PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 Alt: Super Mario World

Parish
09-02-2007, 02:25 PM
This week's main Fun Club topic is a continuation of Metroid Prime 3, since most people still seem to be somewhere in Ellysia or thereabouts. For those who have finished, or who simply don't want to play, we feature the glorious return of the Alternative Selections.

Super Mario World
Nintendo | Super NES, 1991 | GBA, 2001 | VC, 2007

Mario World is actually meaty enough a game to stand alone as its own main selection, which makes it a good counterpart for the second week of the Metroid topic. The great thing about this particular platformer is that it is so incredibly open -- chances are that no two people will choose the same exact route through the game. You can breeze through it by taking a shortcut to Bowser, or you can motor through all the stages and their main exits. Or you can take the scenic route and open all the extra levels to get that 96-stages-complete indicator on the title screen.

So please, discuss your game plan and approach as you play through.

Note: This topic is not an excuse for certain among you to start debating the completely pointless and unnecessary argument over whether this was better than Super Mario Bros. 3. Who cares, guys. They're both great.

Zef
09-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Mondo outrageous. Groovy, even.

How's the GBA version, by the by? I've always been curious about the portable remakes, and the Mario platformers are ideal for the format (not to mention, I could play them more often.)

Mr. Sensible
09-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I cleared all exits on the GBA version, like, two months ago. But now I can do it again!

This was the game I spent many sleepless nights pining for at the tender age of ten. It shone like a diamond from inside the pages of Nintendo Power, beckoning me with its vibrant colors and massive new game world. Heads still spinning from the unbridled popularity of the NES, what child could resist this new ambrosia of Nintendo, this superior system of entertainment? Some, perhaps; but not I. Not with this leviathan of a game at stake.

Edit: GBA version's good, but as is the case with most home-to-portable platforming ports, I keep wishing I had a bigger screen.

Torgo
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
The Mario Advance titles are serviceable, but no match for original carts or VC downloads. Except for Yoshi's Island, which looks and sounds like crap.

le geek
09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
LAME FACT: I have never beaten a 2D Super Mario game...

Calorie Mate
09-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Man, I remember that first day we got our SNES and Super Mario World, played the Hell out of it, and by 6am the next morning I was already up playing again.

...actually, Super Mario Galaxy is going to be bad, because I'm going to exhaust myself by doing that exact same thing before work every day when that comes out. I love you, Mario.

sillbot
09-02-2007, 04:50 PM
When you save your game, there are numbers next to your save. What exactly do these signify? Are they number of levels beaten or number of unique ways you've beaten certain levels? What is the maximum number?

'Cause I want that number.

blindblue
09-02-2007, 05:09 PM
When you save your game, there are numbers next to your save. What exactly do these signify? Are they number of levels beaten or number of unique ways you've beaten certain levels? What is the maximum number?

It's the number of exits you've taken. 72 stages, 96 exits. I remember the brief burst of joy when, after being stuck on 95 for forever, I was playing through the Forest of Illusion, fleeing a Boo, and ducked into a door I didn't remember ever taking. 96*! I was on top of the damn world that day. You take the small victories when you're a kid in small-town Texas.

Sanagi
09-02-2007, 05:12 PM
My GBA save is still at Vanilla Secret 2. When I discovered that the game no longer maxes out at 99 lives, I had the chilling realization that I would have to find out if it maxes out at 999. I'm up to 500 so far.

You're on the right track. It's the number of exits you've found. There are 96 total, and a little star will appear next to the number to let you know that's the maximum.

Tomm Guycot
09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Psst! Levels with multiple exits are red!

cartman414
09-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Quiet Tomm! You're gonna spoil it for everyone!

My obsessive-compulsive self always chooses to run through all of the level paths.

SlimJimm
09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I remember the first time I found about star road I thought I was so damn cool. I showed my friends and we all wondered how to beat the levels (since you needed to find the key exits to really beat them).

I think this was my favorite mario because of all those secret exits and extra levels.

Daremo
09-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I love Mario World. I own the original cart, the GBA version, and the VC game and have played through all of them. If you have not played this one and are a fan of platform games, by all means download it for VC and give it a try! Good stuff!

Calorie Mate
09-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't really like this dinosaur guy in this game. I hope Nintendo doesn't decide to keep him around.

le geek
09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Made it to the 3rd castle before calling it a night.

shivam
09-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok, so mario is really hard when playing with a keyboard. i think i'm gonna need to get me a controller or something.

Zef
09-02-2007, 10:27 PM
After 10+ years of not touching this game (glad my battery's still fine) I have to say one thing:

Koji Kondo is a genius.

sillbot
09-02-2007, 10:34 PM
SMW is interesting in the way that it breaks the old-school platforming convention where you fear GAME OVER (i.e. in all the previous SMBs). You can save your progress. On top of that, when you uncover the super secret area, you have the ability to get as many lives as you want without effort.

Instead the difficulty comes from the sheer number of secrets. Some are obvious, but some of them are particularly daunting to achieve (i.e. the Tubular level).

ArugulaZ
09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Ah yes, Super Mario World... it truly was the killer app of the Super NES way back when that console was first launched. My loyalties (and money) were with Sega back in 1991, but you could always find me sneaking in a few quick minutes with Super Mario World every time I visited the local Wal-Mart.

Sega's direct response to Super Mario World was Kid Chameleon, but that game always felt so hollow and insincere next to its inspiration. Instead of bright, cheerful graphics, everything was dingy and grainy, a precursor to the kinds of games we've been seeing far too much of in 2007. Instead of a happy-go-lucky plumber, you were cast as a teenager in gigantic sunglasses and a leather jacket, who croaked "Bummer!" every time he was caught by monsters. It could have been fun to play even though the aesthetics were so incredibly grating, but the lack of a battery save made it all the more difficult to struggle through the game's hundred plus levels, with their frustrating and stupidly open-ended designs.

dosboot
09-02-2007, 11:07 PM
What's the point of "continue without saving" exactly? So you can play it like the old games or something?

Eusis
09-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Probably in case you want to do something over again. The only time I see that mattering is for the switch palaces. Even then, it's not like you keep any lives after reloading, so that'd be to start off a marathon or something I guess.

sfried
09-03-2007, 12:10 AM
...Except for Yoshi's Island, which looks and sounds like crap.

Looks, I'd have to disagree with. Sounds...maybe less so, but it still remains chip-faithful to the original. Plus YI had bonus levels on top of bonus levels.

juanfrugalj
09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
SMW fills my heart with joy. It was the first Mario game I was able to fully complete, as I was too young for the NES games.

Still, I hated those thorny pillars in the fortress on the way to the back door of Bowser's castle. I hated them so hard.

Makkara
09-03-2007, 12:21 AM
After 10+ years of not touching this game (glad my battery's still fine) I have to say one thing:

Koji Kondo is a genius.

True. I have Jason Cox's cover of the SMW soundtrack on my iPod. In fact, I'd listen to it right now if I didn't have to work.

Mightyblue
09-03-2007, 12:24 AM
You know, whenever I work myself up to play through this again, I always get to the Donut Ghost House and the Secret Spot before crapping out on it. Normal platformers of either 2 or 3D just don't catch my attention like they used to. Both SMW 1 and 2 are awesome games though, I just can't sit through them anymore.

Shadax
09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm going to be the one guy who tries to complete it as quickly as possible. Except I don't actually remember which way that is, beyond remembering I have to get to the ghost house in the second world.
So far (halfway through the first world) the lack of the yellow ! Block is hurting a lot more than I thought it would.

EDIT: I should clarify that the reason it's kind of rough is because I suck at video games, a lot.

Mightyblue
09-03-2007, 12:28 AM
A small hint would be that while the block palaces are usually a bit out of the way, actually going to them and activating them will save you time in the long run, versus not getting them.

sillbot
09-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Getting to soda lake is way harder than I remember it, but it's the only place with those torpedo guys. Are there any other non-boss characters that only show up for one level? I can only think of the kuribo shoe in SMB3.

Shadax
09-03-2007, 12:56 AM
yeah, I made it to the ghost house without them, which was obnoxious enough. Well, let's see if my distinctly below average video game skills will be enough to get me through the star road without their help.

Also, since I cut my teeth on the GBA version (scoff as you may, but I am a relative newcomer to the realm of gaming), the fact that the SNES version automatically knocks you down to small when you get hit while powered-up instead of just knocking you down to normal really cramps my playstyle.

Mightyblue
09-03-2007, 01:08 AM
They call that "challenge" round these parts son. Just remember to keep an item in your reserve box, and ye'll be fine.

Anonymooo
09-03-2007, 01:15 AM
I'll start this as soon as I finish Metroid Prime 3, which will take me a little while because, uh... I just started it. Do we get special forum bragging rights and a no-prize if we do the Special Worlds, especially Tubular?

dosboot
09-03-2007, 01:20 AM
On this forum? Probably not.

Sanagi
09-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Thrilling update: Yes, the lives max out at 999 in the GBA version. Whew. I wasn't going to try for 9999.

Anonymooo
09-03-2007, 01:44 AM
On this forum? Probably not.
Darn. I was hoping for a great no-prize involving certain forum members and a pool filled with mayonnaise.

...forget I said that.

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 01:59 AM
True Story: Dave Perry showed me how to reach Star Road.

My favorite part of SMW is the level with those giant daikon radishes w/ the springy green platforms. I couldn't tell you why, but I love those.

I played SMW on the Super Famicom cause I knew all the hip cats at Virgin Games. I was Mr. Popular for about a week (this was a year before America would see the game).

Thus concludes Tomm's story hour.

Ghost from Spelunker
09-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Is anybody going to get all the exits in the game without using ANY switch palaces? Last time I played it that's what I did.

And no blue Yoshis with shells in their mouths to get at the exits. That's just cheating.

Zef
09-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Is anybody going to get all the exits in the game without using ANY switch palaces? Last time I played it that's what I did.

And no blue Yoshis with shells in their mouths to get at the exits. That's just cheating.
My memory's quite fuzzy (and I didn't even get dizzy) but isn't that nigh impossible? I think I remember at least one special keyhole in the Star Road stages that's set on a blue switch platform.

Or am I misremembering?

Shadax
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM

I'm having to stoop to blue Yoshis to get to the castle, unfortunately, I passed out last night before I managed to pull it off.

shivam
09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
you know, as much as i loved the racoon suit, the amount of control you have over the cape is amazing.

dosboot
09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
My memory's quite fuzzy (and I didn't even get dizzy) but isn't that nigh impossible? I think I remember at least one special keyhole in the Star Road stages that's set on a blue switch platform.

Or am I misremembering?

I just checked and it seems like the keyhole is on a platform as is the coin block with the key. You would have to fly there to reach it without the switch blocks.

Edit: Hmm... I don't know how you'd get the alt route in vanilla secret 1 without a blue yoshi or switch block.

MCBanjoMike
09-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Holy cow, you guys just lit into that thread. One day I was gone, one day! Well, I'm back, and I'm wondering if I'll attempt to clear the special stages without hitting any switch palaces. Is that possible? I don't even recall.

But if I do, THEN I'll play the regular game with pumpkin Marios everywhere.

Mr. Sensible
09-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey, if they didn't want you using flying Yoshi, they wouldn't have put any Koopas or their shells in the level.

I'm just sayin'.

sillbot
09-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Man, I'm sitting here with 92 exits and I thought I was done... crud.

Is finishing by getting the yoshi wings considered a different exit?

does the 96 include finishing the game?

Sanagi
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Man, I'm sitting here with 92 exits and I thought I was done... crud.

Is finishing by getting the yoshi wings considered a different exit?

does the 96 include finishing the game?
If I recall correctly, yoshi wings count, beating the game doesn't.

I always try to complete the Forest of Illusion all in one go, because otherwise it's a pain to figure out which of the various pointless exits you haven't found yet.

Shadax
09-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Well, it wasn't quite a speedrun, considering it still took a few hours and was done in 10-15 minute chunks between family obligations, schoolwork, and catnapping, but I managed to finish it using almost the minimum number of exits. Unfortunately, I accidentally went out of the normal exit of the Donut Secret Ghost House, and promptly decided to continue to do so everytime I needed to save, so my runthrough was far from efficient.

The pleasant surprise was the obvious care that went into the path I took. It was far from impossible to take the path I did, but the challenge was ratcheted up slowly until the penultimate level, which all but dared you to turn around and go explore the main path further. It's rare to see that much love put into any product, much less a video game.

Next up: I may see how many exits I can get without using a Yoshi. Wish me luck.

le geek
09-04-2007, 07:24 AM
OK finally beat the 3rd Castle, that wizard guy kept tripping me up, the rest of the level was easy (go fig)...

Anyway the level BEFORE the 3rd castle with it's desaturated twilight and Bullet Bills is pretty sweet and you can start to see that the SNES' larger color pallet can be put to good use.

Cheers,
Ben

Balrog
09-04-2007, 07:56 AM
It's sick that I remember all the secret exits in each stage. The animations after I finish one of the castles is a nice detail I forgot about though.

Brickroad
09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Has anyone ever beaten Tubular on their first try?

Be honest.

MCBanjoMike
09-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey, if they didn't want you using flying Yoshi, they wouldn't have put any Koopas or their shells in the level.

I'm just sayin'.

Damn straight. Anyway, is it even possible to use the cape to fly up to the secret exit of Star Road 5? I'd like to see a video of that on Youtube or something...

Be honest.

Yesterday it took me about 6 or 7 attempts before I got it. I can't decide whether Tubular or Awesome (4th special stage) is the hardest level in the game. Anyone else have a nominee?

Brickroad
09-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Damn straight. Anyway, is it even possible to use the cape to fly up to the secret exit of Star Road 5? I'd like to see a video of that on Youtube or something...

Is that the one where you're supposed to use a big coin bridge in the sky? Or the one where you're supposed to make a long platform out of switch blocks? Because I believe both are possible with a cape alone (although very tricky).

Violentvixen
09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I put in my cartridge and evidently someone erased all my save files.

I had the alternate world and everything *sob*. Although to be honest, I thought the alternate world was kinda dumb-looking and wanted to switch back anyway. But still, boo.

Shadax
09-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Be honest.
Not in the least. In fact, a few Fourth of Julys ago, about 80 lives were spent on Tubular as I passed it back and forth between my friend and his extended family, everyone giving it a shot before shrugging and passing it on to the next person.

Dart Zaidyer
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Tubular is, was, and will always be the hardest level in the entire game. after so many years and so many deaths I started looking for other ways to beat it, and then I found one: Bring a blue yoshi. Using the P Switch, it's quite possible to take Yoshi as far as the first flying koopa. If you're fast, and can avoid the fireballs from the volcano plants, you can show Tubular who's boss.

Calorie Mate
09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Playing old Mario games kind of makes me sad about Nintendo's current ability to produce a great soundtrack. Crossing my fingers for Mario Galaxy.

vaterite
09-04-2007, 01:56 PM
The game is a monstrosity of level design.

It presents you with an existential crisis right of the bat. Do I waste time going after the switch palace (and begin the entire game by moving to the left!) or head off towards the castle, and victory. I feel like I can't adequately describe how odd it is to go in the wrong direction as the very first thing.

Anonymooo
09-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I played Tubular again for the first time in years, and GOD AL-FREAKIN-MIGHTY it's as hard as I remember it and then some. Today's gamers are spoiled, old people rule.

MCBanjoMike
09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Is that the one where you're supposed to use a big coin bridge in the sky? Or the one where you're supposed to make a long platform out of switch blocks? Because I believe both are possible with a cape alone (although very tricky).

It's the one where you need to make the coin bridge to the sky, but that only works if you've hit all the switch blocks. You need to get up to a small platform that has both the key and the keyhole, but the opening to get in is only one block wide. I didn't try it, but it looks like it would be really tough with the cape.

As for Tubular, I've played the game so many times that I have my route completely planned out. It's still pretty hard, but I no longer need dozens of lives to complete it like I used to.

Man, I freaking love this game.

sillbot
09-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Sweet, sweet Tubular. I wonder how much of my lower brain has been allocated to navigating its freakishly difficult wiles with little effort. Many people use this space to master piano or snowboarding. Not me. I honestly only died twice this time around.

Alastor
09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
It's the one where you need to make the coin bridge to the sky, but that only works if you've hit all the switch blocks. You need to get up to a small platform that has both the key and the keyhole, but the opening to get in is only one block wide. I didn't try it, but it looks like it would be really tough with the cape.

It's fairly easy if you use the cape to squeeze in there. Just get a running start from the platform directly beneath the keyhole.

I have just fully completed the Forest of Illusion for the first time ever. Victory!

Kishi
09-04-2007, 07:15 PM

Be honest.

The last time I played through the game, yeah. I surprised even myself, but I guess all those years of being tortured by it finally paid off.

I can't decide whether Tubular or Awesome (4th special stage) is the hardest level in the game. Anyone else have a nominee?

Outrageous is the hardest level, although Soda Lake is a close second. I was none too pleased to see that Torpedo Ted is making his return in Super Mario Galaxy.

MCBanjoMike
09-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Outrageous is the hardest level, although Soda Lake is a close second. I was none too pleased to see that Torpedo Ted is making his return in Super Mario Galaxy.

Just to prove you wrong, I just ran back to my SNES and played through Outrageous without even sitting down. Nailed it first try, without too much difficulty, starting as mini Mario. I wasn't sure if I found it easy last time because I started out with Yoshi and the cape, but nope, still not (very) hard without them. Personally, I don't think it holds a candle to second half of Awesome (or really any part of Tubular). But if you can finish Tubular in one take, then we obviously have different strengths in this game.

Of course, since I'd finished the special stages, this time all of the Bullet Bills were replaced with Pidgets. God I love this game.

le geek
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Made it to Star Road 4 (my first) and figured out that I need either a blue Yoshi on I need to find some more switches...

This game is really growing on me...

Cheers,
Ben

Sanagi
09-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Tubular is the hardest level even with a blue Yoshi, that's how sick it is.

juanfrugalj
09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Outrageous... is that the forest level? It was fairly difficult, but the cape saved me the trouble most of the time. Funny, in 1994 I didn't know that word and pronounced it as if it were in Spanish.

That level, Soda Lake, Tubular and Chocolate Island 2 were the most memorable. It took me years to fully understand the variables for the multiple exits on that one.

spineshark
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I haven't played this game in 12 years. I don't have a tv at my dorm *still* so I've decided to take the shady path through this one.

I have to admit, I've never been a huge Mario fan, but I did beat SMB 1, 2, 3, Land, Yoshi's Island and NSMB anyway. So I guess I'll go for this one too. It feels like my first time since it's been so long, and I have to say, there's something great about when I pull off a crazy sequence of dodges and jumps that I wouldn't have believed possible.

But man, crush deaths. =( I'm ok with the idea basically, but...when the level design revolves around it (like the second castle) it's really just annoying. As long as there's nothing like NSMB's 8-Tower2 I think I can take this game on.

Sanagi
09-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I'd say the next hardest level is the Chocolate Island fortress, with all the high-speed giant spikey pillars.

MCBanjoMike
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Edit: Hmm... I don't know how you'd get the alt route in vanilla secret 1 without a blue yoshi or switch block.

You can just fly there with the cape, actually, no secret to it. I also managed to make it up to Star Road 5's secret exit with the cape, so that's another little personal challenge out of the way.

I'm trying to remember, but it seems to me that there are more blue shells in the game once you've completed the secret levels. Can anyone confirm or deny? That will make it hard to try for completion without resorting to blue yoshis...

Kishi
09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Flying over the nigh-endless lava pool full of jumping fireballs at the end of the Forest of Illusion Fortress is up there, too.

sillbot
09-04-2007, 10:06 PM
How about single most difficult feat in the game?

In the secret exit to the valley ghost house, I originally thought the only way to get to the door was to fly in the hole while ducking. This takes some pretty incredible timing not only to fly while ducking, but right into the hole. And after 800 tries I got in there.

ProfessorS
09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I think the best part of Super Mario World is blazing through the levels as fast as possible. With liberal use of the cape and Yoshi(thanks to the sacrifice jump and his hard boots), you can make every level look like a speed run. I can't play through the game without taking my finger off the run button anymore.

Random memory: The first time I saw SMW in real life was in Wal-Mart right after it came out. They didn't have a SNES demo station up yet, so they just hooked up a SNES to a TV in the middle of electronics. But for some reason, they didn't put the controllers up, so all you could do was watch the opening demo of SMW run. The best part was that there was this kid there who seemed HYPNOTIZED by the game. I looked at his hands and his thumbs were twitching as if he was holding a controller. Amazing.

Brickroad
09-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Random memory: The first time I saw SMW in real life was in Wal-Mart right after it came out. They didn't have a SNES demo station up yet, so they just hooked up a SNES to a TV in the middle of electronics. But for some reason, they didn't put the controllers up, so all you could do was watch the opening demo of SMW run. The best part was that there was this kid there who seemed HYPNOTIZED by the game. I looked at his hands and his thumbs were twitching as if he was holding a controller. Amazing.

Hi, nice to see you again.

How about single most difficult feat in the game?

In the secret exit to the valley ghost house, I originally thought the only way to get to the door was to fly in the hole while ducking. This takes some pretty incredible timing not only to fly while ducking, but right into the hole. And after 800 tries I got in there.

I've done that! Good times.

I remember spending hours and hours trying to get across the lava lake at the end of Forest Fortress, thinking there was a second exit there, before I learned how to really fly with the cape for reals. It probably took me fifty lives to finally make it across, and I was greeted by... a few 1ups and the same boss fight. Rawr.

I really hate the second castle designed around the premise of a single moving platform navigating its way through dozens of obstacles. Not because it's hard or anything, but just because I usually get bored and start futzing around on the platform, causing me to make a stupid mistake and plummet to my death. Then I have to start the level over. I guess I could just skip that level but, you know, *96.

Red Hedgehog
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
So I've never really played Super Mario World before. I toyed around with it when I picked up a SNES four years ago and played around a little bit with the GBA version but I never really gave it a shot. My other secret shame is that I have never actually beaten the first Super Mario Bros.

Anyway, I decided to play through the game, attempting to get all the exits, without looking at a FAQ or anything. In a few hours last night, I had gotten to Forest of Illusions 3, reached the Star Road, and unlocked the path to the Special World.

From that, I think I'm going to fall into the camp that Super Mario Bros. 3 was a more innovative game. Not that it's better. They are both very well done and near-perfectly executed platformers. But the raccoon tail and different suits in 3 seem a lot more exciting to me than the Cape and Yoshis of World. I do like that the cape has subtle flying controls, but I'm just not that into Yoshi. Both games have some great level design, but so far lack of giant world and Kuribo's shoe gives 3 the nod for me.

Beyond just great level designs and tight play control, there are a lot of details that Super Mario World does very well. The way that the overworld changes and evolves when you beat levels is something I absolutely love. The relative non-linearity and sense of exploration is great too. And there are lots of great little touches sprinkled around.

Anyway, when I left off last night, I was having trouble finding the alternate exit to Forest of Illusions 3. I then got extremely frustrated attempting to reach the alternate exit of Cheese Bridge - I guess I need to master using the cape. I guess I could also take on Gnarly, but I want to save that for later.

cortbassist89
09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I once tricked my way to the last level by using only the Star Roads.

Of course, my SNES decided it didn't want to read my cartridge right, so in my continual resetting of the system to make it work, by the time the cart would work my file had been erased.

I was a sad panda.

Eusis
09-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't think my cart even works anymore. I do have the GBA version, but haven't really felt like starting a new game of that. I might muck around a little though.

sillbot
09-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Back in the 90s, after dying for the millionth time I hastily ripped the cartridge from the SNES and flung it against the wall (because it was blatantly cheating). The plastic casing shattered, but the PCB remained intact. With profound remorse, I stuck the PCB into the cartridge slot... and it worked fine. It still works even after all these years.

Later, I did the same thing with my own glasses with less luck.

juanfrugalj
09-05-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to remember, but it seems to me that there are more blue shells in the game once you've completed the secret levels. Can anyone confirm or deny?

True. Some regular Koopas (and lone shells) are changed to the blue variety.

Sanagi
09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Anyway, when I left off last night, I was having trouble finding the alternate exit to Forest of Illusions 3. I then got extremely frustrated attempting to reach the alternate exit of Cheese Bridge - I guess I need to master using the cape. I guess I could also take on Gnarly, but I want to save that for later.
What I do is fly there with Yoshi and a cape, glide under the goal, and then jump off Yoshi's back.

*a quick google later...* Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSQJFsYB_k

Calorie Mate
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
True. Some regular Koopas (and lone shells) are changed to the blue variety.

This reminds me...playing through SMW after playing Mario 3 (which I'm pretty sure 99% of us did) was awesome, because before you'd run through the levels and find secrets along the way, but with SMW, suddenly - in addition to the usual secrets, etc. - you'd have instances where you'd see a random shell placed somewhere, and literally stop to investigate just why it was where it was, often times either finding an alternate path or, at the very least, a trick to get a tons of 1ups.

I don't think I'm really explaining what I mean correctly, but SMW sort of represented the differences between "secrets" and "secrets, plus secrets for people that already know the secrets". As an impressionable young lad, it was very cool, and I still enjoy it to this day.

Ghost from Spelunker
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I thought I had ALL the levels cleared (except for the switch palaces), but it says on my file "90." Are switch palaces really worth 1.5 exits? (Playing the SNES version)

There is one switch palace I almost hit, seen in this review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgTZdQ-u5Hc

le geek
09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Made it to the final level after going back and finding a few more switch boxes and going back to Star Road 4. Made it as far as the disco ball before calling it a night...

Cheers,
Ben

Dart Zaidyer
09-05-2007, 10:32 PM
If you're looking for more goals, notice that levels marked by red dots are the ones with secret exits. Also, ghost houses ALWAYS have secret exits, except for that one in Vanilla Dome.
Regular exits in Star World also count, even though it looks like they don't.

Also, an anecdote: Does anyone remember the "ten million points" trick? All you have to do is jump on yellow Wigglers in a successive chain to build up to massive points, extra lives and hundreds of coins. 1up, 2up, 3up, 15dr, flower-chunk-x-baseball... Good times. They took it out of the GBA version, sadly.

Ghost from Spelunker
09-05-2007, 11:42 PM
I just redid all the wimpy Star World exits, saved, and no extra points. If I don't see any unaltered parts of the map, I'll have to start a new game and see how many points I get after the yellow and green switch palaces.

The most rewarding secret exit to get: Vanilla Dome 1, no Yoshi of any kind, just your cape and the magic of a spin jump flight. Spin jump the buzzy beetles and they won't respawn.

By the way, has there ever been a Mario game where the Koopalings in-game sprites were actually colored correctly (basing all my Koopaling knowledge from the Mario 3 NES manual)? It's like I'm playing Super-Mario-in-Colorized-Daily-Newspaper-Comic-Strips-World.

MCBanjoMike
09-06-2007, 07:26 AM
What about the ghost house exits in the forest? There's a spot in there where one of the exits just takes you back to the previous stage, as I recall.

TheSL
09-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Since I know this game inside and out, I decided last night to go the fastest route to the special world and just play through them so I actually get to enjoy the alternate monsters(since I didn't beat them until last when I was a kid). So far I'm about 1/3 of the way through the stages there without any of the switch palaces having been hit.

toastcrumb
09-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Also, an anecdote: Does anyone remember the "ten million points" trick? All you have to do is jump on yellow Wigglers in a successive chain to build up to massive points, extra lives and hundreds of coins. 1up, 2up, 3up, 15dr, flower-chunk-x-baseball... Good times. They took it out of the GBA version, sadly.

And how gutted I was when I found that out!

I got SMW bundled with my UK SNES when I was 10 years old. Since then I've got myself a US machine (UK games ran 17.5% slower and some had ugly borders). I purchased the Japanese version of SMW for the excellent boxart, and was fortunate enough to get it autographed by Shigs himself when he came to London. Only had to get out of bed at 4am to queue...

One thing I loved about Mario 3 was the variety of different suits. Does anyone else miss their ditching in SMW? I loved that raccoon ears and tail!

le geek
09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Alrighty!

Beat Bowser after a few tries with 44 exits. This is the first 2D Mario I've "beaten" (for the record, I never really took to Super Mario 2). Now to go back and get all 96 exits, which I imagine will be a whole different animal...

Cheers,
Ben

Zef
09-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I'd just like to take a moment to remind y'all to let the Special World map music play for a few minutes.

That is all.

vaterite
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Good call Zef, I remember just leaving the game on that screen for hours as a kid. And Calorie Mate, I think you've got it totally right. This game was (kind of like Mario64) all about the joy of playing it. The simple, but brilliant, decision to let you replay a world as many times as you wanted, was integral to the secret exit design, but also made you feel in control of the game. It wasn't all about objectives, it was a little about living in Mario's world, and just having fun messing around, finding all the neat little things they planned. It still disturbs me that your second item mysteriously disappears when you go through a keyhole.

Red Hedgehog
09-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Grr, figuring out the pattern of how to get to different places in Chocolate Island 2 is driving me crazy!

Sanagi
09-07-2007, 04:53 AM
I'd just like to take a moment to remind y'all to let the Special World map music play for a few minutes.

That is all.
I used to have a savestate so I could listen to this whenever I wanted to.
Good call Zef, I remember just leaving the game on that screen for hours as a kid. And Calorie Mate, I think you've got it totally right. This game was (kind of like Mario64) all about the joy of playing it. The simple, but brilliant, decision to let you replay a world as many times as you wanted, was integral to the secret exit design, but also made you feel in control of the game. It wasn't all about objectives, it was a little about living in Mario's world, and just having fun messing around, finding all the neat little things they planned. It still disturbs me that your second item mysteriously disappears when you go through a keyhole.
Playing the GBA version, I miss the ability to spit out the key after opening the keyhole with Yoshi. There was something comical about it the way the key glitchily floats there, and how sometimes the sound effect would be weird.

phrankster
09-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Super Mario World is quite possibly my favourite game in the world. When my brother got a Super Nes we saw it as the game to distract us until we could get Streetfighter II. Gradually the superior quality music and sense of discovering things made me love it more and more. I think I've completed it about seven times now, always on a real SNES machine, and it never gets old. The graphics and sound to me still feel impressive. The layout, the little toys, tools and tricks you get always feel exhilirating. It's just a lovely lovely game that knows how to punish you without annoying you.

Zef
09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Playing the GBA version, I miss the ability to spit out the key after opening the keyhole with Yoshi. There was something comical about it the way the key glitchily floats there, and how sometimes the sound effect would be weird.
Hee, I'm not the only one who does that! :D Yeah, it was funny when instead of the "pew" sound you'd get a drawn out "peeeooowww."

Ghost from Spelunker
09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
So you all know that Yoshi can eat Blarggs, right?

Red Hedgehog
09-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Last night I played a bunch more Super Mario World and have done almost everything besides tackle Bowser's castle.

I went through all the Special level. I like that they were all challenging, yet beatable after a few tries. I think I used about 30 lives getting through them. Tubular, Way Cool, and Mondo (I think - the one with the pipes, the ice surface, and the forest level) were clearly the most difficulty. The whole change to fall and with characters was a nice touch, but once the novelty wears off, I prefer the original character sprites.

My exit count is at 90 and looking at the map, I think I can see every area that I need to find the alternate exit for. This assumes beating Bowser's castle gives you one. Now finding all the rest of these exits without a FAQ will be a feat. Especially Chocolate Island 2 where it has something to do with my coins and time.

Zef
09-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Yes, and it's scary how he's just a head and neck :(

Alex Scott
09-07-2007, 03:11 PM
The last exit I found was the one in the Valley Ghost House, where the only way to get to the key seems to be to stay as little Mario, activate that coin trail, and use a P switch to turn it into blocks. If I hadn't thought of it, I wouldn't have even looked there for it.

My other two files each have 95, so I guess I should try getting those taken care of, too.

Tomm Guycot
09-07-2007, 04:19 PM
FUNFACT: in the SuperFami version Yoshi can eat the dolphins, but in the SNES version he cannot.

I think they put it back into the GBA one.

BrianC
09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
FUNFACT: in the SuperFami version Yoshi can eat the dolphins, but in the SNES version he cannot.

I think they put it back into the GBA one.

Yeah they did, and Yoshi's also called a "Super Dragon" in the GBA one just like he is in the original Japanese version (which is awesome).

Zef
09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
There's a joke about the Japanese whaling industry in there, but I'm not gonna be the one to make it.

juanfrugalj
09-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Coincidentally, there's a fanboyish complaint about transcultural censorship in there, and I just made a bad joke about it.

Please don't turn this into one of those Pit of Flames gags.

Kishi
09-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I think the dolphin-eating was removed because it could potential screw you over, since the dolphins served as platforms and all.

juanfrugalj
09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah, that sounds like the most reasonable, uh... reason. Then again, when are teenage video game enthusiasts reasonable?

Anyway, in order not to hijack this thread, I have a question:
Star Special #1 - Gnarly

How do I get the trapped Dragon Coins in the second section of the level? It has bothered me for years.

dosboot
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
You yoshi jump to it from underneath:

Bring yoshi and a cape. To get yoshi to the 2nd part have him swallow the blue koopa on the other side of the tall divider. Hit the blue P block in the second part. While dismounted, use your cape spin to hit the ?-block staircase. Since the p-block is still activated this turns them into coins. Now you ride yoshi and float towards the pipe. After you fall below the screen you have to dismount yoshi when you are under the platform. You find a bunch of 1-ups there. The silver pipe doesn't lead anywhere.

edit: Actually I guess you don't need to mess with the p-block, since if you don't hit it there aren't any ?-blocks in your way.

sillbot
09-08-2007, 10:26 PM
The last exit I found was the one in the Valley Ghost House, where the only way to get to the key seems to be to stay as little Mario, activate that coin trail, and use a P switch to turn it into blocks. If I hadn't thought of it, I wouldn't have even looked there for it.

Somewhat easier: you can fly up and when you reach the ceiling next to the wall of the area with the secret door, let go of your buttons to escape flying mode, hold right and your feet will catch on the ledge. If you hold down right as your feet catch you will squat and remain stationary on the ledge. Then it's just a matter of jumping while ducking into the area with the door.

On second thought... that doesn't sound easy. Maybe I should try it your way.

Rosencrantz
09-08-2007, 11:17 PM
I was playing this last night and realized something: the majority of enemies in this game that weren't from previous games never really made it into any of the other Mario games, did they? Marios 2 (USA) and 3 each added new enemies that have stuck around in future games, but barely any from Mario World.

Wiggler (http://www.mariowiki.com/Wiggler) would have to be one of the few exceptions - he's been in practically everything since his first appearance.

Alastor
09-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Very true, but I'm personally not complaining that Chargin' Chuck never made any more appearances in the series. All these years, and I've always hated that guy.

shivam
09-09-2007, 12:40 AM
so i plugged in my ps2 controller and started playing this for real, and man, i suck balls at platformers now. it's been too long.

Eusis
09-09-2007, 12:58 AM
I just messed around a little with my old save, then started a new game and saved and quit after losing Yoshi on 1-1. GBA version by the way.

dosboot
09-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Very true, but I'm personally not complaining that Chargin' Chuck never made any more appearances in the series. All these years, and I've always hated that guy.

The chucks were in Yoshi's Island, weren't they?

Sanagi
09-09-2007, 03:23 AM
What else was new in SMW? The sleeping fish? The urchins?

Oh, that reminds me, in case anyone doesn't know: You can hold up or down while swimming in order to change how quickly you tread water. This makes water levels much easier.

Lumber Baron
09-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Did anyone read the EGM review of the GBA release of SMW?

In a side column they had a challenge: play through Outrageous starting as little Mario (or little Luigi, if you're weird like me) and beat the stage without collecting any power-ups along the way. Took me 70-odd tries.

Sanagi
09-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Argh. Tubular is even harder on the GBA because of the aspect ratio. It has to scroll up and down more and you can't always see where you're going.

Sanagi
09-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Did anyone read the EGM review of the GBA release of SMW?

In a side column they had a challenge: play through Outrageous starting as little Mario (or little Luigi, if you're weird like me) and beat the stage without collecting any power-ups along the way. Took me 70-odd tries.
Tried it a few times... Yeah, that's a pain in the butt, especially because the foreground makes it hard to see where the enemies are. More annoyance than I'm feeling up to at the moment.

estragon
09-09-2007, 06:46 AM
What else was new in SMW? The sleeping fish? The urchins?

Uhhh, Big Boo and Big Bullet Bill? Do those count?

Yeah, probably not.

Kishi
09-09-2007, 06:55 AM
The puffer fish, the caped Koopa Troopa, all the dinosaurs (except for Rex, who made a showing in Paper Mario), the jumping Piranha Plant, Monty Mole, Mega Mole, the Sumo Bros., those weird indestructible things on the ziplines...et al.

MCBanjoMike
09-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Finished! 92 exits and no switch palaces, I think that's the first time I've tried doing that. Man, Super Mario World is my happy place.

Lumber Baron
09-09-2007, 01:00 PM
The puffer fish, the caped Koopa Troopa, all the dinosaurs (except for Rex, who made a showing in Paper Mario), the jumping Piranha Plant, Monty Mole, Mega Mole, the Sumo Bros., those weird indestructible things on the ziplines...et al.
Don't forget Renzor.

SlimJimm
09-09-2007, 03:07 PM

I didnt think he could in the SNES version.

I think I miss the Koopa Kids. Bowser Jr just doesnt cut it.

Alex Scott
09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Don't forget Renzor.
For years, I was sure Trent Reznor got his name from SMW.

But according to Wikipedia, it's his real name. Go figure.

Rosencrantz
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM

I think I miss the Koopa Kids. Bowser Jr just doesnt cut it.

I don't think ANYBODY likes Bowser Jr. Nintendo: Koopa Kids or nothing, please.

Also, if you haven't - play Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's probably the Kids' final (if minor) appearance.

estragon
09-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Oh, he could. I definitely did it.

Zodar
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't think ANYBODY likes Bowser Jr. Nintendo: Koopa Kids or nothing, please.

Also, if you haven't - play Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's probably the Kids' final (if minor) appearance.

actually, the KK gang was set to be in super princess peach, they had sprites and everything, but were tragically cut

but yeah, bowser jr. is annoying and dumb compared to that gaggle of loons

spineshark
09-10-2007, 01:20 AM
So I got to Ludwig's castle, and he's apparently launching fireballs at me or something, which I can't see. Oh well, I got what I paid for and deserved, at any rate. T_T

Alastor
09-10-2007, 10:59 AM
You know the koopa kids I really hate? The two that you have to push off a see-sawing platform. I'm terrible at those, even today.

Violentvixen
09-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm liking this game a lot better than when I first played it. I think I'm a lot more patient now and can understand the level design a lot better. I'm finding secret exits that I never found before with minimal effort. The game lends itself nicely to making up your own challenges (one of my favorite pastimes on SNES) and I'd really forgotten just how great it looks.

I prefer Sonic overall, but this game has really moved up on my list.

But I still hate the Forest of Illusion and Ghost Houses.

juanfrugalj
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Forest of Illusion is the greatestest area. Its theme alone is proof of this.

cartman414
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
You know the koopa kids I really hate? The two that you have to push off a see-sawing platform. I'm terrible at those, even today.

I always found those ones easy. You just have to know when to go aggro on them.

dosboot
09-10-2007, 11:05 PM
When fighting the seesaw koopa kids there is something that seems so obvious in retrospect but didn't occur to me until just this last playthrough. When you start the battle the koopa kid is already near the right edge. If you just wait for the seesaw you can kill him in something like 2 jumps.

Red Hedgehog
09-10-2007, 11:48 PM
In before the lock, I finished the game tonight with my save file showing *96. Yay!

Granted I had to look up how to find the alternate exits to Chocolate Island 2, Valley of Bowser 2... and Donut Ghost House (yeah, brain fart on that one). But it was quite enjoyable and now I don't have to say I have never played SUper Mario World.

Parish
09-13-2007, 10:52 AM
So... everyone's done, then?