PDA

View Full Version : bobbywatson's Recycle Bin

bobbywatson
03-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Hopefully I'm also allowed to have my own thread so that I can display all the crap I draw before shredding it and sending it to the recycle bin. If not, let me know and I'll remove my thread.

Here's the latest!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5524221717_5a9f6422bf.jpg

Problems that I see with this image: too much space between the eyes, which made the face much wider than it should have been.

Traumadore
03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Problems that I see with this image: too much space between the eyes, which made the face much wider than it should have been.

Yeah, you definitely noticed the major issue. I think the best way to prevent something like that is drawing from general shapes to specific features. I don't mean doing the "wooden doll" thing where you draw orbs and cylinders before filling in details. You just need to block off the space where the subject is going to be on the page, just take a few seconds.

Maybe you did, but I'm going off the fact that you didn't continue the head to the top of the page, not even with the barest line. Once you have that framework you'll find it a lot easier to anchor everything else properly within it. Also you should continue this preliminary sketch all the way to the edge of your composition, even if you don't develop every part equally.

Your line is getting way more confident, I like that you're pulling out bolder pencils. Another huge plus is that you're not taking visual shortcuts, for example you're trying to draw the nose you see instead of drawing a symbol of a nose. Keep it up and it will pay off big time even when you don't have a visual reference.

bobbywatson
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
The photo that I used as a reference did not have the top of the head. I stopped pretty much at the same place as the original photo did. I might go back and improvise something anyway.

bobbywatson
03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
It's been a while since I've worked with perspective..

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5533772192_656edb0bd8.jpg

I should probably finish inking this one.

Traumadore
03-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Looking good, that stuff takes heck of patience (I don't have it!). It looks great except for the stool, which is in it's own world. But it's a lot less perspective friendly than the rest, I tend to use my intuition on complex/organic objects in perspective rather than follow the lines. Did you do the whole vanishing point thing or did you just wing it?

Odin
03-17-2011, 06:31 AM
I really like the lines and inking on the second one. Like Traumadore said, the stool needs work, but the rest of it is solid.

bobbywatson
03-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I did use a vanishing point, but did not use a ruler. I agree: the stool looks weird. Oh well, the next version will be better.

Sovan Jedi
03-17-2011, 10:04 AM
The stool would be difficult to do properly in perspective as its sides aren't at a right angle with the floor anyway, so don't feel bad about it. It's a good start of the drawing!

bobbywatson
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
The stool would be difficult to do properly in perspective as its sides aren't at a right angle with the floor anyway, so don't feel bad about it. It's a good start of the drawing!

The legs on the back are correct, but the wood connecting the legs is not aligned with the rest. I see it now. Damn, I'll have to restart...

bobbywatson
04-05-2011, 07:41 PM
From two days ago:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5028/5593471109_005431d399.jpg

For the record, it took about 1.5 hour to do. I am quite happy with it. (The picture is done on perfectly white paper. It just looks weird because of the flash or something.)

bobbywatson
04-23-2011, 03:12 PM
New from today:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5187/5646979369_aa6e4c0649_b.jpg

I am somewhat happy with how this one turned out. Not exactly like the original picture, but reasonably close. (Some people on this forum not being of age, I pixelated the boobs in GIMP.)

Lady
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
link to original kthx 8D

bobbywatson
04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
link to original kthx 8D

Can't, it's from a book.

Lady
04-23-2011, 09:46 PM
with the titties, I meant

Traumadore
04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
That just looks hilarious. I'm going to go out on a limb and say nobody is going to be titilated by your figure study. And I'm not going to critique it until I can see the whole thing, so there.

If it makes you more comfortable I'll post a nude first, ha.

bobbywatson
04-26-2011, 06:13 AM
That just looks hilarious. I'm going to go out on a limb and say nobody is going to be titilated by your figure study. And I'm not going to critique it until I can see the whole thing, so there.

If it makes you more comfortable I'll post a nude first, ha.

Damn peer pressure...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/5657517950_6b14fa24ef_b.jpg

Traumadore
04-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Damn peer pressure...

It's good peer pressure!

Anyway! You're still showing really strong sensitivity to contours with your shading and hatching. This is also the most finished drawing you've posted so far, which is great. Are you getting faster at this?

I can't tell if the face is just unfinished, or if the figure is looking away. I don't think every detail of every drawing needs to be finished to the same degree, but some kind of clue to keep it from flipping between two possibilities would be nice. It's kind of the "two faces or one vase" effect.

I think you should aim for less of a cartooned look on your finished image. This can be as simple as selectively softening the outline with your eraser when you're getting close to finishing. You can also avoid re-stating those exterior lines beyond your first, lightest pass. You can strengthen the edges of your form by increasing the contrast of your shadows rather than the boldness of the exterior line.

Oh, the feet and left hand look great, which is the most-neglected area in figure drawing. Don't be afraid of faces either, all it takes is a couple marks to suggest the features. You don't have to make it photographic. The best thing about natural media is the ability to fake details with incidental texture and accidental marks, don't be afraid to let that happen.

bobbywatson
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM
It's good peer pressure!

Anyway! You're still showing really strong sensitivity to contours with your shading and hatching. This is also the most finished drawing you've posted so far, which is great. Are you getting faster at this?

I am getting somewhat faster at this. And hopefully better too.

I can't tell if the face is just unfinished, or if the figure is looking away. I don't think every detail of every drawing needs to be finished to the same degree, but some kind of clue to keep it from flipping between two possibilities would be nice. It's kind of the "two faces or one vase" effect.

Figure was looking away. What you see in my drawing is what was in the original picture.

I think you should aim for less of a cartooned look on your finished image. This can be as simple as selectively softening the outline with your eraser when you're getting close to finishing. You can also avoid re-stating those exterior lines beyond your first, lightest pass. You can strengthen the edges of your form by increasing the contrast of your shadows rather than the boldness of the exterior line.

Remnants of my (not so) secret desire of being a graphic novel artist someday. (Hey, stranger things have happened!)

Traumadore
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Figure was looking away. What you see in my drawing is what was in the original picture.

Alright, just wanted to make sure though I knew it was a possibility. I feel like there must be some kind of indication of a cheek, or the beginning of an ear, but I totally believe you if you say otherwise. I've personally had many, MANY models that are so amorphous that it's almost impossible to apply or develop any of my knowledge of anatomy using them. Like there was this guy whose back was a flat, featureless wall of flesh with the barest indication of a crack at the bottom when he was sitting. Almost no indication of his spine, shoulder blades were invisible. Later in the week at critique we all had a good laugh because half the class got stuck trying to make an interesting drawing out of that blank space.

Re: cartooning. I think it might be good to separate drawing practice from comic art practice. Cartooning is a way to use your materials more than anything else, and I think a comic artist can be much more economical with line when they are trained to see without them.

bobbywatson
05-04-2011, 07:19 PM
New stuff from yesterday:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5185/5688403803_b43abd3d15.jpg

I was happy with this one yesterday, but I'm looking at it today and I don't like it as much.

The same will quite possibly be true for this one, which I finished just a few minutes ago:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5688974498_5d22618716.jpg

More cartoony, of course, but I'm starting to develop some characters for a comic book I have in mind, and this guy will probably be the main character. It looks kinda generic, but I think it will improve over time. (And yes, he will be shirtless most of the time. The other main character, a round Black woman in her 40's, will show plenty of flesh as well, but I haven't gotten around to drawing her yet. I intend to use the same model as the one above in this thread.)

One thing I can say: even though I have not practiced as much as I should have, hands are a lot easier to draw for me these days, and they look a lot better too. I did not use models for these drawings and I feel that the hands, especially on the second drawing, are actually pretty good. So are the proportions. (But feel free to prove me wrong.)

I intend to focus more on mouths (and teeth), pelvises, legs and feet in the near future.

Also: I am almost done reorganizing the basement, which means my drawing table is very accessible, has decent lighting, and has a hi-fi stereo next to it with an iPod dock. I expect to spend a lot more time in the coming weeks sitting in front of it with my sketchbook and pencils.

In other words: I am not done spamming this board with my bad art.

bobbywatson
05-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Been drawing a lot more lately for some reason, though I have not posted any new image in a while. Well, here goes.

Made in artclass yesterday. The theme was "still-life", which I of course completely ignored.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/5729664123_9da951c80f.jpg

This one is not completely finished (I want to add more plants and trees in the windows). I don't hate it.

And another one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/5729664055_d92ac4443b.jpg

I like the right hand, but the legs look wrong, and the shoes are not great either.

Traumadore
05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
I meant to respond to this!

The office has some great perspective, excepting the lamp on the ceiling. I think you're relying too much on geometry when you're drawing perspective. Sometimes, expecially with organic/curved objects, you just have to go with what feels right to your eyes.

Also, I'm curious about why you're using a red pencil. Before you were using a blue one which I thought was just a nod to comic artists who used to use non-photo blue since you were interested in comics. If the colors aren't for a specific purpose they're actually hurting your drawings. You can't get a full range of values with the colored pencils, no matter how hard you push or how many times you restate your lines you're just going to end up with the equivalent of a middle grey. You're only using half the value scale which is just making things harder on yourself.

Also in art class, I think you should follow the lesson. You might be thinking it's uninteresting because it's not what you wanted to draw, but it is going to wrap around and help anything else you try to do. Plus your instructor is more able to give you feedback. They have no frame of reference for what you're doing, so they can't say much more than I have. Plus you ignored an opportunity to practice observational drawing. Everyone needs to practice this more, so I say go along with it next time.

bobbywatson
05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I meant to respond to this!

The office has some great perspective, excepting the lamp on the ceiling. I think you're relying too much on geometry when you're drawing perspective. Sometimes, expecially with organic/curved objects, you just have to go with what feels right to your eyes.

I knew it was wrong. I tried to get it 2 or 3 times, but in the end said "Screw it. Better luck next time."

Also, I'm curious about why you're using a red pencil. Before you were using a blue one which I thought was just a nod to comic artists who used to use non-photo blue since you were interested in comics. If the colors aren't for a specific purpose they're actually hurting your drawings. You can't get a full range of values with the colored pencils, no matter how hard you push or how many times you restate your lines you're just going to end up with the equivalent of a middle grey. You're only using half the value scale which is just making things harder on yourself.

I'm actually starting to like colored pencils better than regular pencils. Something to do with the way they move on paper on something. They just feel better. I used red because I ran out of blue pencils and the store where I buy my art supplies was out of blue erasable colored pencils. I don't like it as much as blue, which is why I asked a friend of mine from out of town who was visiting to bring me a few.

Also in art class, I think you should follow the lesson. You might be thinking it's uninteresting because it's not what you wanted to draw, but it is going to wrap around and help anything else you try to do. Plus your instructor is more able to give you feedback. They have no frame of reference for what you're doing, so they can't say much more than I have. Plus you ignored an opportunity to practice observational drawing. Everyone needs to practice this more, so I say go along with it next time.

I've been with the same teacher for more than a year now. She is starting to know me pretty well. Plus I get a private two-hour session every two weeks (assuming I'm not traveling for business). Not an excuse for not following the instructions, of course. This was actually the second still-life lesson. My ginger root from the previous week is actually not bad at all. My pineapple was not as good, but not terrible either.

Traumadore
05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm actually starting to like colored pencils better than regular pencils. Something to do with the way they move on paper on something. They just feel better.

Then start trying other papers and pencils. I know colored pencils have that smooth waxy feel, but you need something black. Try a black colored pencil maybe? Using a full range of values is really important. You're just going to have to get out of your comfort zone for this one.

bobbywatson
05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Then start trying other papers and pencils. I know colored pencils have that smooth waxy feel, but you need something black. Try a black colored pencil maybe? Using a full range of values is really important. You're just going to have to get out of your comfort zone for this one.

I will put "Find a black pencil" on my to-do list.

bobbywatson
02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
It's been a while since I've posted anything, so here goes:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6886512901_fa07f672b1_b.jpg

And some hand studies:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6886512695_01c3890f62_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6886512579_2478b1b2c2_b.jpg

Dizzy
02-16-2012, 08:10 AM
So glad I clicked this thread and instantly had a drawing of naked woman pop up on my screen.

bobbywatson
02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
So glad I clicked this thread and instantly had a drawing of naked woman pop up on my screen.

There's another one if you scroll up too.

Kirin
02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
And on top of that people complained at bobby when he obscured the boobs at first. He can't win.

Really, it's an art sub-forum, tasteful nudes are to be expected. Work-browse at your own risk.

gahitsu
02-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Really, it's an art sub-forum, tasteful nudes are to be expected. Work-browse at your own risk.

Yar.

Bobby, I really like your progress; it's very clear you're learning from your previous drawings and applying that towards your newer ones. It's also really nice to see such confident strokes; they're getting bolder and more fluid as the thread progresses.

Do you frequently flip or mirror your images? Did you ever get your hands on some swanky full-ranged pencils? I seem to remember owning a Ticonderoga set that felt just as - hmm, what's a good word for it? maybe "creamy" - as soft and creamy and blendable as their colored pencils.

bobbywatson
02-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Yar.

Bobby, I really like your progress; it's very clear you're learning from your previous drawings and applying that towards your newer ones. It's also really nice to see such confident strokes; they're getting bolder and more fluid as the thread progresses.

Do you frequently flip or mirror your images? Did you ever get your hands on some swanky full-ranged pencils? I seem to remember owning a Ticonderoga set that felt just as - hmm, what's a good word for it? maybe "creamy" - as soft and creamy and blendable as their colored pencils.

Thanks for the kind word! I do feel like my lines are more confident than they were a few months ago.

I'm switching between blue pencils, regular pencils and drawing pens. I'm liking the pens more and more. They're not great for shading (though I like hatching, so I'm OK with that), but I like the fact that they're very precise.

Traumadore
02-17-2012, 11:20 AM
The hand studies look great, and I'm glad to see you didn't use the blue or red pencils for now. I also appreciate drawing with pens mainly because they force you to just trust in what you're about to do, and end up using gesture and restating lines because you can't rely on erasing.

The hatching on the hand studies is good too since you knew when to stop, but it also is enough to compete with your heavy outline. On the full figure there's just not enough value, and it looks more artificially placed. It doesn't really compete with the heavy cartooning going on, so it looks way more flat than the hand studies. You should also always try to do the hands on the figure, having missing hands, facial features or feet is kind of a classic symptom of non-confidence in drawing. Even her kind of nonspecific gestural right hand above her head is quite good and preferable to nothing.

Reminds me, there was this one young devout christian who would leave the genitals in his figure drawings blank, or would even go so far as defacing or removing a section of paper where they would be. It always oscillated between being funny and sad to me. No relation to your drawings, just an odd anecdote.

bobbywatson
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I feel that I am at least improving somewhat.

New from today:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6796461246_e73c3dab04_b.jpg

Aside from the ball, nothing really strikes me as "wrong" in this one. I have to say I'm quite happy with it!

Lady
02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I know I love it!

what would happen if the hatching were more uniform though?

bobbywatson
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I've been spending a bit of time drawing lately, but nothing really stood out, therefore nothing has been posted here.

I did some stuff yesterday that was at least worth sharing.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/7132500099_5cab3f8ea5.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8019/7132500103_c55312ae55.jpg

bobbywatson
09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
As I have explained elsewhere on TT, I'm currently working on what I consider a major drawing project. Basically, I want to make two pieces of art that will get printed on a canvas and hanged on a wall in my house. I will add some more stuff later, but here are quick and rough sketches of what these two pieces should look like:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/8023485857_5d4eb5a500_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8455/8023485006_cf6cb02557_z.jpg

Not sure how to make them appear side by side on the forum, but they will once I hang them on my wall. Work on #2 is already started, #1 will come later.

Characters will be drawn by hand, scanned at high resolution, and incorporated in the picture in GIMP, which is where all the colouring will occur.

Background architecture for picture #2 has been designed in Sketchup, but will be traced to look non-computery (I still need to apply the textures on the model). Both female characters are already done. Next step is to assemble everything in Gimp and determine colours (at low resolution because my computer does not have enough RAM yet to work at high resolution efficiently).

I will post some more stuff later (maybe today, more likely tomorrow).

Traumadore
09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Are you doing some observational studies for the figures? It would probably be worth it considering the investment of energy you're putting into the rest of it. There are probably some drawing co-ops in your area with nude models for a really reasonable fee.

Also the woman in the front is doing the stereotypical contorted-posture-that-shows-off-breasts-and-butt-simultaneously that is currently the subject of a lot of satire in the comics arena. And rightly so. Consider working on a more natural pose like the other three figures have.

I'm excited to see how this project goes, I've never done a digital piece of this scale so it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

alpha jammer
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Very cool project idea. What dimensions will the canvas be?

bobbywatson
09-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Also the woman in the front is doing the stereotypical contorted-posture-that-shows-off-breasts-and-butt-simultaneously that is currently the subject of a lot of satire in the comics arena. And rightly so. Consider working on a more natural pose like the other three figures have.

That's a very good point. I had no idea such a thing was going on, but now that you mention it, I can see why... Thanks for pointing it out!

I don't think there is any place in town where I could sit down and draw a model. They might have some stuff at the university here, but I would probably have to register and pay tuition or whatever. The only place where something like this would logically happen does not offer that opportunity, so I will have to stick with picture reference for now. And I don't think any of my lady friends would volunteer for that. Nor any of my male friends, for that matter.

Edit: OK, I know what I'm going to do with the female pose. Stay tuned. Will probably work on it tonight.

Very cool project idea. What dimensions will the canvas be?

I was originally going for 12 x 36", but I've revised it to 18 x 48" for each of the panels.

Traumadore
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Maybe someone who works at the local art supply store (DeSerres?) knows about some resources for figure drawing. I didn't realize you lived in such a small city, but I have to believe there's something.

You can also ask friends to pose while clothed. As long as it's somewhat form-fitting clothing, like athletic wear, you'll still get a really true pose. And that's what you need most. Plus you can take studies for the faces and heads at the various angles you need. If they're impatient you can just take a picture, and you'll still have just the right pose to reference.

bobbywatson
09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Maybe someone who works at the local art supply store (DeSerres?) knows about some resources for figure drawing. I didn't realize you lived in such a small city, but I have to believe there's something.

Already have. Nothing. I guess that's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere.

You can also ask friends to pose while clothed. As long as it's somewhat form-fitting clothing, like athletic wear, you'll still get a really true pose. And that's what you need most. Plus you can take studies for the faces and heads at the various angles you need. If they're impatient you can just take a picture, and you'll still have just the right pose to reference.

I could possibly get a lady friend to do it. It does not hurt to ask...

bobbywatson
09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm excited to see how this project goes, I've never done a digital piece of this scale so it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

If you ever do, make sure your computer has a ton of memory. 4GB does not cut it (at least not with Gimp, not sure with Photoshop). I ordered 16GB yesterday, I should get it in the next few weeks. I will work on smaller stuff until then.

I also considered getting an SSD, but it's just not practical to install that inside of a Mac mini, so I changed my mind.

bobbywatson
09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Warning: the rest of this post is NSFW!

Updated sketch for picture #2:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8453/8024876392_95ba30b249_z.jpg

Second attempt at drawing the new "woman #1":

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/8024888682_e8df615ee1_z.jpg

The general shape is not terrible, but I think the shoulders are slightly too wide and I'm not too happy about the pelvic area (although I does not really matter, because it will be all shadow once I'm done with it).

Second attempt at drawing "woman #2":

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8452/8024907987_1cea92ef53_z.jpg

The problem I see is that the right leg feels somewhat disconnected. I think it it was just slightly wider it would be a significant improvement. I'm not sure yet if I will draw her again or just fix it in the final composition. We'll see.

Well, that's it for now. Constructive comments are welcome!

Traumadore
09-26-2012, 11:38 AM
First sketch: I think the shoulders are fine, but butts tend to spread out when someone is sitting on a hard surface, which is probably why you feel it looks wrong. The face is also a little distorted, and a couple more attempts or studies might be in order. Those are the only two issues I see.

Second: Yeah the left leg looks like it's from a much smaller person. Maybe try sketching the figure without the drapery very lightly, and then drawing the drapery over top.

bobbywatson
09-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Second: Yeah the left leg looks like it's from a much smaller person. Maybe try sketching the figure without the drapery very lightly, and then drawing the drapery over top.

The drapery will probably end up on a separate layer, so I might as well omit it entirely (at least the part on the leg).

Thanks for the feedback! I should be able to do another sketch or two tonight.

bobbywatson
09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Slightly better version of woman #1:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8318/8034436431_932b2233ff_z.jpg

This one is slightly better, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. I think I may need to redo it once or twice. Or maybe I will just fix it in GIMP. We'll see.

Head is a lot better. Hands are not perfect, but I did not spend a lot of time on them, I just wanted to get the general pose correct. The arms look kinda weird.

Mightyblue
09-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah, the upper arms are a bit noodly, and the armpit gap on the right arm is just way too wide. Most human beings don't have anywhere near that wide an armpit gap.

bobbywatson
08-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Haven't posted anything here in a while, and yet I've been drawing quite a bit. Well, more than usual.

I spent quite a few hours on this one, and it turned out actually not half bad:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/9496575431_393fd2f91b_z.jpg

The wheels could have used more work, but overall, I like it!

bobbywatson
02-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Trying to figure out how to use Photoshop and how to use colour (because so far I've basically only been using pencils). I've gone back to the project I posted about a few posts above this one, and things are moving forward slowly. This one might some day be done. Like, a year of two from now.

This is a work in progress. The hands, feet and left arm are incomplete, and I will probably print a copy and look at it once in a while before I declare it complete. I have to admit, though, I think I like it. Which is unusual.

https://v4s.yimg.com/sm/5511/12683791785_2c8330740f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_hope/12683791785/)

alpha jammer
02-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Nice job so far! Maryann has been talking about trying to learn photoshop too.

bobbywatson
02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
I had a lot of help at first, and I'm still far from being able to say that I've mastered it. Making progress though!

bobbywatson
03-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Painting project moving forward! I decided on the final composition and did a quick color test this weekend:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/13510528534_1353a59898_z.jpg

I'm not 100% satisfied yet (the statue needs some work, and I'm not entirely happy with the colors, I feel like the scene should be darker), but I will probably get started on the final version anyway and make any adjustment there.

Lady
03-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Is it supposed to be lit from those windows on the back wall? If so, then the lighting on the statue is backwards-- she would be a lot darker, with highlights on either side. The orange/burnt sienna wall would be darker as well, minus some bloom around the edges of the window.

I'm still impressed that you've been keeping up with this project for so long though!

bobbywatson
03-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Is it supposed to be lit from those windows on the back wall? If so, then the lighting on the statue is backwards-- she would be a lot darker, with highlights on either side. The orange/burnt sienna wall would be darker as well, minus some bloom around the edges of the window.

I'm still impressed that you've been keeping up with this project for so long though!

All good points I had already noted. This is mostly just a color test. I

I actually left that project dormant for more than a year. I recently switched to a four-day week schedule at work, which now leaves me more time to work on that sort of stuff. I'm also doing a short comic story, but frustrations with that project somewhat forced me to come back to this one :) I will go back to the comic once this painting is done. And when I get frustrated with the comic again, I will get back to the men's bath painting.

As learning experiences, both projects have been incredible.

Guild
03-30-2014, 06:57 PM
God it's refreshing to see someone practicing form figure drawing. Keep up the awesome work man. Thanks for sharing, the thread's great!

bobbywatson
03-31-2014, 07:54 AM
God it's refreshing to see someone practicing form figure drawing. Keep up the awesome work man. Thanks for sharing, the thread's great!

I actually should do more of that kind of practice. All I've been doing lately is pretty much colouring work in Photoshop.

Thanks for the good word!

bobbywatson
04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Latest revision:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/14030769143_1f24f0505c_z.jpg

This project is moving forward slowly. I wish things would go faster (I'm still hoping to be done before I go to Europe for vacation at the end of May), but at least the project is moving forward!

Final dimensions are going to be 24" x 48", printed on a gallery canvas. The pattern you see on all sides will be on the side of the canvas.

Observations:

Not sure about the side pattern's colours yet.
The white of the arches is also a bit too white, I think. I should probably add a slight yellow tint to them, to go with the yellow light that will be coming in through the windows on both sides of the statue.
The wall behind the statue is too bright.
I don't like the floor tiles and will change them, probably this weekend.
Vertical compositions are hard
Saving this on my HD takes 5 to 10 minutes. If I ever needed a reason to get an SSD, this is it.

bobbywatson
06-14-2014, 07:46 AM
New update!

I was unable to finish before I left for my trip to Europe. I am currently aiming for the end of June. Most of the elements are already present, except for the second bath at the base of the statue and the base of the statue itself, but things are moving forward.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3905/14439468023_6a90aa9be6_b.jpg

I spent some time this week fixing a few issues with the statue. I changed the lighting yesterday, so I have to fix it on the statue's head as well (which is scheduled for today). I still have a lot of work to do on the floor (the shadows from the statue and the columns, mostly), and I think the red and white headings are still too bright.

I did get an SSD and, while things are not as quick as I wish them to be, I did notice a significant improvement in loading and saving times.

Traumadore
06-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Looks like it's coming along. The shadows on the floor are going to ground everything nicely, and help sell the change in depth at the pool edge. I feel like there should be some lighter values on the head and shoulders of the statue, but the other figures are treated well. Maybe play around with additional colors for the figures. We're not all one consistent color from head to toe. Someone might have a paler, pinker face, or a bluer hue on their chest, or orange-ish hands and feet, and so on. It can be really subtle, but adds some life to the figure.

I also think the bit of the further wall that is blacked out now looks too flat. Maybe somewhere in-between the last two pictures would look good. Gloomy, but with some details visible.

Is there going to be a landscape in the background?

bobbywatson
06-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I did some work this weekend on the statue's lighting (putting some highlights on the hair, head and shoulders), but like an idiot I forgot to save. I've also improved the lighting on the columns, and I think it adds more depth. And I did save that.

My original design had a landscape in the background, but I've scraped that idea a long time ago and put the statue instead. The final result will be fairly different from what I originally had in mind, and that's perfectly OK.

I will add some discreet patterns on the wall behind the statue. Probably something similar to the bricks on top of the painting, but more discreet. I think it will look good, but we'll see. I've also added another pool at the bottom of the statue, and the base of the statue itself as well. Both are in flat colours at the moment, but I will be adding lighting and shading on those this week.

Judging by the list of tasks on my whiteboard, and if I put in some extra time this week, the initial revision should be done next Sunday. I cannot wait to put this project behind me, I have to admit. I will do a men's bathhouse, but probably not before next year. This gives me plenty of time to come up with the composition.

bobbywatson
06-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Not perfect, but I'm calling this version 1.0. I will print it and review every single square inch of it before I send it out to print on the actual canvas.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5569/14499572802_62aa2a1a88_b.jpg

I'm sick of working on this, time to move on to something else and put this on the backburner until I'm done with the review process.

The water is flat and I don't like it, but I'm not quite sure what I should be doing to fix this. Lucky for me, I know two local artists who can assist.

Kirin
07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Catching up, and what you already said is the only negative reaction I had to it - the flat-shaded water just doesn't mesh with the more realistic/detailed style of the rest of the piece. I'm not a painter, so I'm afraid I don't really have any concrete suggestions either, though.

Lady
07-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I found something that might be inspiring if you ever start on version 2.0
http://natgeofound.tumblr.com/post/65443866358/men-soak-in-mineral-laden-hot-waters-of-the-rudas

bobbywatson
07-24-2014, 07:16 AM
I found something that might be inspiring if you ever start on version 2.0
http://natgeofound.tumblr.com/post/65443866358/men-soak-in-mineral-laden-hot-waters-of-the-rudas

Thanks! The men's bath is certainly on my mind these days now that the women's bath is almost wrapped up.

I noticed a few errors, some of my friends have noticed a few more, so I need to spend a few hours in Photoshop in the next few weeks to fix those and get this to the printer. It was not always fun (in fact, getting to the finish line was pretty much the exact opposite), but it certainly was a worthwhile experience and a great learning opportunity. I expect the men's bath will take considerably less time. Not that I'm in a rush to get started though.

bobbywatson
10-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Been a while since I've posted anything, so here are two recent drawings:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3943/15468608858_b38b2c9613.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pyUEuJ)

I found the original for this in an issue of Hemisphere (which I believe is United's in flight magazine) a few years ago, in an article on Thai boxing. The page actually features four images. This is the one on the top left. I started drawing the one underneath it (three Buddhist monks), and will draw the other two eventually. Two of the faces are kinda weird, but overall I kinda like this one. I may end up redoing it in a bigger format at some point.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3948/15631036666_c1573a41ff.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pPg9Cb)

I took this one from a catalog for Canadian retail chain Sports Experts from 2 years ago. The face of the girl took a few tries, and it's still not perfect, but at least it's not scary like it was at first. I'm quite happy with the guy's shorts, for some reason.

Also started to work on a comic in the past few months. Here's the latest panel:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7568/15469245070_d18ea79773.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pyXVBU)

The story could be interesting, the art is crap, but I will keep working on it anyway. (Uploaded the French version, because I'm cool like that. Too lazy to upload the English one, so here's what Luke says: "I don't know what you're doing dressed like that moving around air conduits, but I'm pretty sure the captain would not approve". Yes, I know it's terrible.)

bobbywatson
05-11-2015, 07:03 PM
I've been experimenting with the basic watercolour brush in Manga Studio 5 EX, using the same character as in my previous post, from the comic I will someday turn into a semi-regular webcomic (promise!):

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5334/16917031723_486c55ea52_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rLUd9K)

I kinda like the result.

In case anyone cares: I've decided to start over, using the same story, but told in a better way, as an actual introduction to a series, rather than just going panel-by-panel like I was before. Most chapters will be independent stories, with a few recurring characters.

Basically, all characters that are part of the Fleet (a privately-owned version of Starfleet in my universe, rotten to the core with corruption) will be wearing these orange, sexy uniforms, and no shoes, because why not.

The guy depicted above, Lucian Migraļ, is the main character, working for the FII (Fleet's Internal Investigations) division.

Traumadore
05-27-2015, 09:05 PM
That last drawing is good, definitely time to get started making regular strips. I think the practice alone will get you where you want to be soon!

bobbywatson
05-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the kind word!

Script for Episode 1 is 80% complete in my head and 30% complete on paper. I've switched back to fulltime schedule at work (and I'm also looking for a new job and planning to move out of the hole I've been living in for quite a while), so that will make progress slow.

I've also finally settled on a title: Section 42.

bobbywatson
09-22-2015, 07:53 PM
And page 1 of Section 42 is finally complete...

I'd say I'm about 50% happy with it. At this point, I've spent too much time on it, it's time to move on.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/735/21640817885_89bf26cea6_b.jpg

Page 2 is inked and I've started colouring it, but will require some time, as there are a lot of computer screens to generate, and they're a pain in the butt. I'm trying to write a program to generate them randomly (and trying to learn Swift at the same time), so it might take a while.

I've also started penciling page 3. It's about 15% complete. Since I'm dealing with some... health issues at the moment, I have no idea how long it will take.

The script for the first episode is complete, and I am revising it as I draw it. I know of at least one scene that will need to be rewritten entirely.

Traumadore
09-27-2015, 02:09 AM
Looking good! I kinda love how everyone is barefoot on this station. Can't wait to see what's up with this place.

Rivers
09-27-2015, 02:19 AM
The limited color scheme looks really good, and I like the watercolor texture.

Do you have a website where you'll be uploading the comic?

bobbywatson
09-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Looking good! I kinda love how everyone is barefoot on this station. Can't wait to see what's up with this place.

The limited color scheme looks really good, and I like the watercolor texture.

Do you have a website where you'll be uploading the comic?

Not yet. I'm going to be using a custom CMS (developed by me, I want to teach myself Ruby on Rails) which isn't ready yet, and I want to have more pages done before I start posting.

Thanks for the good word! I'm going to go draw page 3 now...

bobbywatson
05-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Due to work, while I do continue to work on Section 42 (http://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=17607) (mostly working on the script), things are way too slow for my taste. I am using this time to explore digital art a bit (using my brand new and gigantic iPad Pro). I am also trying to change my drawing style a bit, to make it more simple (and, in doing so, maybe more consistent as well).

Here's a first test, done in Tayasui Sketches II:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7581/26536169034_f401762b19.jpg

This turned out somewhat better than I thought it would, but I still find it hard to adjust to a new tool. The Apple Pencil is definitely the best iPad stylus I've tried so far though, and the palm rejection is nearly perfect.