PDA

View Full Version : So*, anyone want to make a mobile game?

fugu13
01-16-2011, 01:38 AM
I've been bouncing around the idea mentally for a while now, but I think there's an opening for a mobile game, in the adventure genre, heavily social and interacting somehow with real locations (perhaps somewhat in the mode of an alternate reality game). There are APIs and services now that make those things a lot more possible than they have been in the past; the game would probably integrate with facebook, because it provides the most comprehensive set of APIs and services related to those goals.

Anyone else interested? I figure we could chat about it in here, hash out various ideas and possible directions, then see who's interested in moving forward with the game. This'd very much be a hobby project, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be ambitious, either, and fun. And another resume item never hurts.

I think I'd have a decent bit to contribute as far as design goes, and my programming skills are very good.

Right now, I have vague inspirations coming from Persona (I liked the sense of place in many of the game interactions, and the social link system), Dennou Coil (the intersection of the virtual and the real in this was extremely compelling), dating sims (games that are all social link!), and Escape Velocity (I have visions of 'cargo runs' between real world locations, plus there's a lot to love about a grand scope and player actions that can affect the course of the game).

*You were expecting a footnote?

gahitsu
01-16-2011, 01:51 AM
How many people would be involved in the process, typically? I would be interested from a design and/or art angle, but um.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Depends on what sorts of plans we come up with :)

I'm guessing a good team would probably have two to three on each of art, programming, design, and writing, with some people wearing more than one hat (so not necessarily a full 8 to 12 people). I have no experience to speak of in creating games, so someone else around here can probably give much better ideas.

Balrog
01-16-2011, 03:27 AM
iOS, Android, WP7???

Oscar
01-16-2011, 05:40 AM
I have zero programming experience, but I could maybe help with art/writing - sounds like a fun idea.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 09:01 AM
iOS, Android, WP7???

I don't think it needs to be nailed down yet, and presumably if it was ever heading towards release, all three of them (which should probably be taken into account in planning and design). Depending on the direction the interaction design ends up going, it might even be possible to do in one of the cross development toolkits.

Right now, I own an iPhone, and have access to a mac that could be used for development, but it might be easier to just target android, as everyone could at least run the simulator on their computers.

If it goes the direction I'm thinking, a lot of the work will be server side. Probably hosted on EC2, because we'd have access to a number of nice infrastructure services, plus scaling, at a pay-for-use rate.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Okay, throwing out a first game idea of many.

Secret Agents

The aesthetic feel might be more 007, or it might be more Chuck, but I think there's a lot of possibility in a game all about spying. Secret missions, complex factions, actions that change the course of the world, all sorts of fun are possible. Plus, the tie-in possibilities to real-world locations are obvious. Additionally, you could easily imagine making special content and such available through QR codes and the like (which you'd analyze with your secret decoder rin^H^H^H app, of course).

Stiv
01-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I'd love to work on a mobile game but my job would probably consider it a conflict of interest. If this actually is going to happen maybe I'll ask them about that.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Hopefully they'll allow it, you're probably the most technically experienced with mobile development on the forum.

Traumadore
01-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I think a first project should probably be less ambitious. It's better to have a finished shmup, platformer or puzzle game than The Best Game Ever that never gets further than some design notes.

tungwene
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I think a first project should probably be less ambitious. It's better to have a finished shmup, platformer or puzzle game than The Best Game Ever that never gets further than some design notes.Saying he should make simpler game as practice is all well and good except he already knows the type of game he wants to make so it should follow that if he wanted to make an experimental game it should be something that would contribute to his final game, which with the exception of maybe the puzzle game, none of your examples do since his game won't need complex controls or physics.

Kirin
01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Sounds ambitious and exciting! I doubt I have the free time to be part of a core team, but I'll keep an eye on this. I keep meaning to get into XCode and ObjC on my Mac, but right now I pretty much just do C++ at work.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I think a first project should probably be less ambitious. It's better to have a finished shmup, platformer or puzzle game than The Best Game Ever that never gets further than some design notes.

Will it be a first game ever for the people working on it? We don't know until people talk about it. This should be at least a slightly larger team than works on a typical first game, which matters too.

But this could easily end up being a small game. One reason for the adventure game genre is that it potentially simplifies a lot of things relating to the art assets and interaction design. Right now we're just tossing around ideas and seeing what interests people.

Plus, while I haven't completed a game before, I have done a few other things ;) . I'm not a college kid mostly looking to improve his resume (though such people are welcome to come along for the ride); I have years of professional experience in software development (and, come to think of it, I actually do have a few simple games and alife simulations under my belt that I programmed back in the day on my graphing calculator). I've also written a few game-like visualization things using pyglet (basically a game engine), working for a research group that was involved in information visualization.

This project is mostly about bouncing around ideas, then seeing if they can be firmed up to go somewhere, and then taking it somewhere if they can be. I'm interested in designing place-oriented social interaction and the possibilities engendered by that (along with some other considerations), and I have pretty much zero interest in creating shmups, platformers, and puzzle games.

reibeatall
01-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Ohh ohh. Me me me! I need somebody and something to push me to write.

Hell, I could conceivably come over sometime during the week (any week, really) after my work and we could hash out ideas.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Sure; we'll probably want to throw up a wiki or somesuch somewhere, and eventually start using a kanban board (there are some nice free and cheap ones online) as we start having more specific tasks.

Oh, I realized I forgot to mention: some of my experience is in managing software development, which is part of why I feel comfortable putting together a somewhat larger team. Managing the creation of a game, and the associated areas outside of software development are new, of course, but that's part of what will make this fun :D (I admit, my ideas of fun are more than a bit different from usual ideas of fun . . .)

shivam
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
i want in!

reibeatall
01-16-2011, 12:36 PM
So, what exactly do you WANT? Like, I see your Secret Agents thing, but what would an actual player be doing, as opposed to ideas about genre and aesthetic.

tl;dr Describe how this will play

Traumadore
01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Woops, didn't mean to sound condescending up there or anything. I just feel like a measured approach is the best way to accomplish a goal. I know there are many people here who know there way around programming and software, so I never doubted that.

kaisel
01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Will it be a first game ever for the people working on it? We don't know until people talk about it. This should be at least a slightly larger team than works on a typical first game, which matters too.

But this could easily end up being a small game. One reason for the adventure game genre is that it potentially simplifies a lot of things relating to the art assets and interaction design. Right now we're just tossing around ideas and seeing what interests people.

Plus, while I haven't completed a game before, I have done a few other things ;) . I'm not a college kid mostly looking to improve his resume (though such people are welcome to come along for the ride); I have years of professional experience in software development (and, come to think of it, I actually do have a few simple games and alife simulations under my belt that I programmed back in the day on my graphing calculator). I've also written a few game-like visualization things using pyglet (basically a game engine), working for a research group that was involved in information visualization.

Pyglet's a fun little library, I used it on my Master's project in data visualization (which, sadly, is a field I'm not nearly as enamored with).

I might be able to help out with the game, though I've never done mobile programming. I have a few other programming projects on my plate, so I don't want to offer super firm support or anything, but I'd love to help out.

Balrog
01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd be interested in helping out with the programming end (my background is java/C#/SQL) and possibly with sprites/UI if they're small enough. I can't really do large sprites that well :\

mablem8
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Sounds ambitious and exciting! I doubt I have the free time to be part of a core team, but I'll keep an eye on this. I keep meaning to get into XCode and ObjC on my Mac.

innerlogic
01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I've been meaning to do a bit more Java/android development, seeing as all I've really been focused on is Unix System level stuff for the past year or so. Considering I'm about to take a advance Java/OO class, it would probably be a good idea to get involved with this. If you need another dev for Android, then I'm up for it.

(And if we have more than one developer, we can always set up a git or svn server to check out code and such, but we can get to that later. Also I should note here that I can do 0.0% graphics or art, as I am not a graphics designer... unless you count video editing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IcqnQT3xvc), in which case I am a master of the form.)

fugu13
01-16-2011, 04:43 PM
So, what exactly do you WANT? Like, I see your Secret Agents thing, but what would an actual player be doing, as opposed to ideas about genre and aesthetic.

tl;dr Describe how this will play

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the adventure game genre (dating sims fall under this). Basically, players experience a series of dialogs and have choices that handle their path through the game. That's the underlying idea, but it's a pretty broad field.

I also think it should be a social game. That is, people should have opportunities for interaction, and it should be an ongoing game that is played in small segments of time, typically a little bit every day. The prototypical social game in the west is Farmville (though that is not the best example at all in terms of game play).

I would like it to involve locations, somehow. For instance, accomplishing certain tasks might require a person go to a location (not necessarily a particular location, perhaps just a new location sufficiently far from old locations).

Beyond that, I don't know how it would play: that's a lot of what I'm interested in hashing out. I'd like to see more game ideas, too. For the secret agent variant, I could imagine people having missions involving visiting locations, obtaining spy equipment (in game, that is), finding (and leaving?) QR codes in various locations, all sorts of things. Instead of having a firm completion, there'd be achievement-type things to get, ongoing.

But I don't want to just choose myself what the game will be like; both 1) I'm sure there are lots of people who have great ideas other than myself and 2) I'd like there to be strong buy-in from the people involved, and a good way to have that is to have the goal be the synthesis of our ideas. That doesn't mean I won't aggressively prune the set of ideas to something manageable; this isn't design by committee so much as design by community.

Glad to see so many people are interested; it sounds like we'll be able to do something really interesting. What are some ideas people have? I'd like to keep the ideas of adventure-style, social, and involving locations (somehow) . . . but that leaves a huge amount of scope.

Traumadore: want to join us crazies ;) and throw out some ideas?

reibeatall: when do you want to meet to do some in-person brainstorming?

reibeatall
01-16-2011, 05:08 PM
I might be able to make it over on Tuesday after work, but it'll only be for like an hour and a half; I've gotta pick Morgan up from school at night and it's quite a long bus ride away.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
If that works for you, that'd work for me, sure. I'll try to draw up some further thoughts (and probably start posting them in a wiki).

Merus
01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
The problem with real-world locations is that you don't want to alienate players playing in remote areas or who play the game on, say, underground transit, where GPS data is unavailable.

One idea I had for a mobile game is a mechanic that creates global challenges of some kind near where it detects players are, scheduled for a specific time. Players go there and they have to do 'something' while in range, and they may well run into other people while they're there.

Stiv
01-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Hopefully they'll allow it, you're probably the most technically experienced with mobile development on the forum.

If you guys get a serious proposal and firm commitments from other people together (including other developers) then I'll discuss it with them. I don't know how much I'd want to do my day job++ in my free time, but I'll find some way to contribute.

For those of you wanting to learn Objective-C, buy some of these. (http://bignerdranch.com/books) Other books on Obj-C/Mac/iOS development are a waste of time, except maybe the O'Reily pocket reference (mostly good for the Obj-C++ gotchas).

Warg
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I have a few initial questions, which will certainly branch out into more:

Because I'm a bit confused -- would this end up being a free app, with donations to cover costs like server operations? Or would it be a paid app?

Allow me a stupid question here, just to clarify -- if you do end up using Facebook APIs, would a Facebook account be required to play this game?

Are you planning on having music and sound effects?

reibeatall
01-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Ok, it's official. I'll be over on Tuesday around 6:30.

fugu13
01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Because I'm a bit confused -- would this end up being a free app, with donations to cover costs like server operations? Or would it be a paid app?

Either paid or freemium, probably, if it actually goes somewhere. For now, it is a future decision ;) .

Allow me a stupid question here, just to clarify -- if you do end up using Facebook APIs, would a Facebook account be required to play this game?

It depends on how it was done, but yes, probably, at least to get the 'full experience'. The main thing a login would be required for would be to 'check in' at a location. Looking up locations doesn't require a login, and knowing a person's latitude/longitude is a property of the phone, not facebook. The main things facebook provides are 1) access to a person's social graph. 2) access to a database of named places (that are the sorts of places people "go to"). 3) the ability to "check in" at named places, and 4) all of this information nicely and programmatically. But maybe we end up going a direction where we can do without this information, I don't know. The facebook thing is just an idea at this point. As we start narrowing in on a specific design, everything could change.

Are you planning on having music and sound effects?

Sure!

Ok, it's official. I'll be over on Tuesday around 6:30.

Excellent.

If you guys get a serious proposal and firm commitments from other people together (including other developers) then I'll discuss it with them. I don't know how much I'd want to do my day job++ in my free time, but I'll find some way to contribute.

Okay; I imagine we'll try to firm up commitments sometime in one to two weeks, after ideas have gelled enough that people know if they're interested in committing or not. Any help you can give would be great, even in just a little bit of basic advice and troubleshooting (as there's a decent chance we'll be using your work's product ;) ).

Red Hedgehog
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
I do want to make a mobile game!

Well rather, I have an idea for a game that I've been meaning to do for awhile that would be appropriate on mobile platform (but that could just as easily be played on a PC).

Still, I'd be happy to get some experience with Objective C (already have lots of Java experience), so I'd be willing to contribute to programming. I don't have any (many) ideas for the type of game you are proposing though.

fugu13
01-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Red Hedgehog: what sort of game are you interested in making? I'd be interested in hearing a bit, and this seems as good a thread as any.

As for ideas, I have another idea that I don't have a good name for, but I'm going to call it

Virtual World Overlay Thing.

I don't know how many people have seen Dennou Coil, but in it, people (the show is mostly about tweens) have glasses that give them a virtual overlay, coexistent with reality. I'm imagining a game like that, where virtual objects and entities are scattered/moving around the real world, and you can find them by holding up your phone (much like google goggles) and looking. Perhaps there's a 'sensor' that can indicate when you're getting nearby with some approximate directional information. Perhaps some of the items improve that sensor's capabilities. Perhaps others let you interact with the entities in various ways. Maybe you'll find strange virtual reality whales swimming through the sky and, if you have the right item, be able to call them towards you, or guide them to somewhere they need to go.

Kirin
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Dennou Coil is awesome, so I approve of this idea.

Also, you beat me to it by one post, but your earlier comments on checking in to real-world locations was making me wonder whether Google Goggles itself has a publicly accessible API. Take a picture of a well-known monument to check in for bonuses or missions? Or even more generic locations... I bet GG could recognize a US Post Office logo/sign, for example.

Balrog
01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
I think it'd be fun for the player to be able have an influence on what was created. Like being able to create a healing spring at their house or a dungeon at McDonalds or something and have that visible to other players or something.

fugu13
01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I think it'd be fun for the player to be able have an influence on what was created. Like being able to create a healing spring at their house or a dungeon at McDonalds or something and have that visible to other players or something.

Yeah, I'd love to have things like this, whatever the setting or whatnot. Secret agents could leave "signals" or something around the land. Virtual world overlay people (I need a better name for that game approach) could keep virtual pets (heck, breed virtual animals), erect virtual buildings, et cetera.

Sarcasmorator
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't know if I could carve much time out for writing, but I'm an editor by trade and could almost certainly proof in-game text, which it sounds like there'd be plenty of. Spellings and grammars is important!

Warg
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Either paid or freemium, probably, if it actually goes somewhere. For now, it is a future decision ;) .
Certainly -- but in general, I question whether it's advisable to be discussing this kind of a revenue-generating project on a public forum, with this kind of collaboration & of this potential scope -- especially in the situation that someone claims you used their idea without compensating them & brings suit as a result.

Somewhat-related but separate question here, too, just to clarify -- you (or a company you form for this project) would hold rights to all or most assets created for this game, correct?

fugu13
01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Certainly -- but in general, I question whether it's advisable to be discussing this kind of a revenue-generating project on a public forum, with this kind of collaboration & of this potential scope -- especially in the situation that someone claims you used their idea without compensating them & brings suit as a result.

Right now, we're not discussing anything at a level that would support a copyright suit, and I'm completely unworried about patents. As for the long haul, there's nothing stopping something like that from happening no matter where ideas are discussed, and I refuse to live in fear of douchebags. This is a fun, interesting side project using maybe a few hours a week of time that probably will never be anything more than a game played by some friends and maybe a small community we manage to get interested, whatever the potential; a game forum is the perfect place to jawbone about it.

Somewhat-related but separate question here, too, just to clarify -- you (or a company you form for this project) would hold rights to all or most assets created for this game, correct?

If people wanted that? Until and unless there is a copyright transfer, all sufficiently specific copyrightable content for the project (computer code, artwork, writing, sufficiently detailed design documents, you get the idea) will of course, by law, be held by their respective creators. If we end up going somewhere, the holders of the content rights will need to either provide licenses (for people who don't care about revenue sharing, this is probably easiest) or there will need to be a rights transfer (if we do that, we should form an LLC -- don't worry, it's easy -- transfer all the rights to that, and have a governance document that covers revenue sharing and the like). But none of that really needs to be considered until we're much, much, much closer to actually releasing something; no need to count our legal squabbles before the chicken lays the eggs. If people want, we can keep a page on the wiki that records basic information about who contributes anything that will eventually need to have the licensing information resolved.

Red Hedgehog
01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Red Hedgehog: what sort of game are you interested in making? I'd be interested in hearing a bit, and this seems as good a thread as any.

First person roguelike with online leaderboards. Minimal emphasis on combat.

reibeatall
01-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Looks like I'll be there around 6:30, Mr. Fugu. If that's a problem, just text/call me, because I might not have access to this here forum.

fugu13
01-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Totally not a problem.

Red Hedgehog: porting/tweaking an existing roguelike, or do you have ideas that aren't implemented in existing ones?

fugu13
01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Okay, I've created a wiki (though without much on it) for holding documentation and other info: http://gamecreation.wikispaces.com/ (if you click Join this Wiki you can request access).

I've also created a kanban chart (http://www.kanbanpad.com/projects/a828bd877fb3e1fec6b2), though I doubt we'll be doing a huge amount with it until things firm up. For now, I've created stories about writing a one page play narrative for each of the ideas. Each one page play narrative will be a description of a segment of play a player might engage in. I have no idea if that's the best way to start, but I've seen similar approaches work well with other sorts of projects.

fugu13
01-18-2011, 10:35 PM
reibeatall and I met up this evening and hashed a bunch of stuff out, and we think you guys will like it. Here's the direction we're intending to go, basically:

Secret Agents. Not sure of the aesthetic totally, but we're leaning towards futuristic noir (think Bladerunner), because we like futuristic noir.

For how the game plays, think Secret Agent LARPing (in a good way!). People will go around to pre-chosen physical locations to accomplish missions, and they will interact with the locations by scanning QR codes with the app to initiate encounters (talking with NPC, acquiring item, you get the idea) that will be mediated by the server (so a single QR code can have a lot of behaviors, such as delays between uses of a certain type).

We'll need to roll it out in specific locations, of course; we're thinking Seattle to start with, for obvious reasons ;) . Instead of starting out with continuous play, we'd like to aim for a launch at PAX with an 'event' game for a limited number of people that involves locations in walking distance of the PAX site. Our current idea (completely subject to change) is that there's a scientist looking to defect, and there are two secret agent factions looking to bring him in. To do that, they need to prepare a safe house, pay him enough money, and arrange for bodyguards. When they get all that ready (by doing smaller 'missions' at various locations), they need to find the actual defector (played by one of the developers, moving between the locations, and there are clues as to who it is) and get him to the place they prepared as a safe house.

If that goes well, we can look into rolling it out as a more continuous-play thing, but we'd still have periodic events that would influence the course of the game (been reading the L5R thread?) -- and how the game starts would be influenced by the first event, too.

Do people like this direction? I think I'd pretty definitely like something like it to be the first attempt, for a few reasons: it is heavily location-based in a way I like. It has a strong idea and aesthetic, and is pretty different for a mobile game. It does not require very much augmented reality to feel really cool, unlike the virtual world overlay thing I was talking about. It should get people involved and give us a chance to try things out without being too formidable an undertaking.

What happens after will depend upon how that attempt goes.

I'll start updating the wiki with more details and such.

Red Hedgehog
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Sounds somewhat reminiscent of the Hidden Park app (http://www.thehiddenpark.com/) for the iPhone. It's a little more augmented-reality than what it sounds like you are trying to do, but the idea is similar: A real life park is filled with magical and fantastical creatures that need your help. Follow the map to the home of one of these creatures, where you may receive phone calls, hints, puzzles, riddles, that may require looking at the surrounding environment to continue. Take pictures of landmarks and you will see the creature(s) hiding in or by them.

Anyway, something to think about for the design of the game.

EDIT: Forgot to respond to your earlier post.

Red Hedgehog: porting/tweaking an existing roguelike, or do you have ideas that aren't implemented in existing ones?

In some ways, the game I'm thinking of would be a long overdue remake of the 1987 Mac game Scarab of Ra. A lot of things present in that game haven't been used much if any in subsequent games. Things like a first-person, procedurally generated, turn-based game where light sources and the speed you moved were important, the map could be imperfect, and combat was minimized. I think a significant update to its setup would be more types of loot and randomly generated artifacts as the game didn't have a lot of variety to things you could find in the dungeon.

gamin
01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
I am really interested in the concept, and I would love to do art for this game. At the moment I'm a little swamped between my day job and an upcoming gallery show but I will be watching the wiki and thinking about the style.

fugu13
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
gamin: that would be awesome! It'll be a while before we'll really be talking art in any detail (beyond maybe some concept sketching), since we've got a lot of ground to cover, but it'd be great to have you on board.

Red Hedgehog: yeah, the Hidden Park app is similar to the concept, especially to the 'virtual world overlay' possibility I had talked about a little (though I'd love to have the 'creatures' be a lot more mobile than they are in Hidden Park). In the long run, I think there'll be a lot of amazing games going that direction, as the sensors that make it possible to align the real and the virtual get better and better.

For the Secret Agent game, we'll be able to get great alignment by mostly relying on markers to anchor the augmented reality onto -- it makes it take longer to roll out to new places, and require more legwork, but I think that'll also give us chances to build relationships with the locations involved in game play, which might at some point lead to revenue (and should in the short term lead to free pizzas and such for special events).

Btw, your roguelike sounds fun and interesting, and brings to mind (due to the mentions of light) the Cabinet of Dr Caligari (which everyone should watch) -- an expressionist movie where light from lamps and such was literally painted onto the set.

Merus
01-21-2011, 09:11 AM
As someone who generally gets gypped by promises of 'we'll roll it out into your area soon!' and in fact lives in a country where these sorts of games frankly aren't practical, I'd hope that the QR codes are an augmentation and not a core part of the gameplay.

Kirin
01-21-2011, 10:32 AM
A possibility for letting people in other locales play could be making the QR codes available for printing, so people could set up their own splinter games. Though you'd still have to have some critical mass of people, so one person could "DM" by distributing the codes locally and others could play using them.

fugu13
01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah; I don't know if we'd make them available for general printing (there's more than just having a bunch and distributing them), but we would have some mechanism for people to sign up to work with us to bring the game to their city. Almost like franchising, only not quite the same.

Now, it wouldn't be everywhere. There'll need to be a certain minimum density of people and places to support such a game, but it'll probably be possible to integrate it into most cities of any size (small towns, maybe not).

The QR codes will unfortunately be pretty necessary; without them or a mechanism like them, it isn't really feasible to control the loci of interactions enough to make the game work. As reibeatall put it when we were talking, the game is really out there in the world -- the smart phones will just be controllers and windows onto that world.

fugu13
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey reibeatall, want to meet up again this week? I'm working on my one-pager, and it should be done soon. I'll post it on the wiki and here when I am.

A few highlighted ideas that I came up with while working on the one pager:

I'm thinking of the bodyguard/hired gun game being maybe one that requires people to go quickly to various locations to meet the incoming muscle. If an opponent happens upon the meeting place after the guy arrives, but before the player who "manages" the asset gets there to meet with him, depending on the attitude of the asset, the opponent either scares off the asset or has a chance to outbid for his/her services.

I think the "safehouse establishment" missions might be a series of spaced out minigames (for instance, one where players place surveillance cameras around the area) that take a certain amount of time and go faster with more players (and don't progress at all with fewer than a certain number, perhaps). Then the players need to balance progressing on those missions with bringing in more protective muscle.

I still don't know what the money acquisition missions should be like. I'm bouncing around ideas, but nothing's appealing. I think the best solution might be to invent a new financial system for our futuristic world, one that conveniently creates interesting obstacles to amassing large amounts of hard, untraceable currency.

Luana
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I'd be willing to contribute to editing and UI. It sounds like you've got many offers of help in the writing department, and while I'm a good writer, I'm a damn good editor. While I don't have any examples on hand to show off, I can craft a pretty mean UI as well. If there's anything that'll turn me off on a game, it's a lackluster UI.

Torzelbaum
02-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Well, this is interesting. Recently, I've been thinking about trying to make a smartphone game but I was looking to do it as more than a hobby.

Since I know Java I'm looking at targeting Android (and maybe Blackberry). The design I currently have in mind is for a puzzle game.