PDA

View Full Version : The dorkiest gaming-related things you've done.

blinkpen
09-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Let's fess up our dark secrets to one-another, brothers and sisters. What incredibly dorky things have you done in service of videogamery?

Me? When I played Final Fantasy VII I would read all of the dialogue out loud. As in loud enough for other people in the house to hear me. And I would do distinct voices for each of the characters. Including Barret. Including the women. I voice-acted my own game.

I tried to do this for Xenogears but I think it eventually gave me a sore throat.

McClain
09-25-2010, 04:10 PM
When I was young I went to school dressed up as Link.

Granted, it was Halloween and I wasn't the only kid in costume, but I was BY FAR the dorkiest costume. This was way back before everyone knew what Zelda was, and I just looked like a kid dressed up as a green elf with a sword.

blinkpen
09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah, I should stress that I was a teenager in high school when I did mine.

nadia
09-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Wrote a Mario fanfic as a creative writing assignment in grade six. Read it out loud to the class.

Luckily, everybody loved it.

SpoonyGundam
09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
In one of my English classes in high school, we were supposed to write a literary analysis comparing The Jungle with another work.

I picked Metal Gear Solid.

I don't remember what exactly I wrote, but I got an A.

SDMX
09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Stood in line outside a Toys R' Us for a Pokemon download even in my late teens.

...And then again in my mid twenties.

I don't even like that dame game. =\

ZRofel
09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I cosplayed as Hiro from Lunar: Eternal Blue at an anime convention once. I talked my girlfriend into going as Lucia too. I don't know if that makes it more or less dorky.

Also, I once used one of those home t-shirt making kits to make myself an Ogre Battle t-shirt. That's not too dorky in and of itself, I suppose, but some time later I started hitting on a girl before I remembered I was wearing it. Needless to say I wasn't too successful.

McClain
09-25-2010, 04:42 PM
My friend and I used to pretend to be in Nintendo games when we couldn't be playing them. I drove him crazy one time while we were playing Zelda 2 by just being a constant stream of tinsuits (http://www.zeldawiki.org/Tinsuit)(had to look that one up) in the first palace. Even when we played outside we were really nerdy kids.

Wrote a Mario fanfic as a creative writing assignment in grade six. Read it out loud to the class.

So who did who in it?

Red Hedgehog
09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Me? When I played Final Fantasy VII I would read all of the dialogue out loud. As in loud enough for other people in the house to hear me. And I would do distinct voices for each of the characters. Including Barret. Including the women. I voice-acted my own game.

I did this, but for Ninja Gaiden. Because I'm cooler and older than you.

I still do it when I play Ninja Gaiden.

onimaruxlr
09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
A one bad mofo, I generally haven't done anything dorky recently, when I was a runt I stood a girl up once because a X-Men: Children of the Atom cabinet was on free-play

nadia
09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Also, I once used one of those home t-shirt making kits to make myself an Ogre Battle t-shirt. That's not too dorky in and of itself, I suppose, but some time later I started hitting on a girl before I remembered I was wearing it. Needless to say I wasn't too successful.

This made me lol.

So who did who in it?

Aw, I was too shy to even allude to good times between Bowser and his captive princess. But the fanfic was pretty much a parody, with a surprising amount of swearing in it. I still can't believe I got away with it; my teacher at the time was extremely uptight about that sort of thing, but she loved the story.

onimaruxlr
09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

This reminds me: I once did a walk-through for 1-3 in Super Mario 3. for a speech class where we were suppose to do an instructional speech.

Lucas
09-25-2010, 05:11 PM
For one of my high school English term papers we had to write a short story incorporating elements of all the novels we'd read that quarter. Mine involved a magic academy student loosely very loosely based on the main character from Ogre Battle 64 getting drunk in the middle of a fantasy-world carnival; the title page was decorated with the Harvest Moon farmer's drunk sprite staggering around the border of the paper. The teacher loved it.

(I painstakingly ripped the sprite myself from screenshots taken in an emulator - I don't think it ever occurred to me look for a sprite repository online.)

I'm also thinking of trying my hand at some novel-length Warhammer 40K fanfic for NaNoWriMo.

cool onion
09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
In one of my English classes in high school, we were supposed to write a literary analysis comparing The Jungle with another work.

I picked Metal Gear Solid.

I don't remember what exactly I wrote, but I got an A.

at least once i re-wrote a video game plot for middle school english creative writing assignments.

Kazin
09-25-2010, 05:13 PM
In college (*sigh* yes, in effing college) I gave an instructional speech on how to snake in Mario Kart DS. I brought my DS to class, turned on the visualizer, and proceeded to snake around that first track a few times while describing how.

I got an A. I can't believe I did that and didn't feel like a complete idiot.

Zef
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM

For a creative writing assignment, I wrote/drew (the assignment was meant to be a comic) a fanbook for Super Earth Defense Force.

In grade school, I wrote a Final Fantasy (1) fanfic in the vein of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Lukahn the Sage was actually a Red Mage who somehow summoned a van of college-age kids to fill in as the rest of the LWs. Even being 10 years old, I was convinced I could get it published as an actual book! Which explains Worlds of Power and Eragon.

When MM2 came out, I made a styrofoam Mega Man costume complete with styrofoam Robot Master weapon props. I had to weigh down the Metal Blade with silly putty for it to fly right!

I drew lots of MMX fanart in junior high.

Shortly after getting into karate class in junior high, I tried mimicking moves from Street Fighter II and invent my own.

In high-school, I wrote an FF6/Ranma crossover. Which I still want to finish one day. http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-sweatdrop.gif

...along with a more serious, deliberate attempt at an FF6 continuation in the style of Final Fantasy Legacy. http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-psyduck.gif

In college (*sigh* yes, in effing college) I gave an instructional speech on how to snake in Mario Kart DS. I brought my DS to class, turned on the visualizer, and proceeded to snake around that first track a few times while describing how.

Did you credit Brickroad in your bibliography?

And I see that there are still a few of us still interested in fanfic http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-grin.gif Now I don't feel so self-conscious anymore! :D

taosterman
09-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Pretty much all of mine are Mega Man related. I used to draw replicas of the MM2 stage select screen in second grade, and in junior high I was working on fanfic telling the back story of Ballade from the fourth Game Boy game. This fanfic, sadly, is incomplete and lost to time.

Brer
09-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Depending on how you figure it, probably either LARP-ing a couple times (never got into it) in High School, or heavily researching and then writing a multi-page "reboot" of Ra's Al-Ghul's history as part of an application to play him in a superhero-themed MU*. Yes, it was a RP-heavy MU* that required you to write applications and do a role-playing "audition" to get in, which is why it might well trump LARP-ing for dork-value.

Zef
09-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh, and I'm working on a Grand Unification Theory for Shadows/Gods/Personas in the Persona 1 through 4 universe, to post in the Megaten Ghetto thread sometime in the future. I figure that's dorky enough to count!

(And if it doesn't, trying to mix it with mainline Megaten demons certainly does!)

McClain
09-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh, god, in the past year I did a speech on the ESRB for a class.

For the record, I'm 30 and going back to school. Sigh.

mopinks
09-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I had a book report due in my high school English class and ended up hating the book I chose too much to even finish reading it, so at the last minute I decided to do a book report about Xenogears instead.

A+ :cool:

Rosencrantz
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
In first grade, I wrote and illustrated a story about how the Ninja Turtles warped to the Mushroom Kingdom and met Mario. A couple months ago, I filmed a news report about Dragon Quest IX. I'm sure I've done a lot more in between...

Elements
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Hmm... In 8th grade english, every Monday we had to write one sentence using each of that weeks vocabulary words. I made each sentence be about earthbound. I struggled to use the vocabulary words to make each sentence follow the chronological continuity of the game. I did this that whole school year. I think I got to Winters.

In my Calculus class, I would inevitably end up thinking about King of Fighters, and scribble about primes and maximas in my margins, thinking about how if Kyo Kusanagi's DNA is a formula, how you would get the Prime of it. Also, about how if Kula Diamond was the Anti-K', then she was the anti-derivative o Kyo DNA. Yeah...

I novelized the raft scene from Illusion of Gaia during my first year in college.

I had an assignment in a "computing basics" class that amounted to "make a PowerPoint presentation." This sounded boring to me, so I made it be about how to play King of Fighters 2001, going very in-depth with the system. The day everyone was showing theirs, I learned that it had to be about ourselves, apparently. I made a new one that was as good as most before my turn came up. At the time, I was mad. I'm quite happy I didn't get to show it now.

I once dated a girl, initially doing so only because she had a tattoo of Relm from FF VI on her calf, and she told me she owned a NEO*GEO Pocket. Turned out later that she had no idea who Relm was, and had just bought the NGPC on a whim, and almost never played it. She later was showing me some random pics she'd printed from the internet that she liked, and I stopped her on a pic of a blue-haired woman. "Cool, Leona?" My gf looked at me. "Oh, cool, you know who this is?" I shrugged, and pointed behind her, where Leona posed on a King of Fighters '97 wall scroll. I also at one time began forcing her to play through FF6 2-player with me.

Hmm... At one point, I was walking through the mall with my sister, and as we passed the arcade, we saw some folks playing DDR, effectively leaning against the bar behind them as their feet river-danced away. My sister suddenly screamed at them, "My brother doesn't hug the bar!" This may not count? People often get annoyed when they go to the movie with me, because I often insists on stopping by the requisite movie theater lobby arcade. And I always find at least one thing to be excited that they have.

nadia
09-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh hey I just remembered I was very, very late meeting my friends for a movie this one time because I'd reached the endgame in Mega Man X5.

at least once i re-wrote a video game plot for middle school english creative writing assignments.

When I was in grade 7, I wrote a "novel" that borrowed pretty liberally from Dragon Warrior III. It was still original enough; I just took monsters from the game and threw them into my story without any idea of their mythological origins (ie Orochi).

And I see that there are still a few of us still interested in fanfic http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-grin.gif Now I don't feel so self-conscious anymore! :D

Hey, I've been working on a Mega Man X fanfic for ten years, and it's still going!

nadia
09-25-2010, 06:13 PM
tattoo of Relm from FF VI on her calf

Wait, was it Relm's sprite? Or her Amano character artwork? Either way, why would she get a Relm tattoo if she had no idea who the character was? D:

Lucas
09-25-2010, 06:20 PM
She's a poseur! A dork pretender!

Sh3llsh0ck!
09-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I drove down one of Miami Beach's palm-tree-lined freeways in a red sports car to the soundtrack of OutRun 2. But yeah, that's just plain cool, not dorky at all.

McClain
09-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I drove down one of Miami Beach's palm-tree-lined freeways in a red sports car to the soundtrack of OutRun 2. But yeah, that's just plain cool, not dorky at all.

Pssssshhh, call me when you jack a plane while listening to Welcome to the Jungle.

Wheels
09-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Nerdiest thing? Went to buy Final Fantasy Dissidia during the midnight release for Batman: AA.

Michelle
09-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Back in college, I used to belt out the songs from Lunar when I was alone in my dormroom. Two problems with this: (1) I can't sing for shit, and (2) even though my roommate wasn't around, everyone else on my hall could hear me. Did I get made fun of for this? You bet.

Also, when I was a freshman, I worked in housekeeping, so every now and then I'd pick up a broom, hold it like a staff, hum the Final Fantasy VII battle theme and pretend to be Aeris. WHILE PEOPLE WERE AROUND. What was I thinking?

nunix
09-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Because no one has said it yet: hanging out on a video game message board, hur hur.

If we're talking about embarassing fanfic (redundant!), I wrote half of a Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri thing for a contest Firaxis had, but never finished. Each chapter was named, sequentially, after the tracks on this Skinny Puppy album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind:_The_Perpetual_Intercourse).

Dart Zaidyer
09-25-2010, 08:37 PM
When I was a kid, I had a bunch of differently colored toy swords. One of them was orange, with a green hilt, and would light up and make a "kchang!" sound at the press of a button. Many batteries died shooting Awesome Wood Lasers at imaginary foes.

Dhroo
09-25-2010, 09:33 PM
In sixth grade, I had to do this quarter-long(semester-long, maybe?) project for English class where we could do basically any kind of creative writing, which would then be randomly peer reviewed by a few other students out of the entire grade, and then by the teacher himself.

I chose to write Final Fantasy VII fanfiction. Not that I knew that "fanfiction" was a thing at the time...

It generally wasn't well reviewed by other students, possibly because it was this multi-part thing and so most students who read it didn't get to read the whole thing(the peer reviewing being random and all). My teacher loved it, though, giving me an A+ and also displaying it on a bulletin board in the hallway with all the other highest graded stories/poems/etc. I even drew a passable Cloud for a cover page!

For the same project, I also did a pretty cringe-inducing Resident Evil 2 parody, but the less said about that the better.

For the same class, I had an instructional writing assignment, and chose to do mine on "How To Beat the Final Boss in Final Fantasy VII". The only detail I remember is that I stressed the importance of going to the beach to learn Big Guard.

...I was pretty crazy about Final Fantasy VII that year.

Umby
09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I dressed up as Jaffar from Fire Emblem 7 for Halloween. Twice.

nadia
09-25-2010, 10:14 PM

Well, that's excusable. Jaffar is pretty awesome.

O..O~
09-25-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm going as the tenth doctor one day of Halloween weekend this year then the 11th the next night.

I already have costumes for both ready, yes that means I own a brown pinstripe suit.

Tomm Guycot
09-26-2010, 12:15 AM

Similar. In our class, our story had to include "one friend"

My friend was Luigi.

We went to an island. Dinosaur Island.

EDIT:
In College we had to write a paper describing two sides of a debate, or something. I picked the Wind Waker art style uproar.

Also, my Sr. year of HS, we had to make a mural by drawing a pattern in a single triangle that could be connected 6 times to form a circle. I made a really complex FF7 mural with the Shin-Ra logo, Space Bahamut, Meteor, and the Lifestream. It actually turned out really well but that doesn't make it not dorky.

I guess FF7 was a big deal for all of us.

Gredlen
09-26-2010, 12:30 AM
In elementary school, I wrote what was basically Chrono Trigger fanfiction, except as a picture book. It was pretty awesome.

Elements
09-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Wait, was it Relm's sprite? Or her Amano character artwork? Either way, why would she get a Relm tattoo if she had no idea who the character was? D:

The Amano art. She just thought it looked cool I guess. She may or may not have told me she thought it was some kind of fairy.

She's a poseur! A dork pretender!

This.

80 percent of the time I ever go hiking, I'm probably running the FF VI world map music through my head. Possibly the Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition opening song.

Issun
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM

And the rest of the world wasn't?

Me, I'd probably have to point to my copious top _ games lists. I also did a top 1000 rock songs list after finding out the local radio station did one every year and knowing I could make a better one. I did.

I don't make nearly as many top x of x lists anymore.

McClain
09-26-2010, 01:04 AM
And the rest of the world wasn't?

*slowly raises his hand* (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=10188)

Torgo
09-26-2010, 02:06 AM
Three words: Mega Man fanfiction. None of it ever done, but blast it if I still don't think about it, even though events in games since have rendered it all null and void and it's all so terrible.

80 percent of the time I ever go hiking, I'm probably running the FF VI world map music through my head.
Which one? This is important.

TirMcDohl
09-26-2010, 02:56 AM
World of Ruin before you get the airship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqoA6Q5dfGU

nadia
09-26-2010, 04:02 AM
The Amano art. She just thought it looked cool I guess. She may or may not have told me she thought it was some kind of fairy.

I hope you bored her with a long explanation about how Relm is the daughter of a bandit who fell in love with a woman from Thamasda--and that bandit was actually Shadow! And then he left them, and-and-and--

Three words: Mega Man fanfiction. None of it ever done, but blast it if I still don't think about it, even though events in games since have rendered it all null and void and it's all so terrible.

Did you ever put your partially-finished stuff up anywhere? I wonder if I came across it during my more active days in the fandom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqoA6Q5dfGU

If that's not the most depressing song in any RPG, it's certainly up there. Context does help that creeping sense of despair, though.

Elements
09-26-2010, 09:26 AM

No, that's the one I run through my mind when at work.

Alex Scott
09-26-2010, 09:34 AM
When I was in grade school, I tried to write a novelization of Mega Man 3. It was mostly to add the prologue I thought it needed.

I also had a classmate who drew a picture of Woodman for a class thing on protecting trees, and I had to one-up him with my own Woodman picture.

In 2000, I cosplayed as Nida from Final Fantasy VIII at DragonCon. He was the Garden pilot, in case you don't remember. About a year or so later, I went to AWA as Serge from Chrono Cross.

Also, there's the fact that I've drawn things like Cloud in Rocky Horror, Dragonlord as a Scooby Doo villain, and the original robot masters as dating sim girls, and put them online.

MetManMas
09-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Let's see here.....I've read the dialogue to old SNES RPGs out loud with different voices (yes the girls too), I dressed up in a crappy Link costume for Halloween when I was a kid and sang the Zelda theme* with made-up lyrics, and I wrote a paper relating to the terrorist bombing in the opening stages of Final Fantasy VII.**

*No, I don't remember what my made-up lyrics were, but I know they were awful.

**I don't remember the full of the paper I wrote, either.

Dhroo
09-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh man, one I forgot to add: in like, third or fourth grade, I did a book report on the Donkey Kong Country novelization. I think I got a good grade on that one too?

taosterman
09-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Can't believe I forgot this one. For a fifth-grade talent show, I considered my talent to be writing, so I wrote and illustrated a novelization (read: narrative walkthrough) of King's Quest V and presented it in front of all of the school's intermediate grades.

Andrew
09-26-2010, 10:56 AM
and the original robot masters as dating sim girls, and put them online.

Wait, what?

Oscar
09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
When I was about 9, me and my friends used to re-enact moments from the games we were currently playing in the playground. I have vivid memories of acting out Bomberman 64 related things -- we would each assign ourselves a different coloured Bomberman, then when we reached a boss one of us would switch out to play him. It was awesome.

I'm sure there are many other things, but right now my mind is blank.

SlimJimm
09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
When I was like 10 or 12 or something my friends and I would draw out new Mario World and Sonic levels on notebook paper.

McClain
09-26-2010, 11:28 AM
When I was like 10 or 12 or something my friends and I would draw out new Mario World and Sonic levels on notebook paper.

HA! I would have VIVID dreams about playing new areas in the original Zelda. Little did I know that I had invented Zelda Classic. When I discovered it, it was kind of a shock!

breakman
09-26-2010, 11:31 AM
When I was in 4th grade, I played the clarinet, and I briefly (and unsuccessfully) tried to figure out how to play the boss theme from Secret of Mana on it.

Also, before there was ever such a thing as a wiki (I'm guessing; certainly long before I'd ever seen/heard of one) I had an idea for a website that would be an encyclopedia of terms from Mega Man games. I never did much with actual website making, so all it amounted to was a notebook (that I probably still have somewhere) with a big list of characters/enemies/weapons from the series that existed at the time (before Zero and Battle Network), and then short descriptions for the first few dozen or so of them.

Alpha Werewolf
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
The dorkiest gaming thing I ever did... I guess that would be writng an essay about Hatred (don't ask) and using Xemnas' "Anger and Hate...Are supreme" for the main page quote.

I guess I have some dorkiness to catch up on ^_^

Azar
09-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Dorkiest thing I've ever done was print out Animal Crossing patterns of characters to recreate in game sign boards. A friend and I spent hours together making Crono, Sonic, Samus etc. Big fat waste of time, but didn't really spillover into any real-life dorkiness.

Destil
09-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Man, so many of us did this. I did a walkthrough of the last area of Crystalis in 4th grade for some sort of 'instructional speech' project. And my freshman year of college we were supposed to write a paper about some form of alternative media, and I chose Final Fantasy Tactics (and used it as an excuse to play through the game again and count it as 'classwork'.

Belmont
09-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Freshman year in college I wrote the cliche "games as art" paper using Shadow of the Colossus as my center piece. It was a shitty paper and I got a B. Re-reading it last year was both a humble and enlightening experience because my writing skills have vastly improved since then (which was only a few years ago).

Merus
09-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I performed a reading of the opening of the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain for my speech and drama exams.

Do I win?

Tanto
09-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Wait, what?

Here you go (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=704147#post704147), champ.

taosterman
09-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I performed a reading of the opening of the Lost Mind of Dr. Brain for my speech and drama exams.

Do I win?

BiP's opening post is hard to top, but you're way up there, too.

Merus
09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
BiP's opening post is hard to top, but you're way up there, too.
I am not in a habit of reading bip's posts, but I've actually done that as well.

ProfessorS
09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
I wrote several dorky ass papers in college relating to video games. I did one where I examined the subculture of retro game enthusiasts. I also did one where I compared and contrasted arcades and online gaming using Georg Simmel's Metropolis. It actually got an A.

Epithet
09-26-2010, 02:41 PM

Don't forget the clock face plastered with Fire Emblem sprites and Mario printouts and stuff!

Tomm Guycot
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
My Sr. Project (HS) was a portfolio of various stories, poems, essays, etc. that we compiled from English class (I should point out this was required of everyone).

I chose the theme "changes" which in theory was supposed to represent all the variable possibilities a life has after graduating. I wasn't quite as in control of my creative faculties at the time so I'm not sure how well that came across.

However!

For my cover art I printed out a bunch of job classes from FFT. You know, to represent my theme. Sigh : /

One crazy thing that I experienced was going to one of my ex-wife's former-HS color guard competitions. When I was in HS, nerdery was generally frowned upon, while a few years later (when a lot of you grew up) games, anime, etc. were things you could talk about at school openly.

25% of the color guard routines were set to anime/game music. Primarily Final Fantasy and Ghibli. Of course they weren't credited as such, they were just "music". It was fun annoying everyone around me by calling out what anime/game a given song was from.

nadia
09-26-2010, 04:42 PM
I have to wonder if our teachers realised how liberally we ripped off games. I mean, for something like a Mario fanfic it's pretty obvious, but I wonder about the likes of FF VII and King's Quest V.

When I was in 4th grade, I played the clarinet, and I briefly (and unsuccessfully) tried to figure out how to play the boss theme from Secret of Mana on it..

Given that game's discordant mess of a boss theme, you would have been better off trying to imitate a ten car pile-up.

ShakeWell
09-26-2010, 04:52 PM
The dorkiest thing?

This one time, I got a full sleeve tattoo of videogame characters.

True story. It's still not quite finished yet, though. A few characters still need to be colored in.

nadia
09-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

ShakeWell
09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
This one is from '07, when I got the first color work done:

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/ShakeWell138/UprightHalfSleeve4-15-07.jpg

This one is from earlier this year, and represents current progress:

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/ShakeWell138/GoodTattooPic.jpg

Hardly comprehensive, I know, but I don't want to show it off too too much until it's done.

Zef
09-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Well, I don't think anyone's going to top that.

But I don't know how I forgot this one!

The gate itself is also a great spot to start the upcoming walk. And because I'm a huge nerd, I decided to time myself with Burn My Dread ~ Reincarnation. For some reason, I've associated the main song with "long walks" for quite a while now, so, hey, why not?

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/SanFrancisco/100_0263.JPG

Here we go!

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/SanFrancisco/100_0266.JPG

Buuuurn my dread...

(And that is how I took a DEEP BREATH DEEP BREATH and walked up and down Golden Gate Bridge with BABY BABY BABY BABY. I never felt --never never felt never felt-- so mis-er-a-ble...)

Also, today's indoor race up the city's tallest skyscraper was themed after Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. Does it count even if it wasn't my idea?

Olli T
09-27-2010, 12:02 AM
I have to wonder if our teachers realised how liberally we ripped off games. I mean, for something like a Mario fanfic it's pretty obvious, but I wonder about the likes of FF VII and King's Quest V.
The teachers might not know the source, but they'd have to be pretty clueless if they can't tell that you're ripping off something.

Googleshng
09-27-2010, 03:54 AM
You know, I wasn't planning to touch this since basically everything I have ever done in my entire life has been dorky and game related, but I just wasted the last SIX HOURS digging around on youtube to find a clip illustrating that bit in the first Silent Hill where one nurse grabs you and another comes and stabs you in the arm, because some random person just out of the blue sent me a crazy long e-mail questioning the logic of an essay I wrote about Silent Hill 6 or 7 years ago. I was PLANNING to spend all night prepping for a D&D session, but PRIORITIES, you know?

Moirae
09-27-2010, 07:15 AM
The teachers might not know the source, but they'd have to be pretty clueless if they can't tell that you're ripping off something.

This isn't game-related but it is hilarious and relevant to the above post.

In second grade I decided it would be a great idea to rip off the story for this movie:

http://www.homevideos.com/photosSciFi/innerspace.jpeg

It did not go well.

pence
09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
In sixth grade, I had to do this quarter-long(semester-long, maybe?) project for English class where we could do basically any kind of creative writing, which would then be randomly peer reviewed by a few other students out of the entire grade, and then by the teacher himself.

I chose to write Final Fantasy VII fanfiction. Not that I knew that "fanfiction" was a thing at the time...

It generally wasn't well reviewed by other students, possibly because it was this multi-part thing and so most students who read it didn't get to read the whole thing(the peer reviewing being random and all). My teacher loved it, though, giving me an A+ and also displaying it on a bulletin board in the hallway with all the other highest graded stories/poems/etc. I even drew a passable Cloud for a cover page!

For the same project, I also did a pretty cringe-inducing Resident Evil 2 parody, but the less said about that the better.

For the same class, I had an instructional writing assignment, and chose to do mine on "How To Beat the Final Boss in Final Fantasy VII". The only detail I remember is that I stressed the importance of going to the beach to learn Big Guard.

We're the same age, because that sounds like my sixth grade year. Only for my creative writing assignment, I basically wrote a Day of the Tentacle fanfic. My stroke of creative genius was renaming Bernard "Sam" and Hoagie "Max". They'll never figure that one out!

Sven
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Unless we're counting the GameSpite Fantasy Sports leagues, I'm quite happily free from any stories in this department.

Wait, I guess I wrote a Mario Bros.-based story in Grade 2. And the Star Wars RPG I wrote for my computer science project is probably more Star Wars related than gaming-related.

Luana
09-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I have done a lot of nerdy things in the name of gaming. I'll let you decide what's the nerdiest.

Considered composing a string/horn arrangement of the Mega Man V for part of my senior project in high school (which was conducting/teaching an orchestra). It fell through because I couldn't find enough orchestra members to participate, and I didn't know the range of wind instruments well enough.
Knitted little wristband-type things for my Taiko Drum Master drumsticks.
Potential Christmas cards (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/2367615191_56e04327c1.jpg), design projects. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/2351912286_f9cdf16c99_z.jpg) I wish I had a photo of the gift packaging I did -- I painted a gift bag blue and added mushroom platforms and vines up to the handles. The gift tag was a leaf, too. Oh, and the gift box was a ? block.
Wrote a guitar/violin arrangement of the Snake Man theme.
Got into a verbal catfight with a GameCrazy employee (although that was half-gaming and half-Washingtonian pride).

Kirin
09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
I've linked most of these from the forum before, but here are some of the (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/FFXbql.txt)dorkier (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/ffspells.html)things (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/ffsummons.html)I've (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/chars2.html) spent (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/tekkenlist.txt)too much (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/chocobos.txt) time (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/heroes.html)compiling (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~elgin/FF/zelda_items.txt).

Also, I did some really dorky game-related things for music classes in college. For my final project in electronic music, I took samples of friends' voices and recreated the entirety of Dancing Mad by bending the pitches. That went on for enitrely too long... Even dorkier but slightly less embarrassing was my following independent study project, where I essentially crafted a 10-minute or so AMV from a collection of game clips from vector graphics through PSX era all set to an original electronic compostion.

hafrogman
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
If we're going back to elementary school, there's a few pretty dorky things lurking about. (Or a LOT of dorky things, but only a few video game ones). But nothing as bad as public readings of fanfiction or as awesome as the Megaman dating sim (which I would totally play, given half a chance).

- Taking Nintendo Power's Final Fantasy guidebook to school and reading it during recess wasn't so much a single dorky event as a habit.

- Also of note, my Dragon Warrior themed birthday party. Complete with the choose-your-own-adventure style game (again from Nintendo Power) recreated as a life-size game.

More recent events are less frequent (or better hidden). But they all seem to revolve around the release of Dragon Quest IX (are we sensing a theme, yet?)

- Taking the time to pick up my copy on release day, while on vacation in Las Vegas.

- Going to the Gamestop event and standing around with a bunch of other twenty-something guys, slavishly watching the door for new arrivals and constantly cross-checking to make sure we'd all gotten all the guests.

- Joining this site.

Elements
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
And the Star Wars RPG I wrote for my computer science project

Ah. This reminds me. I actually created a tabletp RPG for Earthbound using the strategy guide as a basis. It alloted so many "character points" upon creation, that you spent to give your character their uniqueness. Off the top of my head, it was somehting like, you get 10 points, and it costs 5 to know PSI, 4 for water to estore your PP, 1 for each weapon proficiency., 2 to use Tools, 2 to Pray. You get it. I probably could've just let them pick which existing char's abailities they wanted, but that seemed lame. It never went much of anywhere.

Much more successful was my Final Fantasy VIII tabletop, made by request. I should scan some of my character sheets for it. I put a ton of work into its system, and I think it came out pretty good. I pretty much just let eahc player pick which weapon they used, and pick which Limit Break set they wanted, but each was tweaked to the individual mildly. I also let each character choose some basics of the first GF they would be getting, then made an original one for each of them. It didn't last many sessions, most of it concerned with minor events at Trabia. Disappointing, because I had a big campaign laid out. Btw, after much discussion with players, it was decided that it would be an "alternate" FF8 world, pretty much FF8's world, but lacking anything that happened in FF8. Grr, now I'm mad it never went anywhere, as dorky as it sounds.... On this note, despite it's general bad rep, all my friends and I are diehard FF8 fans.

TirMcDohl
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I have done a lot of nerdy things in the name of gaming.

Got into a verbal catfight with a GameCrazy employee (although that was half-gaming and half-Washingtonian pride).

It wasn't Zelda Scott (http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/18/tse-riff-theater-gamecrazy-training-video/), was it?

Kolbe
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
In High School I had to write a story in 5 chapters where eache chapter had to be with a different technique (for example a script or prose). This, by the way, was math class, so, yeah.

Anyway, I didn't rip off anything (or should I say, I ripped off everything I liked at the moment but you couldn't put your finger on it, just like J.K. Rowling and her work) but there was a pretty obvious reference to Final Fantasy.

This was the very silly story of a young adventurer who traveled the world with his faithful giant parrot, inspired by Final Fantasy's chocobos. He encounterd a small, funny wizard who told him he had to rescue a princess from a dark tower where an evil, less funny wizard had her captive (both wizards happened to be brothers, of course!). In the process, he finds a giant, dumb, but noble ax-wielder and the whole thing ended with the dark tower colapsing and the good wizard and the bad wizard having an epic duel.

In order to save them from the blast of magic, the giant parrot protected their friends with its wings, dying in the process. In the epilogue, the hero eats the remaining, roasted pieces of his old friend, crying. Like Homer, when he eats his lobster... but way before that episode even existed!

I'm beginning to think that The Simpsons actually ripped off my story.

Belmont
09-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I walked around campus when Persona 3 was out with iPod playing Want to Be Close (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJAfmK3SPU) on loop and then eventually changed to Changing Seasons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHieCyez_A0&feature=related) when Fall came.

I may or may not have had my hands in my pocket.

Luana
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
It wasn't Zelda Scott (http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/18/tse-riff-theater-gamecrazy-training-video/), was it?

No, but if I could go back in time, I would punch that woman in the gut.

I walked around campus when Persona 3 was out with iPod playing Want to Be Close (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJAfmK3SPU) on loop and then eventually changed to Changing Seasons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHieCyez_A0&feature=related) when Fall came.

I don't know if that's dorky as much as awesome.

Googleshng
09-27-2010, 06:31 PM

But did you talk to an old couple about tree preservation after school?