PDA

View Full Version : The Action Cast

Pages : [1] 2 3

reibeatall
09-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok, I'm just making a specific topic for The Action Cast (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/action-cast/id391256469) since we keep talking about it other places.

Guys, this is Shake, Calories, Alixser, ESA, and myself's podcast about blowin' shit up and killin' dudes.

Calorie Mate
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Website here (http://onthestick.com/actioncast), though there's not much there besides show notes. But you need the show notes! (Not really.)

Also recording this thing is way fun.

Adrenaline
09-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Wasn't I supposed to be on this once?

sraymonds
09-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Sorry, but who's ESA?

reibeatall
09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Stephen/Just Talking Meat/ Eric Stephen Allen

sraymonds
09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Stephen/Just Talking Meat/ Eric Stephen Allen

Sorry, I still don't know who that is. j/k

Adrenaline
09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/member.php?u=77

Dizzy
09-11-2010, 07:29 AM
You guys seem like a fun bunch. I like the IMDb'ing during the conversation -- makes it more informed by the minute. I can't believe the Green/White Ranger is currently in the MMA and everyone wants to beat up on him. That's hilarious.

reibeatall
09-11-2010, 11:05 AM
You guys seem like a fun bunch. I like the IMDb'ing during the conversation -- makes it more informed by the minute. I can't believe the Green/White Ranger is currently in the MMA and everyone wants to beat up on him. That's hilarious.

Dude, I watched some of his videos, and holy shit, that guy's fucking insane. The ref ended one of his matches after like 36 seconds because Tommy kept BEATING IN HIS FACE after he was on the ground.

Dizzy
09-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Holy smokes. I haven't followed his career but he's looking buff and mean. I remember him being really scrawny in his Green Ranger days, he even did this laughable Green Ranger workout video that I avidly watched. Compare with the Red Ranger (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Austinstjohn.JPG/220px-Austinstjohn.JPG).

sraymonds
09-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Please please please watch this movie and talk about it on your next podcast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDcd8DZK_o)

ShakeWell
09-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Please please please watch this movie and talk about it on your next podcast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDcd8DZK_o)

Yeah, I think we need to watch that.

Calorie Mate
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
That's pretty good, but you've forced my hand and made me drop this link now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9AxO5t4BE&feature=player_embedded). I was saving it for when we had no idea what to watch next, but: you're welcome.

reibeatall
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
We now have a Twitter account. We're as legit as Paris Hilton and Sarah Palin now!

@ActionCast, if you couldn't have guessed.

ShakeWell
09-15-2010, 11:41 PM
That's pretty good, but you've forced my hand and made me drop this link now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9AxO5t4BE&feature=player_embedded). I was saving it for when we had no idea what to watch next, but: you're welcome.

I feel like there's a universe of sweet Bollywood action movies I had no idea about...

Dizzy
09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
And Nollywood, don't forget (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohUICLZyGk).

Calorie Mate
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I feel like there's a universe of sweet Bollywood action movies I had no idea about...

Indeed. I'm sure we'll dig into it eventually. Maybe we'll get Shivam to throw up some suggestions or something.

reibeatall
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Indeed. I'm sure we'll dig into it eventually. Maybe we'll get Shivam to throw up some suggestions or something.

That's racist.

Calorie Mate
09-16-2010, 10:47 AM
That's racist.

Know anyone else that might be able to suggest Bollywood movies? Because I sure don't, and I know for a fact he watches them. Nothing racist about it.

Alternate response: this is the action movie thread. I can treat minorities however I want, because I'm American!

reibeatall
09-16-2010, 11:36 PM
So I don't mean to brag, but when you guys hear episode 4 (not the one that's about to go up), you'll realize that this is the right thing to podcast over.

Calorie Mate
09-17-2010, 12:23 AM
And speaking of episode 3, it's up (onthestick.com/actioncast). Or, at least, what we could salvage of it.

reibeatall
09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
And now, episode 4 (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/9/action-cast-4-the-crackdown) is up. Somebody download it and tell me how it is.

reibeatall
10-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Episode 4b is up. Guys talk about us plz

Balrog
10-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi guys, long time listener, first time caller. What the fuck is up with the 1a-1b/ 4a-4b crap? Can you fuckwits not decide a format or what?

reibeatall
10-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question, Balrog from Okla.

But I will answer your question with a different answer. We're still trying to figure out what the fuck we're doing re: podcasting. Also, Anthony is an idiot and hasn't decided if the B-sides should be released before or after the podcast it's taken from.

Balrog
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Calories is involved? Well, that's all you had to say.

Adrenaline
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Action movies are a pretty narrow scope for an entire podcast!

Calorie Mate
10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
But I will answer your question with a different answer. We're still trying to figure out what the fuck we're doing re: podcasting. Also, Anthony is an idiot and hasn't decided if the B-sides should be released before or after the podcast it's taken from.

That's not true! They're always taken from the ones that precede them. (i.e. 4b follows after Action Cast 4.)

The idea was they're like 4 minutes long and something short we can put out, since we really don't have the time to be putting out an entire episode every week. I apologize the couple extra minutes of entertainment are so confusing to you!

Action movies are a pretty narrow scope for an entire podcast!

Well, not really. If you like a movie we talk about, you can listen to the episode and enjoy it. If you've never heard of it, presumably you can listen to us goof off for an hour and maybe check it out later, if you're into that kind of thing. I don't see the problem here.

reibeatall
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
That's not true! They're always taken from the ones that precede them. (i.e. 4b follows after Action Cast 4.)

The idea was they're like 4 minutes long and something short we can put out, since I am whiny and don't feel like taking the time to do it even though Andy is totally cool with doing it really don't have the time to be putting out an entire episode every week. I apologize the couple extra minutes of entertainment are so confusing to you!

Calorie Mate
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
It's partially the editing, and partially finding the time to record every week. Do you remember what happened last time we kept trying to accomodate everyone's schedule? Having it set the same time every two weeks gives everyone lots of elbow room, and miraculously we've been consistent. Why rock the boat?

reibeatall
10-04-2010, 10:41 AM
It's partially the editing, and partially finding the time to record every week. Do you remember what happened last time we kept trying to accomodate everyone's schedule? Having it set the same time every two weeks gives everyone lots of elbow room, and miraculously we've been consistent. Why rock the boat?

Hey brosef, I'm doing the editing now. It took me a total of 2 hours on a day that I already have time set aside for creative stuff.

Calorie Mate
10-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Hey, if you want to handle trying to get people together more often, then knock yourself out, champ.

...this (apparent) public airing of grievances aside, y'all should listen because whenever it does come out it's really fuckin' good!

reibeatall
10-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Also, dude, next time you use all the toilet paper, put a new roll on.

Dizzy
10-04-2010, 10:50 AM
You gentlemen are going to have to mix it up a bit. DrunkCast, or at least visit in one place and video record a DrunkShow where there is a non-stop marathon of 80s action throughout the night, intermittently paused by the participants passing out for a half hour or so before waking up and continuing the ActionCast commentary in drunken stupor. Harrrright, the act-tion movie where be I am here?

You won't get anywhere in this gig if you're not an alcoholic.

reibeatall
10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
You gentlemen are going to have to mix it up a bit. DrunkCast, or at least visit in one place and video record a DrunkShow where there is a non-stop marathon of 80s action throughout the night, intermittently paused by the participants passing out for a half hour or so before waking up and continuing the ActionCast commentary in drunken stupor. Harrrright, the act-tion movie where be I am here?

This man has it right.

Calorie Mate
10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Dude, Shakewell doesn't even drink.

http://images.productwiki.com/upload/images/got_baby_i_m_drinking_for_two_t_shirts-600-600.jpg

Red Hedgehog
10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Know anyone else that might be able to suggest Bollywood movies? Because I sure don't, and I know for a fact he watches them. Nothing racist about it.

There is this one (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dabangg/trailer) which I wish my girlfriend and I had seen instead of The Town.

ShakeWell
10-05-2010, 10:43 PM

So, yeah, Calories pointed out that I don't drink, but that's less of a problem than the fact that the closest other person to me on this cast is, I think, Stephen, and he lives over 400 miles away from me.

Luana
10-06-2010, 12:32 AM

If this is the case, I don't understand why I'm not on a podcast right the fuck now.
(Well, except for the fact that I'm not an alcoholic. Also, I wasn't drinking tonight. But last night, oh yes. And maybe tomorrow night. Definitely Thursday night.)

Mr. Sensible
10-06-2010, 03:08 AM

Oh man, did anyone else listen to the alcohol-fueled trainwreck that was Giant Bombcast at E3 this year? Hooo-lee shit.

Just sayin', maybe teetotaling isn't the worst idea.

reibeatall
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
This week's Action Cast will be up in about 3 hours. Theoretically.

mugenkokoro
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Just wanted to say that I have listened to the American Ninja episode (and only that episode so far) and it was hilarious. I look forward to more with great anticipation.

reibeatall
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Episode 5 is up! Please enjoy and tell us what you think. Suggestions are always welcome.

Alixsar
10-07-2010, 04:45 PM
You should kick everyone off the show but that Alex guy. He's so dreamy!

reibeatall
10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
If anybody has any GOOD suggestions, please.

Alixsar
10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Ah, good suggestions. I see.

Have you ever thought of kicking everyone off the show but that Alex guy? He's so dreamy!

Dizzy
10-07-2010, 05:23 PM
The first immediate problem is that the podcast is way too damn long.

A podcast should be 30 minutes in length, and must be thoroughly entertaining to justify any length beyond that. I think you guys need to be as liberal with editing the cast as much as possible, selecting only the juicest bits to keep and contouring the discussion into discrete units. This episode as a whole is way too laidback and digressive. Maybe that's what you're going for but if you expect to have an audience (with me at least, since I am one of the most important people on this damn planet) you must be more compassionate than this.

I like that you guys actively research what you're talking about though. I had no idea the zero gravity wrestling move JGL pulled off in Inception was called the "Million Dollar Dream." Whoa.

reibeatall
10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
The first immediate problem is that the podcast is way too damn long.

A podcast should be 30 minutes in length

Uhh, I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but there's only one podcast I listen to that's less than an hour long and I always wish it went on longer than that.

I think you guys need to be as liberal with editing the cast as much as possible,
Yes, I need to learn how to edit. I'm sure that after a few more, I will learn.

. This episode as a whole is way too laidback and digressive.

Could you be more specific? Like, I think I know what you're saying, because I may or may not have similar ideas. However, I may be WAY off base.

I like that you guys actively research what you're talking about though. I had no idea the zero gravity wrestling move JGL pulled off in Inception was called the "Million Dollar Dream." Whoa.

Joe just loves wrestling.

Alixsar
10-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Fun Fact: that wasn't researched. They just know that much stuff about wrestling.

Also, yeah as far as I know, the whole thing is supposed to be "Hey it's rambling and ridiculous." At least that's what every episode to date has been.

Dizzy
10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Fun Fact: that wasn't researched. They just know that much stuff about wrestling.

I know. I put that sentence in the wrong place, indicating it was googled. I know about ShakeWell's wrestling background. I also know a lot about his grandparents.

Also, yeah as far as I know, the whole thing is supposed to be "Hey it's rambling and ridiculous." At least that's what every episode to date has been.

I hope they enjoy listening to their own podcast then! Unless they really want to branch out, then they should keep it short and extremely sweet. They should keep it structured and keep as little extraneous stuff--like personal anecdotes, random trivia and repartee between dudes that are not hilarious--as possible. I'm not suggesting this be a funeral-like affair, but let's say you have a 100 jokes, now your job is to cut 94 of them and keep only the best stuff. There should also be musical interludes to indicate a shift in topic. Especially in this episode. Preferably classical musical interludes.

Don't you guys outline this stuff? It should be like:

CLASSICAL MUSICAL INTERLUDE

TOPIC I: Dirty Harry
Discussion A: Why do people hate on this movie because it's old?
Discussion B: Dude, here's what I thought what was so cool about this movie!
etc.

TOPIC II: Death Wish
Discussion A: I love vigilantism.
Discussion B: Charles Bronson is better at killing criminals than Jason Voorhees. Yay or nay?
etc.

FIN

I don't mind the audio splices. You know. You guys should experiment with background noises, like having a whole cast scored to the background noise of noisy freeway or beautiful meadow. You know. Or having intense house music pulsating in the background. Stuff like that.

reibeatall
10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I like structure, but that's too much structure. I'm more interested in seeing where the conversation goes, than restricting it to "THIS AND THIS AND THIS."

Dizzy, did you listen to the American Ninja episode?

Alixsar
10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
So I listened to it and yeah, we could've shaved a lot off the back end of it. At least the American Ninja episode was funny from beginning to end. This one was kinda boring towards the end. WAY TO EDIT REI JERKFACE

Dizzy
10-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Dizzy, did you listen to the American Ninja episode?

No, but I will and if I have anything of monumental importance to say then watch this space.

I don't think you have to have it like THIS AND THIS AND THIS. You just have to make the topics in the podcast smoothly connect to one another through segues. If the conversation goes anywhere interesting, keep the audio, but if it doesn't then slice it.

EDIT:

The American Ninja episode was funny, but had too much fat. Too long, too many digressions. Cut, cut, cut, cut!

Though no episode should end without at least 5 audio splices of the distorted "BABIES! ARRRRGH!" cry. Man is that awesome.

reibeatall
10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
So I listened to it and yeah, we could've shaved a lot off the back end of it. At least the American Ninja episode was funny from beginning to end. This one was kinda boring towards the end. WAY TO EDIT REI JERKFACE

I DOUBT CALORIES WOULD HAVE EDITED ANY OF IT OUT.

TheSL
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I will agree that this newest one was less focused, but I'd rather have a rambly 1 hour+ podcast than a focused 30 minute one. 30 minutes doesn't even get me to work and back.

Calorie Mate
10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I DOUBT CALORIES WOULD HAVE EDITED ANY OF IT OUT.

On the contrary, when I edit the podcast I cut anything I get bored lsitening to, and I make cuts so that it ends up being roughly one hour in length.

As for Dizzy's feedback: I'm glad you're listening to it, but my favorite podcasts are all rambling and go off-topic whenever, and I prefer that style. Plus, it's easier.

On the other hand, most ramble-y podcasts are as long as they want to be and make few cuts, and I feel a tight podcast should shoot for an hour in length. Half hour is way too short for a podcast. This isn't super focused like, say, Stuff You Should Know, so the digressions - to me - are as entertaining as the actual topic. Hell, half the reason I like dumb action movies are because of conversations like this, and all the stupid stuff that comes up when you watch one on the couch with your buddies.

I'm not sure how much of your suggested structure is a joke, but I can see where you're coming from - but more often than not I've heard stiff structure do nothign except stifle what could be a good podcast, and I don't want that. If you're looking for only on-topic discussion and thought-provoking stuff, I guess we aren't the guys to provide it. If you want some good discussion and dumb jokes and wrestling trivia and fun, well, we're shooting for that, at least.

Anyway, I haven't listened to the newest one yet, so I'll see what's what, but in general this is how I feel re: podcasting. (And you guys thought I never gave this much thought!)

widdershins
10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Man, I just listened to the latest, and my favorite part was that when Rei is describing how boring the duffel bag sequence is, he basically described the plot of Die Hard With A Vengence, which is awesome.

ShakeWell
10-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Man, I just listened to the latest, and my favorite part was that when Rei is describing how boring the duffel bag sequence is, he basically described the plot of Die Hard With A Vengence, which is awesome.

Damn. I should have called him on that. But it just proves HOW INCREDIBLY WRONG HE IS ABOUT DIRTY HARRY.

Oh, and I was in Chicago yesterday and had to get a picture in front of this mural:

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/ShakeWell138/Bronson.jpg

reibeatall
10-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Die Hard with a Vengance was way better to watch than Dirty Harry.

Dizzy
10-10-2010, 08:23 PM
You guys are going to cover the Neveldine/Taylor movies, right?

Crank, Crank 2 and Gamer?

Here's one possible podcast: a Tony Scott action movie c/c w/ movies clearly indebted to him.

Man on Fire (and the James Brown short) vs. Running Scared and Smokin' Aces. Yay or nay?

mablem8
10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Just finished the latest episode. I like the cuts from random movies; the Partial Recall episode did it best. There should definitely be more off-the-cuff calls to action stars, too.

Now that I think about it, splicing in bits of audio from the scene or line being discussed could be excellent. Some amount of work, maybe, but awesome none the less.

mugenkokoro
10-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Just watched Dirty Harry after listening to the Actioncast on it last week. I have to say, I agree with Rei for the most part; i was disappointed. A lot of it just hasn't aged that well, and the movie is pretty slow at times (and not in a slow burn kind of way, but in a "was that scene really necessary?" kind of way). I know the "renegade cop who doesn't give a fuck" thing was fresh in 1971, but the message of justice vs bureaucracy felt so blunt and heavy-handed even though I came into the movie with the proper historical context in mind.

Highlights!:

--Lala Schifrin's score. He's one of my favorites because of his Enter the Dragon score, and he was at his funky best, especially with the sniper scenes.

--I'm glad the interracial gay couple didn't get sniped. I'm surprised they even hinted at that in 1971! I guess it IS San Francisco...

--Half the reason I watched the movie was to see Andrew Robinson (DS9's Garek) as the villian, and I was not disappointed. It was great to see him looking young and 70s-ish, and without his Cardassian makeup on.

--Holy shit that magnum is big.

--I was happy to see that the "Do you feel lucky, punk?" scenes lived up to their reputation. It was totally where Terantino got the idea for Jules' "Ezekial 25:17" speech...I mean, Harry doesn't just say the iconic "do you feel lucky, punk?" line, he has a whole preamble about losing track of how many shots he fired, the magnum blowing your head off and so on that he says word-for-word both times. Totally classic.

Overall I liked it, just not as much as I thought I would.

reibeatall
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Ohh yeah, no Action Cast next week. Sorry guys :(

ShakeWell
10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Just watched Dirty Harry after listening to the Actioncast on it last week. I have to say, I agree with Rei for the most part...

Congratulations! You are also wrong!

But it's ok, because you listen to our podcast.

liquid
10-17-2010, 02:13 AM
Since when is Dirty Harry an action movie?

ShakeWell
10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Since when is Dirty Harry an action movie?

Since there are several car chases and shootouts.

Dizzy
10-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Count me perplexed by these "No wait, these action movies really are deep!" type articles from the Daily MUBI: "Goddamn Dracula-Black: No Finer Moment in American Cinema in 2010 (http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/2453), Van Damme and the Action Stars (http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/878). (Ignatiy Vishnevetsky (http://mubi.com/notebook/posts?author_id=45) seems to do a lot of these kinds of articles.)

ShakeWell
10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Count me perplexed by these "No wait, these action movies really are deep!" type articles from the Daily MUBI: "Goddamn Dracula-Black: No Finer Moment in American Cinema in 2010 (http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/2453), Van Damme and the Action Stars (http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/878). (Ignatiy Vishnevetsky (http://mubi.com/notebook/posts?author_id=45) seems to do a lot of these kinds of articles.)

Hm. I've never been to that site. While I disagree with the Van Damme one (though I found it interesting), I will say there's something to be said for Rourke's monologue in The Expendables. What they say is hyperbole, sure, but it was an out of place, legitimately fine piece of performance in an otherwise crazy ass movie.

R.R. Bigman
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm jamming a syringe full of adrenaline into the neck of this thread to tell you guys that the world needs more Action Cast. Don't know what to talk about?

Robocop.

Done.

Calorie Mate
11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
We, uh...already recorded the next one. But Robocop isn't a bad idea for the future!

Ethan
11-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Anthony. Listen to me.

You are not allowed to do a RoboCop episode without me.

If you do, you will be dead before it ever hits the feed. This I promise.

Remember these words.

And also remember that you need to add 15 hours to your time to get my time, which means it's fairly easy (for the time being, while I have no job) for me to be on any show you do in the NorCal evening hours.

Dizzy
11-13-2010, 08:51 AM
RoboCop?

More like RoboFlop!

Calorie Mate
11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Dizzy can shut his damn mouth.

Ethan - I won't leave a bro hanging.

reibeatall
11-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Ethan - I won't leave a bro hanging.

It's funny because in the e-mail exchange between all of us I remember you saying "fuck Ethan" whereas everybody else is like "no way bro we've gotta wait for him."

Calorie Mate
11-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I meant the other use of the word "fuck".

Ethan
11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
I moved a job interview for this.

TheSL
11-18-2010, 07:40 AM
You guys, I'm having Action Cast withdrawals over here. Its been ages since you did another show.

Calorie Mate
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Well, everyone else was lame and took forever to do one while I was gone, and I felt left out, so I decided to be lame and take forever to edit the last one. Hopefully it'll go up this weekend!

I moved a job interview for this.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

Ethan
11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
DICK...

YOU'RE FIIIIIRED!

Calorie Mate
11-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Hey so the Action Cast is finally back. (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/) Hope you like Bloodsport!

Stephen
11-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everybody! (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/category/podcasts/)

reibeatall
11-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Ohh man, I'm glad that got its own cut.

Calorie Mate
12-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Action Cast 7 is up! Download it! Do it now!

I'm jamming a syringe full of adrenaline into the neck of this thread to tell you guys that the world needs more Action Cast. Don't know what to talk about?

Robocop.

Done.

Never let it be said that The Action Cast doesn't listen to its fans. ;)

Ethan
12-15-2010, 01:36 AM
The voices sometimes get downpitched to Barry White level for a few seconds. I've heard it on my voice and rei's voice so far.

Oh, oh, ohhhhhh... instead of No Holds Barred or The Wrestler or The Condemned, let's have the pro wrestling talk after discussing They Live! That's a wrestling-affiliated action movie that's several heads above the rest.

Calorie Mate
12-15-2010, 11:56 AM
The voices sometimes get downpitched to Barry White level for a few seconds. I've heard it on my voice and rei's voice so far.

Yeah, you won't notice because I cut it, but each of those is preceded by a loud Skype noise. I think the connection got a little wonky a few times. Nothing I could do about it, really. But hey, you guys sounded cool!

Oh, oh, ohhhhhh... instead of No Holds Barred or The Wrestler or The Condemned, let's have the pro wrestling talk after discussing They Live! That's a wrestling-affiliated action movie that's several heads above the rest.

Of course we'll do They Live (some day). That movie is rad. I was (gasp!) intentionally throwing out awful movies instead.

Karzac
12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
This is my first Action Cast, but even though I've only listened to the first half hour so far, I've already been laughing my head off. Great job guys.

Can you do Taken or Die Hard next?

Calorie Mate
12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Die Hard next?

Why don't you, uh, finish that episode and try to match the quote at the end? :)

Karzac
12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Why don't you, uh, finish that episode and try to match the quote at the end? :)

Okey Doke!

widdershins
12-15-2010, 01:09 PM
That's a wrestling-affiliated action movie that's several heads above the rest.

You mean you wouldn't want to watch Suburban Commando? How many chances do you get to hear Mean Mark Callous get overdubbed by a little girl?

If'n you ever need an extra headset to wax intellectual about wrasslin' I'd sure as hell be game, I tell you what.

reibeatall
12-15-2010, 01:59 PM
This is my first Action Cast, but even though I've only listened to the first half hour so far, I've already been laughing my head off. Great job guys.

Ohh man. Thank you so much. Like, this is the one thing that I want to happen.

ShakeWell
12-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Action Cast 7 is up! Download it! Do it now!

Way to not actually put a link in there, dickcheese. If you didn't know, you can get the Robocop episode RIGHT HERE (http://www.onthestick.com/media/action_cast_7.mp3).

Thanks for the kind words! If I may make a suggestion, if you wanna really laugh your head off, check out the American Ninja episode.

TheSL
12-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words! If I may make a suggestion, if you wanna really laugh your head off, check out the American Ninja episode.

Once he does that he possess great skill. [cue music]

widdershins
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Way to not actually put a link in there, dickcheese. If you didn't know, you can get the Robocop episode [URL="http://www.onthestick.com/media/action_cast_7.mp3"].

Oh shits, it's robocop? I'll buy that for a dollar!*

*by which I mean I will download this as soon as I get home.

Karzac
12-16-2010, 11:01 AM

I would, but it doesn't seem to be on iTunes.

reibeatall
12-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Hmm, good point. May I suggest just subscribing directly to the rss feed?

Right here. (http://feeds.feedburner.com/theactioncast)

TheSL
12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
It was on there at some point, because that's how I got it.

mablem8
12-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Calorie Mate
12-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Yeah, me too, and I'm the guy uploading them. Hmm. I'll look into this when I get home.

Calorie Mate
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok, yeah, anyone - Stephen, Ethan - with podcasting experience know what's up? iTunes isn't showing a few of the older episodes, and I can't figure out why.

Ethan
12-17-2010, 03:44 AM
It's happened to my feed a couple times as well old episodes disappearing from the listing out of the blue. I'm guessing it will right itself next time iTunes "crawls" your feed.

Stephen
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
They don't appear in the RSS feed either and for some reason there are no pages for individual articles either. I kinda need to get back to work, but I'll mess with it when I get home.

R.R. Bigman
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
That was a great episode. They're always great. I would listen to an episode dedicated to late 80's/early 90's wrestling storylines.

I can't get Cop Killer out of my head now.

Calorie Mate
12-17-2010, 01:39 PM
I can't get Cop Killer out of my head now.

DAMN IT my goal was to get the Robo Cop theme stuck in everyone's head since Joe is retarded and said it was forgettable or whatever. That's why it's in there so many times!

...but thanks for the kind words! ;)

R.R. Bigman
12-17-2010, 01:52 PM
They'ye both rad. The Robocop theme is fighting Cop Killer in a gangland shootout for control of my head.

widdershins
12-17-2010, 07:17 PM
DAMN IT my goal was to get the Robo Cop theme stuck in everyone's head since Joe is retarded and said it was forgettable or whatever. That's why it's in there so many times!

It worked on me, for what it's worth. I love that your podcast editing trademark is splicing in hilarious shit 100 times.

I just gave this a listen, and then realized I'd missed the bloodsport one, so ate that one up too. You guys had me in stitches as always. It got me in the mood to watch both movies, but alas neither is on instant queue, so I decided to compromise and sate my JCVD fix with Street Fighter. I really can't think of anything wrong with today.

Calorie Mate
12-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Again, it really warms my heart to hear that. I know what I think is funny, but I'm always surprised anyone not on the 'cast finds it funny, too.

widdershins
12-19-2010, 03:51 PM
GAME, set, BABIES.

Calorie Mate
12-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Ok, IN THEORY it should all be fixed now. I can't check my iTunes until I get home, but I believe our feed is now displaying everything, which was (apparently) the problem.

EDIT: Ok, something's wonky here. Fuck.

R.R. Bigman
12-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I think this (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/20/double-fines-first-action-cast-reveals-early-2011-release-f/) may have something to do with the iTunes wonkery. There can be only one!

Balrog
12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
AHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA A

Alixsar
12-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Whatever I never even liked that guy

Karzac
12-20-2010, 08:34 PM
That seals it: there must be a duel of the Action Casts!

sraymonds
12-20-2010, 08:47 PM
JustTalkingMeat:

"It's awesome that you guys have a podcast, but you totally pinched the name of the action movie podcast I do with some friends (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/). The question is, do we go the route of peaceful coexistence or try to drum up a rivalry?"

You have my sword.

Balrog
12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
AND MY AXE.

ShakeWell
12-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Keep yourselves pinned to the feed, we've got words for Tim Schafer and the Double Fine crew.

Dizzy
12-20-2010, 11:18 PM
So Total Recall is better than RoboCop but only slightly? Very very slightly?

Is it like 3 cm better than RoboCop or 5 degrees Celsius better...? :p

Stephen
12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
So Total Recall is better than RoboCop but only slightly? Very very slightly?

Is it like 3 cm better than RoboCop or 5 degrees Celsius better...? :p

Starting with the next episode, we're going to institute a 100 point scale rating system say things like "Die Hard is boiling hot--100 out of 100!" or "XXX left me cold--34 out of 100."

Karzac
12-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Starting with the next episode, we're going to institute a 100 point scale rating system say things like "Die Hard is boiling hot--100 out of 100!" or "XXX left me cold--34 out of 100."

Except if you know Celsius, 34 is still a pretty hot day.

Calorie Mate
12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Ok, now I'm fairly certain I'ved fixed the problem. All old episodes should show up in iTunes again.

As for Dizzy, I'll run with your centimeter idea:

Starting with the next episode, we're going to institute a boner point scale rating system say things like "Die Hard is like a fine woman--gave me a solid 15 inches!" or "XXX left me flaccid--I barely had 3 centimeters for that sucker."

Stephen
12-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Keep yourselves pinned to the feed, we've got words for Tim Schafer and the Double Fine crew.

Yeah and these are those words! (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/20/action-cast-throws-down)

It's a lot of words and they don't make much sense, but by god it felt good.

TheSL
12-22-2010, 06:41 AM
I couldn't really discern whether you guys are upset over this turn of events or just really gay for Tim Schafer.

widdershins
12-22-2010, 07:54 AM
I couldn't really discern whether you guys are upset over this turn of events or just really gay for Tim Schafer.

Can't it be both?

ShakeWell
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM

A little from column A and a little from column B.

reibeatall
12-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I have thrown down on the official DF forums. We shall see where this goes.

Balrog
12-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I have thrown down on the official DF forums. We shall see where this goes.

Links plz?

reibeatall
12-23-2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/3960/P15/#132628

Balrog
12-23-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/3960/P15/#132628

Dude, you should have put more emphasis on the wrestling challenge.

Calorie Mate
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM
In other, non-rivalry news, we put up a 'cast for you guys to listen to as you travel over the holidays. (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/18/action-cast-8-the-hard) (It may or may not be about Die Hard.)

Adrenaline
12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
When are you guys gonna have me on to talk about how action movies are totally lame

Calorie Mate
12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
With that attitude? Never.

widdershins
12-23-2010, 08:36 PM
In other, non-rivalry news, we put up a 'cast for you guys to listen to as you travel over the holidays. (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/18/action-cast-8-the-hard) (It may or may not be about Die Hard.)

You guys give the BEST presents. Incidentally, my mother's cat is hiding from me in the ceiling tiles. RELEVANT!

ShakeWell
01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
We've got a little something in honor of Wesley Snipes going to jail coming up this week. I'm on editing duty for both onthestick.com podcasts, though, so I can't guarantee when, but I can guarantee it's going to be awesome.

Calorie Mate
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Did you guys manage to fulfill my request, since I was absent?

Alixsar
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes, but we kinda forgot and only did it at the end.

Also, there's only three of us because 1) Rei is terrible and 2) Calories is also terrible

widdershins
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I went back to listen to the Expendables episode, now that I've seen it.

You know who I would want the bad guy to be in a sequel? Rutger Hauer. Bonus points if you throw Harrison Ford into the mix.

reibeatall
01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Guys, I don't even care if anybody else listens to this. I enjoy listening to it even after recording it. We're awesome.

Calorie Mate
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
While I agree with you in spirit, I honestly think we're so awesome that other people should listen to us. We really need to find a way to get the population at large listening.

mablem8
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Gor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095241/) (beginning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkiJ5N4K1Y), middle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHN1BjSq6g), end (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30JEqe56tXs))

reibeatall
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
So I saw that on Cracked yesterday, and I agree 100% with you.

Karzac
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I have a friend who is taking a University course on action movies this semester. I will try to keep you all updated on this most awesome of things.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Dude, get his to listen to us.

Also, the rest of his class.

Karzac
01-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Dude, get his to listen to us.

Also, the rest of his class.

It's a she actually.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
We need more female listeners! I think we only have, like, two!

...and tell the rest of her class, too!

liquid
01-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Help me, Action Dudes! I know Escape from New York is awesome, but is Escape from L.A. also awesome? This is vitally important information!

Calorie Mate
01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Alixsar likes it better than New York, but no one else in the world agrees with him. It is pretty over-the-top ridiculous, though, but you have to be in the right mood or it's just bad. So...maybe?

Calorie Mate
01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Also, a new episode is up! (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/21/action-cast-9-always-bet-on-black) I wasn't on it and I didn't edit it, so I can't speak to its quality, but I have been assured it's a wonderful episode. Enjoy!

ShakeWell
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Also, a new episode is up! (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/21/action-cast-9-always-bet-on-black) I wasn't on it and I didn't edit it, so I can't speak to its quality, but I have been assured it's a wonderful episode. Enjoy!

I was and I did and it's the best thing we've done since American Ninja.

Alixsar
01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Alixsar likes it better than New York, but no one else in the world agrees with him. It is pretty over-the-top ridiculous, though, but you have to be in the right mood or it's just bad. So...maybe?

Not true. My girlfriend and my friend Paul agree with me.

Look, its simple guys. NY is trying to be a legitimate movie. And it is, and it's good.

In LA, Snake goes hang gliding with machine guns with a tranny, after surfing and jumping on Steve Buscemi's car. It's ridiculous and insane, and ridiculous and insane action movies are always preferable to ones that play it straight.

It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of Joe is an idiot for disagreeing with me. Anthony too, I guess.

Also, Passenger 57 was ridiculous. Guess how I felt about it.

ShakeWell
01-09-2011, 01:11 AM
It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of Joe is an idiot for disagreeing with me. Anthony too, I guess.

Your view on the whole Russell/Carpenter milieu is fucked.

Also, Passenger 57 was ridiculous. Guess how I felt about it.

No, don't guess! Listen to the new episode and find out for sure how Alex feels about it!

Calorie Mate
01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
This episode was super interesting to me, because I got to do the "watch the movie, then immediately download the Action Cast about it as a follow up" thing, and guys...it's awesome. I feel so good about this podcast. I really hope you other folks either a) watch the movie before listening, or b) keep it on the back burner so that whenever you do watch one of these, you have nice supplementary material.

Anyway, this episode is a lot like the American Ninja one, and it's hilarious. A+++, would listen again.

ShakeWell
01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
This episode was super interesting to me, because I got to do the "watch the movie, then immediately download the Action Cast about it as a follow up" thing, and guys...it's awesome. I feel so good about this podcast. I really hope you other folks either a) watch the movie before listening, or b) keep it on the back burner so that whenever you do watch one of these, you have nice supplementary material.

Anyway, this episode is a lot like the American Ninja one, and it's hilarious. A+++, would listen again.

I knew you'd love it. I even threw in a "BABIES!" just for you.

Calorie Mate
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
My only complaint was that you guys missed talking about Blue Shirt Guy at the start of the movie, but otherwise it was wonderful. Especially the rhyming.

Dizzy
01-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't think I will ever willingly watch Passenger 57 as it looks like one of the many Die Hard clones that spawned upon the release of the original Die Hard and a lame audition for Wesley Snipes, who should legally change his name to Simon Blade Phoenix.

ShakeWell
01-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think I will ever willingly watch Passenger 57 as it looks like one of the many Die Hard clones that spawned upon the release of the original Die Hard and a lame audition for Wesley Snipes, who should legally change his name to Simon Blade Phoenix.

It's pretty bad, but entertainingly so. Still, listening to the podcast should tell you enough about it, especially considering that the podcast is longer than the movie.

Calorie Mate
01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
It IS kind of a poor man's Die Hard, it's true. I don't know what the hell they were talking about on the podcast though, it's on Netflix Instant, so it's easy enough to watch. It's also only an hour and twenty minutes, so it doesn't overstay its welcome or anything.

Dizzy
01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
...okay, I may watch this now given what is said in the podcast.

Alixsar
01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
It IS kind of a poor man's Die Hard, it's true. I don't know what the hell they were talking about on the podcast though, it's on Netflix Instant, so it's easy enough to watch. It's also only an hour and twenty minutes, so it doesn't overstay its welcome or anything.

Dude what no it isn't I tried watching it on Instant and it wasn't there.

Your view on the whole Russell/Carpenter milieu is fucked.

Your face is fucked. By guys.

But you can find out more about this on the NEXT Action Cast!

reibeatall
01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I just saw it on there. Like ten minutes before when I decided to watch a different The Snipe movie.

Alixsar
01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
I just saw it on there. Like ten minutes before when I decided to watch a different The Snipe movie.

1) Why would you ever do that?

2) Dude what the hell did they just add it or something? Are you guys using your 360? Does that even make a difference?

reibeatall
01-09-2011, 02:19 PM
1) I'm doing it because right now it's time for The Contractor and I'll watch Passenger 57 later.
2) I just checked it on my 360; it's under action movies. And no, it doesn't make a difference.

Alixsar
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
1) As usual, you're a bad person.
2) Well, what the hell? When I checked it on my PC it wasn't there on Instant. Hmm.

reibeatall
01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
1) I'm used to it.

2) http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Passenger_57/844479?trkid=2361637#height1451

Calorie Mate
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
It was on both my PC and PS3 when I watched it yesterday. Maybe you're just retarded? At least you talk a good podcast, I guess.

Matchstick
01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
It was on both my PC and PS3 when I watched it yesterday. Maybe you're just retarded? At least you talk a good podcast, I guess.

He's not wrong. It wasn't available when I checked last week, either. They change what is available all the time.

Balrog
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Hey, Tom Sizemore was in Heat as well and he was pretty cool in it. What's up with all the Sizemore hate? He's a cool guy.

Dizzy
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Passenger 57 is indeed as laughably stupid as you guys said it was. The most unacceptable leap of logic in the story, as was pointed out, was that the FBI brought an internationally notorious terrorist on to a commercial airliner. And they don't even sedate him and lock him up in a cage with all the airline luggage. They seat him with all the passengers and guard him with too goofball FBI agents.

I disagree with Alixsar or whoever that Elizabeth Hurley was hot in this movie. She is undeniably hot, but not here. Not with those untweezed eyebrows.

Anyways, I had to atone for the cinematic sin of watching something this inept, so I settled for some pretentious European twaddle and watched The Five Obstructions. It was pretty bad. Everything sucks today!

Stephen
01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I disagree with Alixsar or whoever that Elizabeth Hurley was hot in this movie. She is undeniably hot, but not here. Not with those untweezed eyebrows.

I probably said it, but I grew up with a huge crush on Jennifer Connelly, so the eyebrow thing clearly isn't an issue.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1191/90421605.png

R.R. Bigman
01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Tim Schafer was talking about the Action Cast in the latest episode of Games, Dammit.

ShakeWell
01-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Tim Schafer was talking about the Action Cast in the latest episode of Games, Dammit.

Ours or his or both?

R.R. Bigman
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Ours or his or both?

Both. He was talking a little bit of smack about you guys, in front of Parish no less.

reibeatall
01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Wait. WHAT. OHH MY GOD.

Calorie Mate
01-09-2011, 11:05 PM
What time during the podcast did he say this, so I can jump to it and listen?

ShakeWell
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM

R.R. Bigman
01-09-2011, 11:23 PM

One hour, three minutes in. It's during the written questions segment.

ShakeWell
01-09-2011, 11:29 PM
One hour, three minutes in. It's during the written questions segment.

I love that we're referenced as "this guy," when all the different avenues he mentions were posted by a different one of us.

Morbid Coffee
01-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Just listened to it. Maybe it's just me, but it felt like they didn't even want to read the question.

Who sent it in anyway?

reibeatall
01-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Ohh man, I'm so upset by everybody involved in that podcast.

widdershins
01-10-2011, 12:14 AM
It sounds like Scooter set you up as crazy internet peepz from the get go. Snap.

liquid
01-10-2011, 12:24 AM
It just so happens that I watched The Expendables two nights ago, and am listening to Part Deux: Fuck Harder right fuckin' now.

liquid
01-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Nice Nickelback/shaky cam comparison.

Dizzy
01-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Either you guys have a hyperactive fan out there somewhere or someone tried to spam Games, Dammit. What was up with that cast though? The sound was not that great.

Now, Hurley might have not been hot in that movie but you know who was hot? Bruce Payne. Really. That guy is so classically handsome and seductive he could have spent his entire career playing Roman emperors, vampire aristocrats and Byronic heroes. If he were 26 or so years younger today, he could outright steal Robert Pattinson fans.

As far as blonde British European baddies go, he had nothing on this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmg9uywYFtM) unfortunately.

Karzac
01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Either you guys have a hyperactive fan out there somewhere or someone tried to spam Games, Dammit. What was up with that cast though? The sound was not that great.

According to Scooter's twitter, the sound issues are due to them having a new recording studio.

Balrog
01-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks, guys. I had to go pick up the Eraser / The Last Boy Scout / Passenger 57 / Point of No Return 4 pack from Amazon. You guys should open a shop or something.

reibeatall
01-11-2011, 12:31 AM
I just told Eric to set up that Amazon thing where he gets money when people buy from the links.

TheSL
01-11-2011, 07:09 AM
So I watched Passenger 57 on Netflix instant last night. Its really the definition of middle of the road action movie.

I really need to start watching these before listening to the Podcast, though, because I felt like Chevy Chase's character on that episode of Community where they watched Kickpuncher. In other words, I was making the jokes to my wife before what happened on screen even had time to sink in.

widdershins
01-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I really need to start watching these before listening to the Podcast,

I'm undecided on this. On the one hand, it'd be nice to go into a movie sans-spoilers, but on the other, I know what hilarious shit to look out for. Also, in this case at least, it's Passenger 57, so I'm not too concerned that I had it ruined for me.

Y'all have the bases covered pretty well, but my own notes were as follows:

Why yes, that did sound like the goddamn Seinfeld theme
The Arsenio thing was totally the flight attendant antagonizing the Snipe -- she told the old lady she'd sit her next to Arsenio to fuck with him.
The best part about "always bet on black" was that the fucking music soard end the camera zoomed in, as if to say "this is going to be some tight shit right here." I couldn't stop laughing.
Charles Payne is indeed wonderfully over the top, but I have to give him credit for keeping a solid emotionless face on him while the Snipe is trying to fuck him up.
If you look at the netflix blurb, it doesn't talk about Cutter or Raine at all, it just refers to Sinpes and Payne. Check out this award winning copy:
Retired antiterrorism expert Wesley Snipes books passage on a flight to a new job. Unfortunately, the plane also carries hijacker Charles Payne. Snipes must wrest control of the plane from Payne, save the passengers and serve the cocktails (not really). Keep your eyes peeled for Elizabeth Hurley as one badass babe!
I now imagine that this is ACTUALLY a movie about Wesley Snipes beating people up on a plane. That alone tacks a good 10cm onto the bonometer.

Stephen
01-16-2011, 01:08 PM
The best part about "always bet on black" was that the fucking music soard end the camera zoomed in, as if to say "this is going to be some tight shit right here." I couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah, that's the actual climax of the movie. Passenger 57 only exists so The Snipe can utter that phrase. My favorite thing about it? It makes no sense in the context of the movie. It would have made a lot more sense if Cutter had a gambling problem and his wife was killed in a shoot-out with his bookie's goons or something.

Dizzy
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I still can't get over this exchange:

Doctor: I have to give you something for the pain.
Rane: There will be no pain.

Right up there with:

Poncho: You're bleeding, man. You're hit.
Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.

Dalton: Pain don't hurt.

widdershins
01-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Something else about this fucking movie just occurred to me.

When Sly drops off The Snipe at the airport, he keeps talking about this goddamn surprise he has for him. And that was the thing, remember, when he sees the terrorists on the plane he's all like "this is some fucking surprise, Sly!", as if his friend decided to throw a bunch of cold ass murderers at him for kicks or something.

And then... nothing.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FUCKING SURPRISE WAS.

Maybe that was their hook for Passenger 58: This Time, There's Snakes. You may remember that Sam Jackson was recast in the role.

TheSL
01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but listening to last week's 8-4 Podcast when talking about the 3DS colors they said "Always bet on black."

Moirae
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Right up there with:

Poncho: You're bleeding, man. You're hit.
Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.

This is my favorite quote in any movie ever.

widdershins
01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
This is my favorite quote in any movie ever.

I mean, what other movie has TWO governors in it?!

Alixsar
01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FUCKING SURPRISE WAS.

The flight attendant that bitched him out was going to be on the flight. It's a surprise because, even though The Snipe didn't like her, Sly thought he was doing him a favor because he thought they'd hit it off. ...which they eventually did, so I guess it was...a good idea? Even though, if the terrorist attack never happened, they probably just would've been mad at each other the whole time and it would've been an awful idea.

I don't know, that's the best thing I can come up with. That's what I innately assumed and I have a sixth sense when it comes to bad movies/screenwriting, so I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Calorie Mate
01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Episode 9b is up. (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/22/action-cast-9b-bitches-run-wild-on-you) It's just a little something to help pass the time.

I would like to apologize in advance for what you're about to hear.

(widdershins: I knew there'd been a conversation like this! Turns out we recorded it.)

widdershins
01-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Spy Hard would totally be cheating.

Man, I may just watch Suburban Commando anyway. Like, right now. I have the sudden urge to watch the undertaker mean Mark Calloway speak with a kid's voice.

Ethan
01-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Episode 9b is up. (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/22/action-cast-9b-bitches-run-wild-on-you) It's just a little something to help pass the time.

You beautiful bastard.

Alixsar
01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Oh my GODDDDD

Calorie Mate
01-29-2011, 08:46 AM
And to keep the momentum going: Episode 10 is up! (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/23/action-cast-10-sock-full-of-doorknobs)

To make up for the smaller three person podcast last time, we've got Kurt and Bryce (er, Matchstick and Evil Dead Junkie, respectively) to help out, because they are rad.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
What I take from this Action Cast is that Joe is inordinately excited by the bumpers.

And also that Big Trouble In Little China is Awesome.

And also Fuck Rei have you seen The Thing YET? I wish the full extent of the outrage had been kept...

And Also Dude My Prince Of Darkness Monologue Got Cut? That was Gold!!! Though it is funny how it now makes Alixsar sound like he's unjustified, because he snaps at me just for mentioning the movie instead of after I had rambled about it for five minutes.

And also I'm apparently the head of The Dennis Dun Fan Club.

reibeatall
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
And also Fuck Rei have you seen The Thing YET? I wish the full extent of the outrage had been kept...

Uhhhh

Also, I just finished the podcast, and I get the feeling that the outrage will be a B-side, because you guys were yelling at me for like five minutes.

Calorie Mate
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
And Also Dude My Prince Of Darkness Monologue Got Cut? That was Gold!!! Though it is funny how it now makes Alixsar sound like he's unjustified, because he snaps at me just for mentioning the movie instead of after I had rambled about it for five minutes.

This was in exchange for keeping the They Live and The Thing monologues intact. Besides, that one was REALLY off the rails, and I needed to reign it in somewhere. Sorry. :(

Also, I just finished the podcast, and I get the feeling that the outrage will be a B-side, because you guys were yelling at me for like five minutes.

This is definitely up for consideration.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
This was in exchange for keeping the They Live and The Thing monologues intact. Besides, that one was REALLY off the rails, and I needed to reign it in somewhere. Sorry. :(

Don't be dude it's your podcast I'm just happy to be on it.

Also I'm totally down for any edit that makes Alixsar look unbalanced and wrong ; )

Balrog
01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
The best part about Passenger 57 is that everything from the flashback on isn't real. For that hour and fifteen minutes it's pure 90s black guy nightmare.

The recap:
Redneck cops? CHECK
Redneck fair? CHECK
Old white people? CHECK
Crazy white dudes? CHECK
Uppity eurotrash white chicks? CHECK

Ethan
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Though it's definitely the worst and least enjoyable Russell/Carpenter collaboration, Escape From L.A. is still pretty awesome for what it is. I dubbed my own copy of it as a kid, so I've seen it about a zillion times, and I used to own the score on CD because I thought the (horribly dated) new version of the theme music was awesome. Everyone loves the Bruce Campbell cameo, but know who's way cooler than Bruce Campbell? Stacy Keach.

The best of the pile is The Thing. The creature stuff in that movie is amazing for sure, but beyond that, it's a masterpiece of mood. Its final moments are so chilling and so perfect. And that one moment, where they encircle the unfinished duplicate of Bennings and he lets out that otherworldly scream, is incredible. That movie would probably be on my all-time top 10 list if I made one. To me it's the only movie in the entire creature horror genre that can challenge Alien. (Alien wins because Ian Holm as Ash is my favorite performance ever by anyone.)

TheSL
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I guess I'm first in line for the sock full of doorknobs? Not only have I not seen this movie, I've never seen a John Carpenter movie.

Calorie Mate
02-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Not even one!? Good lord man! I don't think a regular ol' sock will be good enough for you. We're going to beat you to death with long johnsfull of doorknobs.

Ethan - yes. (I also agree with you about Alien, but it's a damn close race. Both of those would probably be in my All Time Top 10 if I made one, too.)

Alixsar
02-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Everyone loves the Bruce Campbell cameo, but know who's way cooler than Bruce Campbell? Stacy Keach.

Honestly, I don't really like that part of the movie. I mean, it's okay, but it's by no means my favorite. Stacy Keach is pretty awesome though. The whole Keach/Cliff Robertson/Ensign Ro Admiral Cain Michelle Forbes trio is pretty great.

If nothing else, the Escape movies are the closest we'll ever get to a real Metal Gear movie.

Karzac
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Just listened to the Passenger 57 and Big Trouble episodes. You know, I think I might enjoy this more when I haven't seen the movies. Especially in the case of a shitty one like Passenger 57.

And I don't think I've seena John Carpenter movie either.

Adrenaline
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I haven't really liked the Carpenter movies I've seen. They're watchable, but I'm not a fan of Big Trouble or Escape from NY.

Ethan
02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
You are the Duke of New York, you are A-number one.

Stephen
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I haven't listened to the episode yet, but was Halloween brought up at all? I totally blanked on it when we were talking about our favorite Carpenter movies, but it's right up there with The Thing and Big Trouble.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I agree, but I think we mostly talked about his action stuff. The Thing's has craziness on its side.

Otherwise I totally would have geeked out about The Fog.

Matchstick
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't listened to the episode yet, but was Halloween brought up at all? I totally blanked on it when we were talking about our favorite Carpenter movies, but it's right up there with The Thing and Big Trouble.

The discussion was designated as only covering the Russell/Carpenter collaborations. Otherwise, I would have said Halloween was my favorite.

Ethan
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I've never seen Halloween.

And I have no interest in ever seeing it.

Halloween 3 is amazing, though.

Matchstick
02-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I've never seen Halloween.

And I have no interest in ever seeing it.

Halloween 3 is amazing, though.

Now you're just being reflexively contrarian...and dumb.

Karzac
02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I haven't seen Halloween, but I have seen most of Black Christmas, which Halloween was orginally conceived to be the sequel to. And Black Christmas is pretty good.

Ethan
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Now you're just being reflexively contrarian...and dumb.

It's nothing against Halloween in particular. I just generally have no interest in slasher movies. Halloween 3 is not a slasher movie.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
It's nothing against Halloween in particular. I just generally have no interest in slasher movies. Halloween 3 is not a slasher movie.

You're right it's a hate crime towards those who like film.

Dizzy
02-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Squid Brand doesn't have to feel shame. Halloween is a snoozefest. The blood does not flow like wine in that movie.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Since when is that a prerequisite for good horror?

Dizzy
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Since this past year when I decided to watch spooky movies only if they contained buckets of blood in them...?

Evil Dead Junkie
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Good call...

Ethan
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Whoa, The Mechanic was directed by Michael Winner?

Michael Winner of Death Wish?

Michael Winner of Death Wish 3!?

Anyway, there are two (2) movies that you guys have almost definitely never seen before, and that you are guaranteed to love, and that you must cover on the Action Cast, and that you're not allowed to cover without me. I've probably linked Anthony to both of these at some point, but I may as well post them here. They're both vigilante movies.

STREET LAW. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTaEIKGi9g) Also known as Il Cittadino Si Ribella. Italian mustache vigilante movie from 1974, and by far the best of the handful I've seen from this genre. Mild-mannered engineer Carlo Antelloni watches the scum of the streets run free from the justice system one time too many, and decides he's HAD ENOUGH and must take the law into his own hands. When the police are powerless, it's time for STREET LAW.

THE EXTERMINATOR. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjcW7PAyObw) American vigilante movie from 1980, and one of the most appallingly right-wing of the bunch. Mild-mannered Vietnam veteran John Eastland witnesses the crippling of his best friend at the hands of the scum of the streets, and decides he's HAD ENOUGH and must take the law into his own hands. With his deadly training and thirst for vengeance, he is now THE EXTERMINATOR.

Dizzy
02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Mmmm. Right-wing action movies. Are there any better?

Ethan
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I tried to post the clip from Cobra where a sniveling pinko liberal tells Stallone that criminals deserve the right to a fair trial, so Stallone grabs the guy by the back of the neck, forcibly puts him face-to-face with this dead kid the bad guys just shot, and says, "WHY DON'T YOU TELL THAT TO THIS KID'S PARENTS, HUH!?" But I couldn't find it on YouTube.

Calorie Mate
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I haven't seen Halloween, but I have seen most of Black Christmas, which Halloween was orginally conceived to be the sequel to. And Black Christmas is pretty good.

Black Christmas was...ok, I suppose.

You won't love it, but Halloween is certainly a few notches higher than what you think of when you say "slasher movie". It's just a legitimately good movie, and anyone that likes film should see it.

widdershins
02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
My record of having to watch movies after you guys talk about them remains untarnished (though I managed to resist American Ninja -- you guys gave me all the entertainment I'm likely to glean from that film).

Today I had me a Carpenter marathon -- Big Trouble, The Thing, and They Live. The Thing is the only one I'd previously seen, and They Live was probably the WRONG movie to cap off an otherwise great block. Aside from the sequence where Hot Rod figures out what the glasses are for, and the gratuitously long fight scene, there was precious little to really like about it. It was just kind of a sub-par 80's anti-corporate movie, except with space monsters.

I did go re-watch the grocery store sequence when I was done, though. That shit was pure gold.

Matchstick
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
THE EXTERMINATOR. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjcW7PAyObw) American vigilante movie from 1980, and one of the most appallingly right-wing of the bunch. Mild-mannered Vietnam veteran John Eastland witnesses the crippling of his best friend at the hands of the scum of the streets, and decides he's HAD ENOUGH and must take the law into his own hands. With his deadly training and thirst for vengeance, he is now THE EXTERMINATOR.

I've seen The Exterminator, quite possibly in the theater.

Ethan
02-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Rad. Although... in the theater, eh? You're either much older than I thought you were, or you've got some really lenient parents. Or it was rereleased at some point.

Stephen
02-04-2011, 09:42 AM
He's the same age as David Lo Pan. If you meet any Vietnamese girls with green eyes, he'd appreciate a heads up.

Calorie Mate
02-04-2011, 01:22 PM
The exciting conclusion to our last episode can be found in episode 10b (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/24/action-cast-10b-this-was-recorded-2-weeks-ago-and-he-still-hasn-t-seen-it).

Please note the title of the episode.

reibeatall
02-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I've been busy!

liquid
02-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Busy watching crappier movies?

Stephen
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
The exciting conclusion to our last episode can be found in episode 10b (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/24/action-cast-10b-this-was-recorded-2-weeks-ago-and-he-still-hasn-t-seen-it).

Please note the title of the episode.

There's a weird place where a joke stops being funny and starts to be piling on. That occurs at exactly the 3:06 mark in this short.

The Bitches Leave remix was brilliant though and the Big Trouble... show kinda makes me want to skip out more often. Recording is fun, but I need a new movie 'cast to listen to since CHUD doesn't really record anymore. It did drive me crazy that no one praised the awesome 80's-meets-Asia aesthetic. Thunder god in a leisure suit is cool. Lo Pan dropping in common US slang was rad. Giant, neon green skull inside an Asian temple was mindbogglingly awesome.

Calorie Mate
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
There's a weird place where a joke stops being funny and starts to be piling on. That occurs at exactly the 3:06 mark in this short.

I would agree if Andy didn't embrace his shitty movie watching persona. As it stands, I think (hope!) it comes across as playful joshin'.

Matchstick
02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Rad. Although... in the theater, eh? You're either much older than I thought you were, or you've got some really lenient parents. Or it was rereleased at some point.

The first R rated movie I saw was The Shining, which came out the same year, so it's possible that I did, but seems unlikely now that I think more about it. I suspect I saw it on video a couple of years later.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-04-2011, 11:02 PM
In all fairness that man did make some delicious muffins.

Calorie Mate
02-05-2011, 12:29 PM
In all fairness that man did make some delicious muffins.

That was easily the best part of that whole thing.

widdershins
02-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Ending the podcast on everyone's righteous indignation was absolutely perfect, and the bonus razzing of Andy was a fun little extra.

While I feel for Andy, and his constantly being the butt of everyone's jokes, he has chosen to watch SyFy creature features when he could have been watching The Thing since then, which garners him very little sympathy from camp Widds.

Still love ya though, buddy.

liquid
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Guys, I'd like to suggest Robot Jox for a future episode (possibly with Crash & Burn and Robot Wars).

ShakeWell
02-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Guys, I'd like to suggest Robot Jox for a future episode (possibly with Crash & Burn and Robot Wars).

I'm with Liquid. I haven't seen those movies in years, but I remember loving their insanity as a kid.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
If you guys do Kick Ass I want to guest again.

Karzac
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM
You guys should do Taken, because it's awesome. And I know you've mentioned it, but it deserves its own episode.

Dizzy
02-06-2011, 05:04 PM
No no no no no no.

The Fifth Element.

The Fifth Element all the way.

Alixsar
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I have Taken, Fifth Element, and Kick Ass all on blu ray. So I'm down. Right now the talk is leaning toward FE since Anthony is a fucking retard hasn't seen it since it was first out and it's playing in a local theater. So I don't know.

ASandoval
02-09-2011, 10:37 PM
So I know there's no real excuse for me having not listened to your guy's podcast (I barely have any time for it! Seriously, I don't even sit in front of a computer doing monotonous work anymore!). That said I just found out about this thing right here (http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2011/01/27) and wanted to know if any of you knew about it? Because seriously... just look at it.

I've heard there's no english subtitled/dubbed version yet, but as soon as there is? Instant purchase.

Ethan
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
When I think of Fifth Element, I think of the flying cars, and then I think about Blade Runner and just want to watch that. But Fifth Element is pretty decent. I mean, Ian Holm. Can't go wrong.

Calorie Mate
02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
So I know there's no real excuse for me having not listened to your guy's podcast (I barely have any time for it! Seriously, I don't even sit in front of a computer doing monotonous work anymore!). That said I just found out about this thing right here (http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2011/01/27) and wanted to know if any of you knew about it? Because seriously... just look at it.

Yes, we are already quite aware of it. So aware, in fact, that we may or may not have talked about it after last week's cast and you may or may not want to check back in here in, say, two weeks or so (you know, when our next b-side goes up).

Also, you should listen to us, because seriously.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-09-2011, 11:33 PM

I've heard there's no english subtitled/dubbed version yet, but as soon as there is? Instant purchase.

: o

Calorie Mate
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/images/24.png (http://www.onthestick.com/actioncast/articles/26/action-cast-11-sexiest-man-alive)