PDA

View Full Version : LttP: Bioshock 1

daroga
10-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, we had a previous LTTP thread for this, but it's about 2 years old and full of nasty ending spoilers. We can't have any of that!

I bought this right when it came out for the 360. The environment impressed, the gameplay did not. I wanted to explore Rapture, not play a semi-twitch shooter.

But, lately I had been thinking about starting it again (thus, rebuying it after I stopped and sold it for the 360). Then, Steam said, "Hey, we'll put it on sale for $5!" and I said, "But I don't really play many PC games." And then they said, "It's FIVE FREAKING DOLLARS WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?" So I gave them my money before someone hurt me.

I've just started, but going into it having a better sense of what kind of game it is is helping a bit. I've not reached where I first stopped playing (when you get into a big fetch quest), but I've just gotten the fire and telekinesis plasmids, which are both awesome.

I don't suppose anyone else is (re)playing this due to the steam sale, eh?

McClain
10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
I recently played this (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=10781) for the first time! I liked it. A lot.

StrawberryChrist
10-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I haven't been so grateful for infinite continues since Guerrilla War.

McClain
10-31-2010, 09:46 PM
I feel like a pussy for playing through on easy, but I wanted to run through the plot more than deal with the shooter. As is, I only died a couple of times. And I still enjoyed the hell out of it (possibly much more than if I had found it challenging).

Traumadore
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
I feel like a pussy for playing through on easy, but I wanted to run through the plot more than deal with the shooter. As is, I only died a couple of times. And I still enjoyed the hell out of it (possibly much more than if I had found it challenging).

Actually the difficulty you choose will only affect your experience up until abouts when you get the research camera. After you get the machine gun and the grenade launcher and a few tonics it's pretty much the same.

ultimatt
10-31-2010, 10:43 PM
I've been playing it off and on for the last month or two. I wish it was a little bit more open.

Wolf
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
How does the PC version of this game stack up to the console version?

Sarcasmorator
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
How does the PC version of this game stack up to the console version?

I played it on PC, and it was equal or slightly better, IMO. I liked the PC game's interface a bit better.

Wolf
11-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Kind of why I asked, really. I only recently got a computer that really runs PC games at all well*, and while my FPS experience is kind of limited, I'm a lot better when I can use keyboard and mouse rather than two analog sticks.

*I went from a now-decrepit laptop I bought in early 2001, to a laptop I received last summer that had no graphics card, to a new desktop that runs Crysis on maximum settings without a hitch. I feel like I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Silver
11-01-2010, 03:12 PM
With a decent computer setup and a good monitor, Bioshock will look and play much better on a PC. I also feel that FPS games feel more at home with a mouse and keyboard, but this is certainly just an opinion.

However, something to consider - if you're using an nvidia card in xp, all drivers after 178.24 have introduced graphical stuttering during gameplay, rendering Bioshock unplayable. The game runs perfectly fine in Windows 7, and there are several easy fixes for Vista, but XP seems to be hit or miss for people.

What I thought of Bioshock - wonderful atmosphere, great soundtrack with perfect use of obsecure / unexpected musical licensing. Authentic. Beautiful, inventive enviroment, gorgeous to look at with lots of attention to detail. Some interesting gameplay ideas, but subpar gunplay. It's not a game about shooting things despite being a first person shooter. The gunplay just doesn't feel kinetic or satisfying.

Kalir
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I've heard that Bioshock is a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and have always wanted to play that. But I did play Iji which was inspired a lot by System Shock 2 and I loved Iji so I liked Bioshock quite a bit.

That said, the sequel isn't as good thematically but the gameplay differences are loads better. Bee tornados? YES PLEASE.

Traumadore
11-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I played it on PC, and it was equal or slightly better, IMO. I liked the PC game's interface a bit better.

Yeah the first Bioshock is kind of twitchy and skatey like most PC FPS games. It takes a couple area to get used to it on console, but it's not too bad.