PDA

View Full Version : Great Travel Games

Calorie Mate
09-19-2010, 10:25 PM
As I'm going on a 3 week trip next month, I'm in the market for good games to play when you have to leave your big games behind. So, I figured I'd make a thread about it!

In here we discuss both great games specifically made for travel (like, say, decks of cards, Fluxx, etc.) and the best conversions to those travel versions of regular ol' board games (which includes everything from travel Scrabble to - I think - portable versions of Catan and Carcassone).

So! Travel games.

Calorie Mate
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Both!

Set is pretty awesome. I actually was introduced to it at Kat's house, only to go home and discover I already owned it! (I'm also terrible at it.)

Red Hedgehog
09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
If you're pretty sure you can get 4 people together, I will once again pound the pavement for Frank's Zoo. But heck, just about any card game can work (even Race for the Galaxy and Dominion).

Sarcasmorator
09-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Haven't really traveled with it yet, but Roll Through the Ages (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37380/roll-through-the-ages-the-bronze-age) seems like it would travel well. Compact, sturdy components, and you can roll the dice in the box top.

shivam
09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
i have portable catan, if you want, but it's not fun with only 2 people.

San Juan is awesome-- a 2 player card based version of puerto rico.
Dominion is good, but the box is a little clunky for travel. Chrononauts, fluxx, and set are fantastic.

stay the fuck away from 2 player ticket to ride, though.

Sarcasmorator
09-20-2010, 12:34 AM
i have portable catan, if you want, but it's not fun with only 2 people.

Playing to 15 makes 2-player Catan a nasty cutthroat exercise, just like a larger game.

benjibot
09-20-2010, 12:37 AM
I was going to suggest Fluxx when I saw the post title. But then you already mentioned it.

Ever played Lunch Money? I spent most of my high school lunch periods playing that game. Up until some teacher freaked out because we were using pennies to keep track of life and that looked like gambling. Apparently there are expansions now. I'd like to play those some day.

shivam
09-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Playing to 15 makes 2-player Catan a nasty cutthroat exercise, just like a larger game.

that sounds like the opposite of fun.

Olli T
09-20-2010, 03:06 AM
I was going to suggest Fluxx when I saw the post title. But then you already mentioned it.

Fluxx is only good if you have three or more people. But it's good! I should get some of the extensions (maybe Jewish Fluxx?). Out of other card games, Uno is pretty good for killing a lot of time.

I personally like Yahtzee a lot: not much hardware needed, it's easy to learn but hard to master, and it has a decent mix of strategy and luck. The only problem is that playing with 5 dice can be a little inconvenient in a train or a bus - the dice always keep falling off those flimsy tables and then you have to get up and look for it.

Violentvixen
09-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Set is probably my favorite card game. I'd go with that.

I guess otherwise it depends on how much room you have while traveling. Are you talking about stuff to play in your hotel nights, or are you going on a train together, or what?

SET SET SET SET SET SET SET.

Although do elaborate on space/stability as that definitely affects which games work. I have the travel version of Scrabble and it's great (they have nice little notches for the tiles), although still not terribly small.

Sarcasmorator
09-20-2010, 08:41 AM
that sounds like the opposite of fun.

Well. Not that nasty.

Calorie Mate
09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Although do elaborate on space/stability as that definitely affects which games work. I have the travel version of Scrabble and it's great (they have nice little notches for the tiles), although still not terribly small.

Well, for my purposes specifically, I was thinking for playing on planes / in the cabin of a train, and can be carried around easily. Something that spreads out or is bulky or has a million pieces (like Dominion) probably won't work. This is why a deck of cards is, like, the best thing in the world for traveling.

If you're pretty sure you can get 4 people together, I will once again pound the pavement for Frank's Zoo.

I must have missed said pounding, because that sounds fun! Unfortunately, it will only be two of us traveling (90% of the time anyway).

That soudns pretty rad.

(maybe Jewish Fluxx?)

What.

Olli T
09-20-2010, 01:31 PM
(maybe Jewish Fluxx?).

What.

http://store.looneylabs.com/Jewish-Fluxx-Booster

The-Bavis
09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I am a constant advocate for all things Blokus, and the old "Travel Blokus" had been redubbed "Blokus Duo," which I own. It travels well enough. The new "Travel Blokus" looks the same, but with less chance of lost pieces. Playing a 2-player version of Blokus in this way is a completely different game than regular Blokus.

Red Hedgehog
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Dominion is good, but the box is a little clunky for travel. Chrononauts, fluxx, and set are fantastic.

Two differences of opinion:

1) I think Race for the Galaxy is a much better card based version of Puerto Rico (despite the theme change)

2) You don't bring the original box Dominion came in. You either get a cardboard card box from a store that sells CCG cards or you just put the Dominion cards in a ziploc bag. This actually applies to most card-based games since they usually come in boxes far bigger than they need to be.

Calorie Mate
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Even so, there are still, like, a billon cards in Dominion. Not so good if you're backpacking or something.

Red Hedgehog
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Even so, there are still, like, a billon cards in Dominion. Not so good if you're backpacking or something.

Dominion is really easy to fit in a backpack. I've easily gotten both the original and intrigue in one with plenty of room to spare.

Destil
09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
You don't bring the original box Dominion came in. You either get a cardboard card box from a store that sells CCG cards or you just put the Dominion cards in a ziploc bag. This actually applies to most card-based games since they usually come in boxes far bigger than they need to be.Yeah, it would fit in a magic 'tin' pretty easily as it's roughly 8 decks, not a terrible idea.

BŁge
09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/FF/i/FFmo.jpg

bring dice