PDA

View Full Version : LttP: God of War 2

Shagohod
09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I got this game cause it was on the cheap (8$) and I played a few levels and I am unsure of how this game got 9's and 10's. I mean for a PS2 game it has fantastic graphics, and granted I haven't gotten that far yet, but it isn't striking me as super enjoyable. Too many hit sponge enemy hallways. Plus the colossus of Rhodes had seemingly unblockable attacks that were frustrating. I would try rolling but it'd still hit me like 90 percent of the time. Plus the excessive QTE's get kind of old, even if they are easy. I'm a big fan of the br00tal killings and such, but repetitive combat wears on me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I'm open to any ideas to make combat seem less tedious. Is there super bad ass stuff later in the game?

Andrew
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Too many hit sponge enemy hallways. Plus the colossus of Rhodes had seemingly unblockable attacks that were frustrating.

It's a 100 foot high animated statue.

uhhh

Indeed.

Why the hell would you try to block attacks from a 100 foot high animated statue? There's an evade feature, you know?

If you didn't like GoW2 you would really, really, really hate GoW1. GoW2 is basically better in every way. Too much combat? Seriously? It's much better paced than GoW1, a game I hated.

Shagohod
09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Other fellow named Andrew: Why the hell would you try to block attacks from a 100 foot high animated statue? There's an evade feature, you know?

me: I would try rolling but it'd still hit me like 90 percent of the time

It's not too much combat that's the problem. It's too much banal combat. I only have one weapon so far and I got bored of using it after 10 minutes. How long until i get another one?

Matchstick
09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
It's not too much combat that's the problem. It's too much banal combat. I only have one weapon so far and I got bored of using it after 10 minutes. How long until i get another one?

Stop playing.

Shagohod
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
But it does have rad stuff I like, such as that aerial griffon fight, and the innards of the Colossus. Is the rad stuff more spread out throughout the game or somethin? Seems like I'm not doin somethin right. I dunno. I like the setting and such.

Aquadeo
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
There are other weapons in the game, yes, but I found them to be generally less interesting than the chain blades. There is rad set piece stuff, yes, but you've already said the QTEs are getting old for you.

If you want to make combat less tedious, you're going to have to embrace the chain blades and master all the different combos and techniques available for them. Because there will be long hallways of enemies, and practicing different ways of killing them will keep you from noticing just how many there are.

Sorry, man, but from what you've said so far, it doesn't seem like this is going to be the game for you.

chady
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
The game is 80 percent combat, 10 percent qte, 5 percent adventure game and 5 percent leveling up for combat. Which pretty much means if you're bored now it will only get worse. The setting is pretty great, the story so-so, and there are some cool boss battles you have to figure out.

The good news is that the chains are cool as hell. The other weapons, not so much.

Dawnswalker
09-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, there will be more weapons for you to use, but you're going to have to become a wizard with those chain-blades before you can get them. Not to mention that the God of War games are basically the poster children for excessive QTEs.

If you think you can overcome these things and enjoy GoW2 anyway, then that's good. If you don't, then at least you only spent $8 on it?

Andrew
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I would try rolling but it'd still hit me like 90 percent of the time.

I got overwhelming with the comment about blocking the moves. :P It's just generally a rule of thumb that with a boss that big, blocking ain't gonna cut it for most moves, except for maybe projectiles.

Get better at evading, is all I can say. Rather than simply reacting to the statue attacking you need to watch for visual cues. It's pretty much Boss Fighting 101.

Yeah, there will be more weapons for you to use, but you're going to have to become a wizard with those chain-blades before you can get them.

They're less versatile anyway. The chainblades are GoW's things; so naturally, they are showcased most of the time.

Not to mention that the God of War games are basically the poster children for excessive QTEs.

I see you and raise you a NINJA BLADE!

Sorry, man, but from what you've said so far, it doesn't seem like this is going to be the game for you.

Chains of Olympus might be more up his alley. There's an increased focus on defense in the combat with how useful the shield reflect is, but still...GoW2 is my fave out of 1, 2, and Chains, so I don't think it's that big of a difference ultimately. However, the Colossus portion is seriously the worst portion of the game, too, and I still liked it way more than all of GoW1.