PDA

View Full Version : "DEPTFORD GOT A WEBCOMIC!?"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Deptford
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
deptford, now do you have a website?

Ask me again now! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/)

Yes, somewhat more than a year after making that Pikmin comic, I'm throwing my hat into the whole 'webcomic' ring.

Look upon my fledgling site, and unleash your paternal advice, Talking Time!

The first ten are ones that'll be familiar to most of ya, as they're a selection of personal favorites and ones that got good responses. But, the most recent one is, indeed, truly new. So far as the update schedule goes, I'm starting twice-weekly update-wise, with the first few Tuesday updates being new to the internet at large, but old to Talking Time. Every Saturday, though, there will be an ACTUALLY new one, eventually all leading to Tuesday ones being equally new in a bit.

I'm genuinely grateful to you folks...the kind, encouraging, and helpful comments here were what compelled me to give this a wholehearted attempt, and if this endeavor becomes a success, I owe you all a great deal.

If it fails, however, I blame everyone but myself.

COME BACK I LOVE YOU ALL

(Meanwhile, my wife is watching Jimmy Kimmel, where he is talking to one of those go-to guys who brings animals to talk shows. The animal guy is, as I type, showing a baby le*pard. A newborn le*pard being presented as I announce the creation of my website...something's going on here)

Nobuyuki
11-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Bookmarked so hard

Donny
11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
I think you could do away with the splash page (and maybe up the size of your comics or text). Otherwise this is the greatest thing.

Garrison
11-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I have to agree with Donny about making the images larger and possibly clearer, but other than that, this is the greatest day.

Nyarlathotep
11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I have to agree with Donny about making the images larger and possibly clearer, but other than that, this is the greatest day.

This. I love your comics, but squinting to understand them is no fun.

Calorie Mate
11-25-2010, 01:18 AM
RSSed so hard

Olli T
11-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Subscribed by the magic of Really Simple Syndication!

Paul le Fou
11-25-2010, 05:01 AM
This. I love your comics, but squinting to understand them is no fun.

Thinaran
11-25-2010, 05:57 AM
http://www.spillegal.no/images/smilies/Generic/frantic.gif

Merus
11-25-2010, 06:04 AM
The watermark is a little big. Use the font you're using for the title, and something smaller and classier.

Surrealist Obituaries, 2010 Deptford www.surrealistobituaries.com

Edit: I want to point out that it is fucking excellent that the only quibbles we have are over the way the comics are presented. Once they're resolved, and you are looking your best, we should all try and get Reddit and Stumbleupon to crash your server with hits. You can stand in the wreckage and think, "they like me, they really like me".

Deptford
11-25-2010, 06:32 AM
"The comics are hard to read!"

Duly noted! I tried fixin' up the new one to hopefully minimize the issue; clarity will improve in future updates, as I learn the ropes with this, but let me know if it is in the very least no longer a chore to read.

I AM LISTENING TO AND ACTING UPON AUDIENCE FEEDBACK IN A MEANINGFUL WAY

Also agreed that the watermark could, perhaps, be shrunk down and made a wee bit more subtle and informative. I'll at least make that happen from here on out, and may even go back to alter previous ones.

I do appreciate the warm...and helpful!....reception, and the notion of being crashed with hits sounds delightful (I initially mistyped that as 'crashed with hats', which I must admit, also sounds fuckin' wonderful). For now, it's kind of a cold opening, as I was very curious to hear you guys' thoughts on it. I'll take the next few days and over the weekend to work out the kinks and attempt my first proper update, but if anyone does wish to start spreading the Good Word on Monday, it would be much appreciated!

Brickroad
11-25-2010, 06:40 AM
I will plug this on my blog sometime this weekend, so all six of my non-Tyrant readers will learn about it!

MCBanjoMike
11-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Oh my god I had forgotten how funny that slap-fight comic was.

Octopus Prime
11-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Deptford... one day I will find you. I will find you when you least expect to see me.

My face will be passive, yet my eyes shall be burning like the flames of Hell.

And I will give you a big ol' hug for the things you've done this day, as well as a voucher good for one free ice cream at Dairy Queen.

But not a Blizzard, I'm not made of money.

shivam
11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
your lines need to be darker, and man, i love your comics, but i hate hate hate that yellow background.

nimling
11-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Bookmark'd!

Dart Zaidyer
11-25-2010, 02:15 PM
You should expand the width of your site. Comicpress, for some reason, likes to keep things criminally slim by default at 780 pixels. And since the calendar is fighting for space alongside the comic, you're left trying to cram your big pages into a space that's entirely too small to hold them.
I suggest you widen the site layout to 900 pixels, and move the calendar down below the comic. Then you should be able to post at a much more readable size.

Dawnswalker
11-25-2010, 03:05 PM
"Heidegger, I hardly even knew her!"

The comics themselves are awesome, but unless the comic is going to be just one part of a bigger site, the splash page is nothing but a barrier between your audience and FUN.

ThornGhost
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Yesssss

Destil
11-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Stop Le*pards may be the greatest thing in the history of things.

PapillonReel
11-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh my god I had forgotten how funny that slap-fight comic was.

There are no words, man.

teekun
11-25-2010, 06:07 PM
I think you could do away with the splash page

Yeah, this. Going to a URL and having to click to get to any content isn't a good thing.

And definitely work on the readability. Try to make the intensity of all the lines the same as the text and panel framing.

Merus
11-25-2010, 06:17 PM
This can usually be done by adjusting levels in Photoshop or GIMP so that the lines come through nice and dark.

It looks weird going from hand-drawn lettering to typed text, as well.

BEAT
11-25-2010, 07:17 PM
RIIINGS!

Love the site. The stuff that some of these guys are saying about making things wider are true.

Also, you should put me in every single comic.

Octopus Prime too.

Kazin
11-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Bookmarked!

Next week, I will do what little I can to spread the good word. This basically amounts to me putting a link up in my Facebook status. I will let ~300 people know of your site! And probably only 5 or 6 will care! But we will get you hits, dammit!

Umby
11-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Bookmarked, and also it needs the "first", "previous", et al. at the bottom of the comics, too.

So great.

Captain Keene
11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Deptford is cataloging all of his absurd comics in a single, easy-to-access location. My life is now complete.

I don't really have anything substantive to say.

Winter
11-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Personally, I don't mind having a page to go through before I get to the comics, as long as there's some sort of content on that page, like how Penny Arcade's front page takes you to the news posts. Having a simple splash page, though, is just having a useless page to click through before I get to what I'm really coming to the site for.

So... I guess, unless you've got some content you'd like people to see before they get to your comics, I'd recommend taking the splash page down.

Bongo Bill
11-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Splendid.

locit
11-26-2010, 02:14 AM
RIIIINGS!

I love you, Deptford. I do.

Loki
11-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah, Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry was pretty great.

Adam
11-26-2010, 03:38 AM
I man-love you, Deptford.

Deptford
11-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad to hear that the site's first NEW comic is actually enjoyed. Most of the critiques on the site itself are very valid and are things that I'll endeavor to have fixed up soon.

Another new comic will be going up tomorrow, but on the subject of Tuesday updates, I'd like to know which comics that have gone up here would be considered good picks to go up in coming weeks.

RT-55J
11-26-2010, 01:31 PM
If I were you I'd make it so this page (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?cat=3) wasn't so image-heavy.

Abominable K
11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
That leopard screed has to be the most amazing thing I have read all week.

JohnB
11-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Bookmarked so hard

Octopus Prime
11-26-2010, 05:07 PM
That leo*ard screed has to be the most amazing thing I have read all week.

Man, watch it.

Lady
11-26-2010, 06:36 PM
stopleopards.org

Kishi
11-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Another new comic will be going up tomorrow, but on the subject of Tuesday updates, I'd like to know which comics that have gone up here would be considered good picks to go up in coming weeks.

Everything you've ever drawn about Metal Gear.

Alixsar
11-26-2010, 06:42 PM
What's a Deptford? Some kind of robot? Why does it have a comic? Robots shouldn't have comics.

Deptford
11-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Everything you've ever drawn about Metal Gear.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' Campbell calling Snakes whilst clipping his toenails may be Tuesday's. It's tricky...I've got a list of all my yet-to-be-created comic ideas, and it's a nice, hefty, text file, but of 'em, there are many involving Sonic and Tails, and many involving Metal Gear in general, and Campbell in particular. The vaudeville shenanigans of wacky Sonic/Campbell playing off of their given straight men allows for plenty of fun, but it has to be spaced out delicately to keep 'em from overwhelming the comic's library or getting stale. But it's also rather painful, because it means that two comic ideas in particular, which I think are, respectively, the most clever, and the most OH FUCK funny, comic ideas I've come up with will have to wait quite awhile, as they need to be done after my stupid version of Campbell has become a bit more established.

I'm kinda hoping to boost the update schedule to three-times-a-week once I get into the swing of things, and I do think that will me manageable. But I just wanted to make sure I didn't get in over my head, and of course it's preferable to boost the update schedule up to three, than to start at three and risk having to knock it down to two.

Daikaiju
11-27-2010, 01:23 PM
That slap fight got me to thinking... if they ever do a high rez remake of FF7, Tifa is never going to be left out of the active party.

Ostrich
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm loving your site, Deptford!

I will be using "It's not Colonel-FUCKING-Campell good" everywhere I go from now on just to let you know.

Except when I use it around people who haven't a clue what Metal Gear Solid is, they'll think I'm talking about the soup. This will make it even better.

Deptford
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Play-Asia has graciously requested that my website take part in its affiliation program. I apparently can put up a little ad of my specifications for play-asia, and I get commissioned a percentage of each sale made by someone who clicks on the link and buys something. It seems reasonable enough, but I don't know. While I would eventually like to make a bit of income from the site down the line, I almost worry that there's something mercenary or presumptuous about putting up an ad of some sort on the site so early on. On the other hand, with the holidays hitting soon and a baby landing not long after that, a bit (and I don't expect this to generate anything more than 'a bit') of extra money flitting in is certainly handy, aaaand...I dunno. Something about being a potential gateway to someone buying Nier's official soundtrack feels kind of magical. Like getting to rest a hand on the robe of God.

What do folks think, yes or no?

Merus
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I am happy to go through your site when I shop at Play Asia.

Kirin
12-02-2010, 10:49 AM
If it's unobtrusive (which would generally mean not too big and not animated, or at least only subtly animated at most) I don't really see much harm. We'll not begrudge you some advertising pennies for your fantastic output.

le geek
12-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Digging it!

Patrick
12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I'd say that if you can fit it in the column to the right of the comic (beneath the calendar, contact info, etc.), then you should go for it.

Epithet
12-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Ads aren't a bad idea, so long as they're unobtrusive and all. If you can fit the banner somewhere, go for it. As far as I'm concerned, everyone who takes the time to draw a webcomic deserves to get a little ad money out of it.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Unobtrusive? I say "phht"!

I want one of those really big, obnoxious ads that open up a (muted) trailer for the DVD of whatever Hollywoods latest hit is, whenever your mouse even approaches it!

I want "Punch the Kitty to win a Free iPod" banners! In the MIDDLE of the comic!

I want an ad for another webcomic, done entirely in Poser, with a little footnote beneath it saying "Your ad could be here for only $0.02 a month!"

Thats what I want Mr. Ford. Make it happen.

Donny
12-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Alternatively, you can look into Project Wonderful (http://www.projectwonderful.com/) ads. Though you might be too new to qualify. The Play Asia thing sounds sketchy because not only does it rely on someone clicking through from your site, but then them buying something as well. It wouldn't hurt to have an ad or two up right now, however, your comic is so new that you'd probably better serve it working to fine tune the little things (like the text and visibility of the art) and worrying about ads when you start drawing more people in.

Adam
12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Totally go with Project Wonderful. One of the sites I regularly visit had unplanned titties!

fugu13
12-02-2010, 06:13 PM
For a small site, affiliate links are often much better than other ads (though you can also have project wonderful ads). I'd suggest putting up an amazon affiliate link, too. They make it possible for people who like you and are going to buy things anyways to give you free money, without costing themselves anything.

Project Wonderful on really small sites, however, typically hovers at or just above $0. Only if you start doing more traffic will you get any revenue at all.

BEAT
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Ads = Good!

This.

Seriously deptford, take every fucking penny from the internet you possibly can. That's what its there for.

Wolfgang
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
This.

Seriously deptford, take every fucking penny from the internet you possibly can. That's what its there for.

Or, it would, if anyone did not have ad blocking software (on their homemade Linux nerdputers).

Merus
12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
So I played around with Colonel Campbell a little:

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q383/Merusdraconis/thecolonelredux.png

For some reason, the JPG is a quarter of the size of the PNG, although PNGs are generally far more appropriate for lineart.

Meditative_Zebra
12-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Deptford has a comic and it made me laugh. All is well and good with the world.

Deptford
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Alright, I do believe I'll go with the affiliation program; thanks for the input on the matter!

Also, Merus, that fixed-up version of the Campbell strip looks quite nice; would I have your blessing to actually replace the current version with it, after I made a wee little further alteration to it here and there?

Tonight sometime, I'll be putting up the comic for Saturday's update on the site; this will be the first comic made from scratch knowing everything I've learned since starting the site, so I'm hoping that it may actually show a marked improvement. Also, I think it is funny, and it has a guy named Sheldon Eldercash in it. It's wacky fun!

Meanwhile, next saturday's might be something dark and experimental, or just more wacky fun, depending on which one just feels right when it's time to choose. Plotting what to put up each update, through narrowed eyes over steepled fingers, amidst a resonant 'hmmmmm' is my favorite part of this webcomicing business so far.

And finally, as I continue to work on getting the comics ship-shape and as close to peak wonderful-ness as I can, to anyone who would like to weigh in on another subject: would you...would you guys like it if my comics stopped being yellow? Because that can happen. I have some affection for the weathered, piss-golden tint, but it's not something I feel adamant about, and I am somewhat curious whether I stand alone on that.

ThornGhost
12-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I think that, unless there's a really compelling reason to make it yellow, black and white are probably a better way to go. It helps separate the line art more from the negative space, and with your sketchy style, that's likely for the best. Occasionally the finer details of the characters will smudge and get lost with the yellow background color, and that's not a good thing.

Merus
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Feel free to repost; it's your comic, after all.

One of the first things I did was dial up the contrast; this makes the fine details (like the nail going in Naomi's coffee) a lot easier to notice, and it lets you cheat your way out of having to do inking. As ThornGhost said, you do a lot with soft lines and line thickness, so that contrast is really important to ensure it doesn't get lost in the noise. It works a lot better with black and white than it does with the yellow. It also lets you do more with line weight, which as you start getting more ambitious you'll find you want to play with more. (I suggest bringing back the yellow when you start doing colouring; black, white and yellow will look pretty striking.)

The only other thing I did was use a decent font. I've noticed that when you tend to break out the fonts, you tend to use serifed fonts, which just look wrong. There's tons of free fonts out there waiting to be used, and there some really nice fonts available for a small fee, as well. I grabbed a free font from Blambot (http://www.blambot.com/font_sundaycomics.shtml) that I felt fit with the style of humour, and tried to fit the text into the existing word bubbles, keeping legibility. I actually redrew one bubble because the text was too tiny. (Man, some of your text is super-small.)

It took me about an hour, all told, although that's with Photoshop and me dicking around. It'd take longer without it, as removing the yellow and making the lines nice and bold was a two-click process, but doing it with the original would take less time because you could redraw the bubbles the way you want.

Kirin
12-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Personally, I kind of like the yellow. It has character.

Meditative_Zebra
12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I think that, unless there's a really compelling reason to make it yellow, black and white are probably a better way to go. It helps separate the line art more from the negative space, and with your sketchy style, that's likely for the best. Occasionally the finer details of the characters will smudge and get lost with the yellow background color, and that's not a good thing.

Ditto

BEAT
12-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I like the yellow + Sketchy style.

It's like that one time you found a bunch of post it notes that some anonymous genius drew a bunch of stuff on. It was a wonderful experience and you'll never forget it.

Kishi
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9496/deptwebkidyep.png

RT-55J
12-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Keep the yellow background. It's distinctive.

Also, it would be best if you darkened the pencilwork, because right now most of the small details are practically unreadable.

MCBanjoMike
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I'm not against the yellow, but you have to bump the contrast up significantly, and possibly increase the size of the comic images on the website. There are a lot of fine details to see in your drawings and they tend to get lost if you squish them down too much.

Kazin
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Personally, I hate the yellow background, but not enough to stop me from reading (not even close).

Donny
12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah the yellow background is distracting and kind of ugly. I'd also suggest maybe trying to do some sketchy, Kate Beaton styled inking to deal with the visibility issues some of your lines have.

Deptford
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
New comic up! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/)

I do believe I've addressed and improved upon pretty much everything mentioned; let me know! The only other immediate change I'd have in mind for now is font; awhile back, in a different thread, someone mentioned getting a custom font made, which I'll be doing in the near future.

Also, you'll note that it is still a jaundiced, yellow hue...I do fully understand why some folks are against it, and if it seemed unanimous that everyone but me wanted a more conventional black-and-white, I'd have made the switch. But since opinions do differ, and the yellow is kinda to my liking as well ("I've grown accustomed to her faaaaaace..."), I'll be keeping on with it.

Makkara
12-04-2010, 02:24 AM
New comic up! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/)

I do believe I've addressed and improved upon pretty much everything mentioned; let me know!

The higher contrast definitely makes it more readable. One thing, though: have you tried saving it as a gif or png? You'd avoid the jpeg artifacts, which make the lines look less clean. Since your comics are essentially grayscale, you can also keep the color depth low - say 16 colors - so you'd also get a smaller file size.

Merus
12-04-2010, 08:45 AM
I actually played around with saving it as PNG. I didn't have a lot of luck getting the same size, but frankly with images that size 400kb is perfectly fine. Yeah, don't use JPG. It's what's causing that distortion around your text. (JPGs are for photos; photos generally have softer edges, so the distortion caused is minimised.)

Sprite
12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/vontrout/eldercashmcduck.png

Octopus Prime
12-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Fanart of fanart, eh?

Yes.... yes that'll do.

Duck Lips
12-05-2010, 05:55 AM
hahaha, yes... So I am loving Eldercash meets Scrooge McDuck... It could be said that I just have a soft spot for ducks, but truly this is epic...

Also, since "Deptford" is too proud to post the following link, let it be said that his wife has ABSOLUTELY NO DIGNITY...

And with that, let me say, if you have an extra ten seconds, or you just feel sorry enough for him having an obnoxious (albeit charming and adorable) wife please go vote:
http://topwebcomics.com/vote/11885/default.aspx?id=11885

shawn struck
12-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I totally voted. It's been an entertaining read so far, and I hope to see more. Go, Deptford, go!

Kirin
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh hey, it's a new day, I can vote for Deptford again.

Though I have to admit, the fact that I've never heard of 14 of the current top 15 on thier list makes me wonder how many people still care about TopWebComics. The one I do recognize is another Tyrant, though! So that's something.

Donny
12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Though I have to admit, the fact that I've never heard of 14 of the current top 15 on thier list makes me wonder how many people still care about TopWebComics. The one I do recognize is another Tyrant, though! So that's something.

Its more that once you reach a certain point readerwise it stops being worth the effort to promote your comic on the list. So nowadays most people prefer to put that sort of effort in elsewhere from the get go. Top lists are still a good asset for beginning cartoonists.

Deptford
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Also, since "Deptford" is too proud to post the following link, let it be said that his wife has ABSOLUTELY NO DIGNITY...

WIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!...

Nonetheless, I do deeply appreciate you folks what have voted; I'm lagging slightly behind the actual top contenders, but for a crazy-young comic like mine, I'm quite pleased to have leaped past where I expected to be amongst the people with...you know...votes in the single digits.

Now, though? NOW?

WE ARE APPROACHING.
THREE.
DIGITS.

I'm comin' for ya, Number One! Which apparently features a tigress and a sexually confused wolf?...

Also, Sprite? The fact that you drew an Eldercash comic delights me. You have thrilled me.

I've also added some other little stuff, hopefully in a relatively non-obnoxious way, including the play-asia link. So hey, if you want to buy something snazzy while supporting the fledgling site at no extra expense, hit it up! Otherwise, I guess you'll still get to see the new comic Saturday.

...goddamn freeloaders...

By the way, this Saturday, did you want to feel amused, or devastated?

This may have something to do with which comic I put up.

locit
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
By the way, this Saturday, did you want to feel amused, or devastated?

This may have something to do with which comic I put up.
Devastated, please. I'm far too happy as it is.

Octopus Prime
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
My doctor says I'm too mirthful as is, but a little more wouldn't hurt anything...

BEAT
12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I have so much joy I don't know what to do with it.

I dare you to try and knock me down.

Dawnswalker
12-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Amusement please.

Adam
12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/adamadamada/devastatorvj6.jpg

Sprite
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Also, Sprite? The fact that you drew an Eldercash comic delights me. You have thrilled me.
:)

I vote devastation, unless you were planning on killing Eldercash.
Scrooge McDuck must be the one to kill him.

Kishi
12-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm comin' for ya, Number One! Which apparently features a tigress and a sexually confused wolf?...

Well, if there's anything your comic lacks...

Just sayin'. Think it over.

BEAT
12-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Deptford you have to kill Twokinds
It is so horrible.

Merus
12-10-2010, 09:44 AM
There are a lot more comics further down more worthy of death.

BEAT
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Basically just start slaughtering inferior comics.

And then never stop.

MCBanjoMike
12-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Basically just start slaughtering inferior comics.

And then never stop.

Extra extra, this just in: Deptford kills 99% of all webcomics, no one cares

Deptford
12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Having tallied the votes, I went ahead and put up the Saturday update. And now, you have a new choice: devastation now, or on Saturday proper?

Click here at your convenience! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/)

Octopus Prime
12-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Having tallied the votes, I went ahead and put up the Saturday update. And now, you have a new choice: devastation now, or on Saturday proper?

I'm balling...

Like a little baby.

kaisel
12-10-2010, 02:28 PM

I... just... wow. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. In a good way. I think.

Nobuyuki
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Ouch, my feelings.

shivam
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
that. that is fucked up, man.

Dizzy
12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
How dare you trick me.

mr_bungle700
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
DEPTFORD

NO

WHY

Phat
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh my good sweet Lord.

MetManMas
12-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Like I said in the comments, it's very sad, but very touching at the same time.

Adam
12-10-2010, 03:01 PM
And on that day... my heart grew three layers of ice...

Calorie Mate
12-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh what the fuck, man.

Dawnswalker
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I WANTED AMUSEMENT YOU SON OF A BITCH WHYYYYYY

RT-55J
12-10-2010, 03:17 PM
|
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/images/rating/rating_5.gif

Phat
12-10-2010, 03:29 PM
One billion stars.

Brickroad
12-10-2010, 03:47 PM
It kinda gets you right here.

Sprite
12-10-2010, 04:27 PM
HA HA HA HA HA

I love it :D I am devastated and amused.

tungwene
12-10-2010, 04:28 PM
You monster!

Why do you toy with our emotions like that? *grabstissue*

Seth Marati
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Pair it with this one (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/ICE.jpg?t=1257968816) for extra devastation!

Brickroad
12-10-2010, 06:10 PM
My one complaint: I know Deptford is taking creative license for comedic effect, but years of Smash Bros. experience have taught me that Nana always dies first.

MetManMas
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
My one complaint: I know Deptford is taking creative license for comedic effect, but years of Smash Bros. experience have taught me that Nana always dies first.

Only if she's not one of the palette swaps that puts her at the front of the group.

Abominable K
12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Wow, you actually made me tear up a little. Good job.

Kishi
12-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Why did you do that?

Parish
12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Damn, dude.

BEAT
12-11-2010, 12:50 AM
On one hand I want to go "Awww!" on the other I want to sob uncontrollably.

Deptford
12-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Why did you do that?

I'm complicated!

Really, this scene has kind of a strange origin story...for some reason, of all things, I have developed all sorts of ideas for an Ice Climbers game. I'm serious. I've got plans for one. Drawn some character designs, even! But just to give you an idea of what my hypothetical Ice Climbers game would be like...which would have a very bittersweet atmosphere, emphasizing the poignancy of these stalwart, innocent little characters struggling amidst a bleak and overwhelmingly immense environment...this is what the ending would have been, set years after the final battle.

Also, to get the full effect, as Nana lays collapsed in the snow, Imagine that "Heart and Soul" starts to play, softly and distantly, but then when she sees Popo, it kicks in louder and the second part joins in. And it plays joyously over the rest, even the reveal, and snow blankets everything, and then 'Ice Climbers' is slowly written in nostalgic cursive, followed by credits in black text scrolling over the white.

And these sorts of ideas is why, among other reasons, I don't think Nintendo will ever tap me to direct an Ice Climbers revival. Though they certainly should.

Therefore, it is rewarding to nonetheless be able to portray my somewhat dark would-be epilogue in a form that I'm free to. To those who were devastated, sorry if you're somewhat dismayed, but devastating you was the idea. YOU WERE WARNED. And to those who have given kudos to the effort, I thank you. But either way, rest assured, 'serious' comics like this one (which nonetheless has a slight air of absurdity by the sheer virtue of the fact that I'm giving a melodramatic, 'matchstick girl' treatment to the goddamn Ice Climbers of all characters) will be a rarity. But they will come along now and then, and I figured that may as well be established relatively early on. And don't worry, my non-gag stuff won't always be stupidly tragic like this one.

And to help the recovery, I'll make sure that the next comic is lighter, relaxing fare. Something to raise the spirits. Let's see, what did I have planned for Tuesday's update...

'Kris Tingle Knows When You've Been Naughty'.

SHIT!

Sprite
12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
my hypothetical Ice Climbers game
Bonus points if Popo dies after whiffing the Up+B recovery because Nana couldn't get there in time.

R.R. Bigman
12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm complicated!

Really, this scene has kind of a strange origin story...for some reason, of all things, I have developed all sorts of ideas for an Ice Climbers game. I'm serious. I've got plans for one. Drawn some character designs, even! But just to give you an idea of what my hypothetical Ice Climbers game would be like...which would have a very bittersweet atmosphere, emphasizing the poignancy of these stalwart, innocent little characters struggling amidst a bleak and overwhelmingly immense environment...this is what the ending would have been, set years after the final battle.

Also, to get the full effect, as Nana lays collapsed in the snow, Imagine that "Heart and Soul" starts to play, softly and distantly, but then when she sees Popo, it kicks in louder and the second part joins in. And it plays joyously over the rest, even the reveal, and snow blankets everything, and then 'Ice Climbers' is slowly written in nostalgic cursive, followed by credits in black text scrolling over the white.

And these sorts of ideas is why, among other reasons, I don't think Nintendo will ever tap me to direct an Ice Climbers revival. Though they certainly should.

Therefore, it is rewarding to nonetheless be able to portray my somewhat dark would-be epilogue in a form that I'm free to. To those who were devastated, sorry if you're somewhat dismayed, but devastating you was the idea. YOU WERE WARNED. And to those who have given kudos to the effort, I thank you. But either way, rest assured, 'serious' comics like this one (which nonetheless has a slight air of absurdity by the sheer virtue of the fact that I'm giving a melodramatic, 'matchstick girl' treatment to the goddamn Ice Climbers of all characters) will be a rarity. But they will come along now and then, and I figured that may as well be established relatively early on. And don't worry, my non-gag stuff won't always be stupidly tragic like this one.

And to help the recovery, I'll make sure that the next comic is lighter, relaxing fare. Something to raise the spirits. Let's see, what did I have planned for Tuesday's update...

'Kris Tingle Knows When You've Been Naughty'.

SHIT!

I would buy that Ice Climbers game. You'd have to keep the poignant story a secret from Miyamoto, of course. He'd force you to change it to Nana gets captured by ice monsters who trick her outside with fake snowcones, and Popo has to rescue her.

Nobuyuki
12-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I would buy that Ice Climbers game. You'd have to keep the poignant story a secret from Miyamoto, of course. He'd force you to change it to Nana gets captured by ice monsters who trick her outside with fake snowcones, and Popo has to rescue her.

I'd probably buy that Ice Climbers too.

SpoonyBardOL
12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
|
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/images/rating/rating_5.gif

JohnB
12-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Holy shit that look on Celes' face WTFBBQ

StrawberryChrist
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
AAALL ALOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
________O O O N EO__O
OOOOOOOO__________O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think someone did this the first time Deptford posted that comic here but it's still fun.

Deptford
12-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Saturday's update, going up on SATURDAY instead of FRIDAY!? (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/)

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!?

Basically, my ass has been kicked by sudden illness, combined with a chock-full schedule that's allowed little time for recuperation. Still, in an example of downright heroic determination, a comic is up, but not the one I planned on. This is actually not technically a new one; it's actually a slightly altered version of a comic I made for 1up's Starcraft contest from awhile back. I'm updating with this one today simply because I want to be able to do proper justice to the comic I had originally planned, which will be truly new, and shall be up on Tuesday. And next Saturday's update? CHRISTMAS COMIC. A good one, too, destined to dethrone "A Christmas Carol". It stars a nutcracker!

Garrison
12-18-2010, 01:33 PM
This comic needs more fucking eyeballs

Great job, Deptford

Deptford
12-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Aaaaaand, I'm still so sick that I've resorted to sussing out the divine mysteries of using a neti pot...which until googling, I thought was spelled 'netty'. Who knew? Hence, while I have put up a new comic (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/), it's shorter than the expected one...but still, I sincerely hope, amusing, even if it dares to pull down a cultural idol.

Nonetheless, regardless of how sick I feel and how much last-minute Christmas-shopping I have to do while leaving dripped snot in my wake across the aisles like a giant snail, I do promise to get my grand Christmas comic...which will offend nobody, but delight all...up on Christmas Eve. Since Christmas itself is kind of spoken for schedule-wise.

Kishi
12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
John Cusack is a genius.

And totally dreamy.

Deptford
12-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Christmas comic is up! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/)

Based...slightly loosely...on a true story.

Kirin
12-24-2010, 12:12 PM
That. Was. Epic.

I love your creature... especially the transition from shadow to spider to rat. Suitably creepy. 27-point-6 thumbs up!

mr_bungle700
12-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, that's my favorite Christmas thing of this year.

Perhaps lots of other years as well!

Garrison
12-25-2010, 11:59 PM
That sure was an enjoyable comic.

Bad Hair Man
12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
That christmas comic is perfect.

Sprite
01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Deptford, were you aware? (http://www.christiancandy.com/)

If so, you're amazing. If not, you're still pretty neat.

Deptford
01-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Been gone from 'round here for a minute! So, firstly, a somewhat late thank you for the kind words regarding the Christmas comic...it was a pain in the ass to make, but rewarding nonetheless.

Deptford, were you aware? (http://www.christiancandy.com/)

If so, you're amazing. If not, you're still pretty neat.

Oh, I was aware! This (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=216) happened, exactly as portrayed, with nothing embellished beyond maybe some facial expressions and body language. AND IT WAS INCREDIBLE. It felt like magical realism. I actually held onto the testamint for a long time as a memento of...whatever the hell happened.

They rehearsed it. That's what gets to me. They had clearly rehearsed it.

ANYWAY, 'NOTHER COMIC UP (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=227).

Kishi
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
B-but Catherine is Birdo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo). (Boos are called "Teresa" in Japan, though, so the comic seems oddly plausible.)

Adam
01-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Inspired by Deptford:

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/adamadamada/yayzef.jpg

Falselogic
01-10-2011, 09:51 PM
So I got a package today! I thought it was my tardy festivus gift but it turns out it was something even better! A game I bought from Deptford ages ago!

One of my favorite games too!

Incredibly Charming Supporting Cast 2

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3559.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3560.jpg

The game comes complete with manual too!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3561.jpg

Full of interesting facts, tips, and how-tos for playing this amazing game:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3562.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3564.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3565.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3567.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3568.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3569.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3571.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/IMG_3573.jpg

BONUS! Deptford also threw in Metal Gear Solid for the GBC!

Thanks Deptford (though I did pay him for it)

I'm pretty sure I know have the most rare, coveted, and valuable PSX game on the planet!

Patrick
01-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh my God, it's full of stars!

mr_bungle700
01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Deptford can I marry your brain?

Your wife can keep your assuredly fabulous body but I must have your brain.

I MUST HAVE IT

Pajaro Pete
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Deptford can I marry your brain?

Your wife can keep your assuredly fabulous body but I must have your brain.

I MUST HAVE IT

Giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "brain fuck"

Javex
01-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "brain fuck"

That's not the phrase! THAT'S NOT THE PHRASE, AND YOU KNOW IT!

blinkpen
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Amazingness

That... that is the most wonderful thing. I can't even use exclamation points. I can only speak in hushed reverence.

Merus
01-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I lost it at Cranky Kong, and continued to lose it at the handwritten bullet point that had Ezio written and then crossed out.

ThricebornPhoenix
01-10-2011, 11:07 PM
That... that is the most wonderful thing. I can't even use exclamation points. I can only speak in hushed reverence.
I'm torn between this and "argh you wrote on a manual what kind of monster are you".

Nobuyuki
01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
But he didn't write in the notes section, thus making it accurate.

Winter
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
The manual is the best place to write. Nobody uses them for anything else anyways.

Dawnswalker
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm torn between this and "argh you wrote on a manual what kind of monster are you".

Eh, it was just a black-and-white Ubisoft dealie. If anything, we should be scolding the Assassin's Creed team for defiling a Deptford Original.

blinkpen
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Deptford was just fixing all the mistakes Capcom made in their manual. I can't believe how many typos there were!

Nobuyuki
01-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Eh, it was just a black-and-white Ubisoft dealie. If anything, we should be scolding the Assassin's Creed team for defiling a Deptford Original.

In a hundred years that MML2 case will be the new LHOOQ.

tungwene
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Deptford should write all back of the game descriptions from now on. His are the most accurate.

Kayma
01-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Holy good God. I want to buy games from you.

Deptford
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I kept poor Falselogic waitin' so long, that it had to DELIVER.

And I definitely don't feel any guilt about writing on the AC2 manual. Nothing is born into this world less loved or wanted than a Ubisoft manual. Their manual is basically an agreement with their customers: they promise the manual won't be worth reading, and the customers promise that they won't read it. When I first tried to pick the manual up, actually, it was terrified. My hand had to chase it around like it was cornering a frightened hamster in its cage. And the manual started to shiver as I picked it up, because it was so unused to human contact. It wasn't in color. It was the bare minimum number of pages allowed. The writing was half-assed and uncaring. Nobody had ever paid attention to it before.

By the time I was done writing on it, it was purring happily, more at peace than it ever had been. But when I tried to put it in the game case, it wrapped its pages around my wrist and wouldn't let go. It didn't want to be sealed back into the Dark. But I explained to it that it was going to a very nice person who would value and appreciate it.

It's not the manuals' fault that Ubisoft thinks of them as a tedious chore to have to make. Write in yours today.

ALSO: I'm late mentioning this, but bears (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=237).

ALSO: Because of Kishi I'm going to have to change the Boo's name to Teresa. Kishi!

ALSO:

Inspired by Deptford:

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/adamadamada/yayzef.jpg
Stupendous.

SpoonyBardOL
01-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Man, Cecil is kind of a dick (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?m=20110114).

Though the comic would've been about 37% better if the little smiley faces on Yang's outfit were frowning in the second last panel.

Bongo Bill
01-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I disagree.

Deptford
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
You got me wondering. Although, to be certain, I realize now that in the very least I should have added a Watchmen-style blood splatter to the one on his belt.

Regret is the poison of life

Dawnswalker
01-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm kind of disappointed that Cecil was all Beef Manlington'ed up, instead of shown in his Amano-style glory. But I love the content of the comic all the same.

Deptford
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
My favorite thing about drawing Pre-VII Final Fantasy characters is the freedom they allow, while still offering great, solid designs to work from. Which is all thanks to their inconsistency...a character is LUCKY if their squat, minimized, impressionistic overhead and battle sprites match their menu portrait! And even luckier if either match the concept art, which is in itself inconsistent; I don't think I've ever seen Amano draw the same character exactly alike twice.

All this lets me wing it and take aspects and my own interpretations into account, which is very fun and satisfying. As such, I get to keep the fun, strangely textured, asymmetrical armor style of Amano's, while still keepin' Cecil as MANLY as I thought he was back in the day before his non-manliness became a matter of canon.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100709070654/finalfantasy/images/6/6a/Cecil_Harvey_-_Paladin_menu.png IS MANLY

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/ReenayeStarr/CECILWHATHAPPENED.jpg?t=1295120373 IS NOT THE MAN I THOUGHT HE WAS

DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A "KING HARVEY"

LOOKS LIKE "PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT"

He is either wearing makeup or freezing to death.

(The irony being, of course, young-me mistook Cid as being far more dreamy and effeminate (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=947414#post947414))

Lady
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
it's as though someone skinned the actual cid and turned his scalp into a hat!

Dawnswalker
01-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. To this day, I flatly refuse to believe that almost every pre-FF7 female character supposedly wandered off to war in what amounts to a cape/bikini combo, with 80s shoulderpads.

But oh my god, that Cid pic is hilarious.

mr_bungle700
01-15-2011, 06:01 PM
To be fair, they were really good shoulderpads.

Zodar
01-17-2011, 02:25 PM
FFVII taught me that the only protective equipment you need in combat is a "Bangle" (to protect your Spangles)

Deptford
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
. . . . (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=249)

SlimJimm
01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I wholly approve.

Nodal
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
That seems about right.

Warg
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
. . . . (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=249)

... why, yes this is (http://www.hevisaurus.com/musiikki/).

ThornGhost
01-18-2011, 07:25 AM
That was great, I laughed quite a bit.

But it was AFTER I noticed the title of the comic. It may just be me, but I tend to mentally crop the webpage out of the comic whenever I am reading a strip online. The title is disconnected from the strip, and for a bit I just thought Snake and Campbell were just eying each other over a weird folder.

My suggestion is make anything that's necessary for the joke to be a part of the strip.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-19-2011, 12:27 AM
It has now been established that Deptford + The Colonel = Comic Gold

Deptford
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
That was great, I laughed quite a bit.

But it was AFTER I noticed the title of the comic. It may just be me, but I tend to mentally crop the webpage out of the comic whenever I am reading a strip online. The title is disconnected from the strip, and for a bit I just thought Snake and Campbell were just eying each other over a weird folder.

My suggestion is make anything that's necessary for the joke to be a part of the strip.

This is not only a good point, but one I actually pondered a bit myself. I ultimately just felt that keeping the comic itself completely wordless really helped sell it; a word bubble, or even a caption, at the beginning just seemed to take something away from it. So, tucking all the set-up that there needs to be right in the title seemed like an elegant way of doing it. It sure ain't perfect, for the reasons you mentioned, which I worried about, but...I figure, even if someone misses the title at first, as long as they catch it at some point, it's fine. A somewhat delayed/hidden punchline is kind of groovy in its own way. But yeah, I get what you're saying, and I'll try not to resort to these shenanigans often.

Meanwhile, now that I've finally found a use for owning such an amazing folder in Tuesday's update, I'm plotting Saturday's update. What are people feeling: something serious (not tragic, though, don't worry, I'm not going to "Ice Widow" you again), something Sonic, something returned from the dead, or something ELDERCASH?

Brickroad
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
ELDERCASH

You wouldn't dare.

gahitsu
01-19-2011, 08:08 AM
I love sad, truly tragic stuff. But if an Ice Widow repeat is out of the question ... I mean, if you can remake the magic of Ferret Jaques, you should totally remake the magic of Ferret Jaques. With dead people!

SpoonyBardOL
01-19-2011, 08:23 AM
From the Dissidia: Duodeciccywhatever thread:

Is it wrong that getting to play as a proper representation of my beloved Fighter, BIFF, from FF1 may do more to sell me on the game than all these actual new characters?

Or is it right and I'm really smart and cool and have a good head on my shoulders and am going places?

I say you make a comic about BIFF, in celebration of his representation in Dissidia: Pretentious Subtitle.

ThornGhost
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm fairly certain that if you ask Talking Time, you will be requested to do Eldercash comics every single time.

Nodal
01-19-2011, 09:22 AM
ELDERCASH!

BEAT
01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Do eldercash AND sonic.

Deptford
01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm glad people like Eldercash, because I like Eldercash. I've got many ideas for him, and though I will space 'em out so he remains fresh I suspect he'll come to be more or less the face of the comic, as most other recurring characters are peskily copyrighted by other people and corporations.

Not that this has stopped other webcomics from somehow being allowed to make shirts of FF1 sprites and King DeDeDe dolls and such in a way that mystifies me...

But, yeah, I'm enjoying Eldercash. He's incredibly fun to draw and write, and he has a solid gimmick while also being versatile enough to star in a wide variety of classy and absurd situations. Which is cool, because when I first drew him, I didn't have any plans for him beyond his role in that one comic, yet he has taken on a life of his own! Alarming.

I love sad, truly tragic stuff. But if an Ice Widow repeat is out of the question ... I mean, if you can remake the magic of Ferret Jaques, you should totally remake the magic of Ferret Jaques. With dead people!

Oh, more tragic stuff will pop up, don't worry. But it will stay few and far between, to KEEP FOLKS OFF THEIR GUARD. But my next serious comic will be, tone-wise, more similar to the Christmas one. Not a comedy, but with a sense of humor and some sweetness to it. And there also will be more autobiographical comics like ferret-jacques, as I am a dude to whom strange things sometimes happen. There will even by a comic about the creepiest person to whom I ever delivered pizza to!

ThricebornPhoenix
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM
I ultimately just felt that keeping the comic itself completely wordless really helped sell it; a word bubble, or even a caption, at the beginning just seemed to take something away from it.
If by wordless you mean without dialogue (after all, the colonel's tie says "clip on"), perhaps a tab or post-it on the folder which reads "orders" or some such could have done the trick.

Donny
01-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Not that this has stopped other webcomics from somehow being allowed to make shirts of FF1 sprites and King DeDeDe dolls and such in a way that mystifies me...

Because going after these guys is not worth any of these companies' time or money. Though you can bet that if Nintendo wanted to make some Kirby related plushes they'd tell the Brawl In the Family guys to knock that shit off.

nunix
01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
ELDERCASH?

http://justinbrock.com/images/Johnny_Cash.jpg

gahitsu
01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
There will even by a comic about the creepiest person to whom I ever delivered pizza to!

EXCITED TIMES!!!!

Dawnswalker
01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Deptford, you can't look to us for the answer forever.

You must look inside your heart.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-20-2011, 11:19 PM
EXCITED TIMES!!!!

Kishi
01-20-2011, 11:55 PM
You, Roy Campbell, and I were made for each other.

This is not only a good point, but one I actually pondered a bit myself. I ultimately just felt that keeping the comic itself completely wordless really helped sell it; a word bubble, or even a caption, at the beginning just seemed to take something away from it. So, tucking all the set-up that there needs to be right in the title seemed like an elegant way of doing it. It sure ain't perfect, for the reasons you mentioned, which I worried about, but...I figure, even if someone misses the title at first, as long as they catch it at some point, it's fine. A somewhat delayed/hidden punchline is kind of groovy in its own way. But yeah, I get what you're saying, and I'll try not to resort to these shenanigans often.

For the record, I think you did the right thing, there.

Deptford
01-22-2011, 07:39 AM
WHAT
SOMETHING'S HAPPENING (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=256)

Elements
01-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I am intrigued and amused by Lowfellow's ploy. Though, I must say, if that's Lowfellow's impressive final dungeon catacomb, I shudder at the thought of Eldercash's.

BEAT
01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
ELDERCASH (AND SONIC)Have I told yo lately that I love you.

SlimJimm
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
The Rockasaurus Rex folder thing is too good.

Deptford
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Have I told yo lately that I love you.

Unfortunately, though, there wasn't room enough for Normal Sonic.

Flat Sonic, however...

Adam
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Las Angeles?

Octopus Prime
01-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Las Angeles?

The town is well known for its love of Baskteball.

I jest out of love, Mr. Fords.

Deptford
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Las Angeles?

I don't know what you're talking about. Anyone can clearly go to the comic...RIGHT NOW...and see I called it Los Angeles.

And if anyone thinks I just hastily edited it after having it pointed out by Adam, then...then you're crazy!

AS CRAZY AS ADAM!

McClain
01-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't think I get all the references (beyond Poe), but I'm very intrigued by this ... story arc? Are you dipping into dreaded continuity?

Octopus Prime
01-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. Anyone can clearly go to the comic...RIGHT NOW...and see I called it Los Angeles.

And if anyone thinks I just hastily edited it after having it pointed out by Adam, then...then you're crazy!

AS CRAZY AS ADAM!

Well, both cities are well known for their love of Baskteball.

Elements
01-22-2011, 02:47 PM

AS CRAZY AS ADAM!

I do not follow sports so I was tricked into believing the Lakers chose to effeminize their home city, so that they could feel more manly while expressing their passionate love for it.

Deptford
01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't think I get all the references (beyond Poe), but I'm very intrigued by this ... story arc? Are you dipping into dreaded continuity?

This'll be a three-parter, concluded with next Saturday's update. Such things will happen, from time to time. This arc is necessary, though, to establish some things for many future comics, by--

Well, both cities are well known for their love of Baskteball.

AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Merus
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
It bet he reaches the bottom and finds the middle of his own death dungeon.

Elements
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
It bet he reaches the bottom and finds the middle of his own death dungeon.

"My good Lowfellow, it seems that you are encroaching upon my property. In fact, the entirety of these catacombs seem to be surrounded by the eastern wing of my own. Very uncivil."

Deptford
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
See if you can guess which of these panels was the most fun panel to draw ever. (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=269)

Adam
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure, but it looks like Lowfellow dined at the Phantom Train Cafe.

Octopus Prime
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
See if you can guess which of these panels was the most fun panel to draw ever. (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=269)

I really... really can not say for sure which panel you are talking about.

Was it Eldercash slapping the fire out of Lowfellows mustache?

Dart Zaidyer
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Your art deserves better than jpeg compression, Deptford. I have to squint to see what's going on sometimes.

Rosencrantz
01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
The font is also terrible.

I love your comics, though. It's always good to see more Eldercash!

Merus
01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
It could be worse, he was using Times New Roman before. Serifed fonts in comics always look weird.

StrawberryChrist
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
The Rockasaurus Rex folder thing is too good.

It's even better if you actually had that folder in first grade.

Donny
01-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Its times like this that I wish Deptford inked his comics. So many nice details get lost because of how sized down the panels are and how sketchy the linework is.

Kirin
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I like the sketchiness. I wouldn't say no to a better scanner, of course, but I understand such things may cost money.

Meanwhile, there are so many great things in the latest installment, but I have a special fondness for

...'nother monacle.

SpoonyBardOL
01-26-2011, 11:16 AM
I like the Alligator Gun, myself.

I want that hat. How old would my cash have to be to get a hat like that?

Perhaps if I put some in a safety deposit box with instructions to my descendants to send it back in time to me once time travel has been invented....

Deptford
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
The art itself will be sketchy, likely forever...it's just the way I like to draw, and the freedom to just art my heart out without regard for inking it later lets me kinda follow my stream-of-consciousness in a way that I can't give up. On PAPER it all still looks all fine and clear...the trouble all arrives, alas, between the real world and the internet. Things lacking both on my computer's side, and on my computer-illiterate side, cause troubles. But, expect at least SOME improvement rather soon. Hopefully. I've got IDEAS.

I'll even fix the prickly font issue, though for the record, I'm fixing that not for any personal reasons, but only because the rest of the world is troubled by it. I, being a practical, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy, pure and magnanimous in thought and deed, believe that if I can read a font, the font is a rousing success and has done its job swimmingly. But you font snobs (MY WIFE AMONG YOU!), though clearly the absolute worst kind of people, have gotten your way. I'll deal with the font, not by next comic or anything, but soon.

I like the Alligator Gun, myself.

I want that hat. How old would my cash have to be to get a hat like that?

Perhaps if I put some in a safety deposit box with instructions to my descendants to send it back in time to me once time travel has been invented....

Unfortunately, if you haven't gotten it yet, it's probably not going to happen. Though it may be your abandoning the plan NOW that keeps it from happening.

I guess what I'm saying is, get that safety deposit box. Best-case scenario, you get a magnificent hat sometime, worst-case scenario, you confuse and disappoint your descendants when they finally find out what their great-great-great-grandfather left in his fabled, family-legend safety deposit box.

Also, to further throw off their perception of our time, mention cannibalism in the note somehow, in a really casual, off-handed way, like it's just kind of a thing.

Merus
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I think Deptford would be served by making the sketchiness come through clearer, rather than inking. I'd imagine, considering his art style, that inking would probably obscure a lot of the detail.

I, being a practical, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy, pure and magnanimous in thought and deed, believe that if I can read a font, the font is a rousing success and has done its job swimmingly. But you font snobs (MY WIFE AMONG YOU!), though clearly the absolute worst kind of people, have gotten your way.

You're going to change it to Comic Sans aren't you.

Dawnswalker
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
You're going to change it to Comic Sans aren't you.

Don't you make us link that one Achewood, young man.

Evil Dead Junkie
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I take any opportunity to link that one Achewood (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007). If only because it's the only time you see Roast Beef in a full blown rage.

Deptford
01-29-2011, 12:51 PM
END OF THE STORY ARC
and of jpeg (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=295)

Brickroad
01-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe instead of inking the comic you could just up the contrast on the scan?

Oh my god I only just barely know what "up the contrast" means. =( =(

Deptford
01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe instead of inking the comic you could just up the contrast on the scan?

Oh my god I only just barely know what "up the contrast" means. =( =(

Oh, I have been known to up the HELL outta some contrast. And it does work wonders sometimes! But other times...dark, scary times...it will make otherwise invisible smudges turn into giant drawing-covering blotches. It's a double-edged sword.

Like materia?

BUT...I actually got some wonderful new technology at my disposal, so now that I've bid farewell to my old methods, Tuesday's comic will be the first made with my new approach in mind from the beginning. It will be bumpy...I AM UNACCUSTOMED TO CHANGE AND COMPUTERS INTIMIDATE ME...but the end results should bring the presentation of the comic up to snuff.

Oh, and since I accidentally booted my new comic announcement to the previous page, I am going to indulge in some self-quotation:

END OF THE STORY ARC
and of jpeg (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=295)

widdershins
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway -- your comic is brilliant and brightens my day.

If I may jump on the constructive criticism train, I'd recommend scanning your images at a very high dpi, like 300, and in line art mode if your scanner has one. This will mean that you retain your detail, and it will scan your sketch in a single color (black) rather than a greyscale. If you don't like it that dark, you can always lighten the blacks in pretty much any image editor.

If you do keep the greyish hue to your art, I'd recommend adjusting the color of your font to match it somewhat. The problem with the text isn't necessarily the font choice (though I will throw my hat in with the font snobs -- sorry, I'm one of THEM), but the fact that the black text stands out in a really jarring way, especially when your original sketch is lighter. Using something like an eydrop tool to get a representive grey from your art, and using that as your text color could go a long way in making it feel more integrated.

Gah! I hate giving criticism, because it takes away from the main message which is RAD COMIC DUDE.

EDIT: Line art mode can also often automatically get rid of a lot of those smudges.

ThricebornPhoenix
01-29-2011, 04:10 PM
That was a most excellent conclusion. Issues of contrast and whatnot aside, this is some of your best work yet. The rat opera alone was well worth the price of admission.

Deptford
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Phew! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=308)

Octopus Prime
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Phew! (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=308)

PANIC...

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/radiotic/danceofmypeople.gif

...Subsiding.

McClain
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Pattern

Recognition

Kicking in ....

mother of god!

Good stuff.

Kirin
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
The new scans look good! (Though I have to admit I kinda miss the yellow. Just the background color, not the bad line scanning, mind you. But I'm not picky.)

ThricebornPhoenix
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
See, that's what happens when you listen to the radio.

widdershins
02-04-2011, 01:43 AM
The comic's living up to its name this week.

Dart Zaidyer
02-04-2011, 02:01 AM
The new scans look good!

I agree, the art is looking super-better now.

Deptford
02-04-2011, 10:34 PM
New comic!

Surprisingly, Naomi of Metal Gear Solid makes for a really fun, wacky character to draw. Who knew? (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=315)

The new scans look good! (Though I have to admit I kinda miss the yellow. Just the background color, not the bad line scanning, mind you. But I'm not picky.)

I miss the yellow, too! But sadly, with my CRAAAAZY methods, the 'yellow' and 'not looking horrible' are mutually exclusive...for now.

widdershins
02-04-2011, 10:38 PM
As soon as the colonel said it, I knew what the joke was going to be... and yet it was still wonderful when it happened. Three cheers!

Bongo Bill
02-04-2011, 10:57 PM
But... but... mammals are warm-blooded and have live young! COCONUTS DON'T HAVE BLOOD

Lady
02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
They bleed delicious. unless someone puts that shit in some thai soup. I will HURT that person.

Yellowation:

Method 1 --
Photoshop, CS4+ (maybe cs3, idk)
Open Image, Selective Color, "White" Yellow +40%

Method 2 --
Most Image Editors
Fill tool, ~#f6f580 (or your choice), "Multiply", 255 tolerance

methods listed in order that I thought of them. I'd use #2

widdershins
02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
#2 would also probably work with the gimp, which is free and cross-platform.

EDIT:
I did two yellow-ized mockups of your latest comic, using two methods. Both take only about 5 minutes in the gimp, and I'd be happy to teach 'em to you if you like either of them. I decided to use the same color that Lady suggested, and here's what I came up with:

1) Created via layer transparency (http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/floppyhair/coconutfacts1.gif). I created a second layer, made sure to select only the areas where your boxes reside, and filled those parts with the yellow. I then made that layer less opaque until I got the desired affect, and flattened it when saving.

2) Created via multiply fill (http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/floppyhair/coconutfacts2.gif). I think this is what lady was suggesting (let me know if I got it wrong). Doesn't require layers, which is a bonus. Selected your panels, threw up the fill threshold, made the fill type multiply, and this was the result. You can also change the opaqueness of the fill, which pretty much makes the first method obsolete, now that I think of it.

tungwene
02-05-2011, 03:11 AM
I want a pet coconut. Why can't I own a pet coconut? This is false advertising!

Kfroog
02-05-2011, 01:52 PM
But... but... mammals are warm-blooded and have live young! COCONUTS DON'T HAVE BLOOD

mammals have seven cervical vertebrae. MAMMALS HAVE VERTEBRAE!

Brickroad
02-05-2011, 02:00 PM
KERNEL AWESOME

Meditative_Zebra
02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/meditative_zebra/Talking%20Time/Kernal_Awesome.jpg

ohhhhh yeeaaahhhh....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/meditative_zebra/Talking%20Time/Kernal_Awesome_sm.jpg

Yes!

EDIT: I just noticed the colonel counts himself among the distinguished patrons of Nickelodeon's Gak.

Deptford
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I want a pet coconut. Why can't I own a pet coconut? This is false advertising!

Not as fun as it sounds. (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=321)

McClain
02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Amazing.

For future meme needs:

http://www.mcchelle.com/mfingcoconuts.gif

Octopus Prime
02-08-2011, 04:15 AM

Great, now I can't walk through the produce aisle without feeling like a HORRIBLE person.

Loki
02-08-2011, 05:13 AM
DEPTFORD YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO OFFER PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR LEGS FALL OFF AND DIE.

SpoonyBardOL
02-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Colonel Coconut reminds me of those creatures from Mischief Makers.

Kirin
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I have never felt so sorry for Naomi. Or possibly anyone.

ThricebornPhoenix
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Her list of people to kill is surprisingly short.

tungwene
02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Great, now I can't walk through the produce aisle without feeling like a HORRIBLE person.Also, I cannot believe how hard I laughed when I read the words "disappointed coconuts".

R^2
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
MOTHERFUCKER is the best thing.

McClain
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Goddamn photobucket...

Uploaded to a different site.

Dawnswalker
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
You know, I don't recall the CODEC conversations in MGS being filled with ear-piercing shrieks in the background while the characters went on about super babies and exoskeleton ninjas and love on a battlefield or whatever.

Does this mean... No... NO!

Octopus Prime
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
You know, I don't recall the CODEC conversations in MGS being filled with ear-piercing shrieks in the background while the characters went on about super babies and exoskeleton ninjas and love on a battlefield or whatever.

Does this mean... No... NO!

I'm afraid so.

The Metal Gear games have just been confirmed as being out of continuity.

Deptford
02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I love you all.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Deptford being the fancy gentleman we all know him to be helped me out by creating some artwork for my announcement of The Sam Raimi Blogothon I will be hosting.

It's wonderful. (http://thingthatdontsuck.blogspot.com/2011/02/raimifest-announcement.html)

Cough and if any of you have blogs hanging one of those banners in the sidebar would be a real boon Cough

Falselogic
02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Deptford being the fancy gentleman we all know him to be helped me out by creating some artwork for my announcement of The Sam Raimi Blogothon I will be hosting.

It's wonderful. (http://thingthatdontsuck.blogspot.com/2011/02/raimifest-announcement.html)

Cough and if any of you have blogs hanging one of those banners in the sidebar would be a real boon Cough

Hah if only my website got traffic! I'll put it up for you though Junkie.

Deptford
02-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Woo!

Also... (http://surrealistobituaries.com/content/?p=329)

Evil Dead Junkie
02-12-2011, 10:53 AM
In the next panel he discovers he likes it.

Kishi
02-13-2011, 04:32 PM

The best part is knowing who that is in Naomi's childhood photo.

Deptford
02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I've been tryin' to stick with two entirely new comics per week, but alas, between business both good (busy with Valentine's Day stuff yesterday) and not-good (MY HOME IS INFESTED WITH MOLD AAAAAHHHH) today's comic is old to you guys. Sorry! Hence, I won't bother linking it...AND YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT ANYWAY...but I shall be back, fresh, with a truly new comic on Saturday. And it's probably gonna be about Chrono Trigger. And it's probably gonna be the first tribute to that game which gives proper due to its unsung hero.

ThricebornPhoenix
02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
And it's probably gonna be the first tribute to that game which gives proper due to its unsung hero.
I know! It's the Mop, isn't it?

R^2
02-15-2011, 07:53 PM
I'd guess Gonzales/Gato, but he's totally a sung hero. It's almost all he does.

Aquadeo
02-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Presenting... the world's first(?) fanfic villanelle!

Le*pards are waiting in the trees,
Deadlier than any cat;
They will kill hundreds with their teeth.

You must believe their evil schemes -
Their plots, their plans, the dreams they've had;
Le*pards are waiting in the trees.

Their coat can let them hide with ease,
Their muscles show no trace of fat,

Look on, but you will never see
their face, until you breathe your last
Le*pards are waiting in the trees.

Put down that can of gasoline,
The flames will only make them mad;

The only thing to do is flee,
Run to where the land is flat.
Le*pards are waiting in the trees,