PDA

View Full Version : What boardgames do you have?

shivam
11-04-2010, 10:11 PM
So, I figure we should all make lists of our collections, if for no other reason than to know who to ask about game X if we're curious. And just for ideas, since i'm always looking for new games. And to see where our tastes tend to go.

===
Settlers of Catan
--Five/Six player expansion
--Cities and Knights
----cities and knights 5/6
Catan Histories
Ticket to Ride
--Europe
--Switzerland
Smallworld
--both expansions
Dominion
Ra
Vikings
Puerto Rico
--expansion
Carcassonne
--bunch of expansions, but all in the bag together.
Dutch Golden Age
Domaine
Wits and Wagers
Was Sticht
Dragonlance Boardgame
Magestones
Tsuro
Sid Meier's Civilization (III)
Witch Trial
Jacob Marley Esquire
Bang
--Bang Expansion
Fluxx
Chrononauts
Quiddler
Scrabble
Monopoly
Star Wars Monopoly
Risk
Star Wars Risk
Risk 2210
Uno
Sorry
Life
Flash Duel
Set

Posaune
11-05-2010, 02:30 AM
I have Catan. The 6-man expansion (so far unused).
A vintage Sorry! board from the early 1960s. Another one from either slightly earlier or slightly later. Pacheesi. And I think that's it for as far as my personal collection goes. My family has more stuff, though. oh an a stratego. Most of these american style boardgames I've got at thrift stores and garage sales.

Lucas
11-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Are you just looking for lists of board board games, or should we include card games like Unexploded Cow?

tungwene
11-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Expansions listed under separate board games

Go

Carcassone

Dominion
-Intrigue

Stratego

Save Doctor Lucky

Hive

Alhambra

Thurn and Taxis

Puerto Rico

Shadows Over Camelot
-Merlin's Company

Tigris and Euphrates

Order of the Stick

And somewhere lost in a box somewhere is our copy of Jamaica.

Violentvixen
11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Mine are mainly Monopoly and similar other classic ones.

I'm planning on getting Ticket to Ride for Christmas, though.

kaisel
11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Most of mine are in that RPG boardgame genre, and it's a pretty small selection.

Arkham Horror
-Innsmouth Horror

Touch of Evil
-Something Wicked

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Munchkin
-Cthulu
-Superheroes

Castle Ravenloft

A Game of Thrones (nearly forgot this one, but haven't had a chance to play it)

botticus
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I have a bunch of random old boardgames that I'll have to look at when I get home to get a full list. Monopoly, Stratego, Life, Sorry, the works.

And of course HeroQuest with two expansions, possibly the greatest boardgame a 10 year old could have.

Brickroad
11-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Jenga
Clue
Scrabble
Stratego
Yahtzee
Risk
Sorry
Life
Monopoly
Apples to Apples
Boggle
Munchkin
Crack the Case
Scene It?
Trivial Pursuit: DVD Pop Culture Edition
Khet
What the Fuck?
Arkham Horror
Kill Doctor Lucky
Catch Phrase
Life: Pirates of the Carribbean Edition
Carcasonne
Fact or Crap
Cranium
Blokus
Sequence
Imagine Iff

Sarcasmorator
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Arkham Horror
-Dunwich Horror
--Kingsport Horror
---Innsmouth Horror
-Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
--The King in Yellow
---The Black Goat of the Woods
----The Lurker at the Threshold

Twilight Imperium
-Shattered Empire

Starcraft: The Board Game
-Brood War

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
-Pegasus

Galactic Emperor

Nexus Ops

Space Hulk: Third Edition

Race for the Galaxy
-The Gathering Storm

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame (Eagle Games edition)

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Card Game

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

Tempus

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

Settlers of Catan
-Seafarers of Catan

Carcassonne

Stone Age

Risk 2210

Risk: LOTR Trilogy

Risk Revised

Small World
-Leaders of Small World
--Be Not Afraid
---Necromancer's Island

Heroscape: Rise of the Valkyrie
-Swarm of the Marro
--Various other expansions

Runewars

Runebound
-Midnight

DungeonQuest (2010)

Dungeon Lords

Warcraft: The Boardgame
-Expansion

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
-Shadow of War
--The Burning Crusade

Munchkin

A Game of Thrones

Pandemic

Call of Cthulhu:The Card Game
-Some chapter packs

Pente

Abalone

Upwords

Quiddler

Boggle

Scrabble

Stratum

Rumis

Monopoly: Mega Edition

Clue: Simpsons Edition

Cranium

Yahtzee

Traumadore
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Axis and Allies (OG type)
Samurai Swords
Mare Nostrum
Runebound
Descent + Altar of Despair, Well of Darkness, and Tomb of Ice
The Hobbit (1995 version)
The Omega Virus
Wreckage
Arena Maximus
Formula D (new one)
The Haunting House
Wordigo
Sorry Sliders
Citadels
Turn the Tide
Munchkin
Arkham Horror
Risk

Ashkc88
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I really wish I could play more board games, but most of my real life friends think board games are too "childish" or "geeky." If I did, I'd be all over table top games.

I do, however, have the following:
Stratego
Jenga - Donkey Kong Edition
Risk
Apples to Apples
Battleship
Monopoly
Clue - Simpsons Edition
Life
Cranium

Standard stuff. I play when I have family over, which is almost never.

benjibot
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Oh! I like making lists.

Monopoly
Monopoly - Star Wars edition
Risk
Risk - nifty wooden box edition
Scrabble
Clue - another nifty wooden box
Nuclear War
Nuclear Proliferation (plus a bunch of the ill-conceived random trading cards)
Stratego
Cosmic Encounter
A great big box of old Cheapass games. It's way in the back of the closet but I know I have Lord of the Fries, Give Me the Brain, Spree, and lots of others.

pence
11-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Card Games and Board Games:

Arkham Horror
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Dominion
Forbidden Island
Hero Quest (incredibly beat-up, nearly destroyed copy from my elementary school days)
Mr. Jack Pocket
Summoner Wars

And a bajillion Magic cards.

I still remember the first 'creative' writing I did in second grade. It was about my wizard in Hero Quest who found a hidden passage behind a throne. I even drew a picture of the mini! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't own nearly as many d20s if it weren't for one night staying up way past bedtime playing Hero Quest.

shivam
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Are you just looking for lists of board board games, or should we include card games like Unexploded Cow?

those count too.

Red Hedgehog
11-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I keep track of my collection on boardgamegeek.com - not sure when the last time I updated it was. I know I have some smaller games that aren't on this list:

Red Hedgehog's board games (http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Red%20Hedgehog?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1)

Mr_Nuts
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty gung-ho about this hobby.

Mr Nuts' board games! (http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Mr_Nuts?rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=1&columns=title|thumbnail|status|version|rating|bggr ating|plays|comment|commands&geekranks=Board+Game+Rank&own=1&ff=1&subtype=boardgame)

Büge
11-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Arkham Horror, of course
Pictionary
Trivial Pursuit
Cranium
Moscow! Auction!
Milles Bornes
Girl Genius: The Works

Hero Quest (incredibly beat-up, nearly destroyed copy from my elementary school days)

Yep, I've still got mine too. I did a lot of painting practice on the minis from that game when I was younger. About half of the Orcs and Goblins are either unarmed or, uh, the other kind of unarmed.

Googleshng
11-06-2010, 01:19 PM
The other day I saw the most amazing sight in the world. A fully intact HeroQuest skeleton.

Anyway, yeah, games owned. Aside from HeroQuest and the first two expansions (plus, for some reason, a few pieces from the 3rd and 4th), I've got hundreds and hundreds of boardgames filling nearly all available space in here. The vast majority of hose are The Massive Vs. The Masses though, and thus probably shouldn't count. That just leaves:
The standard non-nerd list (Chess, Checkers, Go, Clue, Scrabble, etc. etc.)
Various Card Games
Settlers of Catan
Blood Bowl (oldschool good edition AND new sucky edition!)
HeroScape
This odd "Coin Hopping" thing who's name is too long.
War of the Ring (hex and chit wargame).
And I'm pretty sure some musty storage bin somewhere still contains Crossbows and Catapults, Dungeon, and the officially licensed board game of the saturday morning cartoon based on D&D.

Really, it's a weirdly short list, but the thing is, all my friends who are into table top gaming have massive stockpiles, so it's pretty well covered without me.

dkun
11-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Here's my collection over at the Geek (http://geekdo.com/collection/user/dkun?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1)

Will be adding Dixit and the expansion come Christmas and Mansions of Madness when it releases.

Dawnswalker
11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Monopoly
Scrabble
Risk
Clue
Race for the Galaxy
Arkham Horror
- Dunwhich Horror
- Kingsport Horror
- Innsmouth Horror
- Curse of the Dark Pharoah
- The King in Yellow
- The Black Goat of the Woods
- The Lurker at the Threshold
Twister
Mystery Date
The Game of Life

Büge
11-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Crossbows and Catapults

I loved that game! My brother and I would play it a lot, until we found that the Crossbow was vastly superior to the Catapult.

I don't think we read the rules of the game, either. We just built a wall in front of the fortress and took turns knocking each others' down.

Stiv
11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
My list is actually pretty lean, in large part because my friend Andy is a big board game collector and usually we play at his place. Next weekend I'll be adding Race for the Galaxy and Manoeuvre to it, hopefully.

Axis & Allies (50th Anniversary edition)
Massive vs. Masses: Gamorazilla vs. The Army
Weinhändler
Carcassone
Kill Dr. Lucky
Dominon
- Intrigue
- Seaside
Arkham Horror
- Dunwich Horror
- Kingsport Horror
- The King in Yellow
- Black Goat of the Woods
- Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
Die Macher
Twilight Struggle
Civilization (1980s AH)
Dune (1st edition French printing)

Go
Chess
Rook
Billions of decks of cards

Lucas
11-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Anima: Shadow of Omega
Cthulhu Dice
Diceland
Enemy Chocolatier
Frag: Deadlands
Girl Genius: The Works
Go
Hatch: Dragonology
Jacob Marley, Esq.
James Ernest's Totally Renamed Spy Game
Jumanji
Kill Doctor Lucky (Director's Cut)
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magical Carrot
Lunch Money
Lunch Money: Sticks and Stones
Mancala
Portable Adventures: Lair of the Rat King
Secret Tijuana Deathmatch
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Star Wars Monopoly
Star Wars Stratego
The Big Idea
The Massive vs. the Masses: Gamorzilla vs. the Army
The Testimony of Jacob Hollow
Tsuro
Unexploded Cow
Urban Myth
We Didn't Playtest This At All
We Didn't Playtest This Either
Whack-A-Catgirl
Zeus on the Loose

Thanks to a deplorable lack of friends who are into exploratory gaming, I've only played about a score of these, and a lot of those are at least two or three years ago =(

mugenkokoro
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
My heart is thoroughly warmed to see so many people with Kill Doctor Lucky.

Anyway, my list:

Puerto Rico
Dominion
--Seaside
Blue Moon City
Carcassonne
Race for the Galaxy
Endeavor
Iron Dragon
Ingenious

I have some other games in the house (Pass the Popcorn, Cineplexity, Drakon, Risk, etc) but they technically belong to my partner.

Lucas
11-09-2010, 12:47 AM
My heart is thoroughly warmed to see so many people with Kill Doctor Lucky.

Maybe some day I'll actually get to play it!

So, how's that Blue Moon City?

Behemoth
11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Okay, here goes:

Agricola
Alhambra
Apples to Apples
Attika
Bohnanza
Carcassonne
- Inns & Cathedrals
- King & Scout
- Traders & Builders
Caylus
China
Citadels
- Dark City
La Citta
Coleretto
Cranium
Devil Bunny Needs a Hand
Diamant
Dominion
- Intrigue
- Seaside
For Sale
Gloom
El Grande (10th anniversary edition)
Le Havre
- Le Gran Hameau
Imperial
In the Year of the Dragon
Killer Bunnies
- Red, Violet and Orange Boosters
Maharaja
No Thanks!
Notre Dame
Pandemic
Pillars of the Earth
- Expansion
Power Grid
- France/Italy
- New Power Plant Cards
The Princes of Florence
Puerto Rico
- Expansion
Ra
Race for the Galaxy
- Rebel vs Imperium
- The Gathering Storm
- Brink of War
Saint Petersburg
- New Society & Banquet
Samurai
San Juan
Settlers of Catan
- Cities & Knights
Shogun
Small World
- Grand Dames
- Cursed!
Stephenson's Rocket
Stone Age
Taj Mahal
Through the Desert
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride: Marklin
Tigres and Euphrates
Treasure Chest (Alea 10th anniversary expansions)
Union Pacific

I, uh, have a problem.

fugu13
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
An awesome problem.

I wish I had more money to spare for board games.

Lucas
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I, uh, have a problem.

Is the problem that you're running out of space in your home?

Stiv
11-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Power Grid

Just from the expansion names I WANT THIS SO BAD. Do you know if it's still in print? I can't seem to find out if it is on the Geek.

And also, true to my words, this week I purchased:

Manoeuvre (reprint)
Race for the Galaxy
- Rebel vs. Imperium

I wish I could make it to my board game store's Black Friday sale (Up to 90% off) but I'm going to be traveling that Friday. Booo.

Behemoth
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Do you know if it's still in print?

It's widely available, so I'm assuming it's still in print. In fact, it's a big enough flagship game for RGG now that I can't imagine they'd ever let it go out of print.

dkun
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM

We like it quite a bit. It's mostly a hand/territory management game where you spend cards to buy slots on the tiles that make up the "board". Once all the slots are bought the tile gets flipped over and you collect various rewards (crystals - which are how victory points are bought, more cards, dragon scales - another way to earn crystals, etc.) If you manage to complete a tile next to another completed tile you gain additional stuff. The cards are interesting in that you can either use them for their face value, or in the case of almost all of them, a secondary special ability. Some let you move across the tiles, some attract the dragons (another way to gain scales), and so on. The hardest part of the game is learning how to use the cards, but once you have a grasp on that there's a lot of strategy in how you build the city up and where you purchase space.

It scales pretty well from 2-4 players also.

ajr82
11-16-2010, 04:07 PM
1960: The Making of the President
Arkham Horror
- The King In Yellow
Illuminati
- Bavarian Fire Drill
- Y2K
Jeopardy! The Home Game
Pandemic
- On The Brink
Settlers of Catan
- Cities and Knights
Ticket to Ride Europe
- Europa 1912

poetfox
11-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Okay, I guess I'll try.
In no particular order.

Thunderstone
Dominion
-Intrigue
-Seaside
-Alchemy
Arkham Horror
-Dunwich Horror
-The King in Yellow
-Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
-The Black Goat of the Woods
Dungeon Twister
Race for the Galaxy
-The Gathering Storm
-Rebels vs Imperium
-The Brink of War
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
-Inns and Cathedrals
-Traders and Builders
-The River
-The Count
-King and Scout
Last Night on Earth (aka Zombie Movin')
Fury of Dracula
Settlers of Catan
-5 to 6 Player Expansion
Luck of the Draw

That's most, I think.

Stiv
11-16-2010, 06:02 PM
1960: The Making of the President

Have you ever done tournament-style play with this? It's awesome - two teams of three (Candidate, Advisor, and Campaign Manager (who counts cards)), turns timed to 30 seconds each.

mugenkokoro
11-16-2010, 08:00 PM

I really like it! dkun pretty much said it all, but yeah it's a great kind of resource-gathering game. My favorite part of the game is balancing the contributions to repairing parts of the city, because the person who contributes the most gets the biggest bonus. There can be some fun battles there. I like the art, and if you're into flavor text or using games as a basis for tabletop RPG ideas, this has a ton.

Power Grid is one of the finest resource management games you can get. In terms of the expansions, I like the Korean expansion...the resources available to north and south are different because of the government interference.

mugenkokoro
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh hey, I have two questions:

1. I got to play a bunch more Race for the Galaxy this weekend with my base set, and now I think I want one of the expansions. So, i ask: which is the best expansion, and why?

2. Which Carcassonne expansions do people recommend? I think I'm ready for some more pieces for that too.

shivam
11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
honestly, all the carcassonne expansions are the same-- keep them for the new tiles, and toss out all the non core extraneous rules, cause they're basically crap.

Stiv
11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I got to play a bunch more Race for the Galaxy this weekend with my base set, and now I think I want one of the expansions. So, i ask: which is the best expansion, and why?

Rebel vs. Imperium. Adds player interaction to the game - the first expansion (which I forget the name of) is just your bog-standard "more cards" if I remember right, and the third expansion (Brink of War) not only requires the previous two expansions to play, but also sucks.

Mr_Nuts
11-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Race for the Galaxy expansions:
- The Gathering Storm: Adds goal cards. At the game's start, you deal out a few random goal card which can be acquired by fulfilling the requirement shown on them. Some are fulfilled by being the first player to have 5VP chips, 3 Alien cards, etc. These are worth 3VP. There are also larger goal cards worth 5VP that can potentially be taken away by your opponent; for example, there's one that is awarded when you have 4+ developments in play. If your opponent has more developments than you do they take the card from you. Apart from goals, it adds a decent solo game and MOAR CARDS!!!11

- Rebel vs Imperium: This is a fine addition also. As mentioned above, it does add some potential interaction to the game, though it is limited and optional. Also, MOAR CARDS!!!1

- The Brink of War: This should be the last expansion you get if you're going to catch 'em all. It's not bad, but certainly not as good as the other 2. It adds Prestige to the game, which is a resource sort of like VP chips that can be spent on things during the game. It also adds a "Prestige Leader" mechanic which awards the 1VP (and possibly 1 Prestige) to the player with the most Prestige each turn. For me, this means if you get a lucky draw with some cheap cards that award Prestige, you can sit on prestige leader and get awarded VP & Prestige for being awesome enough to draw Prestige cards while your opponent didn't. That said, we play with all of the expansions mixed together and love the game (we play without Pretige Leader.) I can see Brink of War being better if it were the only expansion being used (making the Prestige-related cards less diluted and less swingy.) All of my games of Race have been the 2-player advanced game.

As for Carcassonne expansions I have to disagree with Shivam the Destroyer, which sounds dangerous but must be done.

Inns & Cathedrals is excellent, both in terms of new tiles and new rules. It adds for each player a large meeple which works exactly like the regular meeples except that it is worth 2 meeples when determining who controls a feature. This makes him ideal for trying to steal a city your opponent is controlling. It also adds some road tiles with inns on them, which make the road worth 2VP/tile instead of 1. Subtle, fine additions.

Traders & Builders is likewise a great add-on. It adds resource tokens: some city tiles have a resource shown on them. When a player completes a city, he takes a resource token for each resource in the completed city (note that it doesn't matter who controls the city or scores the city, the player who places the last tile and completes the city gets the resources.) Whoever has the most of each type of resource at game's end gets 10VP. This adds incentive to finish your opponent's cities. It also adds a pig meeple (which is played into an area where you have a farmer and makes that farmer worth more points) and a builder meeple. You place the builder on a not-yet-complete feature you have a meeple already on. When that feature is completed in a future turn, you take an extra turn.

As for the other expansions, Abbey & Mayor is decent. I agree with Shivam about the others. Princess & Dragon, The Tower and Wheel of Fortune add a bunch of stuff that really cocks up the game. For the mini expansions, The River is worthy as is Cult, Siege and Creativity. We used to play with all of our expansions (I&C, T&B, A&M) mixed together but found that the game would drag on for too long; not that I mind long games, but Carcassonne is a good 45-60 minute game. If I'm going to play a 2-2.5 hour game, there are many better options.

poetfox
11-17-2010, 06:06 AM
It also adds a "Prestige Leader" mechanic which awards the 1VP (and possibly 1 Prestige) to the player with the most Prestige each turn.
This was originally how I thought it worked, but on further re-reading of the rules, I learned the Prestige Leader only gets the bonus on turns they earn additional prestige. It's still a little crazy, but this makes it much less broken than it first appears. We've not "turned off" the prestige mechanic, and the Prestige leader doesn't always win in our games. Plus, the "Search/Prestige" action card adds some interesting decisions to the game.

It's also worth noting that all the Race expansions basically assume you have the ones before it. They're built with, say, the idea that you have the new cards in the previous sets for balance, so I'd start at the beginning. Plus the goal tiles in Gathering Storm are probably the best addition to the game thus far, minus just, you know, having more cards for variety.

Behemoth
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
It's also worth noting that all the Race expansions basically assume you have the ones before it. They're built with, say, the idea that you have the new cards in the previous sets for balance, so I'd start at the beginning. Plus the goal tiles in Gathering Storm are probably the best addition to the game thus far, minus just, you know, having more cards for variety.

This is true.

This was originally how I thought it worked, but on further re-reading of the rules, I learned the Prestige Leader only gets the bonus on turns they earn additional prestige. It's still a little crazy, but this makes it much less broken than it first appears.

This is not.

The Prestige Leader gets a 1VP chip every turn that individual remains the exclusive Prestige Leader. The Prestige Leader gets an additional bonus of an extra card every turn in which the Prestige Leader earns prestige.

Also, I agree with Mr_Nuts that the mechanics of Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders add substantially to vanilla Carcassonne. The other expansions, as he and Shivam have already pointed out, are garbage.

Red Hedgehog
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I've already given mugenkokoro my advice on Race expansions (get Gathering Storm). And I will agree with the consensus about Carcassonne expansions. Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders are good (even their additional rules) and the rest aren't.

poetfox
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
This is not.

The Prestige Leader gets a 1VP chip every turn that individual remains the exclusive Prestige Leader. The Prestige Leader gets an additional bonus of an extra card every turn in which the Prestige Leader earns prestige.

Mm. I'll have to read the rules again. Either way, playing that way, houserule-wise if nothing else, seemed to balance things out a bit more for my group.

mugenkokoro
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! You're the best. Now to add them to my Amazon wish list...

Alixsar
11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Guys, guys. The gf bought this game a while ago called Bohnanza. We never played it till last night. It's basically Catan, but there's no board and the entire game is built around trading resources. Kinda.

It's amazingly fun and really simple to teach.

Karzac
11-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Guys, guys. The gf bought this game a while ago called Bohnanza. We never played it till last night. It's basically Catan, but there's no board and the entire game is built around trading resources. Kinda.

It's amazingly fun and really simple to teach.

This sounds like Pit, which is also awesome.

benjibot
11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
This sounds like Pit, which is also awesome.

Man, that was my mom's favorite game. Unlike all the other board and card games which stayed in the closet, Pit was always kept in a drawer right beside the couch.

pence
11-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I now have Castle Ravenloft, too; complete with its gigantic box.

TirMcDohl
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Castle Ravenloft is kinda zany. First time we played, we managed to get ambushed at the door by almost everything in the castle. We almost died.

pence
11-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it does recall randomly generated dungeons filled with 50' dragons stuffed into 10x10 rooms. In a good way! "Okay, why is this kobold working with the rat swarm and the ghost of Strahd's butler, anyway?"

Matchstick
12-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I finally got around to updating my game inventory (thanks Ninja Santa for making me get around to it...). You can find it here (http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/bglist.php). I need to go back and clean up some manufacturers names that aren't in there, since I was taking too long to get it up to date, but it's better than nothing right now.

Bohnanza, by the way, is fantastic, but it's not really like Settlers at all except that they both involve trading. There's one big idea in it that totally makes the game (having to do with how you deal with hand management). Highly recommended.

Behemoth
12-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I finally got around to updating my game inventory (thanks Ninja Santa for making me get around to it...). You can find it here (http://www.arglebargle.com/mage/bglist.php).

Now that is an impressive collection. I don't suppose you live anywhere near SLC, Utah do you?

Matchstick
12-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Now that is an impressive collection. I don't suppose you live anywhere near SLC, Utah do you?

Sadly, no, but if you're in DC at some point, look me up. ;) Also, my collection is dwarfed by two friends of mine who have over 10000 games. Seriously.

shivam
12-02-2010, 10:08 PM
what the fuck. how do you find time to play it all?

Stiv
12-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I have seen some crazy huge collections but that one takes the cake. How could there be any more possible games to fit in there?

Sarcasmorator
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM

That works out to buying almost a game a day for 30 years. I don't think you do play it all.

Matchstick
12-03-2010, 08:20 PM

You don't. It's a collection.

Sarcasmorator
12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Pfff. I said it with more words.

Alixsar
12-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Bohnanza, by the way, is fantastic, but it's not really like Settlers at all except that they both involve trading. There's one big idea in it that totally makes the game (having to do with how you deal with hand management). Highly recommended.

Well, that's what I meant. I don't play a shit ton of board games like you, and that's my only experience with trading in a game so...yeah.

Also, Matchstick's beard works while he plays games all day duh

Also also, wait, shit, there's a hand limit in that game? I was taught that there wasn't, so that made the entire game about trading/hoarding/low-balling properly. It also made the third bean field more or less irrelevant if you do it right, so I can see that being a rule. I'll have to read the rule book next time/never trust my girlfriend ever.

swordsman3003
12-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Games I have replete with my self-assessed skill and opinion of the game:

The Settlers of Catan
-5/6 Players
-Seafarers
-5/6 Players Seafarers

If I can get even moderately good dice, I'm unstoppable. I have a knack for understanding the value of cards at a given time, making quick trades, all that jazz. I know how to make it seem like I'm losing, like I'm not a threat - never going past second place until making the game-winning move. Board assessment isn't a problem for me, and for most weak players it's their downfall.

Game is good, but I consider it a game for playing with family or people who aren't very good at board games. It's almost entirely tactical; there's really only two strategies, though the Seafarers variant adds a little more strategic depth. When I play with my good gamer friends, it almost always boils down to dice.

Gamebreakers including robbing someone who hasn't earned a point and drawing the monopoly card. I have never lost a game where I got monopoly. Hence, I play with the house rules that you can't rob someone who hasn't earned a point, and that monopoly steals at maximum 3 cards from any one player.

Axis and Allies
-Original
-Revised Edition
-50th Anniversary Edition
-Pacific
-Europe

Every game has a broken side because that side has a broken strategy. I generally don't play these anymore for that reason, but I do play revised with the "revised enhanced" ruleset available online that makes that version much less boring and more fair for each side. I feel that I haven't fully explored the strategic depth of that particular ruleset because I don't have many opponents. Against players who I consider to be very good, I still lose rarely - this is because I always play the odds, and extensively consider the probability of battle outcomes. However - lest I be out metagamed - I occasionally take a risky move that can yield a great benefit if my opponent is trying to play against the fact that I don't make risky moves (like how a football team has to fake a punt once in a while to keep the defense honest).

Not really that great a game series, but the only game that is concrete enough to feel like you're fighting a war (risk is too abstract) but simplistic enough that it can be finished in a few hours. I learned it when I was small so I have some attachment to it in that regard.

Scrabble

I've played this a lot and enjoy it. I consider any score less than 320 a very poorly played game. Hard to play it with or against casual players, because you can't exactly unlearn all the stupid but useful scrabble words you learn over the years. My only real opponents are my dad, brother, and my dad's best friend, because they know a lot of scrabble words and understand the idea of bluffing, which most people don't (putting down a word that isn't real but is plausible and worth not enough points to risk a challenge).

The game has a real unfortunate luck aspect; if your opponent gets Q, Z, and both blanks, that's a big disadvantage. A vowel flood is also a massive hindrance. I'd say a contest has to be played 2/3 or 3/5 to be a true indicator of skill.

I also have an occasionally play:
Clue
Blokus (regular, trigon, 3d)
Stratego
and all the usual suspects too

But either they have some flaw that makes them unplayable (like ganging up in Clue and Blokus) or a huge luck element I find distasteful.

I much prefer card games like Magic the Gathering or Texas Hold 'em, whose luck is necessary to give the games their battle-of-wit element.

I also consider Mafia to be one of the greatest "parlor"games (since it's not a card or board game) of all time.

Mr_Nuts
12-14-2010, 06:34 AM
I started off in the hobby with Settlers, and have since found that Settlers of America: Rails to Riches is a really nice step up from the original game. It takes place on a map of the US; everyone's initial cities are in the east and players need to build settlers and create new cities out west. Eventually the numbers on the hexes in the east start being picked up and moved out west, so the resources in the east will slowly dry up.

There are also railroads, trains and goods to be delivered (you win the game by being the first to deliver all of your goods). A couple of major changes to the Settlers formula:

- Gold. If someone rolls for resources and you don't get any, you get a gold instead. 2 gold can be traded in for 1 of any resource. Gold are chits, not cards, so they can't be stolen or lost to the robber. You also get gold when an opponent wants to move their train on your rails.

- Building. At the end of each player's turn, everyone has a chance to build something. This means no more getting a handful of resources then losing them without ever having a shot at spending them.

- No Monopoly card (though there are still development cards).

Settlers of America is different enough to be its own game, but retains the Catan feel. It actually made me excited to play Settlers again!

swordsman3003
12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
It actually made me excited to play Settlers again!

That's how I feel about most of the Settlers derivatives; they add some convoluted complication that negates your strategic knowledge from the other versions of the game.....but eventually you figure out the very few good strategies and the series seems lackluster. Until you get another expansion or whatever then it's all good again.

fugu13
12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Settlers is definitely an occasional game, but the original variants are great in adding enough variety to make it fun for a group of four people who want a long-ish, involving game that is neither overly stressful nor overly simple (as base settlers is). And I'm a big fan of how important trading is, because I'm very good at it ;) .

The America variant, though, is a serious improvement on the original game. The mechanics manage to provide great balance between different strategies, reduce the role of luck, and keep the game surprising, all at once. It is not just settlers + extra rules; the core rules are re-thought and tweaked, some removed and some added.

Alixsar
12-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Also also, wait, shit, there's a hand limit in that game? I was taught that there wasn't, so that made the entire game about trading/hoarding/low-balling properly. It also made the third bean field more or less irrelevant if you do it right, so I can see that being a rule. I'll have to read the rule book next time/never trust my girlfriend ever.

So yeah, it turns out that all along I've been playing the Girlfriend's House Rules version of Bohnanza. But yeah, it's totally better than whatever dumb shit you're talking about Matchstick.

Red Hedgehog
12-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Hence, I play with the house rules that you can't rob someone who hasn't earned a point

This is the only way to play Settlers.

(I'll have to consider the Monopoly house rule as well)

Also, I recently got a bunch of new board games (well, mostly expansions for existing games - Wits & Wagers is the only real "new" one) so I added them to my geek list (http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Red%20Hedgehog?rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=1&columns=title%7Cthumbnail%7Cstatus%7Cversion%7Crat ing%7Cbggrating%7Cplays%7Ccomment%7Ccommands&geekranks=Board+Game+Rank&ff=1&subtype=boardgame).

swordsman3003
12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
(I'll have to consider the Monopoly house rule as well)

I highly recommended it; a player who knows how to skillfully play a monopoly card waits until a bunch of the same resource has flooded everyones hand and gets at least 15 cards (which is insane). A player who knows how to break the game waits until he rolls a lot of resource for himself, trades it away for other cards, then monopolies back everything he traded away + whatever of that was lying around in people's hands and gets more than 20 cards.

Wits & Wagers

Possibly the most fair trivia game ever devised.

Matchstick
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
So yeah, it turns out that all along I've been playing the Girlfriend's House Rules version of Bohnanza. But yeah, it's totally better than whatever dumb shit you're talking about Matchstick.

I never said anything about a hand limit. I said hand management. The idea of having to queue your cards completely makes the game. What "house rules" are you guys using?

MCBanjoMike
12-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Re: Settlers of Catan

We've always played with a house rule where all players must reroll 7s for the first two rounds of play (ie, until all players have had two turns). After that, everyone is fair game. This is nice because it gives you a chance to hoard resources at the beginning of the game, when you might not be quite sure which direction to go in.

Also, the rule in Settlers of America where everyone builds every turn is just like what you get when there are 5-6 players in regular Settlers. I enjoy the special building phase in those bigger games, but I wouldn't want to add it to 3-4 player version, since it would remove the tension of holding on to a lot of cards.

For the record, my friends are all far too unpredictable for Settlers games to come down to just dice rolls. It's a game that's as much fun as the people that you play it with!

swordsman3003
12-15-2010, 09:25 PM
my friends are all far too unpredictable for Settlers games to come down to just dice rolls.

There are few actions you can take on a given turn and barely 2 viable strategic options for winning the game. The only way somebody could be unpredictable at Catan would be to make bad moves.

It's not like Chess or Go where you can make some kind of intentional tactical blunder that will pay off in the long term by hiding it's strategic value through sheer complexity.

If an opponent makes a move that you didn't predict they would do in Catan, they are bad because the move has no logic behind it, or you are bad because you can't understand how to evaluate the move.

The original game is just too simple.

Red Hedgehog
12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Possibly the most fair trivia game ever devised.

Actually, I'd say it's not a trivia game, it's a betting game. This is what makes it fun for people who aren't good at trivia. The most fair trivia game would be one that rewards the person with the most knowledge of trivia.

swordsman3003
12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Actually, I'd say it's not a trivia game, it's a betting game. This is what makes it fun for people who aren't good at trivia. The most fair trivia game would be one that rewards the person with the most knowledge of trivia.

If you know the answers to the questions, it's impossible for someone who doesn't to beat you.

What I think makes it fair is that someone who doesn't know the answer to the question isn't completely devastated. Unlike Trivial Pursuit; you either know the answer or you don't.

Maybe I should have said 'level' instead of fair.

:grammar edit

ajr82
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
I still don't understand playing Settlers without Cities & Knights. It makes the game so much more fun.

MCBanjoMike
12-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I still don't understand playing Settlers without Cities & Knights. It makes the game so much more fun.

I agree with you, but it also has the effect of making the game a lot longer and more dependent on skill level. That means that most of my friends find it too long to play, and the rest of them don't like getting trounced by me because I've played it more often than they have. Still, I should push next summer to get Cities and Knights into rotation at the cottage, it's totally great.

(Always get the improvement that gives you a free resource when you miss your rolls. ALWAYS.)

If an opponent makes a move that you didn't predict they would do in Catan, they are bad because the move has no logic behind it, or you are bad because you can't understand how to evaluate the move.

The original game is just too simple.

It sounds like you don't trade at all when you play this game. The basic rules may be simple, but when you're playing with vengeful humans who attempt to extort you for everything they can, it becomes much less obvious how things will play out from one turn to the next.

Then again, I've always said that Settlers is only a boring game if you play it with boring people.

swordsman3003
12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
It sounds like you don't trade at all when you play this game. The basic rules may be simple, but when you're playing with vengeful humans who attempt to extort you for everything they can, it becomes much less obvious how things will play out from one turn to the next.

There is no hidden information in Catan; all the cards that players draw are public information. A good player is always knowledgeable about all the cards on the board and which players have them.*

Nobody can force you to make a trade. If someone is offering you a bad deal, then don't trade them. It's not like someone can trick you into making a bad trade, because all the information in the game is public.

If someone is always asking for trades that are unfair, they will always lose against good players because they won't be traded with. I have played with many people of this nature and they almost always lose**. Contrary to your joke, I do trade in Catan all the time. That's why I win - because I make offers that other players want to take and make it up on volume. And on occasion I'll be a real miser because I'm certain I can ask for a high price. That's called being a good player.

If someone is simply more shrewd than you and is offering you trades that seem good but turn out to be a mistake, then you are worse at the game than they are.

If someone is being "vengeful"...which I assume is something like refusing to trade with you because you blocked their port or whatever...then they are irrational, which is what I meant in my earlier comment. Irrational players almost always lose**.

Then again, I've always said that Settlers is only a boring game if you play it with boring people.

I mean no offense, but let me extend this comment and say that the game is "boring" if you play with players who all have a high skill level because they will all make the correct tactical and strategic decisions. Apparently these are "boring" people.

What it sounds like you're describing is playing Catan with people who are bad at the game, or maybe bad at games in general. By bad, I mean they do not understand how to evaluate what a good move is and/or they make irrational decisions.

I wholeheartedly agree that playing with colorful people can make the game more fun. This is why I play Catan with people who are bad at board games, which I mentioned before. For the same reason, I bring out games of more diverse and meaningful strategic/tactical decisions to play with strong gamers.

And I do think Cities and Knights is a vast improvement in that regard.

*If you personally don't do this, or believe that good players don't resort to this, then you don't know what it means to be good at Catan. Or any game. If you think it's more fun or whatever to remain willfully ignorant of what players have in their hand, then that's fine I'm sure it makes the game more fun. But that's intentionally being bad at the game.

**anyone can get lucky

Matchstick
12-21-2010, 08:32 PM
There is no hidden information in Catan; all the cards that players draw are public information.

False.

swordsman3003
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
False.

You're right, I forgot about using the robber. But there is only a slim matrix of possibilities regarding which card they can take, since you have perfect knowledge of what cards are entering the game. That can be managed because it doesn't change what cards are on the board; you can deduce what cards were taken away by what the players do. Like if you knew someone previously had a city in their hand and didn't build it, they had to have lost wheat or ore.

Maybe I'm being bitter about how easy the game is and making it seem unfairly easier than it is when I talk about it.

Matchstick
12-22-2010, 12:49 AM
You're right, I forgot about using the robber.

You're also forgetting the development cards.

Karzac
12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
You're also forgetting the development cards.

Yeah, this. Although you can usually tell if somebody has a victory point card, knights and other development cards add uncertainty into the mix.

Dizzy
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Guess who has two thumbs and recently got Monopoly Revolution?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/lisafx/lisafx1103/lisafx110300035/9077656-businessman-frowning-and-giving-two-thumbs-down--isolated-on-white.jpg

THIS GUY

Who also has it? Tell me your story!