PDA

View Full Version : Forget Dissidias 2 through 11. Dissidia 012, coming your way!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vaeran
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2972/1283916024195.jpg

Kain is my main.

SilentSnake
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Dissidia is strange and yet wonderful, so I approve.

Andrew
09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
For a split second I imagined you meant Kain the vampire, from Legacy of. Because, you know, Eidos. Now I'm sad. :(

Still a less stupid name than Kingdom Hearts DS'.

Bongo Bill
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
I will buy this game iff Gilgamesh is in it.

mopinks
it's gotta have Mog. NO MOG NO LIFE

Kishi
Seeing Cain in there just reminded me how silly it was that he wasn't in the first one.

Belmont
09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
oh boy. i can't wait to play as the space pope from ffxiii.

really though, this is great news. i played a few hours of the original but never bought it. this one, though? i'll be all over it.

Andrew
09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
oh boy. i can't wait to play as thuuuuh space pope! from ffxiii.

Wheels
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't care what the name is, me wants

Donny
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
And its coming out in 2011? Well okay SquEnix.

Dawnswalker
09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Seeing Cain in there just reminded me how silly it was that he wasn't in the first one.

Well, Dissidia 001 was heroes/villains, so I guess this one will be secondaries/FF13 + 14?

Kishi
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
As several people noted at the time, there was a redundancy issue with multiple faceless armored guys in the villain roles, and Cain is just enough of a villain to justify the label.

Wheels
09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
If I can throw down as Vivi I will love Square-Enix forever

Kishi
09-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Now that you've said that, I'm curious to see what Nomura's interpretation of Amano's interpretation of Vivi (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/ff9-vivi2.html) would look like. Fortunately, assuming every game is getting an additional character, that'll probably come to pass.

Rosencrantz
09-07-2010, 10:11 PM
This game needs more female characters. Faris, Freya, Tifa, Quistis -- those would be great.

Zef
09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Still a less stupid name than Kingdom Hearts DS'.

"Dissidia Duodecim[a]l" still sounds weird, though, and the duodecimal base is unwieldy to use. :p Does it mean Auron will come from "Final Fantasy A" and Balthier will belong in "Final Fantasy 10" while Lightning comes from FF 11? :D

I wonder how much differently the lance-wielding, air-battling Kain will play from Light and Dark Cecil. But yes, no Mog, no sale. No Gilgy, no sale. And who will represent the Cids --Pollendina, Highwind, Bunansa, Raines, or --Ajora willing-- Orlandeau?

Now that you've said that, I'm curious to see what Nomura's interpretation of Amano's interpretation of Vivi (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/ff9-vivi2.html) would look like. Fortunately, assuming every game is getting an additional character, that'll probably come to pass.

We already know, sadly. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:150px-Vivikh2.jpg)

Vaeran
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Fanboy wishlist time begins:

FF1: Red Mage
FF2: Minwu
FF4: Rubicante (though if Kain's the hero, they'll probably pair him against Barbariccia)
FF5: Gilgamesh
FF6: Edgar, General Leo
FF9: Vivi, Beatrix
FF10: Auron
FF12: Balthier

SUPER SECRET BONUS CHARACTER:
FFT: Orlandeau

Javex
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
IDEAL: Zell!

REALITY: ...Seifer...

SpoonyGundam
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
As several people noted at the time, there was a redundancy issue with multiple faceless armored guys in the villain roles, and Cain is just enough of a villain to justify the label.

Yeah, but they were only doing one hero and villain from each game (Unless the game was FFXI or FFXII.). I don't think I would argue that Kain would have been a better villain choice than Golbez, even if neither ended up as the villain by the end.

Anyway, my predictions:

FFI: Dunno. ASTOS? IKA?
FFII: Kain Leon
FFIII: Xande
FFV: Gilgamesh
FFVI: Locke or Celes
FFVII: Probably Tifa or Vincent or something. If there's any justice in the world, it would be all of the Turks on a tag-team.
FFVIII: Seifer
FFIX: Vivi
FFX: Yuna or Seymour. (Yuna would have her FFX-2 outfit in her EX-Mode.)
FFXI: ???
FFXII: Basch would make the most sense as Gabranth's counterpart. Then I guess Vayne or Vaan.
FFXIII: Space Pope and Cid.

Kishi
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Man, Vincent's probably likely, huh? That's a shame.

We already know, sadly. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:150px-Vivikh2.jpg)

Actually, we shouldn't have to worry about that. Nomura faithfully bases his Dissidia designs on Amano's artwork—even for characters Nomura originally designed, as well as the FFIX characters, who were created by Hideo Minaba.

Belmont
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Where is the "Next Stop, Planet Nomura!" image macro when you need it.

Vaeran
09-07-2010, 10:28 PM
You know why they call him Nomura?

Cause when you see his character designs you'll scream "NO MORE, AAAAAHHH!"

Javex
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
FFXI: PRINCE MOTHERF'N TRION.

Zef
09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Fanboy wishlist time begins:

FF1: Red Mage Vs. Astos
FF2: Minwu Vs. Black Knight
FF4: Edge Vs. Kain
FF5: Gilgamesh Vs Ghido, Turtle Power!
FF6: Celes Vs. General Leo
FF7: YuffWHO AM I KIDDING we're getting Vince whether we like it or not :(
FF8: Laguna Vs. Seifer MY ROMANTIC DREAM
FF9: Freya Vs. Beatrix
FF10: Auron Vs. Yunalesca COME ON IT'S ALREADY THERE IN THE GAME
FF12: Balthier Vs. Cidolfus Demen Bunansa!
FF13: Lightning Vs. Uh.....

SUPER SECRET BONUS CHARACTER:
FFT: Orlandeau Vs. Maenad but she's too obscure so OK Orleandeau Vs. Sydney Losstarot

alexb
09-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Not a villain. Anti-hero. Also, this title is pretentious as hell. Platform? Oh. I see it there. PSP. Sigh. I was hoping for a console release. Still, for all my grousing, the first game had things to like about it and I still have a great fondness for the first ten FFs.

Kishi
09-07-2010, 10:44 PM
The scan says PSP.

Not a villain. Anti-hero.

When he's extorting Cecil for crystals in exchange for Rosa's life, he's definitely in villain territory.

alexb
09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
When he's extorting Cecil for crystals in exchange for Rosa's life, he's definitely in villain territory.

Mind control preying on his fragile emotional state. Victim, not villain.

I hope they don't try to make up another story for why everyone's fighting again. That was really forced and it's going to be even more so now that we're dealing with the second stringers of their respective games. I'd like them to get unexpected and make the FF7 choices something unexpected like Reno or Rude. But we're probably going to get Rufus or Jenova or something.

Dawnswalker
09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Not to mention that he was actually mostly sorry for doing it. Let alone doing it more than once.

Kishi
09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
That all applies just as much to the man in black, though.

alexb
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
That all applies just as much to the man in black, though.

Yeah, also ultimately an anti-hero. Space Tick was the bad guy in FF4. You know it because he literally ran on hate. Unless the After Years retconned it so that he was a puppet on an even more random, unannounced villain's strings...?

Kishi
09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
So, Cain was no less viable for the "villain" slot in Dissidia 1 than the one who actually got it.

alexb
09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Kain's going to be the good guy. They're going to put him against Zeromus or something. If they really wanted to wow me though, they'd made the good guy Porom and Palom. Both of 'em. At the same time.

Dawnswalker
09-07-2010, 10:56 PM
It could be worse. They could be having Kain headline the long-awaited inclusion of The After Years as official Final Fantasy canon.

Yeah, I'll show myself out.

MetManMas
09-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I haven't played the original due to PSP lack, but this one's already got my interest with Kain-have. Here's my own wishlist, which I'm aware has no chance of coming true.

FF1: Red mage, definitely, but really anyone that actually appears in FFI and is not just some interpretation of Amano art that only appeared in a CGI movie disconnected from the game will do.

FF2: Uhhhh....Borghen. Just because he's a fat dick in a captain's hat and completely counter to the pretty kids and and armormen. And he starts that awful chain of fourth slot members dying. Bonus points if he has his zombie recolor as an alternate look.

FF3: That Zande guy, I guess?

FF4: Okay, I already got my wish with Kain, but Rydia would be interesting. Especially if her summons acted like alternate player characters.

FF5: Gilgamesh is the obvious suggestion, but I'd like Galuf, too. Bonus points if Galuf gets replaced by Krile when you get killed.

FF6: The Figaro Bros., definitely. Edgar on tools and Sabin on more fighting gamey moves. Ultros would also be welcome for comic relief and his inhuman body type.

FF7: Cait Sith, hopefully actually having his giant moogle again. Screw the bishie fans, stuffed cats are where it's at.

FF8: Laguna, because I wanted to play his game way more than Squall's.

FF9: Vivi for black magery, but I'd love Steiner as well. Especially if there's a return to his Disc 1 hatred/annoyance at Zidane.

FF10: Wakka. Because fighting with a blitzball is awesome. Especially with Mr. DiMaggio's voice.

FF11: Don't care.

FF12: "I'm Captain Basch!" I know we'd probably get the kid who says it (Vaan himself), but I'd like Basch in-game. Balthier would be good, too.

FF13: I haven't played this, but I want Sazh in there some how. Just because.

onimaruxlr
09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
People who think there's gonna be two new characters for each game have far greater hopes than I'd dare to have. I'm betting my money on one each. That being said:

FF1: Where there any named characters left in this?
FF2: Meh
FF3: MEHHHH
FF4: Kain, already
FF5: I guess that pirate lady?
FF6: Probably either Celes or Locke, maybe Shadow
FF7: Lots of possible choices, but I'd bet either Rufus, Tifa, or Vincent
FF8: Seifer
FF9: Since it's unlikely that there'll be two Garlands, either Vivi or that Knight guy. Secret best option: Beatrix
FF10: If it's not Auron then fuck whoever else they choose
FF11: What
FF12: Is there gonna be a proper selection for this now? Like, hero/other guy/villain? So it'd probably be the Judge, and like...two other people. I didn't play FF12.
FF13: Lightning and...aren't all of 13's bad guys giant robot things? Hopefully they put Sazh in there. Hopefully they DON'T put Vanille in there.

Kishi
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM
FFI: Dr. Unne

SilentSnake
09-08-2010, 12:13 AM
FFI: A Mermaid

Also:

FFI: Ika and Ruga

mopinks
09-08-2010, 12:16 AM
FFI: Talking Broom

Vaeran
09-08-2010, 12:17 AM
FF1: Invisible Lady in Coneria Castle

(banned from tournament play)

Regulus
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
I wanna see some FFT, personally. But I suppose that would be unfair to all the other spinoffs.

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 01:29 AM
So this is how we're playing now, eh?

FF1: The bats in Garland's room
FF2: Those soldiers that attack you when you talk to them
FF3: The instakill statues in Zande's front lawn
FF4: Chocobo Sakaguchi
FF5: Ghido
FF6: Birthday suit merchant
FF7: Aeris, except she's already dead
FF8: Zone with stomach problems
FF9: The select button moogle
FF10: Lulu's moogle doll weapon
FF11: Still don't care
FF12: That save point monster
FF13: Sazh again, except his afro chocobo chick does the fighting

Octopus Prime
09-08-2010, 01:31 AM
I just want Gilgamesh.

Everyone else is gravy.

Torgo
09-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Kain is already there. They may do as they please.

Walliard
09-08-2010, 02:11 AM
If Gilgamesh is in, he has to be paired against Galuf. Also, Laguna.

Of course, I don't have a PSP so this is largely irrelevant to my interests anyway.

TheSL
09-08-2010, 07:05 AM
FFXI: PRINCE MOTHERF'N TRION.

Nah, if they're adding anyone it would be the Shadow Lord since they've already got Shantoto on the "good" side.

Brickroad
09-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Everytime Kishi spells Kain with a C it makes me want to punch him in the teeth. It's like... does he even value his teeth? Probably not.

Anyway the first Dissidia was bad ass, and this one has Lightning in it, which makes it even bad assier, so I'm there.

ZRofel
09-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I hope they add in some kind of trophy gallery like there is in Smash Bros. and Jump Ultimate Stars. Something where you could unlock little historical tidbits about all the various Final Fantasies accompanied by art, sprites, or models would be totally sweet.

As far as characters, the only ones that would get me really excited would be ones from the spin-offs like Mystic Quest, Tactics, or the Chocobo games.

alexb
09-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Everytime Kishi spells Kain with a C it makes me want to punch him in the teeth. It's like... does he even value his teeth? Probably not.

Anyway the first Dissidia was bad ass, and this one has Lightning in it, which makes it even bad assier, so I'm there.

I don't know. I get where he's coming from. It should be Cain. Rydia's also a pretty retarded transliteration that we hang onto just because.

Brickroad
09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
I don't know. I get where he's coming from.

I don't know where he's coming from, but I know where he's going to.

The dentist.

KA-POW.

eta: Man I got so caught up in punching Kishi that I didn't even post the obligatory "what characters I done want" list:

FF1: Red Mage.

FF2: nobody cares, this game sucks

FF3: Xande (way better villain than Cloud of Darkness).

FF4: I guess we're getting Kain, but I'd really like to see Palom and Porom. They fight together, see, like the Ice Climbers in Smash.

FF5: Faris, mos' def. You know how Terra's model in Dissidia was based on Amano's artwork, but then she has an alternate costume that mimics the colors of her FF6 sprite? They could do the same thing with Faris and that would be just fine.

FF6: Edgar. No contest. Chainsaw + Autocrossbow alone makes his moveset awesome.

FF7: Tifa or Vincent. (I don't really like Vincent, but I think a gunfighter would be pretty neat.)

FF8: Quistis.

FF9: Freya. (If we can have fifty armored-dudes-with-swords, certainly we can have two dragoons.)

FF10: Yuna from 10-2. Heck, now we don't need Vincent.

FF11: uuuhhh

FF12: Balthier and Balthier. No, seriously, two Balthiers.

Elsewhere: Ramza and Chocobo. And Crono. If Sonic can be in a game about Nintendo characters beating each other up, Crono can be in a game about FF characters doing the same.

Pigu
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I played the hell out of the first one so I cant wait for this. I also cant think about it cause of how far away any english localization would be. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Also Red Mage gets another vote, Faris from FF5 and Locke or a Figaro from FF6 would be nice.

Wheels
09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
My wants:

FF1: Black Mage all the way
FF2: Screw in game characters, put Kawazu in the game
FF3: I dunno, Ninja?
FF4: Kain is fine by me
FF5: Lenna
FF6: ALL OF THEM....ok seriously Setzer would be awesome
FF7: Yuffie!
FF8: Laguna
FF9: Vivi Obviously
FF10: Wakka
FF11: Who cares
FF12: Ashe
FF13: Vanille. There I said it.

Octopus Prime
09-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't know. I get where he's coming from. It should be Cain. Rydia's also a pretty retarded transliteration that we hang onto just because.

Well change it, and then where does it end?

Get a 'Barrier' in Metroid?

ActionDan
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I just hope the music in this game is better than in the first.

Edit: And better stages. Why were the stages in the first game so seemingly generic and unforgettable? Seriously.

O..O~
09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Ff13: a character who stays consistent with their motivations through out the whole game....oh wait... I am betting cid will be the villain since he is the biggest anime cliche in that game.

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
As far as characters, the only ones that would get me really excited would be ones from the spin-offs like Mystic Quest, Tactics, or the Chocobo games.

Aw man, now that you mention that I want Tristam, Agrias, and the Cid from that Wii Chocobo game too. Thanks a lot. =(

Zef
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I just hope the music in this game is better than in the first.

♪ The pilgrims are gathering the marching band,
The marching band’s howling. ♫

Edit: And better stages. Why were the stages in the first game so seemingly generic and unforgettable? Seriously.

For what it's worth, the basic one was good for learning each character's moves, but it got tedious as an actual combat stage. And I liked the Chaos Shrine, the World of Darkness (highly reminiscent of Saint Seiya,) the Magitek Factory, Ultimecia's Clock Tower, the Crystal World had nice environmental-destruction opportunities, and Zanarkand was AWESOME. But the Lunar Surface, Pandaemonium and the Planet's Core were either lackluster or the camera would get stuck behind a wall/floating rock and you'd never see anything until it hit you.

Next time, I want them to have the Sunken Shrine filled with water effects, a very organic Jade Passage, the deck of the Invincible, Bab-Il Tower or the Giant of Bab-Il, the crystal/tree section of the Rift, Narshe, the Temple of Ancients, Dollet's Comm Tower, Alexandria, a Blitz stadium, and... man, there's too many incredible FFXII locations they could use. The top deck of Bahamut, maybe? Or Giruvegan? The Great Crystal?

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I still don't have a PSP, but.... wishlist:

1: Kraken Red Mage
2: Firion's bandana thing as a separate character.
3: Erm... a chocobo?
5: Krile. Her eyes must always look toward the camera.
6: Mog
7: Aeris, lol
8: Seifer
9: Vivi, though I expect he'd play like Shantotto, as both are purely black mages.
10: don't care
11: Prishe, and Shantotto properly relocated to Chaos' team.
12: Balthier and Dr. Cid (It'll probably just be Basch though.)
13: Don't care.

onimaruxlr
09-08-2010, 10:26 AM

These spellings don't make much of a difference unless you want to ascribe higher literary allusionary aspirations onto Final Fantasy, which makes you a dunderhead

alexb
09-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Literary aspirations nothing. Cain and Lydia are actual names. They're clearly what was intended.

But if you want to get into literary allusions, just because kids liked the name Ultros because they like the word Ultra doesn't mean it wasn't just mistranslation of Orthrus. I mean, they even corrected Chupon to Typhon in the GBA release, so what the hell was their methodology? The two were a set. It would be like someone translating Laurel and Hardy as Roller and Hoddy and then coming back later and rendering it Roller and Hardy. Again, what's the sense in it?

Sprite
09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
There's no morphological difference between "Cain" and "Kain" and you guys are being completely ridiculous.

alexb
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
There's no morphological difference between "Cain" and "Kain" and you guys are being completely ridiculous.

I agree there's no difference in the way it sounds. For my money, I think likely they spelled it with a K deliberately because they wanted to do an end run around any religious objections. Rydia was just a mistake, though. But I don't think anybody's being ridiculous. This isn't particularly heated.

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
FF2: Screw in game characters, put Kawazu in the game

OK, I change my wish to this.

I agree there's no difference in the way it sounds. For my money, I think likely they spelled it with a K deliberately because they wanted to do an end run around any religious objections. Rydia was just a mistake, though. But I don't think anybody's being ridiculous. This isn't particularly heated.

I think I should come clean.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be Lydia until it was pointed out to me. I was even pronouncing it Ri-DEE-ah.

:(

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
But if you want to get into literary allusions, just because kids liked the name Ultros because they like the word Ultra doesn't mean it wasn't just mistranslation of Orthrus. I mean, they even corrected Chupon to Typhon in the GBA release, so what the hell was their methodology? The two were a set. It would be like someone translating Laurel and Hardy as Roller and Hoddy and then coming back later and rendering it Roller and Hardy. Again, what's the sense in it?

I expect they wanted to make some concessions to certain way too obsessed Ye Olde Woolsey Translation fans* since they changed almost everything else, but keeping Orthrus as Ultros is extra stupid because they already corrected it in his Dawn of Souls boss entry and Final Fantasy XII's mark! Nice way to go for new translation inconsistency, Square-Enix. =/

*Really, the GameFAQs forum for FFVI Advance had plenty of people using old terms** to refer to things. Many a pointless fight was started over whether Tempest was one of Cyan's knives/katanas or SwdTech/Bushido moves. Also opera lyrics. -_-;

**Actually, I like the Woolsey translation for what it was, but I haven't memorized every single little term to heart.

Octopus Prime
09-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I recommend doing what I always do when there's arguement over spelling and pronounciation: Go for something I KNOW is wrong.

The spear-wielding guy in FFIV is named Coin, and he is a Drygoon

....and the protagonist of FFX is Tootus

Zef
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I expect they wanted to make some concessions to certain way too obsessed Ye Olde Woolsey Translation fans* since they changed almost everything else, but keeping Orthrus as Ultros is extra stupid because they already corrected it in his Dawn of Souls boss entry and Final Fantasy XII's mark! Nice way to go for new translation inconsistency, Square-Enix. =/

"Orthros" is a two-headed DOG.

"Ultros" sounds like one of the words for seafood in Spanish.

Ergo, Ultros is funnier :)

....and the protagonist of FFX is Nissan Tiida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Tiida)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Nissan_Versa_1.8S_sedan.jpg/800px-Nissan_Versa_1.8S_sedan.jpg

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/1-behemoth_vs_light-a.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/1-kraken_vs_light-a.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/1-ochu_vs_light-a.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/1-demon_clouds-a.jpg

I think that's fighter, white mage, red mage, and thief, which is the party I used the first time I played the game.

Are they adding both new heroes and villains for every game?

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I think that's fighter, white mage, red mage, and thief, which is the party I used the first time I played the game.

Awesome Amano art there, but aside from that CG sequence before but disconnected from Final Fantasy I's PS1 and PSP (and probably iPhone too) remakes, none of those people have ever actually physically appeared in any of the Final Fantasy remakes. The guy in red armor with unkempt red or blonde-ish hair represents a Final Fantasy warrior to me more than the horny helmet CG man.

That said, I'd love a remake that actually uses those people in the Amano art. It's more possible today than it was on the 16-color beepy boopy gray box we love so much. Just.....don't expect us to see them as what represents Final Fantasy I in your fighting RPG when they haven't even appeared in that form in it. -.-;

TheSL
09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Awesome Amano art there, but aside from that CG sequence before but disconnected from Final Fantasy I's PS1 and PSP (and probably iPhone too) remakes, none of those people have ever actually physically appeared in any of the Final Fantasy remakes. The guy in red armor with unkempt red or blonde-ish hair represents a Final Fantasy warrior to me more than the horny helmet CG man.

You do realize that FF1 Fighter, OG Firion and FF3 Warrior look nearly identical right? This is why that would not work.

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
You do realize that FF1 Fighter, OG Firion and FF3 Warrior look nearly identical right? This is why that would not work.

I'm aware, but I wouldn't ask for original Firion. He was differentiated from a more different fighter in FFII's remakes. Does FFIII's Onion Knight representative turn into a warrior in Dissidia, though? I'm unfamiliar with all the movesets.

Anyway, it's not that I don't like the Warrior of Light, it's just that he's from (admittedly awesome) Amano art that's disconnected from FFI and its remakes save for that one CG sequence. It'd be easier to accept him as the FFI representative if he was integrated into the warrior's class upgrade to knight or something, like how the black wizard was altered to keep the obscured face of his black mage form.

TheSL
09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Does FFIII's Onion Knight representative turn into a warrior in Dissidia, though? I'm unfamiliar with all the movesets.

Nah, he just turns into a Ninja and a Sage (since that's all anyone ever uses in the endgame anyways).

Destil
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
My rough wish list: Freya (if there's any justice in the world and a SE character ever ends up in Smash Brothers it would be her, too), Balthier, TG Cid, Wiregraf, Zeid, Fang, FFX-2 Yuna, Vivi, Beatrix, Quistis, Lugana (Kiros or Ward would also be acceptable), Edgar, Mog, Celes, Strago, Faris, Rydia, Palom & Parom, Desh, Maria, Red Mage.

My suspect list: Cid Raines[FFXIII spoiler] & Lightning, Fran, High Summoner Yuna & Seymore, Seifer, Vincent & Reno (or maybe Angelo?), Shadow or Setzer & Geshtal, Karle, Kain.

TirMcDohl
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I like how Onion Knight's alt-costume is Luneth from the DS remake.

Nobuyuki
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I would love Squenix forever if they called it Dissidia II when it came here.

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
They should use Amano's red mage just to have a dark skinned guy in there. Or the white mage to prove that he's a dude and not a lady.

Kishi
09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
She's not, though.

Dawnswalker
09-08-2010, 01:56 PM
What Would Be Cool:

FF1: Red Mage
FF2: ?
FF3: ?
FF4: Kain
FF5: Faris
FF6: Celes
FF7: Barrett
FF8: Laguna
FF9: Freya
FF10: Auron
FF11: ?
FF12: Basch
FF13: ?

What Will Actually Happen:

FF1: Black Mage
FF2: ?
FF3: ?
FF4: Kain
FF5: Galuf
FF6: Locke
FF7: Aeristh
FF8: Seifer
FF9: Vivi
FF10: Wakka
FF11: ?
FF12: Vaan
FF13: Lightning

Kishi
09-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I doubt they'd do Black Mage and Vivi.

Octopus Prime
09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I doubt they'd do Black Mage and Vivi.

I don't...

SpoonyGundam
09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey, Laguna actually would be pretty cool now that you mention it.

They'd have to add in 2v2 so he can throw his teammate off of a cliff, though.

Rosencrantz
09-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Why is almost everyone assuming that there will only be one character per game this time around? Did I miss an announcement or something that said that they weren't doing the hero/villain thing again?

That said:
FF1: Red Mage and who cares
FF2: who cares
FF3: who cares
FF4: Kain and Barbariccia
FF5: Faris and Gilgamesh
FF6: Edgar and Leo
FF7: Tifa and... well, I love that "tag-team Turks" idea
FF8: Laguna and Seifer
FF9: Freya and Lani
FF10: Auron and Yunalesca
FF11: who cares
FF12: Balthier and Dr. Cid
FF13: Lightning and who cares

SpoonyGundam
09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm assuming all the previous characters will return, and there'll only be enough room on a puny little UMD for three characters per game. Or they're going to want to save some for sequels.

39 dudes is going to be a lot as it is.

onimaruxlr
09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
The cool thing about having rival-y type characters is that they can fight both the heroes AND the villains that were previously introduced, which is why they're likely to take that approach except in games where no such character exists, or for instances where the rival character is small-time and not a fraction as popular as the other characters (General Leo)

SpoonyBardOL
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I haven't yet played the first one, but I've heard it's sorely lacking in a story mode for the villainous doods.

So if this game gives me a story mode where I can choose Kefka then I might just have to buy a PSP for it.

Alastor
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Also, this title is pretentious as hell.

Yeah, but this is the company that got away with names like "Birth by Sleep" and "358/2 Days."

Desonovich
09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
... I'm not even going to ask how this is pronounced, because, well, I was apparently wrong about how to pronoucne five-hundred-and-something-divided-by-two wrong.

It'd be nice to have Quistis.

AND HER WHIP AMIRITE

Alastor
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
How about the optional uber-bosses and annoyingly persistent minor villains from each game?

Ozma and Zorn/Thorn! Yiazmat and Ba'Gamnan!

Kishi
09-08-2010, 05:04 PM
... I'm not even going to ask how this is pronounced, because, well, I was apparently wrong about how to pronoucne five-hundred-and-something-divided-by-two wrong.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2972/1283916024195.jpg

The katakana reads, "Dissidia Duodecim (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/duodecim) Final Fantasy."

Zef
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
You joke, but Ba'Gamnan's chainsaw staff style could open up a host of gameplay possibilities that other, sword-wielding characters wouldn't have. He'd actually be pretty interesting, and he IS Balthier's [sad wannabe] nemesis.

EDIT: D'oh! I misread the closing bracket around "Duodecim" as a lowercase "l" ("duodeciml.")

Desonovich
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
The katakana reads, "Dissidia Duodecim (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/duodecim) Final Fantasy."

D'oh! Did not study that picture long enough.

And here I was thinking it would be... Dissidia Zero One Two...

Brickroad
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Everyone who put "dude with a sword" on their list ought to be ashamed. Seifer? Really? What could he do that Squall can't?

Gilgamesh I'll grant you, because he uses like six swords, and because he could be a conglomeration of all his appearances to date. (Yes, he really was Exdeath's lackey, and the guy in Lhusu Mines, and the card-player in Daguerro, and the guy who showed up after Seifer killed Odin, and S/Zeigfried too because hey why the hell not.)

Donny
09-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Everyone who put "dude with a sword" on their list ought to be ashamed. Seifer? Really? What could he do that Squall can't?

Don't you mean "What could he do that Squall can't on his own?"

And the answer is: Bring da sexual tension.

Zef
09-08-2010, 06:06 PM

He can do Fire Cross! http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-grin.gif

But FINE, whatEVER. No dude[tte]s with swords!

FF1: Black Belt Vs. Astos
FF2: Minwu (staff) Vs. Blah
FF3: Geomancer Refia Vs. Xande
FF4: Kain Vs. Barbie
FF5: Bard Galuf Vs. Gilgy
FF6: Gau Vs. Ziggy
FF7: Tifa Vs. Elena
FF8: Irvine Vs. Childhood Angst
FF9: Eiko Vs. Black Waltz 3
FF10: Yuna Croft Vs. Shuyin
FF12: Balthier Vs. Ba'Gamnan

SpoonyGundam
09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I didn't put down who I was hoping for. Just who I thought was likely to show up.

Brickroad
09-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Black Waltz 3

Holy shit. Good answer.

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM

FF1: Red Mage.

Elsewhere: Ramza and Chocobo. And Crono.

I see.

My top choice for 8 is actually Selphie, but she just seems so unlikely that I don't dare hope. And I will be picked on for liking her.

If not Red Mage, due to his sword-having-ness, I guess White Mage would be my next pick. Obviously no Masamune. Not sure how his Blink would work, but he'd have to have it, wouldn't he? I'd rather have Bikke than Astos, and only having just one fiend out of four is right out no matter how much I'd like to play as something with tentacles.

Gilgamesh now exists perpendicular to any particular game's continuity, dunno if I'd call him a FFV character at this point. He should be in it regardless, of course. I figure they could do something dumb with Krile, so I'd rather have her than Faris. But then if you had Faris and Bikke and Balthier...

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty certain Seifer was the "dude with a sword" Brick's referring to. No need to freak out, you guys.

That said, I know I suggested her in my joke suggestions, but I'd totally go for Dead Aeris as a playable joke character done Weekend at Bernie's style. Sadly, I'm sure Dissidia would probably try to play her story completely serious instead of taking a stab at the "Aeris dies" crowd.

Kishi
09-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Taking a stab at fans who like a major character would be a pretty weird move, yeah.

onimaruxlr
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
There's no real chance that they'll straight up replace Cloud with Zack is there?

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm pretty certain Seifer was the "dude with a sword" Brick's referring to. No need to freak out, you guys.

I don't see any freakout. :P

But to me it looked like he meant any guy with a sword, because of the next bit about Gilgamesh having lots of swords.

MetManMas
09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
There's no real chance that they'll straight up replace Cloud with Zack is there?

Zach as an alternate skin for Cloud? It happened in Ehrgeiz, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen here.

Zach as his own character? Possible, but we'd probably get screwed and he'd be a hard-to-unlock bonus character with no story roles.

Zach replacing Cloud, though? About as much chance of that as Aerith's shish-kabobbed corpse becoming a new fighter. =(

ActionDan
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
All I know is that if they use Yuna I totally want them to use FFX-2 Yuna, dual wielding pistols and all. (Heck FFX-2 Yuna even comes with an EX form.)

Coinspinner
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Layle. I want Layle in it.

alexb
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Sales failures don't get spin off cameos.

onimaruxlr
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
...Crisis Core almost/possibly broke a million units worldwide.

Kishi
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I believe he was talking about Layle, the kid from The Crystal Bearers.

Javex
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
But now that he's mentioned it, I want Zack. Get rid of Cloud.

(Please not Genesis though.)

Regulus
09-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I want Cloud, but not the mopey Advent Children one. I want the one that said things like "Let's mosey" just before confronting the final boss.

Zef
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I want Cloud, but not the mopey Advent Children one. I want the one that said things like "Let's mosey" just before confronting the final boss.

Well-adjusted, self-realized Cloud who has come back from the brink and is no longer mopey doesn't sell to the fanboys/girls as well as angsty, morose Cloud.

Positronic Brain
09-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Well-adjusted, self-realized Cloud who has come back from the brink and is no longer mopey doesn't sell to the fanboys/girls as well as angsty, morose Cloud.

This. Self-realized Cloud has no chance at all of ever appearing again in a Nomura controlled Squareverse.

ActionDan
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
While Cloud forever being a sad sack is a foregone conclusion at this point, at the very least they should let Zidane be in character and hit on all the girls.

Brickroad
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
While Cloud forever being a sad sack is a foregone conclusion at this point, at the very least they should let Zidane be in character and hit on all the girls.

...and then Lightning socks him in the nose.

That scene would be amazing.

Javex
09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
And Crono. If Sonic can be in a game about Nintendo characters beating each other up, Crono can be in a game about FF characters doing the same.

This made me realize that I want this to be Square's Smash Brothers.

So I want Id and Musashi.

Donny
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Hell yes. Unfortunately we'd probably the get Sora looking mother fucker (http://creativeuncut.com/gallery-13/msl-musashi.html) from Musashi: Samurai Legend.

McDohl
09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
The only representation FFXI needs is Riko Kupenreich (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Riko_Kupenreich).

Trion would be pretty awesome though. I'd dig Trion.

And, really, anyone from FF8 that's not Zell is really not worth representing.

Pombar
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I reckon they could go with anti-heroes, ambiguous people, etc? Kain would be joined by Leon, Shadow, Rufus and/or Reno, Seifer, Beatrix... too bad they did Jecht and Gabranth already, I guess!
Call me pessimistic though, but I can't see them adding more than 1 new character per 1-10 game.

Torgo
09-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I've been advocating this general kind of idea for years. I would've liked something a little less complicated then Dissidia and more like... well, Smash, but it's nice that they finally started to capitalize on a solid idea.

cortbassist89
09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Hell yes. Unfortunately we'd probably the get Sora looking mother fucker (http://creativeuncut.com/gallery-13/msl-musashi.html) from Musashi: Samurai Legend.

wtf is up with that hair?

MetManMas
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM

Who says it should just be Square guys? The company's Square-Enix now. Screw DQxFF being restricted to Japan-only Itadaki Street board games; I'd pick Erdrick, Yangus, Alena, Rocket Slime, and Torneko Taloon over about half the Final Fantasy heroes and villains.

But then again, I dread what Nomura would do to them, and I'm guessing Horii and Toriyama might, too. That's probably why we don't have Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest. -_-;

dtsund
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
He can do Fire Cross! http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-grin.gif

But FINE, whatEVER. No dude[tte]s with swords!

FF1: Black Belt Vs. Astos
FF2: Minwu (staff) Vs. Blah
FF3: Geomancer Refia Vs. Xande
FF4: Kain Vs. Barbie
FF5: Bard Galuf Vs. Gilgy
FF6: Gau Vs. Ziggy
FF7: Tifa Vs. Scarlet
FF8: Irvine Vs. Childhood Angst
FF9: Eiko Vs. Black Waltz 3
FF10: Yuna Croft Vs. Shuyin
FF12: Balthier Vs. Ba'Gamnan

:D

I'm kidding.

ActionDan
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM

wtf is up with that hair?

Nomura, that's what.

Wheels
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Sales failures don't get spin off cameos.

Take your Crystal Bearers hatred elsewhere sir!

http://www.gameandplayer.net/images/inset/inset1_10_0215_crystalbearers.jpg

alexb
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Take your Crystal Bearers hatred elsewhere sir!

http://www.gameandplayer.net/images/inset/inset1_10_0215_crystalbearers.jpg

Who said I hated it? I haven't played it. I was going to get it, then it got bad reviews so I held off. Now I'm waiting for it to hit $20. Layle as a character design is an order of magnitude less awful than the typical Nomura fare.

ZRofel
09-10-2010, 01:03 PM

This is kind of what I'd been hoping for when they announced the first one. I'd love to see them expand it to other Square-Enix properties like Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest, The World Ends With You, the Mana series, etc. Regrettably, I think that might be a bit ambitious.

Nobuyuki
09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Who said I hated it? I haven't played it. I was going to get it, then it got bad reviews so I held off. Now I'm waiting for it to hit $20. Layle as a character design is an order of magnitude less awful than the typical Nomura fare.

Really? The teased hair? The steampunk goggles? The crystal tear? I fail to see anything redeeming about him.

MetManMas
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
This is kind of what I'd been hoping for when they announced the first one. I'd love to see them expand it to other Square-Enix properties like Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest, The World Ends With You, the Mana series, etc. Regrettably, I think that might be a bit ambitious.

This. Definitely this. I hate still living in a world where we can't defeat Sephiroth by having a middle-aged blue haired merchant with an awesome 'stache trip and accidentally inflict a critical hit.

TirMcDohl
09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Two words:

JESUS. BEAM.

MetManMas
09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I hate still living in a world where we can't defeat Sephiroth by having a middle-aged blue haired merchant with an awesome 'stache trip and accidentally inflict a critical hit.

Even though this thing I want probably won't happen in real life, I can still dream. Or draw hastily-sketched fan art of my dream battle. =P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/ValocDarkmyre/TornekoVsSephiroth.jpg

God, I wish I had a scanner. =/

SpoonyGundam
09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Looks like it's not going to have a new character from every game. (http://www.1up.com/news/nomura-talks-dissidia-sequel)

I'm guessing that the NES games probably aren't getting new guys, at the very least.

FFV is pretty easy to cut too, if they don't use Gilgamesh.

Zef
09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Looks like it's not going to have a new character from every game. (http://www.1up.com/news/nomura-talks-dissidia-sequel)

Firion, in particular, is really getting reborn here. We got a lot of feedback about him from gamers that will get reflected in the game.

Trans: "His hook-and-reel and multihit weapon skills were so useful they verged on game-breaking, so we're nerfing him. A lot."

SilentSnake
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess Celes is one of the new characters.

Pajaro Pete
09-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Tifa's a playable character.

Positronic Brain
09-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Tifa's a playable character.

My favorite FFVII character is a playable character? Not the fan-favorite, Nomura beloved, irritating flower girl Aerith? I'll believe it when I see the screenshots.

Kishi
09-16-2010, 11:22 AM
If you don't think Tifa is a fan favorite, I...

Well, there's a lot of pornography I can show you.

Positronic Brain
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
If you don't think Tifa is a fan favorite, I...

Well, there's a lot of pornography I can show you.

Touche, sir. Touche.

onimaruxlr
09-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't really get "Nomura beloved" either. While she's certainly bandied around as an iconic image from that game, so is the Gladiator colossi and that didn't make him any more significant in the bigger scheme of things.

MetManMas
09-16-2010, 11:35 AM
My favorite FFVII character is a playable character? Not the fan-favorite, Nomura beloved, irritating flower girl Aerith?

I know the series takes itself seriously and all, but I still think Aerith would make an awesome playable character if she was dead in-game. Best case scenario? Cait Sith and his giant moogle mount manipulate her Weekend at Bernie's style.

Then again, the worst case scenario's some lame zombie or lifestream copout. =/

onimaruxlr
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I know the series takes itself seriously and all, but I still think Aerith would make an awesome playable character if she was dead in-game. Best case scenario? Cait Sith and his giant moogle mount manipulate her Weekend at Bernie's style.

Then again, the worst case scenario's some lame zombie or lifestream copout. =/

...You do realize that this game takes place "out of time" essentially, meaning that there's no reason she can't be alive, right?...

MetManMas
09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
...You do realize that this game takes place "out of time" essentially, meaning that there's no reason she can't be alive, right?...

Yes, I realize that. I also realize Dissidia takes its story too seriously for a multi-installment character mishmash game.

I'll definitely be making a lot of use out of The Joker Kefka when I get a PSP and the Dissidia games.

Parish
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
They probably didn't want to have to deal with the fanboy rage over Aeris vs. Aerith. That, and Tifa makes more sense in a fighting game than pretty much any other Final Fantasy character.

Personally, though, I won't be happy unless we get Selphie as a playable character whose ultimate attack is the train song.

SpoonyBardOL
09-16-2010, 03:53 PM
So was there any confirmation that Tifa is a new character, or is that just what people are assuming? I might have missed a news update somewhere.

Also,

Personally, though, I won't be happy unless we get Selphie as a playable character whose ultimate attack is the train song.

That is HORRIFYING.

Brickroad
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Celes? That's stupid.

Tifa, I'm fine with. Dissidia was in sore need of someone with ze fisticuffs.

spineshark
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
That, and Tifa makes more sense in a fighting game than pretty much any other Final Fantasy character.
Sabin?

djSyndrome
09-16-2010, 04:10 PM
or Yang
or Amarant
or Snow
or Zell

Coinspinner
09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
or Maat.

Edit: Now I want Maat in the game. Dissidia could use more geriatric omnivocational pugilists.

Kishi
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I think Spine's point was that Sabin specifically uses typical fighting game inputs for his special attacks.

Dawnswalker
09-16-2010, 06:38 PM

YES.

Lion Yamato
09-16-2010, 07:26 PM
You know, I bought Dissidia and spent a fair amount of time playing it, yet I'm still not even sure if I liked it. It ultimately gave the feeling of having a ton of superfluous bells and whistles that tried very hard to disguise the fact that, well, there wasn't a whole lot to the mechanics.

From the video of Duodecim that I've seen, plus Parish's preview (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3181428), I can't say that I see much to make me really look forward to it. But it's still early, I suppose.

Zef
09-17-2010, 09:18 AM
So was there any confirmation that Tifa is a new character, or is that just what people are assuming? I might have missed a news update somewhere.

TheSL
09-17-2010, 09:24 AM
or Maat.

Edit: Now I want Maat in the game. Dissidia could use more geriatric omnivocational pugilists.

I'm still surprised they went with Shantoto instead of Maat in the first game. I think I've maybe even seen her once in 6 years of playing FFXI not being from Windurst.

The lineup is likely to expand in the time between now and the game's presumed 2011 release, but for the moment the only newcomers appear to be FFIV's Kain Highwind, FFXIII's Lightning Farron (both of whom are playable in the demo), and FFVII's Tifa Lockheart.

djSyndrome
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Tifa confirmed (http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/17/tifa-lockheart-confirmed-for-dissidia-duodecim-final-fantasy/).

Positronic Brain
09-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Usually I am the first one to point out that you can't judge a game from a game by a single picture, but....

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/2/6/6/7/5/3/dissidia_012_final_fantasy1.jpg.jpg

*shaking fist at the sky* Nomuraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

(seriously, I really hope this is not a story driven scene but just a mere alternate costume....)

Brickroad
09-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Dissidia has a story?

Anyway I welcome KH Cloud. He's more visually interesting than FF7/AC Cloud, and the fact that they're shoving KH shit in the game increases the odds they'll maybe shove a little CT shit in, too.

BlitzBlast
09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Gilgamesh had better be in this game damn it.

Also, they keeping the originals?

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/2/6/6/7/5/3/dissidia_012_final_fantasy1.jpg.jpg

Oh.

SpoonyBardOL
09-20-2010, 07:40 AM
I also like KH1 Cloud. His outfit actually has a color.

Lookit that red cape! It's so vibrant and NOT BLACK LEATHER.

Could do without the sword bandages though, but w/e. Seriously it reminds me of effing Bleach.

MetManMas
09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Dissidia has a story?

Anyway I welcome KH Cloud. He's more visually interesting than FF7/AC Cloud, and the fact that they're shoving KH shit in the game increases the odds they'll maybe shove a little CT shit in, too.

To be honest, I think we'd be more likely to see Sora or Neku in Dissidia 012 than Crono. Being mostly mute aside from one ending and his asshole murder-accusing ghost kid counterpart* doesn't help his chances, either. I'd want Lucca way WAY more, anyway.

Hmmmmm.....What if Crono, Marle, and Lucca were a three-in-one alternating character package, like Brawl's Pokémon Trainer? That'd work in the Triple Techs, as well as the trio of 1000 A.D.ers.

*Really, that was the worst way possible to bring back the CT crew, along with those offscreen deaths and all. I think Chrono Cross would've been better without the CT Connection.

BlitzBlast
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Erm...

Those weren't actually Chrono, Marle, and Lucca. Okay, they were, but from a different timeline that never happened or...

Look, Chrono Cross was confusing. Let's not talk about it.

Brickroad
09-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Being mostly mute

This is exactly why Crono would be so awesome. He can kick your ass without the dopey monologues or pithy one liners.

Hell, his win quote should just be http://local-static0.forum-files.fobby.net/sprites/0000/1335/Crono_Victory_ChronoTrigger_.png.

Loki
09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Dissidia has a story?

Boy howdy does it ever. It has more story than you can shake a stick at as each hero goes through their own brand of existential angst... twice!

MetManMas
09-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Look, Chrono Cross was confusing. Let's not talk about it.

You know, I like to think there's an alternate reality someplace where Crono, Marle, and Lucca time travel to 1999 A.D. to beat the everloving crap out of Masato Kato for what he'll do with their characters in Chrono Cross. It makes the world feel like a better place. =D

Positronic Brain
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
existential angst... twice!

This sums up the plot in Dissidia quite nicely.

I wouldn't mind KH's Cloud design if it weren't for that ridiculous single wing - that's taking things too far. On the other hand, Square and subtle symbolism aren't exactly the best of friends.

Zef
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I hate KH1 Cloud's design because it's a mishmash of Sephiroth, Cloud, and Vincent's designs. It's unwieldy and ridiculous. Why would Cloud ape Vincent's claw gloves or tattered cape?

Oh, and Lightning's alt costume was stolen from Aya Brea's closet (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Claire_Lightning_Farron_-_2nd_Alt_Costume.png), apparently.

alexb
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
It's like he's admitting all of his characters are indistinguishable with this.

SilentSnake
09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
They're both unlockable bonuses for buying other games. You get the Aya Brea costume with 3rd Birthday, and KH Cloud comes with Birth By Sleep Final Mix.

At least in Japan.

Reinforcements
09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Sorry if this is a discussion this thread has already had, but I'm really curious if there's a philosophy behind some of these game names at SqEnix beyond, "Stupid names are attention-getting."

Also, seeing that Cloud costume makes me mad because it reminds me of the stupid Cloud plot-tumor in KHII that was a big part of why I never finished that game.

Coinspinner
09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Usually I am the first one to point out that you can't judge a game from a game by a single picture, but....

(seriously, I really hope this is not a story driven scene but just a mere alternate costume....)

They went with this instead of the shimmery dress? Ugh!

I also like KH1 Cloud. His outfit actually has a color.

Lookit that red cape! It's so vibrant and NOT BLACK LEATHER.

Could do without the sword bandages though, but w/e. Seriously it reminds me of effing Bleach.

Cloud's uniform was blue/purple in his original game. Black in the art of course, darn them PS1 limitations depriving us of the creator's intent, etc.

Kishi
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Cloud's uniform was blue/purple in his original game. Black in the art of course, darn them PS1 limitations depriving us of the creator's intent, etc.

It was blue in the art. I think the only place it was black was on some of the FMV models.

ZRofel
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I like Kingdom Hearts Cloud's costume. As a few folks have said, it's just more dynamic than his regular one.

Nobuyuki
09-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Sorry if this is a discussion this thread has already had, but I'm really curious if there's a philosophy behind some of these game names at SqEnix beyond, "Stupid names are attention-getting."

Latin is the new zipper.

Zef
09-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Latin is the new zipper.

Dissidia Duodenum: Caveat Emptor

BlitzBlast
09-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Better than Engrish.

onimaruxlr
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
On The 3rd birthday, Nomura confirms that the Lightning costume can tear apart like Aya's other outfits. When it breaks apart, you'll be able to see Lightning's l'Cie mark on Aya.

That's...delightful!

MetManMas
09-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I like Kingdom Hearts Cloud's costume. As a few folks have said, it's just more dynamic than his regular one.

I definitely love Cloud's colorful Kingdom Hearts design (save for the wing), though something I'd really love to see more as an alternate Cloud outfit would be Unshaded Box Cloud.

To clarify, I'd love an alternate version of Cloud that's his (unshaded) FFVII PS1 battle model, and would love it even more if he appears as his big-headed Popeye arms field model during events while using it, with his spoken dialogue replaced by poorly translated text windows.

And yet, I know this is a thing we'll never have. =(

Kishi
09-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Cloud's special final battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6Iprlb2Hk) model (shown here (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100701232349/finalfantasy/images/3/3c/Cloud-ffvii-special.png) in more detail, without his sword or textures) is actually quite comely for its vintage, so I'd certainly wouldn't mind if it were ever brought up again.

MetManMas
09-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Wait, Cloud has actual fingers on final battle model? That's pretty awesome right there; I always thought they were textures.

Destil
09-21-2010, 12:14 AM
That's...delightful!

Time to go from a somewhat tasteful treatment of at least Lightning's l'Cie mark to this: 11 months. Keep classy, Nomura.

Elements
09-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Bleh, KH Cloud has always felt like bad shounen-flavoured fanfic Cloud to me. "Dude, it's Cloud, but with Vincent's cape and glove! And a DEVIL wing, 'cuz Sephiroth had an Angel wing!" furthermore, it's still possible for me to forget all the ridiculous post-FF7 stuff and recall the original product. And when I think of Cloud having someone propose a red cape or bandaged sword to him, I can only see him waving his big polygon block of a hand dismissively and saying, "That's stupid." Though he would probably get roped into it.... damn. Regardless, KH Cloud has always just felt like the manifestation of CLoud fanboys, a totally separate entity from real Cloud. That said, though, these days I tend much more towards more down-to-earth, simple designs. Aaaaand, all that said... I really don't mind it being an alternate model in Dissidia, but I'll never use it.

Personally, I really hope this allows for some non final dungeon stages. Such as IV's World of Summoned Monsters, or VI's Magitech Factory or Floating Continent. A Blitzball ring? The stage from Fisherman's Horizon in VIII, complete with a band performing as you fight? I dunno'. I like fighting game stage details, even if "fighting game" is used loosely here.

Bongo Bill
09-21-2010, 07:30 AM
I definitely love Cloud's colorful Kingdom Hearts design (save for the wing), though something I'd really love to see more as an alternate Cloud outfit would be Unshaded Box Cloud.

To clarify, I'd love an alternate version of Cloud that's his (unshaded) FFVII PS1 battle model, and would love it even more if he appears as his big-headed Popeye arms field model during events while using it, with his spoken dialogue replaced by poorly translated text windows.

And yet, I know this is a thing we'll never have. =(

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww180/riskbreaker255/Cosplay/cloud.jpg

BlitzBlast
09-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Oh cosplayers. Sometimes they're so precious. And other times they're so horrifying.

In any case, here's hoping they put the Big Bridge from FFV in.

Pigu
09-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Apparently confirmed for US release in 2011! Nice! Now just MHp3 and VC3 and Ill be happy.

Zef
09-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Personally, I really hope this allows for some non final dungeon stages. Such as IV's World of Summoned Monsters, or VI's Magitech Factory or Floating Continent. A Blitzball ring? The stage from Fisherman's Horizon in VIII, complete with a band performing as you fight? I dunno'. I like fighting game stage details, even if "fighting game" is used loosely here.

Um, that was the Magitek Factory as FFVI's representative in Dissidia 1 :p Me, I'd like to see the Opera House, the Phantom Forest (with random runaway train apparitions,) and the Fanatics' Tower, so that you fight on the catwalks outside of it.

But if XII makes an appearance, I would absolutely love Nabudis, the Great Crystal, the summit of the Pharos, or the top deck of the Sky Fortress. Though a Giruvegan stage where the platforms appeared and disappeared according to your footsteps would be awesome.

Coinspinner
09-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Off topic, but I wouldn't mind seeing untextured gourad shading come back.

Vaeran
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Um, that was the Magitek Factory as FFVI's representative in Dissidia 1 :p

If you want to get technical, it was the portion of Kefka's Tower that was made up of the Magitek Factory.

I'd definitely love to see the Opera House from FF6 as a stage, too. Add to that the Sky Fortress from FF1, a midair battle on the Red Wings fleet from FF4, the Gold Saucer from FF7 (there's a ton of cool stuff they could do with this), and Memoria from FF9.

Positronic Brain
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I'd definitely love to see the Opera House from FF6 as a stage, too. Add to that the Sky Fortress from FF1, a midair battle on the Red Wings fleet from FF4, the Gold Saucer from FF7 (there's a ton of cool stuff they could do with this), and Memoria from FF9.

All I want for Christmas is a Laguna/Squall battle in Galbadia garden.

Belmont
09-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Apparently confirmed for US release in 2011!

There was never much doubt that it would be making its way here. Just hope that it would drop its retarded name. And it's looking like they didn't.

What a retarded name.

http://www.alteredstatesfx.co.uk/images/hunchback_1.gif

Regulus
09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Man, I'd like to see Laguna in this game if only because of Desperado. I mean, he throws a grenade and proceeds to swing around the battlefield on a rope that materialized out of nowhere, emptying his machinegun into everything nearby. It doesn't get much more badass than that.

MetManMas
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh yes, I'd definitely love The Man with the Machine Gun to be a playable character in Dissidia. I'll take an idiot over an asshole any day. I always loved how Squall's dream land flashback persona/father is the complete opposite of him in personality. =D

O..O~
10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
So i've been playing dissidia a lot recently and I thought beating all 10 of the default characters stories would unlock SOMETHING substantial,but it didnt! Gah! Waste of my life especially since I got to the point where I was skipping a cinematic since seriously the writing is kingdom hearts 1 and 2 level of boring jrpg stupidity.

I have been playing as warrior of light through the first shade impulse and wow I was not expecting the difficulty to jump up like that, kefka in shade impulse 1-2 in the first 5 seconds manages to get enough brave for one hp attack to take me out every time.

Refa
10-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Don't forget the Quintet games. Wouldn't it be awesome to play as GOD and demolish every single FF character? :)

Chrono can be some cool little extra or something, but he's tangential. This is a FF fighting game, right? It should have chocobo's!...And some moogles, too.

You know, I like to think there's an alternate reality someplace where Crono, Marle, and Lucca time travel to 1999 A.D. to beat the everloving crap out of Masato Kato for what he'll do with their characters in Chrono Cross. It makes the world feel like a better place. =D

Coming soon on Chrono Trigger 3DS, a SNES port with tacked on 3D graphics, ONE new ending, and a $50 price tag! :)

As for extra stages, a battle on the Red Wings would be pretty cool, maybe while they're bombing up some helpless little village or spoilery castle or something.

BlitzBlast
10-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Honestly, they really should just remake Cross.

Seriously, that game had a lot of good ideas.

It was just executed terribly.

And I'd like to see a battlefield in the sky where you can jump from airship to airship, with each airship being from a different game.

Positronic Brain
10-20-2010, 01:20 AM
And I'd like to see a battlefield in the sky where you can jump from airship to airship, with each airship being from a different game.

Your idea is so cool it'll never happen. >_<

O..O~
10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
So I havent seen any new characters annouced besides tifa but then I find this screenshot of a shirtless cloak wearing guy. (http://the-magicbox.com/1010/dissidia2010.jpg) Who the hell is that?

TheSL
10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
So I havent seen any new characters annouced besides tifa but then I find this screenshot of a shirtless cloak wearing guy. (http://the-magicbox.com/1010/dissidia2010.jpg) Who the hell is that?

They're officially acknowledging The After Years- Golbez.

Positronic Brain
10-25-2010, 09:37 AM
They're officially acknowledging The After Years...

Boy, I'm glad I didn't play that game. And for a moment I was afraid he was an alter skin for Kain

MetManMas
10-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Boy, I'm glad I didn't play that game. And for a moment I was afraid he was an alter skin for Kain

If Golbez's TAY counterpart got in, I won't be surprised to see Cecil's and Kain's in there. Yeah, I can't bring myself to care about FFIV's cellphone ROMhack sequel after playing the real FFIV 50 billion times. =/

Positronic Brain
11-10-2010, 04:50 AM
OH GOD WHY >_< (http://www.qj.net/qjnet/psp/vaan-joins-dissidia-duodecim.html)

nadia
11-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Well, I guess "Dissidia 012" isn't as dumb as whatever they're calling Kingdom Hearts these days.

And I want to see Laguna in this game. Otherwise, it can take a hike.

Zef
11-10-2010, 07:28 AM
OH GOD WHY >_< (http//www.qj.net/qjnet/psp/vaan-joins-dissidia-duodecim.html)

Hey, neat! I'm actually one of the few people that liked him and his role in the game, and I'd pick him a thousand times over Cloud, so he's a worthwhile addition to the roster.

I wonder if his EX Mode would involve putting on a shirt, like in FFTA2.

Wheels
11-10-2010, 07:50 AM
OH GOD WHY >_< (http//www.qj.net/qjnet/psp/vaan-joins-dissidia-duodecim.html)

Why? Because he's the "main" character in FFXII. Not who'd I'd choose, but it makes sense.

Pombar
11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Why? Because he's the "main" character in FFXII. Not who'd I'd choose, but it makes sense.They've been taking the "main" thing loosely to make the villains a better rounded cast, the least they could've done was to drop the least popular FF lead in lieu of his much more popular wannabe-lead companion (who would play much more interestingly to boot!)

TheSL
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
They've been taking the "main" thing loosely to make the villains a better rounded cast, the least they could've done was to drop the least popular FF lead in lieu of his much more popular wannabe-lead companion (who would play much more interestingly to boot!)

The same could be said of Lightning aka "Girl Cloud."

Zef
11-10-2010, 09:26 AM
They've been taking the "main" thing loosely to make the villains a better rounded cast, the least they could've done was to drop the least popular FF lead in lieu of his much more popular wannabe-lead companion (who would play much more interestingly to boot!)

By whose standards? I'd be tempted to claim "Cloud" there (overexposure has predisposed me against him) while others would claim "Squall," and others still would say "Tidus." And considering Basch was explicitly shunted aside in favor of Vaan in the original game, and Vaan was made the true protagonist of Revenant Wings and he got a major, plot-driving role in A2, who the "least popular lead" is becomes a nebulous concept.

Plus I like Vaan. After all is said and done, I like him better than Balthier. Yes, I went there.

mopinks
11-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I would've picked Fran cuz she's foxy.

Brickroad
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Vaan is fine.

Balthier would have been better.

Pajaro Pete
11-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Vaan is fine.

Don't worry, Balthier will be playable in Lactans Emptor Dissidia Final Fantasy 0731, coming to a PSP near you in 2012.

BlitzBlast
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
You guys know it's called Dissidia 012 because it's supposed to be the twelth timeloop (original Dissidia was the 13th I think), right?

Also, they acknowledged After Years way back in Kain's EX Mode.

Eusis
11-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Vaan is fine.

Deptford
11-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Balthier also just would have been more interesting. In addition to having a personality and style that would stand out far more than Vaan, a gun-wielding sky pirate would presumably play far more distinctly, but hey! We play the cards we are dealt. I just find Vaan kind of foreign, because I always move him out of my active party in XII as soon as I am able, and he languishes around level 20 while the other cool kids all go on this grand adventure, and I only ever even see Vaan when I need to hit a town for some business matters. He's basically just a cursor I use to move around towns, talk to people, and buy and sell things. And if a cursor had to make it into Dissidia, I'd prefer Ol' Glovey.
http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy4/Objects/HandCursor.gif

SpoonyGundam
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I was honestly expecting Basch, since Gabranth is already the FFXII villain rep and all. The kid stole Basch's shot as main character again.

I guess they're going to play up the whole Gabranth killing Reks thing as the connection between the two, but it really seems like a weaker pair than what could have happened.

Balthier and Cid would have been even better, though.

j00ey
11-10-2010, 07:48 PM
You guys know it's called Dissidia 012 because it's supposed to be the twelth timeloop (original Dissidia was the 13th I think), right?

you phrase that as if we are the crazy ones.

onimaruxlr
11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Locke or Celes or Edgar or Sabin or Cyan would've been better than Terra but you don't see me crying

Bleck
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Terra is the main character of FF6, just like Balthier and Basch are the main characters of FF12.

Lion Yamato
11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Terra is the main character of FF6, just like Balthier and Basch are the main characters of FF12.

And how Sazh was the main character of 13. Or the only one worth remembering. However you prefer.

MetManMas
11-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Locke or Celes or Edgar or Sabin or Cyan would've been better than Terra but you don't see me crying

Thanks a friggin' lot, dude. Now I'm depressed we still don't have the lecherous tool king as a playable character. I wanna go Dr. Salvador on Sephiroth so bad. =(

Really, as interested as I am in playing the Dissidias, I think the whole protagonist/antagonist focus is its biggest weakness. Wangsty sword people, magic girls, armor men, and woman men are boring when you've got the likes of a scarred flaming cat-dog creature, a cat doll on a moogle doll with a megaphone, a thick-accented sports player who throws balls, an androgynous frog-eating chef, a serious comic relief knight with ridiculous armor, a yeti, a mime, an octopus, a moogle wielding a spear bigger than he is, a wild child who uses monster skills, the man with the machine gun, a hot dog loving chicken wuss, a crazy bearded man who wields a hammer and survives blowing himself up, and Gilgamesh in your backlog.

Well, at least they made a good choice putting Kefka in the series from the start.

Zef
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
or Cyan would've been better than Terra

what

I don't want EX Bursts to involve waiting for a bar to charge over the course of a minute!

BlitzBlast
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
you phrase that as if we are the crazy ones.

Well yeah. The name makes sense in context like most Square Enix games.

And honestly, it'd be kind of hard to have a sequel time loop to a game thats plot is explicitly about ending the time loop. So they had to go with a prequel. And 13 minus one is 12 so...

Anyways, last I heard the number of new characters is going to be equal to the number of new stages.

Also, seems Vaan's copying Firion with the whole "use multiple weapons" thing.

Bleck
11-10-2010, 11:49 PM
And how Sazh was the main character of 13. Or the only one worth remembering. However you prefer.

I still haven't played 13, nor do I intend to, but this does seem to actually be the case, from what I hear.

And honestly, it'd be kind of hard to have a sequel time loop to a game thats plot is explicitly about ending the time loop. So they had to go with a prequel.

Most of the plot of the first one points towards there being a sequel, though. Cosmo dies and then the heroes destroy Chaos, but then Shinryu revives them both because hey, why the hell not. And then he ominously states that "the next conflict will be the last".

BlitzBlast
11-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Oh wow, I actually forgot about that.

Oh well, not like Square would really just end it with only two installments.

They've got 14 loops to cover, and I bet we'll get a game for all of them.

Also, seems Kuja is a Warrior of Cosmos now. Yeah.

Positronic Brain
11-11-2010, 12:54 AM

Just because it's justified doesn't mean it is not a silly title.

Is there a marketing committee in charge of generating subtitles at Square or do they have a computer program running latin madlibs and randomly spewing out phrases that Square uses to write its marketing plans? Or maybe Nomura really is that insane.

Also...

Wangsty sword people, magic girls, armor men, and woman men are boring when you've got the likes of a scarred flaming cat-dog creature, a cat doll on a moogle doll with a megaphone...<snip!>

Agreed, but I'd also wager it'd sell less - and it would alienate a large base of the current fandom. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not the target audience for Square games anymore.

After all is said and done, I like him better than Balthier. Yes, I went there.

Don't worry, Zef, we still love you.

Brickroad
11-11-2010, 03:05 AM
I still haven't played 13, nor do I intend to, but this does seem to actually be the case, from what I hear.

You heard wrong. Lightning is way more memorable than Sazh.

And anyway, we're ignoring the obvious solution here: just include both.

Wheels
11-11-2010, 07:57 AM
You heard wrong. Lightning is way more memorable than Sazh.

And anyway, we're ignoring the obvious solution here: just include both.

Brick has the right of it, Lightning is awesome.

Octopus Prime
11-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Well yeah. The name makes sense in context like most Square Enix games.

No, it doesn't make sense in context either.

...Like most other Square-Enix games.

Bongo Bill
11-11-2010, 06:14 PM
More characters I hate means more opportunities to have a grand old time beating the hell out of them as Gilgamesh, so I'm okay with this.

Nobuyuki
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping the Dissidia series follows the path of Dragon Ball games so 15 titles from now we're getting Palom, Porom and Mid and the character select screen is three pages long.

Donny
11-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm hoping the Dissidia series follows the path of Dragon Ball games so 15 titles from now we're getting Palom, Porom and Mid and the character select screen is three pages long.

Fifteen variations of Cloud. SEVENTEEN variations of Crisis Core Cloud.

Lion Yamato
11-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Fifteen variations of Cloud. SEVENTEEN variations of Crisis Core Cloud.

Psh, you guys are clearly not scraping the bottom of the barrel enough. How about Chocobo Chick from FFXIII or Insulting Well joining the FFI cast?

Nobuyuki
11-11-2010, 09:48 PM
The invisible woman from Corneria Castle might already be there.

BlitzBlast
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
So, uh, guys?

Rewatching the trailer, I just noticed that Tidus has had a bit of a... redesign.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100922130013/finalfantasy/images/e/e9/Tidus_-_Shirtless.PNG

Kishi
11-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Helloooooo

MetManMas
11-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Alternate no outfit get?

ActionDan
11-11-2010, 10:24 PM
And yet this is a huge improvement over his original outfit. Ironic, that the solution to making Vaan's outfit not terrible was to give him a shirt while the solution to Tidus' seems to be taking the shirt away.

Nobuyuki
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
No clothes are certainly less dumb than his original clothes, but I'm not sure if it can be called an improvement.

ZRofel
11-12-2010, 07:17 AM

That would certainly be awesome, but from what I've been reading the limited storage space on a UMD is going to prevent there from being too many more characters than however many there are in the upcoming game. Unless they move to consoles I think we're out of luck.

Brickroad
11-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Unless they move to consoles I think we're out of luck.

Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't already made the jump.

cortbassist89
11-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I would suggest they just support the game with extra character DLC later on, but they'd probably want to avoid that; seems like they'd rather put out full retail releases.

Wheels
11-12-2010, 10:01 AM

I approve of this, Square-Enix make it so!

Zef
11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
So, uh, guys?

Rewatching the trailer

...there's a new trailer? Where?

ActionDan
11-12-2010, 11:33 AM
It's the same trailer from before I think. I remember seeing shirtless Tidus when I watched it a few months back.

Also I imagine the reason why Dissidia isn't making the jump to home consoles is due to Square-Enix is focusing on the Japanese market first and foremost (at least for this title) and the fact that the PSP and its games still sell very well in Japan.

Kirin
11-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I just found a copy on YouTube from early October that has the shirtless Tidus at 3:50-something.

ZRofel
11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Also I imagine the reason why Dissidia isn't making the jump to home consoles is due to Square-Enix is focusing on the Japanese market first and foremost (at least for this title) and the fact that the PSP and its games still sell very well in Japan.

Yeah, this is my take as well. The PSP is just the safe system for these types of games in Japan nowadays. It's a shame, too. More often than not I love when stuff is on handhelds, because that means I can play it on the go and I almost never mind the technical downgrade. But in this instance I feel like they could have a much more elaborate, awesome game if it was on a console.

SpoonyGundam
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
PSP2 isn't going to be too much farther away. Maybe they'll have room for 3000 characters there.

onimaruxlr
11-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Some more (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/22/dissidia_update/) new stuff (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/26/dissidia_official_site/)

The third costumes look kinda bland so far.

falz
11-22-2010, 01:11 AM
I still love how duodecim means 12 in latin. He's not fooling anyone with that 0 in front! I still don't really geddit. Was the weird math name for KH DS ever explained in game??

Positronic Brain
11-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Some more (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/22/dissidia_update/) new stuff (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/26/dissidia_official_site/)

I am terrified at the fact that they are adding complexity to the fighting engine. I thought the original already had too much stuff going on at any given time before we had to factor in "Assists" and "EX Revenge" and "Chaos/Cosmos Fluxes" or whatever...

TheSL
11-22-2010, 07:24 AM
I am terrified at the fact that they are adding complexity to the fighting engine. I thought the original already had too much stuff going on at any given time before we had to factor in "Assists" and "EX Revenge" and "Chaos/Cosmos Fluxes" or whatever...

The first game has the same problem as Dead or Alive- once you "get" the system 90% of it boils down to endless counter attacks until someone slips up and loses.

Kirin
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
The third costumes look kinda bland so far.

Noted exception: Basch skin.

MetManMas
11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Noted exception: Basch skin.

1) Do you have a picture?
2) This skin's for Judge Gabranth, right?

Kirin
11-22-2010, 01:49 PM
It's in the official site Flash thingy (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dissidia_012/), and yes.

You'd think technically it'd be his brother, but it does say "Basch" in the third form description, and hell, they're identical anyway.

BlitzBlast
11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Was the weird math name for KH DS ever explained in game??

358/2 Days?

What it's supposed to mean is 358 Days from 2 characters' point of view.

An earlier fan guess was 358 Days pass before Kingdom Hearts 2 begins.

Personally, I prefer the fan explanation.

O..O~
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
HOLY SHIT LAGUNA. (http://kotaku.com/5709306/final-fantasy-viiis-other-main-character-joins-dissidia-duodecim) And a world map? Neat!

Zef
12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
HOLY SHIT LAGUNA. (http://kotaku.com/5709306/final-fantasy-viiis-other-main-character-joins-dissidia-duodecim)

Day One. Earlier, if possible.

Edit: That's the FF1 world map? Day minus one. Even if I have to break into a developer's server!