PDA

View Full Version : Dual Blade on dual screens: Lufia 2 DS.

Issun
09-27-2010, 12:02 AM
So how come nobody told me they were remaking (http://ds.ign.com/objects/043/043460.html) one of the greatest RPGs of the 16 Bit era? And with Tales-esque battles, no less?

And oh my God is that box art (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B003UI518A/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=507846&s=gateway) bad!

Finally: video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHnOBKF_rw)

MetManMas
09-27-2010, 12:12 AM
We've already got a thread for this, though it's named "Lufia 5 for DS". I'd link you to it if I wasn't on Wii Browser.

Issun
09-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, that explains why I missed it. I saw "Lufia 5" and assumed sequel, and since the Lufia sequels post SNES have been pretty bad, I would have had no desire to click on a thread titled "Lufia 5". If it had mentioned a Lufia 2 remake, I would have clicked on it right away.

Why would someone do that to me? Why?

Pajaro Pete
09-27-2010, 12:21 AM
To be fair though, the Lufia games on the the SNES were pretty bad, too.

(Although I guess they did have surprisingly polished dialogue for the era. I mean, aside from the goofy censorship. "Superbeings" my ass.)

ReyVGM
09-27-2010, 01:06 AM
When I made the "Lufia 5 topic" no one knew it was a remake of Lufia 2.

Unfortunately no one bothered to change the topic. Weird since a lot of my other topics get changed without even letting me know about it.

Belmont
09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Here's the old thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=768535&postcount=176) Issun. I happened to import the game and I gave my (unfavorable) impressions (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=768535&postcount=176) in said thread, but in spite of all that I'm willing to give it another shot based on what other people are saying and feeling about it when it comes out in Engrish. Because hey, it's a psuedo-remake of Lufia 2.

Brickroad
09-27-2010, 06:20 AM

YOU SHUT YOUR FOOL MOUTH.

Lufia 2 had the most amazingly fun dungeons of any RPG ever right up until the Golden Sun games came out.

The plot was, of course, hilariously bad. But it was bad in a fun, goofy way that you could kind of just ignore. My favorite scene was where Selan was all "You mentioned another woman's name in passing! We're getting a divorce RIGHT NOW unless you gaze into this magic mirror!"

Kirin
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
I hadn't seen the combat in motion before. That's an... interesting solution to the problem of real-time combat with an adventuring party (not to mention limited polygon budget). The active character just morphs between different party memebers, if I'm seeing this correctly?

MetManMas
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
The plot was, of course, hilariously bad. But it was bad in a fun, goofy way that you could kind of just ignore. My favorite scene was where Selan was all "You mentioned another woman's name in passing! We're getting a divorce RIGHT NOW unless you gaze into this magic mirror!"

Speaking of Selan, while it's been ages since I played that far, wasn't she implied to be some kinda Amazon-esque action girl by the in-game dialogue? And ended up being a cut-and-paste magic user girl in gameplay terms?

Elements
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM

I only played through the original Lufia about 2 years ago. It was systematically and storyline simple, but it still had a certain charm to it, and Lufia 2, while I didn't beat, was impressive to me in a number of ways. However, I doubt any modern iterations would catch that classic gameplay balance I enjoyed. They'd probably want to "modernize" it with "improved dynamic battle system elements" or something.

Anyways, of Lufia 1, the main thing I actually remember is when you take a brief break from dungeon diving because your girl demands you run around in a department store with her, and it sells a number of useless cutesy or fashionable items. It seemed out of place in the game, as a pointless bit of flavoring and character interaction. I loved it. I just mean it seemed like the sort of extra scene RPG's of that era didn't really have.

Lucas
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
That trailer is actually selling me fairly well on the game. Is this one of those games that you could only love if you have nostalgia for the original, or am I better off since I'd be going in blind with no need to scream over what they've done to my precious beloved SNES game?

Pajaro Pete
09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
YOU SHUT YOUR FOOL MOUTH.

Lufia 2 had the most amazingly fun dungeons of any RPG ever right up until the Golden Sun games came out.

I felt like a lot of Lufia 2's puzzles were too arbitrary. Frequently when I was confronted with a puzzle, I'd stop and ask myself, "Why the hell is this here?" Which is weird, because I'm usually the one who rolls with whatever asinine thing a video game does because I know it's a game. A particularly obnoxious example was the monster races "puzzle."

(It did have some nice organic ones though. I remember the "Build a bridge over the lava!" one to be neat.)

My favorite part was the device in that one tower that can sink an entire island. Why does such a thing exist? Who knows? Certainly not us, because no one ever says anything about it once Maxim flips the switches to stop it.

(Although my biggest problem with L2's story was that I had been promised a much more interesting tale by the first game's intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-cTlvOj0o). But nope, instead of "The Sinistrals took over the world and ruled it from Doom Island, and all the nations of the world went to war with them and lost until finally Maxim and his posse managed to fight their way into the heart of darkness to defeat them," I got, "No, Maxim was pretty much the only person fighting the Sinistrals through the whole game, and hell he was pretty much the only person who even knew about them for most of it, also Doom Island only appears for about ten minutes before the party crashes their hang-gliding airship into it." :mad:)

Speaking of Selan, while it's been ages since I played that far, wasn't she implied to be some kinda Amazon-esque action girl by the in-game dialogue? And ended up being a cut-and-paste magic user girl in gameplay terms?

Yeah, as I recall, they talk about how great she is at sword fighting.

I only played through the original Lufia about 2 years ago. It was systematically and storyline simple, but it still had a certain charm to it,

You might also enjoy the original version of the game, which was called Lunar.

(But for real y'all, I totally love the series. Yes, even the third one. The one on the GBA is pretty neat too, although I don't know why they called it CIMA: The Enemy instead of Lufia: Something-or-Another)

Spuuky
09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I will now take this opportunity to say that while I don't remember much of it anymore, I absolutely adored both Lufia games. I will probably play through them again soon.

I was also highly amused by constantly battling "Asashins" and "Gorems" and the occasional "Cokatoris."

Refa
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
So how come nobody told me they were remaking (http://ds.ign.com/objects/043/043460.html) one of the greatest RPGs of the 16 Bit era? And with Tales-esque battles, no less?

Er, no? Dude, nothing about this in terms of the battle system is like Tales...It's top down for one thing...And it's an action RPG.

I'm excited for this. Square really has a lot of old properties they need to revive. I'd like another game in the Quintet Quintology. Hopefully the inverse property won't be true on that one, otherwise we'll get a turn based RPG...

Torgo
09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Kind of. She's definitely not as good as Maxim or Guy, but I still remember her being pretty solid in the killing things with pointy things area as well. It's just that... you know, since you already have two characters that hit pretty hard and she has lots of magic, you might as well have her use magic.

Kishi
09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
(Although my biggest problem with L2's story was that I had been promised a much more interesting tale by the first game's intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-cTlvOj0o). But nope, instead of "The Sinistrals took over the world and ruled it from Doom Island, and all the nations of the world went to war with them and lost until finally Maxim and his posse managed to fight their way into the heart of darkness to defeat them," I got, "No, Maxim was pretty much the only person fighting the Sinistrals through the whole game, and hell he was pretty much the only person who even knew about them for most of it, also Doom Island only appears for about ten minutes before the party crashes their hang-gliding airship into it." :mad:)

I've never played Lufia 2, but the only reason I ever thought I'd want to was to see the rest of the story leading up to Lufia 1's opening sequence. My disappointment is great.

Brickroad
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Yep! The story continually makes references to her weilding a sword (she even wears one under her wedding dress!), but really she's just Generic Squishy Magical Girl.

I felt like a lot of Lufia 2's puzzles were too arbitrary. Frequently when I was confronted with a puzzle, I'd stop and ask myself, "Why the hell is this here?"

Because it's a dungeon. And that's where puzzles live.

Anyway, this is the very reason Lufia 2 was the best until Golden Sun came along. Both games had tricky and imaginative puzzle design, but Golden Sun did it with a more natural sense of integration.

Issun
09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
See, I had the benefit of playing the second one first, knowing nothing about the first one. So as you can imagine, at the end I was utterly stunned. I was all like: "They just did that?"

Destil
09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I believe Turnip and I have been over this before, but, the Lufia 1 that exists in my head is about a hundred times more awesome than the one that exists in my SNES collection.

Somehow after all these years I tricked myself into thinking that in the end Lufia was just Erim and you went through the entire last leg of the game with a 3 man party, killing her in the process. Instead I guess she comes back to her senses at the end? I still can't believe I finished such a bland, grindy game even back in middle school....

Lufia 2, though, is right up there with the other great SNES RPGs.

Pajaro Pete
09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I believe Turnip and I have been over this before, but, the Lufia 1 that exists in my head is about a hundred times more awesome than the one that exists in my SNES collection.

Somehow after all these years I tricked myself into thinking that in the end Lufia was just Erim and you went through the entire last leg of the game with a 3 man party, killing her in the process. Instead I guess she comes back to her senses at the end? I still can't believe I finished such a bland, grindy game even back in middle school....

You do go through the last leg of the game with just the hero, Aguro and Jerin. She rejoins the party for the very final battle, because she got spit back out when the Sinistrals fused into Guard Daos. Then she uses the Dual Blade to commit suicide because as long as she's alive the Sinistrals will be able to revive. Then she manages to survive the Dual Blade exploding on her (or whatever happened) and falling through The Shoddily Made Bridge of Drama down to the ocean (from, you know, the island floating in the sky) because a year later she's completely fine except for the fact that she's lost her memories and can no longer use magic.

The ending is actually pretty creepy despite the cheerful, upbeat music.

(Yes, I totes love Lufia 1, and my love is based purely on nostalgia. The colors are so pretty and bright and the music is infectious and the American spell names are awesome)

Kishi
09-27-2010, 11:17 PM
The colors are so pretty and bright

The Sinistrals' battle sprites have some of the best composition and poise of any RPG where battle sprites are a thing.

http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/estpolis/estgadesbattle.gif http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/estpolis/estamonbattle.gif http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/estpolis/esthelenebattle.gif http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/estpolis/estdiosbattle.gif

Another mark against Lufia 2 is that their equivalent sprites in that game are incredibly stiff and gawky in comparison.

Pajaro Pete
09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
...and then Lufia 3* gives us this little number:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/friedturnips/erim2.gif

One arm (with arm guard roughly the same size as her body) extended outward to toward the viewer, the other holding her halberd (roughly the same size as her body) behind her back. At first glance, one might assume she's leaping towards someone in mid-swing, but closer inspection reveals that the only way she could swing her halberd would be into herself. This would be counter productive, to say the least.

In conclusion, Erim's secret power is the ability to balance on one foot (in heels) while holding cumbersome objects of varying weights in her hands.

*Let's Play coming October 2010<3

Derra
09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Another mark against Lufia 2 is that their equivalent sprites in that game are incredibly stiff and gawky in comparison.

wWho cares about the sprites when your ears are melting from awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnYGYa6l3M)?

SpoonyBardOL
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
This thread is making me all sad again when I remember that the game got abysmal reviews. :(

Any new news on the localization? Maybe tweaking done for North America?

Is there still an Idura/Idula kerfluffle?

Sanagi
09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Lufia 2 is the only good Lufia game and even it loses some shine when you notice how lazily its linearity is enforced and how much it's copying Dragon Quest. It still has a better "limit break" system than Final Fantasy ever managed to come up with, though.

I will now take this opportunity to say that while I don't remember much of it anymore, I absolutely adored both Lufia games. I will probably play through them again soon.

I was also highly amused by constantly battling "Asashins" and "Gorems" and the occasional "Cokatoris."
Don't forget the cobalts. Dangerous creatures, cobalts... Especially the rarer isotopes.

Issun
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Is there still an Idura/Idula kerfluffle?

Rats in your eyes! I'll be back for you!

ozacrot
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
It still has a better "limit break" system than Final Fantasy ever managed to come up with, though.

Huh? I don't remember anything along these lines.

Brickroad
09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Huh? I don't remember anything along these lines.

Your characters had an IP bar that filled up as they took damage. Most of their equipment slots had IP moves attached to them. It was a pretty neat little system that added an element of strategy to the game beyond "always wear the best stuff" without overcomplicating combat too terribly much.

Lufia 2 was also the first game I played to have L button auto. Holding the L button was just like pressing the A button over and over and over, which is what you did in every battle anyway. You don't know how many times I wish Chrono Trigger had L button auto.

Also, if you had to heal two of your dudes on the main menu, there was a way to select just those dudes with your heal magic, rather than one dude at a time or all your dudes at once. Not very useful, but it was nice to know the designers were paying attention to the little things.

(Now somebody post a screenshot of the garbled Doom Temple and make me look like a dork, plzthx.)

Issun
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
That wasn't just on the menu screen. You could do it in battle, too. You could also do that with enemies and attack spells. It was pretty useful, and it's a shame no other game has implemented it.

Sanagi
09-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I like Lufia 2's D-pad-based menu scheme in battle, too. Just like I play FFVI with its quick menu option. Paladin's Quest has a similar system that's a bit clunkier.

Wheels
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Nintendo Power gave it an 8.0, which they also gave to 4 Heroes of Light

Rascally Badger
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Nintendo Power gave it an 8.0, which they also gave to 4 Heroes of Light

As much as I love the rest of Nintendo Power, the review scores are often strange. I would put very little stock in that.

Wheels
09-30-2010, 05:05 PM
As much as I love the rest of Nintendo Power, the review scores are often strange. I would put very little stock in that.

True, but the text was pretty positive, the biggest gripe seeming to be that some of the puzzles involved too much trial and error. Thought I'd put it out there so people could take from it what they want.

BlitzBlast
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I remember how the ominous dialogue of Lufia 1's intro is totally destroyed when you get there in Lufia 2 since everyone talks so much more... casually.

Silver
10-01-2010, 12:11 AM
To me, Lufia 2 represents the best of the B-tier on the Super Nintendo. It lacked refinement, feeling very much like a illegitimate bastard child of Legend of Zelda and Dragon Quest, but lacking the polished execution of either. Still, if you enjoyed role-playing games in 1995, as I did when I played this series, chances are you'd have found something to like in Lufia 2.

I grant you that the series hasn't aged well, but let's be totally honest with ourselves here - what B or C tier RPG from the 16-bit era has aged like fine wine? These games were the soda pop of their generation; it's unsurprising that most, including this ditty, feel flat against 15 years worth of genre refinement.

That said I enjoyed Lufia 2. It had a quirky charm about it and the puzzles were rad. I also like in principle that this re-visioning is an action RPG - Lufia 2 always felt like it really should have been an action rpg, as the more conventional rpg elements of the game felt like some necessary evil to uphold genre conventions.

Refa
10-01-2010, 02:56 PM
So what makes this game better than the various Crystal Chronicles games for the DS?

Wheels
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
So what makes this game better than the various Crystal Chronicles games for the DS?

I believe it is much more puzzley.

MetManMas
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Or at least, the puzzles are designed with a single player game in mind. Doing puzzles in EoT's awful when you have to bring three A.I. idiots along to give enemies something to target besides you.....and the puzzles are asinine isometric bullcrap with platforming.

The graveyard stage with its timed switches on floating platforms, ghosts that can only be killed a certain way, and Miasma-esque poison traversing are where I bailed. I seriously doubt Lufia II DS has anything as bullshitty as that.

Destil
10-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Lufia II's Ancient Cave is better than entire games, for what it's worth.

Refa
10-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Lufia II's Ancient Cave is better than entire games, for what it's worth.

Is it in the remake?

Spuuky
10-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Is it in the remake?I will say this only once, and with great gravity: If there is no Ancient Cave, it is not Lufia 2.

Elements
10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
If this "Ancient Cave" is the one I'm thinking of, then I believe I played Lufia II up to the point of reaching it, then spent a week beating the Ancient Cave, and afterwards, going back to the regular game just felt too weird, and I ended up not playing it any after that.

Elfir
10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
If this "Ancient Cave" is the one I'm thinking of, then I believe I played Lufia II up to the point of reaching it, then spent a week beating the Ancient Cave, and afterwards, going back to the regular game just felt too weird, and I ended up not playing it any after that.

A week? No, I don't believe this could possibly be the same game. Three months? Plausible.

MetManMas
10-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I will say this only once, and with great gravity: If there is no Ancient Cave, it is not Lufia 2.

Really? *checks FAQ, reports back*

There is an Ancient Cave in Lufia II DS. It's even still randomized and all.

Elfir
10-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I hope it still has that NG+ Ancient Cave-only mode in some form.

Belmont
10-03-2010, 12:10 PM
You mean to tell me that people actually beat the Ancient Cave?

Wow.

Elfir
10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
You mean to tell me that people actually beat the Ancient Cave?

Wow.

I never did but I've read about the uber slime at the bottom...

Sanagi
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Me and a friend of mine played through it in shifts back in the day... Never got more than a couple of the Iris treasures, though.

You need Dekar and his namesake weapon to stand a chance against the boss.

q 3
10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
I never did but I've read about the uber slime at the bottom...

Who is home to one of my favorite bizarre bugs in the game: to beat the dungeon, you have to kill him in three rounds. But the game doesn't check to see if he's dead, only whether combat has ended. So if your entire party commits suicide within three rounds, you "win".

I don't think I've ever beaten him legitimately... :\

Pajaro Pete
10-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Against my better judgment, I ordered this. I haven't even really had a chance to really sink my teeth into Etrain Odyssey III, and haven't bought Four Heroes of Light yet, and dammit Z.H.P. comes out later this month doesn't it?

Wheels
10-13-2010, 02:50 PM
and dammit Z.H.P. comes out later this month doesn't it?

Yes it does. RPG OVERLOAD

Pajaro Pete
10-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes it does. RPG OVERLOAD

Good think my birthday's at the beginning of November. I mean I still won't have time to buckle down and play, but at least I can get my brother to buy one or more of these games.

Wheels
10-15-2010, 08:43 AM
So this game is pretty good

Story makes me want to punch myself in the face though

Pajaro Pete
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Oh, this came in the mail today. I dunno, it's not bad, the localization is quite a bit better than I was expecting and the storyline's pacing feels better than Lufia II's. Doom Island and Gades showing up at the very beginning definitely makes fixes one of the major problems I had with Lufia II's story.

The combat is pretty meh, and Tia feels unplayable.

I really dig Lexis in this (especially considering he's a nonentity in LII), and I like the Religion vs Science thing going on between Iris and him.

The music is wonderful and makes me feel giddy when I hear it. When I got to the upper area of Soma Temple, alls I could say was "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees."

Belmont
10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
How's the combat feel to you guys? Anyone made any decent progress in this yet and fought any of the major bosses?

Pajaro Pete
10-19-2010, 06:15 PM
It feels like each "battle"/monster spawn point is designed with one specific character in mind. That character will tear through the enemies with no problem, and everyone else will die a horrible death. Going back through Tanbel Mine, for example, involved Guy standing still and attacking while the poisonous flowers and bone monsters tried to tick off his HP one point at a time.

The only time I've noticed slowdown is when I stray too far from a point where monsters spawn without clearing them all out, and then the game drops to a crawl. Especially if a puzzle element appears on screen.

Is the battle against Gades at Parcelyte one you're supposed to lose? I did fine against his first phase, and was doing fine during the second until he said something, and then he started hitting waaaay harder and Maxim's attacks started hitting for a lot less. I had to burn through all my potions and all my miracles to survive, and I barely managed that.

Edit: I went back and read your impressions from the other thread. Apparently not.

Belmont
10-19-2010, 06:36 PM
How does that fight work? Are you supposed to beat him or survive a certain amount of time? Because I couldn't do either.

Pajaro Pete
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
How does that fight work? Are you supposed to beat him or survive a certain amount of time? Because I couldn't do either.

I think you're supposed to beat it, but then it's Gades so like, who knows? Gamefaqs (lol) seems to indicate you're supposed to win, as well. The Knock Down/Up resistance and Knock Down Attack slots on the Mystic Board probably would have helped immensely, too, because most of the hits I scored were ones where I had knocked him down with Maxim's X-button attack and then charged hammering the y-button.

Pajaro Pete
10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Is it a bad thing that the only way I managed to survive a boss fight was by enabling the Ignore Falling Dmg tile on Maxim's Mystic Board and leaping off the edge of the battlefield to avoid attacks/get a few blessed seconds of invincibility?

Pajaro Pete
10-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Huh. So as it turns out, this game is pretty short. The last couple of hours are basically glorified cutscenes, and yet I seemed to get really, really, really powerful in a short amount of time. I remember using a potion on Maxim and being like, "Wait, he has 700+ HP? When did that happen?"

The dungeons seemed to take a cue from the modern Zelda school of design, in that there are dungeons specifically built around Selan, Guy and Artea's special abilities even though you'll pretty much never need them after you finish said dungeons. And unfortunately, you'll be going through dungeons multiple times.

Fighting is pretty much awful, and most of the game feels like it was built to be played as Maxim (or Deckar using a sword, I guess). It's pretty much the only way you're really going to get the bonus exp/cash/souls. Selan would probably be even more useful, but she can't hit hard enough with her attacks to make it really worth it. (Although her Ice magic and charge attacks are devastating) Guy was pretty powerful at first, but by the end of the game, each hit he was doing was only doing about the same as Maxim's, and Maxim can hit a whole lot faster than Guy.

For the most part, I like the changes to the storyline. There were a few places where they lifted lines straight from the SNES version that felt really awkward and out of place (Tia's "My name means tear but I can't cry" was something I could tolerate on the SNES, but here in 2010 it was like awkward exposition out of nowhere).There were also a few repetitive sequences (Oh, Idura kidnapped someone. Again. And he took them to the Ancient Cave. Again.), but I think overall the narrative was much tighter here than in the SNES game.

I like what they did with the Sinistrals. They actually, you know, do stuff, and the effects they're having on the world are more visible. The storyline also gives them a specific goal and a little bit of insight into what they are. There were a couple of callbacks to Lufia 1 that I loved (Iris naming the Priphea and "Golly, this statue of Erim looks just like Iris!").

The final battle made me lol. Square Enix, you got Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in my Lufia!

Belmont
03-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I really don't know why, but I decided to pick this up again (this time in English) along with Golden Sun. You'd think I don't have enough videogames to play already.

Serephine
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Oh hey, is this the thread where I complain about paying $35 to have a fond memory of a good game raked over the coals? Cause seriously, fuck this remake. It somehow manages to validate everything that's wrong with shitty jrpg tropes, the most heinous being the fact I swear the dialogue was written by and for 10 year olds.

Pajaro Pete
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
the most heinous being the fact I swear the dialogue was written by and for 10 year olds.

That's being true to Lufia 2 though.

Octopus Prime
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
That's being true to Lufia 2 though.

Offering a wish to the super beings.