PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo WFC for 09/20/2010: Sixth-of-a-Minute Hero

Octopus Prime
09-20-2010, 01:44 PM
What is this beast that men call... Monday?

WiiWare starts off with Triple Throwing Sports, which is a collection of... throwing-based sports. More then three though, despite the name. The press release claims that it is "the most advanced recreational throwing game available for the WiiWare service", and you know? I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt on that claim.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/Percy1.png
A game about throwing things away, boss?

WiiWare also got The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs which is... well... which is a game based on the childrens book The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Except instead of teaching small childrens of the terrors of eating many times ones own mass, lest they become a winged horror, it teaches small children about the alphabet.

Which is a markedly different lesson.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/terrible.png
Percy was VERY FULL that day.

Virtual Console got a release this week. You're excited to hear that, aren't you? I'm sure you are, I was. Then I heard that the game was Aero the Acrobat 2.

And all excitement left the world.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/Zekercy.jpg
Hey Boss, I am totally radical and brimming with 'tude. Can I have a mascot platformer?

DSiWare got the only game that made me say "Hey... that sounds pretty great, actually" with GO Series 10 Second Run. You run down a hallway reaching the exit within 10 seconds. Then you do it again with a slightly more difficult hallway, and so forth It sounds simple, sure, but it sounds like it's well worth 200 Spacebuxx too.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/perphinFAST.gif
10 Second levels? This is a perfect game for people with attention spans like mine!

Everyday Soccer is a game about assembling a team of true Hooligans to rabble rouse on the world-stage! Or play Soccer.

More likely the second thing, based on the title.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/Percyxluffyxuuuuaaaagggghhh.png
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

The final game (well, App) this week is Nintendo Countdown Calendar, which lets you set up an Advent Calendar for ANY occasion, not just Adventing! The utility for such a thing boggle the mind!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/Percival%20P%20Persimmon/Percyxluffyxuuuuaaaagggghhh.png
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Now lets forget our troubles with a BIG BOWL of strawberry icecream!

WiiWare

Triple Throwing Sports
Publisher: The Code Monkeys Ltd.
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Wii Points™
Description: Triple Throwing Sports is the most advanced recreational throwing game available for the WiiWare service, immersing players in the world of competitive projectile throwing. Most Olympic events consist of activities that are traditionally derived from hunting and combat skills. Over time these practices have evolved into a variety of competitive sports that include Javelin, Discus, Shot Put and Hammer. As with real-life throwing events, you will have full control over the aim of the projectile. You must also take into account the angle, release point and power - all of these factors can influence the success of your throw.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs
Publisher: CYBIRD Co., Ltd.
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: EC (Early Childhood)
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs is an educational game based on the children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It allows parents to help children learn basic English while enjoying a game together. The game consists of four parts, including alphabet flash cards featuring colored letters and pictures by Eric Carle, plus a vocabulary quiz for preschool-aged children that includes numbers, colors, shapes, animal names and simple verbs and adjectives. Young players can also engage in fun activities such as erasing parts of a colored screen to reveal a hidden illustration, or placing a variety of animal stamps on the screen. Finally, parents can use the "To The Parents" option to check their children's progress in remembering vocabulary words. Your whole family is sure to appreciate the colorful illustrations by Eric Carle, internationally renowned as a creator of beautifully illustrated and innovatively designed picture books for children.

Virtual Console

AERO THE ACROBAT™ 2
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: Sunsoft
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: The aerialist extreme, Aero the Acro-Bat, bounds back into the spotlight once again to stop the wicked industrialist, Edgar Ektor! Aero has entered a new realm of enchantment and must now use all of his acrobatic prowess to foil a criminal plot known only as "Plan B." Join Aero as he discovers new friends - and enemies - in a world custom-built for his high-flying adventures. There are 45 levels of acrobatic fun, including Bonus Rounds, Chance Stages and Hidden Chambers. Discover new villains and original digitized character voices. A password feature allows you to return to any level. The Chillin' Snow Boarding Stage adds a new twist to Aero's style, and you'll find new moves and fighting techniques for Aero's attacks.

Nintendo DSiWare

Nintendo Countdown Calendar
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: Not Rated
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: With Nintendo Countdown Calendar, you can add and track all of your important events in a fun and exciting countdown format. Simply set up your personal profile and then start entering events. Adding events is easy: Choose a date for the event, decide whether it will be an open event (which you name yourself) or a set event (chosen from the School, Work or General Events categories), and select an icon from the wide variety of available options. If necessary, you can set the recurrence of the event or even move the event to the Hidden Events List. From there, the calendar does the rest - just watch the days count down! On subsequent visits to the application, you may see special greetings or suggested seasonal events you can choose to add to your calendar. All events added to the calendar are displayed chronologically, so you can quickly view all of your upcoming events in one place.

GO Series 10 Second Run
Publisher: Gamebridge
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Run like the wind in this unique twist on the classic platform game. Take control of a stick man and run for your life across an obstacle course to reach the goal within 10 seconds. Dash across platforms and avoid various hazards, desperately trying to reach the exit in time. Ten seconds is all you've got. Go flat out over 50 stages and three game modes. Do you have what it takes to reach the finish line?

Everyday Soccer
Publisher: Aksys Games
Players: 1-2
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Play soccer against teams from all over the world. Customize your characters to be normally sized, small, tall or muscular. You can also customize their shirts, shorts and shoes. Take advantage of your players' specific traits as dictated by their body types. Assembling a well-balanced team is the key to becoming world champions. There are many teams to play against, so keep your mind sharp and your kicking foot sharper. Play against friends via DS Download Play and find out who's the true soccer champion!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!

chud_666
09-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Whens the last time anyone dloaded any of these things?

I like reading octopus prime's write ups though! I lold!

Octopus Prime
09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Whens the last time anyone dloaded any of these things?

I like reading octopus prime's write ups though! I lold!

I got Ninja Kurakuri and Blayzbloo on DSi a few weeks ago, they were awesome. ...and I intend to get 10 Second Run when I get around to turning on my DS.

And d'awww, thanks.

SilentSnake
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
It's good to see Sunsoft still chugging along.

Now if we could just get Mr. Gimmick...

chud_666
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
I dont have dsi... Maybe thats my problem! :P

Octopus Prime
09-20-2010, 01:58 PM
It's good to see Sunsoft still chugging along.

Now if we could just get Mr. Gimmick...

Or the game allegedy based on the Batman movie!

Or it's sequel which stars a man, dressed as a bat who guns down countless people.

SpoonyBardOL
09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I plan on picking up Ufouria the next time I get some Wii points.

Hell, I'd have it NOW if it weren't for the premium price.

liquid
09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
No myNotebook this week?

Oscar
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I plan on picking up Ufouria the next time I get some Wii points.

Hell, I'd have it NOW if it weren't for the premium price.

It's totally worth it! I played it for the first time a few weeks back, and it's a really really solid game. It has some fantastic animation, too!

Excitemike
09-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Virtual Console got a release this week.

That's not a release, that's a travesty.

Pseudonym
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh hey! The Tiny Cartridge twitter had a shout out to the thread.

ArugulaZ
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
No more Herve Vallenchaise Percies? Aw, what a shame.

Octopus Prime
09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I just bought and played 10 Second Run. It deserved its mention in the title of the thread. It's not unlike a simplified version of N (or N+, if you prefer)- each level is a straight run and there's no wall-hopping, but you are still running a stick-man through an obstacle course.

Up until we someday get N+ on DSiWare (and God willing, some day we will), it's the next best thing.

Knight
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Up until we someday get N+ on DSiWare (and God willing, some day we will), it's the next best thing.
I don't think we will, since it was already released on a cart.

Octopus Prime
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think we will, since it was already released on a cart.

Yes (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/991518-mr-driller-drill-till-you-drop), that is certainly (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/960580-mario-vs-donkey-kong-minis-march-again) a detriment to (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/991426-battle-of-giants-dinosaurs-fight-for-survival) the chances (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/997952-battle-of-giants-mutant-insects-revenge).

All right, granted, the last two aren't GOOD, but they're still examples.

MetManMas
09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
That's not a release, that's a travesty.

Aw, c'mon! I'm no fan of Aero the Acrobat, but they could put up worse mascot platformers. Like Bubsy the Bobcat!

Or Bubsy II, with its comic and instruction booklet blatantly advertising the NERF® Ballzooka® as a weapon in-game and making it sound 'Bigger than Jesus. Ah, the NERF® Ballzooka®. The plasticky, foam ball shooting NERF® Ballzooka®....What a lame power-up that ended up being! The NERF® Ballzooka® functioned just like any other kinda lame 'shoot forward' weapon, and ammo for the NERF® Ballzooka® was pretty rare unless you cheated your ass off! As far as I can remember, the NERF® Ballzooka® didn't even get mentioned by name in-game, so those that rented it without the instruction booklet might not even know it is a NERF® Ballzooka®. =/

And yet, I'm sad I can't find that Bubsy II comic with its NERF® Ballzooka® whoring documented on the Internet. Oh, NERF® Ballzooka®.....I mean, Bubsy II. Even with your blatant NERF® Ballzooka® advertising, you were still a better game than Skulljagger, that Godawful pirate action platformer that had better production values in its entire plot-spoiling comic insert than in the game itself. =(

Donny
09-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Aw, c'mon! I'm no fan of Aero the Acrobat, but they could put up worse mascot platformers. Like Bubsy the Bobcat!

Man I'll take Bubsy over Aero any day. Well. Ideally I wouldn't take either of them. But if I HAD to choose I'd go with Bubsy just because it didn't make you do stupid crap like jump through a certain number of hoops or other fetch questy bull to beat the level. The only thing I remember about Aero 2 is that it managed to be even more generic than the first game.

Bubsy II though....MAN. They did away with the one-hit kills from the first game, made it harder for Bubsy to drown, AND gave you smart bombs and the (worthless) Nerf-gun but still managed to make it even more un-playable than the first.

Warg
09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I haven't played any of the Aero games, so I don't know how good or bad they are --

-- but if we're seeing the second one on Virtual Console, that means the first must've sold reasonably well, right? I mean, unless Sunsoft or Gaijinworks were confirming to a strict release schedule, they wouldn't put the second out if the first wasn't successful, no?

If the above is true -- I'm of course not certain, but other developers could possibly, hopefully interpret this release to mean that there's still a reasonable market for Virtual Console games.

(... and a hello to Tiny Cartridge!)

Becksworth
09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Apparently Robox (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugpfwqBOKE8) is coming out in Europe this week. It actually kind of looks interesting...

MetManMas
09-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, it's been a while since I've played the Bubsy and Aero games, so my details are a bit fuzzy.....but I do remember Bubsy II's NERF® Ballzooka® thing from all the times they said it in the manual. It was probably NERF® Ballzooka™ or NERF Ballzooka™ back then, though.

Well, back on topic, I have zero experience with Aero 2. I don't even think my video stores had it, and if they did I was too busy renting Chrono Trigger, Lufia II, and Secret of Evermore to notice.

Kishi
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
The only thing I remember about Aero 2 is that it managed to be even more generic than the first game.

I watched some Aero 2 on YouTube to get a sense of it, and...yeah. His walk cycle is pretty neat, but that was probably there in the first game. And other than that, there is just nothing going on, there.

Alastor
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I liked Bubsy 2.

Donny
09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I liked Bubsy 2.

I have a fondness for the original thats way more forgiving than it deserves so I'm not really one to talk, but could you explain this? I mostly remember Bubsy II being a cluttered mess. The levels were more maze like than the original and instead of organic sets like a village or jungle you got confusing crap like levels made out of musical instruments and notes and a space...port? Something in space. There were fewer leaps of faith required over all but good luck finding where to go anyway. I also remember that the best they could muster for bosses was to have standard enemies pop up from behind panels and shoot bullets at you. The game just felt more shoddy and incomplete than the first, complete with a NES-esque "COMBOLATIONS! YOU BEAT THE GAME" screen after the final boss.

And while that all sounds damning, as bad as the first two Bubsy games are neither can hold a candle to Bubsy on the fucking Atari Jaguar. Remember the level in the original game that was set on a river, with watery death waiting everywhere and spikey brambles lining the entire stage? Every level in Bubsy on the Jaguar is that goddamn level.

Also (so this post isn't entirely off topic) I downloaded 10 Second Run and it is pretty neat.

Belmont
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Nobody will ever like Bubsy as much as ulillillia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47zqBZM9x4).

Nobody.

ProfessorS
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Man. Aero the Acrobat II is like the most average game ever.

blinkpen
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Nobody will ever like Bubsy as much as ulillillia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47zqBZM9x4).

Nobody.

Holy crap. Holy holy crap.

There is a man clearly loving Bubsy enough to make up for the entire rest of the planet.

Torgo
09-21-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm not exactly sure how I played as much Bubsy as I did back in the day, but I did and I actually enjoyed it. I think. I've tried to play the game once or twice in recent years, and there is something about the game that unsettles me greatly. I think it's a combination of the floaty platforming and breakneck speed combined with a really zoomed in point of view. I dunno.

Octopus Prime
09-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Apparently Robox (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugpfwqBOKE8) is coming out in Europe this week. It actually kind of looks interesting...

That does look pretty great. Hopefully it comes out over here soon too.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Quick question: have there been any Game Gear-only games which have come out for the Master System Virtual Console?

Just wondering, as I'd really like to see Tails' Adventure on there, given the recent comics on it. I know that basically, Master System = Game Gear, but I figured there might be some minor things, like aspect ratio, that might make running one on the other a little... off.

I do have the game on Sonic Gems, but between my GameCube memory card woes (I have a 1019; really need to find one of the next size down) and rowdy cats who will pull over my whole setup at the slightest provocation (I wish I had a Wavebird), I can't say I'm eager to risk it.

Zef
09-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Skulljagger

:eek: Holy crap, someone else remembers that game! And its comic!

MetManMas
09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
:eek: Holy crap, someone else remembers that game! And its comic!

What can I say? I've played a wide palette of SNES titles via video stores (Xardion, Brain Lord, Arcana, Paladin's Quest, Robotrek, etc.etc.etc.), and Skulljagger was one of those titles I rented, in part due to the comic-y cover art. And it was one of those big disappointments for me.

Honestly, I liked the comic more than the game it was attached to. I wish that had been adapted into a game and put on cart, instead of that jerky, ugly, by-the-numbers platformer game with half-assed level design that claimed to be it. =(

Kishi
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Quick question: have there been any Game Gear-only games which have come out for the Master System Virtual Console?

Just wondering, as I'd really like to see Tails' Adventure on there, given the recent comics on it. I know that basically, Master System = Game Gear, but I figured there might be some minor things, like aspect ratio, that might make running one on the other a little... off.

Yeah, the resolutions are 248x192 versus 160x144, so a nontrivial amount of reformatting is needed to put a game from one platform onto the other.

http://www.theghz.com/sonic/son1_gg/son1_24.gif http://www.theghz.com/sonic/son1_gg/gg_07.gif

I guess they could also put Tails Adventure in a Super Game Boy-style border, but I can't see them bothering with the effort either way.

Dan Moreton
09-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh shit, this thread reminds me we're getting Mystic Quest in Europe this Friday. :) BTW would you guys mind if I did a European-centric version of this thread? The line ups are usually very different so it won't be all that redundant.

Octopus Prime
09-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I remembered Skūljagger from its single-mention in Nintendo Power.

And it's kept a place in my heart ever since, as my 9-year-old self wondered "How the heck do you pronounce that? School-Yay-Ger?".

MetManMas
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Oh shit, this thread reminds me we're getting Mystic Quest in Europe this Friday. :)

Wait, what? Final Fantasy Mystic Quest's going on Europe's VC? I know it was designed with the intention of being Baby's First RPG or whatever, and had more in common with Final Fantasy Legend SaGa and Final Fantasy Adventure Sword of Mana: Unsucky Monochrome Edition Seiken Densetsu, but I'm still envious you guys are getting MQ this week while we're getting some circus bat trying to stop an evil clown.

BTW would you guys mind if I did a European-centric version of this thread? The line ups are usually very different so it won't be all that redundant.

I don't mind. Heck, I'm surprised we didn't have one already. I'm in the US myself, but I know that doesn't apply to everyone here. I'd love to see what stuff you guys are getting that I we can grumble curses about not having yet (or possibly ever), anyway.

Dan Moreton
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Sweet! I'll start one up this Friday, gives me something creative to do with my time in the evening. :) Yeah we got Aero The Acrobat 2 a couple weeks back now I think, I think we've actually been ahead of you guys for a while now, which is a bit of a reversal from a year or so back.

Octopus Prime
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Not really, I think we've always gotten the short end of the stick compared to Europe for WFC releases

Dan Moreton
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Really? It felt like the opposite at one point, my memory of it is a bit hazy to be honest though. I do know we still haven't got Lifeforce or Axelay yet, two of my favorite shoot 'em ups, even Australia got those!

Oscar
09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Sweet! I'll start one up this Friday, gives me something creative to do with my time in the evening. :) Yeah we got Aero The Acrobat 2 a couple weeks back now I think, I think we've actually been ahead of you guys for a while now, which is a bit of a reversal from a year or so back.

This is a great idea, thanks! And Mystic Quest? That was one of the first games I ever played via emulation. I don't remember if it's actually any good, but I still have fond memories of playing it. I seem to remember thinking the music was really great.

Octopus Prime
09-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Really? It felt like the opposite at one point, my memory of it is a bit hazy to be honest though. I do know we still haven't got Lifeforce or Axelay yet, two of my favorite shoot 'em ups, even Australia got those!

Well it tends to vary, but in general I think you all get things a few weeks (or months) ahead of us. There are exceptions, but for the most part, things either come out too close to really comment on, or you get the advantage.

Dan Moreton
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
This is a great idea, thanks! And Mystic Quest? That was one of the first games I ever played via emulation. I don't remember if it's actually any good, but I still have fond memories of playing it. I seem to remember thinking the music was really great.

You're more than welcome mate! Hope you're still having fun with the old SNES, I know she's in good hands. :) I'm a virgin when it comes to Mystic Quest, so I'm quite excited actually!

Oscar
09-21-2010, 02:24 PM
You're more than welcome mate! Hope you're still having fun with the old SNES, I know she's in good hands. :) I'm a virgin when it comes to Mystic Quest, so I'm quite excited actually!

I am, thanks! It has the prime spot under my TV at the moment because you can never have enough Super Metroid. I'm currently trying to expand my SNES library -- and because now I'm actually getting money on a regular basis, new (well, old) games are a thing I can get!

Dan Moreton
09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
you can never have enough Super Metroid

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz242/Osirus128/respecknucklesma5.jpg

MetManMas
09-22-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm loving 10 Second Run. It's always amazing how a simple-seeming goal of making it to a goal in ten seconds can make for quite engaging gameplay.

Yes (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/991518-mr-driller-drill-till-you-drop), that is certainly (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/960580-mario-vs-donkey-kong-minis-march-again) a detriment to (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/991426-battle-of-giants-dinosaurs-fight-for-survival) the chances (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/997952-battle-of-giants-mutant-insects-revenge).

All right, granted, the last two aren't GOOD, but they're still examples.

That Mr. Driller game was one of the first things I bought on DSiWare, and is still one of my favorites. Hell, the amount of content in it puts WiiWare's Mr. Driller W to shame, and it's 300 points cheaper as well.

If you have the space, the whole of Electroplankton can be purchased through ten 200-point installments, easy with one 2000-point card. That's way cheaper than what its DS card goes for.