View Full Version : Mafia Game 4 - The Thing - Lower Deck

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Paul le Fou
05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
THE GAME HAS BEGUN!

Alpha Centauri System
Deep space sector 18-5A
U.S.S. Troyes

You were so close. Day 189 of the S.S. Troyes' 199-day secret mission to the fourth belt of Alpha Centauri, bearing valuable information and military cargo to aid in the war against the Sharkies from planet Bronton. The ship carried the newest Beam Blaster technology, shield generators, deep space cloud scannifiers, and more. You, a member of the biological research division. You’d spent the trip huddled in the Main Research Lab on the lower decks with your fellow researchers, dissecting alien bodies, analyzing DNA and bone structures and carapaces and pincers, chronicling the fortunes of mice.

It was nearly “nightfall” of the ship’s artifical cycle, and research was coming to an end for the day. You researchers had gathered together to be briefed by Chief Science Officer le Fou on the day’s results. There had been great progress with Sample PRCY-7 lately. You had found a way around the unfortunate side effect of complete biosystem shutdown - a way for the sample to take hold more slowly and integrate itself safely. Infected mice became strong, healthy, energetic, intelligent. Also: cunning, murderous. There were still some kinks to be worked out. The upper deck boys had been making great progress on the emergency vaccination lately. All the while, Sample PRCY-7A, a small reddish-yellow orb resembling a common fruit from back home on ManRock, sat in its dome.

“Good work, men,” le Fou said, ending the briefing. “Let’s get everything squared away and hit the canteen. First glass of Titanberry Wine is on me!” You were packing away the experiments of the day, caging mice, capping beakers, when the first explosion rocked the ship and turned the lab upside-down.

The lights went off, and for one horrifying, stomach-churning second the gravity shut off. Your fellow researchers did cartwheels and headspins every which way, smashing into injector arrays and overturned racks of test tubes. Klaxons blared, the emergency lights came on, and finally the ship settled. You got shakily to your feet and took stock of the lab. Some of the mice ran free here and there, but most of the experiments had already been secured. Except…

“Is it safe?!” Chief le Fou bellowed, unconcerned with the blood pouring from his head. “Was Sample 7A secured?!”

An uneasy silence settles over the lab. And then you spot him in the corner, a junior researcher. At his feet: a broken Sample container. On the shard of glass: PRCY-7A. In every throat: a lump. In the air: fear.

“S-S-Sorry, Boss…” he stammers, his face looking yellow and swollen in the wan glow of the emergency lights. “I… I…

…I dropped it.”

Paul le Fou
05-24-2010, 07:33 AM
“OK. There are 15 of us, here, and we have reason to believe that one of us is infected. I’m going to ask you to come forward and allow us to vaccinate you for all of our safeties.”
Did you tell them that the vaccine will kill them if they’re infected, Chief le Fou?
“…No, computer, I did not. Thank you for that.”
I do not think it would have worked anyway, boss.
“It was worth a shot. All right then, this is how it’s going to work. We will sniff you out. We will hunt you down. We will find you. And we have tools at our disposal.
First, we have Arms-grade Nullification Generation Laser-Shields, or ANGL Shields. Whoever has one of these can generate a shield around one person at a time to protect them from any violence. Now, we’re not sure what kind of shape they’re in, so the generator might blow out if they’re strained with an actual protection. Hopefully, they won’t explode in the process. How many of these units did you retrieve, Ensign Traumadore?”
“None, sir.”
“None? Were there no functional units in the storage?”
“Oh, yes sir. Two, sir. But, there’s a lot of rubble in the halls in deck 10, sir, and I, uh… I dropped them. They broke, sir. Very fragile.”
They are very fragile machines, boss.

“Well… wow. That… that’s OK, because Doctor Byron was sent to get our Violence-Grade Laser guN Tubes, or VGLNTs. We only have so many power packs, so each will only have a few shots before it goes dead. We will be arming people with these in case security gets out of-“
“Sir? The lasers, sir. There were none.”
“Computer, do you have anyone on cameras taking our Laser guns?”
I detected motion in the storage bay, boss, but I dropped the signal.
“How does that even happen?”
I’m sticking with “the ship’s systems are badly damaged,” boss.

“Oh god. OK, we’re ok. Because finally, we have Personal RNA Composition scanner arraY, AKA the PRCY Scanner. With this, we can scan people for infection. However, they use up a lot of Enertron Power, so we can only use them twice per day. But if we get a positive result, we gain… there becomes available a… certain amount of biomatter that we can… well, we have the Enertron Converter... long story short, we get some energy. Look, I’ll worry about the details, but the point is it gives us another shot to scan. Unless Officer Gahitsu dropped those, too.”
“No sir.”
“Thank Glorfinon.”
“Only two sir. We have one left.”
“All we need. Tell you what, let me hold on to that. Careful! Careful… OK. Now, the P infection takes about a day to metabolize, which means that it will be a day before the infection can reproduce. We’re looking at one new infection per day, so we’re on a time limit here. Now, since the physical effects of the virus don’t take full effect for a week or two, we won’t have to deal with the increased strength or agility. This means that, luckily, they’ll need to match or outnumber us to beat us. In the meantime, our goal is, obviously, to catch and vaccinate all the infected. Remember, that Thing is not our comrade anymore. Your friend is already dead, and given the chance, would drop you in a heartbeat.”

“How will we decide whom to inspect, chief?”
“Obviously, I will decide. And so you can trust me, I’ll scan myself first.”
Sample obtained. Scanning process initiated.
“Chief, can we talk about this? Maybe we should take a vote?”
“Don’t be silly, Doctor Kayma! This is clearly the best option. In fact… huh, I didn’t think that would bleed so much. It’s all right, get me… get me a… band… just gonna… sit… whoof.”
“Chief!”
Scanning process complete. Chief le Fou was clean, boss.
“Chief? Chief! Is he… oh, god.”
“He probably shouldn’t have done that so low on blood.”
“Let’s keep the bandages next to the scanner, just in case.”
At least you have the biomatter for another inspection, now. Shall I fire up the dissolution tank, boss?
“Yes, please.

Well then. Looks like we’re taking a vote. We only have so much time, now, so we have to act quickly. Whoever has the most votes at the end of the period gets scanned. Remember, we can scan twice in a day, once at the 48 hour mark, and once at the 96 hour mark.”
“That’s more than a day.”
“Hey. You. Shut up. All right, so. Let’s go over this again.

~14 of us, one of them.
~The Thing(s) can infect one new player per night.
~We have two scanning phases per day.
~Vote by saying, in bold text, I VOTE TO SCAN (Paul le Fou).
~Candidate with the most votes at the end of the period is scanned and the results come back. If the target is infected, he will be destroyed.
~If we get a positive result on the second scan, we can scan a third time. If we get a positive result on the third scan, we can scan a fourth time, and so on. This will extend the Day Phase by 48 hours each time.
~If we get a negative result on the second scan or any thereafter, we move immediately to night phase for 48 hours.

Any questions?”
No questions here, boss.
“Thank you, computer. Now…

Where do we start?

Paul le Fou
05-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Crew Members on the Lower Deck:

Kayma
gahitsu
Mr. J
Brickroad
Dizzy
dtsund
Garrison
The Giant Head
Tock
Byron
Traumadore
demonkoala
Calorie Mate
kaisel
Eddie

Scan Results:

Day 1:
Byron - clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=768941&postcount=88)
Mr. J - clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=770693&postcount=159)

Day 2:
Tock - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=772524&postcount=205)
Brickroad - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=773847&postcount=268)

Day 3:
Byron - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=777312&postcount=333)
Garrison - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=779054&postcount=395)

Day 4:
Kayma - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=782787&postcount=455)
Kaisel - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=784069&postcount=511)

Day 5:
Dizzy - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=788270&postcount=554)
Traumadore - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=789525&postcount=591)

Day 6:
Gahitsu - Clean (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=793118&postcount=684)

Kylie
05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I WARNED him that the scanning process taxed the human body's ability to continue living, that it still required massive amounts of tissue extraction, that it needed weeks more refinement to be a workable device, but what'd he say? "Shut up, Doc, and go get the guns." The GUNS. As if we didn't have a quartermaster for that sort of thing!

...wait, where's the quartermaster?

We need to get scanning, and soon.

Worst case scenario: Dizzy is infected.

In fact, I say we just shoot him in the hand, to see what happens.

Calorie Mate
05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
So are we, like, the working class, being on the lower deck? I'm fine with that, it makes me think we're more badass and rough 'n' tumble than those snooty upper deckers, anyway.

Also, if anyone knows what an upper decker is, then you know it's the best insult.

(Also also, I love the Percy computer.) (Boss.)

Kylie
05-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Of course we are! We don't get the CAPTAIN ordering us around, no. It's all engineers and workaday types, down here. All three of us.

Kayma
05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
You know, the lower deck isn't so bad. The hum of the engine really helps me sleep at night.

Upper deck? Who needs 'em, dirty rotten bourgeoisie. Besides, I think we have our own problems down here without worrying about them.

Calorie Mate
05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
In fact, I say if we find The Thing, we ship 'em up to the Upper Deck and let them deal with it. Maybe their precious money will save them then!

Kylie
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
That ain't fair, it's not like anyone can tell the difference between grotesque, horrific freaks of genetic experimentation and the Thing.

kaisel
05-24-2010, 01:06 PM
In fact, I say if we find The Thing, we ship 'em up to the Upper Deck and let them deal with it. Maybe their precious money will save them then!

Sounds like the best plan, screw the Upper Deck and their high society.

I'm going to wait for everyone to post, before putting forth a candidate for scanning. Any other points of interest, or should we wait to discuss any potential problems only when they crop up?

Kylie
05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Actually, I guess this is a good time for bad ideas to be aired, right?

The second scan of the day should be the Suspicion Scan -- if we drop the ball with the first scan, we get a second. If we drop the ball with the second, we don't. Now, if we hit the target today, we win, but lets hold off on that for a sec.

Let's say it's Day 4. If we hit the thing with the first scan, but not the second, we get two scans total that day. If we hit with the second, regardless of what happens to the first, we get three scans that day. This isn't to say that the first scan shouldn't be used to hit Things, but the second is far, far more valuable, because getting THAT right not only kills a thing, but buys us another 48 hours, robbing the Things of a conversion.

In fact, after day 2, we will NEED to kill things with the second scan in order to have any chance at either eliminating Things, or building a bloc, because a single thing-kill with the first scan gets us a kill, and an innocent -- but the innocent can be compromised, and the kill is answered with a conversion.

If we only kill Things with the first scan, we LOSE.

The second scan is HUGE, chums. I don't know if there's any viable way, without already having a bloc, that we can isolate highly suspicious targets for 2Scan, and save 1Scan for Clean Confirmation, but it's 2Scan that we'll need to use to win.

Garrison
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
That seems logically sound to me. The only question I have in my head right now is where to start.

Should we just start babbling on until someone says something stupid and scan them. Should we pull names out of a hat?

I really like the flavor text this time around.

demonkoala
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
That seems logically sound to me. The only question I have in my head right now is where to start.

This game is quite different from the rest. It's even harder to make decisions until everyone has posted at least once...
I don't even know how I should contribute yet D:

Kylie
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Absolutely not.

Today we get two scans.

We need to encourage as much discussion as possible -- this is our single most critical day. Chances that, shooting at random, we'd hit the Thing are 1/7 -- pretty low, but not unreasonable. If we can narrow that at all, we should. Plus, it's in EVERY Crewman's best interest to establish their standpoints and patterns today, because the more thorough you are today, the slightly better chance you won't get converted - people who hide today are easy, easy targets.

That said, I am certain it is in the Thing's best interest to convert the quiet kids, for the moment. Unlike the Virus, the Thing doesn't lose its power, and the greater quantity it builds up, the more secure it is.

Look at it this way -- do you want to be the one pow-wowing with the rest of us, or the one hiding under a table in the darkened mess hall? Let's at least talk.

If we cannot find a solid target for 2Scan, today, which I think is likely, we should at least start by establishing a couple of innocents. We have a strong team, with some skilled and subtle players; some completely crazy players, and one very loud player (me). Much as we dislike the ol' metagame, we need to start by looking at our roster, and determining exactly who would be the greatest assets if confirmed innocent.

One possible plan (and possibly a very bad one) is my prototype ANticarcenoGenic ExtrapoLator - or plan ANGEL, for short. Plan ANGEL works by scanning two people on day one -- both perceptive, strong, reliable targets -- and then using 1Scan of EVERY SUBSEQUENT DAY to ensure that one of those two virtuous Adonises survives unscathed through the whole game.

There are, of course, advantages and disadvantages. But my logic is this: Today we are going to scan two people; if one isn't innocent, we won't need future plans. But if both ARE innocent, chances are good that we'd have scanned at least ONE of them for 2.1 (Day 2, Scan 1) to check for corruption, and probably the other for 2.2 - this is logical if we believe the Thing is trying to bloc-break, but is a terrible plan overall -- which is why I recommend changing it up, by creating a voting record that is analogous to having an Angel, and one that can't be nightkilled, while we hunt for Things on the second Scan of each day.

The disadvantage is that we never really have a solid bloc with this strategy, and it means that we have one fewer scan with which to kill Things. But it does mean that we will have picked someone we believe to be a strong leader, in the absence of our late CSO LeFou, and someone we can trust to be outside of the Thing's control, to help direct future scannings. In that sense, the first three scans of Plan ANGEL are almost more elections than scans. But I think this plan will be especially powerful late-game, where our strategy will rely more on getting a string of consecutive 2Scans than in killing Things with the first.

Garrison
05-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Okay, how about this: we scan the two quietest players and keep tabs on one of them. I agree with you that the quiets are the better choices for conversion, so we should strip that from our Thing. Based off the last game, I'd say the two quietest players would be Kayma and The Giant Head (who despite my claim have already posted in the thread).

We could go another angle and scan two of our more canny players, which would strip a bad Thing of the ability to craft a plan well. In this case, I'd say we'd want to scan Tock and Dizzy.

If we want to protect our most inconspicuous, I'd say that we should scan Calorie Mate and maybe PapillonReel.

I think we have many avenues to pursue and we should talk some of them out. I guess what I'm saying is this bloc building thing is a good idea, but we need to figure out who would be the best to place on this bloc. I doubt very highly that we'll find the Thing in these initial scans, so we might as well make the best of things.

Calorie Mate
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
The second scan is HUGE, chums. I don't know if there's any viable way, without already having a bloc, that we can isolate highly suspicious targets for 2Scan, and save 1Scan for Clean Confirmation, but it's 2Scan that we'll need to use to win.

This is very true, though I'm not sure what your strategy is, exactly. I'm going to guess by Day 2 we'll have enough people we think are suspicious that we can check one, internalize the results, and then scan another. If we agree that one is particularly suspicious it might make sense for a 2nd scan...but you're veering close to the edge of accidentally (?) suggesting we plan both, and pretty much ignore what we learn from our first scan.

That is, I think pairing our scans so we learn something from the first and can make a slightly more educated guess about the second is the way to go.

But I think this plan will be especially powerful late-game, where our strategy will rely more on getting a string of consecutive 2Scans than in killing Things with the first.

I'm really against giving up half our scans every day. It's hard enough to pick corrupted out of a crowd without giving us two chances. That said, I agree with the quoted portion above - I think it would be a decent strategy worth considering in the late game. Just not at first, when there are too many people and only one Thing.

Kylie
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
In your first point, you are partially wrong -- I would never suggest we ignore results of ANY scan. But you're right about the rest -- if we take each day individually, a scan, then analysis thereof to use the second, seems like a good idea.

As for the ANGEL plan -- I will gently point out that maybe you don't realize how powerful Angels were in the first two games -- especially an Angel that can't be killed. I don't know if it's worth giving up half of our scans. It might very well not be. But between the Angel and the Inspector the town always had a tremendous advantage over Mafia. We don't have either of those.

But by giving up the less valuable of our two scans, we'll be able to simulate an Angel; we have an Inspector built into the mechanic of the game.

I'm not sure it IS worth it. But it's a plan, and nobody's talking. At least this'll give us something to talk ABOUT.

Tock
05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
As for the ANGEL plan -- I will gently point out that maybe you don't realize how powerful Angels were in the first two games -- especially an Angel that can't be killed. I don't know if it's worth giving up half of our scans. It might very well not be. But between the Angel and the Inspector the town always had a tremendous advantage over Mafia. We don't have either of those.

But by giving up the less valuable of our two scans, we'll be able to simulate an Angel; we have an Inspector built into the mechanic of the game.

The main threat of the Angels in M1/2 was their ability to keep power roles alive, and more specifically, their ability to keep the Inspector alive long enough to build a bloc, then defend that bloc with the shell game. Your plan doesn't give us an Angel--rather, it gives us a bloc of one, at the cost of cutting our Inspector's power and our chances to lynch Things in half. This simulated Angel doesn't have the ability to protect a growing bloc, because in this game there's no such thing. The only asset gained here is a single trusted Scientist--and given past performance, following the leads of lone trusted citizens doesn't always pay off.

I think the plan might have some utility if there are less of us, i.e. if in the endgame having one trusted strategist is worth the first scan, because we're confident that our second scan will get a Thing and earn us a third scan for the day. At the beginning of the game, though, I don't see the point. I'd rather take a 1 in 7 chance at finding a Thing today than a 1/13 shot because I wanted to keep Brickroad uninfected.

Tock
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
...aaaaand I only just noticed that Byron already said basically the same thing above. I thought I read all the posts so far, but I guess I dropped one.

Anyway! I am a little wary of saying "by Day 4, we will have implemented the ANGEL plan, which will be headed up by one of these three candidates." Telegraphing our intentions to the enemy doesn't usually pay off (coughautolynchcough), so I'd rather play things a little more by ear.

Calorie Mate
05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
In your first point, you are partially wrong -- I would never suggest we ignore results of ANY scan. But you're right about the rest -- if we take each day individually, a scan, then analysis thereof to use the second, seems like a good idea.

Nah, to be clear, I didn't think you were advocating that - I just wanted to point out the obvious pitfall and hopefully avoid it altogether.

The main threat of the Angels in M1/2 was their ability to keep power roles alive, and more specifically, their ability to keep the Inspector alive long enough to build a bloc, then defend that bloc with the shell game. Your plan doesn't give us an Angel--rather, it gives us a bloc of one, at the cost of cutting our Inspector's power and our chances to lynch Things in half. This simulated Angel doesn't have the ability to protect a growing bloc, because in this game there's no such thing. The only asset gained here is a single trusted Scientist--and given past performance, following the leads of lone trusted citizens doesn't always pay off.

I think the plan might have some utility if there are less of us, i.e. if in the endgame having one trusted strategist is worth the first scan, because we're confident that our second scan will get a Thing and earn us a third scan for the day. At the beginning of the game, though, I don't see the point. I'd rather take a 1 in 7 chance at finding a Thing today than a 1/13 shot because I wanted to keep Brickroad uninfected.

Yes exactly. There's no shell game here, just one confirmed dude - and considering how wrong everybody can be, I don't think it's a good idea to rely on one dude only.

But yes, it's definitely something that will be useful in the end game.

Calorie Mate
05-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Anyway! I am a little wary of saying "by Day 4, we will have implemented the ANGEL plan, which will be headed up by one of these three candidates." Telegraphing our intentions to the enemy doesn't usually pay off (coughautolynchcough), so I'd rather play things a little more by ear.

Right, that's sound advice, too. I'm content to say "We'll reconsider Project ANGEL when we get closer to the end game, whenever that is."

kaisel
05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Okay, how about this: we scan the two quietest players and keep tabs on one of them. I agree with you that the quiets are the better choices for conversion, so we should strip that from our Thing. Based off the last game, I'd say the two quietest players would be Kayma and The Giant Head (who despite my claim have already posted in the thread).

We could go another angle and scan two of our more canny players, which would strip a bad Thing of the ability to craft a plan well. In this case, I'd say we'd want to scan Tock and Dizzy.

If we want to protect our most inconspicuous, I'd say that we should scan Calorie Mate and maybe PapillonReel.

I think we have many avenues to pursue and we should talk some of them out. I guess what I'm saying is this bloc building thing is a good idea, but we need to figure out who would be the best to place on this bloc. I doubt very highly that we'll find the Thing in these initial scans, so we might as well make the best of things.

The biggest problem with only looking at quiet folks (or by standardizing who we decide to scan) is that the Thing(s) will be able to read our strategy and adapt accordingly. Strategy today probably isn't going to be a good thing to discuss too much. We're with a new ruleset, and the more we telegraph our moves, the bigger advantage the Thing has. I think quiet players for the first day is our best bet though, hopefully, at the least, it'll encourage folks to be more talkative.

That said, I do have a bit of a vested interest in the quiet players thing: I'm sort of on vacation, so I'll probably be somewhat quiet this week. So I want people to know that I'm in the game still, but I might not be on as much as I'd like.

PapillonReel
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I, uh, wasn't planning on playing this time around but I guess I'll chime in now that I'm technically the quietest player so far.

One thing I'd like to mention is that we shouldn't focus on specific targets for our scans. For one thing, it's too obvious - if you're aiming for a specific target, the Things out there will do everything to avoid picking them. My plan is for us to set the PRCY scanner to a randomizing modulation so that we've an equal chance at scanning anyone.

"But Pappy, what if we miss scanning a converted person?" Hey, it's bound to happen no matter how we approach it, but this way we'll make it so there aren't any easy hiding spots. And when an infected has to work to keep hidden, they're more likely to slip up in a lie which will help us in uncovering them the good ol' fashion way.

Paul le Fou
05-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Actually, the Lower Deck is where the main research labs are! You guys are scientists and researchers.

Well I mean, you can be whatever you want to be. Take your dream and make it come true!

Dizzy
05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Nobody get anything on my lab coat goddamit!

Brickroad
05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I was just gonna suggest random.org, but it gave me a 4, and a 4 would be ME. So, uh, let's scan me I guess?

I ran it again and got a 13, which is demonkoala.

And that's about all I care to contribute today. Enjoy your pointless circular discussions, nerds!

Tock
05-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Our Brick, uninterested in a pointless circular discussion?

I vote to scan Brickroad.

Mr. J
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
First, I vote we scan Byron because he's putting forward plans right now and I want to be safe about it.

Second, so if we hit on our first scan we don't get an extra scan, but if we hit on our second we do? That really doesn't make any sense.

Third, scanning someone everyday is a waste of a scan, we should scan them every other day. It still makes them a poor target for conversion but it doesn't eat up as many of our scans.

Fourth, we should talk as much strategy today as possible because today it is 14 to 1. Tomorrow it will be 13-2 and the things will have a bigger say. Today is when we have the largest ratio of cleans to things.

Finally, if yall are so concerned with being the lower decks just flip the spaceship over. Maybe the computer will drop some things to them.

Kylie
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
The only reason I suggested that plan now is because it isn't really viable later in game -- we'd essentially have to waste a day and a half of NECESSARY lynches in order to have our leader. That's REALLY not viable.

And hey, I won't ask you not to screen me. I think there are better choices - I'd like to have Brick and Dizzy in the clear, myself - but I think that our potential leaders are the best ones to scan, if only because that tells us a little more about where we stand tomorrow morning -- ONE of them will be clean.

I think randoming is bad, but that's just me.

No pointless circular arguments on the Lower Decks. Those are for the butterbars upstairs.

And this ain't no autolynch. Nobody's trying to bully anybody here -- hopefully, we've all learned from M3.

Dizzy
05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
C-can you hear it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhGdRSkiUw)? Can you hear it crawling around us in the darkness?...

Why routinely scanning "innocents" in future rounds would be problematic:

We will be wasting scans on the infected. Remember, each failed second scan produces one night where one of us will fall.
It's too predictable. The Thing(s) will know we'll follow up on the scanned to see if they're innocent.

If there is anyway of successfully building and maintaining trust, I'd like to know. Otherwise, it's not going to look pretty.

Fourth, we should talk as much strategy today as possible because today it is 14 to 1. Tomorrow it will be 13-2 and the things will have a bigger say. Today is when we have the largest ratio of cleans to things.

Yes, and give the infected a fine strategy guide to browse through while we try our damnedest to keep our numbers strong! Okay, one possible strategy: coded messages. I don't know how this would work exactly, it might just be a crazy fantasy packed with gumdrops, sugarplums and rainbows but if we could develop a system or some form of communication--like lipograms or grammatical hints--where we wouldn't have to be explicit in our strategies... ah never mind...

Paul le Fou
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Someone in the other thread asked too, so to clarify, give me a "I vote to scan (Brickroad's mysterious large "Old Faxes" hard drive folder)" when you want to vote to accuse someone, except the person's name instead of their porn stash. My life will be easier!

Brickroad
05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I think randoming is bad, but that's just me.

Hey guys check this out, I just found Byron's high school yearbook picture:

http://www.tabletmag.com/images/features/feature_739_story.jpg

Mr. J
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, and give the infected a fine strategy guide to browse through while we try our damnedest to keep our numbers strong! Okay, one possible strategy: coded messages. I don't know how this would work exactly, it might just be a crazy fantasy packed with gumdrops, sugarplums and rainbows but if we could develop a system or some form of communication--like lipograms or grammatical hints--where we wouldn't have to be explicit in our strategies... ah never mind...

We need to have some plan of action for dealing with the thing. I think today is a good day to start digging for ideas because of the number of clean players. I don't mean a grand plan to lead us through the rest of the game, but something smaller. Maybe a way to protect a people from being converted or something else.

At the very least we need to come up with a way to choose who to scan today. Sorry Brick, but I don't think random.com is a very good thing-detector.

Kylie
05-24-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm the Thing because I submit that a non-random choice can have a measurable intent behind it, and is therefore potentially more informative?

Ok yeah, I'm the Thing. Scan me now.

Randoming IS a pretty great way to hide intent, though.

Brickroad
05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Okay. I vote to scan BYRON.

Dizzy
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I thought Brick was pointing out how thick Byron is.

Since we're researchers part of a biological research division, I feel we should all at least attempt to create (1) a sturdy cure against the PRCY-7A infection (2) a medication against the infection that will last for a finite amount of time and/or (3) a chemical that we can all ingest that will shut down our systems (suicide) should we feel that our time is nigh.

Okay, I just created a cure against PRCY-7. I call it A-PRCY-7.

Quickly, everyone receive an injection of it and be cured!

Kayma
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
One scan's as good as another at this point. I vote to scan Byron.

Remember kids, if Byron isn't a The Thing, we get a whole chunk of time to talk shop with a known innocent. How fun! And if not? Hoo ah! Praise science!

Mr. J
05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm the Thing because I submit that a non-random choice can have a measurable intent behind it, and is therefore potentially more informative?

Randoming IS a pretty great way to hide intent, though.

Brickroad is just being brickroad and picking fights. He's just working with what he's got. Don't feed him too much.

Mr. J
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Also, we should wait and use the full 48 hours before we scan someone. That way we can extract maximum information from them.

So I have a crazy idea. What if we have everyone submit ideas and then scan the most/least useful idea? I'm trying to think of a way to limit potential infection targets. We're working with a much smaller group than last time, so limiting our infection targets would be very helpful.

Dizzy
05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Ladies and gentlement, I have already developed a cure for PRCY-7A!!

I vote to scan Byron. He of girth and virility.

Garrison
05-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Why the hell not, let's scan Byron

PapillonReel
05-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I Byron to scan vote.

demonkoala
05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Good to see some discussion when checking this time.

I don't see a point in using random.org because it pulled me up, and I know I'm innocent, therefore it's terrible. Yeah.

I see the points for voting Byron, but I don't think temporarily proving somone as innocent really gives all that much bearing in listening to them in this first round of this game.

I say we scan Mr. J. I don't like his posts today.

Kylie
05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
i vote to scan PapillonReel because I'm happy to be scanned, but somehow convinced of my own cleanliness, and therefore unwilling to waste a vote on me - but clearly not smart enough to avoid wasting a vote on someone else.

For the record, I GET the randomization. I just don't think it's effective. But I guess neither do you, 'cause you're not randomizing anymore.

Please just have the antibacterials ready, mmkay? We can talk about what our ACTUAL best use of scans is when I'm clean.

Brickroad
05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
For the record, I GET the randomization. I just don't think it's effective. But I guess neither do you, 'cause you're not randomizing anymore.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ATA/24371MV~The-Thing-Posters.jpg

PapillonReel
05-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Uh, ok? I don't really care who gets scanned, to be honest - we don't have enough info on voting habits and personality to really make any value judgements at this point, so anyone's fair game on day 1. Plus we can take advantage of anyone cleared at this point since we can ask them about strategy without worrying about motive, which is another plus.

Besides, it's not like voting for you and voting for anyone are mutually exclusive - my point was more that we shouldn't fall into the trap for voting for people with (insert personality trait here) all the time. Broadcasting who your targets will be just ends up doing the work for them, since they'll just infect anyone who doesn't fit the bill.

Dizzy
05-24-2010, 11:46 PM
my point was more that we shouldn't fall into the trap for voting for people with (insert personality trait here) all the time. Broadcasting who your targets will be just ends up doing the work for them, since they'll just infect anyone who doesn't fit the bill.

Intelligent notions friend! Everyone considers these misgivings easily.

Mr. J
05-25-2010, 12:04 AM
It seems Brickroad has entered the "speaking through comic panels" stage of acceptance.

SpoonyGundam
05-25-2010, 12:25 AM
LTTP here, but I think Byron's ANGEL thing is a pretty awful idea. Even if it is a good idea to just have one person calling or guiding the shots (I don't think it is!), falling back on one guy like that just means that he'll eventually just get infected and killed when he's scanned the next day. I'd say that taking out the obvious brain of the team is more important than increasing your number after a certain point.

Unless there's a rule that I'm missing that says that scanned players can't be infected that night?

Kylie
05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
That's our Brick! I'm choosing to believe he's actually calling me Ben Grimm, which is pretty great 'cause you know, Ben Grimm. I was him for Space Halloween a couple of years ago.

Does a wasted conversion hurt us more than the Thing?

Brickroad
05-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Does a wasted conversion hurt us more than the Thing?

http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/afthing1.jpg

Traumadore
05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
The heck, apparently I was abducted and stowed away on this god forsaken ship against my will. We're DOOOMED, DOOOOOOOOOMED!

Calorie Mate
05-25-2010, 10:40 AM
My plan is for us to set the PRCY scanner to a randomizing modulation so that we've an equal chance at scanning anyone.

Just like I warned Byron earlier, I'll say the same thing: the problem is we won't be using any new information we get day-to-day if we stick strictly to random.org. It's nice that the Thing won't be able to predict where to hide, sure, but it also means we'd just be sitting here randomizing everything and much of the discussion we have (if any) ultimately leads to nothing, since we'll randomize it anyway.

I'm not opposed to having it as one of our tools, though. A random check every once in awhile might be sufficient to trip up the Thing(s).

Anyway, I think Byron's putting good discussion out there and so I don't think he's infected, so I'm not wasting our first scan on him. Therefore, I'd like to propose two options:

1. Brickroad. Because, well, he's not putting much discussion out there, but (to meta game for a second, because he loves it) it's only a matter of time before he starts talking a lot and wants to explore ways to root people out, and I for one would be totally behind him doing that if I knew he was innocent. (For now.)

2. If we're going to random, we should random it today. I mean, I'm really doubting we're going to hit the Thing on our first day anyway, so it's as good as anything until we've got something to work with.

kaisel
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I do want Brickroad scanned, maybe today, maybe later, though it's weird to see him not just filling this thread with discussion.

Mr. J is someone else that I'm a little interested in, though I don't know what it is exactly. Some of his ideas were a little odd, like scanning those with the best/worst ideas, as ideas don't really tell us anything. Any strategy that is put forth should be able to be analyzed by all of us, and determined if it's good/bad, regardless of put it forth (especially now of all times, since 14 people are confirmed good). Scanning based on ideas is just a wasted scan today.

RE: Randomizing

Hiding our intent is well and good, but we can't just think we'll luck into a hit if we always randomize. The key is to be subtle and not broadcast our intentions at all times.

RE: Profiling

Setting up a profile is a pretty bad idea, as has been said, the Thing can easily just infect people that we say don't fit the profile. Besides, one the Thing becomes multiple Things, we should all know the best strategy for 'em, and that strategy will make profiles pretty useless.

Traumadore
05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh man, I just read this thread and find I'm a clumsy ensign to boot. I'm the kind of guy who always dies in a horrible way at the earliest convenience. My only defense is not wearing red or being black, and neither of those things can keep an alien from tearing you apart!

DOOOMED!

Traumadore
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I vote for the Giant Head. You could fit like a parasite or something in there for sure.

Dizzy
05-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I just want to get over our first scan hurdle. . .

. . .It's necessary for everyone, 'cause today mandates expediency!

Mr. J
05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
1. Brickroad. Because, well, he's not putting much discussion out there, but (to meta game for a second, because he loves it) it's only a matter of time before he starts talking a lot and wants to explore ways to root people out, and I for one would be totally behind him doing that if I knew he was innocent. (For now.)

2. If we're going to random, we should random it today. I mean, I'm really doubting we're going to hit the Thing on our first day anyway, so it's as good as anything until we've got something to work with.

1. Brickroad can still get converted after we scan him, so scanning early doesn't do much good for us.

2. Today would be a poor day to go with random because we have the least chance of hitting the thing(s). I would much rather be able to narrow the numbers down and then use random with a smaller group of people.

Calorie Mate
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Right, but if we scan Brick today, then he can't be turned tonight, right? I mean, I see what you're saying, but I wanted someone I could rely on to kick ass on Day 2 being clean.

As for the random thing, well, it's essentially random what we're doing today, but whatever. I think it's a shot in the dark as is.

Kayma
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Right, but if we scan Brick today, then he can't be turned tonight, right?

Uh. Why not? I don't think that's against the rules to turn someone who's been scanned... in fact, I'd say that's probably The Thing strategy numero uno.

Calorie Mate
05-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Huh, I thought there was a rule saying the guy being scanned got a free pass that night. Maybe that was kicked around and not picked up for this game.

Mr. J
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
It was dropped. Originally there was a rule for it, but not anymore.

Kylie
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah, that was the idea behind my plan -- as it stands, we get one trusted person in the morning, and, in theory, a kill at night. Evening is mostly worthless for Innocent-Verification because as soon as we've scanned Innocent Number 2, they are potentially compromised. No time to lead, no time to make suggestions - we need to use that one to KILL, not just to scan.

Calorie Mate
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Ah, got it. In that case, Byron's right - we need to keep in mind that confirming someone as Clean is only really a (decent at best) strategy for the 1st Scan.

Tock
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Ah, got it. In that case, Byron's right - we need to keep in mind that confirming someone as Clean is only really a (decent at best) strategy for the 1st Scan.

In that light, then... what is the purpose for scanning Byron first? Do people disagree with what he's put forth so far, or do we just want to make sure that the infection hasn't hit our loudest posters?

Calorie Mate
05-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I'd like an answer as well. Like I said, I'm not nominating Byron because I don't want to waste the scan on someone I think is innocent. I guess I could see an argument for scanning him since he's been putting the most ideas forth, though.

Mr. J
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
I nominated Byron because he has been making the most noise. If someone else seems like a good choice I'm still open for ideas.

demonkoala
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
OK, I just read this thread entirely for the first time, while actually awake and able to interpret everything correctly.

Re: First scan of the day
I would normally agree that we should scan the first time looking for someone clean, and getting a thing on the second scan, but this is Day 1. If we can get the thing on the first scan...game over. We win. OK, that makes the game kind of lame, but its a win. I kind of want to miss, so we can continue playing though...

So, here are some remarks.
-Gahitsu is the only player to not post so far.
-Brickroad's posts are mainly images of Ben Grimm.
-Dizzy's posts are about 1:1 in useful to figuring out vaccines.
-The Giant Head's posts haven't been too substantial. Last one was just re:Brickroad.
-Traumadore just accused The Giant Head and left.

Finally, I will stick with my vote for scanning Mr. J, mainly because of this post (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=767751&postcount=42). In general though, he seems to have no clear direction. Granted, I'm still getting my bearings, but I thought I ought to throw some reasoning out. Eh.

Paul le Fou
05-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Current votes:

Byron: 6
Mr. J
Brickroad
Kayma
Dizzy
Garrison
PaulRules!

Brickroad: 1
Tock

Mr. J: 1
demonkoala

The Giant Head: 1
Traumadore

PersimmonReek: 1
Byron

You have 15 hours before the first scan commences.

Dizzy
05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Finally, I will stick with my vote for scanning Mr. J, mainly because of this post (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=767751&postcount=42). In general though, he seems to have no clear direction. Granted, I'm still getting my bearings, but I thought I ought to throw some reasoning out. Eh.

Interesting....

I noted before how Mr J strategy would be lame because dumping all possible tactics for success now would result in the perfect guide for the infected to work with. I'd like to hear some more from you about this demoncoke--I mean demonkoala, if you have some more to say.

I didn't think it was possible at this stage we could develop some idea who of us would be The Thing, but this seems like it. Since time will be running short and Byron might get scanned anyways, I don't think it will matter much if I resist the popular tide for now and vote to get Mr J scanned.

So, if I can retract my previous vote I vote to scan Mr J.

If I can't, then next time, baby.

Also, how much fictional license do I have here? I invented a cure!

Paul le Fou
05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
No you didn't. The ship is in ruins and running on emergency power! Everything is broken! You're running around with a duct-tape beaker full of mashed up ration biscuits and what might be your own pee trying to get everyone to drink it. You probably hit your head pretty bad in all the commotion.

Dizzy
05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Damn.

In case Mr J doesn't receive a scan the first time he must receive it the second time.

I also want to be scanned after the first night. No joke.

Excuse me while I drink what's left of the Titanberry wine.

Kayma
05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Urine, urine, everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

PapillonReel
05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
That's still pee.

Urine for quite a treat.

demonkoala
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
if you have some more to say.

Not really! I just think it'd be more beneficial to move away from scanning Byron this round...

Brickroad
05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
No time to lead, no time to make suggestions - we need to use that one to KILL, not just to scan.

Thing wants you to listen to him!

http://retrocrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Thing_Addams-Family_001.jpg

Kylie
05-25-2010, 11:31 PM
What can I say? I'm lending a hand.

Brickroad
05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
What can I say? I'm lending a hand.

Glad to see you have a good grasp on things.

Paul le Fou
05-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Current votes:

Byron: 5
Mr. J
Brickroad
Kayma
Garrison
PaulRules!

Mr. J: 4
demonkoala
Dizzy
kaisel
The Giant Head

Tock

Traumadore

Byron

You have 7 hours before the first scan commences.

kaisel
05-26-2010, 02:32 AM
So, here are some remarks.
-Gahitsu is the only player to not post so far.
-Brickroad's posts are mainly images of Ben Grimm.
-Dizzy's posts are about 1:1 in useful to figuring out vaccines.
-The Giant Head's posts haven't been too substantial. Last one was just re:Brickroad.
-Traumadore just accused The Giant Head and left.

For now I want to scan Mr. J for the reasons that Dizzy and demonkoala both posted. Vomiting out our plans now is pretty risky this game, as it gives the Thing a way to hide. Byron is putting forth ideas for now, that are both good and bad (though he might be pulling a Nich in M3, by being vocal and useful, but I think that's a little more dangerous this game...). Gahitsu is a second choice, just because he hasn't posted, and he's not a well known poster, to me at least, so I'm pretty likely to forget about him. So I'm marking him down for now, as a bit of a reminder.

Brickroad
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
I would also like to scan Brickroad sometime soon. He's a pretty influential guy (I again point to the influx of Byron votes), which is not a terrible thing by itself. It does gets slightly worse if he's been plotting to eat us this whole time though, so I'd love to know if his pictures of The Thing are posted in good faith.

Nothing I ever do is in good faith. Ever.

Including this post.

And including this hidden text.

Paul le Fou
05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Final votes:

Byron: 5
Mr. J
Brickroad
Kayma
Garrison
PaulRules!

Mr. J: 4
demonkoala
Dizzy
kaisel
The Giant Head

Tock

Traumadore

Byron

It was the first day, and things on the lower deck had developed... well, they'd certainly developed. Dizzy ran around with a beaker of some foul concoction, claiming it was a cure. Other crew members elected to take their chances with the Thing. Brickroad sat on the floor muttering something about triiiiiicks in his spaaaaaace that no one could quite make out, and at one point vomited defiantly on Byron's shoes to indicate his vote.

It's been quite a day, computer.
Must have been a lot of head injuries in the accident.
Anyway, looks like we're scanning Byron.
Ooh, caught a suspicious one?
No, not really.
Oh. What did he do?
I don't know. No one said why they voted for him.
It must have been the vomit. Well, get the bandages ready.

*ponk*
Sample obtained.
Scanning process initiated.
Scan complete.

Byron is clean, boss.

Votes are wiped. Next scan phase begins now.

demonkoala
05-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, I'm glad we started to move in another direction, to try and catch some Things.

No dice though.

That's ok, at least we have a temporary clean to rely on. We need some words Byron. Who's had some of the most suspicious posts (because there are so many!) so far?

Also, Brickroad continually posts trash. I honestly would go to get rid of him.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I vote to scan Mr J. Everyone who doesn't follow suit is an asshole.

I say scan Brick for the second scan phase in then next round. I want to be the first to be scanned after night one. Or I am going to be very unhappy. Eventually we're going to have to scan everyone. I'm assuming Gahitsu is being a hobo due to his lack of posts.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Take a look at the last time Gahistu posted (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/search.php?searchid=1835305): 05-20-2010.

Although last activity: Yesterday 08:58 AM (CST)

If he doesn't drop by with some substantial thoughts I may switch my vote.

I would also like to scan Brickroad sometime soon. He's a pretty influential guy (I again point to the influx of Byron votes), which is not a terrible thing by itself. It does gets slightly worse if he's been plotting to eat us this whole time though, so I'd love to know if his pictures of The Thing are posted in good faith.

He didn't start the Byron vote. Mr J did, and I believe it was everyone voting for someone who's name was popping up frequently since we didn't have a strong idea at all of who could be The Thing. It was nearly pure chance with the first scan.

Calorie Mate
05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't really like the Dizzy's already planning out our Day 2...but he is right in that everyone will eventually have to be scanned. And more importantly, I don't want to be an asshole. I also nominate Mr J.

Kylie
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty certain Brickroad started the ball rolling to scan me, which is fine. I honestly don't think we need to scan him yet. I think he's just being Aggressive Brick, which is a really bad strategy if you're the Thing -- but a really GOOD strategy if you assume you're an early convert, and want to hedge your bets so that there's no significant content or plan difference between your existence as a virile, beautiful human and a PRCY-7A monstrosity. Brick is being reverse quiet -- he's putting all his smokescreens in place NOW.

You know who sets off my alarms?

Demonkoala.

He defended me, in a sense, during the first Accusation Blast. Which is a little silly; scans don't NEED defending, in the Thing, and especially the day 1 scan doesn't need it. His first post was essentially "Hey, I'm not sure what you all are going to say, yet, so I'm not saying anything."

Imma go back and reread now that I'm clean, and my wounds are healing, but again, I'm pretty sure today's Thing Symptom is not loud, brash behaviour -- the monster is weaker today than it will EVER be again. If we want to sniff him out today, we need to look under the radar.

demonkoala
05-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Demonkoala.

Hey a post from the proven clean guy. Let's listen to him since we can trust him! He's concerned about someone too! Let's get that jerk! Yeah! YEAAA...oh...

I "defended" you because I didn't think you were the priority. Now, it is true that you could have been providing strategy as some helpful thing...and it turns out you weren't at all, so let's throw away that theorizing.

As for my first post, I honestly didn't care about this game for a good 12 hours into it. I literally thought to myself "Why am I playing this game?"
Now I'm in it for keeps.

Now, Dizzy is being Dizzy and getting a ball rolling. I'm honestly currently torn between voting to scan Brick or J. But let's face it, we'll be assholes to Dizzy, even if we do vote for Mr. J. Gahitsu doesn't concern me so much, but he could be a clever dick of a Thing.

Calorie Mate
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty certain Brickroad started the ball rolling to scan me, which is fine. I honestly don't think we need to scan him yet. I think he's just being Aggressive Brick, which is a really bad strategy if you're the Thing -- but a really GOOD strategy if you assume you're an early convert, and want to hedge your bets so that there's no significant content or plan difference between your existence as a virile, beautiful human and a PRCY-7A monstrosity. Brick is being reverse quiet -- he's putting all his smokescreens in place NOW.

That's a really shitty thing to do, if true. Hedging your bets that you'll be flipped kind of undermines your usefulness to your current team, which sucks. I know Brick will be all "blahblah I'm only in it to win regardless of who I step over" but it still sucks. Plus, y'know, The Thing might not want to pick someone so inconspicuous.

Demonkoala.

He defended me, in a sense, during the first Accusation Blast. Which is a little silly; scans don't NEED defending, in the Thing, and especially the day 1 scan doesn't need it. His first post was essentially "Hey, I'm not sure what you all are going to say, yet, so I'm not saying anything."

I defended you as well, though. I just don't think we should throw away scans on people we don't think are infected...at least, not on Day 1.

Your second point is true, though. He was kind of talking without saying anything.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
We might need to scan Byron again, guys.

I won't deny the possibility that demonkoala is The Thing, it's as much a possibility for anybody except Byron. But his "defense" of Byron as evidence of his infection sounds like bullshit. That was a weak defense, and it doesn't reveal anything shady. A lot of people --except for me--have already shown their incompetence, their submental understanding of the rules and inability to form a clear path to victory.

Demonkoala's blank first post is not uncommon nor unexpected. Just where is the insidiousness, Byron?

I still maintain my suspicion of Mr J. Koala outlined a solid (if soft) reason for his scanning. Any objections there Byron?

I also think we should schedule who to scan the next round. It would definitely tip The Thing off on who not to infect. The way I see it, this will (a) keep one of us completely safe from infection and/or (b) nail The Thing, if he or she happens to be one of the person on schedule--only possible if everyone sticks to the plan and rejects all ifs, ands or buts from the naysayers. Since everyone is horny for Brick, he should get scanned soon, but not immediately after the first night. No, I should get scanned after the first night. My survival is sort of important.

If we establish Brick's innocence after second scan, we can go into the third round working with him more productively. Don't doubt this. Just go with it.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
NOBODY QUESTION POINT (A)!

Kayma
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I vote to scan Dizzy. This is because I'm a scientist. And an Asshole. Capitalization intentional.

Also: I would caution you all to maybe lay low with your cunning plans, for the first day at least. If we all decide to zig a certain way, this gives power to our The Thing to turn someone firmly in our zag. God, that was a clumsy way of saying that.

Brickroad
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I vote to scan whoever Byron tells me to.

Traumadore
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry I'm all incompetent and sub-mental about the rules here, but why is Dizzy's survival important?

Kayma
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry I'm all incompetent and sub-mental about the rules here, but why is Dizzy's survival important?

It's not, is it? The only thing of import is finding our The Thing.

PapillonReel
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I vote to scan whoever Byron tells me to.

Pretty much. Now we know he's clean, we can trust his motives when he offers up the next person to get scanned. However, only for today - after that, he's fair game for the RNG's deciding hand.

I will say that Mr. J's been drawing my suspicion, but nothing really substantial outside out what's been posted already. So... yeah.

Traumadore
05-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, I figure I'll try to add something though it's completely obvious to some I'm sure.

1)Right now the things need 8 converts to win. We cannot kill innocent people, so we have a minimum of 7 days before the game ends. It will not end earlier than day 8. Which is 42 real days from the start (Ohhhh god).

2)Once the Things approach this threshold, killing only one doesn't really buy us any time. For instance if they grow to 7, and we cull them back to 6, they will still have 7 out of 14 the next day and win. Getting chains and multiple kills is the only way to win.

3) Either the game will produce a "quick" loss, an actually brief lucky win, or a drag-out fight where the Things get near-threshold. The increased odds might produce greater chances of hitting them, but not enough to eradicate them after night 3 or 4.

5) I repeat: these rules will take a minimum of 42 real days to conclude.

demonkoala
05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Your calculations are wtf wrong.

Or you're not conveying your message well.

So, this game can end in minimum 24 hours. Why? Because we get a scan every 24 hours, and there is only 1 infected in the first 48.
We also get the chance of max 2 kills a day. Granted, the chance of 2 kills in one day, is stupid slim, but hey its possible.

This game will probably end a lot faster than you think.

Kylie
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Mostly I just wanted a response out of Demon. :)

Thanks, dude.

Dizzy: I wasn't suggesting it was evidence of infection -- there's not really any such THING as evidence of infection. It just set off a little alarm at the beginning of the game. That wasn't as big a deal for me as posting to say he wasn't posting anything, though Garrison did the same thing, there. You don't have to vote my way, because while I'm clean (as most of the rest of you are), I'm still prone to being wrong.

I just profiled a Day 1 Thing for myself, and figured: Weak now. Doesn't want to stand out, and doesn't want to come out against loudmouths. Wants to create early alliances, tuck in under someone else's shadow. Wants to point to his early voting record, at least, and go "Hey, I was right."

There are some pretty good reasons to scan Mr. J, as well. If he's a Thing, he's playing ballsy. And dizzy is correct: J voted against me first.

re: Brick -- hey, you scanned who I told you to for round one, I don't expect this'll be different.

Also, Demon: You think our chances of two killscans in a row is poor? Then we can't win. We HAVE to kill at LEAST two things in a day to win -- more, the later in the game we get. If you don't think we can kill two things in a day, then I have no idea how you expect the game to be over before we reach day 7.

Traumadore's condition is a minimum-fail -- we can LAST at least seven days. We CAN last for longer, or we can conclude the game sooner, but a game where Things win will last at least Seven Days.

Traumadore
05-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Oops, yes, I forgot to mention my implicit pessimism concerning wiping out the Things through sheer luck before there are very few crew members left. Hitting the last Thing when there are 5 players left, for instance, will be much more likely.

demonkoala
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
OK, I get Traumadore's calculations now that I realize days are twice as long...whoops.

I'm just realizing its wednesday and this game started monday too...ha

I do think we can hit multiple Things, but I'm not thinking about day 6. The furthest I'm thinking is day 2. Chances of us hitting 2 things on day 2 is stupid slim. Only 7%. And like The Giant Head said, it does get better day by day...
Anyhow, that was my bad on communication.

Goal: Better communication. Goooo team...except for that one guy that scores points in the wrong set of nets. You just admit to your wrong doings and go straight to the upper deck.

Mr. J
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I still maintain my suspicion of Mr J. Koala outlined a solid (if soft) reason for his scanning. Any objections there Byron?

I also think we should schedule who to scan the next round. It would definitely tip The Thing off on who not to infect. The way I see it, this will (a) keep one of us completely safe from infection and/or (b) nail The Thing, if he or she happens to be one of the person on schedule--only possible if everyone sticks to the plan and rejects all ifs, ands or buts from the naysayers. Since everyone is horny for Brick, he should get scanned soon, but not immediately after the first night. No, I should get scanned after the first night. My survival is sort of important.

If we establish Brick's innocence after second scan, we can go into the third round working with him more productively. Don't doubt this. Just go with it.

Wow, so you accuse me because I proposed some way to pre-determine our votes and then you agree with me? Make up your mind Dizzy and why should we scan you? Care to give something beyond, "Don't doubt it just believe me because I am the savior!" Why don't you stop contradicting yourself and try making a better response.

I nominate Dizzy

Kylie
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Wow, so you accuse me because I proposed some way to pre-determine our votes and then you agree with me? Make up your mind Dizzy and why should we scan you? Care to give something beyond, "Don't doubt it just believe me because I am the savior!" Why don't you stop contradicting yourself and try making a better response.

I nominate Dizzy

This is interesting, because really only one sort of person actually has to WORRY about being scanned at this point in time.

Mr. J
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
This is interesting, because really only one sort of person actually has to WORRY about being scanned at this point in time.

Or maybe cause I don't want to waste a scan

Traumadore
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM

I know, accusing people is weird in this game because it won't kill most of us. It's kind of a neutral gesture. The fact that you're voting for the person that voted for you is kind of funny because it's no big deal. I get that you may think the Thing is personally trying to use you to put one over on the crew, but would it really do that on the first day? I know scanning is the only Verb you guys have access to, but it's not exactly a threat.

Kylie
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
It's also the only way to get people to trust what you've been saying. If you're being targeted by majority for an Evening Scan, it's a really good idea to talk a lot.

Tock
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Byron's comment that the Thing is weakest today is spot-on; their main priority today is to survive until nightfall at all costs. With that in mind, here's a question I'd like to pose to help us narrow down good scan targets for today. Which class of posters seems the best hiding place: the insanely quiet (SpoonyGundam, gahitsu), the averagely quiet (Garrison, kaisel, uh, me), the borderline obstructionists (Mr. J, Brickroad), or the unreadable loudboys (Calories, Dizzy)?

My personal take for now is, in a game where scanning isn't fatal, I don't know why someone who's clean would be combative (Mr. J). I guess in Brick's case, we can just give a comical shrug, mug for the camera, and say, That's our Brick! I'd still like him to take a scan sooner than later, though.

I repeat: these rules will take a minimum of 42 real days to conclude.

Well, that's if we whiff a lot. Personally, I'm hoping we can wipe all our things by Day Three by rooting them out and having them chug Ensign Dizzy's pee-cure, then have a big dance party in the engine room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50hqJS2ock) while those Upper Deckers fret about their dwindling caviar supplies.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I vote to scan Dizzy. This is because I'm a scientist. And an Asshole. Capitalization intentional.

Also: I would caution you all to maybe lay low with your cunning plans, for the first day at least. If we all decide to zig a certain way, this gives power to our The Thing to turn someone firmly in our zag. God, that was a clumsy way of saying that.

Point taken. But why me?

Irony eludes you.

I nominate Dizzy

Where did I agree with you on finding some way to pre-determine our votes? I'm following up on demonkoala's suspicion because while I never thought before that the strategy of laying all our cards on the table now was evident of infected thinking--just bad thinking--now I do. Do you not think there is anything suspicious about nominating me for scanning after I nominated you? You haven't even teased a reason why I (supposing I'm infected) would lead everyone astray.

Byron's comment that the Thing is weakest today is spot-on; their main priority today is to survive until nightfall at all costs. With that in mind, here's a question I'd like to pose to help us narrow down good scan targets for today. Which class of posters seems the best hiding place: the insanely quiet (SpoonyGundam, gahitsu), the averagely quiet (Garrison, kaisel, uh, me), the borderline obstructionists (Mr. J, Brickroad), or the unreadable loudboys (Calories, Dizzy)?

I don't even think we can deduct The Thing by volume alone. How about inspecting some of the possible motives behind each proposed strategy? I'm not going to exclude myself from that.

Mr. J
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I also think we should schedule who to scan the next round.

I think your infected because you seem to be pushing an agenda pritty hard right now and after last game I no longer doubt the thing/mafia's willingness t take a risk.

Think about it this way, if you are clean then we're just pushing your agenda ahead anyways. If you're clean I'll nominate myself to be scanned tomorrow first thing.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
I think your infected because you seem to be pushing an agenda pritty hard right now and after last game I no longer doubt the thing/mafia's willingness t take a risk.

Byron was roaring his plans, too. But if being a loudmouth has become the one criteria for scanning then so be it. You have been moderately active, yet what you have said has tipped at least two players off followed by some sizable voting thus far.

Think about it this way, if you are clean then we're just pushing your agenda ahead anyways. If you're clean I'll nominate myself to be scanned tomorrow first thing.

You better follow through then because I'm willing to do this, and not just you but everyone. Everyone has to be willing to scan you first thing after the Night 1, and you better get scanned because you putting me at risk.

(If you are the Thing, well hat's off. You just bought enough time to infect at least one other person. Better pick someone smart.)

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Also, was that quote me unintentionally agreeing with you on something? Where have you proposed to schedule scannings? I've checked all your posts thus far and haven't seen you propose any such thing. Please point this out for me.

This is what me (and demonkoala) have been irked by:

gahitsu
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Oh hey, guys, I just got out of the shower and there are like two clean towels left and who left all these used ones all over the floo-

OH GOD GUYS THERE ARE MONSTERS HERE WE'RE DOOMED

I'll post when I get off work, I swear! Which is in two hours! KEEP POSTED FOR NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL.

PapillonReel
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Or maybe cause I don't want to waste a scan

As Traumadore was happy enough to point out, we've got seven days minimum before we're in any danger of losing and even then our chances at getting a scan chain only improves as the days go by. I honestly doubt missing one or two scans this early on will hurt us badly in the long run. And hey, if you end up converted there's a chance it won't be for a while after that we'll get back to scanning you again.

So, again: Why so nervous, Mr. J?

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm going to assume you meant this Mr. J:

Third, scanning someone everyday is a waste of a scan, we should scan them every other day. It still makes them a poor target for conversion but it doesn't eat up as many of our scans.

Though I don't see how that was the same as what I proposed here:

Anyways, what I disagreed with you on was this:

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
And now I realize why Brick is being so quiet....

demonkoala
05-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Mr. J's paranoia is one thing but...

putting me at risk.

What risk?

I am also against scheduled scannings.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Of getting infected.

Kylie
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I roared my plans because the questionable efficacy of Project ANGEL isn't affected by the Thing's knowledge thereof.

But I am unquestionably this game's Ben Grimm.

Mr. J and Dizzy are both compelling options for votes. We've still heard next to nothing from both gahitsu and SpoonyGundam.

Calorie Mate
05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
or the unreadable loudboys (Calories, Dizzy)?

I'd just like to say I really like the term "unreadable loudboy".

Anyway, I'll keep my vote on Mr J, but Dizzy's not a bad choice, either. And regardless of who is chosen, I agree with Dizzy that the other person - either Dizzy or Mr J - and Brick should be scanned tomorrow.

demonkoala
05-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Re: Brickroad

@Byron- Why no suspicions? Just curious. Was it mainly because of your thoughts on him as "typical aggressive Brickroad" as voiced earlier?
I just think he would have posted something substantial knowing that byron is currently clean...
@Dizzy- How do you interpret his quietness?

Because my choice Mr. J vs Brickroad, and Byron leans towards J and Dizzy, my scan choice is Mr. J...but overall, I personally feel like Brickroad is the right option.

Kayma
05-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Anyway, I'll keep my vote on Mr J, but Dizzy's not a bad choice, either. And regardless of who is chosen, I agree with Dizzy that the other person - either Dizzy or Mr J - and Brick should be scanned tomorrow.

I would agree with this. Tomorrow we scan J or Dizzy, and Brick.

I, however, will stick with Dizzy for now.

SpoonyGundam
05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Honestly, I think Mr. J is too suspicious to be guilty. It's hard for me to imagine the sole thing posting like he is on the first turn.

My guess is that the thing is someone in the midrange of posters, but who hasn't really offered any real suggestions. Nothing draws attention to someone like posting plans or being quiet/loud. And since there aren't really severe consequences for a failed scan, it's much harder to talk your way out of it here than in other mafia games, and the thing isn't ever going to want to do something that'll put him in that situation.

It's possible that he's just a bad thing who didn't adjust to the new game, sure. And for that reason, I vote to scan Mr. J. But if he's not the thing, I think we should take a closer look at middle of the pack.

Garrison
05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm going Dizzy this time and leaning towards a J/Brickroad combo tomorrow. This is all I have to say for right now.

gahitsu
05-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh hey, guys, I just came back from watching the security camera tapes from the last couple of days! I couldn't see what all happened when it went dark, but man, now I know who's been taking just half of a donut from the box every morning you soulless dieting bastard.

Umm! So. I've been recently trying to walk on my breaks doing Very Important Science Things and not just sitting around browsing the interwebz, for my health! So I've just been peaking in to read updates. And not that often at that! But! I know that being inactive is pretty much a fast track to Thingdom and I want to be converted for my dashing good looks and razor sharp intellectualism, not cause I'm a lazy bum never ever converted ever! But yes. I am making a solemn vow to become more active and chatty and file the officer's logs with chatter, hopefully less inane than not.

For you. <3

Also, I felt bad that I've been cohabiting with that two-time MVP Upper Decker and Byron was the first person to come up with something witty. And I've yet to match the witty! But I'll try and put this forward. Tock put up a list of the different genres of posters so far, and he put me and Spoony in the insanely quiet group (more like insanely awesome amirite). And look, guys. I know that I'm not a Thing - not yet, and maybe not for a while if I start to draw more attention to myself, and set up posting patterns that can later be scrutinized. So I can eliminate at least 50% of that particular quadrant of posters. I ... umm, I was going somewhere with that, really I was. That maybe we could throw out the bottom half, and thus focus on other groups.

That was starting to lead into half-formed, misshapen plan time BUT, I think it'd be good if we focus on the poster types that are most likely to have a hiding Thing first day. My vote's on unreadable loud guys - filling up the log with banter without putting forth anything decisive.

So. My mostly gut-feeling, totally un-MVP stab in the dark is Dizzy. Unless I find someone awesome to bandwagon behind I'm sticking with that.

Officer gahitsu out.

What, I have to bold? Piece of m$#%#7 p#$&u s#&$ f#$&&@ %#$&^#$ @&$^$@ V@#$&@#@.

Like this? I want Dizzy to be poked and prodded and scanned with numerous sharp instruments?

$&%^#$&% #$#&*$ of @#$&#$( all the #$&^#$& @#$*&#$ @#^@$^&@.

this thing's still on?

gahitsu
05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I roared my plans because the questionable efficacy of Project ANGEL isn't affected by the Thing's knowledge thereof.

But I am unquestionably this game's Ben Grimm.

Mr. J and Dizzy are both compelling options for votes. We've still heard next to nothing from both gahitsu and SpoonyGundam.

DAD I TOOOOLD YOU I WAS GOING OVER TO MY BFF JILL'S TO TEXT.

Mr. J
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Of getting infected.

Are implying that the thing will simply convert whomever we scan? Why are you more important than whomever the thing would convert otherwise? Dizzy in case you haven't noticed, there aren't any power roles this time.

Dizzy
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
My vote's on unreadable loud guys - filling up the log with banter without putting forth anything decisive.

I have been decisive. I voted for Mr. J to get scanned and mapped out why repeatedly. But whatever. Mr. J better had better get scanned first thing next round. Though something tells me you will all get too excited about what is in Brick's pants and do him first.

(Maybe I should change my vote to Calorie Mate for being such a vanilla wishy-washy kind of scientist.)

(Nah.)

Are implying that the thing will simply convert whomever we scan?

No.

Why are you more important than whomever the thing would convert otherwise? Dizzy in case you haven't noticed, there aren't any power roles this time.

I was joking.

Kylie
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I vote to scan Mr. J.

Dizzy and brick are absolutely on the docket -- but I really do want more out of Spoony.

PapillonReel
05-26-2010, 07:04 PM
If I wasn't convinced of who to vote for before, I am now that Byron's given the word. I vote to scan Mr. J.

Brickroad
05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I vote to scan Mr. J.

Here is a picture of Mr. J getting back in touch with nature:

http://graphicnovelty.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/swamp-thing.jpg

Garrison
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
So long as Dizzy gets scanned tomorrow, I can dig it.

Let's scan Mr J instead!

Kylie
05-26-2010, 08:33 PM
What's the difference between a clean Dizzy and a corrupt Dizzy?

Garrison
05-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Clean Dizzy gives us useful information for a day, corrupt Dizzy gets us one step closer to winning the game? He's a pretty smart dude, I'd rather have the smart people get checked if we're not going with the quiets.

Despite this, I changed my vote to J because we've got some steam going on with him and you pointed the finger. J's also a pretty smart dude, so I really have no qualms with going with the hunch of our only confirmed crewmate as opposed to my own.

gahitsu
05-26-2010, 10:53 PM
If I wasn't convinced of who to vote for before, I am now that Byron's given the word.

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek metahumor or not.

SpoonyGundam
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
but I really do want more out of Spoony.

I'm not sure what you're expecting here. I don't really have any solid leads, but I've pretty much laid out the group of people that I think is the most suspicious. After three games here of the civilians jumping after quiet players, loud players, or just people who bring up bad plans, I just have a hard time thinking that the thing will be trying to hide in any of those groups. Especially not the quiet group, after you went and said the thing will probably be converting those guys, to the agreement of some others. I doubt the first few conversions will be in any of those groups either.

Sure, he could do the doublethink thing and try to hide in one of those out of the assumption that someone would realize it's a bad idea, which is largely why I'm still voting to scan J, but I really think the risk is too high for such a play on the first day.

Paul le Fou
05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Current votes:

Mr. J: 8
Dizzy
Calorie Mate
SpoonyGundam
Byron
PapillonReel(Can Yo-Yo)
Brickroad
Garrison
The Giant Head

Dizzy: 3
Kayma
Mr. J
Gahitsu
Garrison (withdrawn)

Kayma
05-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Alrighty. We'll get scanny on Dizzy tomorrow, then. Let's scan Mr. J.

gahitsu
05-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Alrighty. We'll get scanny on Dizzy tomorrow, then. Let's scan Mr. J.

It may be too late then!

It seems The Thing has finished off all the Cokes in the fridge. (I'm okay with Mr J too. Lol, bandwagon.)

Kylie
05-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Absolutely Dizzy tomorrow morning. He's a priority.

gahitsu
05-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Absolutely Dizzy tomorrow morning. He's a priority.

It was my stirring speech, right? It was my speech.

Are we counting him as a first scan or a second? Also, when is Brickroad going to have to lie on the cold table? Would he be the first or second scan?

Also, I'm now officially less suspicious than Kaisel, Tock and Spoony. Garrison, Pappy, Trauma, y'all better watch out!

gahitsu
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I almost edited my previous post. How naughty!

Anyhow. I stand emphatically ... errr, excuse me, EMPHATICALLY!!! behind Byron's second scan theory. So I think right now we should be talking about who is up for first scan tomorrow and who is up for second.

... well, maybe not right now! I suppose we don't want to tip off The Thing until the night is over and It has done its crazy voodoo science magic. But let's be thinking about it.

Calorie Mate
05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
It seems The Thing has finished off all the Cokes in the fridge.

That bastard! We'll have its head for this!

Kylie
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Wait, you mean the cokes that DIZZY put in there?

We'll be able to tell the Thing by the one with the terrible internal cramps.

Traumadore
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Also, I'm now officially less suspicious than Kaisel, Tock and Spoony. Garrison, Pappy, Trauma, y'all better watch out!

Wha? Oh wait, yeah, I could see myself as a decent target for Thingdom, with my already-stressin-outness. I guess I'd better say this while I won't be betraying my team:

"Do what you have to!"

Except now I don't know if they'd even want me with that attitude! This game is hard.

Tock
05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't know that scanning J is the correct option, given that we have a pretty sad track record with "go after the suspicious/defensive guy". But eh, I don't have any better ideas at the moment. I vote to scan Mr. J.

He doesn't seem like such a bad Thing from Brick's photo, anyway. Look, he brought us roses!

gahitsu
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Oh Trauma, I was just being cheeky and going by post count.

Also, new plan of action: we'll wait by the bathrooms and shiv the person who's in there the longest with a probe.

Good game, all, you can forward the MVP to my berth back at Terra.

Mr. J
05-27-2010, 06:00 PM
When I come out clean, I want dizzy scanned tomorrow.

gahitsu
05-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Dizzy first, or second?

Also, can we make the flavor text be really innuendo-y? Everyone needs more innuendo. But like, classy.

Kylie
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
First.

No question.

gahitsu
05-27-2010, 09:44 PM
First.

No question.

Well, I thought we were saving the more suspicious people for second, but I guess at this point in the game, it's a moot point.

Paul le Fou
05-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Final votes:

Mr. J: 10
Dizzy
Calorie Mate
SpoonyGundam
Byron
PapillonReel(Can Yo-Yo)
Brickroad
Garrison
The Giant Head
Kayma
Tock

Dizzy: 2
Mr. J
Gahitsu
Kayma (withdrawn)
Garrison (withdrawn)

We got him.
Good job, boss!
Well, we think. He's been acting really suspiciously!
Suspicious how?
Started arguing when he was cornered. A little too hot under the collar, you know. Got all defensive. Even though he's got nothing to lose...
...unless he DOES! Good thinking, boss!
Yeah, well, it's worth a shot.
I get it!
...what?
A shot! Like, with the scanner. Good joke.
...well, get over here, J.

Mr. J got up and stared defiantly at the others. He didn't move. Didn't blink. Finally, scanner module in hand, you took a step forward - and he jumped. Just a bit. Then he snarled.

You were all on him in a flash, wrestling him to the ground. "YOU'LL BE SORRY," he shouted. "I'LL MAKE YOU REGRET THIS UNTIL THE DAY YOU-"
*ponk*
"-OW FUCK"
Sample obtained.
Scanning Process initiated.
Still he struggled, still he writhed as you held him down. His fate was sealed, and all you needed to hear was-

Scan complete.

Mr. J is clean, boss.

You all stood up, puzzled. J punched Dizzy in the kidney before running off to the corner and snarling.
"Told you so," he said.

I don't get it, computer.
Neither do I, boss. Neither do I.

Night fell, and you returned to your bunks. Don't worry, you told yourselves. You'll get him tomorrow.

...you'll get them tomorrow.

It is now Night.

Paul le Fou
05-29-2010, 08:01 AM
You wake up and step into the gangway. It's quiet. You realize it's the first time the ship has been quiet since the accident. It's nice. It almost feels pleasant. You decide to take a stroll to the mess hall and see if any of the remaining food can be made into something resembling a real breakfast.
Good morning boss.
Well, the quiet couldn't last-
I was making some eggs for everyone, but I dropped them.
-forever. Were those eggs safe? The refrigeration is out. You thought the robots were broken, too.

Well, the emergency ration biscuits aren't that bad. Hope Dizzy didn't use them all for his "cure."

It is now morning.

Dizzy
05-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Come get some, assholes.

Tock
05-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Still quiet in the Lower Decks. It's like everyone's walking on eggshells here.

Anyway, I vote to scan demonkoala.

Calorie Mate
05-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Wait, I thought we were planning on scanning Dizzy first today?

And why demonkoala?

Come get some, assholes.

I wish you'd taken the comma out of that sentence.

Kayma
05-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Alright kids. Day two, The Thing has acted.

Yesterday, the general consensus was to scan Dizzy first thing today, with a general inclination to scan Brick second.

If I were The Thing, I'd have picked up on that plan. Now, a pretty good plan would be to scan someone who has already been scanned, since not knowing whether are scanned players remain innocent is the big GAMEPLAY MECHANIC. Still, at this point, there have only been two people scanned. Not a large pool of suspects, and we'd have a 50% chance of striking. Not the best move at this stage.

Instead, I think the best move for The Thing would have been to turn someone who A) wasn't scanned yesterday or B) isn't Dizzy or Brickroad.

This doesn't exonerate Dizzy or Brick; they could well be the original The Thing. We just have to figure out what's the better plan for us; stick to Dizzy and Brick to try to find the original, or scan someone NOT in those two groups for a shot at finding the turned OR the original The Thing?

For now, I'd like to get scanny on Tock.

Calorie Mate
05-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Edit: Ah, Tanto's summary in the other thread reminded me that Byron - our only confirmed clean guy - threw suspicion on demonkoala. Fair enough.

I'm torn between going with the only suggestion we can trust - which odds say will be wrong, given historical citizen ability to do that, but is all we have to go on - and following our already laid-out plan - which ignores the only real information we have/had (which...is bad in the long run), but may be useful to deter the Thing(s) if they see we follow through with our threats.

...hm. Let me think on this.

Calorie Mate
05-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh, that's...a really smart idea, Kayma. I like it. It's ballsy. We run the risk of the Things ignoring our telegraphed plans in the long run, but it's probably the best bet today. I'll go with that - but I think we can use Byron's suggestion alongside it. I accuse demonkoala, too.

Tock
05-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh, that's...a really smart idea, Kayma. I like it. It's ballsy. We run the risk of the Things ignoring our telegraphed plans in the long run, but it's probably the best bet today. I'll go with that - but I think we can use Byron's suggestion alongside it. I accuse demonkoala, too.

That's precisely my reasoning. Zig where we said we'd zag, as Kayma said yesterday. I'd be willing to hear cases for anyone who isn't Dizzroad, but since Byron raised suspicion against DK yesterday I figured it was as good a starting point as any.

Kylie
05-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Kayma is absolutely correct. I vote to scan Tock as the first order of the day.

Mr. J
05-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Agree that scanning Tock is a good order of business. The man's been just loud enough to be active, but quiet enough to not draw too much attention.

I was hoping to follow our forecasts for at least a bit before we did this, but okay. I wouldn't be surprised if the thing double-thought us and is/converted dizroad.

Mr. J
05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
oops, I nominate Tock

Other people who fit in the profile are Garrison and the Giant Head. Traumador hasn't done too much besides discuss some numbers, which appears to me as a good way to be involved in something that won't get you scanned.

Tock
05-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah, no, I'm going to have to push back on this a bit. demonkoala was a target put forward by someone we can trust--clean, Day 1 Byron--who laid out a reasonable-enough case. I'm being nominated for...why again? Oh, that's right, Kayma and Day 2 Byron didn't give any reasoning at all. And Mr. J suggested that I didn't post much Day 1? It's friggin Day 1 which is a crapshoot no matter what Mafia variant we're playing. Plus you guys got in all the good Thing puns before I could.

I recognize that Day 2 is only marginally less of a crapshoot than Day 1, but let's use a little logic here, or at the very least, put our poorly thought-out plans out in the open, Kayma and Day 2 Byron.

Kayma
05-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Tock, I voted for you for two reasons. One, because you're a member of the subset I outlined in my post. Two, because unfortunate luck to throw out an accusation, and that made me pick you. Doesn't matter, you were as good as any other.

The reason I'm not going to be taking my vote off you now is because you're being all fussy about it. If you were innocent, you could easily take a scan in stride. Your little bout of malice here is betraying you.

Kayma
05-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Two, because you had the unfortunate luck to throw out an accusation, and that made me pick you. Doesn't matter, you were as good as any other.

Garrison
05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
My vote is for Tock. This is absolutely the correct choice as far as I'm concerned. We either get a Thing or a smart dude to back our second scan.

Let's rock and roll

Tock
05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
If you were innocent, you could easily take a scan in stride. Your little bout of malice here is betraying you.

Malice, really? I'm asking you to explain your reasoning. I guess it'll look like a malicious act when I come out clean and you're under suspicion because you went after a clean scan and didn't feel like you had to justify yourself.

Tock
05-29-2010, 03:33 PM
This is absolutely the correct choice as far as I'm concerned. We either get a Thing or a guy ten minutes too slow on the uptake to back our second scan.

Remember M3! REMEMBER M3

Mr. J
05-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I retract my accusation of Tock. Kayma on the other hand is looking a bit suspicious. So, we aren't suppose to defend ourselves now? That last guy who defended himself was totally the thing you know? You're pushing fairly hard right out of the gate and I don't like it.

Now, a pretty good plan would be to scan someone who has already been scanned, since not knowing whether are scanned players remain innocent is the big GAMEPLAY MECHANIC.

I don't really agree with this. I think we should make our scans based on ignoring who we scanned yesterday. Everyone who is clean can be turned regardless of when/if they were scanned. Right now I think we should set out a wide net and not restrict ourselves too much because we've already blown the one advantage we could have had.

Brickroad
05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Tock and demonkoala as young'uns:

http://eardstapa.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/thing1thing2.jpeg

I vote to scan TOCK.

Kayma
05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
[B]
I don't really agree with this. I think we should make our scans based on ignoring who we scanned yesterday. Everyone who is clean can be turned regardless of when/if they were scanned. Right now I think we should set out a wide net and not restrict ourselves too much because we've already blown the one advantage we could have had.

Our net is only ever the same size. If we don't restrict the amount of potential scannies, we're not casting a larger net; we're casting the same net in a bigger ocean.

Also, I'm not saying someone being scanned shouldn't defend themselves; an inno on the chopping block (so to speak) owes it to the town to make their innocence known. Tock just seemed a little... forceful to me. Worried even. Again, Demonkoala would've been just as good a choice as Tock according to my logic; I just picked Tock to stir the pot, and I think I might have hit.

Kylie
05-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Tock was the original plan.

We're still in Scan 1 for today. Even if we don't killscan, Tock's a good place to start.

SpoonyGundam
05-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm glad somebody already pointed out the flaw in the Dizzy scanning plan.

And I think Tock is a good scanning target too. He's known to be a pretty sharp guy and he isn't a loudmouth that would be on the verge of being scanned every day like some other players here. He'd be a very valuable convert for the thing, I think, more so than Brick or Dizzy or Byron.

I vote to scan Tock.

Dizzy
05-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Ah! But how do you know my idea to schedule planning was in fact another red herring alongside the red herrings to schedule me and Brick for scanning today and last round was nothing but a misleading show trial? But then, how do we all know that The Thing isn't wise to the ruses of the voting majority and will act accordingly, doing the complete opposite of the voting majority doing the complete opposite of the opposite? And can we still continue to trust either Mr. J or Byron just because they became clean? One of them would could be infected because The Thing could think that everyone would think he would be too stupid to do something like that, and do it anyways knowing the leverage it would grant both him and his newly infected. There is no way we can trust anybody or know anything for sure. We are all going to die.

kaisel
05-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I agree with Kayma to a degree, depending on how ballsy the Thing is. This game isn't quite as risky as previous games in certain ways, since losing one Thing is a much smaller set back than it is in a traditional game (so long as we only get one). I like Kayma's reasoning here though, the plan that's known longest is probably what the Thing based his strategy on, though there will be diminishing returns to this idea.

For now, I accuse Tock, and would actually consider Kayma a good second choice, due to him actually shaping the game to such a large degree this day (and fairly early on).

RE: Innocents' Defense (and Tock).

I don't think Tock was really too forceful, anyone who's accused will fight fairly hard. Each scan is important, since we only narrow the suspect pool for a day, and any Uninfected would want us not to waste our scans.

Brickroad
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I don't think Tock was really too forceful, anyone who's accused will fight fairly hard.

I won't.

Calorie Mate
05-30-2010, 01:19 AM
I won't.

Might I ask your reasoning for this? I think someone innocent should definitely try to put up a good fight, because they know it's a waste of a scan that could otherwise potentially catch a Thing.

Or...are you yankin' our chains?

Anyway, I'm...ok with Tock, though he isn't my first choice. I still think demonkoala - Byron's clean Day 1 pick - is best, because he's a bigger unknown. However, our first scan of the day isn't a complete waste if we confirm someone useful as clean and trustworthy, so I guess Tock or Kayma would both be good choices in that regard. I'll keep my nomination of demonkoala up for the time being, but if everyone agrees this is the better course of action then I think we can get something out of it.

Brickroad
05-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Might I ask your reasoning for this?

No.

Calorie Mate
05-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Well...ok, then.

Can I at least ask you what I really want to know, then: have you been storing up these Thing pictures since the game was announced, or is it a spur-of-the-moment Google image thing?

Brickroad
05-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Can I at least ask you--

No.

Paul le Fou
05-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Current votes:

Tock: 6
Kayma
Byron
Garrison
Brickroad
SpoonyGundam
kaisel
Mr. J (withdrawn)

demonkoala: 2
Tock
Calorie Mate

demonkoala
05-30-2010, 07:14 AM
This is going in all sorts of silly directions.

So, we can't trust Byron anymore...and in fact, I think we should trust him less.

Well, day 1, he was indeed suspicious of me.
Reason: I "defended" him in an attempt to move to voting for J. Fair, but the reason was that I didn't think we ought to waste our time with Byron. He actually was alright with my explanation and was no longer suspicious.
My current suspicion rises from the fact that he has posted since Tock and Calories have and hasn't attempted to say "aw naw, I wasn't really suspicious"...in an attempt to throw suspicion off himself? I mean, if I were the Thing, I would have infected either J or Byron.
Also his post of "Tock was the original plan" (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=771732&postcount=180) is off the wall for me

Also, I posted on this earlier, playing dumb and seeing what Dizzy's reaction was to a similar notion (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=769311&postcount=123).
This actually lead me to believe that Dizzy was clean at the time.

Now as for our current movement, as much as I do agree with Kayma, we really have no reason to single out Tock, except that him thinking I'm infected must mean that he is more likely to be a thing-son-of-a-bitch. Wait no it isn't...damnit! I am fine with doing someone random for turn 1, but I am going to guess one of those folk that has voted Tock for now is more likely to be a converted Thing...

BUT, I would like to remind everyone the reason we wanted to scan Dizzy/Brickroad was not because we thought they may be converted, but because they might be things from the start. At least that's what I've thought about Brickroad. I would like to scan Brickroad for round 2 today.

You know what? I can't shake it that Byron was probably converted and he did vote for Tock...that's my criteria. I nominate Byron for the scan.

Kylie
05-30-2010, 09:46 AM
We can't trust me, because I stopped being suspicious of you?

Think about that one.

We can't trust me, because I'm potentially compromised.

But I trust me. And by voting for me, you're implementing the plan that I suggested at the beginning, the one everybody said wasn't real good.

Dizzy
05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Guys, I think we should plan to trick The Thing into believing our "plans" if you know what mean. He'll never know what hit him!

Dizzy
05-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I vote to scan SpoonyGundam.

My intuition tells me both Spoony and Kayma are in cahoots.

Calorie Mate
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
This is true. A lot of us agreed yesterday that rescanning yesterday's innocents today was a bad idea. Just like a lot of us agreed yesterday that scanning Dizzy and Brickroad today was a good idea. These are both opinions that The Thing could very well have taken into consideration last night. If we are zigging where we said we were going to zag today (like how we're not really planning on scanning Dizzy right now), scanning you is an idea that may have some merit, or should at least be discussed.

True, we shouldn't outright dismiss it right away. I'd caution against making stupid moves and wasting scans just so we're constantly "zagging", though. Again, there might be some merit there, but doing it just for the sake of doing it is tricky business.

Traumadore
05-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Also, I'm not saying someone being scanned shouldn't defend themselves; an inno on the chopping block (so to speak) owes it to the town to make their innocence known. Tock just seemed a little... forceful to me. Worried even.

A regular citizen in mafia cannot make their innocence known, it just doesn't work. And in this game the consequences for being wrong aren't immediate, so it seems like it isn't as bad to miss. We could even have a policy of "No Defense Posts" and it wouldn't change much in this game. In fact it might even benefit the clean crewmembers.

Destil
05-30-2010, 07:15 PM
A regular citizen in mafia cannot make their innocence known, it just doesn't work. And in this game the consequences for being wrong aren't immediate, so it seems like it isn't as bad to miss. We could even have a policy of "No Defense Posts" and it wouldn't change much in this game. In fact it might even benefit the clean crewmembers.

So it's up to other people to defend accused crew members? Sounds like a good setup for Things to steamroll decision making later on in the game. No no no. Being blase about baseless scans is super crappy too, no doubt about that.

Also, a bumbling genius is still a genius. I vote Tock to get innuendo'd.

gahitsu
05-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Also, I'm not saying someone being scanned shouldn't defend themselves; an inno on the chopping block (so to speak) owes it to the town to make their innocence known. Tock just seemed a little... forceful to me. Worried even.

So it's up to other people to defend accused crew members? Sounds like a good setup for Things to steamroll decision making later on in the game. No no no. Being blase about baseless scans is super crappy too, no doubt about that.

Also, a bumbling genius is still a genius. I vote Tock to get innuendo'd.

(Umm, I guess Destil was still logged into my computer when I posted this? I thought I was logged under gahitsu! Double posting in case you want to delete Destil's post.)

Brickroad
05-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Haha Destil made a sock so he could play in both games? How very Marion of him!

Dizzy
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Is gahitsu Destil's special little brother? :confused:

Kayma
05-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Looks like we've got bigger problems than The Thing....

gahitsu
05-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Is gahitsu Destil's special little brother? :confused:

I'm going to bring up this quote the next time we make out! C:

I retract my vote of Tock.

I vote to scan Destil's nethers. Before he can make back up to the top deck, hurry!

Paul le Fou
05-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Final votes:

Tock: 6
Kayma
Byron
Garrison
Brickroad
SpoonyGundam
kaisel
Destil??? (withdrawn)
Mr. J (withdrawn)

demonkoala: 2
Tock
Calorie Mate

Byron: 1
demonkoala

SpoonyGundam: 1
Dizzy

DESTIL?!?!??!: 3
The Giant Head
Gahitsu...?!
Seriously check your goddamn accounts next tiiiiiiime

Tick Tock. Time's up on the clock. Thing is gonna drop and we're all gonna rock.
That's catchy, boss. I like it.
Yeah? I've had it kicking around all day. I kinda zoned out when one of the upper decker's voices drifted through a vent or something, and people started trying to scan him.
I don't think that would work very well, boss.
Neither do I. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one taking this seriously.
It's a very dangerous situation we're in, boss.
Yeah yeah, sure. Want some fruit punch? We found a pineapple.
You didn't let Dizzy make it again, did you?
... Let's go, Tock. Hey, do you want to finish this fruit punch?

*ponk*
Sample obtained.
Scanning process initiated.
Tick Tock.
Tick Tock.
"Stop that."
Tick Tock.
"Cut it out."
Tick Tock.
"I wish I were infected so I could justify killing you."
Scan complete.

Tock is clean, boss.

Votes are reset. It is now Day. Still.

Paul le Fou
05-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Also:

Consider yourselves warned: if you make nonsense votes, your GM will come back with nonsense results. I'll probably be as sadistic as possible in the process. Go ahead, make my day.

Traumadore
05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
This game has been pretty quiet lately; I guess a holiday weekend is kind of a bad time to be playing a game that relies on being at home on your computer. Hopefully tomorrow we'll be back on schedule.

I'm heading out for most of the day myself. I don't think demonkoala is all that suspicious though. Reading his posts he seems just as confused as me about what kind of behavior would be beneficial to the Things. Hilariously, saying this will probably get you to lump me in the same group with him but I just don't see it. I feel like the Thing would have a clear goal, and at this point it is still to remain off the radar. The odds are still so heavily in their favor of not being found that having a serious discussion about who to scan isn't ideal. They would not chime in unless one of them was chosen, and they may not even then, considering they could just rebuild their number tomorrow and roll the dice again.

I don't believe they will seriously try to bend popular opinion until there are 4 of them (about 25% chance of being randomly found). Right now the things aren't talking, I'm certain of it.

Kylie
05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Tock has the floor.

Traumadore
05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Tock has the floor.

Tock's not going to storm in with some amazing nugget of logic. Do you have any thoughts?

Calorie Mate
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, put me down for "not much time on holiday weekend" as well. Tomorrow will be better, I promise.

I'm heading out for most of the day myself. I don't think demonkoala is all that suspicious though. Reading his posts he seems just as confused as me about what kind of behavior would be beneficial to the Things.

Tock's not going to storm in with some amazing nugget of logic. Do you have any thoughts?

Yeah, I voted for demonkoala before, but that was because I was following clean Byron's previous suggestion. He seemed as good as anyone else at the time. In reality, I've got no clue who to vote for at this stage. I started to think we should look at whoever voted for all three of our clean guys, but then thought the Thing would double think that, and...yeah.

So basically: it's really tough to tell right now, so I'm willing to put my stock in whoever comes back clean unless I absolutely disagree, or if a better idea comes along.

So yes, Tock has the floor.

demonkoala
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
We can't trust me, because I stopped being suspicious of you?

Think about that one.

No, I was suspicious that you didn't clairfiy to people that you were no longer suspicious of me, when others were suspicious of me because you had suspicions of me even though you weren't suspicious of me

Think about that one.

(Yeah, I purposefully made that difficult...)

But anyhow, phase 1 is done now, and nothing can be done of that. Waiting for Tock. Still suspicious of Brickroad #1. Kill the things. Mob mob pitchforks etc.

Kayma
05-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Let's take a look at some new data. Here's a list of people who voted for Tock, now a known innocent, including those who withdrew:

Kayma
Byron
Garrison
Brickroad
SpoonyGundam
kaisel
Gahitsu
Mr. J

Now, if we remove yesterday's scans (Byron, Mr. J) and today's "planned" scans (Brick and Dizzy, who was off doing his own thing entirely) we are left with Suspect List A. Further, I've compiled Suspect List B which is, essentially, everyone else who didn't vote for Tock.

Suspect List A: Voted for Tock
Kayma
Garrison
SpoonyGundam
Kaisel
Gahitsu

Suspect List B: Didn't vote for Tock
PapillonReel
The Giant Head
Traumadore
demonkoala
Calorie Mate

So, we could pick a name out of one of these two lists based on whether we think The Thing would vote for what it knows to be innocent to further its own goals (List A), or hang back and let the innocents muck about (List B).

Conversely, we could do something else entirely.

Kylie
05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
No, I was suspicious that you didn't clairfiy to people that you were no longer suspicious of me, when others were suspicious of me because you had suspicions of me even though you weren't suspicious of me

Think about that one.

(Yeah, I purposefully made that difficult...)

But anyhow, phase 1 is done now, and nothing can be done of that. Waiting for Tock. Still suspicious of Brickroad #1. Kill the things. Mob mob pitchforks etc.

I wasn't suspicious of you for the sake of other people.

Kayma's lists are neat. The Things still haven't had a chance to talk, but splitting a vote isn't too hard to accomplish -- I think that's the most likely strategy - waiting for one Thing to drop a vote, then going off in a different direction. The Things both know who they are, right, even though they haven't talked?

Dizzy
05-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Great list, Kayma. Too bad it doesn't give us the slightest clue who the infected could be.

Kayma
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Great list, Kayma. Too bad it doesn't give us the slightest clue who the infected could be.

Keep up those helpful comments, Dizzy mah boy. We'll find those things in no time!

gahitsu
05-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Well, no, I think Dizzy's right. The list is pretty useless in this form of Mafia.

I mean, right now there are 13 ... err, excuse me, 12 people who are not infected and from the looks of it are just flailing around at random. And there are two people who are less flailing than the others.

I mean, the Things could vote for the innocent guy. Or not! Why make a bad track record for yourself when the group's already shown a pre-deposition for bandwagoning?

Anyhow, second scan of the day. Too early to scan Brickroad? Is Paul really angry?

Dizzy
05-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Keep up those helpful comments, Dizzy mah boy. We'll find those things in no time!

I've accepted a long time there are no useful ways to smoke out the infected before they outnumber us. Maybe Round 3 we'll have more data. So for now, I'll shoot from the hip.

I vote to scan SpoonyGundam.

Kylie
05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, no, I think Dizzy's right. The list is pretty useless in this form of Mafia.

I mean, right now there are 13 ... err, excuse me, 12 people who are not infected and from the looks of it are just flailing around at random. And there are two people who are less flailing than the others.

I mean, the Things could vote for the innocent guy. Or not! Why make a bad track record for yourself when the group's already shown a pre-deposition for bandwagoning?

Hmmm, you're right. Things are impossible to detect, and we're all dead.

gahitsu
05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Hmmm, you're right. Things are impossible to detect, and we're all dead.

Sassy much!

Just saying, looking at voting patterns is rather useless at this point, especially when all the Things have to do is watch their traps. Voting patterns are pretty much useless; maybe digests would be worth it, but trying to analyze one scan and hope to glean something useful is just spinning wheels.

Brickroad
05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
I vote to scan whoever Tock does.

Kayma
05-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Brick, I'm elated to see you've adopted the "dicks in mah faaaaaaaaaaaace" strategy. :D

Brickroad
05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm sure I don't know what dicks you're facing about.

I mean talking about.

Whatever.

Tock
05-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I vote to scan whoever Tock does.

That makes things simple enough.

Mr. J
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
I vote to scan Brickroad

Tock already voted and he's been super quiet. What has he actually done guys?

Brickroad
05-31-2010, 10:27 PM
I vote to scan myself, because Tock told me to.

Mr. J
05-31-2010, 10:27 PM
I vote to scan Brickroad
Is not double posting

Garrison
05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
I vote to scan Brickroad

PapillonReel
05-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I missed a lot (sorry, life stuffs), but I think I'm caught up now. I don't see anything wrong in falling in behind the clean's plan for today, so let's scan Brick, everybody.

SpoonyGundam
05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
The Things both know who they are, right, even though they haven't talked?

I thought the idea was that the newly converted thing doesn't know anything about the other things, so he'd be completely alone for one day. Or was that rule scrapped? There have been so many variations that I'm honestly not completely sure.

Part of me wants to wait and scan Brick first sometime, just to see if it pushes him out of his "follow the leader" strategy and into something that could actually be helpful.

But he'd probably just go with an RNG again, so I vote to scan Brickroad just to get him out of everyone's mind for a little while.

Dizzy
05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
(sorry, life stuffs)

Yeah, you know can you keep that stuff under control? This is important.

Don't we have to make sure this second scan results in eliminating an actual Thing to have any hope of winning? I sure hope so.

Brickroad
05-31-2010, 10:42 PM
You folks might stop to think: if Brickroad were a The Thing, why is he so eager to be scanned?

You might also stop to think: if Brickroad were clean, why is he so eager to be scanned?

You might also stop to think: wait -- is Brickroad eager to be scanned?

You might also stop to think: is Brickroad trying to get in our heads? Are we double-thinking him? Is he double-thinking us?

You might not stop to think anything, though.

Kylie
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Tock's our Clean for today, so for the moment, this is as good as any other plan. Got anything you really want out there, Brick, before we confirm that everything you've said is trustworthy and/or poisonous?

Brickroad
05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Got anything you really want out there, Brick, before we confirm that everything you've said is trustworthy and/or poisonous?

What, exactly, have I said?

Kayma
05-31-2010, 11:07 PM
I thought the idea was that the newly converted thing doesn't know anything about the other things, so he'd be completely alone for one day. Or was that rule scrapped? There have been so many variations that I'm honestly not completely sure.

I wouldn't mind some verification on this as well.

In the meantime, I vote to scan SpoonyGundam, because Brick is using the only innocent defense that makes sense: laissez god damn faire

gahitsu
05-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Where is everyone all hot and bothered to scan Dizzy today? Screw this, man. Vote to scan Brickroad blah blah blah.

Maybe tomorrow we'll all start to be the chatterboxes those holier-than-thou officers on the top deck are already.

Tock
05-31-2010, 11:30 PM
It's kind of disconcerting how quickly that got people moving, but whatever. The first couple of days are a bit of a crapshoot, so I'm not going to make a big deal out of this, but: as we get into the mid-game, if we keep blindly following the intuition of our lone verified clean scan, we are going to lose. Any number of Things working together is going to outsmart a lone actor. (Unless our lone actor turns out to be just that badass, in which case, well, good on you.)

Why Brick: Because we also need to establish that we will zag when we say we zag.

Tomorrow's first scan should be either gahitsu or Garrison.

Dizzy
05-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Tomorrow's first scan should be either gahitsu or Garrison.

Thing Translation: It will mostly likely be Dizzy or Brick (again).

Ha ha! I shall live yet again!

Kylie
05-31-2010, 11:46 PM
What, exactly, have I said?

Nothing. Which is why I wanted to know if there was anything you wanted to say, to prevent a possibly-clean-scan from being a waste.

Brickroad
05-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Nothing. Which is why I wanted to know if there was anything you wanted to say, to prevent a possibly-clean-scan from being a waste.

Would it help if I said I'm not a The Thing? Something tells me if I were to say "Hey guys! I'm not a The Thing!" that nobody would believe me and you'd all just waste a scan anyway.

I'll promise you this though: if I'm clean, I'll use my very first post tomorrow morning to tell everyone not to scan me, so they don't end up repeating their mistake and wasting another scan.

demonkoala
06-01-2010, 01:06 AM
I wasn't suspicious of you for the sake of other people.

Are you misreading everything I type?
I am suspicious because you didn't clarify to other people (who were suspicious of me) what your stance was, because they had misinterpreted you.

I know I don't like to be wrongly portrayed.

Anyhow, I'm glad that there is a movement to scan Brickroad.

Brickroad
06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
I am suspicious because you didn't clarify to other people (who were suspicious of me) what your stance was, because they had misinterpreted you.

Guys I... I'm not sure I like the face demonkoala was making when he said this...

http://billsmovieemporium.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/thething460.jpg

Paul le Fou
06-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Current votes:

Brickroad: 9
Tock
Brickroad
Mr. J
Garrison
PtolemyRice
SpoonyGundam
Byron
gahitsu
demonkoala

SpoonyGundam: 2
Dizzy
Kayma

Tock
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't get me wrong, this isn't because Brick has incriminated himself in some way. We said yesterday that we'd scan Brick with our second Day 2 scan, and now we're going to do it. Just like we said we'd go after Dizzy with our first Day 1 scan, and then didn't.

Anyway, it will be good to know that his images are being posted with clear intentions.

Calorie Mate
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
In the meantime, I vote to scan SpoonyGundam, because Brick is using the only innocent defense that makes sense: laissez god damn faire

Again, I have a problem with not letting citizens defend themselves, because it is a waste of a scan. I'm personally more bothered by the idea of letting us waste a scan to prove you're innocent, you know?

And for that reason, I wasn't convinced we should waste this on Brick, but then Tock went and explained himself:

Why Brick: Because we also need to establish that we will zag when we say we zag.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't because Brick has incriminated himself in some way. We said yesterday that we'd scan Brick with our second Day 2 scan, and now we're going to do it. Just like we said we'd go after Dizzy with our first Day 1 scan, and then didn't.

I'm not down with zagging just for the sake of zagging, but I think this definitely helps keep the Things off balance a bit. Not making our intentions so easy to guess can only be a good thing. I nominate Brickroad.

as we get into the mid-game, if we keep blindly following the intuition of our lone verified clean scan, we are going to lose. Any number of Things working together is going to outsmart a lone actor. (Unless our lone actor turns out to be just that badass, in which case, well, good on you.)

http://www.awesomeallday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/beard.jpg

Kylie
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM

It is not my job to divert suspicion from you. Everybody else has access to the same resources you do; the conclusions they come to are their own.

Mr. J
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Again, I have a problem with not letting citizens defend themselves, because it is a waste of a scan. I'm personally more bothered by the idea of letting us waste a scan to prove you're innocent, you know?

I completely agree. Citizens should defend themselves. Even though they aren't dead if we miss, the things are still one step closer to winning. The things want us to waste scans. When we scan someone one of two things happens.

1. We hit a thing and they're killed.

2. We hit a clean.

#2 is the option the things want us to hit so they can win. Just because we don't go down a standard, we are still moving towards a thing victory. So lets have our cleans put up a defense.

Dizzy
06-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Defenses are pointless. As the past couple of scans have proven, when someone tries to defend themselves their defense becomes the surest sign of infection. Even silence or brevity tips us off. Talk too much and you're becoming too defensive. Talk too little and you're becoming too evasive. We all know we're gonna scan them anyways, so why even bother demanding they argue otherwise?

Unless one of them puts down a strong strategy that we can use or miraculously lets slip something we can all harp on (not likely, unless their infection has gone to their head), it's all a bunch of hot air. It's distracting us from our inevitable downward spiral.

Tock wants to fulfill our "promise" to scan Brick, but what is that promise based on? Why is Brick so suspicious? Because he's Brick, that's why. There is no good reason why this guy is getting scanned despite all lip service to the contrary.

If he's shown to be clean for the second scan, that will not carry into the third round. He can still get infected. If you really needed to prove his reliability--I don't know why, his performance has been as good as everyone else's--this should have been done in the first scan instead of this "zig zag" strategy that is quickly looking like the "fly by the seat of my pants" strategy.

This is all a sham, and you're all going to die. Including me. We might as well drink the last of the Titanberry wine. Too bad we can ignite the lower deck with nitroglycerin and call it a life.

I still maintain my vote for SpoonyGundam. I don't know, I just got a feeling about that guy. Maybe I'll haggle him if he gets mouthy.

Kylie
06-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Brick is doing everything he can to be as unhelpful as possible, and to say as little as possible. If we look to our 1Scans to help lead, he is worthless as a 1Scan. The latter half of the day is the only time scanning him is useful. Dizzy's right in that there are plenty of good reasons not to scan Brickroad. But unless Dizz can offer up better than "My Gut Sez" then it's one gut against another, and there's not a better reason to scan anyone else.

But you know what? I'll play this game.

I retract my accusation of Brickroad, and vote to scan SpoonyGundam.

Brickroad
06-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Brick is doing everything he can to be as unhelpful as possible, and to say as little as possible.

Dude, no. I'm trying to help, I just suck at this game.

Brickroad
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Anyway voting for yourself is stupid.

I vote to scan SpoonyGundam, whoever that is.

Kylie
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
You are? Dang. I musta missed something, all that not sayin' anything. Did you get infected in the last hour?

SpoonyGundam
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Maybe I'll haggle him if he gets mouthy.

Sure. Go for it.

What do you want to haggle me about?

I will say that if the tide actually turns to me, I'll try to post a suspicion list before the day is over. Unless someone thinks that's a bad idea? It's one of the few ways to get confirmed uncorrupted information out of a second scan, so I don't see why not.

Dizzy
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I will say that if the tide actually turns to me, I'll try to post a suspicion list before the day is over. Unless someone thinks that's a bad idea? It's one of the few ways to get confirmed uncorrupted information out of a second scan, so I don't see why not.

How's this going to cure my depression?

kaisel
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I vote to scan Brickroad, since he seems to be trying to do Eddie's strategy in the last game (be rather unhelpful, though quite entertaining) in hopes of not being infected or something, but it seems even worse this game, and Brick did call Eddie out on that. Though, this might be subject to change since I don't think Brick's that careless...

And I want to apologize for how little I've been posting in the thread, I just started a new job, and I don't know their internet policies at the moment, so I'm only able to get online after work.

SpoonyGundam
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
How's this going to cure my depression?

You'll never get better if you just expect someone to fix it for you.

Mr. J
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I retract my nomination of Brickroad and nominate Dizzy

Seriously? So we shouldn't listen to defenses because we shouldn't listen to defenses? Their defense only becomes the surest sign of infection because you think that a defense isn't needed for a clean. Talk about circular reasoning. Speaking of defenses, you seem to be unusually happy to throw the suspicion off of yourself. What happened to the "scan me cause otherwise you can't trust me" from yesterday? Did you get converted? Why spoonygundam, is it because he's Brickroad's first target and you knew you could sway him?

Kylie
06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Dizzy's depressed cause he's been drinking the last of the Titanberry Wine... over, and over, and over again...

Mr. J
06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Dizzy's depressed cause he's been drinking the last of the Titanberry Wine... over, and over, and over again...

Well Dizzy's little "depressed" story has sidelined 3 votes so far.

SpoonyGundam
06-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't remember being Brick's first target. I'm pretty sure that Dizzy was the first guy that nominated me.

I do kind of agree that defenses are worthless, though. The stakes for getting scanned aren't as high as getting lynched, so it's less likely that someone will back off because of the defense, and they all amount to "Well I know I'm innocent!" anyway.

It's more worthwhile for someone about to be scanned to be putting out as many of their thoughts as they can than it is to try and defend himself. Especially the guys for the second scan. I think suspect lists are a good place to start. While the infected could potentially use them to influence their conversions, it's more of a starting point than a hard "We'll absolutely scan these guys tomorrow" type thing like the previous plan.

Getting confirmed uncorrupted information can be useful. It's the entire reason why people want to listen to the first scan target, so the second scan should play ball too. Absolutely refusing to say anything about your thoughts or answer any questions just ensures that your scan was entirely useless rather than mostly useless.

Tock
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I do kind of agree that defenses are worthless, though. The stakes for getting scanned aren't as high as getting lynched, so it's less likely that someone will back off because of the defense, and they all amount to "Well I know I'm innocent!" anyway.

Absolutely not. It's in the best interests of the uninfected that everyone staring down a scan defend themselves rigorously. Who's more likely to make a mistake and rat out his pals: a Thing on the defensive, or a Thing who can just shrug and say, "Fine, scan me, it's cool"?

On Brick, again: Brick's reputation has absolutely no bearing on why I want to scan him today. The town seemed to have a general consensus that we would scan Dizzy and Brick today--whether or not those two were picked due to reputation on Day 1 doesn't matter to me on Day 2. My concern right now, while we're short on leads, is to be sure that we're no more predictable to the Things than they are to us. Also, as Byron noted, I'm not sure Brick would play along as the first scan of the day--he has his gameplan, and his reasons for that gameplan, and I'm happy to leave him to it and put him to the second scan.

We don't have much evidence to work with at this point, so I defy you to pick anyone who is definitively more or less suspicious than anyone else (other than me, of course). If you have an open and shut case against Spoony or anyone else, go for it. If any of you want to switch your votes and scan someone else, that's fine too--as I said before, trusting our daily clean scan isn't a sustainable plan (unless, as Calories pointed out, one of you guys is actually MacReady). For what it's worth, though, I'm not switching my vote.

SpoonyGundam
06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
If I ever see someone actually put forth an effective defense here, I'll eat my hat. As it is, I can't imagine anyone saying much beyond "I know I'm innocent!" in this game. And if they do, I can't imagine anyone actually giving it much thought and backing off. Hell, your defense earlier just got people more suspicious of you.

And I certainly can't imagine a thing independently making as colossal a screw up as you seem to think can happen. If there's honestly any chance that it's possible, why would a thing respond to an obvious bandwagon with anything other than "Go ahead and scan me," given the track record of people getting out of scans in this game?

It's still early, and I could certainly be proven wrong, but I really don't see defenses amounting to much in this game. I absolutely think the defendant's energy would be better spent elsewhere.