PDA

View Full Version : LTTP Forever (No Spoilers!)

McClain
10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
EDIT: I hope folks don't mind that I've kind of been using this as my personal LttP thread, since that's how I spend my gaming life. I know a lot of these games have their own old threads, but I'd trying to avoid stuff people have said about a lot of them.

aka: The "not worth its own late to the party thread" thread.

Not every old game is worth its own thread when us slackers finally get around to it, so I wanted to make a universal, spoiler free place to talk about stuff we are playing.

Remember: NO SPOILERS! I don't care how old or well known the game is, some of us have done a very good job of avoiding information about these games. K? Thanks.
Feel free to lock if there is already a place for this sort of thing I'm overlooking.

__________________________________________________ ______

Someone was nice enough to loan (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=10764)me Bioshock. I haven't gotten very far yet, but damn this game is freaky! This is what I want from a scary game. I pretty much hate "survival horror" because of the conventions about limited movement, inventory, etc. But this game (so far at least) has done a terrific job of creeping me out and startling me without being frustrating.

SwiftTheRedFox
10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Woohoo! A thread made specifically for LTTPers. This is where I usually am in my life. I've got games like Bioshock 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, No More Heroes 2, House of the Dead Overkill, and MadWorld to play. I plan on starting up Bioshock 2 next week when I get the chance. Halo Reach still takes up most of my gaming time but I've got the urge to get through my backlog.

Winter
10-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Someone was nice enough to loan me Bioshock. I haven't gotten very far yet, but damn this game is freaky! This is what I want from a scary game. I pretty much hate "survival horror" because of the conventions about limited movement, inventory, etc. But this game (so far at least) has done a terrific job of creeping me out and startling me without being frustrating.

It's really the subtle touches that makes the atmosphere work, which is what recent survival horror games have completely lost. The shadow-work, mild deformities, and they way previously safe areas do not remain so gets me feeling a lot more pleasantly freaked out than the SURPRISE! Split-open Penis Monsters do.

Shame Bioshock 2 had to go and bugger all that.

MetManMas
10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
The latest game I'm LttP to is Prehistorik Man, but I'm finding it a bit hard to stick with since it has the common flaws and foibles of a textbook Bad Platformer after I played a really good one with Risky's Revenge. The floaty platforming and crummy collision detection stand out, but the most annoying thing is how you have to start the entire stage you're working on over again if you stop by the shop or access a bonus stage. So stupid. -_-;

Oh well, even with those flaws, it's not so offensively bad that it'd be an SGS candidate, though it's close to the borderline. It feels like there's a good game hidden somewhere within bad programming. The levels aren't too long, the game saves the last stage I made it to, and I can always cheese it with passwords if a level proves too annoying.

McClain
10-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Okay guys, got a pretty general question about Bioshock: Harvest or Rescue?

fanboymaster
10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I think people worked it out that all else being equal, you get more rewards for Rescue, but I'm not sure.

Winter
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
If I remember right, harvesting gets you more ADAM overall, but not by very much, and you miss out on the unique tonics and the other items Tenenbaum gives you.

McClain
10-08-2010, 01:25 PM
So if I'm a big wuss and playing on easy, I can probably get away with rescuing to get the extra stuff in the long run?

Adam
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Rescue. The ADAM pretty much evens out in the end, and the ending is far superior. Plus you can save right before the last one and see both endings.

DANoWAR
10-08-2010, 02:20 PM
This thread was made for me.

This thread is my future's past.

*goes back to playing Gothic 1*

Googleshng
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
If I remember right, harvesting gets you more ADAM overall, but not by very much, and you miss out on the unique tonics and the other items Tenenbaum gives you.

You get slightly more yeah, but the important thing is, you get more than enough to buy everything you should want to either way, if you're willing to wait for lowered prices later in the game, but not enough either way to grab everything the instant it becomes available. In practice, I think there's like, one or two points in the game where you can afford to buy one thing maybe 10 minutes earlier when harvesting than you would rescuing. Which is not in any way shape or form worth losing access to the single best power in the game, which lets you cast Charm Big Daddy.

This leads to my biggest complaint with Bioshock really- It doesn't provide any real incentive at all for murdering defenseless children. A lot of people stare at me when I say that but seriously. This is the problem I have with most moral choice systems in games. The practical benefit in taking the good path is always unquestionably better than going evil. I say taking the high road should inherently make the game harder over all, making it a challenge for me to stick to my principles, while going evil should provide constant mechanical rewards and guilt. When you go the other way the implication is that the player is essentially a sociopath, and slaughtering the innocent is a reward in and of itself... which says something really ugly about the developer and/or their perception of their target audience.

McClain
10-08-2010, 06:26 PM
This leads to my biggest complaint with Bioshock really- It doesn't provide any real incentive at all for murdering defenseless children. A lot of people stare at me when I say that but seriously. This is the problem I have with most moral choice systems in games. The practical benefit in taking the good path is always unquestionably better than going evil. I say taking the high road should inherently make the game harder over all, making it a challenge for me to stick to my principles, while going evil should provide constant mechanical rewards and guilt. When you go the other way the implication is that the player is essentially a sociopath, and slaughtering the innocent is a reward in and of itself... which says something really ugly about the developer and/or their perception of their target audience.

I did a little experimentation after saving, and it looks like the first couple ones give you double for harvesting. Now, I'm now sure how it all shakes out, but I could see if I were playing on hard it making a HUGE difference having that boost early.

But like I said, I'm a wuss, and I'm borrowing the game, so I want to get through it quickly and see as much as possible. In this case, it sounds like being a nice guy is the way to go.

Brer
10-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Now, I'm now sure how it all shakes out, but I could see if I were playing on hard it making a HUGE difference having that boost early.

By going consistently "good", rescued little sisters will leave a couple of presents for you at gatherers garderns. These include not only bonus plasmids and gene tonics, but something like 600+ units of adam. So not only does the good path give you more unique plasmids, I'm pretty sure you get MORE adam overall, not less.

Frankly I'm still waiting for a game where taking the traditional knight-on-a-white-steed options all the way through locks off getting a good ending for the game. Imagine if, for example, by the end of Mass Effect 3 you found out that by preserving the self-serving and dishonest Citadel Council and rejecting using Collector technology, it was literally impossible to hold off the Reapers, and the only endings were to watch all life exterminated or to try and survive by fleeing the galaxy in Ark Ships while -almost- all life was exterminated.

EDIT: Danowar, Gothic 1? Really? I like the Gothic series, but 1 is just too damn clunky for me.

McClain
10-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Frankly I'm still waiting for a game where taking the traditional knight-on-a-white-steed options all the way through locks off getting a good ending for the game. Imagine if, for example, by the end of Mass Effect 3 you found out that by preserving the self-serving and dishonest Citadel Council and rejecting using Collector technology, it was literally impossible to hold off the Reapers, and the only endings were to watch all life exterminated or to try and survive by fleeing the galaxy in Ark Ships while -almost- all life was exterminated.

This would REALLY piss some people off. That's the problem with good/evil options. It either has to be really obvious or not make much of a difference.

I suppose it could work in a super short game, maybe a freeware or something with a shitload of paths, but not in something that's 20+ hours long.

DANoWAR
10-09-2010, 02:02 AM
EDIT: Danowar, Gothic 1? Really? I like the Gothic series, but 1 is just too damn clunky for me.

Well, I've never played the other parts, so I don't know just how clunky the game is compared to them. ;-)

The things that bothers me about Gothic 1 are mainly bugs, I think. I've already found so many, I can only shake my head:

- people standing on tables and doing a merry-go-round
- monsters sticking in trees 50 feet above the ground.
- when I acquired sneaking, it was the beginning of hilariousness. I would sneak in huts and lockpick their chests while the people were sitting at a table right next to me.
- also, just running into a hut, getting shouted at and being followed, while calmly lockpicking the chest and snatching everything.
- I could lockpick a chest near the Bandit Leader, but if I tried to take the candle, he would kill me.

What aggravates me most is I use the mouse for looking and clicking on things, but everytime I have a battle there are weird glitches that make me nearly lose the battle. Like hard-locking on one enemy without being able to run.

Also, constantly jumping because I clicked a false mouse-combo.

Also, lockpicking a door, opening it, saving, then re-loading, and the door is closed again.

Ostrich
10-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Well, I just got a copy of Guild Wars from a friend. I've never played a true MMORPG before, so if I decide to install it this will be my first ever. You could say I'm LTTP with the entire MMO genre.

Is this one worth jumping into, at least for a "now and then" basis?

Dhroo
10-09-2010, 02:27 PM
This is a very good idea for a thread. I am totally going to give this thread hugs.

After more than like, a year, I'm finally getting back into Resident Evil 5, which I never finished, and was already pretty LTTP with anyway. I'm being reminded of all my old gripes about the game(particularly how much I have to babysit the AI most of the time in single player), but one thing in particular is bothering me: I'm having a hell of a time finding all the damn BSAA medals.

I'm normally good at this kind of thing! I laugh at the attempts that, say, either Uncharted game makes to hide treasures from me! But with these, it's not about finding the clever hiding place, it's about scanning every inch of the distant background until you find the little blue dot. That's bad secret hiding! A few of them are actually hidden in subtle ways within the game environment, but those seem to be in the minority.

I realize this is kind of a "this sucks because I'm not good at it" complaint, but still, it's frustrating.

Odin
10-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, I just got a copy of Guild Wars from a friend. I've never played a true MMORPG before, so if I decide to install it this will be my first ever. You could say I'm LTTP with the entire MMO genre.

Is this one worth jumping into, at least for a "now and then" basis?

I have a copy I got for cheap at Best Buy last Christmas, but haven't gotten around to playing yet. My roommate has sunk literally a YEAR of his life into playing Guild Wars, and several of my friends have played through all the campaigns, so yes it is worth jumping into.

Elements
10-10-2010, 10:24 AM
How old does a game need to be before it moves from LTTP to just retro-gaming? Because I just started playing Paper Mario last weekend. I know nothing about it, so, it's a fresh experience for me. It initially seemed too bare, but its become quite nice. I wish Mario moved faster, and I wish switching between my teammates had no animations, so I could speed up my toggling of their abilities in the field.

Nodal
10-10-2010, 10:35 AM
How old does a game need to be before it moves from LTTP to just retro-gaming?

Old enough so that somebody doesn't immediately say "X is retro? God I'm so old."

DANoWAR
10-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I'd say if you experience a game for the first time ever, it's LTTP, else it's retro-gaming ;-)

widdershins
10-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm LttP for 3 games at once right now!

I picked up Sky Odyssey for 5 bucks at a used game store on Loki's suggestion (via his wonderful Retronaut comic), and was not disappointed! Even though the two games couldn't be more dissimilar, it reminds me of the Stuntman series -- the game is murderously difficult, but the rush you get when you complete a stage is second to none. I think this is going to be my official rainy day game for a while.

I'd been afraid to start Etrian Odyssey, since I knew it would be a huge time investment. Also, somehow I misunderstood what everyone meant when they told me that I'd have to map the dungeons -- I thought I'd need a notebook sitting on my lap. Color me surprised when I found out that I'd be using the stylus to color in an in-game map! I absolutely love it, and will probably post about the exploits of Guild Caffeine in detail in the EO thread.

I did hit a slight snag last night though. I got to B2, and saw my first F.O.E. "Sweet!" I thought, "I'll go heal up at the inn and take this sucker on. He can't be that hard, right?"

I didn't save.

Then I got raped by a giant deer.

I will not be making this mistake again.

Luckily, when I closed my DS in frustration, I remembered that I'd just received Assassin's Odyssey Creed II in the mail! I was LttP on the first one when this game came out, and figured it was time for me to see what the buzz was about with this Ezio fellow. It was kind of slow to start, and fist fighting sucks, but once I got my concealed blade, I fell right back in love with the series. My favorite lines so far:

"You should find an outlet"
"I already have an outlet!"
"I meant other than vagina."

"Who are you?"
"Don't you recognize me, Ezio? It's-a me! Mario!"

The hidden messages are a pretty neat concept too. I was scratching my head for a sec with the first one until I did a couple of other ones and realized that the solutions are EXACTLY THE SAME in all the puzzles.*

*I'm waiting for the requisite Towers of Hanoi puzzle where I'm moving a bunch of fucking apples from disk to disk

Adrenaline
10-10-2010, 12:30 PM
By going consistently "good", rescued little sisters will leave a couple of presents for you at gatherers garderns. These include not only bonus plasmids and gene tonics, but something like 600+ units of adam. So not only does the good path give you more unique plasmids, I'm pretty sure you get MORE adam overall, not less.

No, you definitely get less ADAM if you rescue. I've corrected people thinking this here several times before, and they're still wrong when they say it.

McClain
10-10-2010, 12:54 PM
No, you definitely get less ADAM if you rescue. I've corrected people thinking this here several times before, and they're still wrong when they say it.

But would you say it's still worth it?

Googleshng
10-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Again, what it really comes down to in practice besides going for the good ending and your personal feelings on whether creepy little girls should be stabbed in the face or patted on the head, is this:
Would you rather have access to that kinda lame freeze power slightly earlier in the game than you could otherwise afford it (during a decidedly low-stress portion of the game at that), or would you rather head into some of the really nasty massed hordes fights near the end with the ability to throw something at the face of the deadliest thing in the room and have it kill everything else without you lifting a finger?

Getting slightly more ADAM doesn't really benefit you when there's already enough to get everything without that little bonus.

Adrenaline
10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
But would you say it's still worth it?

Yeah, the extra goodies probably makes it make gameplay sense to go for the good ending. But you still get less ADAM.

McClain
10-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Shit, I somehow managed to kill a Big Daddy but lost the Little Sister. Did I glitch the game? Am I fucked? What do I do if she disappeared from the room I'm in?

Edit: Nevermind, I found another one. I guess they just kinda wander around the levels? Also, I found several more than were listed as being on this level.

Rexman64
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Shit, I somehow managed to kill a Big Daddy but lost the Little Sister. Did I glitch the game? Am I fucked? What do I do if she disappeared from the room I'm in?

Edit: Nevermind, I found another one. I guess they just kinda wander around the levels? Also, I found several more than were listed as being on this level.
Yeah, if the Little Sister disappears during the fight (usually only happens if you've cast Hypnotize Big Daddy, though), you'll just have to go kill another Big Daddy. They'll keep spawning and calling Little Sisters out of the vents until you've rescued/harvested the 2-3 that spawn in that level.

Jikkuryuu
10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
How old does a game need to be before it moves from LTTP to just retro-gaming? Because I just started playing Paper Mario last weekend. I know nothing about it, so, it's a fresh experience for me. It initially seemed too bare, but its become quite nice. I wish Mario moved faster, and I wish switching between my teammates had no animations, so I could speed up my toggling of their abilities in the field.

I forget whether you need a badge (or two?) before this becomes viable, but z-dashing and then jumping to cancel the downtime is the fastest I've been able to move in the game.

McClain
10-12-2010, 12:53 PM
If I've played Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, is there any real reason to go back and play the N64 game?

Winter
10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I liked the N64 one a lot better than Thousand Year Door. Functionally, it's about the same, if a little less smooth, but it's got more of the traditional Mario charm, and I liked the enemies a lot more.

It doesn't really compare to Super Paper Mario, but if you really liked Thousand Year Door, it might be worth a try. If you were just kinda meh on it, it's probably not worth going back.

McClain
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I liked Thousand Year Door, but I feel like all the Mario RPG games start to drag a bit near the end. I might check it out if I ever dig out of my backlog.

Olli T
10-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I liked Thousand Year Door, but I feel like all the Mario RPG games start to drag a bit near the end. I might check it out if I ever dig out of my backlog.

Yeah, it's got the friggin' stupid "hey let's go to every previously visited location before the finale" thing that just takes an hour (or something?) out of your life. Still, it's one of my top ten games of all time.

EDIT: Paper Mario 64 was, IMO, somewhat weaker. Not quite as funny, which was the best thing about TTYD.

McClain
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Finished Bioshock. WOW! What a great game.

Some parting thoughts:
-I'll repeat what I said earlier: THIS is my idea of a scary game. I've never really liked "horror" games, mostly for gameplay reasons, but I love a game that can just creep me the fuck out.
-Creepiest splicers werethe "Irish Preachers." Hearing them singing "Jesus Loves Me" while scraping a pipe along the ground always got me.
-Did anyone else get an Epcot Center/World of Tomorrow ride gone horribly wrong vibe from all the scenes you see on the other side of a window? I know that separating you from the plot physically was a necessary mechanic, but I wonder if that vibe was intentional.

-Favorite gameplay part: when your plasmids go heywire and keep changing. It forced me to change the way I play the game and gave me a chance to use some powers I had been ignoring, or just never even bought
-Least favorite gameplay part: escorting the Little Sister. I hated having my vision obstructed by the Big Daddy helmet, and she was slow, and then she got stuck and I had to reboot.
-Favorite plot point: Bashing Ryan's head in, and the "would you kindly" twist. That whole segment was the peak of the game to me. The later half eventually became more video-gamey, especially the final boss.

Okay, so now the big question: Do I want to play Bioshock 2? I've heard that it was pretty meh compared to the first game, but I don't know if that's legit or just haters.

Falselogic
10-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Okay, so now the big question: Do I want to play Bioshock 2? I've heard that it was pretty meh compared to the first game, but I don't know if that's legit or just haters.

You do. It's fun and explores the philosophical opposite of a libertarian dystopia, which is of course a communal dystopia.

ASandoval
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
So for the first time ever, I opened my Saturn and popped in... ::deep breath::

Panzer Dragoon Saga

... unfortunately, I only wanted to test the game out and so I'm only at the first save point after the game's 18 minute (!) intro. My question now to people who've played it is would it be worth having it's own thread when I do get time to jump in? Or have so little people played it I might as well just chronicle thoughts here?

McClain
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
You do. It's fun and explores the philosophical opposite of a libertarian dystopia, which is of course a communal dystopia.

Neat! I'll have to track down/borrow a copy of that soon.

My question now to people who've played it is would it be worth having it's own thread when I do get time to jump in? Or have so little people played it I might as well just chronicle thoughts here?

If you are going to "chronicle" anything in depth I wouldn't feel bad making a thread. I made this one for people to make a random comment or question (and because I didn't want to make a whole thread for the three Bioshock posts I made).

DANoWAR
10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I'm currently playing Beyond Good & Evil.

I remember something about a horrible stealth section in the game. Is there more than one section like this? I just made it through the factory, which was okay and not too frustrating. So, any more to come?

Red Hedgehog
10-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I'm currently playing Beyond Good & Evil.

I remember something about a horrible stealth section in the game. Is there more than one section like this? I just made it through the factory, which was okay and not too frustrating. So, any more to come?

I... didn't find the stealth sections horrible, but there are at least three of them (two of which are mandatory).

DANoWAR
10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I... didn't find the stealth sections horrible, but there are at least three of them (two of which are mandatory).

I just thought that "the internet" had this notion that the stealth sections in BG&E are horrible. I kinda like them...and yeah, there are way more than three, at least counting the secret lairs. ;-)

Winter
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM

I'd say it's worth a try. It doesn't hit the spooky atmosphere nearly as well, but the gameplay's a little smoother, and the plot, although overall is probably worse, feels like it's better integrated into the game overall.

I'd definitely say it's a bit worse than Bioshock, but it's not a bad game by any means.

Adam
10-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Do I want to play Bioshock 2?

I thought Bioshock 2 was a lot of fun. The Bioshock 2 DLC is an awesome capper to the whole series.

McClain
10-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I thought Bioshock 2 was a lot of fun. The Bioshock 2 DLC is an awesome capper to the whole series.

Hmmm, so then the question becomes to I buy DLC for a game I borrow? Assuming I borrow it and don't find it for dirt cheap.

Adam
10-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Hmmm, so then the question becomes to I buy DLC for a game I borrow? Assuming I borrow it and don't find it for dirt cheap.

Just think of it as renting Bioshock 2 for 10 bucks and getting the DLC for free.

McClain
11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Okay, next up: Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm really digging the combination of brawler and exploration. Maybe it's just because I just started off and haven't unlocked much, but the combat feels a little stiff to me. I think I keep thinking there should be a jump button and more aerial stuff going on. Silly unrealistic fighting games trained me to air-juggle.

SlimJimm
11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
If there is a dude halfway across the room and you have a x3+ combo going you can just push the stick in their direction, press X, and Batman will fly over to him and super punch/kick him.

Ted
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm starting up StarCraft, and my knowledge of the game comes entirely from GSQ2 (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/19-StarCraft), Retronauts (episode 20-something), and the contents of the Battlechest box.

I'm really new to PC and RTS games, but the first four missions have been fun and the decade-old specs means it runs flawlessly on my wimpy netbook, ergonomics aside. Should be good times once I get my head around it.

Any advice to a complete neophyte to the title and genre?

OzymandiasAV
11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Okay, next up: Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm really digging the combination of brawler and exploration. Maybe it's just because I just started off and haven't unlocked much, but the combat feels a little stiff to me. I think I keep thinking there should be a jump button and more aerial stuff going on. Silly unrealistic fighting games trained me to air-juggle.

Beyond SlimJimm's very astute advice, I'd also recommend checking out the introductory combat/brawler side challenges (if they're unlocked). The early ones work as a really good training ground for combat, stacking up enemies right next to each other for easy combo retention, but revealing (through the tiered reward system) exactly how many points you're leaving on the table through busted combos.

As you go through those, you'll get into the rhythm of being more reactive in combat -- counterattacks are crucial -- and you'll get a sense for which tackles and flying kicks can interrupt enemy moves, which ones have enough range to make them viable for crossing big gaps in the room or escaping other inescapable attacks, etc.

I'm not sure why those challenges did the trick, but that's how I finally grokked the combat and, when a friend encountered the same stumbling block, it worked for him as well. Outside of the bogus boss battles, Arkham Asylum's weakest point is probably the poor communication of the core mechanics that make it such an interesting game.

McClain
11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Batman: AA: I just had my first scarecrow bit, and even though I was kind of expecting it, it was still freaky as hell! Very smart way to mix up the gameplay, too.

I was wondering if I should be doing those challenges as I go along or come back to them after I finish the story. I'll have to check those out when I get home.

Also, I'm playing on the PS3, so I got the free Joker DLC. Is it cool?

McClain
11-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Man, I keep feeling like I've hit a brick wall for my totally crappy stealth gaming ability in Batman, and then I find a away to beat the room. This game is VERY well designed, because I usually hate stealth segments in games.

Karzac
11-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Man, I keep feeling like I've hit a brick wall for my totally crappy stealth gaming ability in Batman, and then I find a away to beat the room. This game is VERY well designed, because I usually hate stealth segments in games.

The reason it's so good is that the stealth is very involved. You're not just sitting around waiting for someone to walk by, gliding, swinging, setting up traps and stringing motherfuckers up by their ankles. In other words, you're Batman and that's great.

McClain
11-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I spoke too soon. This part in Killer Croc's Lair can suck a nut. Serious.

Winter
11-27-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure if that really counts as a stealth sequence, function wise. As long as you keep holding the sneak button, it doesn't matter how fast you go, and there's no point to attempting to hide. It's more a matter of recognition and reflexes than stealth.

McClain
11-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure if that really counts as a stealth sequence, function wise. As long as you keep holding the sneak button, it doesn't matter how fast you go, and there's no point to attempting to hide. It's more a matter of recognition and reflexes than stealth.

I was speaking more for it being a bullshit segment that makes me hate the game. Specifically, it's an overly long instant death portion that you can't avoid. It's pissing me off something serious, and if I can't beat it coming back to it fresh later I'm going to call it quits.

Oscar
11-27-2010, 04:37 PM
As it turns out, Super Castlevania IV really is super!

Jeanie
11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I just picked up Batman for like $20. I'll post more later tonight.

Lucas
11-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I was speaking more for it being a bullshit segment that makes me hate the game. Specifically, it's an overly long instant death portion that you can't avoid. It's pissing me off something serious, and if I can't beat it coming back to it fresh later I'm going to call it quits.

This is how I felt about it too. Then I realized that there's not really much threat at all - have batarangs equipped, and whenever Croc's music starts playing look behind you and toss one. As long as you see the target reticule you'll hit the right spot, as I don't think you can target anything else down there.

It's still probably the low spot of the game, I'm with you on that that, but to me it's not worth giving up the rest of the game because of it.

Jeanie
11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I just picked up Batman for like $20. I'll post more later tonight.

I am Vengeance!

I am the night!

I!

AM!

Batman!

http://usschesapeake.org/weblogs/wayne/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/batman.jpg
Yeah, I like this, especially when I tried the first challenge and I ended up doing this Flawless Freeflow Combo for like 25 hits and I realized I can go right from a takedown to a counter easily.

McClain
11-27-2010, 06:54 PM
It's still probably the low spot of the game, I'm with you on that that, but to me it's not worth giving up the rest of the game because of it.

I'm too old and cranky and busy to be frustrated by games. I'll give it another chance or two coming at it fresh, but I've gotten to the point where I can walk away from a game pretty easily.

That said, I've often gotten stuck in games and come back to it later and gotten past it my first or second try. Gaming fatigue can really play hell with segments like this one.

McClain
11-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Ah, so all it took was coming back to it later fresh and calm (and with a little bit of whiskey). I still think it was shitty, but at least it sounds like it was the worst part of the game.

I'm really enjoying how the game brings me back to old areas without it feeling like backtracking. I also dig how when I did go way off the path to look for secrets, the game was smart enough to know I was doing that and had Riddler mock me. That really made me smile.

McClain
11-30-2010, 11:41 PM
TRIPLE POST! (sorry)

Finished Batman. I have to say, this game's narrative was better than probably half of the movies! It was a lot of fun. Even if Super Joker was kind of silly.

The Poison Ivy fight was a total bitch! If they didn't give you a checkpoint halfway through it might have lead to some serious controller throwing.

I don't really feel like spending a bunch of time trying to 100% it. Just tell me if it's worth anything big besides trophies.

Hopefully next up on my LttP Odyssey: Bioshock 2. Anyone want to loan it too me? (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=10764)

McClain
12-21-2010, 01:43 PM
SO I borrowed GTA4 from my brother the other week and have played it for a few hours. Some early impressions:

-This game has a pretty decent story! I actually like how serious and dark it is in places, and the voice acting is top notch.
-However, I miss some of the goofiness of San Andreas
-BUT the radio stations seem to be making up for it. The commercials and talk stations are hilarious!
- ... too bad the actual music isn't very good. I just can't seem to get into this sound track.

But most importantly
-The game suffers from the problem of ALL GTA games, and that's long missions without checkpoints. I don't understand why every mission in the game has to be boring driving to a location, and then a challenge I usually fail the first time, so I have to repeat the long, boring drive again and again. If I'm lucky, someone will have to ride with me, and I can listen to their dialog four or five times!

Also, I'm tired of having to go on man dates with my fucking cousin. I'm thinking about just being a dick and ignoring him for the rest of the game. Bad idea? Similarly, what's the real reason to keep a girlfriend? Do I eventually get a safehouse or missions or something from her?

Rexman64
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
-The game suffers from the problem of ALL GTA games, and that's long missions without checkpoints. I don't understand why every mission in the game has to be boring driving to a location, and then a challenge I usually fail the first time, so I have to repeat the long, boring drive again and again. If I'm lucky, someone will have to ride with me, and I can listen to their dialog four or five times!
Hey, at least you keep your weapons after dying. That fact alone makes GTA4 leagues better than its predecessors.

Also, I'm tired of having to go on man dates with my fucking cousin. I'm thinking about just being a dick and ignoring him for the rest of the game. Bad idea? Similarly, what's the real reason to keep a girlfriend? Do I eventually get a safehouse or missions or something from her?
Only reason for a girlfriend is story flavor. The man-dates will eventually get you a bonus from each character, like free cab rides from Roman (not very useful!). I'd at least build your relationship up with Little Jacob when you meet him, as his bonus is pretty useful--a discounted makeshift weapon shop.

Billy Mays Is AWESOME
12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Anybody who has a problem with long missions in GTA4 without checkpoints needs to go play the two expansions. Lost And Damned and Ballad Of Gay Tony both have very good missions, stories, and characters, but with good mid-mission checkpoints.

benjibot
12-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow, I can finally see why y'all were so gaga over Arkham Asylum (the video game) now. Playing through the first few areas really took me back to the first time I played Half Life, but with Batman. That's high damned praise right there.

Olli T
12-28-2010, 11:56 PM
It's hard to imagine AA without Batman, but even if that was somehow possible, it would still be a great game.

McClain
12-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I finally gave up on GTA for now to start playing the Fallout 3 I got for Christmas. I really liked Niko's story in a different way than CJ's from SA, but I just can't be assed to deal with that clunky structure. Also, this one seems to be a LOT more reliant on gunplay and cover and all that than the older games. Used to be, if you bought enough guns you could just plow through a GTA mission. I don't want to play gimpy Gears of War with a Russian accent here.

Maybe I'll come back to this later on.

Ooooh, also, I got a couple of months of Gamefly for Christmas, so after I clear out a bit of backlog I'm going to be trying to plow through some games from there. Should be a fun summer!

Rosewood
12-30-2010, 08:24 PM
I've already posted a couple times about Borderlands in the "Like What You're Playing" thread, so I'll move my blah blah here.

I played Lilith to lv. 18 at home, then went to my folks' for the holiday and played Roland to lv. 28 on my brother's 360. Unfortunately it is a new model that doesn't have a memory card slot so I couldn't use the profile and save I'd brought, nor could I take the Roland I played there home with me.

Anyhow, I enjoyed his (as played by me) more cautious style vs. how I was playing Lilith, "run in the middle of things and blow up like an atom bomb," so I started up another Roland at home who's now lv. 8.

The Diablo-style talent trees, leveling (character level and gun skills) and random weird/cool loot are big pluses with me, aside from its relatively gentle difficulty curve. Or at least I perceive it that way, since I'm likely the worst FPS player the earth has ever generated.

benjibot
01-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Man, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is the best thing.

bobbywatson
01-03-2011, 05:58 AM
I've already posted a couple times about Borderlands in the "Like What You're Playing" thread, so I'll move my blah blah here.

I played Lilith to lv. 18 at home, then went to my folks' for the holiday and played Roland to lv. 28 on my brother's 360. Unfortunately it is a new model that doesn't have a memory card slot so I couldn't use the profile and save I'd brought, nor could I take the Roland I played there home with me.

Anyhow, I enjoyed his (as played by me) more cautious style vs. how I was playing Lilith, "run in the middle of things and blow up like an atom bomb," so I started up another Roland at home who's now lv. 8.

The Diablo-style talent trees, leveling (character level and gun skills) and random weird/cool loot are big pluses with me, aside from its relatively gentle difficulty curve. Or at least I perceive it that way, since I'm likely the worst FPS player the earth has ever generated.
Did you try with a USB thumbdrive? I think MS added support for those last year...

McClain
01-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Man, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is the best thing.

I thought that too. At first. Then I got to the nth annoying stylus-based task and gave up. RPG good. Writing Great. Things that should be mini-games acting as a roadblock to progress BAD.

Rosewood
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Did you try with a USB thumbdrive? I think MS added support for those last year...

I wasn't aware of this (or the fact that my brother had bought a 360 that doesn't have memory card slots) at the time I moved my profile, but I am now!

Not that it ended up being a big thing, in the long run. My rebooted Roland has already made it to the point I stopped on my bro's 360.

McClain
02-19-2011, 02:46 PM
So someone was nice enough to send me a copy of Contact. After 80 hours of DQ9, this seems like it will be a nice pallet cleanser before jumping into DQ6.

The combat took me a few minutes to get used to, but I'm going to really like it. It seems simple at first, but I get the impression it's going to have plenty of depth with weapon and costume choices.

Is there a rule that every Atlus game must have cooking?

Glass Knuckle
02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm borrowing Xenogears from a friend and have been playing it for the first time over the last week. I'm up to the point where I've met the pirate/prince and we're trying to save a girl he knows from a castle I've just arrived at, and I honestly don't know what to say about it. I don't enjoy playing traditional RPGs in general anymore and I'm doing this more out of curiosity than because I expected to like it, but I think I've been out of the genre for so long that I can't even form a solid opinion anymore. The battle system is basically a very pretty fight command with a few extra skills here and there, the story is just anime and Star Wars running wild together, and the entire game's direction and mechanics make it feel like they were working on three or four separate RPGs, then scrapped everything and cut the pieces together at the last minute to create this.

Still, it's interesting to see the artistic links between this and FFT, so I'll keep playing it for the history lesson if not the game itself. I could use a little encouragement from anyone who liked it though. Does it stabalize into a sensible story at some point? Is there something special I should be looking forward to?

blinkpen
02-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Though wordier than necessary it maintains a pretty intriguing and epic plot for the first disc. It all falls to pieces on the second disc though and they ran out of budget and just started throwing chunks of story at you via narration and shit gets all convoluted.

Mind you this was quite a few years ago that I last played it and some of my tastes have altered since then so my reaction to the game today might be different.

TirMcDohl
02-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Plus, you'll meet my previous avatar a little later in the game, and boy howdy, if he isn't awesome.

Glass Knuckle
02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
I've got a few more specific things I'd like to say about the game and no reasonable way to string them together sensibly, so I'm just going to throw it all out there. Sorry if this post ends up being confusing.

This seems to happen every time I play one of these, but I like everyone who's been in my party except the main character. It's not really Fei's fault, but he's a walking sack of anime and game tropes that I'd rather not see anymore. He's got memory loss, doesn't want to pilot the giant robot despite being really good at it, has special magic powers that he doesn't understand, and he's a living macguffin that the bad guys need for their plans.

There's one thing about the opening that endeared me to the game right away. I've got a problem with romantic subplots in fiction, meaning that if it isn't written exceptionally well than I don't want to see it at all. Romance requires a lot more time and effort than other types of subplots, so it either needs to be kept in background and only hinted at now and then, or it's going to eat up a big chuck of the story and probably just waste a lot of time for no reason. RPGs generally can't handle it properly so I always groan a bit when one shows up, and the beginning of Xenogears made it look like Fei was going to get dumped into a particularly awkward one right away. Then she, and her village, exploded. Cue relieved laughter. Now Fei just needs to man up a bit and things'll be alright.

Bart's a pretty decent guy, but I sardonically dubbed him "sand attack" during the fight with Calamity and now I can't stop.

Early in the game, Citan leaves Fei back at Tattooine to go look for mech parts, and Fei just strolls out into the desert, on foot, to go after him. Hubugawha?

In the caves, there are giant insects that have taken over contruction mechs and use them in battle. Somehow I feel like this deserves some plot, or at least a reaction from someone. I mean, does this just happen now and then? Is there a mech/bug war going on? What?

What the hell is Dan? Is he a child or a hobbit or a little person or what?

ThricebornPhoenix
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
It's not really Fei's fault, but he's a walking sack of anime and game tropes that I'd rather not see anymore.

You could say that Fei develops more personality *snicker* later on, although just the fact that he has a hobby means he has more personality than most JRPG protagonists. I get all my anime tropes secondhand, and Xenogears was the first game I played in which they were noticeable, so I didn't have much of a reaction to him at first.

I've got a problem with romantic subplots in fiction, meaning that if it isn't written exceptionally well than I don't want to see it at all.
You haven't seen the last of romantic subplots, but I don't remember them being bad.

What the hell is Dan? Is he a child or a hobbit or a little person or what?
Dan is a child, about ten years old. His hair, however, is an anomaly.

ASandoval
02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
The problem with playing Xenogears retroactively is that the story is pretty painful overall. Most of it's ripped straight from Evangelion, and what was a mind-blowing twist if you happened to be young enough when the game came out is mind-numbingly obvious years later. Otherwise, it's not a bad game for say. The battle system was pretty innovative for the time and you can tell the whole thing is a labor of love. Much like a lot of the other Square EA titles of the time, it's a pretty unique experience.

Glass Knuckle
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
The artwork is what fascinates me about this. This is the most impressive sprite animation I've seen outside FFT, and it's inclusion in a 3D world alongside detailed models is an interesting thing to witness. It's a game caught at a time when sprite art was at its best, but FF7 had already established that 3D models were going to be the new RPG standard. Instead of trying to meet halfway, it just went ahead and did both, and did them well. The style of the character portraits (Dan's oddness aside) is also more impressive than I'm used to seeing, even from Square(soft)(-enix).

And yes, any chance of me enjoying the plot has been crippled by having seen it all so many times before. I really wish I'd played this back when it came out and I still liked the genre, as I would have much preferred it over FF7. That's why I'm trying not to be too harsh on it. Silly as it is, I don't think it's worse than anything else I played between FF6 and FF9. There was FFT of course, but SRPGs are a completely different thing and I still play them.

The worst thing about all this is that I'm just waiting for that other shoe to drop and make a mess of this already fragile narrative. It's like watching a newly repaired truck roll out onto the highway, then noticing that a bunch of important screws are still lying on the table. You KNOW the thing is going to fall apart spectacularly, but the damage is already done and all you can do now is watch and wait.

Also, now I feel kinda bad for my treatment of Dan in the tournament. I stuck to single light attacks and let the guy wail on me for a few rounds, thinking that leaving him alone might trigger something plot related. When this went on for a while and nothing happened, I just threw out the longest combo I could and ended it. By rights, that kid should have been splattered all over the stands.

Mazian
02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Also, now I feel kinda bad for my treatment of Dan in the tournament. I stuck to single light attacks and let the guy wail on me for a few rounds, thinking that leaving him alone might trigger something plot related. When this went on for a while and nothing happened, I just threw out the longest combo I could and ended it. By rights, that kid should have been splattered all over the stands.

Patience, patience. If you keep defending long enough, he runs off but leaves you an item -- his sister's wedding dress, which is inexplicably the best piece of armor you can get at this point. Nice but not plot-critical, and the armor is outclassed soon enough.

Oscar
02-28-2011, 03:04 AM
I just got to the end of Disc 1 of Final Fantasy VIII, and I'm actually having a really great time! I know the characters are kind of stupid, but the plot has kept me interested so far, and I enjoyed the way the first Disc was almost like a season of a TV show, cliffhanger ending and all (though Squall will obviously be back). The battle system is interesting and fun, and the graphics are so, so much better than FFVIIs. I think I'll have a little break, then continue with Disc 2.

Paul le Fou
02-28-2011, 03:10 AM
LttP: the entire current generation

I just got my wii in the mail from America, and it's time to catch up on Zelda and Kirby and Mario and No More Heroes 2 and and and!

Also it's about time to finally finish DQ9 after plugging away at it here and there for months. The final boss (I think) killed me, and I haven't mustered the will to grind a bit and go after him again so I can finally put the game down and go onto one of my other three games on the DS stack (OkamiDen, Pokemon White, Professor Layton 3), all of which are pretty LttP themselves!

Rosewood
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
My family has owned LoZ:LttP for close to 20 years, and only now am I getting around to seriously playing it.

This isn't my favorite kind of game, but I'm very impressed with how this is put together. It's always fun finding hidden treasure caches! The "progression of tools" doesn't seem as in-your-face as in some other Zeldas I've played, maybe because not every boss fight requires its dungeon's tool.

The following could easily draw derision from people who have no recollection of their pre-mastery phase with LttP, but whatever. I've been having a hard time with this game at points. But there's no penalty for failure beyond a bit of backtracking and/or fairy farming and/or looking at a walkthrough, which doesn't take much time at all, and revisiting early parts of a dungeon without a scratch gives me confidence to take on the parts where Link died before.

Kirin
02-28-2011, 11:17 AM
...and go onto one of my other three games on the DS stack (OkamiDen, Pokemon White, Professor Layton 3), all of which are pretty LttP themselves!

Just pretend you're in America, and you're actually still slightly early for Okamiden and Pokemon. Layton 3 I'll give you, though.

Elements
02-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I just got to the end of Disc 1 of Final Fantasy VIII, and I'm actually having a really great time! I know the characters are kind of stupid, but the plot has kept me interested so far, and I enjoyed the way the first Disc was almost like a season of a TV show, cliffhanger ending and all (though Squall will obviously be back). The battle system is interesting and fun, and the graphics are so, so much better than FFVIIs. I think I'll have a little break, then continue with Disc 2.

I've been having to fight the urge to play FF VIII again for a while now (if my current avatar doesn't make that obvious). The main thing I like asking people about on their first playthrough is how they're feeling about the swap-outs to Laguna. A lot of people hate every time they become Laguna, most of my friends always hated switching back to Squall. I was pretty much upset every time it switched, because I seemed to always be really into what was going on with the current character.

Xenogears. I really want to replay this someday, but when will I find the time? The game blew my mind back in the day. It was my first exposure to something with a world that just seemed psychotically huge for me to slowly get exposed to. Back then, trying to sort out what Ethos and Gebler were, getting so in-depth with one of two warring kingdoms, when I knew there was a whole other one, and the sky society over that... It was just the biggest RPG I'd ever seen. It had anime cutscenes, AND CG! It was the only RPG I knew of aside form Mario RPG where you could jump, and the first I'd played with something other than a generic "Fight" command. I really love the game, but I do wonder how I'd approach it with my modern sensibilities?

Glass Knuckle
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
I played FF8 for the first time only a year or two ago, and given the choice I would have much preferred to have the entire RPG be about Laguna. As it was, switching back and forth was always jarring, and there was never an adequate explanation for it. For that matter, the entire story after the first disc made no fucking sense.

I'm still trying to slog through Xenogears, and I've just met the obligatory moogle-ish thing. It's introduced as something the main characters think is a stuffed toy sitting in front of an important door, and they need to go tell the little girl who just joined us to move her toys so we can get into the room or something. Now it's just expressed its eternal love for Fei.

seriously what

Oscar
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Hmm. The first time you switch to Laguna I didn't mind; it was a nice change of pace, and I enjoyed the (albeit clumsily written) sequences with Laguna and the pianist woman. The second time... a slog through caves and generic warehouse-style areas filled with boring enemies? Not so much. I suppose it didn't help that, at that point in the game, I was on my way to Galbadia Garden and was pretty interested to see how it differed from the one in Balamb. Even so, I am curious as to how those sequences will fit into the main plot.

I think the low point of the game for me so far was the bit just before the assassination attempt, where you have control of Quistis and gang in the sewers. That area went on way longer than it needed to (though the section just after was one of my favourites, so the boredom quickly subsided).

McClain
04-13-2011, 01:37 AM
The journey continues...

I just wrapped up Bioshock 2. While it didn't have nearly the "wow" factor of the first, it's probably actually a better "game." Meaning they added a bunch of touches that made it more fun to play, even if the plot and atmosphere wasn't quite as effective.

Favorite bits: Seeing the way the world was twisted through the eyes of a little sister. Preparing for battle every time I set a little sister down to collect.

Least favorite bits: Being shot from behind by those fuckers that vanished before I could get a shot on them. Even though they added a lot of combat options, I felt it was much more chaotic shooter in places, and kind of missed the strategy of the first game. Listening to her constantly call me father. I got kind of tired of the plot, I guess.

So now the question is, do I care enough to buy DLC episodes for a game I rented?

blinkpen
04-13-2011, 01:47 AM
I played FF8 for the first time only a year or two ago, and given the choice I would have much preferred to have the entire RPG be about Laguna. As it was, switching back and forth was always jarring, and there was never an adequate explanation for it. For that matter, the entire story after the first disc made no fucking sense.

I'm still trying to slog through Xenogears, and I've just met the obligatory moogle-ish thing. It's introduced as something the main characters think is a stuffed toy sitting in front of an important door, and they need to go tell the little girl who just joined us to move her toys so we can get into the room or something. Now it's just expressed its eternal love for Fei.

seriously what

Just wait till it gets crucified.

Glass Knuckle
04-13-2011, 06:34 AM
It's been this long already? I've barely made any progress since that last post. Time to man up and finish this. After Oracle of Seasons. And FFT. And Minecraft...

Adam
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
So now the question is, do I care enough to buy DLC episodes for a game I rented?

YES. Minerva's Den is fucking fantastic.

McClain
04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
YES. Minerva's Den is fucking fantastic.

I keep hearing this. I guess this is a good way to get my money even if I didn't buy the game!

What about the other stuff?

McClain
04-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Wow. As promised, Minerva's Den was absolutely-

fucking fantastic.

Except for the weapon/power-ups being condensed, I almost liked it more than the main game. The story was touching as hell.

I feel like I'm totally done with Rapture now. It was an amazing world they created, but now I'm looking forward to the crazy sky city coming next time.

ultimatt
05-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I started playing Valkyria Chronicles this week, even though I've had it since before I had a PS3! (I was worried it was going to go out of print)

It's pretty good. I don't usually feel cheated in a battle, even though my characters seem to miss a lot. I'd like it if they could throw a grenade with some actual distance though.

The cutscenes are annoying though. It wouldn't be so bad if they would all auto scroll, but often I have to keep hitting the confirm button to make the conversation continue. It's annoying, as are a large chunk of their content.
I could do without the drill sergeant (and other side characters) yapping at me whenever I want to spend my experience points.

It's not perfect, but I'm having more fun with it than I was with Prototype and JustCause2. It's one of those 'one more turn/try' games that really can eat the hours away.

Kirin
05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Weapon upgrades will help with the "missing a lot" (by giving you a smaller target region when aiming), and one of the class upgrades introduces grenade launchers. Just so you have something to look forward to.

McClain
07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Wow, so Uncharted 2 is a beautiful as advertised. But I have a small nitpick in the early going: I totally respect that they want everything to be more organic and not have super-obvious grip points, but I feel like I've done way more wandering around looking for the path already than I did the entire first game. Could just be that I was playing it late last night.

In other LttP news, Gamefly has given me serious gamer ADD, and I've played several "meh" games for like a day, the most glaring of which was Epic Mickey. man, talk about potential wasted on boring fetch quests with a shitty camera.

Karzac
07-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow, so Uncharted 2 is a beautiful as advertised. But I have a small nitpick in the early going: I totally respect that they want everything to be more organic and not have super-obvious grip points, but I feel like I've done way more wandering around looking for the path already than I did the entire first game. Could just be that I was playing it late last night.

Protip: Look for anything that's a bright primary colour. That's probably where you want to go.

McClain
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm LttP to the entire Steam platform! I don't have a gaming PC, so I've never bothered, but I'm Humble Bundling my ass off.

Note: VVVVV is awesome, but damn near impossible when drinking.

criscamino
08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm LttP to the entire Steam platform! I don't have a gaming PC, so I've never bothered, but I'm Humble Bundling my ass off.

Note: VVVVV is awesome, but damn near impossible when drinking.

I bought my Humble Bundle 3 and got no. 2 as well so I have a whole lot of LTTPing to do. Utterly screwed up my Backloggery. I agree that VVVVVV is utterly brilliant, and nothing has made me squeal with such exquisite frustration since N+

ThricebornPhoenix
08-15-2011, 12:58 AM
I remember thinking, about ten years ago (give or take a few), that I would probably never get around to Bioshock. Now I'm proving me wrong! I'm also demonstrating how not to play an action game and how not to play an RPG* simultaneously. The ammo caps seem low - one minute, I can't collect any bullets because every single gun is full, and the next I'm flailing with my Wrench at a Big Daddy because I have no ammunition for anything (which is perplexing because I'm sure I didn't use all of those guns in the interim), and there's no ammo vendor around.

Speaking of the Wrench, does it remain the best weapon? I suspect it's meant to be symbolic, but....

*"Goodbye, useless fire Plasmid. Hey, what's this? Looks like I can't access a significant portion of this map unless I melt this ice, somehow. Also, there's no way to change Plasmids yet. So... who do I blame for this mess?"

McClain
08-15-2011, 01:11 AM
The key to enjoying Bioshock is to play on easy. You will be swimming in ammo, and really, I think the story is way better than the combat, so why not just breeze through it?

I think if you are stuck needing a certain power you should be able to find a place to switch them, even if you have to backtrack a while.

I think you can power up the wrench to be the best, absolutely.

Googleshng
08-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Speaking of the Wrench, does it remain the best weapon? I suspect it's meant to be symbolic, but....

I used point blank electrified shotgun rounds to take down big daddies, and the wrench for absolutely everything else in the game. It's pretty terrific.

ThricebornPhoenix
08-15-2011, 12:27 PM
The key to enjoying Bioshock is to play on easy. You will be swimming in ammo, and really, I think the story is way better than the combat, so why not just breeze through it?
I don't know that I'm good enough to 'just breeze through' even on easy, but I'm doing alright so far on normal. Just wish I didn't have to backtrack long distances to pick up ammo I couldn't hold before whenever I run low.

I think if you are stuck needing a certain power you should be able to find a place to switch them, even if you have to backtrack a while.
I had to go to the next area to find the first Gene Bank. I've been in this situation before, in... certain RPGs. Should've seen it coming, honestly. You have to expect some annoyances in anything with 'RPG elements'.

I used point blank electrified shotgun rounds to take down big daddies, and the wrench for absolutely everything else in the game.
Electrified buckshot is amazing. I don't normally like shotguns in video games, but so far it's my top pick, after the Wrench.

Feynman
08-15-2011, 01:33 PM
I used point blank electrified shotgun rounds to take down big daddies, and the wrench for absolutely everything else in the game.

That is exactly the same as my fighting style.

I usually go melee in System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as well. I have a bizarre quirk wherein I always, always go for close combat options in games. Even in games with an emphasis on gunplay and no proper melee option, you can bet I'll be the guy using shotguns from point blank almost exclusively.

Glass Knuckle
08-15-2011, 01:58 PM
*brofist*

I do this so often that it's actually the reason I chose this name. I had been going by Glass Cannon for a while until I realized that the cannon part wasn't quite accurate. The fact that the wrench was a viable option for the entire game was one of the few things I liked about Bioshock.

As for LTTP, I started Dark Void a while back. Avoiding gun use when possible made the intro tolerable (his bear hug attack when meleeing from a vertical ledge is fantastic), and the jetpack controls are a lot more fun than I was expecting, but everything I've heard tells me that the fun parts don't last very long. I've only played the first jetpack mission where you blow up two floating bases or something and fight a giant robot, and I'm kind of afraid to go back and finish it because I really don't want to watch a good idea like this sputter and die.

McClain
08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
That is exactly the same as my fighting style.

I usually go melee in System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as well. I have a bizarre quirk wherein I always, always go for close combat options in games. Even in games with an emphasis on gunplay and no proper melee option, you can bet I'll be the guy using shotguns from point blank almost exclusively.

When i started my second playthrough of Fallout 3 I was going to specialize in melee. I need to finish that run some day.

ThricebornPhoenix
08-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Today I managed to get stuck, physically. I backed into a corner to lure a Leadhead Splicer closer, but couldn't get out. Looking on the bright side, I think that's been my worst setback so far.

I don't know what it is, exactly, but the game seems to be getting progressively less scary. I'm sure it helps that I'm getting used to things and pretty much have it all figured out, but there's more to it than that. I think one part is the ambiance - it seems like the light gets better with every new area, and there haven't been any real surprises in a while. I think that, during testing, this was brought to the attention of someone without the talent or resources to do anything good about it, which is where the "not really dead bodies" come into play. Oh well, at least it was legitimately tense until about when that started.

I usually go melee in System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as well. I have a bizarre quirk wherein I always, always go for close combat options in games.
I greatly favor mid-to-long range combat. Give me something with a scope and I'll be happy. Rapture's short, winding hallways (every hallway) and rooms full of tall barriers (every room) are oppressive to me. Thankfully, my Wrench now drinks blood, and I just discovered that the Crossbow has a good zoom (wish I'd known that sooner).

Nodal
08-17-2011, 07:12 AM
If there's a way to play Goldeneye Wii that isn't punching dudes to death through glass walls, I don't want to know it.

McClain
08-17-2011, 07:34 PM
If there's a way to play Goldeneye Wii that isn't punching dudes to death through glass walls, I don't want to know it.

*move to top of gamefly Q*

ThricebornPhoenix
08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Wasn't there a grenade launcher in the original? What happened to that?

Tanto
08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
How have I gone this long without playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time? All those years spent playing games other than Sands of Time, wasted.

It wasn't even a case of incompatible hardware like most of my "You've never played what!?" games. I've had a Gamecube since launch. There was absolutely nothing stopping me at any point in the last seven years from walking up to the counter and saying "One Prince of Persia, please; here is money dollars." And yet I never did.

I are dumb.

Kirin
06-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Hey look I found a generic LTTP thread to post in!

Anyway, I think a bunch of folks including me recently picked up Child of Eden for like $10, so let's talk about it maybe?

It sure is Rez with extra shiny, yup yup.

Not entirely thrilled with the mechanic of drawing out the initial play-time by making you replay early levels to get enough stars to unlock the later ones, but it's not too bad. Sort of wishing I had an actual move controller, since it wouldn't have the necessary speed limit on the analog-controlled target reticule, plus wouldn't make my thumbs sore. Though I suppose it'd probably make my arm tired pretty quick.

Some of the gallery unlocks and trophies are kind of ridiculous. Pretty sure I won't be going for 100% on this one. But I'm looking forward to the other stuff in the Extras menu (presumably starts unlocking after you beat the game once?) I just hope the filters and music variation things aren't too hard to unlock.

Kirin
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
On further reflection, my only realy gripe with this game is the levels are Too Darn Long. If I could rebuild it to my preferences, I'd basically split every level in half. For a shooter where you're holding down buttons constantly, each one feels like a marathon.

Still really pretty, though! Beat world 4 literally half a second before I was about to die from taking my last hit. Hope world 5 isn't insane. The other problem with really long levels is dying near the end results in no progress for your last 15 minutes (yes yes, except knowing the level better, but meh, I want concrete progress).

Alixsar
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't know, the levels are about long as Rez levels were. I played a bit last night and died late in the end of Journey and had to start over, and that was a bit irritating yeah. Journey isn't bad, but there's a part at the end where these giant snake things attack you (they are, essentially, the final boss) and I kept getting hit by them but I'm not exactly sure how they were doing it or how to stop it. So I just use my bombs during that part which kills them instantly. But other than that, I feel like Journey is actually kind of easy. I far and away had the hardest time with Beauty, the third stage.

Still, taken as a whole, I feel like the game is easier than Rez. I haven't tried Hard mode or the "challenge" level you get after being Journey, though.

ghosttaster
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM
As it turns out, Super Castlevania IV really is super!

Indeed. Indeed it is, my friend. So super, in fact, that I'd be interested in seeing a list of how many other games, so affixed with that particular term, could truly be deemed to stand up to the implications.

Traumadore
06-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm also playing Child of Eden. I like it a lot, and I don't mind replaying levels since I'm going to anyway. I actually haven't played past level 3 yet, because indeed my arm does get tired after about 30 minutes. I could probably do better if I switched the flick-to-fire to hold-and-release, but it's not as fun. The last few moments of each boss fight just flailing to the rhythm unloading perfect locks is great.

Kirin
06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm wondering if the timing on Perfect locks would be easier with move... I can get them *fairly* often on the controller, but I've yet to manage 10 in a row ever, much less the sort of consistency that's needed for really high scores.

Also, beat the game. The last level was pretty fun, and indeed not as hard as levels 3 and 4 for the most part. And now... ironically, I'm wishing I had more incentive to just replay levels. I'm not really digging the way they set up the post-game rewards.

Beating the game unlocks Hard mode, a video, and one visual filter (that's pretty much just Invert). Apparently to unlock anything else of note you have to either beat the Challenge level (which gets quite difficult in a few spots and has no item pick-ups), or beat *every* level on Hard. I beat the first two, but I really don't much feel like pounding my head against 3 and 4 while taking double damage. This doesn't leave me with a lot of replay incentive. I really wish they'd tossed in, say, a bunch of filters you could unlock with cumulative star points (which it's still keeping track of, but afaik are useless once you've unlocked level 5).

Oh, and I still don't even know what the center-bottom thing in the Options menu is, since it didn't unlock. Speaking of which, man, did nobody play this game when it came out? It has pretty much zilch information at GameFaqs, which is kind of unusual.

Anyway, despite my gripes about unlocks, I enjoyed the game. I wouldn't put it above Rez in any respect other than the shiny HD graphics, but I don't think it's significantly worse either. Worth my ten bucks for sure!

McClain
06-26-2012, 08:43 PM
LIMBO: A play in three acts.

Act 1: AAAAAAAAAA, SPIDERS!

Act 2: AAAAAAAAAA, BRAIN SLUGS!

Act 3: I ... don't think I'm smart enough for these puzzles!

Thank you.

(oh, and what the hell was up with the game showing me butterflies and a meadow and what looked like a normal girl, then brain slugging me in the other direction, and then when I got back there it changed into more nightmare fuel? Not cool!)

Googleshng
06-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Thank you.

(oh, and what the hell was up with the game showing me butterflies and a meadow and what looked like a normal girl, then brain slugging me in the other direction, and then when I got back there it changed into more nightmare fuel? Not cool!)

A- You're plenty smart for them, they're just surprisingly fiddly and rely on some seriously careful timing.

B- To answer your rhetorical spoiler question with a massive spoiler, the whole game is kind of a knockoff of an earlier, more obscure flash game, which was itself a blatant shallow imitation of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge so the girl is like, a glimpse of the real world as your eyes flutter open for a sec or somesuch BS. I mean, I enjoyed the gameplay, and the art style, but the attempt to be all deep and meaningful is just pathetic here.

McClain
06-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I need to remember to come back and check that spoiler later.

Part of the problem is my not being great with the controls. I never like playing games on a keyboard, but using a PS3 controller I sometimes mess up with the up-for-jump, even though I also mapped up to a face button.

I hope I can brute force my way through the game because I'm freaking loving it so far and I'd hate to not be able to see all of it because I got stuck.

Alixsar
06-27-2012, 12:33 AM

Thank you.

Best game ever, right?

Don't worry about Google's spoiler. It's not even a spoiler. He's attributing things to it that aren't related to the game and coming to conclusions based on that.

Incidentally, what the hell game did you even play Google? Limbo is really not trying to be "deep" at all.

McClain
10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Dusted off my Gamefly account in anticipation of the WiiU launch and trying out a flurry of shitty launch games, so I'm back to my LTTP journey.

Right now I've got my hands on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I never completed, and barely even played, the first Silent Hill, way back in college, so I'm coming at this fairly blind.

I'm really digging the way the game messes with you. I'm pretty early on, but I just did the bit where the shrink gives you a picture to color of a house and a couple, and then you snap back to the story, and naturally my house had the blue paint with red door that I gave it. Cute. But then I opened it and the dude and woman in the house had on the color of shits I had intended for MY family! Not cool!

So far I'm liking the exploration and the atmosphere, but I haven't been that "scared" yet. The chase bits are more frustrating than anything, and I'd almost rather not even have them, just play a creepy exploration game. I AM looking forward to seeing how much the game screws with me later on and I hope that it's short enough that I will be able to try replaying it with different answers/actions before returning it.

Michelle seems to think this is one of the more annoying games to hear in the background ever.

McClain
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
jflksd;jfl;sdajfl;asjdflksda

well, so much for that.

I got completely stuck in the school running bit and ragequit last night. I came back to it tonight and brute forced my way past it, only to run into a fucking game-stopping bug in the underwater car bit. Apparently I touched something at the wrong time and it didn't activate later when I needed it to! (Gamefaqs called it the radio, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be the heater.) So naturally when I rebooted I was back in the goddamn school!

Sorry, Shattered Memories. I really liked your ideas, but your game was too flawed.

Googleshng
10-27-2012, 01:09 AM
That sounds to me less like the game bugging out, and more like you putting too much faith in a walkthrough written by a monkey. Or do you mean the game literally just kinda froze up completely?

Droewyn
10-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I started the 3DS Kid Icarus this week, and the controls are pretty awful.

Southpaws: How did you set up the controls? Because I lack precision in my right hand to use the touch pad for aiming, but using the circle buttons for the same thing doesn't seem to be an improvement.

On the other hand, trying to use the circle buttons for movement so that I can use the touch pad for aiming with my left hand is OH FUCK NO.

The Pit/Palutena dialogue is the best thing, though.

Troa11
10-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I actually just started this myself a bit ago and as a southpaw it took a while to find something I'm mildly comfortable with.

Basically, I have to aim with my left hand on the touchscreen (I have one of those larger, pen-like stylii if that makes a difference), and move with the BAYX buttons. Because it's aiming and not movement that requires analog precision, this works pretty well...though it's still not perfect. Add to that the fact that I bought the game used with no stand and am playing on a 3DS XL makes for some physically exhausting sessions.

Despite all that I'm still enjoying myself so far, so we'll see what happens!