PDA

View Full Version : I have a Dreamcast (now what?)

McClain
09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I bought a Dreamcast from a friend on a total whim. I have to be honest, I've never paid much attention to the system, so I have no idea what to get for it.

I have:
-Jet Grind Radio
-Unreal Tournament
-Star Wars Racer
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (the original, baby!)
-Various burned CDs I'm not really sure how to use (included one just labled "Linux")

I also got a couple of the funky game-n-watch save cards, but I think they need new batteries.

Anyhow, I'm looking for game/system recommendations. Anything exclusive or best on Dreamcast. I'm most interested in RPGs and Action/Adventure/Platform stuff, which I gather wasn't really the Dreamcast's strength. Also curious about some shooters, but I think I could get those collected on the Gamecube/PS2 or DL now.

Anyhow, I know you nerds all love the Dreamcast for some reason, so show me the light!

DemoWeasel
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Buy Zombie Revenge and play it with a friend.

Warg
09-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I highly recommend tracking down two Dreamcast keyboards and Typing of the Dead.

You might like some of the stuff you type.

alexb
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia. Shenmue.

McClain
09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Skies of Arcadia.

I knew this would come up. I have (and love!) Skies on the Gamecube. Is there any reason to play the original?

widdershins
09-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd highly recommend giving the dreamcast retronauts a listen -- they go into a lot of the real must-haves for the system.

That said, I've had my dreamcast for about 4 years, and still just have the games I got with it: Sonic Adventure 1&2, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue.

SA is fun, but not particularly mind blowing.
I haven't played Skies yet, as I've been waiting for a good time to truly savor it (word on the grape vine is that you can't do much better for a DC RPG, though).
Shenmue is absolutely fantastic.

I'd also recommend Power Stone highly if you're at all interested in any kind of fighting game. Crazy Taxi's good for some cheap thrills set to a soundtrack of offspring and bad religion, and even if they're not your thing, SEGA sports games (particularly football and soccer) are almost always entertaining to play.

McClain
09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I also (briefly) had Sonic Adventure for the Gamecube.

Shenmue seems to be getting a lot of love, though. I'll definitely have to check it out.

ajr82
09-28-2010, 11:01 PM
BANGAI-O

Azar
09-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I assume people here are mostly okay with the idea of playing burned Dreamcast games. Most all of them are self-boot, so you should be able to stick them right in the system and play. It's pretty much the best thing ever.

Do you have multiple controllers and friends? Get Power Stone 2.

McClain
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Do you have multiple controllers

Yes!

and friends?

... yes?

It's getting harder to get people together just to play video games. I probably won't be getting something just to play with friends, but if there is a good game that's also fun with friends, more the better.

EDIT: Oh, also, what's the best way to display on an HDTV? I just have the regular cables. Links to where to buy if you don't mind!

Googleshng
09-28-2010, 11:22 PM
I knew this would come up. I have (and love!) Skies on the Gamecube. Is there any reason to play the original?

Well there's being able to play through it without the stupid additions made by the people handling the GC port lie having evil twins and such, but that's so not a reason for anyone with finite money and time to grab both.

Other things I'd recommend include Ecco the Dolphin (that series transisitons to 3D way more smoothly than most), Soul Calibur, Chu Chu Rocket, Time Stalkers (best console roguelike I can recall playing), and MAYBE Space Channel 5. It's kinda crazy short, but the SPECTACLE of it.

ShakeWell
09-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Buy Zombie Revenge and play it with a friend.

This guy? He gets it.

Also, if you like fighting games, all the Capcom fighters available for it are the best home versions, and if you like pro wrestling, import Fire Pro D and Giant Gram 2000.

Sir Sly Ry
09-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Grandia II is good. Kind of easy, but a really fun battle system. Damn. I want to play that game again now.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Essential.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. A personal favorite.

These are games any human needs in order to be complete in their soul.

Rascally Badger
09-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Well there's being able to play through it without the stupid additions made by the people handling the GC port lie having evil twins and such, but that's so not a reason for anyone with finite money and time to grab both.

Legends has a lower encounter rate and shorter load times, plus all the great (okay, goodish) extra content you sneer at. And a slight hit to the music.

Bongo Bill
09-29-2010, 12:45 AM
The Gamecube version adds... eleven to fourteen bonus bosses, depending on how you count them. They're pretty classy. One minor sidequest was removed for some reason. The encounter rate is significantly lower but still not objectively low. The audio tracks aren't mixed as well, so it doesn't sound as good.

Sir Sly Ry
09-29-2010, 12:48 AM
OH

and Sword of the Berserk. How could I forget? It's not the best game, but, it's pretty rad for a hack and slash. You'll probably recognize the guy who does Puck. I know I've heard that voice in more recent games. But anyway, it's a pretty cool hack 'em up. And the villain's name is Lord Ballsack or something. Big plus.

locit
09-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Everyone here is right. The only must-have game not mentioned so far is Shenmue II, but you definitely need to play through the original first. I'm about replay it for the first time since I finished the PAL import. It's worth it, if only for another chance to savor the wonderful (and heartbreaking) final hour. Beating Shenmue makes the fact that its story will never be completed sad. Beating Shenmue II makes it fucking tragic.

Issun
09-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Sooooooul Caliburrrrr!

Googleshng
09-29-2010, 01:10 AM
Everyone here is right. The only must-have game not mentioned so far is Shenmue II, but you definitely need to play through the original first. I'm about replay it for the first time since I finished the PAL import. It's worth it, if only for another chance to savor the wonderful (and heartbreaking) final hour. Beating Shenmue makes the fact that its story will never be completed sad. Beating Shenmue II makes it fucking tragic.

Yes. Also tragic: When you import the PAL version of 2, you can't carry over your saved data. All those hours at the capsule toy machine getting Myau and Opa-Opa, wasted!

But yeah, seriously, Shenmue 2 is the first half of the game to which Shenmue 1 is the boring intro.

Sir Sly Ry
09-29-2010, 01:38 AM
I used to have Shenmue. I traded it like an idiot. Probably only good for one playthrough though.

never played the second, but that was on Xbox right? As in, an American release? Is it worth playing now?

For some reason I still have fond memories of Shenmue but I can see why it wasn't as well received despite all the hype it got. I remember when gamespot gave it a low score, like 5.5 or something, but all the whiny little bitches pissed and moaned about the review so Gamespot was forced to raise the score even though it didn't really deserve it.

Torgo
09-29-2010, 02:10 AM
BANGAI-O
No seriously, this. This and Power Stone.

Sir Sly Ry
09-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Would you take Power Stone over the sequel? I played a demo for the first I think, not sure if I played the sequel or not.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-29-2010, 05:32 AM
I love Cannon Spike, personally.

TheSL
09-29-2010, 07:05 AM

If you love it corrupting your memory cards and erasing your progress 10 hours in! Or at least that was the case for me.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Essential.

I never beat that one because it wouldn't boot from the first disc for some reason. If I loaded up the second one, loaded my save it would prompt me for the first disc and it would work fine from there, but it was such a pain in the ass. And I ordered it directly from Capcom!

Patrick
09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Essentials:

Soul Calibur (The DC game is stil the best in the series)
Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi 1+2
Chu Chu Rocket
Power Stone
Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue I + II

Also, Ikaruga and Street Fighter II Third Strike, which I played on other systems.

Sir Sly Ry
09-29-2010, 09:42 AM
I never beat that one because it wouldn't boot from the first disc for some reason. If I loaded up the second one, loaded my save it would prompt me for the first disc and it would work fine from there, but it was such a pain in the ass. And I ordered it directly from Capcom!
I'm really sorry to hear that. I got that on Dreamcast right after it came out, and I've probably played through the game three or four times. I always left my Dreamcast at my parent's house so it seemed if I remember right I'd play through the game again when I was home on leave, usually around Christmas time. Point is, it's the one RE game I've played the most (though 4 is a very close seocond), and though it's not as scary as the early games, I still really dig it. Rendering the gameworld in 3D, using a moving camera instead of CGI pictures really makes a huge difference. For some reason I've just found it a fun game to play through numerous times. I'll probably do it again at some point too.

Azar
09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Would you take Power Stone over the sequel? I played a demo for the first I think, not sure if I played the sequel or not.
I believe the second game improved upon the rather limited options of the first in almost every way. There's also a very robust item/weapon creation system that I never even touched because it was purely a multiplayer game for me. It's no Smash Bros, but the added dimension and sheer lunacy of Power Stone 2 made 4-player free-for-alls tons of fun.

hafrogman
09-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Get these three games:

Soul Calibur.
Sooooooul Caliburrrrr!
Soul Calibur

I own my Dreamcast entirely for this reason

McClain
09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Man, you guys love the shit out of some Soul Calibur. My roommate had it in college and we played a ton of it, so I think I've had my fill. Note that I'm also not the biggest fighting game person (though I do think I need to try some of the SF III/Alpha games).

Sir Sly Ry
09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I actually bought it not long ago. haven't played it much but it still seems pretty rad for a fighter. I kind of regret trading Dead or Alive 2, but I have DOA4 on 360, and it's really been the same game since DOA2, just with minor improvements here and there

Refa
10-03-2010, 01:42 AM

That's what they said about Mega Man Legends. ;)

This guy has made some videos on some DC games that I'd never heard of;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRkzW-ayoTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=merDjOU7TxQ&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX6OCgYVIPc

Olli T
10-03-2010, 02:30 AM
THPS 2 (the best version of the best game in the series)

Kolbe
10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Chu Chu Rocket has been mentioned before, but 'essential' doesn't even begin to describe it. Seriously, this game on XBL or PSN would put Sega back in the game in no time.

McClain
10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
THPS 2

You're going to have to tell me what this is.

SilentSnake
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
You're going to have to tell me what this is.

I'm guessing he means Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

smacketh
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Edit: Ninja'd

chady
10-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I was just thinking back to all the fighting games I played for this system and it really surprised me. (Soul Calibur, Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, SF Alpha 3, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Power Stone, and DoA 2)

My favs, tho, were these:
Soul Calibur
Crazy Taxi
Grandia II
Chu Chu Rocket!
Resident Evil: Code Veronica, which is great if you're into the old school RE thing.

But mostly, Chu Chu motherfucking Rocket! That game is the best.

Googleshng
10-04-2010, 10:42 PM
In complete seriousness: I knew I would eventually get a Dreamcast based on a few other upcoming games, but this is why I bought it day one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI) It remains the only instance I have ever encountered of an advertisement which successfully convinced me to buy something.

Olli T
10-05-2010, 01:25 AM
I was just thinking back to all the fighting games I played for this system and it really surprised me. (Soul Calibur, Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, SF Alpha 3, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Power Stone, and DoA 2)

Yeah, DC does have its share of pretty awesome fighters (you missed MvC2 ajd Power Stone 2). The d-pad isn't exactly the best around, but I guess if you're serious about fighters, you'll have an arcade stick anyway.

chady
10-05-2010, 01:31 AM
this is why I bought it day one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI)

I have never seen that commercial before. It is a completely accurate description of Chu Chu Rocket.

My only regret is that I never got the opportunity to play that game with 4 players. Even without that, in my mind, Chu Chu Rocket is the best thing that ever happened to in-person multiplayer gaming since Goldeneye for the N64.

redstuff
10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Yes. Also tragic: When you import the PAL version of 2, you can't carry over your saved data. All those hours at the capsule toy machine getting Myau and Opa-Opa, wasted!

you could do this, if you downloaded a program that let you convert the save files. the one I used required that you mess around with the code in the save file though - I had some FAQ guide me through it. I wouldn't go so far as to do that if I played it again today, however, but it was possible.

McClain
10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey, so what's the best way to display a dreamcast on an HDTV? All I have are the standard A/V cables.

Patrick
10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Hey, so what's the best way to display a dreamcast on an HDTV? All I have are the standard A/V cables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_VGA

McClain
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Okay ... is there a simple connector I can buy someone can direct me to?

Wheels
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM

If you have an S-Video connection on your HD-TV: http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Dreamcast-S-Video-Cable-GameCube/dp/B001DLC04O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286291793&sr=8-1

smacketh
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM

I didn't do any price checking, but you'd want something like this. (http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Dreamcast-VGA-Box-S-Video-RCA/dp/B000SL4IIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286291782&sr=8-1)

Most HDTVs have a VGA port you can use this on. It also has the option for S Video which is lower quality.

McClain
10-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I didn't do any price checking, but you'd want something like this. (http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Dreamcast-VGA-Box-S-Video-RCA/dp/B000SL4IIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1286291782&sr=8-1)

Most HDTVs have a VGA port you can use this on. It also has the option for S Video which is lower quality.

Ha!, that's twice what I paid for the whole set-up (dreamcast, two controllers, vmus, and games). Maybe I'll just deal with standard def.

Believe it or not, I don't think my TV has S-Video in.

nathan
10-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I really love the quirky games and it's what keeps me pulling out my Dreamcast from time to time.

The one I am fond of the most is Cannon Spike. It's like one long bosh rush that plays a bit like Smash TV but is populated with Capcom characters like Cammy and Mega Man.

Expendable is also a fun action game that really should be resurrected on XBLA/PSN with an updated interface.

I use the VGA box on an LCD television and the S-Video cable on a 1080p plasma. Both still look cleaner than my PS2 on the same televisions. It sure was a crisp little system.

smacketh
10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Ha!, that's twice what I paid for the whole set-up (dreamcast, two controllers, vmus, and games). Maybe I'll just deal with standard def.

Believe it or not, I don't think my TV has S-Video in.

Yeah, it's pricey as hell, that's why I mentioned I didn't do any price searching.
It's not much of a surprise that your tv lacks S-video...from what I remember S-video was being included for only a couple of years before the big move to HD. I've had probably a dozen TVs over the last decade and I only remember one of them having an S-video input.

McClain
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Whoa, this look kinda cool! (http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Input-PlayStation-Gamecube-Dreamcast-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B000JCLLUW) I wonder how this would look. Maybe not the best thing for the Dreamcast, but I bet it would make anything 8/16-bit look a lot better!

abasm
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Whoa, this look kinda cool! (http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Input-PlayStation-Gamecube-Dreamcast-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B000JCLLUW) I wonder how this would look. Maybe not the best thing for the Dreamcast, but I bet it would make anything 8/16-bit look a lot better!

I doubt it would make anything look better. If anything, the better screen would make the games look worse. Keep in mind that it's upconverting from composite to VGA. A crappy input will yield a crappy output.

Your best bet is using a direct cable. A straight line from the DC to a VGA port. I have a similar set-up on my Wii, and the graphics don't just pop, they shine. (It's like I'm really playing Guilty Gear on an arcade cabinet!)

ShakeWell
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Guys. I got a brand new, sealed copy of Zombie Revenge on eBay for twelve fucking dollars. This is the best thing.

Refa
10-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Sonic Adventure is a must own. I'm not saying it's the best game for the system, but it is definetely the marquee game, the Super Mario 64 of the Dreamcast.

And of course, Castlevania Resurrection, especially if you can't get enough of your IGA dissaproved non canonical Castlevania characters. ;)

TirMcDohl
10-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Reading this thread, I keep thinking that most of the Dreamcast library would most likely be fantastic for ports to modern consoles. If you can get the entirety of Chu Chu Rocket in one flash file, then you should be able to pay 800 Microsoft Funbucks and blast your mice in to outer spaaaaaace.

I think that this would be a license to print money.

Javex
10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Anything to get my Jet Set/Grind Radio fix.

ANYTHING.

TheSL
10-07-2010, 06:41 AM
And of course, Castlevania Resurrection, especially if you can't get enough of your IGA dissaproved non canonical Castlevania characters. ;)

Is there a bootleg of the unreleased version floating around the 'net or something? Because I'm sure that never got released.

Willm
10-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Is there a bootleg of the unreleased version floating around the 'net or something? Because I'm sure that never got released.

Yeah, and I'm not even sure how much progress was made during development. All I've seen of it are a handful of screenshots and a few very short trailers. All of which made the game look as clunky as its N64 predecessor. But it was going to have Female Dracula! (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Female_Dracula)

Googleshng
10-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Female Dracula! (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Female_Dracula)

Blobby Dracula with a girl growing out (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081020032158/castlevania/images/1/17/Sotn-drac-finalsprite.PNG) isn't enough for you?

Harvey
10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
But it was going to have Female Dracula! (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Female_Dracula)

She and Dracula would have made a formidable team against Sonia and Victor.

SilentSnake
10-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I just got Dreamcast Bangai-O in the mail.

Uh, I don't really get how it controls. Spirits took some getting used to too, but this seems more complicated.

ruler26
10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I just got Dreamcast Bangai-O in the mail.

Uh, I don't really get how it controls. Spirits took some getting used to too, but this seems more complicated.

It's like Robotron 2084. You move with the D-pad and shoot with A, B, X and Y. The R button powers up your super flowering shot, which is made more powerful based on the proximity and number of enemy shots within your immediate vicinity. The L button switches between Riki (homing missile shot) and Mami (dumb-fire, bouncing laser shot).

You can also use the analog pad for shooting, but I've never been able to make that work for me.

From my perspective, Dreamcast Bangai-O (and the N64 Bangai-O by similarity) are way simpler to control than Spirits.

bobbywatson
01-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Resurrecting an old thread here, but I figured we already have a few Dreamcast threads, so I did not see any point in creating a new one, and this seemed to be the most appropriate to talk about what's on my mind.

Anyway, I recently came across this link (http://item.buyfromtaobao.com/item.htm?id=7818275499) where it is possible to order an SD card reader/writer for the Dreamcast (made in China, of course), which can be used for fun stuff like backing up VMU save games (which is pretty much what I want to use it for) and other not so legal uses that I will not get into here.

Has anyone ordered one of those, and if yes did you have any issue with it? I found a store online where I can still order VMUs, but if I can order an SD card reader instead and store the data on my PC, that sounds like a win to me.

T-Brew
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
So that's what the serial port is for: piracy. Is there any way to get a non-hacked (like, no one is cheating) game of PSO going? Because I would be down for that.

ShakeWell
01-25-2012, 04:08 PM
So that's what the serial port is for: piracy.

That seems like a lot of work for what is one of the easiest systems to ever pirate games for. However, that might be useful for some of the weird Dreamcast DLC that's out there (Dynamite Cop springs to mind.)

Kazin
01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
So that's what the serial port is for: piracy. Is there any way to get a non-hacked (like, no one is cheating) game of PSO going? Because I would be down for that.

If you have the Gamecube version, I might be down. I don't have it for DC... But if you're looking for servers, I'd recommend Sylverant (http://sylverant.net/).

bobbywatson
01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Is it even still possible to get a legit copy of PSO for the PC? That's one game I've always been curious about but never got to play...

Torgo
01-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Is it even still possible to get a legit copy of PSO for the PC? That's one game I've always been curious about but never got to play...
Not really. The only real Western release of the PC version was the download-only Blue Burst back in 2005, and I'm pretty sure it didn't last more than a year or two. I think Sega bulldozed it to "encourage" people to play PSU.

I can safely say that Blue Burst was a hastily put together mess, at least at first. It was playable and stable enough, but it felt pretty half-finished.

T-Brew
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
If you have the Gamecube version, I might be down. I don't have it for DC... But if you're looking for servers, I'd recommend Sylverant (http://sylverant.net/).

I don't have the GameCube version, but I DO have a Gamecube, and a strong willingness to purchase the keyboard/controller monster.

But in that case I might as well save a fistful of dollars and play the PC version instead.

McClain
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Oh, hey, it's that thread I made. I... still haven't really played my Dreamcast much. I need to get around to that.

newtmonkey
01-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Record of Lodoss War is awesome. It starts out like a standard Diablo clone but shortly after that it opens up and turns amazing. I put so much time into this game back in college!

The world is massive and the equipment upgrade system is great. Basically, you have a home base with a blacksmith working for you. You find runes all over the place that you can have crafted into your equipment. It's addictive as hell exploring the world and looking for hidden caves, and finding new runes to modify your equipment with.

The game feels like a real adventure. It's amazing.

O..O~
01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Not really. The only real Western release of the PC version was the download-only Blue Burst back in 2005, and I'm pretty sure it didn't last more than a year or two. I think Sega bulldozed it to "encourage" people to play PSU.

I can safely say that Blue Burst was a hastily put together mess, at least at first. It was playable and stable enough, but it felt pretty half-finished.

It also controlled like absolute garbage. I don't think it had gamepad support but they didnt exactly optimize the controls for pc either. I dont think you actually use the mouse to look around, it was all in the keyboard.

Voncaster
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
If you like Racing games Star Wars Pod Racer and Wacky Races are both excellent.

I think the Dreamcast version of Pod Racer is the best console version of the game. The details are crisp and the controls are very good. Its a hard game though.

Wacky Races is fantastic. Its animated with a lot of care, and has a unique item system. Its really good.

breakman
01-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Record of Lodoss War is awesome. It starts out like a standard Diablo clone but shortly after that it opens up and turns amazing. I put so much time into this game back in college!

The world is massive and the equipment upgrade system is great. Basically, you have a home base with a blacksmith working for you. You find runes all over the place that you can have crafted into your equipment. It's addictive as hell exploring the world and looking for hidden caves, and finding new runes to modify your equipment with.

The game feels like a real adventure. It's amazing.

I was going to say this (more or less)! It is a really great game.

There are also two (not as good) spiritual successors to it for PS2, Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA.

Azar
01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm in the process of acquiring a Dreamcast broadband adapter so I can get online with the thing cause apparently there are still some private Dreamcast servers running out there and I gotta check that stuff out.

KCar
01-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I wish Last Blade 2 had more of a presence as a competitive fighting game. For whatever reason, the combo system in that game really clicked with me. Maybe it was super forgiving?

Daikaiju
01-27-2012, 05:00 AM
I hear someone got himself a addition to his DC library.

*coughhttp://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/image.php?u=23844&dateline=1279727461cough*

Maybe he could share some details about it?

Andrew
09-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Happy Dreamcastiversary, guys!

Firing up some Jojo's Bizarre Adventure over VGA (yeah, I never got the HD version, sue me) to celebrate. It's a damn nice way to play the system, for sure.

Sarge
09-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Yeah, the VGA Box is great. I have an off-brand one, and I wish I still had the manual for it. It was full of some of the best Engrish around. Gems like, "Do not perform the dropping or misfunction may become aroused." Oooookay then.

EDIT: Maybe I misremembered the first part, but here's a link to most of the text, apparently: http://ngemu.com/threads/dreamcast-engrish.15175/

Andrew
09-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I have just a generic cable, myself. VGA works with a surprising majority of games, and I frankly couldn't not pick one up when I had come back to Skies of Arcadia and tried to deal with the blurry, washed out look composite gave me.

The simpler, low-poly style of most of those games in 480p looks great, though.

LancerECNM
09-09-2017, 08:45 PM
The Gundam game on the Dreamcast is really good once you get used to it. It only features redshirt mobile suits from the early universal century, and you only get your cockpit view, so it's more like Mechwarrior meets Rainbow Six with melee combat than, say, the upcoming Gundam Versus. Melee fighting any mobile suit in that game is an affair and leads you to get killed really quickly if there are other enemies present. But it's so satisfying when you get good at the dance of tight maneuvering and blocking attacks with your own.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-10-2017, 11:02 PM
I need to put together a good list of games I want to someday get for Dreamcast.

Maybe other consoles while I'm at it. There any good site for doing that?

conchobhar
09-11-2017, 12:14 AM
It's been years since I used it, but I remember RetroGaming with Racketboy (http://www.racketboy.com/) being an invaluable resource. Some of the articles might have broken images or be slightly outdated (the "Best under $10" series), but otherwise it's extremely comprehensive and good at highlighting lesser-known games, too. Here's the Dreamcast 101 guide. (http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/dreamcast/sega-dreamcast-101-v2)

muteKi
09-11-2017, 12:51 AM
The games I most want for my DC right now are Power Stone 2, Space Channel 5, Mr. Driller, and some of the Japan-only games and maybe some Capcom and SNK fighting games. SADX mods have finally gotten to the point where I feel like Sonic Adventure Dreamcast isn't as much of a must-have any more.

Sarge
09-11-2017, 09:17 AM
There's actually a push by racketboy to update some of the articles. It's still a great resource, though, so don't hold off checking stuff. But feel free to stop in. :)

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Ah, I haven't visited Racketboy's site in a while, I ought to sometime.

But I was thinking more along the lines of sort of "click to add to list" kind of stuff... unless you mean he added that kind of feature?

I think 1UP.com had something along those lines, but that's not really an active site any more...

Sarge
09-11-2017, 01:18 PM
That would be a neat idea, actually.

I'm sad that 1UP is gone; it was definitely a staple of my web browsing.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Yeah, if I had any clue about how to code such a thing, I'd make it myself.

Just a list of every game you could name on there, and make your own personal list of what you have, what you want, maybe even stuff like what you've just played or got rid of...

LancerECNM
09-11-2017, 01:57 PM
backloggery?

Sarge
09-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Or howlongtobeat. GameFAQs also has that option to some extent.

four-so
09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
The best Dreamcast game for my money is Phantasy Star Online. I spent so many hours on it. I assume it isn't functional anymore via the Dreamcast. I've heard rumor of private servers on PC.

LancerECNM
09-11-2017, 03:58 PM
PSO servers are pretty common on PC. pretty sure UltimaPSO supports connection from Dreamcasts, too. I don't know the exact details, but PSO was practically built for private servers, as easy as it is to redirect to another server.

Sarge
09-11-2017, 04:15 PM
http://www.schtserv.com/info.php

Assuming that's legit, then it looks like every version other than the XBOX one is supported.

LancerECNM
09-11-2017, 04:21 PM
oh dang! schtserv is back?
I can vouch for the legitness of schtserv. I played on that server back in the day.

Sarge
09-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Now that I know this is a thing, I'm awfully tempted to give it a go myself. Or at the very least tell my brother so he can sink untold hours in again. :smirk:

(He's currently playing Destiny 2, but pshaw, who needs that when you've got PSO?)

bobbywatson
09-11-2017, 04:38 PM
PSO is one of those games I've always been curious about but never actually played. Maybe I should give this a try...

LancerECNM
09-11-2017, 06:02 PM
I... honestly don't know if I can recommend PSO to someone that hasn't played it. It's fun, but isn't friendly to solo melee characters. It's like... clunky Diablo built for a controller. I LOVE it. But it is missing modern amenities like "camera control" and "lock-on."

It's biggest strength is that, even though the timing is generous, you HAVE to time your attacks. Button-mashing results in messing up your three-hit combo. It makes the combat feel deliberate in a way that, say, Kingdom Hearts' combat isn't.

Klatrymadon
09-11-2017, 06:43 PM
I regret that I've only ever played PSO offline, with the GameCube version. I loved so much about it anyway, but areas could feel really unwieldy and empty at times, and bosses were elusive damage-sponges that took ages to go down (presumably seeming much less resilient with a group of people piling on). More so than with any other multiplayer-focused game I've played, there was a palpable sense of missing out on something. I think it's the soundtrack I'm most likely to revisit at this point, unless there's ever another re-release that finds a new community...

Anyway, here are my faves/recommendations:
Border Down
L.O.L: Lack of Love
Zero Gunner 2
Psyvariar 2
Trizeal
Record of Lodoss War
Cannon Spike
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix
Bangai-O
Under Defeat
Gunbird 2

Apart from the two unusual RPGs, these are all pure breathless euphoria from the word go. You can't go wrong. (Slightly less confident recs: Chaos Field, Radirgy and Karous.)

madhair60
09-12-2017, 04:28 AM
The only controller ever to draw blood

Wolf
09-12-2017, 10:00 AM
I... honestly don't know if I can recommend PSO to someone that hasn't played it. It's fun, but isn't friendly to solo melee characters. It's like... Diablo clunky Diablo built for a controller. I LOVE it. But it is missing modern amenities like "camera control" and "lock-on."

It's biggest strength is that, even though the timing is generous, you HAVE to time your attacks. Button-mashing results in messing up your three-hit combo. It makes the combat feel deliberate in a way that, say, Kingdom Hearts' combat isn't.

I ran through Episode 1 on Normal and Hard in the Gamecube version with a saber- and spear-wielding HUmar with relatively little trouble, though there were some spots that were kind of a slog toward the end on Hard at least. Very Hard mode was giving me fits, though, and I think I abandoned my playthrough somewhere in the Mines.

I never managed to play it online for various reasons.

LancerECNM
09-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Oh yeah, it can definitely be done with a Hunter, you should just probably also have a good handgun at the ready. It's just stunning how much breezier the game is with even just one other person of any class.

LBD_Nytetrayn
09-16-2017, 01:33 AM
backloggery?

Or howlongtobeat. GameFAQs also has that option to some extent.

Ah, didn't know those had that kind of functionality, or were that robust. I'll try to check them out soon. =)

Voncaster
09-16-2017, 05:11 PM
House of the Dead II and Typing of the Dead. Pick these up G.