PDA

View Full Version : Fable 2 redux

shivam
10-23-2010, 05:07 PM
So i availed myself of the accident of microsoft and downloaded the entirety of fable 2 for free. Now i'm wandering around this beginning area and getting into the setting, and its passably interesting. Good enough to take me away from grinding in DQ, at least, and enough to get me to actually pick up an xbox controller again.

what should i be doing?

reibeatall
10-23-2010, 05:10 PM
When you get to your first big city (Bowerstone), you'll have to take up a job blacksmithing to make money. If you're anything like me, you'll keep doing it for about an hour, then you'll buy houses and shops so they can get you money.

You get money from the jobs as well as your real estate; every five minutes your game is on, you get money for the places you own and are renting out. If the system's off, you get some when you turn it back on, but it's considerably less than if it was on.

Also, it's going to kill you, but you CAN'T do everything your first playthrough. There are either/or missions where if you're good you go one place, and bad you go another. Just get used to it and remember those for a second playthrough.

daroga
10-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I got this too from the same glitch (viral promotion?).

After Kirby I intend to play this. What should I be doing? I already got an achievement for kicking a chicken, so that's one thing to check off the list.

SilentSnake
10-23-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm still kind of shocked that this free Fable 2 thing was a real thing.

Knight
10-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I also got this from the free Fable 2 glitch, and I think I might try to play it again before 3 comes out, especially since I just got Lt. Colonel in Reach, so I'm gonna take a little break from that.

So are there multiple save files? I might be able to beat it again in 4 days, but I want to make sure I still have a save file to import into Fable 3.

reibeatall
10-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Knight, there aren't multiple save files, unless you have multiple storage devices (USB drive, for example.)
re: importing into Fable 3: I don't think it does a whole lot; they've been sorta mum on the whole thing.

Sarcasmorator
10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Knight, there aren't multiple save files, unless you have multiple storage devices (USB drive, for example.)

Only one save file per character, but you can have multiple characters.

Violentvixen
10-23-2010, 06:28 PM
There is so much to do, I started playing again after the free one as well.

You should buy books! This is how you learn expressions and dog tricks and how you train your dog to be better at finding treasure. You won't be able to get all of them at Bowerstone, but you'll see some traveling book merchants from time to time and should buy books from them. There are a couple quests that need specific expressions.

Oh, and a quest series that will earn you a lot of reknown fairly easily is started by talking to the archaelogist in Fairfax Gardens (also once you get to Bowerstone).

As I'm sure you figured out, if you kill enemies with magic you get more magic experience, melee attacks you get more strength experience, gun/bow you get skill experience. You'll need to get one of the skill levels up (I think it's Style) for aiming/targeting, so I'd focus on leveling that up right away, and use it to shoot any gargoyles who are yelling at you from buildings.

Overall, just don't worry about being in a rush to get anywhere. I wouldn't waste tons of time exploring areas until your dog to a top-level treasure hunter, though.

Finally, (apologies for the vague wording, trying to avoid spoilers) something happens later that makes a lot of time pass and a lot of your choices determine how the world will be after this point. While they aren't technically missables because it's based on a choice, if you're the sort of person who gets annoyed at missing things you'll want to read these spoilers: You'll have the choice of aligning yourself with the Temple of Light or the Temple of Shadow. Whichever one you don't choose is destroyed. A guy named Giles wants help getting rid of bandits. You want to help him if you want what is possibly the best gun in the game and one of the best houses. Finally (this is pretty late in the game), the guy who took your picture when you were a kid wants you to invest in some real estate. Do it!

On another note, there's that Xbox Live Dolls Achievement and general coop play options. Would anyone be interested in doing this sometime? I have yet to play coop in this game and would like to see how it works.

shivam
10-23-2010, 06:39 PM
i'll play coop with ya!

also, does it matter who i marry?

reibeatall
10-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Only one save file per character, but you can have multiple characters.

I have no idea how to have a different hero other than a different hard drive.

Nodal
10-23-2010, 06:46 PM
i'll play coop with ya!

You should date them for a while first to get to know them.

Lucas
10-23-2010, 06:49 PM

I've mentioned this before (in relation to this game even, if I recall correctly) but if you just make a separate profile it'll let you have a second save file on the same drive.

Violentvixen
10-23-2010, 06:56 PM
i'll play coop with ya!

Yay! I'll probably be on tomorrow evening, does that work for you?

I don't think it does, as long as they accept. Supposedly some personalities are more likely to get mad and divorce you, but I honestly don't know much about it.

TheSL
10-23-2010, 07:43 PM

If you choose "new game" it creates a new save file. When you start up from then on it gives you a list of all the files to choose from; it just assumes you're going to want to load the only save you've got before you create a second one.

dussssstin
10-23-2010, 07:56 PM
I never finished it when it came out so I spent this weekend doing it.

Turns out I was only 30 minutes away from the ending.

I've been really excited for Fable 3, but now that I've played F2 again, I hope they change the combat and the tightness of the controls.

shivam
10-23-2010, 08:01 PM
so here's the most annoying thing in the world-- walking somewhere, and accidentally casting a spell because b isn't cancel in this game. or accidentally pulling a weapon or wahtever.

and i hit a to talk to people and sometimes nothing happens. and all sorts of other weird things about the interface.

that said, this game reminds me a hell of a lot of daggerfall. really open worldy.

sraymonds
10-23-2010, 08:03 PM

I dunno, let me ask my wives

Bongo Bill
10-23-2010, 10:35 PM
The important thing about Fable 2 is that the main storyline is aggressively stupid if you stop to think about what it has you doing, so don't do that.

The game has six save files, but it doesn't show you the save file selector unless more than one exist. You can't make copies of them; a Hero can only exist on one file.

shivam
10-23-2010, 10:37 PM
i just want to see what the lady hero looks like.

dussssstin
10-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Not as stupid as the male hero.

Winter
10-24-2010, 12:03 PM

She looks fine at first, then starts to look really mannish as you add physical points. Nobody at Lionhead has ever seen a muscular woman in their entire lives. Just making her look more like Hammer would have been preferable to having her get so... broad.

shivam
10-24-2010, 12:28 PM
so i'm actually enjoying this game! the characters are charming, the art is pleasant, and the minigames are fun. i spent a lot of time last night chopping wood and making swords, and buying small fish and vegetable stands.

Haven't figured out how to get people to sleep with me yet. Or how to not keep dying in combat. what are good healing items, and how do i assign items to my crosspad?

Sarcasmorator
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Potions are the best healing items. I can't remember just how to assign items, but it can be done from somewhere in the menu screen. You get people to sleep with you by getting them to really like you, whatever the "let's get it on" expression is called, then leading them to a bed you own, I believe. If you don't have the expression you can't get it on.

reibeatall
10-24-2010, 12:34 PM
so i'm actually enjoying this game! the characters are charming, the art is pleasant, and the minigames are fun. i spent a lot of time last night chopping wood and making swords, and buying small fish and vegetable stands.

Haven't figured out how to get people to sleep with me yet. Or how to not keep dying in combat. what are good healing items, and how do i assign items to my crosspad?

To get people to sleep with you: charm them until they're good and ready, and you'll probably get a prompt saying "they want to bone you." Just use the "follow" expression, then go to a bed (either one in an inn or a house you own) and when you select the bed, you can choose to have protected or unprotected sex.

Assigning items to crosspad: Can't do it. It's a context crosspad. If you're hurt, your health items will appear there, so basically just be sure you have them in your inventory.

Violentvixen
10-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm probably going to be playing in a bit if anyone wants to try co-op. I looked it up online and it seems pretty odd so we'll see if it's worth doing.

shivam
10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
so basically, i can download free versions of the DLC quests,but have to buy the quests anyway?

cortbassist89
10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
The free ones are so you can co-op with people who have them, right?

And shivam just know that one of my wives was a hooker, and my character caught like 50 stds from her.

Bongo Bill
10-27-2010, 05:25 PM
The free ones are just for co-op compatibility. If you want to play them, you have to either buy them or join the game of someone who has bought them.

I think they do include teasers of a few new items that the packs introduce, though.

shivam
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
lame.

Eusis
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I'd just buy the platinum hits edition if I want the DLC enough (and I very well may do so, but not right now). They fixed the version you download, so I'd rather have the peace of mind that I won't suddenly turn that DLC worthless because I deleted the game or needed to move to a new HDD for some reason. Especially when that peace of mind insurance is $3.

The-Bavis
10-28-2010, 11:08 AM
lame.

I just wish they didn't include the entries to those quests when you don't own them, e.g. the unusual man by the river or whatever. I kept seeing that as something to go do that sounded interesting and then would remember it cost real-world monies.