PDA

View Full Version : Is Fun Club working?

Calorie Mate
08-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Is everybody here happy with the way Fun Clubs are going? I'm sort of split on them.

On the one hand, I like the feeling that everybody's playing the same thing. It's pretty cool.

On the other hand, I find myself not posting in the threads very often because I'm afraid of spoilers...and when the games are split into three seperate threads, I only post after I've finished that particular section, largely missing out on most of the discussion. In some ways, I'd feel opening a thread at the end of the week, when everyone's played the game already, would work better...but there are problems with that method, too, so I dunno. All I know is, when I'm avoiding or missing out on the conversation each week, it's kind of defeating the purpose of having these discussion groups.

...but hey, this isn't just about me. I'm genuinely curious on how well everyone else thinks this thing is going. We're never going to see improvements if we don't occasionally fine-tune things, right?

Parish
08-31-2007, 12:52 AM
I think it's fine -- the alternate and MGS3 and Etrian Odyssey selections have done really well, and I assume BioShock was a success (haven't read it, but it earned lots of replies). Focusing on brand new games may not be the way to go, especially games that don't really lend themselves to discussion like Metroid Prime 3.

One possibility might be to separate spoiler discussion from non-spoiler, i.e. story versus general gameplay. Or something.

Most likely Fun Club will see the most interest during the off-season when new releases are fairly light. Bad timing! But we'll keep on truckin' unless everyone gets sick of it.

shivam
08-31-2007, 01:12 AM
i'm liking it. there are a lot of games i'm not going to play or get the chance to play, so its fun to live vicariously through my friends.

Schmidt
08-31-2007, 03:23 AM
I like the spoiler/non-spoiler idea.

Mr. Sensible
08-31-2007, 03:40 AM
I was a little disappointed that there was no alternate title this week. Other than that, no complaints. I enjoy having a legitimate(?) excuse to purchase new games each week. Yes, very much.

Savathun
08-31-2007, 04:14 AM
It tingles, so I guess it's working.

Merus
08-31-2007, 06:00 AM
I find I don't have enough time to riproar through things in a week, and so I just don't bother unless I've played the game already and committed it to memory as with Super Metroid. C'est la vie.

Also: while it's nice that you guys are covering new games, it locks it to only the Americans unless the game gets a worldwide release. I suggest an alternate game of Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland next time that happens.

Jakanden
08-31-2007, 06:21 AM
I enjoy it as it is, but I am cool with anything really. Some games I just don't read or post in since I don't have them (Metroid Prime 3). Some I read but don't really post (Super Metroid) and some I post in quite a bit (Persona 3 and Bioshock). It all depends on the game and my familiarity with it.

As far as spoilers, I am down with however it is done. I have just been assuming that when I read the "Part 2" and "Part 3" threads, there will be spoilers for them and if I am not to that part of the game, I don't read it.

ScrambledGregs
08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
I think it's a great idea that so many other message boards stop doing or never follow through with. I'm really glad we're doing it because it made me buy Etrian Odyssey, and I would never have given that game a chance otherwise.

My only suggestion would be to do games that are slightly older. I think we're limiting the discussion pool by doing brand new blockbusters both because there are people on here who don't have access to them yet and because not everyone keeps up on releases. I know I typically don't. I mean if we didn't have the Fun Club, we'd be discussing BioShock and Metroid Prime 3 anyway, wouldn't we??

Brickroad
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm having fun with it, though I've only been able to jump into two threads so far. I'll parrot the suggestion of using older games, though, because then I think the spoiler thing would be more of a non-issue. I think MGS3 was about the perfect age for Fun Club treatment even though I didn't feel like replaying it right then.

Zef
08-31-2007, 09:19 AM
The only problem I have (as in, I) is that work and other endeavors tend to pry me away from console games, although I can play a couple of hours of portables any given day. So even those games I love, have yet to finish, and want to play endlessly (FF12, GRAW2, Burnout, Rogue Galaxy) I can only play once every blue moon. :( Thus, it's very hard for me to catch up and join the Fun Clubs for console games, especially recent ones, unless I sacrifice something like, say, gym or friends.

On the other hand, when the FC discusses a game I know inside-and-out like Super Metroid or FFVI (OK, that's more shivam's thread than a Fun Club, but you get the idea) I find it easier to participate.

Excitemike
08-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Ask not what your Fun Club can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Fun Club.

So, what's next month's RPG? I bet it's Eternal Sonata, right? I can't wait until we're all playing Eternal Sonata together, it's going to be so awesome.

reibeatall
08-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I like the idea, but like Calorie Mate, I tend to stay out of the topics for fear of spoilers.

Mostly, I'm talking about Bioshock.

I think if we did older games, there wouldn't be that general fear from people. I mean, it's not like you can really spoil "Aries dies."

djSyndrome
08-31-2007, 09:31 AM
If Persona 3 does start tomorrow, I'm looking forward to story discussion and spoilers. Most of the current P3 thread has been regarding mechanics.

I mean, it's not like you can really spoil "Aries dies."

THANKS A LOT ASSHOLE. I HAD NO IDEA.

MCBanjoMike
08-31-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't know about you guys, but it's quite rare that I'll finish a 12 hour game in one week, and that's not even a particularly long game. That's why I'm a big fan of the Alternate games, which let you play for just a few hours and discuss - I was very sad that there wasn't one this week. I agree that, when it comes to a game like BioShock, I'm afraid to read the threads because I don't want to see any spoilers. I also think that choosing games that aren't quite as new makes it easier for more people to participate and is also friendlier to budgets everywhere (cheap games=yes!). But I wouldn't want to deny the real enthusiasts the chance to play a brand new game and discuss it.

What about having two main games on the go at all times, keeping them longer and staggering the weeks? You could start a hot new game one week, keep it for two weeks, but start a slightly older game at the beginning of week two and run that one past the end of the first one. When the first new game finishes, pick another one and the cycle continues...

Red Hedgehog
08-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Here's another vote for not doing games that have just been released - at least for fun club. I think discussion of these games will happen anyway and by picking a game that's at least a few months old, it gives more of a chance for everyone to be able to get it and play it.

sraymonds
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
I think if we did older games, there wouldn't be that general fear from people. I mean, it's not like you can really spoil "Aries dies."

Who's Aries?

ringworm
08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Well I think the problem you will see if you start not doing the big releases during the Big Release Season is that participation will severely drop off, since many people were going to be playing those games no matter what, and don't have time for something else.

Adrenaline
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I like it, even when I'm not participating. Really, there are two sides to the club, right now when new releases are coming, and after the holidays when that cools down and some older stuff can be played. They both have ups and downs.

TheSL
08-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Who's Aries?
aka the God of War

Zef
08-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Who's Aries?
Since we're talking about videogames, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he means Aries Mu from the PS2 Saint Seiya game (that's him on the right):

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/meristation_saintseiya56pe.jpg

Tomm Guycot
08-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I say yes and no.

For retro games I think it's great - I don't think anyone would be pissed if you spoiled Super Metroid since it's so old and most of us have played it. At the same time, those of us who've played it wouldn't want to spoil it (and didn't!) for the noobs. But if something slipped out I don't see why anyone would have a right to get upset.

However, CalorieMate had a theory on "new games" and as he said it played out - you only check the threads that you've already played, and by then none of the conversation is interesting because you want to discuss the "new" stuff.

I think new games need to be relegated to the "Video Game Section" just like they normally are. I think Fun Club should be retro only.

TheSL
08-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I think Fun Club should be retro only.

Or at least 6 months-1 year old. I have a hard time keeping up with the few games I'm genuinely interested in, much less the ones I'm marginally interested in just for the discussion.

The-Bavis
08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
What about having two main games on the go at all times, keeping them longer and staggering the weeks? You could start a hot new game one week, keep it for two weeks, but start a slightly older game at the beginning of week two and run that one past the end of the first one. When the first new game finishes, pick another one and the cycle continues...

I personally like this idea. There is no way I'm going to finish a game like Metroid (which I assume is ~20 hours like the last two) in a week's time.

As far as new v. old(er), I like the alternate being retro and available for download. As long as there are ~3 options at any given time, I'm guessing I can normally find something to play along with. Also, I was going to play Metroid Prime 3 with or without the club, so it's nice to have a place to talk about it.

Parish
08-31-2007, 12:42 PM
What about having two main games on the go at all times, keeping them longer and staggering the weeks?
That's already how it's working. BioShock has been going for two weeks, which seems to be a success since conversation seems to have tapered off gradually in the second week. Metroid Prime 3 will be running all through next week.

Restricting Fun Club to older games only is a sure way to kill it. People are going to be playing new releases, especially this fall, and no one's going to want to focus on something old when Mario has a Galaxy to save. What I take from this thread is that the trick is to balance out the new and the old, which has always been the intent. It's not my fault that two excellent, GameSpite-friendly games were released back-to-back!

Next week will be a continuation of Metroid and... something simple as the alternate. I'm thinking Super Mario World. I need the excuse.

(And that's ultimately what Fun Club is about -- an excuse to justify playing great games. Participation optional.)

reibeatall
08-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I just wanted to throw this out there, I've got so many damn games that I own and games that I want to buy, Fun Club actually helps me out by giving me a game to play, so I'm not wasting money on other crap. It's good to have free will, but damn, sometimes I want to be told what to play.

alexb
08-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Well then, clearly our next game should be Shadow Madness, with Bokusuka Wars as the alt.

shivam
08-31-2007, 01:17 PM
also, i think the games, especially the alternates, need some meat on them. Punch Out can be beaten in a sitting or two, which makes for a very empty week.

How about something like New SMB? or Phoenix Wright 3 (whenever it comes out?)

djSyndrome
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
also, i think the games, especially the alternates, need some meat on them. Punch Out can be beaten in a sitting or two, which makes for a very empty week.

Why does gaming have to be a series of point-a-to-point-b achievements? Can't people replay games again for fun?

Excitemike
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I really like that the alternates are light. It gives me a chance in hell of participating. Sometimes I only have a few hours to play.

Parish
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
The point of the alternates is that they're light fare for people who don't have time to delve into a 15-40-hour game. Castlevania can be cleared in half an hour but generated a fantastic week-long conversation.

Request DENIED.

Jeanie
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
How about Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, then?

Ben1842
09-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Are the alternatives all going to be available on virtual console?

If so that kinda limits the choices (well for now anyway)

But to the main question of, is fun club working?

For me it is. I skipped metroid because I'm not really into the first person adventures.
But I felt all left out all week. so yeas it's working just as intended.
It makes me play old games (though I have less time since I've been playing portable games for my show).

I love it

Anonymooo
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
I think Fun Club should be retro only.I partially agree with this, as the only current-gen system I have is a Wii, and my PC is unable to handle any game that's come out in the past 3-4 years, so I'm really only able to keep up with older titles. However, new games like BioShock are really cool to see in Fun Club, and I'm able to get extra thoughts on them for when I inevitably purchase them.

I joined this forum when Fun Club was starting up, and I think it's a great idea that's working well so far. Until Parish expects us to spend a week discussing Geometry Wars, I think I'm set.

SamuelMarston
09-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I really like that the alternates are light. It gives me a chance in hell of participating. Sometimes I only have a few hours to play.

Word. I'm a busy man. Depending on the season, beating a game can be very difficult to impossible for me. Between work, my band and an affectionate girlfriend in Berkeley (without a television) I sometimes cannot find the time to play games. I love that sometimes the Alts have portable ports that allow me to take the fun club with me.

I think it is good to have a mix of old and new games. It keeps us moving and talking about what we're playing.