PDA

View Full Version : Fantagraphics Is Publishing The Complete Carl Barks

Sprite
01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (http://techland.time.com/2011/01/03/carl-barks-ducks-come-to-fantagraphics/)

fugu13
01-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm annoyed they're taking so long, but presumably they'll do a good job. They'd better.

Now, I'm going to need money. The best way to increase money for this is probably to cut out less essential things. Maybe food? Food isn't very essential, right?

AJR
01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
That's pretty awesome. Man, Fantagraphics puts out a lot of awesome stuff.

Excitemike
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Fanta and not Marvel? Not exactly a vote of confidence on Disney's part.
Great news, though.

Ample Vigour
01-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I know where my money is going for the next decade or so. I grew up idolizing Unca Scrooge and, God willing, my kids will too.

Sven
01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Excellent news. They do really good work, even if I can barely afford to keep up with their stuff.

Patrick
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I've always heard so many good things about Carl Barks, but I've never read anything by him. 30 volumes sounds like way too much for me to actually buy though. Hopefully I'll be able to read them through the library and pick up any volumes that I especially like.

Parish
01-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Fanta and not Marvel? Not exactly a vote of confidence on Disney's part.
Great news, though.

Wait, what? Fantagraphics actually does this stuff right. I wouldn't trust Marvel to compile this stuff properly and with class. Their Peanuts collections are collectively one the finest things on my bookshelves.

Calorie Mate
01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
This is a cool thing.

Excitemike
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Wait, what? Fantagraphics actually does this stuff right. I wouldn't trust Marvel to compile this stuff properly and with class. Their Peanuts collections are collectively one the finest things on my bookshelves.

I'm not saying Marvel should be publishing this, Fanta does great work. But if I worked at Marvel, this news would have me updating my resume.

Sven
Also, Marvel isn't well-known for treasury edition type of stuff. I don't know that they even do equivalents to DC's Archives series, which, in spite of being ludicrously expensive, are equivalent in quality to Fantastigraphics' stuff.

DiGiKerot

But Disney doesn't own Fantagraphics. I'm assuming the statement was more to question why Disney wouldn't release this themselves rather than to question the quality of Fantagraphics output.

fugu13
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd heard a bit about this coming down the pipeline, and my understanding is that this is in large part some passionate Carl Barks fans at Fanta pushing the project forward, and Disney largely being "oh, I guess we'd make some money like that. Why not."

Disney seems to mostly care about Carl to the extent they can bastardize his stories for more recent properties.

Sprite
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I've always heard so many good things about Carl Barks, but I've never read anything by him. 30 volumes sounds like way too much for me to actually buy though. Hopefully I'll be able to read them through the library and pick up any volumes that I especially like.
His stuff is notoriously difficult to find in English, which is why this news is so great. fugu has the right of it; Barks just isn't that popular in America beyond comic aficionados. Fantagraphics just happens to know how to sell to comics aficionados, so they're perfect for the project.

I recommend reading through Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which serves as a great introduction to why Barks's stuff is so great.

Balrog
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I thought this was about the Fresh Prince character :o

Wolfgang
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I recommend reading through Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which serves as a great introduction to why Barks's stuff is so great.

What I'd love is a Don Rosa collection. Maybe someday. This is still pretty great, though!

teg
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Well there goes my spending money for the next fifteen years.Fanta and not Marvel? Not exactly a vote of confidence on Disney's part.Scrooge McDuck doesn't need variant covers.

tungwene
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Now, I'm going to need money. The best way to increase money for this is probably to cut out less essential things. Maybe food? Food isn't very essential, right?D:<
We could always eat the cat

Ample Vigour
01-06-2011, 03:04 PM
What I'd love is a Don Rosa collection. Maybe someday. This is still pretty great, though!

Don Rosa's total obscurity in his own country is a damn crime.

Grignr
01-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if these will have all of the original Barks artwork or use the redrawn-ethnic-stereotypes art. On the one hand, Fantagraphics looks to be making an effort to be faithful to the originals. On the other, there's Disney, who might not be happy to just put a Dark Horse-style Tezuka disclaimer at the front.

Sprite
01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
There's no way Disney will let the african caricatures be reprinted.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/LilSpriteX/darkestorig1.jpg

Yeesh.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/LilSpriteX/darkest1.jpg

Normally I'd be against changes like this (as I am with the Mark Twain tweaking), but it's Disney's brand, and they own the stories, so they can do what they wish. Plus it's kind of funny that the retouched stuff is going to offend people anyway.

What's really hilarious, though, is when the retouch is worse than the original:

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/LilSpriteX/bopboporig.jpg

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/LilSpriteX/bopbop.jpg

Hey, this character is a black stereotype which many readers will find offensive. Let's make him not black anymore.

Don't worry, though. I'm sure all the offensive Asian and Native American caricatures will still be there.

Grignr
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
If only Donald had visited Iowa and encountered offensive-stereotype White People who look like Homer Simpson or something. But I guess white people all look like ducks (except when they're beagles).

The redrawn art isn't jarringly out of place; if anything, the original art is more jarringly caricatured. The internet says Disney never lets it get reprinted, so I assume that will continue. I hadn't realized they changed the words, also.

Better to edit them than to hide them in The Vault with Song of the South.

Sprite
01-07-2011, 06:43 AM
If only Donald had visited Iowa and encountered offensive-stereotype White People who look like Homer Simpson or something. But I guess white people all look like ducks (except when they're beagles).
I'm sure there's a hillbilly story in there somewhere. You can't write adventure comics for thirty years without offending everyone under the sun.
The redrawn art isn't jarringly out of place; if anything, the original art is more jarringly caricatured.
Oh, I agree. You still end up with a story that depicts Africans as violent mercenary savages, though. And a story in which the only black character that wasn't a bad guy is changed into a white character.
Better to edit them than to hide them in The Vault with Song of the South.
True that.

christoffing
01-17-2011, 05:46 AM
it's the same problem as they're having with tintin in congo

why not just put a foreword that explains the horrors of racism and the attitudes that were commonplace back when these things were written? kids just might learn something, and you don't need to redraw it

Sven
01-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Because the material's likely to be read by kids too young to understand the contextual issues. The explanation will go over their heads, the racist caricatures won't.

christoffing
01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
nah, kids nowadays don't care for carl barks

fugu13
01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
And couldn't afford this release anyways . . .

Plus, I think any kid who could read these and notice the racial stereotypes, but who wouldn't get such a frontispiece, would be able to get enough out of a discussion with their parents (and any kid that young reading anything should be having it mediated by their parents) that it would be an overall positive experience.

Ample Vigour
01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Disney didn't get where they are by being stupid with their brands. Letting the old, racist art out into the world is a relatively high risk with almost no upside.

christoffing
01-18-2011, 04:55 AM
apart from historical accuracy?

works like this or tintin for that matter are great partly because they represent the spirit and attitudes of their era, both in a positive manner, i.e. the spirit of adventure and discovery, and in some cases a negative way, i.e. racial stereotyping and colonialist attitudes. to remove the negatives is to pretend as if racism never existed for the sake of their "brand". to say "it's a children's book" is to ignore the almost universal appeal of these books. and c'mon, children aren't that stupid. parents should read stuff like this with their kids. it's a great way to bring up the topic of racism if nothing else

what comes next? removal of gender stereotyping? if this edition, which is clearly meant for adult audiences given the extensive/expensive nature of the thing, aims to be a "definitive" version it needs to make sure it represents all sides of barks artistry, not just the positive sides.

ergo: the mature and historically correct thing to do is to either keep the racial stereotyping, embarrassing as it may be, explain it (and hopefully condemn it) in a foreword, or take it out and explain what has been taken out and why in some sort of notation

Sven
01-18-2011, 07:34 AM
and c'mon, children aren't that stupid.

Yes, they really are, especially about racial issues.

Shit, look how dumb a lot of adults are about this type of thing, and they've had years to know better.

R.R. Bigman
01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
What's really hilarious, though, is when the retouch is worse than the original:

Hey, this character is a black stereotype which many readers will find offensive. Let's make him not black anymore.

Being afraid of ghosts is a black stereotype?

ajr82
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM

This one seems fine to me. The problems with the first one are:
a. The huge-lipped blackface-style design
b. The exagerrated shuck-and-jive speech patterns

The edit doesn't have either of those problems.

Sprite
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Actually, yes. Back then, anyway.
a. The huge-lipped blackface-style design
b. The exagerrated shuck-and-jive speech patterns
And those, too.
The edit doesn't have either of those problems.
Right, but it also whitewashes the character. Now the only black characters in the story are badguys and monsters (I think. This is a Bombie the Zombie story, I'm guessing).

Adam
01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Actually, yes. Back then, anyway.

To be blunt, is this where the term Spook came from?

Nodal
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
I can't read Donald in comics without hearing his voice in my head.

Luana
01-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Consider that they're talking about zombies, and tie that to its roots in voodoo/vodou, and there you have it.

christoffing
01-19-2011, 03:41 AM

remember that south park episode?

"they're burning a T, as in 'time to leave'"

taosterman
08-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Threadsurrection! I'm reading these collections in original publication order, and I really love them, dated racial portrayals notwithstanding. I just read the first proper Scrooge McDuck adventure story (The Old Castle's Secret), so I'm still pretty early on, but I love seeing how the world I'm so used to from DuckTales was slowly built piecemeal. It's also strange seeing Donald Duck speak so much and act as a prime mover in stories, even if he's still pretty oafish.

Sprite
08-10-2016, 08:58 AM
It's interesting comparing the extras of this collection and the Don Rosa collection. The notes in the Carl Barks books are thoroughly dull, treating Barks like an untouchable god of cartooning, and fall all over themselves to justify his stereotypes and inaccuracies. Don Rosa's collection, meanwhile, has notes written by Rosa himself, filled with fun anecdotes and gleeful evisceration of his own work's flaws.

Sporophyte
08-10-2016, 09:05 AM
I have been enjoying the Don Rosa collection, but they seem to have stalled in publishing them. Volume 5 was originally supposed to release in June but it is not out yet and as far as I can tell nothing has been said about when it actually will come out.

Ample Vigour
08-10-2016, 09:54 AM
It's interesting comparing the extras of this collection and the Don Rosa collection. The notes in the Carl Barks books are thoroughly dull, treating Barks like an untouchable god of cartooning, and fall all over themselves to justify his stereotypes and inaccuracies. Don Rosa's collection, meanwhile, has notes written by Rosa himself, filled with fun anecdotes and gleeful evisceration of his own work's flaws.

I don't give Barks a pass for his racial insensitivity, but I do respect that in one of his later stories he went out of his way to portray a Native American farmer as a sophisticated college graduate. Like white America as a whole, he came to the idea of nonwhite personhood in fits and starts.

Ample Vigour
08-10-2016, 10:03 AM
It's also strange seeing Donald Duck speak so much and act as a prime mover in stories, even if he's still pretty oafish.

One of the things I disliked about Ducktales, even as a little kid, was how Launchpad had such a defanged version of Donald's happy-go-lucky-powderkeg personality. Barks' Donald is one of the all-time great characters.

Falselogic
08-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the REZ Tao! Reminds me I need to get the Banks book and the Rosa one.

It is just those two right?

Loki
08-10-2016, 11:17 AM
AHAHAHA.

I've got 5 Banks but I've never even seen a Rosa in the wild. Either Fantagraphics isn't publishing as many or distributor's aren't ordering them.

taosterman
08-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the REZ Tao! Reminds me I need to get the Banks book and the Rosa one.

As long as you're here, this should probably be in the books subforum!

Falselogic
08-10-2016, 11:36 AM
AHAHAHA.

I've got 5 Banks but I've never even seen a Rosa in the wild. Either Fantagraphics isn't publishing as many or distributor's aren't ordering them.

Im kinda only looking for the Scrooge McDuck ones I guess.

As long as you're here, this should probably be in the books subforum!

Done.

Falselogic
08-10-2016, 11:39 AM
AHAHAHA.

I just ordered the Don Rosa vol. 1 book from Amazon?

taosterman
08-10-2016, 11:42 AM
There are some Scrooge stories in the Donald collections. I have access to pretty much all of them through the library, though, so cost isn't really an issue.

teg
08-10-2016, 12:04 PM

The first of the Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse books explains that Mickey Mouse couldn't possibly be racist, because Mickey himself is black.