PDA

View Full Version : LttP: Tomb Raider

Brickroad
09-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I played this game for like five minutes when it was new, then dismissed it because FF7 was sitting like right there. It's been a hole in my gaming career ever since, and I've decided it's time to finally plug it up. Ten bucks on PSN, and it'll help fill the time at work this weekend.

First impression: My goodness, she has some big ol' titties.

Second impression: GRRR tank controls!

That's as far as I've played!

Ostrich
09-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I bought the first three in a single collection during the PSone's dying days, and I never got too far into any of them.

I did play the first one the longest, but I can't remember the exact reason I stopped. I think it had something to do with not knowing where to go after fighting the only other human in the game for the third or fourth time.

I do remember the combat always boiled down to "Pull off some fancy grid-based acrobatics while mashing on the shoot button until something dies."

Alpha Werewolf
09-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Dude. Just don't.

StrawberryChrist
09-11-2010, 01:52 AM
That game is all about the climbing puzzles. Slow, clumsy, awkward climbing puzzles. And since you are exploring tombs, the graphics tend to be especially drab and monotonous and the traps and other things that will kill you are usually well-concealed. Which means you get to repeat the climbing segments a lot.
Personally I'd rather play Syphon Filter. This is the harshest thing I have ever said about anything.

DANoWAR
09-11-2010, 01:58 AM

But you played the round titties and not the pyramid ones, did ya?

I played the first two games back in the day...well, not exactly, I think ca. 5 years after they were released. Yep, I'm trendy like that.

Did I mention I played Half-Life 1 after Half-Life 2 came out? Oh, and Starcraft 6 years after it came out?

Makkara
09-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Second impression: GRRR tank controls!

Yeah, the controls aren't exactly up to modern standards. They're actually very precise, but that's because you control every single aspect of your movement directly. It's the complete opposite of the intuitive movement of Assassin's Creed, where you just push the stick in the direction you want to go. Try to think of it as a very accurate recreation of the controls from the original Prince of Persia with an extra axis.

Bongo Bill
09-11-2010, 02:24 AM
I had a neighbor who would pronounce this game like "tumor aider."

That's the only thing I have to add to this thread.

onimaruxlr
09-11-2010, 02:25 AM
First game would've been remembered a lot more fondly if Mario 64 hadn't shown up and made it look like a bitch in comparison

That being said, it was probably the best traditional 3D character platforming game on consoles that weren't the N64 until...uh...

...Did the PS1 ever get a good one of those?

Makkara
09-11-2010, 02:36 AM
That being said, it was probably the best traditional 3D character platforming game on consoles that weren't the N64 until...uh...

Ape Escape was pretty okay, I thought.

Torgo
09-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Not knowing exactly what "traditional 3d character platforming" even means, Spider-man on the PS1 was pretty sweet. I sunk a ton of time into that.

Ostrich
09-11-2010, 02:47 AM
The Crash and Spyro trilogies, Croc: Legend of the Gobos, and Ape Escape were all good PS1 3D platformers. I definitely had some fun with them back in the day, and I still do whenever I revisit them.

Not knowing exactly what "traditional 3d character platforming" even means, Spider-man on the PS1 was pretty sweet. I sunk a ton of time into that.

I second this, too.

Tomm Guycot
09-11-2010, 02:51 AM
There is one key moment in Tomb Raider that was mindblowing at the time. I dare not spoil it incase Brick highlights spoiler text.

The last boss sure was stupid.

Moirae
09-11-2010, 05:58 AM
I remember playing the demo for this on PC and being blown away by it. At the time, the only other fully realized 3D polygon game around was Quake. I was speechless. Then, as someone said above, Mario 64 happened.

I still remember to this day, my friend bringing his brand new N64 over to my house. We hooked it up to the big screen TV because my folks were away. As soon as I played Mario 64, all thoughts of buying Tomb Raider went away.

Adrenaline
09-11-2010, 08:19 AM
You should have sprung for Anniversary!

Or not.

Brickroad
09-11-2010, 08:26 AM
You should have sprung for Anniversary!

Or not.

I probably will, but I wanted to get the authentic experience first.

I won't really be digging into it until tonight, but after the first level, maaaan. This game is hard to play. And is there any story at all? It was pretty much just "LOL DICKWOLVES" and then I was trapped in a cave.

DANoWAR
09-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I probably will, but I wanted to get the authentic experience first.

I won't really be digging into it until tonight, but after the first level, maaaan. This game is hard to play. And is there any story at all? It was pretty much just "LOL DICKWOLVES" and then I was trapped in a cave.

Once, back in the days of yore, there was an artifact called manual...

Rascally Badger
09-11-2010, 10:12 AM

It was probably lost to the ravages of time.

Seth Marati
09-11-2010, 10:19 AM

While I don't (and can't rightly) look down on the general practice of lusting after game characters, Lara Croft always seemed like a silly choice for that. Yes, even when I was a budding adolescent, but that might have been because I was a Nintendo die-hard at the time.

Unlocking a digital manual by finding an in-game artifact would be a neat but annoying bit of meta-ness.

DANoWAR
09-11-2010, 10:52 AM
It was probably lost to the ravages of time.

Then it's time to dig into the local preservationist society. (http://www.replacementdocs.com)

Andrew
09-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Tomb Raider Anniversary exists because this game is nigh-unplayable today. Why are you punishing yourself with this game?

Don't forget the long-lost fighting technique of circle-strafing!

And is there any story at all?

Yeah, but if you want it told to you in ponderously long cutscenes, you're kind of Missing the Point.

Brickroad
09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm still playing this. YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

I used to really hate combat like, a lot, but now that I've kinda got the hang of flipping around it's dwindled down to merely a mild distaste. I'm currently in a level that is just all lousy with gorillas, and I admit it makes me feel like a badass to dance around one while filling it with bullets.

Of course if I tap the wrong direction for even a moment Lara backs herself into a corner and doesn't have much choice but to sit there pumping rounds into gorilla face while it's clawing her to death. I guess that's why the game keeps you swimming in medkits.

The platforming elements took some getting used to, but are actually fairly good. Kind of hard to judge the slope of things sometimes, but that might have more to do with the tiny PSP screen than anything. (Or maybe not.) The tank controls actually aren't as bad as all that since the camera does its level best to stay behind you. Up is always forward, but it's almost always forward in pretty much every game with a smart camera, so it feels fine most of the time.

I've been enjoying it enough that I felt like sinking $12 into the remake on Xbox, and now I'm playing them both side-by-side. Tomb Raider at night at the office, Tomb Raider Anniversary in the mornings at home. It's weird, but I've been feeling so right at home on the ancient version that all this wall-climbing grappling-hook adrenaline-dodge nonsense is pretty jarring. Takes me a few minutes to get used to the new button layout again.

It took me almost two hours to solve the mansion level in Anniversary, because I didn't shoot up a glass case. Lara, I can appreciate that your bedroom door is locked or whatever, but that doesn't lead me to believe the solution is to run around the house firing upon everything haphazardly. Then again I'm new to this whole tomb raiding debacle, so what do I know.

I love agile acrobat heroes, so Anniversary is shaping up to be a great fit in my Xbox. Also Lara is exceptionally shiny when wet. That is all (for now).

eta: Okay, fuck yeah, that's how you do a QTE!