PDA

View Full Version : Toy Dorkery here

RAC
06-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I can't be the only person who buys toys and talks and writes entirely too much about them. Okay, I could be, but I'm willing to take that chance.

I got the Transformers Movie Bumblebee figure today, and he is good. I like how they're handling the Automorph feature, because it doesn't transform the whole thing for me- the hood shifts around to become a torso when you push a button, and there's some simple but somehow impressive geared action between the foot/rear bumper and calf/rear windshield. So it's got both a nifty action feature and fiddly Transformersness, which is a good balance.

Despite a lot of fanshriek about the styling, in the broader sense- door wings behind shoulders, shoulder-mounted missile launchers, car hood torso- he could've come right the hell out of 1984. Though his face reminds me a lot of the bug Jedi in the Star Wars prequels.

I'm also looking forward to the movie "Authentic Action" line of non-transformable toys because it's based on Kaiyodo's Revoltech series, and I want to know if that Mazinkaiser is actually worth it.

Vahn16
06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I finally bought a few of those really cool FFXII action figures when I was at A Kon. I knew that they were overpriced, but then one thing echoed throught my mind: "BALTHIER." And then I knew I could not resist.

shivam
06-07-2007, 11:29 PM
i admit to having a crippling weakness for 1 coin figures from japan, especially for things like mecha and video game characters, and minibusts and all that.

and robotech veritechs.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
My weaknesses are movie character action figures and cool, unique superhero toys. I actually have an officially licensed Japanese SD Captain America figurine.

I just wish my wife would let me display my cool zombie figure from the original Dawn of the Dead that my little brother bought me last Christmas.

Parish
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
My next site post is going to be loaded with toy dorkery, unfortunately....

shivam
06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
hey parish, do you still have that max jenious veritech?

Excitemike
06-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I used to be big into Transformers. I even went to the convention a few years ago. I don't buy that much, I'm usually pretty content to just look at them in the packaging. I can appreciate the craftsmanship of a well made toy.

sraymonds
06-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I've spent way too much on toys over the recent years. And I've started picking up the Transformers movie line, of which I have Bumblebee, Jazz, Iron Hide, Barricade, Blackout, Bonecrusher, and Scorponok.

I like the way the toys are designed, but I seem to be having a little bit of trouble with some of the automorph features. Not every pops out all the way, in the case of Jazz's head. I got to go and pluck his head all the way out, but the slightest bump makes his head shrink back in.

I set up a Livejournal to talk about all my nerd passions, but it's really kind of rough right now. Oh, the LJ is also there so my girlfriend knows which ones I already have, just in case she wanted to get me something...

Savathun
06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I buy a lot of videogame related toys. I think I have three Lara Crofts, a Cloud, a Sephiroth, every MGS toy but the giant Snake Eater one (anatomically correct, too, probably. So it's just as well. People would start asking questions), and that crazy awesome Ashe from FFXII.

I just wish I had a desk to put all these things on.

RAC
06-09-2007, 10:23 PM
So far the automorph stuff is working okay for me though I'm having a little trouble lately in getting Bumblebee's hood lined back up when I retract it for car mode. I got Wreckage on Friday, and I like him overall- vehicle mode's a bit boxy, but not too bad.

I don't have a lot of game-based figures, but I'm hoping to get Angelo and Jessica to round out my Play Arts DQ8 set soon. And someday, I hope we will see a Samus figure that doesn't suck.

Savathun
06-09-2007, 10:24 PM
And someday, I hope we will see a Samus figure that doesn't suck.

Agreed. And some toys of the bosses from Metroid Primes 1 and 2 would be nice.

Actually, this is gonna reveal me as an even bigger geek than I already appeared to be, but I used to daydream about how great Super Metroid toys would be. And how the box art and everything for them would look, even.

I still want my giant Kraid toy.

Torgo
06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
As I have said previously, all I have is a Quickman action figure I found at a Gamestop two and a half years ago. It cost me all of $2.50. Lacking any sort of desk, I've simply kept him in his packaging.

sraymonds
06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up some FFXII figures, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I prefer the brick and mortar stores to the online places also. Off the top of my head, the only video game figures I have are figures of superheroes or robots that had a game made of them.

And I, um, well, when I was younger, I wore a Tifa figure on my school ID chain. I got in trouble for it once.

RAC
06-12-2007, 06:54 AM
After a couple days I finally remembered the toy series that Busou Shinki reminded me of: Xevoz. While it may only rate a 50% on the Parish Scale (Xevoz figures have great articulation and come with lots of option parts, but lack any connection to video gaming or tiny-but-powerful women) the first two criteria made for a pretty awesome toy line as it was. It was made by the creator of Stikfas for Hasbro. The subject matter's entirely different- I'm trying to remember if there any female figures at all, it was largely robots and skeletons with the occasional ninja, soldier, or human/dunebuggy hybrid thrown in. Might be a little too fond of skeletons- I think they made five or so, though only two of those I think shared many if any pieces.

The official site is loud and obnoxious, but Hasbro's shop site (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=735) has a couple pictures to give the general idea. I wish there was a video game tie-in here, because it might've lasted longer than the four assortments it got.

And more pictures: http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/toys/xevoz3.php

Peach
06-12-2007, 09:08 AM
I've purchased a couple of Revoltech's line of posable action figures. They have great range of movement, are fairly durable, and since the line consists almost entirely of robots, highly relevant to my interests.

Other than that, I'm considering purchasing a Yamato 1/48 scale, fully-transformable Valkyrie from Macross (what are these VERY-TECHS you keep talking about, Shivam?). The only thing that's preventing me from doing so immediately is the $100 price tag, which is a little steep - even for idol of my youth.

Excitemike
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I heard the Yamato's are fragile. Also, the price tag.

The Revoltechs are good? I've been thinking of picking up a King Gainer...

reibeatall
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I've got the entire "3-d Anime From Japan" line of McFarlane toys. Unfortunately, since I've moved to my apartment, I've got no place for them, so they're just sitting in a box, next to the Matrix Trilogy McFarlane toys.

sraymonds
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Is there anyway to tell if a figure is a Revoltech? I have an EVA 002, and it says Kaiyodo on it's foot, but the joints don't seem as posable as the ones I see online. Did they at some point change the joints they used?

RAC
06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
There are quite a few pre-Revoltech Eva figures by Kaiyodo, mainly sculpted by Revoltech creator Katsuhisa Yamaguchi. They're probably not as poseable as the later line, and use plain old hinges at the elbow and knee. Basically, if your Eva was made before last year and/or doesn't have the spherical Revoltech joints at the knees, ankles and elbows, it's most likely not a Revoltech Eva.

One of these days I'm gonna grab the Revoltech Mazinkaiser, since it's the only `Kaiser that's not hideously expensive.

shivam
06-12-2007, 10:58 AM
The 1:48 Yamatos are ok (aside from the great packaging, the models themselves are nothing particularly special), but the 1:60 Bandais are pretty awesome themselves, with really sturdy construction that holds up to frequent transforming, and like 40-50 dollars cheaper. They were released for the 20th anniversary of macross, and are really well made.

That said, i yearn desperately for the yamato macross plus and macross zero valkyries.

ShakeWell
06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I sporadically buy toys, but I'm not exactly a collector. I open them all and put them around my room. My fiancee would never let me put them in the open, so I put them in the game room. The only one I haven't opened is a Japanese Starscream I got for my birthday a few years ago. He's pretty big, and, I think, pretty valuable. When I got back from Japan in 2004, I had a glut of capsule toys that've now found their way up there. My favorites are Kinnikuman giving Buffaloman a Kinniku-Buster, a Rockman Dash figure and an Iori Yagami. I have some others, but those were the big favorites. On a separate note, I dropped at least 2000 yen into a capsule machine there trying to get the little Rockman keychain/charm thing, and never got the damn thing. It looked like one of these (http://mgrsti3030s.seamlesstech.biz/Merchant/classic_game_shop.jpg), but it was a Capcom series, not a Namco one. It had a little Rockman and a little Hard Hat guy on it. I did get the Galaga one from the Namco collection on my first try, though.

Found the pic: I got every one of these damn things, most twice, but never the Rockman! (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-01-49-en-70-14gv.html)

yakkotank
06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
After a couple days I finally remembered the toy series that Busou Shinki reminded me of: Xevoz.

Hey, someone else knows about Xevoz! Strangely enough, on the Xevoz forum (of course there's a Xevoz forum), there's a thread dedicated to Busou Shinki.

Excitemike
07-05-2007, 09:31 AM
The movie-version Optimus Prime is amazing. Intricate design that doesn't interfere with poseability. May be the best TF I've ever laid my hands on.

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
How much? I might have to buy Starscream.

Peach
07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm glad to see this thread pop up again because I recently ordered the the MS-18 Kampfer and GP04 Gerbera-Tetra Gundam Fix Figuration figures.

MS-18 Kampfer
http://www.dannychoo.com/images/photo/5508.jpg
(Image Not Mine)

GP04 Gerbera-Tetra
http://www.dannychoo.com/images/photo/231.jpg
(Image Not Mine)

I'll talk about how they handle when they actually arrive. But look at that detail!

Mightyblue
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
It's not out yet, but I want the Alter ARX-7 Arbalest (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/matrixcollectibles_1957_31586049). That, and I saw a Yamato 1/60 Macross Zero Valkyrie retailing for over $200. :(

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I really want that MGS4 Old Snake action figure.

shivam
07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
That, and I saw a Yamato 1/60 Macross Zero Valkyrie retailing for over $200. :(

yeah, it makes me cry. the zero valkyries are so awesome...

RAC
07-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I have to admit that I'm spoiled by the Mobile Suit in Action(!!) figures- I got the Gundam Fix version of the Gundam X recently, and it's gorgeous. But... most of Bandai's modern model kits outpose the thing and are more stable, let alone MSiA. It's not quite McFarlane immobile, but I have come to expect more.

I think I'd be more partial to Fix stuff if I had display space around here. Still, it has three separate configurations and looks good in all three, which is not a usual MSiA trait. But, sooooo fidgety. I'm torn.

I've been thinking about the big movie Prime, but I kind of want the $20 more when I can find it, if only because it comes with a little Peter Cullen-esque "holographic" driver that vanishes when the cab door is opened.

Excitemike
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I've been thinking about the big movie Prime, but I kind of want the $20 more when I can find it, if only because it comes with a little Peter Cullen-esque "holographic" driver that vanishes when the cab door is opened.

Wait, what?

I have the Crossbone Fix. It's pretty, not very poseable and difficult to change the parts. But the paint job is better than anything I could ever do. I've been considering getting the new G3, I think it has metal parts.

RAC
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I think it does, yeah. As for Prime, here's a review of the Target-exclusive version of the mold (http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=798). The driver's in the second picture from the top. Not sure, but I think the driver's clear blue on the standard version.

j00ey
07-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Not sure, but I think the driver's clear blue on the standard version.

optimus prime is driven by the invisible guy from old hentai games?

Excitemike
07-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I think it does, yeah. As for Prime, here's a review of the Target-exclusive version of the mold (http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=798). The driver's in the second picture from the top. Not sure, but I think the driver's clear blue on the standard version.

Ah, it''s a different figure, thank goodness! I thought I had bought an inferior version.

I mean, what? It's a toy, I don't care about that stuff.

Calorie Mate
07-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I wish I knew what happened to the Transformers I had when I was a kid. A lot of my toys have survived that era, but those robotic lil' fuckers seem to have disappeared.

Excitemike
07-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I wish I knew what happened to the Transformers I had when I was a kid. A lot of my toys have survived that era, but those robotic lil' fuckers seem to have disappeared.

Choose Your Own Snarky Response:

For "That's because the are very good at their job", turn to page 96!

For "So sad. Even your toys are avoiding you", turn to page 34!

Sheana
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I bought a Booster Gold action figure today! Maybe if I stare at it and send psychic brainwaves long enough more JLI characters will get made.

RAC
07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
It's possible! Mattel just picked up the master license for DC Comics, meaning that characters DC picked up through corporate osmosis like Blue Beetle, The Question, and Shazam/Captain Marvel are now available to them. Of course, that doesn't change things much if you got a DC Direct Booster...

Zef
07-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Heh! There are Transformers plushies! Transformable, even, thanks to some well-placed velcro strips. I bought Optimus and Bumblebee, and they're actually pretty neat. I'd take pics, but I bought them for my six month-old nephew and he just went home with them. :) I'll snap a photo or two next time he visits.

sraymonds
07-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Heh! There are Transformers plushies! Transformable, even, thanks to some well-placed velcro strips. I bought Optimus and Bumblebee, and they're actually pretty neat. I'd take pics, but I bought them for my six month-old nephew and he just went home with them. :) I'll snap a photo or two next time he visits.

AHEM, you mean Softimus Prime and Slumblebee.

My girlfriend got me the leader class Optimus, and he's pretty cool, and he has a nice, complicated transformation. I plan on picking up Starscream tomorrow, which leaves me needed Swindle and Megatron to complete the movie collection.

How much? I might have to buy Starscream.

May I point you to this? (http://tformers.com/Masterpiece-Starscream-to-be-WalMart-Exclusive/7983/news.html) I plan on picking it up when it eventually goes on clearance.

Excitemike
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I wuv my slumblebee.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 01:01 AM
May I point you to this? (http://tformers.com/Masterpiece-Starscream-to-be-WalMart-Exclusive/7983/news.html) I plan on picking it up when it eventually goes on clearance.

But can he actually transform, or is he a figure?

Peach
07-07-2007, 01:04 AM
He transforms, alright. He's designed by Shoji Kowamori, designer of the Valkyries from Macross, and the undisputed king of plane-robot mecha.

shivam
07-07-2007, 01:18 AM
holeee crap. i needs it, i do.

sraymonds
07-07-2007, 10:47 AM
I may have a problem. I've collected all the movie Autobots, and I need more.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/lsrsera/Temp.jpg

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 01:56 PM
$60, eh? Hmm...

I'd buy the movie Starscream, but he looks like butt.

Eusis
07-07-2007, 04:33 PM
I may have a problem. I've collected all the movie Autobots, and I need more.

Buy Decepticons.

RAC
07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
There should be Generation 1-themed repaints of Jazz and Ratchet within a month or so. Also a Deluxe-sized towtruck named Longarm, the modern Camaro Bumblebee, and a new Deluxe-sized Arcee based vaguely off of the Energon motorcycle version.

sraymonds
07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Buy Decepticons.

Well....I need Megatron and Swindle, and then I'd be all done.

Also, I was under the impression that "midnight stealth" meant something...dirty.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/lsrsera/Image018.jpg

RAC
07-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Maroon-Spider-Man-who-should-be-red reminds me of Superman Returns. That was the most depressingly lit and colored movie I've ever seen about a man who dresses in red, yellow and blue.

Excitemike
07-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Which led me to this:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/inferno.jpg

Man, I wish I went to Botcon this year...

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
If only I could figure out what the T stood for.

thomp538
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I has a problem. I've collected all the movie Autobots, and I need moar.

Fixed it for you

thomp538
07-07-2007, 09:25 PM
If only I could figure out what the T stood for.
Toasty....

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 11:04 PM
ToastyFormers? Awesome.

Seriously though, this thread sucks. No one is talking about anything else in The Pit, they're all thinkin' too hard about toys.

JohnB
07-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Does anyone own any of the Revoltech toys, particularly optimus? Is it awesome? The last action figure I've bought was the die cast metal 5" Optimus Prime figure, but he's kinda lame when it comes to keeping him posed and kickass. The lack of transforming in a Revoltech also means the increased cool factor of posability. Anybody out there got one, and/or know a cheaper place to get these?

For reference's sake: http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Cybertron-Commander-Optimus-Revoltech/dp/B000KN4UFS/ref=sr_1_5/102-0071593-6260923?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1183903087&sr=1-5

Vahn16
07-08-2007, 09:42 PM
I kinda wish I was going to Comic-Con now. (http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/07/08/what-a-horrible-summer-not-to-be-going-to-comic-con/)

This does open up new avenues for Castlevania figures, though. Exciting ones, with car chases and explosions--figuratively speaking, of course.

RAC
07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Does anyone own any of the Revoltech toys, particularly optimus? Is it awesome? The last action figure I've bought was the die cast metal 5" Optimus Prime figure, but he's kinda lame when it comes to keeping him posed and kickass. The lack of transforming in a Revoltech also means the increased cool factor of posability. Anybody out there got one, and/or know a cheaper place to get these?

For reference's sake: http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Cybertron-Commander-Optimus-Revoltech/dp/B000KN4UFS/ref=sr_1_5/102-0071593-6260923?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1183903087&sr=1-5

I'm afraid I don't own one so there's not much to say about them, but it looks like I can save you five bucks:

http://www.tisinc99.com/rev499209.html

I've dealt with them before, and they're pretty prompt and haven't given me any trouble so far.

According to the display seen at Botcon, the Robot Replica figure of Movie Prime should be out in September for $10. I figure I'll pick that up to get an idea of what Revoltech is like.

shivam
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
holy crap, masterpiece Gabranth (http://kotaku.com/gaming/commemorating-regicide/20-gabranth-to-terrorize-children-wallets-276078.php)

i need this yesterday/

Vahn16
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I need money so I can need that yesterday.

mr_bungle700
07-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I don't even collect figures/toys and I still want that thing. The price is going to be downright painful though.

Savathun
07-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Ah, I still want a big Undying One, not a Gabranth, darn it.

Squall
07-10-2007, 03:02 AM
And while we're at it, a life-sized Balthier love-doll!

Savathun
07-10-2007, 03:40 AM
It's not easy being that popular, you know.

sraymonds
07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I bought a Revoltech Evangelion EVA 00, and the elbow and wrist joints are hella loose. I put clear nail polish into them, but that's only going to be a temporary solution. Are all Revoltech figures like this?

RAC
07-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I got Pepsi Optimus Prime yesterday, which is the original 1984 toy reissued with a new Pepsi-whoring paint scheme and trailer. Outside of having shortened smokestacks- stupid children and their tender, vulnerable eyes!- it's quite nice. Having owned only secondhand Primes in the past this marks the first time I've owned one with hands. And you can store the hands and rifle on the underside of the Pepsi bottle-holding trailer, which is a nice touch I'd love to see added onto the next rerelease of the original trailer.

shivam
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
i left my revoltech eva in the box because it was flopping around.

Excitemike
07-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I got Pepsi Optimus Prime yesterday, which is the original 1984 toy reissued with a new Pepsi-whoring paint scheme and trailer. Outside of having shortened smokestacks- stupid children and their tender, vulnerable eyes!- it's quite nice. Having owned only secondhand Primes in the past this marks the first time I've owned one with hands. And you can store the hands and rifle on the underside of the Pepsi bottle-holding trailer, which is a nice touch I'd love to see added onto the next rerelease of the original trailer.

Shortened stacks? Is this out in the U.S.? How much did you get it for?

My friend bought this last year. I thought it was dumb, until he took it out of the package. I've coveted one ever since.

(It's not like I'm really into Pepsi or anything, but I also secretly covet Pepsiman for the PS1)

RAC
07-21-2007, 04:07 PM
It is a US release, yeah, albeit a fairly limited one. HasbroToyShop.com had it for $25, but it's out of stock (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=56&ID=19749) now. Pepsi's also holding a contest until August 6th where they're giving 100 of them away a day- there's entry codes inside 20 oz. Pepsi and Mountain Dew bottlecaps. And I believe they're going to be available at Comic-Con, if you know anybody who's going.

The smokestacks now end at the top of Prime's shoulder, exactly like the US version of Masterpiece Prime and Hasbro's earlier Prime and Ultra Magnus reissues. Kinda stubby and dumb-looking, but not enough so that I'm willing to blow the extra $20+ on the Takara release.

Swordian
07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
So, where do you people buy all these shiny toys from? I've been checking out the comic con coverage and there are some sweet looking Macross figures there.

shivam
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
so yesterday i was back in Davis doing some stuff at my old college, and i went back to my old gamestore there. He had in his case a slightly busted old JETFIRE transformer.

For those of you who don't know, Jetfire was basically a repainted macross vf-1s valkyrie toy (roy fokker). This one was practically perfect, except that one of the arms was broken. It was about 44 bucks. I might have to go back and get it. I'm too much a macross otaku to let this pass.

http://members.wri.com/jeffb/transformers/Jetfire.jpg

RAC
10-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Funny you should revive this now! I was thinking about posting earlier because I just saw pictures of the FFIV Trading Arts figures and they look really good. (...and I lost the link already.)

$44 sounds like it could be a half-decent price, depending on how broken the arm is. (Is it still there at all, out of curiosity?)

I lucked out, and about a year ago my uncle gave me an actual Valkyrie from the Jetfire mold that he had in his basement. Awesome toy, and in great shape too.

shivam
10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
it's still there. it's just missing the little clip piece that would hold it there. and wait, your uncle has a jetfire mold??

Red Hedgehog
10-02-2007, 11:21 PM
so yesterday i was back in Davis doing some stuff at my old college, and i went back to my old gamestore there. He had in his case a slightly busted old JETFIRE transformer.

Ooh, I had that one growing up.

Daikaiju
10-04-2007, 05:43 AM
I've enjoyed the Alternator line as well as the Classics. However beating the collector/speculators to the shevels is an annoying task.

My first Optimus was the RiD fire truck. He kicks serious booty. I've also managed to get a 25th anniversery Takara Optimus with a die-cast Matrix and a repainted Action Master Optimus. best part about that toy was the incusion of a sheet of Autobot decals. Now I can deputize any transforming toy worthy of the sigil!. Pepsi Prime arrived via Mountain Dew's TF movie contest and and my Pepsi swilling co-workers.

As far as Vid game toys, I have some from the old FFVII & FFIX figures. Thanks to conventions, I also have Megaman X and MegaMan Legends (with drill arm). And from my heady younger days, a Tron Bonne statue with Servbots. Still looking for a spot to display that...

Savathun
10-04-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm kind of considering buying a Prophet of Truth figure.

I'll probably just end up buying some pizzas instead. I don't know if I'll regret this decision.

Excitemike
10-04-2007, 08:00 AM
it's still there. it's just missing the little clip piece that would hold it there. and wait, your uncle has a jetfire mold??

I think he means the original Macross toy (shares the same mold as Jetfire).

philliam
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/philliamahn/anal/1182696600296.jpg

Excitemike
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm so glad you found the right girl! It looks like you two will be very happy together.

Savathun
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Who IS that guy!?

You're on camera, you fool!

RAC
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I think he means the original Macross toy (shares the same mold as Jetfire).

Yup, exactly- sorry for the confusion. My sentence construction is apparently atrocious that close to bedtime.

Eirikr
10-04-2007, 01:59 PM
The other day I took it upon myself to rebuild some old lego sets that had been languishing in deconstruction. The first I did was my old Knight castle (http://home.comcast.net/~ericjonathansmith/legocastle2.jpg): I remember I used to pretend it was Castle Baron from FFIV. I even made figures of the main characters! No clue where they are now, but I remember I made a Cid with a hammer and other tools.

I also made this (http://home.comcast.net/~ericjonathansmith/legojack.jpg)the other day with some spare white and blue bricks. I had just enough to make it look discernible.

shivam
10-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Yup, exactly- sorry for the confusion. My sentence construction is apparently atrocious that close to bedtime.

heh. i decided to go ebaying for it, since i'm just that much a macross junkie that even a repaint excites me.

Parish
10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I was always jealous that my brother was the one who ended up Jetfire when we were kids. Sure, I got Optimus Prime, but Jetfire! Come on, no comparison. Even if he was ganked wholesale from Robotech.

I looked at buying an old Jetfire almost a decade and a half ago, when the Web was still very young and eBay hadn't even been conceived. He was $120 sans box back then and hasn't gotten any cheaper... and none of the remakes have the same sense of simplicity, elegance and solidity than the old Transformers do. I looked at some Valkyries, even Revoltechs, while I was at TGS, but nothing is quite so perfect as that original Jetfire.

(So, uh, I bought a bunch of new Busou Shinki figures instead.)

Parish
10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Also, that Jack Frost is beautiful. The :O face on the hat really makes it.

Excitemike
10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Bandai reissued the original Valkyries (Jetfire) for Macross' 20th anniversery. Non-blunted nosecones, no booster packs. They are still availible (http://www.imageanime.com/bamavavfichi.html)if you do a little searching and they usually sell for under $100. (Unless you want Roy or Max color schemes, then you are S.O.L.) Unless you absolutely have to have Autobot symbols, it's a good alternative.

Excitemike
10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
And has anyone seen these new MGS figures? (http://mgrsti3030s.seamlesstech.biz/templates/frmTemplateR.asp?CatalogID=14186&SearchYN=N&subFolderID=165)

TheSL
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
And has anyone seen these new MGS figures? (http://mgrsti3030s.seamlesstech.biz/templates/frmTemplateR.asp?CatalogID=14186&SearchYN=N&subFolderID=165)

Shit, I need those.

sraymonds
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Bigger pics here. (http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=index&id=82612) Just click on the thumbnails near the bottom.

RAC
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I was always jealous that my brother was the one who ended up Jetfire when we were kids. Sure, I got Optimus Prime, but Jetfire! Come on, no comparison. Even if he was ganked wholesale from Robotech.

I looked at buying an old Jetfire almost a decade and a half ago, when the Web was still very young and eBay hadn't even been conceived. He was $120 sans box back then and hasn't gotten any cheaper... and none of the remakes have the same sense of simplicity, elegance and solidity than the old Transformers do. I looked at some Valkyries, even Revoltechs, while I was at TGS, but nothing is quite so perfect as that original Jetfire.

The original Valkyrie toy will probably never be duplicated. (except for those horrifically-decoed "Galaxy Defender" knockoffs floating around, but they clearly don't count.) Even the Banpresto Perfect Transformation Valks just aren't quite there, even though having a Valkyrie roughly the same height as my Gundam figures is fun.

But I am quite fond of Classics Jetfire too- I love optional armor, and the helmet lets you switch between a toyish Jetfire and a cartoon Skyfire face. It's not the original, but it's the best of the modern Jetfires easily.

(So, uh, I bought a bunch of new Busou Shinki figures instead.)

Keen! Did you ever get the PC game part working, by the way? I was kind of curious to see how that worked. (Or did I miss that post?)

Parish
10-04-2007, 04:53 PM
No, the sneering retards who came out of the woodwork after I posted to say, "Wow, these are cool" made me a bit gunshy about messing with the line. I may have to change my mind once the 7th wave comes out, though... Arc and Iida have a Macross/Mospaeda vibe about their massive armor attachments that really shouldn't go without recognition. (The Macross influence is pretty overt... the EX add-on basically turns a character into Minmei.)

shivam
10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Bandai reissued the original Valkyries (Jetfire) for Macross' 20th anniversery. Non-blunted nosecones, no booster packs. They are still availible (http://www.imageanime.com/bamavavfichi.html)if you do a little searching and they usually sell for under $100. (Unless you want Roy or Max color schemes, then you are S.O.L.) Unless you absolutely have to have Autobot symbols, it's a good alternative.

Yeah, i've been collecting them. When i was in japan, i saw roy and the two rick hunter models, but stupidly only bought the roy. Since then, i've gotten the ben dixon brown one, and am slowly hunting the rest.

ArugulaZ
10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Did anyone else complete the Constructicon set? My brother and I picked up all six of the robots when we were kids, then put them all together to create one gigantic Transformer. I mean, damn, six Transformers that transform into one big Transformer! Can it get any better than this? We thought not. We were thrilled to death with our new creation, then after fifteen straight minutes of playing with it, we took it apart, stuffed the component pieces into various drawers throughout the house, and never played with them again.

Over twenty years later, I'm still convinced that Hasbro reached its climax with the Constructicons. Once they had gotten to that point, there was nothing else they could do to make the toy line more awesome. They shot their proverbial load, which probably explains why the popularity of Transformers declined about a year after the Constructicons were introduced. Either that or that silly movie was to blame.

VsRobot
10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I had a whole collection of transforming toys that went from robots to rocks and back again.

Yeah, doesn't seem so exciting in hindsight. Still, fuck Transformers. GOBOTS!

http://www.filmsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/RockLords1.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/planetsabretron/gobots_boulder.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/planetsabretron/gobots_magmar.gif

Excitemike
10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Devastator is a piece of crap. He can't even support his own weight.

Yet, I love him.

I had that rock lord on the right. And I had his jet. It was made out of rocks.

sraymonds
10-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I had the dude on the left, and I remember breaking his gun.

ArugulaZ
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I had at least one toy from Imperial that was similar to the Rock Lord Go-Bots. It was an ugly silver comet that transformed into an equally ugly silver lion. One hemisphere of the comet doubled as the lion's head and mane. It was like what would happen if someone pimped out the lions from Voltron but also overfed them.

Eirikr
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Still, fuck Transformers. GOBOTS!

I totally forgot those Rock Lords were part of the Gobots line. I love knock-off toys in general. There is an infamous GI Joe knock-off line called the CORPS! (always in caps and with an exclamation) and I must have at least a hundred or more of them, all basically variations on 20 or so figures. They all had "great" code names, like Whispering Willie and Large Sarge that sounded more like they belonged in a children's variety show than the military.

Savathun
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I had a robot rock lord. He had a kind of Johnny-5 face from Short Circuit. I think it was made of metal and you could probably seriously hurt someone by throwing it. Probably more than throwing a real rock/robot.

ArugulaZ
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I totally forgot those Rock Lords were part of the Gobots line. I love knock-off toys in general. There is an infamous GI Joe knock-off line called the CORPS! (always in caps and with an exclamation) and I must have at least a hundred or more of them, all basically variations on 20 or so figures. They all had "great" code names, like Whispering Willie and Large Sarge that sounded more like they belonged in a children's variety show than the military.

Are you sure this wasn't meant as a competitor to M.U.S.C.L.E.?

Eirikr
10-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Are you sure this wasn't meant as a competitor to M.U.S.C.L.E.?

Haha, I'm quite sure (http://www.yojoe.com/archive/actfig/thecorps.shtml). I'm not bragging (it's a very sad thing really) when I say I am one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet about the CORPS!.

ArugulaZ
10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
You got me on that one! For some reason, when you said "knock-off," I read it as "spin-off." I thought maybe Hasbro did something cool like combining the military theme of G.I. Joe with the squishy pink toys of M.U.S.C.L.E., but alas, that was not to be.

Speaking of which, Takara actually made a limited run of Fatal Fury 2 figures that were extremely similar to M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, but slightly larger and a great deal more detailed. They were so cool, but I imagine they're ridiculously hard to find these days.

Eirikr
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Speaking of which, Takara actually made a limited run of Fatal Fury 2 figures that were extremely similar to M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, but slightly larger and a great deal more detailed. They were so cool, but I imagine they're ridiculously hard to find these days.

YES! I remember those. I remember seeing them in an ad in EGM long ago. Didn't you get one by buying the Fatal Fury port for SNES or Genesis? Or it could have been as simple as a mail in offer. I can't remember.

On the topic of squishy little toys, I can't ignore my favorite in that category: Monster In My Pocket. I suppose my love for Shin Megami Tensei unconsciously came from a decade and a half ago as a kid when I collected this menagerie of beasts obsessively.

Savathun
10-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Monster in my Pocket was awesome. I still remember when they started releasing the new series with an extra added color or two for each monster.

It was like a revelation.

Indalecio
10-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I've haven't bought models for years, but I am incredibly tempted to get this (http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01169) and this (http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01168).

RAC
10-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I've been thinking about Revoltech Yotsuba for a while, but it just strikes me as kinda tiny for the price. I am, unfortunately, a very frugal Toy Dork, or I'd have a Busou Shinki figure by now.

Speaking of being a cheap bastard, I'm currently tempted by this Gurren-Lagann kit. (http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-29) I really suck at painting, but at least the head (the tiny top one) comes pre-painted. I might do it anyway since it's the only GL under $50 that I'm aware of. Also I think this line is the only way to get King Kittan right now.

shivam
10-05-2007, 09:52 PM
i just picked up a bandai macross 20th anniversary ichijo veritech in celebration of my new job. awesomesauce.

Mightyblue
10-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Me wants, me WAAAAANNNNTSSSS.... (http://hobbypoint.animeblogger.net/?p=153)

sraymonds
10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Me wants, me WAAAAANNNNTSSSS.... (http://hobbypoint.animeblogger.net/?p=153)

What exactly was the link to? I got nothing.

Vic Viper is pretty. (http://mgrsti3030s.seamlesstech.biz/templates/frmTemplateR.asp?CatalogID=14344&SearchYN=N&subFolderID=165)

dangerhelvetica
10-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I was thinking of buying the Dougram Revoltech simply because it was used by Battletech in the '80s.

Excitemike
10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
This just came in my email: Killing Joke 2 pack.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/killingjoke.jpg

Balrog
11-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Target has an exclusive G.I.Joe plane!

Daikaiju
11-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I had a robot rock lord. He had a kind of Johnny-5 face from Short Circuit. I think it was made of metal and you could probably seriously hurt someone by throwing it. Probably more than throwing a real rock/robot.

That was Nugget wasn't it? Chromed gold coloring? he was the only one I wanted. He reminded me of Bumblebee.