PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Art Challenge Suggestion Thread

Traumadore
01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Hey, I just wanted to see if people were interested in themed art challenges. Please vote above only if you could conceivably participate. Also feel free to write here if you have some ideas in particular about what you'd like to see from something like this.

For example we could have a Monster of the Week, Character of the Week, or something very specific like that if you think it would be more interesting. I got the feeling that having the themes be 100% open ended was overwhelming for many people.

I also think it's possible to have flexible deadlines if that's what scares people off. If you think deadlines motivate you then don't vote for that option, however if deadlines demotivate you, then please let us know.

You can vote for multiple options.

P.S. I think it is perfectly acceptable to do this as long as everyone feels like it, and if it peters out it's no biggie. Better to have done something than nothing.

Kate or Die!
01-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I didn't participate in the last one but I'm interested in this, particularly having themed challenges. I like the weekly timeframe too, we had weekly sketchbook assignments in art college.

Balrog
01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd like to do this. I've been meaning to draw more often.

DarkBlueFlannel
01-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Sounds great! I enjoyed the previous iteration, even if I wasn't able to draw for it every week. Giving more time for each subject would be helpful, for me. I'd prefer bi-weekly because I'm terribly slow.

Oscar
01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Definitley. I know I kind of trailed off at the end of the last one, but I really enjoyed it and would love to do it again. I say yes!

Guy
01-16-2011, 04:13 PM
You have my sword.

Chu
01-16-2011, 04:15 PM
And my axe.

Epithet
01-16-2011, 08:48 PM
And my...bow, right?

Wolfgang
01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
And my pencil, and maybe WACOM.

tungwene
01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
I'll bring my sparkly wand tool

gahitsu
01-17-2011, 12:32 AM
You have my WACOM, and my penci- GODDAMNIT, Shawn. :(

Wolfgang
01-17-2011, 02:16 AM
You have my WACOM, and my penci- GODDAMNIT, Shawn. :(

Well, I said maybe. You're still good.

So, it's Monday - what better time to start one up? Throw out a subject. How about bears? Everyone likes bears.

Loki
01-17-2011, 06:38 AM
I'd draw the shit out of a bear, if given the opertunity.

Traumadore
01-17-2011, 01:52 PM
I'd draw the shit out of a bear, if given the opertunity.

Uh, okay then, let's make a thread.

We'll see how things go the first time to judge our time period. I would ideally like to do a weekly one, since then people won't forget which weeks new themes come along.

I am thinking of making a new thread for each theme, so it's easy to add yours even if you take extra time to do it and people will see it.

Falselogic
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
you guys will just make fun of me. So, probably not. Also I lack all those fancy computer tools you kids use to draw these days.

bobbywatson
01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
you guys will just make fun of me. So, probably not. Also I lack all those fancy computer tools you kids use to draw these days.

I don't use the fancy tools. Just paper and pen. I'm not starting to learn inking or colouring until I'm satisfied with my penciling skills. Which will likely never happen.

nunix
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Did you see the stuff I did for the last one? No one cares, you're fine. ;D Or at least you won't be publicly mocked; maybe everyone is doing so secretly. =(

Traumadore
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM

I also don't use computers to draw generally, though I'm starting to get back into it. It's perfectly legitimate to use natural media.

gahitsu
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM

I prefer traditional materials myself - but I'm doing mostly digital now, because I want to improve. :)

Chu
01-19-2011, 01:07 AM
There's no point in fighting over digital vs. traditional tools. Use whatever you like! Whoever criticizes you for your choice is a dummy.

Wolfgang
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
There's no point in fighting over digital vs. traditional tools. Use whatever you like! Whoever criticizes you for your choice is a dummy.

Well when was the last time you fashioned a clay bust, hmmmm?

gahitsu
01-19-2011, 01:41 AM

No one was fighting, just commenting.

Chu
01-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Well when was the last time you fashioned a clay bust, hmmmm?
I'll bust your clay if you know what I mean!
I don't know either

No one was fighting, just commenting.
Yeah, I know. I was reassuring nunix.

Traumadore
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
So if anyone has subjects they want to cover for future installments of Weekly Art Challenge, you should write them here! They won't appear in chronological order or anything, but someday it will happen.

Also how do I change the thread title to like "Weekly Art Challenge Suggestion Thread" or something.

Kate or Die!
01-23-2011, 02:50 PM
If you go to edit the post there should able to edit the title as well, it's right above the post box

Pajaro Pete
01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Moe Antichrist.
Make it happen.
反キリスト萌え~
伝説の可愛いニコライ・カルパチアーたん~

Warg
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Regarding the suggestions in the other thread -- I'd actually suggest spacing out specifically animal-related themes, just so we don't tire them out. In the meantime, perhaps folks could incorporate them into more-general themes if they wanted.

Anyway, this might be an occupied week for me, and I'm still working on this current bear drawing -- but still, just to get the suggestion out there, BREAKFAST could be potentially fun.

nunix
01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Also how do I change the thread title to like "Weekly Art Challenge Suggestion Thread" or something.

I'm not sure you can at this point (you can usually change it soon after you post it, but there's a time limit). Bug Matchstick or SilentSnake to change it for you.

Lady
01-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I think the title of Radiohead's most recent studio album would be a good kinda vague theme.

~i~n~ ~r~a~i~n~b~o~w~s~

Karzac
01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Would anybody be interested in doing something similar to this, but for short-short stories? (yes, that is a real, actual literary term. I have a textbook to prove it.)

Violentvixen
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Can I suggest some kind of machinery for next week? I honestly don't know if I've ever tried to draw anything mechanical and think it would be an interesting exercise.

Kate or Die!
01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Would anybody be interested in doing something similar to this, but for short-short stories? (yes, that is a real, actual literary term. I have a textbook to prove it.)

Mmm, I think writing and poetry should be included in these weekly art exercises.

Wolfgang
01-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Why come there is no new art challenge? Do I have to make it? Have it be MACHINES like somebody else said. Draw a machine. Draw a toaster. Draw a taoster. Draw a motorbloke. Draw a combine harvester monster. Draw the most mysterious machine of all, the human body. No, that's not a machine.

Traumadore
01-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Why come there is no new art challenge? Do I have to make it? Have it be MACHINES like somebody else said. Draw a machine. Draw a toaster. Draw a taoster. Draw a motorbloke. Draw a combine harvester monster. Draw the most mysterious machine of all, the human body. No, that's not a machine.

Hey now, I have super busy mondays from beginning to end usually, and yesterday was even worse. I'll be making that thread now. I will be spacing out the animal themes, and I'm knee deep in machines already so let's go with that.

Traumadore
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey now, I have super busy mondays from beginning to end usually, and yesterday was even worse. I'll be making that thread now. I will be spacing out the animal themes, and I'm knee deep in machines already so let's go with that.

I'm thinking of starting new threads on Fridays since Mondays are terribly busy for me. What say you?

Oscar
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM

I would! I'd like to try and do more creative writing.

Prinnydood
01-31-2011, 04:32 PM

I think I could do this. Most of my story ideas aren't really conducive to the length of an entire novel. Plus, I need to increase my WPM so spur-of the moment writing could be good for me.

Brickroad
01-31-2011, 07:58 PM

I'd take a kee-rack at it, but I don't know that I could do it as a weekly thing.

Karzac
01-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Yay for people who want to write! However, since I don't feel like actually organizing anything, I think it's probably best if us talentless hacks writers just participate in these challenges. For my first terrible attempt, see this week's thread!

bobbywatson
02-01-2011, 05:25 AM
I'm thinking of starting new threads on Fridays since Mondays are terribly busy for me. What say you?

I agree with that suggestion. Plus, since it's really close to the weekend, this should motivate me in actually drawing something.

Traumadore
02-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I agree with that suggestion. Plus, since it's really close to the weekend, this should motivate me in actually drawing something.

Yeah, i'm going to go with that. Friday feels better because it might get more activity right away over the weekend, whereas starting monday we don't see too much until the weekend rolls around anyway.

Traumadore
02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
I'll be posting a new thread tomorrow, let me know if you have any suggestions. Probably something with a face, since everyone here just draws characters or whatever.

bobbywatson
02-10-2011, 09:45 AM
How about "Visions from the future"?

Traumadore
02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
How about "Visions from the future"?

As long as it's not anything like that sci-fi anthology "Dangerous Visions" that Shadax gave me for festivus a couple years ago. Or else we're in for a lot of incest and serial killers. Ha!

bobbywatson
02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
As long as it's not anything like that sci-fi anthology "Dangerous Visions" that Shadax gave me for festivus a couple years ago. Or else we're in for a lot of incest and serial killers. Ha!

How about "Visions from a future where incest and serial killers don't exist"?

Traumadore
02-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Alright, new thread. I'm hoping some people return now that the thread is punctual and not about inanimate junk. Otherwise you all killed this thing with disinterest even faster than the last two times. Have fun folks! Also taking suggestions for subsequent threads.

bobbywatson
02-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Alright, new thread. I'm hoping some people return now that the thread is punctual and not about inanimate junk. Otherwise you all killed this thing with disinterest even faster than the last two times. Have fun folks! Also taking suggestions for subsequent threads.

Suggesting for this Friday's theme: Urban scenery.

Traumadore
02-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I'll do something else this week, since you suggested last week's too. It looks like my current list of recommendations is a bit thin, so if anyone else thinks of anything let me know. Seriously, any little whim you have!

Right now the list looks like:

Ducks
Mooses
Urban Scenery

I'm not doing Moe Antichrist, let's just say because Turnip isn't actually participating. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Also for those writing short short stories, Deptford wrote a crazy-cool one this past week if you need some motivation.

Rivers
03-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Any interest in reviving the art challenge? I'd suggest making it twice a month instead of weekly, since that might be a tight deadline for busy folks. I'd be glad to post some theme ideas too.

Guild
03-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Any interest in reviving the art challenge? I'd suggest making it twice a month instead of weekly, since that might be a tight deadline for busy folks. I'd be glad to post some theme ideas too.

rivers you are the berst

I propose a Best Typography contest. The entries should be sent to a judge who will post a judging thread where the entries are anonymized. Entries should be a word between 3 and 9 characters long, in any medium.

Rivers
03-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Oh, uh, I don't know... I was thinking these were drawing challenges. And it's just for fun and practice, not an actual competition.

Mostly I'm just sad I missed out on the bear challenge (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=11213). Maybe we can do one for birds?

Guild
03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
tyopgraphy is drawing!!

fine fine i would also like to draw a bird, but i'd be using pencil and illustrator

TK Flash
03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
I nominate: Male nude figures

Trar
03-05-2015, 09:06 PM
I nominate: Male nude figures

Guild
03-05-2015, 09:14 PM
can we compromise and draw big bird with a huge boner

because i already drew that like twice i think already

Warg
03-05-2015, 09:19 PM
I am ALL UP for reviving the challenge, and I am all up for drawing a bird. Even if it'll be a simplistic bird.

PS: you can still draw a bear, & post it to that thread

Rivers
03-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Post theme suggestions and we'll compile a list here. Would everyone prefer two-week challenges? Or we could do monthly themes, with artists encouraged to post multiple pieces. Let me know what you all want to do.

Traumadore, if you'd like to continue these challenge threads, please do. Otherwise I'll start a new thread next week.

BŁge
03-06-2015, 07:01 AM
I am all up for drawing a bird. Even if it'll be a simplistic bird.

As am I.

Excitemike
03-06-2015, 08:33 AM
I will commit to this and then promptly forget.

madhair60
03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm in and it'll be MS PAINT

BŁge
03-06-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm in and it'll be MS PAINT

Mouse only.

madhair60
03-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Mouse only.
There is no other way for me

Kate or Die!
03-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Okay, so by next Sunday (3/15), post a bird art (or poem or anything). DO IT!

Or should we make a thread for that?

Traumadore
03-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Oh geez, I just noticed this thread got resurrected. Alright, I'll join in and post something in the bird thread.

Yeah, that bear challenge was absolutely the high water mark in terms of participation and there was a lot of really good drawings! Unfortunately participation dwindled pretty rapidly within just 3 or 4 weeks. So everyone should make a manly or womanly pledge to themselves to draw every week (though this is bi-weekly?).

It would be good for me too, I've really stopped making things since I got a full time job making things. Mixed blessings.

Rivers
10-19-2015, 11:49 PM
Could someone please post a suggestion for a new challenge? I'm going art-crazy with my own projects and need to step away and do something unrelated for a bit.

Zenny
10-20-2015, 07:23 PM
It's fall, so why not fall leaves? I could contribute some black and white line drawings for others to color. After all, adult coloring books seem to be all the rage these days!

Lady
10-20-2015, 10:13 PM
omg, drawing leaves is so fun; I might be in, too