PDA

View Full Version : What about board games do you like?

reibeatall
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
woah shit a new forum. So I guess that means it's time for my typical "what about x do you like" post.

So, what is it about the board games you like? For anybody who's played a game with me, it should be apparent that I just love griefing people. It's sorta a dick move, but it's fun, and funny, and a very awesome story to tell afterwards.

djSyndrome
09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
So, what is it about the board games you like? For anybody who's played a game with me, it should be apparent that I just love griefing people. It's sorta a dick move, but it's fun, and funny, and a very awesome story to tell afterwards.

It's fantastic. I also like how you won that game of Carcasonne when you were gone for your last two turns.

reibeatall
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
It's fantastic. I also like how you won that game of Carcasonne when you were gone for your last two turns.

Yeah, that was pretty dope.

ChefCthulhu
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Me personally I love the social aspect of boardgames. It's the perfect time to have idle chit chat about everything in life. I also prefer Co-Op games where everyone plots and plans together to over come something.

But generally it's all about the chattering about random stuff.

Sarcasmorator
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Rei, you were born to play Battlestar Galactica.

BORN

I like the face-to-face aspect of board games; I kind of hate playing most games online these days, except for strategy games (Sins, Starcraft, etc.). Too disconnected, and you can never throw a die at the other guy's face.

It's also the physicality of it all. I love seeing, having and organizing little bits and pieces. I bought a bunch of storage boxes on sale at Michael's over the weekend, and sorted all eight sets of plastic units from Twilight Imperium into them so it'll be a snap to set up play areas whenever I get to it again. I periodically take out games and fiddle with how they're boxed up. I have a storage system. Video games I just line up on the shelf.

TheSL
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I always liked Dark Tower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxrY7MWEkwE) and Fireball Island (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c), but both of those have been out of print for ages.

djSyndrome
09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Rei, you were born to play Battlestar Galactica.

BORN

He really was. We need to see about getting him down to California!

reibeatall
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Rei being a Cylon is probably the only way I'll ever see the humans win a game.

Unless I make you think I'm a cylon and I'm actually a human. Which is totally possible with me!

TheSL
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but this is the "what about board games do you like" thread.

My dad still has both of the family copies of those games, so I'm set if I ever want to play. Its just a shame that more people can't enjoy them without ridiculous (http://cgi.ebay.com/Working-Milton-Bradley-DARK-TOWER-Board-Game-w-Guide-/360297995511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e36f1cf7) prices. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fireball-Island-Board-Game-Complete-Mint-1986-/150489069955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2309d8f983)

Karzac
09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
My favourite thing about boardgames, other than the social aspect, is the element of randomness. Most of my favourite games involve dice in some way, because I love not knowing exactly what's going to happen next and having the ability to change everything with a few lucky rolls.

Destil
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Now that he's mentioned his griefing ways, I need to tell people the story of my games of Bang! with rei at PAX.

It was me, rei, and a group of 3 strangers we'd cajoled into learning the game.

I was the newbie guy with the howitzer, guess that makes it my fault.

Foxeris
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Unless I make you think I'm a cylon and I'm actually a human. Which is totally possible with me!

Oddly sometimes it's useful to act like a Cylon at the start of the game (I've done such things like that) Doubly so if you have a sympathizer card in the deck.

Though when I AM a cylon at the start of the game I play things a bit different but not so much so that people notice. I usually am reasonably helpful but will work against certain people no matter what.

One of the best games I played I started as a cylon and played it like a human (I was also President Baltar ;) by the later half of the game there was suspicion of another player of being a cylon so I used my once per a game to look at his loyalty cards. Turns out he was cylon, so I loudly declared that he was human. The look of confusion on his face was priceless, and better yet everyone believed me because I couldn't possibly be a cylon myself. That was a great game.

Sarcasmorator
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
He really was. We need to see about getting him down to California!

Oh, man. A game with him and SDMX in the mix would be the most paranoid ever.

Googleshng
09-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Games in general are Good because they are Fun. Boardgames specifically (as opposed to videogames mainly) are nice because:
- You can generally add more players without needing extra equipment.
- Electricity is not a requirement, allowing them to be played easily on park benches (wind permitting) during blackouts, etc.
- The rules are always fully digestible and completely understood by at least one person present (at least in that if no one is aware of a rule, that rule automatically becomes disabled).
- Multiplayer turn based strategy is par for the course.
- Physical objects are neat.
- From a design standpoint, not having a hard limit on how much information can be easily presented at once is a Good Thing.

That last one I probably need to explain. Right now I'm working on converting this here groovy mostly card driven but with other stuff game (not that one (http://www.world-domination-llc.com/games/mvm/gva.shtml), a new one) into something that can be played in a web browser, ideally at low resolutions. In physical mode? Easy. Here's your deck, here's your hand, a couple cards currently in play, dice, scratch paper for HP tracking, ideally some little props to make it easier to track some lasting effects. Everything you need to be able to check at a glance is directly in front of you, on a small table.

Stick it on a monitor though and suddenly there's some headaches. Just looking at the cards in your hand and what they do is going to pretty much fill the screen, numbers and effects that need tracking will too, and that's without the extra clutter of indicating whose turn it is, results of die rolls, and the embellishments that keep you from just staring at a spreadsheet. Look at any Magic computer/console adaptation and you'll see what I'm getting at.

shivam
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
the thing i like about board games is that i'm playing with people i can see and talk to.

Cyrael
09-08-2010, 12:56 PM
the thing i like about board games is that i'm playing with people i can see and talk to.

Yep. The social aspect is what gets me. Also, any co-op game is what I like. I mean, most of the PnP 'Role Playing' games I play typically don't do too much actual role playing as much as it is just a bunch of friends getting into a room and playing a game together.

Dawnswalker
09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I like the social aspect of board games, the unpredictability of any given game, the "house rules" factor, and just the general tactileness of the experience. It's also much easier to convince a whole crowd of people to play board games together than it is to convince them to play videogames together, since just about everyone knows how board games basically work.

And if you choose the right game for the right crowd, magic happens.

Jeanie
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm not too big into most board games, having grown up playing mostly card games with my grandma. However, I will ALWAYS make some time for Cribbage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage).

Stiv
09-08-2010, 02:52 PM
My favourite thing about boardgames, other than the social aspect, is the element of randomness.

This is actually my least favorite aspect of many board games. I play (and love) a lot of games with managed luck, where you can at least play the odds.

But I like them for the reason many people have said already: They're a social activity. I get together with a bunch of dudes and we have some beers and talk and play some games and have a good time. The other thing that's great about board games, of course, is the theming - I've played some games with truly weird and interesting themes, as opposed to video games, which are still largely Beefy Dude Shoots Things (especially those that you play with others). That's just not as fun for me as a game about being some German asshole building a wine cellar, or a fanciful scenario in which Turkey has invaded Minnesota, circa 1812.

Red Hedgehog
09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
The social aspect and getting to exercise my brain.

sraymonds
09-08-2010, 03:53 PM

tungwene
09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't like playing video games against people online. So I like board games because you're playing with people you can see. And also board games deceptively look inviting to newbies because by their nature they look like something you can pick up the rules really easy without having to be "good" at games of the sort the way video games do. Emphasis on deceptively.

Sarcasmorator
09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
This is actually my least favorite aspect of many board games. I play (and love) a lot of games with managed luck, where you can at least play the odds.

I agree here. I've come to hate straight-up luck (Catan resource rolls), but love games with luck management (Stone Age, Roll Through the Ages, Arkham Horror) where you can improve your chances without making it a sure thing.

mugenkokoro
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Most of what I was going to say has already been mentioned (direct social interaction, physical objects, complexity and display of information), but there's more than that too. A lot of board games have really unique mechanics that lead to a lot of strategic complexity. Some of my favorite games require more long-term planning than your average video game, and it's challenging to get right (and satisfying to succeed). I also like the variety of games out there...everything from Zombie Dice to Dominion to Iron Dragon.

I like that most board games take an hour or two to play, and then they're done. I tried getting into D&D, but the weekly commitment kind of dragged me down. With my board gaming group, I go, I play a game or two, and I'm done, and it's not a big detriment to the group if I don't show up.

I also like that it's a change of pace from video games.

Brickroad
09-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I love winning most, I think.

Karzac
09-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree here. I've come to hate straight-up luck (Catan resource rolls), but love games with luck management (Stone Age, Roll Through the Ages, Arkham Horror) where you can improve your chances without making it a sure thing.

Oh, I agree. Luck management is a big part of the fun for me too. Although you can manage your luck in Catan, by picking spots with good numbers and making sure that you have a good spread of numbers.

Sarcasmorator
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh, I agree. Luck management is a big part of the fun for me too. Although you can manage your luck in Catan, by picking spots with good numbers and making sure that you have a good spread of numbers.

That's true, but turn by turn it's all about the dice, and if you get squeezed out of too many good spots at setup you're at a real disadvantage.

Red Hedgehog
09-08-2010, 11:32 PM
That's true, but turn by turn it's all about the dice, and if you get squeezed out of too many good spots at setup you're at a real disadvantage.

Turn by turn, you can get unlucky on dice rolls and not have much to do. And that's definitely a legitimate complaint against the game that many have. Especially if this happens at the beginning of the game and you end up way behind. But (at least in a 4-player game) there will always be enough good spots during the setup such that you can pick spots with good probabilities to manage the luck. Heck, they even have dots on the numbers to remind you of the frequency at which they'll be rolled.

I still really enjoy Catan despite its flaws because it is one of the more social German board games. The trading is a really great aspect.

Torgo
09-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Social aspect, definitely. Getting around a table, food, drinks, the whole nine yards. Board games are something I've never been able to really do though. Back in high school I had a few buddies I'd play Risk or Catan with once in awhile, but that's really it.

Ultimately, board games is one of those things I'd totally cajole people into coming over to my place and playing if I had a place to invite people to. Anything is a tougher sell when it's, "Let's get together at your place."

Ossobucco
09-09-2010, 12:41 AM
5-player Catan is the best Catan. The expanded board is big enough to practically guarantee that everyone gets decent starting placements and expansion opportunities, and the special building phase really speeds up the pace of the game and makes trading much more viable and important.

The thing I like most about board games: vicious and ingenious plays that completely screw over another player, especially when they involve questionable ethics and/or arguing about the interpretation of specific rules. Games that involve a lot of dealmaking and negotiation offer the best opportunities for this sort of thing, which is why I really like Catan. I especially like the Cities & Knights and Traders & Barbarians expansions, which add a lot of additional trading resources for even more ridiculous and convoluted deals (I will trade you two wheat and one cloth in exchange for a coin and a paper, but only if you promise to use your fish token to remove the robber from our 5 (this will secretly allow me to secure the metropolis we're competing for by trading that coin and paper to other players for more cloth)).

Sarcasmorator
09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Another thing I like about board games: transparency of design. With a lot (not all) of video games you can tell why and how some things work or do what they do, but not all.

An example would be how damage is calculated in Final Fantasy XIII, or something you can see how much damage you're doing, you know that using the right Paradigms, spells and weapons will do more, but unless you work out the formulae used to calculate damage then that's as far as it goes. Causes are more readily apparent in most board games.

mugenkokoro
09-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Another thing I like about board games: transparency of design. With a lot (not all) of video games you can tell why and how some things work or do what they do, but not all.

Hmm, I never thought about this before...but it's a very good point.

Luana
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't like playing video games against people online. So I like board games because you're playing with people you can see.

Pretty much this. I hate playing video games with people (unless they're two player co-op and my partner is very patient), but I love playing board games with actual people. It's the sly looks, the manipulation, the laughter and fun shared by all that you just can't replicate when playing a game online with someone.

For anybody who's played a game with me, it should be apparent that I just love griefing people. It's sorta a dick move, but it's fun, and funny, and a very awesome story to tell afterwards.

You mean like when you, rycarshins, fugu13 and I were playing Fluxx and you decided who won just because you could? Or when everyone at the last Seattle meetup ganged up on me re: the Secret Chamber card in Dominion?

Seriously, though, reibeatall likes playing board games because he likes to grief. I like playing board games because I'm good at being griefed, and I fully embrace this and enjoy it for what it is (as long as you're being a good sport about it -- if you're being a jerk, I will not play along at all). You see, the beautiful thing is that as the perfect mark, I'm able to play up the "who, me?" card and totally fuck you over because I "don't understand" what's going on. It's just as much of a dick move, sure, but it's not my fault that you're easily manipulated!