PDA

View Full Version : How To Shoot Your Own Foot: Sony's Firmware Updates

Positronic Brain
09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Dear people at Sony: all those comments about how now that there was a functional jailbreak exploit maybe the next firmware would disable USB? All those comments were jokes. You were not supposed to take them seriously.

My PS3 is still at firmware 3.15 because I wasn't ready to give up Other OS. I was planning to update this week - I'm upgrading to a new HD - when I heard the news of the newest firmware disabling some USB controllers. I don't have any 3rd party controllers, only a 3rd party PS2 memory card adapter I don't really use anymore, but this hard stance Sony is taking against firmware exploits make me distrust any other future updates.

Sure, maybe Sony didn't really foresaw their newest update breaking 3rd party compatibility, but I'm skeptical.

Thoughts?

ArugulaZ
09-25-2010, 04:02 PM
They're saying that the new update was intended to block counterfeit Dual Shock controllers. The USB Saturn controller that Sega made for PCs is still supposed to work on firmware 3.50, but if the hackers keep at it I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if compatibility with that joypad was the next to go.

One of the things I actually like about the PS3 is that it was originally designed with an open architecture, so you can use your own hard drives and controllers. Don't ruin that for me, Sony. The day that the PS3 stops working with my Saturn pad is the day Kaz Hirai has to consult his proctologist about the oversized game system lodged in his ass.

nadia
09-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Sony's firmware bullshit has given me a good idea about why the PSP isn't ripping up the handheld market like a T-rex.

TRUE STORY FOLLOWS!

ME: "Well, I haven't played my PSP for a while, but I finally have a chance to open up Final Fantasy: Dissidia. I think I'll play it for a few minutes before I go to sleep."

PSP: "Update your hardware, plz."

ME: "Ugh, fine. Wait, what--"

PSP: "Your battery needs to be charged before you can do this shit."

ME: "But my AC adapter is plugged in!"

PSP: "Too bad, lol."

ME: "Screw this, I'm playing my DS."

Kayin
09-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I pretty much went for a ps3 because of the ease of use for usb to ps2 adapters. It's been really nice for letting peoples old joysticks still work. Now it's a bunch of BS. I still have working adaptors but if this keeps going I'm just going to hack things and be done with it.

Kirin
09-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Shit, what? Yeah, now I'm worried about my multiple USB->PS2 adaptors that I've been using for DDR but haven't plugged in in a while. Ugh.

Spuuky
09-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Shit, what? Yeah, now I'm worried about my multiple USB->PS2 adaptors that I've been using for DDR but haven't plugged in in a while. Ugh.This is one of the many reasons it makes way more sense to just play Stepmania on the PC.

O..O~
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I love when I buy a game for the ps3 and I get all eager to take it home to play. Then when I get home it turns into
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/08/500x_custom_1281475452037_ps3updates.jpg
after I put the disc in

Harvey
09-26-2010, 11:34 AM
PSP: "Your battery needs to be charged before you can do this shit."

ME: "But my AC adapter is plugged in!"

PSP: "Too bad, lol."

I charged the goddamn thing right before I played it last, and I only played it for, like five minutes! And now it's low, and has to sit for five hours to charge. That's the only thing about the PSP (aside from the uncomfortable analog... thing that I, for four years, thought was just a flimsy speaker) I dislike.

I rarely play current generation home console games, so I'm not too bothered by what Sony's doing.

Thinaran
09-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm most annoyed about Sony removing the possibility for non-US citizens to buy stuff off the US PSN store in a patch. I'm glad I got Symphony of the Night while I could, but now my friend can't.

Hey Sony, I AM GIVING YOU MONEY. Why don't you want it?

Traumadore
09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I charged the goddamn thing right before I played it last, and I only played it for, like five minutes! And now it's low, and has to sit for five hours to charge.

Did you leave it sleeping for a week or something? You might just need a new battery. It should charge up much faster than it takes to run it back down. Charging should be less than an hour.

teekun
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I love when I buy a game for the ps3 and I get all eager to take it home to play. Then when I get home it turns into
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/08/500x_custom_1281475452037_ps3updates.jpg
after I put the disc in

Solution: log out of the PSN.

I get that these updates are annoying, but you are never, ever, forced to update a game unless you want to play it online. I gladly welcome a completely open system that allows developers to patch and update their games whenever the hell they want to, as opposed to Microsofts system which limits the number of updates they can release without charging for them.

Anyways, the USB thing is crap though. Apparently there's also a chance some unauthorized USB devices may now explode? http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/

Zef
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm most annoyed about Sony removing the possibility for non-US citizens to buy stuff off the US PSN store in a patch. I'm glad I got Symphony of the Night while I could, but now my friend can't.

Hey Sony, I AM GIVING YOU MONEY. Why don't you want it?

Wait wait wait wait.

What?

I do this! I have a US-linked account to buy PSN stuff! D: Did/will they remove this ability like Microsoft did? Will I have to create a third PSN account for the privilege of giving Sony money?

Thinaran
09-27-2010, 05:57 AM
South America is probably in the clear, Sony just hates Europe. Try going into the Store on your US PSN account and see if you get an error message that requires you to remove your billing info.

liquid
09-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Man, I hope you can still buy Japanese stuff. Now that LSD is on PSN I was actually thinking of it.

Kirin
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I think I've been into the Japanese store after the last update, it seems fine. Though, I didn't actually buy anything (was just downloading TGS videos), so I can't guarantee that works.

This is one of the many reasons it makes way more sense to just play Stepmania on the PC.

Would work better if I had a PC. (I don't think there's a decent Mac version, is there?) Fortunately, Konami is finally releasing a PS3 native DDR w/mat this fall. Hopefully my PS2 games will be compatible with it...