PDA

View Full Version : Digital Down-Low for 10/13/2010: It's Dangerous to Go Alone... Take This!

Octopus Prime
10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
It's a cold, rainy day. So why not play video games without needing to leave the house?

Both XBLA and PSN lead the pack with Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1. Which I think makes the first time that the same game has appeared on all three download services at the same time. Anyhoo, according to the words of Talking Times own Ms. Kat Bailey (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181842), the games honestly good. Not just "By Sonic the Hedgehog Standards", either, apparently.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/BANG.png

Both services ALSO got Dead Space: Ignition, a prequel to Dead Space 2 that is a collection of minigames. Because the minigames were everyones FAVORITE part of the original Dead Space.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/skelecot.png

PSN also got a couple of PS1 games, one of which was alluded to in the title to this thread! The other one was Arc the Lad, an early-PS1 SRPG. I am aware that the sequels are all supposed MUCH better, but the original is... boring as hell. But if you're looking for an SRPG that you can beat in an afternoon, and not grab your interest at any point along the way, then hey, look no further.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/GuyBangcott.png

The PS1 game that IS worth the price of admission this week is Alundra, which is arguably the best Zelda-inspired game on the PS1. And since I don't think I can name many other ones on the PS1, I think it wins that spot by default. You take Anime-Elf Man into peoples brains to fight The Evils Within! Includes a vintage Working Designs localization! For good or for ill!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/OctopusPrime/BANG.png

PSP got two games go up for download, FIFA Soccer 11. Which is a new FIFA game from EA.

...if I knew more about the average quality of EAs non-golf sport franchises, I might be able to comment more on that.

But I don't, so "A new FIFA game from EA" is what you get.

There's also NBA 2K11. And you can just pretend I said the exact same thing. Except with "NBA" replacing FIFA, and 2K replacing EA.

Remember: Next week has Meat.

sraymonds
10-13-2010, 07:17 AM
But will it have double meat?

Loki
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM
FIRST of all, it's a SRPG, for fucks sake Prime!

SECOND of all it's kinda charming and fun and certainly doesn't deserve a dead billy face.

Eusis
10-13-2010, 08:00 AM
FIRST of all, it's a SRPG, for fucks sake Prime!

SECOND of all it's kinda charming and fun and certainly doesn't deserve a dead billy face.
Yeah, for $6 it's pretty inoffensive, there's definitely worse games to play through on there. A solitary full price retail release would've been weak, but only Japanese early adopters put up with that.

Octopus Prime
10-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Well maybe I was being a bit harsh since I was expecting steakhouse and getting McDonalds.

Wheels
10-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Well maybe I was being a bit harsh since I was expecting steakhouse and getting McDonalds.

you expected a good steak for $5.99?

TheSL
10-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Arc the Lad 1 was like a 5 hour game if I remember right. Arc 2 was like a bajillion hours to make up for it, though.

Octopus Prime
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM
you expected a good steak for $5.99?

I didn't say it was a reputable steakhouse

Sprite
10-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Arc the Lad has Poco, a playable marching band member who destroys his enemies using the power of music. He crushes their skulls with his cymbals. He is the greatest party member in the history of party members. The only reason to give the game a "meh" is that in the face of the awesomeness of Arc the Lad 2 (which also contains Poco, who is even more awesome), it is pretty meh, but Arc the Lad 2 uses your Arc the Lad save file, and some of the cooler optional bits are only available that way (specifically, you will be very happy if you complete the 100 floor dungeon).

So yeah, Arc the Lad is a decent game that makes its exemplary sequel even greater. It is definitely worth the $6.

kaisel
10-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Arc the Lad has Poco, a playable marching band member who destroys his enemies using the power of music. He crushes their skulls with his cymbals. He is the greatest party member in the history of party members. The only reason to give the game a "meh" is that in the face of the awesomeness of Arc the Lad 2 (which also contains Poco, who is even more awesome), it is pretty meh, but Arc the Lad 2 uses your Arc the Lad save file, and some of the cooler optional bits are only available that way (specifically, you will be very happy if you complete the 100 floor dungeon).

So yeah, Arc the Lad is a decent game that makes its exemplary sequel even greater. It is definitely worth the $6.

With the "awesome" side effect of not caring about how Arc the Lad 2 changed their stats or something, so your high-level Arc the Lad 1 characters end up being terrible in Arc the Lad 2. It's not right when a level 60 character is being outdamaged and has less hit points than a level 30 guy.

Still though, combined their a really good game, I just don't know if I'm going to do that 100 floor dungeon again, if I pick this up.

KCar
10-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Beat the 100 floor dungeon. The item you get is insane, if I recall.

Yeah, Arc the Lad is really "meh," but a great prelude to what comes after. I own the collection for PS1 (I also own the two deluxe Lunars - booyah), and sadly, have never finished 2 - and it's been so long I'd have to start from the beginning. Alundra for 6 bucks, however, is a steal and a half.

Wheels
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I didn't say it was a reputable steakhouse

Well, what reputable steakhouse prices their steaks for like less than $20?

Traumadore
10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Well we're talking about 10+ year old steaks here and this analogy is ridiculous.

Wheels
10-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Well we're talking about 10+ year old steaks here and this analogy is ridiculous.

what, steaks don't get better with age like fine wine?

bobbywatson
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM

If you like them rotten, yes they do. It's always a matter of taste.

Refa
10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Sonic 4 looks pretty good, albeit a little derivative of Sonic 1. Alundra looks amazing, and for $6 is a great deal. BTW, if you guys don't help support Arc The Lad so that it sells 30,000 copies, there will be NO Arc The Lad 2.

MetManMas
10-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Sonic 4 looks pretty good, albeit a little derivative of Sonic 1.

And DiMPS' own Sonic Advance and Rush games were already derivative of Sonic 1. There's been so many "I wish I was Green Hill Zone" zones that I'm actually getting sick of seeing those checkered orange tiles. =/

I'll be buying this eventually since DiMPS Sonic's usually pretty okay, but it's too soon after Risky's Revenge for me to judge it fairly.

Sarchasm
10-14-2010, 07:46 PM
I'll be buying this eventually since DiMPS Sonic's usually pretty okay, but it's too soon after Risky's Revenge for me to judge it fairly.

Sonic 4 isn't bad by any stretch, but if you've been spoiled by Sonic Rush it's hard to go back. Sonic just feels heavy and sluggish in this one. It takes forever to get him up to speed, and the slightest mistake means you have to make anoter excruciatingly slow standing start or do a spin dash to get back up to speed. It's like someone replaced Sonic with an old mower that occasionally peters out and has to be revved up again.

spineshark
10-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Beat the 100 floor dungeon. The item you get is insane, if I recall.

Yeah, Arc the Lad is really "meh," but a great prelude to what comes after. I own the collection for PS1 (I also own the two deluxe Lunars - booyah), and sadly, have never finished 2 - and it's been so long I'd have to start from the beginning. Alundra for 6 bucks, however, is a steal and a half.
I bought the (complete) copy I gave away at Festivus for $10 about four years ago. A few months later the store I got it from went out of business.

Another place moved into the same parking lot about a year ago, and I got an EVO cart for $24. Somehow that shop's not gone yet!

Nodal
10-15-2010, 01:16 AM

The steak has gone to vinegar.

Wheels
10-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Sonic 4 isn't bad by any stretch, but if you've been spoiled by Sonic Rush it's hard to go back. Sonic just feels heavy and sluggish in this one. It takes forever to get him up to speed, and the slightest mistake means you have to make anoter excruciatingly slow standing start or do a spin dash to get back up to speed. It's like someone replaced Sonic with an old mower that occasionally peters out and has to be revved up again.

Sounds exactly like the original games played.