My Significant Other Rocks The Kitchen!!! (Or Fails Horribly)

boot101
05-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Alright, so I'm not horrible in the kitchen. I can hold my own, especially following recipes. My wife on the other hand, she is a kitchen Goddess. Her food is amazing, and she can turn next to no ingredients into awesome deliciousness.

I attribute this to her being the oldest child of a family of nine. She grew up learning how to cook and how to make a little go a long way.

This thread is to talk about how great or bad our significant others are in the kitchen! Testify!

boot101
05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Double post cuz everyone seems to hate their significant others' cooking ability:

Example of my wife's cooking excellence:

Tonight she fried up a little chicken in olive oil, combined it with a penne pasta, and then had a problem. She didn't have the ingredients to make a decent alfredo sauce. So she reaches into her bag of culinary tricks, whips out some sour cream, some cream cheese, some spices, and a little milk and brown gravy mix and creates on of the best sauces I have ever tasted. I can't account for it, but the woman can cook!

End example.

KCar
05-17-2010, 09:28 PM
My girlfriend can make a perfect omelette. That doesn't sound like much, but she takes her time with it, makes sure the egg isn't sticking, and broils it in the oven for a brief period to make sure the inside portion cooks. Served with a nice fresh salad, there is nothing nicer than a truly excellent mushroom and cheese omelette.

Actually, that's rather indicative. My GF makes simple, but perfect, food. I'm the one to try new things and spend too much on a meal. I'm pretty happy that we split things like that.

Sarcasmorator
05-17-2010, 09:45 PM
My wife is an excellent baker and very good at making recipes up from thin air or adapting them from something else to suit us. I'm a good stovetop cook (I'm best when I can watch the food cooking), so between the two of us we eat rather well.

Dampe
05-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Dishes my wife makes that are the best ever:

Tacos
Chicken Chili

The quality of these dishes are unrivaled.

Rosencrantz
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM
I do most of the cooking, which is fine, because Cat does most of the cleaning. I'm not especially great at it or anything, but we're both pretty picky eaters, so our meals are mostly easy to make. Cat's really good at the few meals that she does make, though, especially meatloaf.

Cat is awesome at baking, though. The best part of holidays are when she bakes cookies, cakes, or cupcakes. One time she tried a new cake recipe, and the cake collapsed... but everyone agreed that it was the best cake we had ever had.

Kirin
05-18-2010, 07:47 AM
My wife and I are both decent but not inspiring cooks, working mostly from recipes and minor variations. But she's the only one who's willing to make sourdough bread from scratch so props for that. She also makes some mean cookies, and has occasionally done a really fancy cake or two.

tungwene
05-18-2010, 08:18 AM
I can't cook. Fortunately my boyfriend can. He's a better cook than my mom and she's no slouch either. We had steak and asparagus two nights ago. I think if he ever wanted to the boyfriend could start his own restaurant.

Violentvixen
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm a decent baker and can cook well for big things like Thanksgiving when I have a full day to devote to it. Daily cooking honestly stresses me out and never seems worth the work.

Lumber is really good at the day-to-day stuff, though. We have a whole recipe binder which includes white bean chicken chili, black beans and rice with kielbasa, cheese and quinoa scones, etc. Good stuff.

ASandoval
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Neither me nor my girlfriend can cook. If we ever get our own place, we're in trouble.

NevznachaY
05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm pretty certain that I'll never meet a girl that can surpass my mother in terms of cooking. It's a Freudian conundrum.

KCar
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty certain that I'll never meet a girl that can surpass my mother in terms of cooking. It's a Freudian conundrum.

I fully intend to surpass my mother's cooking. I haven't at all figured out the Freudian connotations of that.

Dhroo
05-18-2010, 10:48 AM
My boyfriend is the main cook around here, and he's pretty dang good at it, too. I mean, I can put something decent together given a recipe, but he's got an actual talent for it. He makes most meals from scratch and typically doesn't need a recipe. The other week we had my parents over for dinner and he made his Chicken Parmesan, which is like, the best.

He's got serious potential, and I know he wants to go to culinary school, it's just a matter of us having the money for him to do it.

Tock
05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
The ladyfriend is a former baker and former recipe tester/writer, and still does testing for cookbooks once a year or so. So yes, this thread. The other day she churned out a batch of cinnamon rolls from scratch, just because I made an offhand comment about Cinnabon while we were at the mall. I am pretty lucky.

She's got a small catering gig Memorial Day weekend, so if I remember to take photos I will return to be that jerk who is always braggin' about his lady.

Falselogic
05-18-2010, 11:11 AM
My wife loves cooking/baking etc. and she is really good at it. She enjoys cooking and such so much that she started her very own blog all about it: http://cookingcampus.wordpress.com

I help but its really all her.

Tomm Guycot
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
My fiancee (bdazzld) is an amazing cook. Like others mentioned here, she can make things out of disparate ingredients. Another thing she can do is take pre-made stuff (store bought spaghetti sauce, etc) and modify it so that it is not only good, but AMAZINGLY good and tastes nothing like its former self. Several times she's made things that I really didn't like before... but after she prepared them they were amazing and I love them now.

The only downside is she works a stressful job and we carpool so she gets home as late as I do so it's not fair to have her cook very often. But one day I'll be rich and she can stay home and experiment in the kitchen all day. I will reap all the benefits!

Zef
05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Last week, my girlfriend made banana pound cake. Then she made walnut cupcakes.

Today I have withdrawal symptoms. SO GOOD.

R^2
05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I went to culinary school in hopes that I can learn to cook like my girlfriend, and I have my doubts it's actually possible.