PDA

View Full Version : Smash Bros. Brawl control Scheme

reibeatall
06-08-2007, 07:37 AM
This one's for M. Nicolai.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/images/various01/various01_070608a.jpg

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Nice that they give you options. Too bad it is still the shittiest alleged fighting game there is. Oh, wait. Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game. It's a masturbation aid for Nintendo fanboys.

reibeatall
06-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm sensing hostility.

Fer
06-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Who said it's a fighting game?
It's a great party game.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 08:07 AM
OH MAN CLASCON SUPPORT SWEET
(runs to check out site)

I might just stick with the GC controller. Rumble and all.

Nice that they give you options. Too bad it is still the shittiest alleged fighting game there is.

I know, that shit makes Kabuki Fighters look awesome, amiright guys?

TheSL
06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Hmm? How do you do smashes and dashes with just the Wii Remote?
If I get the chance to tell you, I will.

Not that I plan on actually using that control style, but what a cock tease.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 08:24 AM

I actually bookmarked that site at work today. I need these updates and I don't care who finds out.

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
HOORAY FOR WAGGLE! I still hate the game though.

Sprite
06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Well I love it and I don't care who knows.

The whole site is a huge tease. He actually plans to explain every Pokemon you can get from the Poke balls. At this rate we're going to find out if there are any more new characters about three days before the release date.

TheSL
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
The whole site is a huge tease. He actually plans to explain every Pokemon you can get from the Poke balls. At this rate we're going to find out if there are any more new characters about three days before the release date.

Well, when you've got an ambiguous "before the end of the year" release date and 5 days a week to update that leaves a lot of time to ramble on about individual weapons and such.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Does anyone else think that all the updates have been written already and that it's just a matter of time before the site gets hacked?

JCDenton
06-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Nice that they give you options. Too bad it is still the shittiest alleged fighting game there is. Oh, wait. Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game. It's a masturbation aid for Nintendo fanboys.

That's a little harsh, isn't it? While it might not be a fighter with the depth of say Capcom vs SNK 2 I am still surprised at how much fun it is, even after 300 hours of playtime. I still see things happen that I've never seen before.

As for the control schemes, this was the best thing Nintendo could have done to make sure the most number of people can enjoy it. I'll probably stick with the Gamecube controller because I'm most used to it and it doesn't eat batteries, but I'm interested in seeing how the others hold up.

BEAT
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
The amount of sheer venom people can produce when this game is discussed never ceases to amaze me. It almost is enough to make one believe that there are people in the world who cannot stand it when other people (people completely removed from themselves whom they likely will never have direct contact with) have fun.

But that's just silly.

Mister Toups
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM

See Parish? You choose vbulletin, you start getting neogaf comments.

SEE???

So how much you wanna bet doing a smash move with the wiimote involves actually PUNCHING left or right?

The real question is how does dodging work?

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Shaking the nunchuck. Is it me or is the motion sensor in the nunchuck really lousy?

Torgo
06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Maybe I got the only good one in existence. It would explain why I'm think I'm the only person on the planet that had no problems with and enjoyed the sword fighting in Red Steel.

Mister Toups
06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Shaking the nunchuck. Is it me or is the motion sensor in the nunchuck really lousy?

No, see, there's a wiimote ONLY control scheme.

I'm sure you'll dodge/dash/block as usual with the nunchuck, by holding R and tapping the analog stick.

VsRobot
06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Slightly off topic, but there is an ignore feature in the User CP.

On topic, I'm pleased to see the choices available, and I wish Metal Slug anthology had clascon support.

Tomm Guycot
06-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Too bad I played Melee every day at lunch for over a year and never got tired of it because it's brilliant.

Am I allowed to hate Halo yet, or is that still taboo and we're allowing this shit?

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Wow, I don't like Smash Bros, but I don't hate it that much. I loved the game in the beginning, until it got crazy difficult and I couldn't keep up.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Am I allowed to hate Halo yet, or is that still taboo and we're allowing this shit?

Who's allowing it? The guy is getting slammed pretty hard.

openedsource
06-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Getting out of the way of the guy sitting next to you that's about to punch you with a "smash attack"?

(Yeah, that's also a really roundabout dig at my confidence in their being decent online play).

And rather than them trickling out info that's already been pre-prepared, I like to imagine them on a really agile development cycle, where someone came to the realization that "oh shit, it's 2007" and they're actually developing and implementing these new features on a daily basis.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 01:12 PM
(Yeah, that's also a really roundabout dig at my confidence in their being decent online play).

Sakurai wrote that Nintendo wanted this game to be showcase for their online play. Which still means it could suck, but at least we'll have a barometer for how much their online play will suck in the future. I'm guilty of buying into the hype but I still have hope for it.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Too bad I played Melee every day at lunch for over a year and never got tired of it because it's brilliant.

Guycott, according to your post history, Nintendo=11 out of 10, every time.

I trust your opinion on anything they produce as much as I trust an Iranian World War II museum.

Chu
06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm glad that using GameCube controllers is an option, if only because trying to procure 3 other Wii Remotes would be kind of pricey for me.

I have a bad habit of only playing as Pikachu (with a blue party hat) ever since the first Smash Bros, even though I know the basic moves of most of the other characters. What character do you guys like the best?

Thinaran
06-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, if the online play is as painless and lag free as Mario Strikers Charged, it'll be great.

Since most of you guys haven't played it yet, it works like this:

You add your friends to the friends roster, as with the Wii adress book it won't work unless you both register eachother. When you do, you can choose Friendly, and host a match. Set up your options and select the court you want, and your friend roster will show up again. Choose the person you want (if he's online) and select invite. Your opponent will get a "You've been challenged!" screen which shows the quality of the connection (1-5 stars) and is able to accept or decline. Easy as pie.

You can also play a ranked battle. Just select Ranked, and you'll be paired up with some random guy at your skill level. A new "season" starts every week, i.e. all the ranks are reset.

Your online profile is linked to the Mii of your choice.

And no, there is no way to talk to your opponent. I wonder if Nintendo'll release some kind of headset for Brawl. Smash Bros just doesn't work without trash talking.

JCDenton
06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I have a bad habit of only playing as Pikachu (with a blue party hat) ever since the first Smash Bros, even though I know the basic moves of most of the other characters. What character do you guys like the best?

I'll play most everyone, but if I'm playing to win, Peach is my girl. She'll mess you up. I'm trying to learn Falco, but I'm a bit spike happy and often end up killing myself.

Guy
06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Thank God for online. Maybe I'll actually be able to find people to play with who don't enjoy only playing on Final Destination with no items. Like some retarded friends of mine I could mention.

openedsource
06-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Thank God for online. Maybe I'll actually be able to find people to play with who don't enjoy only playing on Final Destination with no items. Like some retarded friends of mine I could mention.

I kind of got the impression from the genral internet population that that'll end up being most online matches outside of friend-code-only games. Which weighed upon my previous comments.

But then, I'm the kind of guy who plays as Pichu and thinks that it'll be really cool to wave around the remote as a Donkey Kong hammer and to throw pokeballs.

poetfox
06-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Pichu is the Dan of Smash Brothers.

shivam
06-08-2007, 05:41 PM
i'm confused. why would people hate smash brothers? its not like the game is competing with real fighters, or even in the same sphere as them. It's a button mashing party game with a bit of strategy for spice. Nobody who plays SSB is expecting anything but the chance for this nintendo character to beat the snot out of that one. It's, as someone earlier said, a great party game.

Lumber Baron
06-08-2007, 05:47 PM
It's in the same sphere enough for the Shoryuken guys to include it in Evo 2007 (http://www.evo2k.com/).

Tomm Guycot
06-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Guycott, according to your post history, Nintendo=11 out of 10, every time.

I trust your opinion on anything they produce as much as I trust an Iranian World War II museum.

Last I checked, I was the guy who hated Ocarina of Time.

Coinspinner
06-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Glad I have a Wavebird and my sister has 2 Gamecube controllers. But I will laugh so hard if one of the waggle setups proves superior to the more traditional control setups. Also...

SSB: Kirby
Melee: Peach

If Kirby gets his tackle back I'll probably end up playing as him most of the time.

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Last I checked, I was the guy who hated Ocarina of Time.*

*Citation needed.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Last I checked, I was the guy who hated Ocarina of Time.

Well, I can agree with that opinion, but I take all others with a large grain of salt. Actually a boulder.

chocogaz
06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Smash Bros is awesome and anyone who disagrees probably also likes ham.

I think that have 4 totally different options is awesome and could be really fun to have themed sessions. Like a set of matches where everyone must use just the wiimote and stuff. I could see my friends and I having a blast.

Torgo
06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of trying to shoehorn a straight fighting experience out of Smash Bros. Just isn't all that entertaining.

I have hope for the online play because, unlike most fighters on the market, the chaotic nature of this game should make a tiny bit of latency much more forgiving. Unlike other fighters, where a single frame of lost animation can cost a player the match, Smash is a lot simpler, and should adapt easier to the caveats that come with internets gaming.

SSB: Link (I liked Samus best, but I was better with Link)
Melee: Fox

I just hope they keep Mr. Game and Watch. As a character, yeah, not so hot, but one of his attacks was flinging bacon out a frying pan.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Yay, flamebait.

Anyway, loved Melee, never got to play the first. Hope Virtual Console rectifies this.

I see SSB as a fighting game, in the same way that Castlevania and Mario are both platformers. Simple enough.

And Mr. Game & Watch needs to be kept, along with the Ice Climbers.

Young Link needs a Wind Waker makeover, though.

As new characters go, I hope Wario has his traditional anti-Mario costume as a selectable option. And add Waluigi, too.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

JCDenton
06-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I have to take issue with the notion that Smash is a button masher. While it might not have the most complicated inputs out there, it is rarely possible to beat a decent player by mashing. Compare this to a "serious" fighting game like Soul Calibur II where my friend can beat me by stamping on the controller with his feet. (No, I don't suck)

Sanagi
06-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Peach, Jigglypuff, Game & Watch. Because they're funny. Sometimes I just pick vegetables until I get the skull turnip. My best character for actually winning is Mewtwo.

Although my favorite thing to do is go into giant mode with items set to super mushrooms only, play Mario, and use his taunt.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 04:18 AM
I have to take issue with the notion that Smash is a button masher. While it might not have the most complicated inputs out there, it is rarely possible to beat a decent player by mashing. Compare this to a "serious" fighting game like Soul Calibur II where my friend can beat me by stamping on the controller with his feet. (No, I don't suck)

Yeah, I've held my own in SCII with no prior experience, but SSBM? I just can't imagine getting very far just by button mashing unless you're playing against someone equally unskilled, or on a very easy computer setting.

BEAT
06-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Young Link needs a Wind Waker makeover, though.

This is the best idea in the history of games that people argue about.

If not the history of human civilization as well.

alexb
06-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I play as Link. I'm even pretty decent with him. I know, it's a boring choice.

Squall
06-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Samus al the way.

Tomm Guycot
06-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Smash Bros is a lot more complex than a "party game" would be, but the beauty of the game is that it can be played both as a party game and as a hardcore competetive game with fighting.

I am not one of those "tournament circuit" players who only plays 2p matches with no items on flat stages. I think that's BS. If I wanted to play THAT game I'd play SF2 or Tekken or whatnot. They tell me playing like that proves the most SKILLED player, but I would argue the most skilled player would know how to handle mines, guns, bats, and whatever else randomly pops up--not have to turn them off cause he can't remember where mines were dropped.

But I played with said players (by my 4p, item-slinging rules) every day for over a year, so I learned how deep the game actually is. It's kind of ridiculous. And I know people like Parish won't believe me, but it is.

My player of choice is Ness, followed by Luigi.

I've dabbled in Samus and I used to play Link on N64, but they're hardly my power players.

shivam
06-09-2007, 12:31 PM
yeah, my friends and i? we didnt care about depth or whatever. we just wanted to hang out and spend a few hours kicking each other's asses. For depth we went to soul calibur, or svc or something.

Squall
06-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Ness & Kirby were definitely the two best characers in the first game, but Peach is without a doubt the most potent character in Melee, while Ness kinda dropped off the map. Kirby's still pretty awesome though.

Mister Toups
06-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I thought Falco and Fox were "top tier".

Peach is fucking brutal, though, yeah.

Also, fuck the whole no items final destination BS. The whole point of the game is learning to survive amidst chaos while killing your opponents. The thing about Melee is that they balanced out pretty much all of the items that "broke" the original Smash Bros. (the hammer, heart, etc). Overall items are much more disposable and much less deadly. The stages are a lot more complex, but once everyone learns them well enough, it evens out the playing field again.

nadia
06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
If you select the Pokemon battlefield and turn up the Pokeball item drop to infinity, you can have the most awesome Pokemon battle ever.

openedsource
06-09-2007, 03:00 PM
If you select the Pokemon battlefield and turn up the Pokeball item drop to infinity, you can have the most awesome Pokemon battle ever.

Amen to that. And on the meta-game tack, have you ever played Mr. Saturn baseball?

Jeanie
06-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Original Smash: Link (3 lvl 9's vs me just for fun)
Melee: Still Link, but sometimes Peach just for humiliation factor.

And FD with no items is freaking boring, good for every once in a while, but not all the time every time.

poetfox
06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
The REAL Final Destination game is Lighting Melee, everyone has to be Fox, High Items, nothing but Bunny Hoods. THAT is fun.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Smash Bros is a lot more complex than a "party game" would be, but the beauty of the game is that it can be played both as a party game and as a hardcore competetive game with fighting.

I am not one of those "tournament circuit" players who only plays 2p matches with no items on flat stages. I think that's BS. If I wanted to play THAT game I'd play SF2 or Tekken or whatnot. They tell me playing like that proves the most SKILLED player, but I would argue the most skilled player would know how to handle mines, guns, bats, and whatever else randomly pops up--not have to turn them off cause he can't remember where mines were dropped.

But I played with said players (by my 4p, item-slinging rules) every day for over a year, so I learned how deep the game actually is. It's kind of ridiculous. And I know people like Parish won't believe me, but it is.

My player of choice is Ness, followed by Luigi.

I've dabbled in Samus and I used to play Link on N64, but they're hardly my power players.

Mario here, all the way. Not that I don't use other characters, but he's my default for when I need to be at my best.

And I love the no-holds-barred, anything goes, anything can happen part of the gameplay. From what I've heard about the tournament style players, it just sounds like excuses for when they lose. Me, I say if you're that good, it shouldn't matter if you accidently step on a landmine or not.

The REAL Final Destination game is Lighting Melee, everyone has to be Fox, High Items, nothing but Bunny Hoods. THAT is fun.

Final Destination is the one stage I've never been able to unlock, and that saddens me. Not because I want nothing but a "pure" fighting experience, but sometimes throwing that in is as different to the rest as Hyrule Temple is from Brinstar Depths.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Torgo
06-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm hoping they bring back previous stages again, just so I have room to hope for Big Blue again. That stage is an absolute blast.

Coinspinner
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Ness & Kirby were definitely the two best characers in the first game, but Peach is without a doubt the most potent character in Melee, while Ness kinda dropped off the map. Kirby's still pretty awesome though.

Wow, how the hell did I accidentally pick two good characters out of all the others? Or maybe I gravitated towards them because they were good...

Torgo
06-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Fox beats them all.

Sorry guys.

Squall
06-09-2007, 10:05 PM
A skilled player with fox could juggle you to infinity in the original, but it was still avoidable from another also skilled player. But in Melee, they totally 'broke' Fox, and split up his excellence with Falco to form 2 average characters

Actually, the worst round I ever had in the original was a friend and I against Yoshi. I could do 3 lv9s on one team vs me and still win, but somehow I hit this one freak accident... It was both of us on the same team, and we still lost,the bastard was unkillable. I think he was pushing past 300-400% health every round, he'd somehow do his little jump back to the map from the outer limits of the level. It was amazing.

Oh, my 2nd fav. pick in the first game used to be Jigglypuff for humiliating people, before I realized how totally badass he actually was in Melee. 2 near-1 hit ko moves is a bit much, even if it is hard to hit with them.

Torgo
06-09-2007, 10:26 PM
A skilled player with fox could juggle you to infinity in the original, but it was still avoidable from another also skilled player. But in Melee, they totally 'broke' Fox, and split up his excellence with Falco to form 2 average characters.
Really? I always felt Fox kinda sucked in the original.

Spikey
06-10-2007, 01:14 AM
What they need to do is replace the Fighting Wireframes with Miis.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-10-2007, 03:20 AM

I had the same idea, actually.

And instead of bringing stages back in full, I'd like them to rearrange some. Same setting, different layout, where applicable. For example, not much you can do with Peach's castle or Titania or the Great Fox without just messing with the design, in which case, why bother.

But something like the Hyrule Temple, Brinstar Depths, or NES SMB and SMB2 stages, rearrange stuff, make them fresh, but with the same look, music, and gimmicks that we had before.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

JCDenton
06-10-2007, 05:20 AM
But in Melee, they totally 'broke' Fox, and split up his excellence with Falco to form 2 average characters

While it is true that they split SSB Fox a bit between him and Falco in Melee, this didn't really kill either of them. Last time I checked they were the two top tier characters in the game and absolutely terrifying in the hands of a skilled player.

Ghost from Spelunker
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Amen to that. And on the meta-game tack, have you ever played Mr. Saturn baseball?

Or have you ever tried playing catch with a Bob-omb? They should hold tournaments for that.

MetManMas
06-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Super Smash Bros. Brawl having all those different control options available really doesn't surprise me too much. Having an option for control with just the Wiimote (in controller formation) didn't surprise me too much either, since the Super Smash Bros. games have always had an 2D feel to their control design even with the analog stick.

Not that it's a bad thing, though. A big part of my love for Super Smash Bros. is how easy it is to get into.

Sprite
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Jigglypuff has always been my favorite character, because most people expect her to suck. Second are Kirby and Peach. I also like Ice Climbers, Ness, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Luigi, and Mr. Game and Watch. I never use Link/Samus because EVERYONE uses them.

I hate it when people pick just one character and use him/her exclusively, especially in Smash Bros. or Marvel vs Capcom 2. Fighting games with a ton of characters should be about variety!

Torgo
06-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I hate it when people pick just one character and use him/her exclusively, especially in Smash Bros. or Marvel vs Capcom 2. Fighting games with a ton of characters should be about variety!
Presumably we're making an exception for always picking Kobun, right?

mopinks
06-12-2007, 11:02 PM

this is the only way my girlfriend ever wants to play the game! SHE THRIVES ON THE UTTER CHAOS.

Torgo
06-27-2007, 04:55 PM
You got your Wild Arms musics in my Zelda musics! (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music04.html) (And I likes it).

This makes me eager to see what the more prominent names on the composers list are going to come up with.

Jeanie
06-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah that medley is pretty awesome. Second best Zelda music I heard all week (First is the intro to Phantom Hourglass, saw the video of it on 1up.com).

Merus
06-27-2007, 09:33 PM
I just noticed: Totaka's contributing to Brawl.

I think he has to be music director for the Totakeke song to turn up, but maybe they'll sneak it in thanks to the incestuous nature of Smash Bros.

Calorie Mate
06-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, how did I miss this thread? To catch up: I played Ness, Samus, Pikachu, and Kirby in the original, and play Peach, Ness, Pikachu, and Samus in Melee. Yes, that's a lot, but I grow bored using the same two characters over and over again.

As for Brawl, it's easily my most anticipated game of the year, in a year with a ton of games I'm looking forward to. It's no secret that, no matter how he handles, my first order of business is to learn to be good with Snake. Honestly, I still can't really believe that they're making a Smash Bros. with Snake in it. I don't know if you guys have ever had a game designed specifically for you, but if you ever have the chance, I highly recommend it.

And playing a match with a rendition of Totaka's Song playing would be sweet.

alexb
06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
You got your Wild Arms musics in my Zelda musics! (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music04.html) (And I likes it).

This makes me eager to see what the more prominent names on the composers list are going to come up with.

Man, that's seriously nine kinds of awesome.

Sprite
06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Presumably we're making an exception for always picking Kobun, right?

If you could manage fighting off the cheapos in the arcade that spam Cable and Blackheart, etc. using only Kobun, then yes, please always pick him. Also, I'd want a video. That'd be fun to watch.

Oh wait, Smash Bros. Right. Looks like you can save your preferred control scheme to your name AND you can use custom button configurations. I wonder if it's possible to assign moves to pre-specified remote gestures. Not that I would play with anything other than a Gamecube or Classic Controller.

Torgo
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
If you could manage fighting off the cheapos in the arcade that spam Cable and Blackheart, etc. using only Kobun, then yes, please always pick him. Also, I'd want a video. That'd be fun to watch.
Incidentally I've never played the game in the arcade. Beyond that, I've never actually owned the game and the few friends I have played it with over the years never played it seriously.

That said, I am well aware how broken the game and that Kobun is pretty low on the list of desirables. That doesn't mean he's not awesome if you're just playing casually.

Mightyblue
06-28-2007, 07:26 PM

This makes me eager to see what the more prominent names on the composers list are going to come up with.Quick sidetrack, but Torgo, on Galbaldia Hotel they have a rock arrangement of most of the battle themes from the different Wild Arms games. Mostly good stuff.

Ghost from Spelunker
06-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Know how the final Fighting Wireframe is always the hardest? Make him a Miyamoto Mii with the toy sword and shield.

alexb
06-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Brilliant suggestion. Parish, make this happen with your unlimited NGJ powers, please?

spineshark
06-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Jigglypuff has always been my favorite character, because most people expect her to suck.
HAHAHA finally somebody else! I started playing Jigglypuff when my brothers and I finally got SSB on 64, after playing mostly Link before that, because I was convinced she was much better than everyone said.

I started liking it even more when I found that an overwhelming majority of (American) nintendo fanboys hate Jigglypuff and were hoping she wouldn't make it into Brawl.

TheSL
06-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Man, Jigglypuff's rollout is the crux of my non-Ness strategy in Melee. Sure it might have a high chance of suicide, but if it connects its magic.

Coincidentally, my favorite move to use as Ness is the PK Thunder->Ness body rocket thing.

Brickroad
06-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Jigglypuff is so, so awesome. I get frustrated when I try to use her though because I'm pretty bad at the game.

My best players ("best" here meaning "the ones with which I tend to lose by the smallest margin") are Fox, Falco, Kirby and Peach.

I shudder to think what would happen to me if I were forced to choose between Smash Bros. Brawl and, say, oxygen.

Calorie Mate
06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
As I've said, the "drought of Wii games" isn't really a problem, as once Brawl comes out I'll pretty much never play another game again.

Anyway, TheSL, I think the PK Thunder --> Ness Body thing is an important weapon for anyone that plays the lil' guy. When it works perfectly, it's made of win.

Sprite
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Man, Jigglypuff's rollout is the crux of my non-Ness strategy in Melee. Sure it might have a high chance of suicide, but if it connects its magic.

Coincidentally, my favorite move to use as Ness is the PK Thunder->Ness body rocket thing.

I can't think of any other fighting games in which a character's best move has a good chance of ending in suicide.

Torgo
06-29-2007, 12:48 PM
For you Fox fans out there: How important is the deflection ability? Despite Fox being my favorite and arguably best character, I've never really been able to make good use of it. It's all about that blaster and dash attack. My proficiency with the latter used to drive my friends up the wall.

Lumber Baron
06-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I can't think of any other fighting games in which a character's best move has a good chance of ending in suicide.

Tekken/Soul Calibur on account of Yoshimitsu.

Kirin
06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Ah yes, the uber-powered Yoshi suicide is always good for a laugh if you can pull it off. Some other SC characters also have decent moves that can cause self-ring-outs if you're not careful.

That reminds me, though this is totally the wrong thread, I'm curious now as to what the "third method of dying" (other than KO and RO) in SC4 is going to be.

Mightyblue
06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Time out, I'm guessing? :P

My favorite character would have to be either Luigi or Kirby, since one of my favorite attacks is Kirby's blade attack.

poetfox
06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
For you Fox fans out there: How important is the deflection ability? Despite Fox being my favorite and arguably best character, I've never really been able to make good use of it. It's all about that blaster and dash attack. My proficiency with the latter used to drive my friends up the wall.
Killing someone with the Reflector is insanely embarrasing for them. That's about the only benefit I can see.

Kirin
06-29-2007, 01:40 PM
MightyBlue - Er, I think I phrased it wrong. The guy being interviewed was implying (I believe) that there was a brand new way to win/lose that wasn't due to the health meter (or ring-out) at all, so I don't think it's just the old "whoever's lower at time up loses". Maybe there's a dodo bird fatality. :P

Mightyblue
06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
MightyBlue - Er, I think I phrased it wrong. The guy being interviewed was implying (I believe) that there was a brand new way to win/lose that wasn't due to the health meter (or ring-out) at all, so I don't think it's just the old "whoever's lower at time up loses". Maybe there's a dodo bird fatality. :PI know, but I was messing with you. Humor and all that jazz. Maybe it will be some kind of technical victory, like hits scored/blocked or something along those lines.

Brickroad
06-29-2007, 03:54 PM

In the original SSB it was awesome as a spike move, if you could pull it off over a pit. It was "nerfed" a pinch for SSBM but still pretty awesome, and it's a pretty decent combo to grab someone, throw them down into the ground, then finish off with a Reflector to knock them away from you.

My basic Fox strategy is to rack up as much damage as possible with blasterspam while running the hell away from anything and everything that can damage me.

JCDenton
06-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Pretty darn important, I'd say, especially if you can cancel it into a jump. As has been mentioned, it is a great combo starter and an effective spike, but it can be difficult to use. See (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3gitYccuY) for yourself.

ringworm
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
You know, I was always aware, at least peripherally, that people played SSB seriously, but I had never actually watched a video of it until now. This is some pretty impressive shit.

Merus
06-30-2007, 02:29 AM
It's amazing the comparison between the Evo 2007 SSBM video (on the first page, click on the logo) and that Youtube video. The Evo video makes the game look like a button masher. The YouTube video makes the game look a hell of a lot deeper.

Squall
06-30-2007, 02:49 AM

Tobal 1/2 with whatever the robot was.
Although it wasn't so much suicide as it was hitting the off button on his back.

Now someone link to a top-class Peach battle. I've battled a couple of the Texas SSB players who used Peach and it scared the crap out of me.

Calorie Mate
06-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Pretty darn important, I'd say, especially if you can cancel it into a jump. As has been mentioned, it is a great combo starter and an effective spike, but it can be difficult to use. See (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3gitYccuY) for yourself.

See, that's hardcore SSBM action, but it's not...fun. If Brawl has WiFi support, and if people from Talking Time ever play together, I will stab anyone that tries to turn items off and play on a flat stage.

Mr. Sensible
06-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I kinda stopped playing Melee once my brother perfected his Luigi. Getting my ass kicked repeatedly by that simpering buffoon angrys up my blood.

Tomm Guycot
07-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Have you guys seen this Assist Trophy update? These things are awesome! They're like Pokeballs... but any Nintendo character can pop out!

Coinspinner
07-02-2007, 01:20 AM
It makes me a bit nervous that I can suddenly be assaulted by an invincible Samurai Goro or Hammer Brother. It's just too cool of an item to turn off though...

gamin
07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
An all Trophy Assist battle turned up on very high makes a pokebattle pedestrain by comparison. Or have both--the ultimate "get other characters to do your fighting for you" battle.

Vahn16
07-02-2007, 01:30 AM
That idea could be a fun game in and of itself. You know, kind of like a Pokemon spin-off, only you can catch anything.

Coinspinner
07-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Damn, now I'm thinking of a Suikoden with all Nintendo characters as stars of destiny.

Deadguy2322
07-02-2007, 05:19 AM
That idea could be a fun game in and of itself. You know, kind of like a Pokemon spin-off, only you can catch VD.

Now, THAT would be interesting!

Alastor
07-02-2007, 05:32 AM
See, that's hardcore SSBM action, but it's not...fun. If Brawl has WiFi support, and if people from Talking Time ever play together, I will stab anyone that tries to turn items off and play on a flat stage.

Thank you. I understand that Smash Bros has got some depth to it, but what is with these people who make it into Street Fighter 2? It's much closer to Mario Party if anything.

Torgo
07-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Flat plane + no items is fun once in awhile, but the idea that it gives the game some level of legitimacy is stupid.

Excitemike
07-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I wonder how obscure they'll get with the characters.

And I wish Hammer Bros. was playable.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
This Assist Trophy thing is the best idea in the world.

Flat plane + no items is fun once in awhile, but the idea that it gives the game some level of legitimacy is stupid.

Right, it's totally legitimate already, just in a different way. It's like telling your wife you love her for what she isn't.

Alastor
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Imagine throwing one of these assist trophies and seeing Sonic jump out. There goes the internet.

Torgo
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, but they wouldn't squander that kind of cameo on something so simple.

Or would they? Maybe Sonic playable, Tails as an Assist Trophy.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Sonic as an Assist Trophy, Mega Man playable.

Please please please.

Eusis
07-02-2007, 03:33 PM
... If I had to choose between the two to be playable, it'd definitely be Megaman. As nice as it would be to see Mario and Sonic duke it out, I'd rather play as Megaman.

ScrambledGregs
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Playing Smash Brothers competitively never appealed to me. I'm one of those "I WANT CHAOS AND ITEMS EVERYWHERE AND ZANY SHIT EVERYWHERE!!" players who enjoys the random nature of the game. Playing with people who are really, really good at Smash Brothers is just no fun. Hell, I usually just use random select.

At any rate, it's good to see they aren't going to make us use the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. Smash Brothers is the kind of game the Wii desperately needs because it's neither casual nor completely hardcore, either. If Nintendo is going to continue with their "one or two great games a year, and a lot of OK ones" release schedule, then people who were early adopters of the Wii are going to have N64 deja vu.

Potato
07-03-2007, 02:06 PM
So the Smash Bros. Dojo updated with a character page for Bowser (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/bowser.html), but something struck me as odd. In one of the screenshots Bowser is inside his shell. Am I forgetting something (obvious or obscure) or is that a first?

It just looks weird.

poetfox
07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Up B attack makes him spin around inside his shell in Melee.

Excitemike
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
That move is in Melee. He spins around while inside the shell.

EDIT: Jinx!

Potato
07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
That would be what I get for not being familiar with the Smash Bros. games. Disirregardlessly, it looks weird.

Jeanie
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
... If I had to choose between the two to be playable, it'd definitely be Megaman. As nice as it would be to see Mario and Sonic duke it out, I'd rather play as Megaman.

why not both? But Mega Man would be the better playable. Absorbs a player's B button attack like Kirby, but only after scoring a point by knocking them off the screen.

Calorie Mate
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
why not both? But Mega Man would be the better playable. Absorbs a player's B button attack like Kirby, but only after scoring a point by knocking them off the screen.

No, see, one of his moves (like Down B) would be to simply change weapons, and he'd have a couple unique ones (standard Buster, maybe Cut Man's scissors, etc.), and then as you defeat enemies in a life, you have more options to cycle through, depending on who you defeated (and the powers you get would work like when Kirby steals them, yeah).

...I'm kind of excited about the ominous "Don't expect the characters to play in the same way as last time" message that came with Bowser. I really hope there's more of a push to make the game a bit more balanced.

ScrambledGregs
07-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Disirregardlessly

Suddenly my head hurts, and blood is coming out of my ears. Should I consult a physician??

Sprite
07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I was hoping to get into competitive Smash play on this installment, presuming online play, as no 2D fighter has managed to get a strong online presence yet. Of course, now that I've started perusing the "serious" Smash boards after watching that YouTube video...

Man, these people REALLY hate free-for-alls and items. Apparentely playing one-on-one in the boring stages with no items is the way these games were "meant to be played." I for one think adapting to changing situations and multiple opponents is just as impressive as being able to exploit glitches in the gameplay to make Smash more like a regular fighting game. There isn't any item or stage that breaks this game, in my opinion, even the super strong Pokemon are avoidable.

Also, does anyone else here prefer time battle to stock battle?

Alastor
07-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm more of a time match player myself. It's really intense not knowing who's winning or losing, which is why I also keep the score display turned off.

gamin
07-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I almost always play time battles. It makes the end a bit suspenseful and surprising not knowing who will win.

Tomm Guycot
07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
I was hoping to get into competitive Smash play on this installment, presuming online play, as no 2D fighter has managed to get a strong online presence yet. Of course, now that I've started perusing the "serious" Smash boards after watching that YouTube video...

Man, these people REALLY hate free-for-alls and items. Apparentely playing one-on-one in the boring stages with no items is the way these games were "meant to be played." I for one think adapting to changing situations and multiple opponents is just as impressive as being able to exploit glitches in the gameplay to make Smash more like a regular fighting game. There isn't any item or stage that breaks this game, in my opinion, even the super strong Pokemon are avoidable.

Also, does anyone else here prefer time battle to stock battle?

Welcome to my Smash group, LilSprite.

I play Stock OR Time--each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Important thing is, I play with all items on.

Calorie Mate
07-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Dealing with random items and situations is half of Smash's charm.

And like Tomm, I'll play Time or Stock. I have a slight preference for Stock, but Time sort of forces people to give it their all, as every second counts, so I'll gladly play that too.

Kirin
07-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree with pretty much everyone here that items and multiplayer is way more fun and a more natural way to play Smash. But I think you'll never see a real "competitive" scene with "hardcore" players and tournements and such set up this way for the obvious reason that the people who do that sort of thing are.... competitive. Which inevitably means that anyone who lost a match would start complaining about how their death was "cheap and random and not fair", and everyone would get in a big argument and go home in about 10 minutes. Randomness and competition-which-takes-itself-way-too-seriously do not mix well.

Sprite
07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Randomness and competition-which-takes-itself-way-too-seriously do not mix well.

Point taken. Competitive Pokemon players whine all the time about Critical Hits and how they ruin the game, even though critical hits have been a part of pretty much every RPG ever. It'd be like playing Risk and getting angry because the dice rolls ruined your strategy.

Whatever. I'm sure I would enjoy the 1-on-1 no items game if I got into it. One of the great things about Smash Bros. is how many options it gives to let people play how they want.

Tomm Guycot
07-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Pokemon tournament players complain about critical hits!? You're joking!

It's that randomness that makes tournaments FUN. Otherwise it's clear from the outset who is going to win, and all the people who know they aren't might as well just go home. That's no fun at all. You get an honest group of people together, they'll TELL you who the best player is--it's trying to beat him that is enjoyable.

Man, gamers are retarded (non-gamers are too).

Calorie Mate
07-04-2007, 07:05 PM
I hate anyone.

Jeanie
07-04-2007, 11:16 PM
No, see, one of his moves (like Down B) would be to simply change weapons, and he'd have a couple unique ones (standard Buster, maybe Cut Man's scissors, etc.), and then as you defeat enemies in a life, you have more options to cycle through, depending on who you defeated (and the powers you get would work like when Kirby steals them, yeah).

Ah but here's the REAL question: Charge Buster or no? Oh the one hand it would give him a high powered move ala Samus, on the other, people would play him like Samus hanging back and charging up all THE DAMN TIME.

In update news: GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!! (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/bowser.html#3rd) GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER.

But really, wow, that Final Smash is Disgusting. I want it so badly.

Sprite
07-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Ah but here's the REAL question: Charge Buster or no? Oh the one hand it would give him a high powered move ala Samus, on the other, people would play him like Samus hanging back and charging up all THE DAMN TIME.

If Megaman became playable I'd imagine they'd give him a Charge Buster. He'd either be a Samus clone minus the ball move or something like in Marvel vs Capcom. MAN, people got so annoying with that Buster!

Torgo
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.
zomg guyz tehy broke the game sux

Calorie Mate
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
1. The Charge Shot should be included. It would be different from Samus' because you could move while charging, the charge time would be less, and the damage would be weaker. Say, the normal shot does 1% damage, and the Charge does 5 or 10%.

2. OH MAN GIGA BOWSER THIS DAILY UPDATE THING IS KILLING ME.

Coinspinner
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
By pressing and holding the attack button during a smash attack, you can build up power. Power up and unleash it when the time is right!

Was I the only one hoping that wouldn't return? (._.)

TheSL
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Was I the only one hoping that wouldn't return? (._.)

You were hoping the smash attack wouldn't return in a Smash Bros. game?

Kishi
07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd just like to say that I absolutely love the model for armored Samus (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/samus.html). The proportions and details are so much more faithful to her Metroid II and Super Metroid design than what Retro produces.

alexb
07-05-2007, 01:27 PM
She is looking pretty wasp-waisted in the shots from MP3. Other quibbles: It looks like she's got her armor from Metroid Fusion in this third one, but they went and made it all scaly like her normal armor instead of smooth.

Coinspinner
07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
You were hoping the smash attack wouldn't return in a Smash Bros. game?

I was hoping the annoying charging would not return, as I preferred how smashes worked in the original.

Peach
07-06-2007, 10:18 PM
New Twilight Princess-themed map: revealed today (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/stage05.html).

I'm disappointed for a couple of reasons. It's a completely flat bridge with no platforms or edges. It would be completely vanilla were it not for the demolishing monster. The background is also static, though the sunset looks lovely. What I'm most disappointed with though, is that the stage doesn't happen in the twilight. Who doesn't love ambient lighting and music? Granted, they might just not have revealed that part of the level yet.

openedsource
07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
What I'm most disappointed with though, is that the stage doesn't happen in the twilight. Who doesn't love ambient lighting and music? Granted, they might just not have revealed that part of the level yet.

They have mentioned that there will be day/night cycles (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/stage01.html), though. Not sure if that applies to all the stages, or just Battlefield.

Kishi
07-06-2007, 10:48 PM
It seems like every stage will have its own unique type of transition. Battlefield changes from day to night, Delfino Plaza regularly transports you to a different section of the city, Yoshi's Island goes through the four seasons, and so on. Given this, it seems blisteringly obvious that the Bridge of Eldin would shift between light and twilight, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Alastor
07-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I was hoping the annoying charging would not return, as I preferred how smashes worked in the original.

I'd say you're in the minority on that one. Chargeable smash attacks are one of the top reasons (of many) why I can't go back to the original Smash Bros.

This new stage makes me want to see playable Wolf Link+Midna.

Kishi
07-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I wonder if the fact that Link and Zelda's designs are now based on Twilight Princess rather than Ocarina means that Link can go furry but Zelda can no longer transform into a harp-playing ninja boy. Hopefully, they'll just incorporate the best from both worlds, if only so we can see how Sheik's appearance might have been spruced up had he been in the more recent game.

Calorie Mate
07-07-2007, 01:05 AM
I think the stage looks cool...in particular, I like that a chunk of the bridge collapses, and is eventually transported back via Midna's portal. That's just awesome.

Merus
07-07-2007, 03:34 AM
I think the stage looks cool...in particular, I like that a chunk of the bridge collapses, and is eventually transported back via Midna's portal. That's just awesome.
The first thing that came to mind, because I'm a Smash noob, is that there's going to be a lot of players who are going to look at the gap and think it's uncrossable.

Kirin
07-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I imagine a really amusing insta-kill will be managing to knock an opponent over the gap just as the replacement bridge-chunk falls in.

Coinspinner
07-10-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist03/assist03_070710d-l.jpg

I love assist trophies. :D

Calorie Mate
07-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, this one is pretty cool. I like how random and obscure some of them seem to be. I hope, since Snake's in the game, there's a Metal Gear Assist Trophy. Please please please.

I also hope that they're planning on making up for the boring updates from last Thursday and Monday by giving us a new trailer / new main character announcements this week.

Torgo
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
[/img]
That is officially awesome.

Jeanie
07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, this one is pretty cool. I like how random and obscure some of them seem to be. I hope, since Snake's in the game, there's a Metal Gear Assist Trophy. Please please please.

Too bad, you're getting Raiden.

I see they're bringing back the old Bumper from the 64 SSB. Good, I prefer that to the crap-tacular Flipper of the GC.

Calorie Mate
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Too bad, you're getting Raiden.

I see they're bringing back the old Bumper from the 64 SSB. Good, I prefer that to the crap-tacular Flipper of the GC.

No, see, Raiden should be one of Snake's alternate costumes. And so should Snake/BB from MGS3, eye patch and all. MAKE THIS HAPPEN, NINTENDO.

...anyway, the bumper's cool. I really liked it on the N64, don't see why it wouldn't be awesome now.