PDA

View Full Version : A story about a superhero

Dart Zaidyer
02-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Normally, I don't really share a project before it's ready, but I'd like some input on this.
My quest for decent superheroine webcomics hasn't turned up much I'd care to read, lately. Which brings me to a superhero story I wrote last year, but haven't gotten around to drawing yet.

The central theme of this hero is that he's an inexperienced college student, and his powers are dangerous and highly destructive. The light-hearted setting is tempered by him accidentally brutalizing his wacky villains (in ways which are NOT played for laughs), and causing massive property damage (even harming his allies) when he gets into a naughty relationship with another super.
The moral of the story is one of self-control and discipline.

I feel like it's a fine enough story when the character is a male hero, but I wonder if it would still work if I were to change it to a girl hero. Does the story get better, or does it suddenly become crass, inappropriate, or terrible? Would it be any more interesting than if it were a man?

What would you rather read?

R.R. Bigman
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Comics could always use more positive leading ladies.

What kind of powers does the hero have? I like the idea of a superhero whose powers are so dangerous they feel afraid to use them at all.

(even harming his allies) when he gets into a naughty relationship with another super.
Does this mean what I think it means?

Dart Zaidyer
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
This sample page should get you up to speed. (http://www.nightofthemeteor.com/gallery/hydroshock-samplepage1-1m.png) If the hero were a girl, she'd be wearing pretty much the same outfit.

Not shown here is the power to control any water in the nearby environment. Which isn't quite as bad as electrocuting people, until you realize that most water in a city happens to be in pipes...

As for the relationship issue, it's a little tough for me to explain, but the idea is that any sort of intimate action triggers an electrical arc. A simple kiss will shock the recipient's face numb. Get too intimate and then every electrical device in the vicinity will explode, people start getting electrocuted in the streets, and supervillains take notice.

nunix
02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Not shown here is the power to control any water in the nearby environment. Which isn't quite as bad as electrocuting people, until you realize that most water in a city happens to be in pipes...

..and skin.. organs.. blood...

Kirin
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
My only fear is I wouldn't want to risk it being misread as the old "women who really want sex are bad" trope. Should be avoidable with good plotting and characterization, though.