PDA

View Full Version : Need help running old games

Wolf
09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
So my girlfriend ran across her copy of an old DOS game called Castle Adventure, kind of a Rogue-lite type of game. I haven't been able to get it installed from the floppy disk (considering it's on a 5.25" floppy), but I've managed to find a downloadable version online. We've gotten it running in DOS-Box, but we're unable to load saved games. Or rather, you can load the game, but as soon as you try to leave the room the game loads from, you get a message saying "Unrecoverable error! Get new copy".

I know this is an old and semi-obscure game, but does anyone have an idea how to get around this?

nunix
09-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Can you share a link to the copy you're using? That's too specific an error to troubleshoot without knowing.

Also: search on the DOSbox forums to see if anyone else has had trouble with this game.

Wolf
09-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Here's (http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/CastleAdventure/CA-TheGame.html) the site I got it from. The download link is at the bottom of the page.

EDIT: After checking the posts on the DOS-Box website, it seems like the game is listed as "supported," which I take to mean completely, and no one seems to mention this issue.

Wolf
01-15-2011, 09:43 PM
"RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!"

So, about a year ago, I got a new laptop in place of my old one, which felt like it was on its last legs and was going to die any minute. More recently, it occurred to me that the components in the old laptop still run fine, I have a copy of Windows 98se lying around, and I have a lot of old DOS and Win95 games...

The upshot of all this is that I've formatted the old laptop, installed Windows 98, and am having a bit of trouble getting it to run properly. This isn't totally surprising, as I had trouble upgrading it from its original OS (Windows ME) to 2000 several years ago.

Basically, the trouble is the display. While in Windows mode, it will only display 16 colors at 640 x 480. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I have a feeling this doesn't carry over to DOS. However, I'd like to get some of my older windows games running, and this is obviously kind of a problem.

I hate to come running here with tech support issues, but I don't really know where to go for these things. My google-fu is pitiful, God knows, and I'm having trouble pinning down the nature of the problem. I'm not sure how to search for things like this, and I'm not sure what to search for in the first place. If anyone here can give me any suggestions, or point me to someplace I can better address these problems, I'd be deeply appreciative.

For anyone who's interested, the computer is a Compaq Presario laptop, series CM2080. Most of the sites I find that have drivers want to charge for them, and I'm not sure whether the problem is with the monitor itself or the display adapter.