PDA

View Full Version : The Virtual Tabletop II

pence
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
The long-awaited sequel to The Virtual Tabletop (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=6369), now edited with for-real games!

Let's play these games!

Post in the thread or PM the person running a particular game if you want to play.

Apocalypse World (http://apocalypse-world.com/): pence
Something's wrong with the world and I don't know what it is.

It used to be better, of course it did. In the golden age of legend, when there was enough to eat and enough hope, when there was one nation under god and people could lift their eyes and see beyond the horizon, beyond the day. Children were born happy and grew up rich.

Now that's not what we've got. Now we've got this. The world's psychic maelstrom, the terrible desperation and hate pressing in at the edge of all perception, it is the world now.

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?

Friday, September 9 and/or Friday, September 16, 9:00PM-1:00AM Eastern (6:00PM-10:00PM Pacific). (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=1140180&postcount=211)

The fucking hot characters (Max 5):

Destil
googleshng
kaisel (second week)
namelessentity (tentative)
Nich
Nodal (tentative)
widdershins

Call of Cthulhu (http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=41): kaisel
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

An RPG set in the Cthulhu mythos of HP Lovecraft and several other pulp writers, most stories have one thing in common - people discover the horrifying truth of things, and gradually lose their sanity. The system is BRP, d100, similar to Eclipse Phase which we played last month.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Late September/October (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=1139944&postcount=204)

The hopeless investigators:

Destil
googleshng
Nodal
pence
widdershins

Consider this a clarion call to all the people on Talking Time interested in tabletop RPGs. They deserve wider discussion than the insular and hijacked-by-me D&D campaign thread! I envision this as that thread's more welcoming cousin.

D&D is a crunchy game, and it lends itself to long-term play. What we need, or what I want, is a group of people who like or are curious about RPGs and want to play them online, but don't want to deal with the insane social contract of 'let's meet every week for two years and play the same game'. I want everyone to dust off the RPG books that they never get to play and frolic in the misty meadows of one-shots and short campaigns. There are a couple things to consider there, since this thread didn't take off the first time:

Traditional games are doable, but prep is rather difficult (we're going on half a year of D&D in MapTool and I've had to go back to running modules - the virtual tabletop adds a lot to prep)

Playing online adds difficulties to surmount: a virtual tabletop program solves dice, but not other resolution mechanics (cards for PTA, fudge dice for FATE, etc.)

Premade characters would be a plus, something to lower the effort and time required to start for new players.

Maybe it could be a rotating GM thing, or a 'virtual con' where people run a different table every week. As for what I can bring... I want to run Spirit of the Century but I'm wary of running a game for the first time with all new faces. I have some experience with Old School Hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/), which is free and totally a hippie game (graft PTA's Fan Mail onto OD&D and you'll start to understand).

In conclusion, if you're interested in playing tabletop games like this online, shout it out, opinions and thoughts, etc.

kaisel
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
I might be willing to throw down some dice, though it really depends on days/times/etc (being at least an hour behind most folks makes it a bit of a pain to get things running most weekdays, for example). If there are times I can make it I'd be willing to run or play, though I'm not a real great GM. For me I'd be willing to run D&D4e, Leverage, or Savage Worlds, though I really need to read up on Leverage's rules again.

pence
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Leverage is one I've heard enough buzz about that I want to give it a try. And at least we've still got interest from Nich to play! It might be interesting to set things up like the Let's Play or Fun Club threads, where we have a schedule of games people have offered to run, and players sign up for a time slot. If we enforce one-shots on the schedule, then people won't feel like they can't jump into a game. The hard part is in the details (skype? IRC? virtual tabletops?)

Destil
04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Did Rogers contribute to the the Leverage RPG? Because he's a huge RPG geek. If you haven't go to EnWorld and read his Dark*Matter story hour. No, really, drop whatever you're doing and do this now.

I would also love to check that out.

Balrog
04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I've always wanted to try these but I hate signing up for a long term commitment. If it's one-shots and short campaigns, I'm in.

kaisel
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Did Rogers contribute to the the Leverage RPG? Because he's a huge RPG geek. If you haven't go to EnWorld and read his Dark*Matter story hour. No, really, drop whatever you're doing and do this now.

I would also love to check that out.

He wrote the intro to the game, but I don't think he contributed to the rules and whatnot (as an aside, one of the reasons I picked up Manual of the Planes for 4e, was because Rogers worked on it).

So uh, I'll tentatively schedule a session (holy crap I'm nervous). I'll need to look at my schedule to figure out a good day to do so (especially since we're all pretty scattered across the US, though it'll be at least three weeks from now at the earliest). One of the good things about Leverage is that we can use IRC or Skype for most of it since it doesn't have tactical movement or anything like that, though having some sort of virtual whiteboard would be nice for figuring out plans and whatnot.

So my questions:

How do we want to set up a time? Did we want to try to do something like the fun clubs/Let's Play sections, with GMs posting times they're willing to run a game?
Anyone have a preference for communication methods (IRC? Skype? Maptools?)
Probably getting a list of everyone's time zones would be pretty useful, or at least days folks are available/willing to play.
How do we want to organize games, keep it all in this thread, or set up a separate thread for each game/GM?

Alright, I've blathered enough, I'm pretty excited, over the next couple weeks I'll start writing up what people need to know about the game.

Karzac
04-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I might be able to play, but not run a game.

Luana
04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
D&D is a crunchy game, and it lends itself to long-term play. What we need, or what I want, is a group of people who like or are curious about RPGs and want to play them online, but don't want to deal with the insane social contract of 'let's meet every week for two years and play the same game'.

That's me to a T! I told my interviewer today that I was interested in learning about tabletop RPGs. I wasn't joking.

namelessentity
04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm very curious how that came up in an interview.

I've always been a fan of one-shots. Having a character with long term goals is fun, but you get attached and become complacent. I like the freedom of "if this guy dies I'm out nothing, so better make it a blaze of glory"

I'd be down for things sometime maybe. -5 GMT

pence
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
I always get nervous before running a game - adding in 'new people' and 'strange environment' exacerbates it for sure, so I share your pain. This is like me pulling the band-aid off and trying to actually get something awesome going.

So I'm actually contributing something, I'll offer to run the aforementioned Old School Hack; and I'll cook up some kind of schedule or rules for running games after I get out of work. Seat of my pants!

Lucas
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I'd totally be down for playing in this sort of thing.

poetfox
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I would love to do something like this. The problem tends to be that I work evenings and when I work isn't constant from week to week, so we try to set something up and it goes kaboom.

If I can manage to pull off timing for a one-shot thing? That would be super-cool, though.

(Paranoia, anyone? I'd run it. We could try JParanoia, which I hear is certainly a thing!)

Destil
04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
That's me to a T! I told my interviewer today that I was interested in learning about tabletop RPGs. I wasn't joking.

Hired.

(My boss has been trying to get me to run a 4E game for him and some other friends for a while now, wish I had time for it...)

Googleshng
04-19-2011, 03:55 PM
The long-awaited sequel to The Virtual Tabletop (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=6369).

Consider this a clarion call to all the people on Talking Time interested in tabletop RPGs. They deserve wider discussion than the insular and hijacked-by-me D&D campaign thread! I envision this as that thread's more welcoming cousin.

Woo! I've been considering taking another stab at setting up up a new thread specifically for getting RPG sessions off the ground, but didn't want to come off like a jerk pointing out how you did that to my last one. I honestly kinda ruined it too with all the timing plans for the game I was running.

Might I suggest we impose an actual rule on this one- If some sort of game of something actually gets off the ground, talk of it jumps off to some other thread, keeping this one clean for getting other stuff started?

Playing online adds difficulties to surmount: a virtual tabletop program solves dice, but not other resolution mechanics (cards for PTA, fudge dice for FATE, etc.)

I actually have a project (http://www.kekkai.org/google/toybox/) in the works that handles this sort of thing quite nicely. It's currently seriously offline since my codemonkey got distracted in the middle of some backend restructuring, but the idea is to have an HTML5 based setup where you log in to a webpage, generally get a Maptool sort of interface, with no game rules supported, and ease of importing art assets to make new boards/dice/tokens/cards/whathaveyou on the fly. Last stable version was actually pretty handy... not that it helps at the moment. One of these days though!

I also seem to recall whipping up a quick little perl script at one point for handling a stable deck of cards for multiple people to run an online game of Deadlands once. I wonder if that's still around somewhere.

Maybe it could be a rotating GM thing, or a 'virtual con' where people run a different table every week. As for what I can bring... I want to run Spirit of the Century but I'm wary of running a game for the first time with all new faces. I have some experience with Old School Hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/), which is free and totally a hippie game (graft PTA's Fan Mail onto OD&D and you'll start to understand).

In conclusion, if you're interested in playing tabletop games like this online, shout it out, opinions and thoughts, etc.

I'm generally down for playing any RPG, at any given point, so long as that point isn't on saturdays (2 regular games as is stretching from 4 eastern to midnight between'em). Bonus points if it's not D&D.

I MIGHT be down for some sort of rotating GM thing if it's like, 4 people each running one session a month or something, but that's pretty much the limit on my currently available prep time.

pence
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM
"This thread is only for discussing single sessions" is an excellent rule. Not that campaigns can't occur, they'd just have to get negotiated separately and turned into a new thread. I'm picturing stuff like con games, one person explains the game and preps anything they require, and runs it for a table of X people in a predetermined slot of time. (whatever is appropriate for the game, here; ideally we won't have to cram people in because there will be a steady supply of games coming down the pipe)

The thing I can't figure out is whether this should be a regular time (every other Thursday from 7:00-12:00 EST is Talking Time Game Night!) or a neutral meeting ground for people to create games. Maybe a standard format for advertising games (Time, System, Players, What to bring...)

Oh, I want to play Paranoia! That seems pretty ideal as far as shortform games go.

kaisel
04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
The thing I can't figure out is whether this should be a regular time (every other Thursday from 7:00-12:00 EST is Talking Time Game Night!) or a neutral meeting ground for people to create games. Maybe a standard format for advertising games (Time, System, Players, What to bring...)

While I'd love to have a sort of weekly Talking Time Game Night, I'm not sure it's feasible for everyone. 7:00 EST for example is in my workday, and if I tried setting up a game for folks on the East Coast, for example, it'd be way too late for most people to join in if they have work in the morning.

My preference would be to use this thread to schedule one-shots and the like, so something like:

GM: Poster
System: Game
Time: Available times
Method of Communication: IRC/Skype/Maptools/Whatever
What to Bring: Dice/Winning Personality/etc

Though I can see the thread getting cluttered with all the coordination, maybe take it to PMs or something to discuss specific times?

Red Hedgehog
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
This is an awesome idea, and since I'm about to get an ICONS game going with some other friends and have never run it before, getting some experience in it by running a one-shot might be nice. So yeah, ICONS, it's a rules-light super hero RPG. And I'd love to play some of these games, too.

pence
04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Point taken, it would be good to let people define their own times, although I still like the idea of putting some structure to it; at the very least, no one should run 'Virtual Tabletop II' games during anyone else's time. I'd love to make it a little more ritualistic than just having a classified space to advertise games, but with enough flexibility and openness that people filter in and out and it sustains itself and grows. I'm thinking an atmosphere like a school's game club, or your FLGS, but with more breadth (here, it's D&D [any flavor], so I envy anyone who has more options!)

Anyway, I should probably let it ride for tonight, but here's everyone who has expressed interest, in alphabetical order:
Balrog
Destil
Googleshng
Karzac
kaisel
Luana
Lucas
namelessentity
Nich
pence
poetfox
Red Hedgehog

And people who mentioned specific games:

kaisel
D&D
Leverage
Savage Worlds

pence
Old School Hack (by certain definitions of Old School)
Spirit of the Century

poetfox
Paranoia

Red Hedgehog
ICONS

Now, if only someone could figure out how to work an online Jenga tower for Dread...

kaisel
04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Point taken, it would be good to let people define their own times, although I still like the idea of putting some structure to it; at the very least, no one should run 'Virtual Tabletop II' games during anyone else's time. I'd love to make it a little more ritualistic than just having a classified space to advertise games, but with enough flexibility and openness that people filter in and out and it sustains itself and grows. I'm thinking an atmosphere like a school's game club, or your FLGS, but with more breadth (here, it's D&D [any flavor], so I envy anyone who has more options!)

The more I think about it, the more I like having a little more structure, trying to get a FLGS or game club atmosphere. Maybe get a couple of days that people can make it and schedule those for game days? I think it'd also be kinda cool if people in addition to their "looking for game" message, would post the character sheets and such, or link to them, so people can game vicariously or something.

And I'll try to work with people for scheduling times, since I know Alaska time is kind of annoying to deal with, there are a few things I might be able to do to make meeting times a little easier.

pence
04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Google Wave seems like a potential platform for play, although I'm probably months behind on the internet rendering its judgment on its usefulness in this regard.

How do people feel about people signing up to run/demo games on a per-week basis? So the OP would be updated with something like:

Week of 5/1
Old School Hack, pence, 4 players - Thursday 5/5 7:00PM-11:00PM EST
?
?
?
?

Week of 5/8
Apocalypse World, rpg guy, 3 players - Monday 5/9 6:00PM - 12:00AM PST
?
?
?

Week of 5/15

As always - thoughts, comments, etc.

widdershins
04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I would definitely be down for joining in on the fun, regardless of the system. I tend to be available most evenings (pacific time), or all day on thursdays and fridays.

I'm very curious how that came up in an interview.

She was interviewing for a job at a comic/game store.

EDIT: I'm totally down for old school hack, if'n there's space available.

poetfox
04-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Let it be clear that I'm interested in a wide variety of tabletop experiences! I just love Paranoia and as pence said, it is perfectly suited for one-shot sessions. And it and 4th Edition are basically my only GMing experiences, really, so that's what I know.

You know, something like Penny for My Thoughts might be cool to do, too.

Anyway, as far as scheduling, I think that could work if this really gets going, pence, but that's the sort of thing where you want to make sure you take it slow, at first, to make sure it has momentum and whatnot.

Alpha Werewolf
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I would be so down for this if timezones didn't kill my chances of playing with most of you guys, but put me down just in case. I only have experience with D&D 3.5th and I know the rules for 4th somewhat, but I wouldn't mind learning new systems.

As for playing platforms: Why not something with microphone support?

Nodal
04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I want in on this so hard.

pence
04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I'm picturing Skype running in the background for most games - our D&D solution has been Maptool + Skype. This should also work for something like Penny for My Thoughts (as poet mentioned), which requires a solution that lets you push tokens around to different people and talk.

Also it's awesome to see that there's actually demand for something like this!

benjibot
04-21-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm totally interested in this sort of thing at some point provided I can carve the time out of my schedule (much easier now that I don't work evenings).

Has anyone tried VASSAL? I was just told it is possible to play WarMachine and Hordes online with it. If it can handle a war-game I'd think it ought to be capable of RPGs. http://www.vassalengine.org/

Lucas
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I've been using VASSAL for Ascension lately. Despite some bugginess, it mostly works pretty well. I know there's Axis & Allies mods that my friends are all excited about, but I didn't think to look for Hordes.

Now, as for your actual question, yes, if someone made a generic fantasy game mod for VASSAL you could probably play an RPG on it. I'm having trouble imagining a VASSAL module holding a candle to a dedicated RPG virtual tabletop like Maptools, though - adding your own maps, including a fog of war, zooming, personalized macros, and dynamic HP displays are a handful of examples of things Maptools can do that, from what I can tell, would be a pain in the ass at best to do in VASSAL.

Comb Stranger
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
My friends use Vassal for 40k, but it's apparently a pain because you can't save army lists. Dunno how it'd work out for pen & paper.

And I'd play Spirit, though I'd have to pick up a headset first. My old set snapped in half.

kaisel
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Pence: I agree with poetfox about scheduling, when we get going, and people get a handle on their schedules (so people know what days people are likely to play), I think doing a weekly or biweekly "game day" would be great. For now though, I think we should just get something started, so let's see how this works:

I know that if I procrastinate too much longer, that I'm going to just not follow through so:

Time:: Late May to Mid-June (what day works well for people?), I'm on Alaska Time, so weekends would tend to work better for me, because the earliest I could start would be 5:30pm AKDT on weekdays, which gets late for some folks. Worst case I can try to take a day of leave or something though.
System: Leverage
Players: 3-6
Platform: Skype +...Something? Google Wave or Maptools perhaps, though not entirely sold. If folks just want to use text, I'm cool with that too.

System Introduction (http://www.kaiselstudios.com/blog/?page_id=575)

Does this seem reasonable enough?

pence
04-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Sweet!
WE'RE MAKING THIS HAPEN

PM me if you're interested in either of these dates, lemme know which one you're interested in (or both), and anything I might need to know:

Time: Tuesday, May 3 and/or Thursday, May 5 9:00PM-1:00AM Eastern (6:00PM-10:00PM Pacific).
Maybe two games, on both days if a lot of people are jumping for this! Times are flexible but I'm trying to hit a big swath of people who also have lives outside of games here. I know that going past midnight on a weeknight can be shaky for people who don't live alone like myself :P
System: Old School Hack (http://www.oldschoolhack.net/) (free ~20 page pdf)
"A table-top roleplaying system that's a hack of a hack of the original Red Box version of a certain popular hack-and-slash fantasy game. That's a lot of hacking."
Players: 2-4, 1 GM
Platform: Skype (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/) + Maptool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads). Both are available in Mac flavors, too!

Nodal
04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Fuck yeah old school hack.

pence
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm also in for Leverage, I can do the late night as long as I know the day in advance.

Oh, and I'm unofficially adding InSpectres to my list of future one-shots...

Destil
04-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm so down for Leverage.

There's something I'd like to run, but it's most likely too cumbersome and rules-heavy for an effective one-shot. Not to mention self indulgent. Still... I may be able to polish it a bit.

Nodal
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I'll do Leverage too.

kaisel
04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm down for Pence's game, Thursday May 5th, if you don't mind me being a bit late, I get home from work at around 5:15pm AKDT, and I'm only an hour behind Pacific time.

Do Tuesdays/Thursdays work for most people? Destil, Nodal, Nich what day works best for you? I'll edit my post tonight (my D&D game was canceled, so I'll channel it into writing up Leverage stuff) for more definitive information.

Nodal
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
At the times you listed, I'm ok with any time.

pence
04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Yep, I'm the same way. I kind of like the weeknight thing. I'll update the first post in the thread to get some sort of ticker of upcoming events rolling, with Old School Hack early in May and Leverage in late May.

Looking back over Nich's original post, I saw Sorcerer mentioned... man, I'm intimidated by that game. I want to try it, but that seems like something for later down the line. From what I know about it, it lends itself more to continued play than a one-shot. I'd also screw up the rules royally the first time. :D

Balrog
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm interested in the Tues or Thurs Hack night.

Googleshng
04-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm down for all of the above, although wow those player slots seem to have filled in quick here.

Red Hedgehog
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm kind of fantasy-ed out, so as cool as Old School Hack sounds, I think I'd rather play Leverage. Tuesday night works best.

namelessentity
04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Can I get an explanation of what Leverage entails? You are probably already filled up, but I'm still curious.

kaisel
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Can I get an explanation of what Leverage entails? You are probably already filled up, but I'm still curious.

I'll post something more in depth later, but Leverage is basically a game about heists and con games, the heroes generally work together to con the bad guy, to provide restitution to the victim, who usually has no other recourse.

The game itself seems fairly simple, there are five roles (Hacker, Hitter, Grifter, Thief, Mastermind) in the game, and each character will have a d4 at least in each role (which are sort of like your attributes), and these are kind of paired with attributes (things like intelligence, agility, etc), so if you're trying to create an explosion to take out a van or something, you might roll Hitter + Agility, whereas if you're trying to just blow up a lock, you could roll Thief + Agility.

I'd classify it more as a story-game, when you "fail" a roll, you still generally succeed, you just introduce a complication (so if you roll badly for a fight, you still win the fight, it just might have taken too long, or you're exhausted because it was a pretty nasty brawl).

I'll go a little more in depth with the mechanics later tonight, when I'm off work.

Destil
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I run my game every Tuesday. I play rogue trader every-other Thursday, but half the time I'm free.

widdershins
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm down for Thursday, whatever the game ends up being, provided there's still room.

poetfox
04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
I work most, but not all, Tuesday and Thursday nights. I may be able to, but I wouldn't be able to give more than a week's notice because my work is awesome like that. Frankly, just about every night might be screwed over by my ever-shifting work schedule. I'm so lucky!

But if I get confirmation I can, and you still have a slot, I will try to be there!

kaisel
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I run my game every Tuesday. I play rogue trader every-other Thursday, but half the time I'm free.

It's a bit far in advance, is your Rogue Trader game (I might be joining/starting/playing in a Rogue Trader game in the near future actually) going to be the week of the May 19th or May 26th?

I think I'm going to pull a Pence and possibly run two games, one on a Tuesday, the other on a Thursday, since it looks like there's at least 6 people interested, ideally we can get enough people for like four per game or something.

Lucas
04-22-2011, 05:28 PM
If you do run two games of it, I'll take a spot.

pence
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
So I updated the first post to include some info about the two games we have up for grabs, as well as a little flavor to key people into what's cool about both of them. I tried to surmise which games people were interested in and put them in The Party (Old School Hack) and The Crew (Leverage). Obviously, these aren't mutually exclusive!

Obvious future improvements I'm noting for my own benefit would be specifying groups for my two days so people know what they're doing, and creating a skype chat so people have a common meeting place.

pence
04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
*nod*, once I give it another day or so, and I'm sure people have seen the thread, I'll actually divide some groups. I'm reluctant to put people in both days right away even though I'm otherwise cool with it, since it could crowd out the second game for latecomers. And a few people have specified Thursday over Tuesday.

kaisel
04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I'll just keep editing my initial post about the Leverage set up with more information, but I've added a link to a kind of system introduction for the game that I wrote. It's kinda lengthy, but hopefully provides a decent enough explanation of the system.

And given the interest in Leverage, I'll try to run two games, we'll see how the first one goes, and if people even want me to run another one, heh.

pence
04-22-2011, 10:35 PM
That looks pretty awesome, it definitely looks like FATE got stirred up into the system. Way cooler than the Serenity RPG.

Red Hedgehog
04-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Okay, here's my entry into the fray:

Time: Monday, May 2 and/or Tuesday, May 3 9:00PM-1:00AM Eastern (6:00PM-10:00PM Pacific).
Possibly I could run a game on both days if there is enough interest. I'm on the east coast so I really want to finish by 1am.
System: ICONS ($29.99 for book + PDF (http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=7670380&Currency=USD), $14.95 for PDF only (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=81475). Note that if you buy the book in your FLGS you can email a scan of your receipt to Adamant Entertainment to get the PDF for free) - No one besides me really needs the rulebook. I'll have copies of the dozen or so tables needed to play the game ready by the gaming session.
What kid raised in recent generations hasn’t pretended to be a superhero at some point: worn a cape, “flown” around, bounced imaginary bullets or shot “blasts of power” from hands or eyes? Why not? After all, the superhero is the perfect modern fantasy: powerful, respected, and loved by the public, but with a message of responsibility, duty, truth, and justice that appeals to parents as well as kids. In countless comic books (and now “graphic novels”), cartoons, and live-action television shows and films, superheroes continue to thrill and capture our imagination while also celebrating some of our better qualities. Who wouldn’t want to be a hero?

With ICONS, you can be!

Steve Kenson, the designer of the best-selling Mutants & Masterminds delivers a superpowered new role-playing game, inspired by the fast-playing old-school games and the new generation of narrative role-play!

10 Things to like about the ICONS RPG (http://greywulf.net/2010/06/10-things-to-like-about-the-icons-rpg/)
Players: 3-5 + 1 GM
Platform: Skype (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/) + Maptool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads). Both are available in Mac flavors, too!
Comic:
Superhero Team-Up #86: The Skeletron Key
A demonstration of Avatar Industries' new SPARTAN (SPecial ARmored TANk) battlesuit for the military goes horribly wrong, leading the heroes into an adventure involving mercenaries, missing scientists, a dying corporate magnate, and a top-secret neural network research project that is far, far more than it was ever intended to be...

OR

Superhero Team-Up #121: Sins of the Past
They were the first to take up the mantle - the original article. When the world needed heroes, the Golden Agents rose to the challenge. But time and tide wait for no man (or woman), and the years are finally catching up to the living legends. Is it as simple as that, or is something sinister afoot?

Maybe I'll do both if we end up doing this on two days.

Nodal
04-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I'll sign up for the first of that.

pence
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Phew! That's a lot of gaming in one week, but I'll also throw my hat in for Monday to play some superheroes. I'm going to need to make sure I have an ample supply of caffeine.

I'll edit the first post to include Red's games, too.

Oh, I also sat down and watched the episodes of Leverage available online so I could really get an idea of what it's about. Playing a game because you're a fan of the show is nerdy, but going in the reverse direction might be nerdier :P

Lucas
04-23-2011, 12:30 PM
That's a lot of people for Leverage. If two groups of five is too much (I don't know if Kaisel was aiming for at least four per group or exactly four per group) I'd be fine sitting this one out; I was the last one to sign up anyway.

ICONS sounds like fun. I've been on a superhero kick lately. If we can make our own characters I might end up playing my character as Wild Tiger (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12198) in personality (and possibly awesome PSO CAST-style armor), so fair warning on that.

pence
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Well, five would be the size of the crew from the show, so there's that, but I'm not going to put words in kaisel's mouth. I know I enjoy running games for smaller groups (most of high school I was running and playing D&D with two other people).

Edit: I also realized that futzing around with making sure port forwarding was set up on my router added two hours to the first session I ran in maptool, so it might be worth testing beforehand for people who are hosting servers!

kaisel
04-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Two groups of five should be fine for Leverage, it has coverage over each role, and it matches the show. I'll have more information about plots and the like hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

And good idea Pence, I'll be making sure everything's working for Maptools/Skype before my gaming day.

pence
04-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Also a good point, I haven't got any particular scenario planned. If I can't find a decent random situation generator, I'll cook something up so people know what they're doing. Reading that the designer of the game imagines Shadow over Mystara to be how the game 'looks' automatically brings stuff to mind.

pence
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I just updated the first post, dividing the people interested in Old School Hack into two groups. I haven't put many people in the ICONS list, so right now it's only myself, Lucas and Nodal in there. That's actually coming up the day before Old School Hack, and possibly sharing a day. I'm not going to clutter up the first post with more stuff from me, but if no one else fills the middle of May I'll play that by ear, as well.

It would be helpful if people started adding me on skype so I can make a Virtual Tabletop group there. Either PM me with a name you don't mind other people having on skype, or add me as 'christopher_reimer' from West Chester and let me know you're from TT. :]

kaisel
04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey kaisel, will I need the Leverage RPG book for your game? I don't mind buying it, because it sounds cool, but thought I'd ask first.

I don't think so. I think the rules are simple enough that I can describe 'em, I plan on throwing up another couple of primers on it in the next few days (I forgot to talk about a couple of other cool things). If I'm writing the rules and such up, and it seems more complicated I'll let everyone know, but for now, no need to buy it.

Red Hedgehog
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey guys,

Looks like three people are interested in superhero shenanigans. Can we agree between the four of us whether Monday or Tuesday night works best?

Also, leaning toward The Skeltron Key as the comic I'll be running.

And I'd be willing to take up to five players if other people still want in.

pence
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, for me I'm leaning toward Monday because I have Tuesday and Thursday handled booked from before (didn't want to combine six people into one session). I also have Lucas, Red Hedgehog, namelessentity and Destil in a Virtual Tabletop skype group. I got a random call this morning but I don't think it was from anyone here :P

edit: 'handled'? That's not what I meant to say!

Nodal
04-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Monday, for sure.

Lucas
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Apparently my Tuesday's already taken, but Monday works for me.

Red Hedgehog
04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Monday it is then. Pence, could you update the original post to reflect this? And any further stuff will be spun off into its own thread.

pence
04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Got it, I just changed the first post. Next week shall be known as the week of many games!

Nodal
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I WILL PLAY ALL THE GAMES

ALL OF THEM

IN EVERY GAME I WILL PLOT YOUR DOWNFALL. YOUR +ITEMS WILL TURN TO ASHES IN YOUR MOUTH.

Lucas
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I bet at least one of these games is going to be worthy of an LP-style gameplay journal.

Googleshng
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM

ALL OF THEM

Ditto. What's Icons though? Apparently I missed something somewhere.

Lucas
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM

ALL OF THEM

Speaking of which, I hadn't realized there were so few people on the Old School Hack list for two games. I'll join one of them. I'm mildly biased towards playing Tuesday night (Thursday night is normally reserved for "oh god oh god I need to do this week's LP update" times) but if Poetfox has a preference I'll go with whatever she doesn't want.

Red Hedgehog
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Ditto. What's Icons though? Apparently I missed something somewhere.

See the first post or this one (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=1034543&postcount=58).

Googleshng
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Huh. OK, I somehow mentally combined that and Leverage it seems. But anyway, also totally down for!

And... was the deal with all of these to do one-shots with pregen characters, or am I going to be spending my weekend flipping through quickstart rules?

pence
04-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Old School Hack will have half-gens provided, which is what I'd consider the default mode for that game anyway. No point buy, there are seven archetypes and you roll stats, pick a power, pick equipment, and write down an adventuring goal. I'll think of a way to get the sheets into an easily-sharable format.

Lucas
04-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I think Red said we'll be generating our own characters. Should only take a few minutes though, since chargen is almost totally randomized in that game.

Red Hedgehog
04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, ideally I can set up a script in Maptools that does all the character rolling so the setup time will be figuring out what kind of superhero you are with all those powers.

Googleshng
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Justifying randomly determined powers you say? I seriously spent far too much time with that Other Super Hero RPG way back when just making stacks of characters for the sheer fun of doing that. So yay.

Googleshng
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I have a character rolled up and ready to go.

Seriously, someone dared me to play Maid like 2 years ago and then just kinda chickened out on GMing it. Came out pretty impressively Wrong too! I... actually can't find the sheet right now, but it basically came out to "Huge boobed evil dominatrix with perfect Head Maid stats who is secretly the master's brother."

Come to think of it, that may be WHY the GM chickened out, and could be considered good reason for me to roll something else up if someone gets something going here.

Googleshng
04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Still yes.

Also, 2-4? I think you really need at least 3 just for the sake of here's the person trying to seduce the master, here's the person trying to stop them and getting pounded into the carpet because their stats suck, here's the person distracting everyone by calling for a roll on that one table where an army of ninjas might potentially attack the mansion for no reason.

On the other hand, finding 3 players for this is tough.

Lucas
04-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I'll take a low-priority claim on it. If you need someone to fill out a team I'd be happy to do it, but I want to encourage anyone who hasn't played it before to do so now.

Nodal
04-29-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll do it. You'll rue this day, Nich.

pence
04-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Aw heck, I want some of this Maid insanity, I've heard about it on podcasts plenty of times. I'll update the first post :]

poetfox
04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
If there's room, I really want to try Maid. I will do my best to be available if I can have a spot.

Dizzy
04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Wait, me me me? Can me still join?

Dizzy
04-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Hm. Well, in that case, I'll start my own Maid game!

Sign-ups will begin now. Game will start the 16th of May, like Nich's.

Dizzy
04-30-2011, 01:24 PM
What? There can't be two games? If there is a demand for two games, market logic says meet the demand.

Lucas
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Man, do we really need this kind of drama here?

Alpha Werewolf
04-30-2011, 02:52 PM
You guys have no idea how sad I am that 9 PM EST is 5 AM around here. I'd be totally down for ICONS.

(Not too sure about Maid. The concept intrigues me, admittedly)

Lucas
05-02-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm taking that netsplit as the internet's way of pointing out to me it's way, way past my bedtime and I need to get off the computer. I'll have to finish making the Cutest Goblin Ever tomorrow.

(I'll write up Jack "the" Dirk and post him in the ICONS thread for approval in the morning.)

pence
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
We're almost through week 1 in Virtual Tabletop, with at least one other game coming down the pipe in the form of Leverage. The two games so far have been awesome, and I'm definitely offering something up in June as well. I'm also curious to see if the games that start here keep rolling, and whether that affects the number of people interested in picking up and finding new games.

We've also got a diverse array of genres, from fantasy to supers to heist, which is great. I want to keep things open so new people can jump in and play a Virtual Tabletop game with no experience. So far, giving games their own thread has worked well - ICONS might turn into a mini-campaign thing, or at least one other outing.

poetfox
05-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Thing I will do:

A Penny For My Thoughts (http://www.orphicinstitute.com/).

This is a very free-form game of storytelling. Everyone in the game has amnesia, and through the application of Mnemosyne, will work together in order to recover their memories, which have been locked away due to a tragic event. To play, you will mostly be ad-libing stories based on other player's prompts and input. Since playing the game basically involves reading the entire rulebook aloud, as part of the Mnemosyne Memory Recovery System, there's no pre-preparation involved on anyone's part. No rolling characters, or reading rules. It'll be taken care of.

My work schedule, as I feel I keep mentioning in this thread, sucks because I don't know it in advance, so I'm not going to be able to confirm a night until a bit before the week in which I run the thing. In any case, I'd love to pencil in the last week of May (starting on the 22nd) and see how things go when it gets closer to time and I know when I'm free.

Penny is a game for a small group, so I'm probably only going to have, oh, three people plus me? (Penny is also a game where the GM just has a few extra duties, and contributes just like any other player, so that's cool.) Any more than that will make the game very long. Think about your level of interest, and when I know when I can do it, I'll announce a date and we'll try it, hm? We probably won't need anything besides Skype to play the game, and maybe a Google Doc that's open to everyone to edit or something along those lines. If anyone has an idea, let me know, but it'll be playable without too many fancy tools.

If you have any questions, or if this is going to end up stepping on kaisel's Leverage action (and if so, we'll definitely move it) let me know.

This game session brought to you by the Orphic Institute of Advanced Studies. The Orphic Institute: Bringing the Truth out of Darkness™

pence
05-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Ooh, I don't wanna get greedy about playing in every game, but I'm interested in playing any scenario in Penny, up to and including the standard facts and reassurances document.

poetfox
05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Heh, okay, in this thread, the Leverage says a very vague time, but it's specifically that week in the other Leverage only thread, so maybe pushing my plan back a week is a good idea. Maybe let's say first week of June then?

kaisel
05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Heh, okay, in this thread, the Leverage says a very vague time, but it's specifically that week in the other Leverage only thread, so maybe pushing my plan back a week is a good idea. Maybe let's say first week of June then?

Crap, I forgot to update this thread with that information. I think the only definite date for Leverage is the 26th of May, because of Destil's schedule. I can postpone the other Leverage session for a week or two, if that'd make things easier for you.

pence
05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I forgot to update the first post, as well! As of a few minutes ago I have Monday, May 23 and Thursday, May 26.

poetfox
05-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I was basically picking a week at random! So no, I'm not married to the last week of May. It just seemed a good distance from now to get a grip on what I was doing, etc. But I'm sure many people are interested in all the games and such, so it's silly to cannibalize, potentially, one game or another when I was just pulling a week out of thin air. A week later is no problem at all. I'm as likely to have good nights free that week as the week before.

Red Hedgehog
05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I would love to play in Penny for Your Thoughts. But am involved in a lot right now so if there is a lot of interest, I would be willing to drop out.

Lucas
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Pence mentioned a game earlier that I think would be perfect for this thread: Dogs in the Vineyard. I wouldn't want to try running it myself, having never played it and not being as familiar with the setting as I'd like, but - assuming I'm not being presumptuous in requesting games - if anyone else is willing to run a session or two of it I'd be the first to sign up.

Googleshng
05-05-2011, 04:12 AM
OK, I think I might have to throw my hat into the oneshot GM ring. Looks like there's a great big open spot around...

Tuesday, May 17th, same time of night as all these other things.

Glistening Chests (http://www.world-domination-llc.com/games/partyrpgs/glisteningchests.shtml)

Ideal player count: 3-6

Basic Gist: It's a lot like Maid actually, but instead of wacky harem anime, it's cheesy Sword & Sorcery movies/Boris Vallejo art, and instead of constant random tables of insanity, there's a bunch of skills as absurdly special as the one whose only purpose is for when the Evil Wizard guy does his whole magic rod thing to make everyone kneel before him you keep standing. This here? Pretty much this sorta thing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC7_GEMZ9pk&feature=related)

What you need going in: There really should be some official quickstart rules at this point... quick and dirty fix! (http://www.kekkai.org/google/glistening-chests-quick-char-gen.pdf) Basically, you can either be a Mighty Warrior (read: barbarian) and just generally run around lopping heads off and knocking up bar wenches and sacrificial virgins, or a Warrior Woman, who isn't as good at the head lopping (or the virgin impregnating), but can do various things to solve the few problems brute force can't (read: rogue, more or less). Ideally, you want a 2:1 or 3:1 gender ratio going on, with everyone playing whichever they're less comfortable with.

Lucas
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm down for that. I'll be the first Mighty Warrior to join the cause, I suppose.

kaisel
05-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I'd be down for that, and the 17th works perfectly for me. I'll go for Mighty Warrior as well, though if you're really serious about taking the one you'd be more uncomfortable with, I can go for Warrior Woman instead (if no one else wants it).

pence
05-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Updating the first post to include Glistening Chests and Penny for My Thoughts, now that we're through week one! We've got a pretty decent season of games lined up now.

I'm thinking about DitV, but not ready to announce anything yet. That seems better to run as a short campaign so the fallout really matters.

pence
05-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Double-posting so I can gauge interest in different games; I already know I've got interest in Spirit of the Century and Dogs in the Vineyard. I also want to throw XXXXtreme STREET LUGE (http://benlehman.livejournal.com/147309.html) into the mix, as a GM-less game with fewer than 1000 words of rules:

Your character is an extreme street luger. They vaguely resemble vin diesel. Pick three characteristics (build, coloring, haircut, attitude, eyes, hands, voice) in which your character resembles Vin Diesel. In all other ways, they do not resemble Vin Diesel at all. Pick which ones apply.

You don't actually play a race. You just play the aftermath of a race, where you all review what happened over cheap beer at a someone's house. The person whose house it is is who-ever won the race.

Then you have to deal with daily life. You have three things you want. These can be things like:
1) Get into community college.
2) Ask the hot girl at the club on a date.
3) Move out of my mom's basement.

etc.

Once we hit an open week in June I'm looking at one of these three.

Googleshng
05-07-2011, 01:08 PM
If the subtext is "which would you prefer I run?" Dogs is something I've been repeatedly urged to check out some time.

poetfox
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I always assumed I'd like Dogs in the Vineyard, since I really do enjoy Kill Puppies For Satan and thus the cut of the author's jib, but I've never checked it out. I know it's pretty free-form though, yes? Or... what? I guess I don't have a good grasp of what it's actually all about.

pence
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I'm gauging interest, I'll edit the post to make that clearer.

Oh, and to celebrate the fact that this thread is now on the second page of search results for "Glistening Chests" on Google (the search engine, not the person), I want to play in that. As someone who tilts toward the higher end of the Kinsey Scale, I'm assuming that Mighty Warrior would be the most uncomfortable, what with all the virgin impregnating. But hey, being a Warrior Woman with no musculature and a heaving chest is probably about the same.

Googleshng
05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, either way you have to embrace a lot of horrible. I should probably follow the recent trend and make a thread with some info dumpery in it, if only to better explain what some more obscure skills do.

Dizzy
05-07-2011, 03:18 PM
OK, I think I might have to throw my hat into the oneshot GM ring. Looks like there's a great big open spot around...

Tuesday, May 17th, same time of night as all these other things.

Glistening Chests (http://www.world-domination-llc.com/games/partyrpgs/glisteningchests.shtml)

Ideal player count: 3-6

Basic Gist: It's a lot like Maid actually, but instead of wacky harem anime, it's cheesy Sword & Sorcery movies/Boris Vallejo art, and instead of constant random tables of insanity, there's a bunch of skills as absurdly special as the one whose only purpose is for when the Evil Wizard guy does his whole magic rod thing to make everyone kneel before him you keep standing. This here? Pretty much this sorta thing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC7_GEMZ9pk&feature=related)

What you need going in: There really should be some official quickstart rules at this point... quick and dirty fix! (http://www.kekkai.org/google/glistening-chests-quick-char-gen.pdf) Basically, you can either be a Mighty Warrior (read: barbarian) and just generally run around lopping heads off and knocking up bar wenches and sacrificial virgins, or a Warrior Woman, who isn't as good at the head lopping (or the virgin impregnating), but can do various things to solve the few problems brute force can't (read: rogue, more or less). Ideally, you want a 2:1 or 3:1 gender ratio going on, with everyone playing whichever they're less comfortable with.

put me down

kaisel
05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Double-posting so I can gauge interest in different games; I already know I've got interest in Spirit of the Century and Dogs in the Vineyard. I also want to throw XXXXtreme STREET LUGE (http://benlehman.livejournal.com/147309.html) into the mix, as a GM-less game with fewer than 1000 words of rules:

Once we hit an open week in June I'm looking at one of these three.

I meant to post this earlier, but I'd be down for Dogs or Spirit of the Century.

Dizzy
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
put me down

On second thought, cut me off.

Nodal
05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Count me in for Glistening manly men.

Luana
05-10-2011, 12:25 AM
I might be able to do poet's game. Pencil me in for now and we'll see?

Googleshng
05-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Oh hey, I somehow missed Poet's game getting tossed in there. I'm... probably down for it. Sounds weird, which is always good, and I am generally able to find time for these whenever.

pence
05-10-2011, 06:57 AM
There's a lot of buy-in for this from the get go, so I'm feeling pretty solid about it. We've had some great goofy games during our awkward 'getting to know you' phase, let's go for something more serious in round 2:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ldvig9.jpg

Roleplaying God's Watchdogs in a West that never quite was

Time: Tuesday, June 7 or Thursday, June 9 9:00PM-1:00AM Eastern (6:00PM-10:00PM Pacific).
Maybe two games, on both days again!
System: Dogs in the Vineyard (http://www.lumpley.com/dogsources.html)
"Dogs in the Vineyard is about God’s Watchdogs, young men and women called to preserve the Faithful in a hostile frontier territory. They travel from town to isolated town, carrying mail, news, and doctrine, healing the sick, supporting the weary, and pronouncing judgment upon the wicked. One early playtester said what she loves about the game: a town welcomes you with celebration and honor, but what you’re there to do is stir up its dirt and lay bare its sins."
Players: 2-4, 1 GM
Platform: Skype (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/) + Maptool (version b76) (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads). Both are available in Mac flavors, too!

shivam
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
oh man, i'm so there. tues is better for me.

kaisel
05-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm down for this, though I don't know which day works better for me, as soon as I know, I'll pass it along.

Lucas
05-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm officially down for that.

Red Hedgehog
05-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I would like to try Dogs, but I have no clue what my schedule might be like. :(

widdershins
05-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I am so down for thursday if there's room.

Googleshng
05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd prefer the Tuesday on this one, since that Thursday is my birthday.

That and I don't think there's any upcoming holidays to knock my giant netflix wads out of their current monday/thursday schedule.

Nodal
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm down for whichever pence.

pence
05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I'll think about what I want to put into the spinoff thread for this. There are definitely two groups here, and it might be interesting to have someone experienced (hi, shivam!) go through character creation on the boards to show off the conflict mechanics. I'm torn, since I'm a huge fan of making characters at the table, lately.

Maybe spin off an IRC channel, even. Thinking out loud! Slow day at work!

kaisel
05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
IRC channel would be cool. And just going over character creation once is always a good start, even if we do make characters at the table. Gives a little bit of a background.

pence
05-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Hm... pondering adding the prior Sunday to handle smaller groups. So, Sunday, June 5. Since Nich, Umby and Wolfgang have all expressed interest. And that'll keep games to a lean 3-4 players.

(I must be crazy)

Googleshng
05-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Glistening Chests: Googleshng

Tuesday, May 17 (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=1045434&postcount=112), 9:00PM - 1:00AM Eastern (6:00PM - 10:00PM Pacific)

The Boris Vellejo Models:
kaisel
Lucas
Nodal
pence

Oh hey! My game is the first one scary enough not to practically instantly fill the sign-up sheet. Was anyone else planning to hop in at the last minute with this? Doing some last minute prep work here over the weekend and a definite player count helps. Honestly, it's an easy system to scale up if someone literally hops in at the last minute, but there's one adventure feature I'm only going to bother including if things bloat up to 5 or 6 in the next 24 hours.

Also, if those who are definitely playing feel like wandering over to this thread here (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=11765) and making their characters now-ish, that'd be handy.

pence
05-15-2011, 09:56 PM
We ended up having a small game of Penny for My Thoughts with just poetfox, Googleshng and myself this evening. Lucas spectated, and we might have a recording running about 90 minutes for anyone interested in actual play, awkward pauses and all. But... I won't make promises I can't keep.

kaisel
05-17-2011, 10:25 AM
So with the Leverage game a week away, I'd really like all the interested folks to schedule the day that they'd prefer to play, either Tuesday, the 24th or Thursday the 26th next week, preferably in the Leverage thread. I know Nich and Destil have arranged their days, but I'd like five per day, as that works best. I'll update the other thread as well with some other instructions (like which roles have been taken, so we don't end up with five masterminds or something).

pence
06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes, hello! I volunteered to run two games of Dogs in the Vineyard, this week - Tuesday and Thursday. I'm posting here for my own benefit, as much as anything else, to remind everyone that I need to be on Skype and IRC to run some games at 9PM EST on those days for these people:

Googleshng
kaisel
Lucas
Nodal
Red Hedghog
shivam
widdershins

I'll divide people up in a bit.

Nodal
07-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I will be running a game of Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition. The only books allowed for character creation are Player's Handbooks 1 and 2, and we will be running the H1 Module, Keep on the Shadowfell. The game will start at 9 EST, and you guys can pick the day from Monday the 25th, to Friday the 29th. If we don't finish the module and people get tired, we'll work out another day to finish it. If this goes well I hope to pick up some more modules in the string and play through them, at least the first 3.

Heron
07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd be very keen on joining this. I'll need some help rolling a character though if that is alright.

Toothache42
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Sounds good. I bought the 4th ed PHB a while back but never had chance to play a game with it. I'm an old hack who's been playing since 2nd ed, so it shouldn't take me too long to figure out the new changes and stuff.

widdershins
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm interested.

pence
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I will be running a game of Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition. The only books allowed for character creation are Player's Handbooks 1 and 2, and we will be running the H1 Module, Keep on the Shadowfell. The game will start at 9 EST, and you guys can pick the day from Monday the 25th, to Friday the 29th. If we don't finish the module and people get tired, we'll work out another day to finish it. If this goes well I hope to pick up some more modules in the string and play through them, at least the first 3.

In like flynn, any day but Wednesday. Give yourself a lot more than one day, btw... 96-page module is gonna take quite a few sessions.

And I've been beaten by Nich, but I totally have several character ideas I've been kicking around.

Edit: Today, 06:29 PM Nodal: I will be running a game of 4th edition D&D...
Today, 06:33 PM Five people stick their foot in the door.

My goodness.

Nodal
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
You people are insane.

pence
07-18-2011, 05:17 PM
So, too early to start talking about characters? I know there are a few people that won't even have the books to know what their race/class options are, but I have a few rough ideas for archetypal characters. I made four because I like making characters, and so no one would feel like I was stopping them from playing their favorite D&D class their first time out:

"Turk", Level 1 Dwarf Avenger of Ioun
"It belongs in a museum!"
Synopsis: Avenger of Ioun who does rogue-y things. He uses multiple cover identities and a glib tongue to infiltrate evil cults and steal their ancient tomes and forbidden knowledge, then release it to the public.

Arioch, Level 1 Human Fighter
"I felt the Raven Queen's presence guiding my strike on that one."
Synopsis: Quixotic would-be paladin of the Raven Queen. In reality, he receives no power from his chosen diety - he has the Deva Heritage feat, and exists outside the normal cycle of life and death. The Raven Queen wishes him no ill will, but sees no reason to reward him for his devotion.

Didrik Bonesinger, Level 1 Half-Elf Bard multiclass Invoker
"I have never received a single complaint from a dead patron. Well, that is disingenuous. To be more precise, no one but me has heard the complaints."
Synopsis: Skald-like chronicler of the dead, who scours the Shadowfell for material from which to create dirges and laments. He depends on fear effects, and can even turn undead. He also plays a mean pipe organ.

Tsura, Level 1 Human Invoker
"I've got a very bad feeling about this."
Synopsis: A gypsy-like fortune-teller of Vistani Heritage. She is bad luck, and she knows it, but by relying on guidance from strange, outside forces she can gaze into the future and avoid the worst of it. Unfortunately, this usually ends up launching she and her companions out of the fat and into the fire.

kaisel
07-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Dammit, I'd love to join, but you're already at five. If you ever need a stand-in player, I'm there.

pence
07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. Everyone pounced like that, and it was all people on IRC.

Googleshng
07-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah, that filled up pretty fast. Glad to see this thread's coming back to life too! I should run something once order gets restored around here.

Mightyblue
07-19-2011, 03:25 AM
No armor or anything?

EDIT: Nevermind, you're not done yet with character creation. I'd suggest you go with hide armor instead of chainmail though; you'll have the equivalent AC of chainmail with your Int bonus to AC without as heavy an armor check penalty.

pence
07-19-2011, 07:11 AM
I can also create Tsura as a Cosmic Bloodline Sorceress, or a Vestige Pact Warlock. Turns out you have quite a few options when it comes to 'cursed, dream-prophesied gypsy'.

If she's an arcane class, she is going to have a black cat familiar.

namelessentity
07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Sounds good. I bought the 4th ed PHB a while back but never had chance to play a game with it. I'm an old hack who's been playing since 2nd ed, so it shouldn't take me too long to figure out the new changes and stuff.

Keep in mind that whenever you go "this is a really cool power" someone is going to pop in and say "it was really cool, until they errata'd it in nineteen dickety two"

Destil
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
If you're playing PHB1 and 2 only I'd recommend throwing out all the errata except for the stealth skill clarification. Easier that way, and nothing before paragon tier is broken in PHB1/2.

Have fun storming the shadowfell!

pence
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I need to jump in the wayback machine - most of the builds I made relied on the Power books, but this is also an opportunity to use powers before they were nerfed.

No Malediction Invoker and no Polearm Momentum, though - those were going to be fun. I'm thinking Dragon Sorcerer... multiclass Bard or Warlord. That would give us a party that looks like Warlord, Warlock, Pursuit Avenger, Earth Warden, and a glass cannon with an 'oh shit' button; a potent blend.

Nodal
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
If you're playing PHB1 and 2 only I'd recommend throwing out all the errata except for the stealth skill clarification. Easier that way, and nothing before paragon tier is broken in PHB1/2.

Have fun storming the shadowfell!

Already did so! ERRATA YOU CAN JUST GO TO HELL.

pence
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Sure is nice in here, Magic Missile looks so much like it does in the PHB!

Mightyblue
07-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I have pdfs of the original '09 release PHBs 1 and 2 if you guys want to look at them.

pence
07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
All's well that ends well, I say! The avenger just seemed so... humorless. And you all saw what happened to Wil Wheaton's avenger.

Skeletonized.

pence
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I have to admit, I'm quite fond of "Paramount Consulting" from an out-of-character perspective. Just to keep it in mind as everyone starts suggesting other names in-character.

"I mean, we're not really providing a consulting service are we? In the dungeon? Perhaps we could use some more alliteration, everyone loves that."

pence
07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I like that pence made four characters to choose from, depending on what the rest of us did, and then went with a brand-new fifth in the end.

All of those characters were pretty reliant on options that weren't available! Polearm Momentum, Prescient Bard, Malediction Invoker, Cosmic Sorcerer, familiars, various bloodline feats... and to my surprise, I said it before, but limitations breed creativity. You can do some pretty cool stuff with a PHB rogue!

Here is Albus Swallowtail (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-dcykL9Hh0eMmUzY2VhMjgtYjFlNS00MTA1LWFjYWUtYTIxMTFk YmU0MDRj&hl=en_US) (blame the nickname on Heron's character). He is a pretty classic rogue, a con-man.

widdershins
07-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Thotham Rockgut (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3eZgU0Xw2X1YmZmY2I5MzEtNmQ2MC00ZDc2LWIwM2Y tM2Y4MTA1Nzk1NjVi&hl=en_US), Goliath Warden, reporting for duty.

pence
07-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Hooray! Have we picked a day for playing our first session? I think so far, when you factor in everyone's limitations, it still comes out to 'any day but Wednesday'.

widdershins
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Indeed that's about as far as we've gotten. Do you have any particular preference, Nodal?

Googleshng
07-24-2011, 02:23 AM
So I'm really going through some withdrawal here regular RPG playing wise, and that means it's time to run a one shot or two! Well, next month sometime anyway. Two ideas come to mind, and I suppose I could do both really.

1- Another Glistening Chests session. The first time around there were a lot of people who wanted in but couldn't because scheduling, and almost every possible skill check came up, plus hey, everyone had fun with it. So... ideally I'd like to get everyone from the first time around back, plus a couple more (at least one more playing a girl) to show off how sneakier sorts of adventures work out (spoiler alert: a minimal effort is maybe made by wimpier types then people start getting hacked to bits with big huge ancestral swords anyway). Ideally, I'd like to run this like... a week or two into August, some night when nobody's busy.

2- Since my regular game of it went into indefinite GM-panic-crisis right when it was starting to get to the point where I had a handle on it, I'd kinda maybe like to do a nice introductory one-shot of Eclipse Phase. For those of you not familiar with it, Eclipse Phase has a LOT of DNA and parentage in common with Shadowrun, but rather than magic-slinging elves and cyborg orcs working for mysterious shadowy megacorps in a weird cyberpunk setting, you're a bunch of transhuman weirdos and uplifted octopi hanging out in an extensively colonized solar system (every planet, moon, various asteroids, freefloating space stations, and even the frelling sun are inhabited), most likely working for some mysterious shadowy organization trying to keep everyone from getting wiped out by various freaky surprises left by the uh... freaky rogue AIs people made a few years ago that kinda, well, basically exterminated all life on earth with death bots and grey goo nanites and freaky virii, both standard and computer, pretty much just for kicks. You can go buy the rules to it here (http://eclipsephase.com/), but if you're too big a cheapskate to do that, the lead designer understands and will just kinda let you grab it for free here (http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/). I'd recommend flipping through the core rules to try and get a handle on all crazy post-scarcity, physical-body-abandoning, crazy hedonism inherent to the setting. Actually really getting a grip on the rules isn't that important because I'm planning to do a lot of hand-holding and have this whole crazy concept in mind that'll work a LOT better with premade characters than opening the floodgates to all the crazy options available. Having at least a vague idea going in what's up with the favor based economy and some of the in-game terminology would really make things easier on me though. This I'd be willing to run in late August or early September. Again, flexible on the exact date.

So... yeah. Interest levels on either/both of these? Schedule issues to help in down which exact night(s) to run things on?

Lucas
07-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I'd be down for either or both of those, but especially the Eclipse Phase.

Glistening Chests is fun but, well, I've now played it and that takes just a bit of shine off the option.

Mightyblue
07-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I'd be interested in either, but since my night availability save for Weds (which is when I'm in pence's game) is pretty random, I'd need a couple of weeks of advance notice on a hard date to ask for it off.

Red Hedgehog
07-24-2011, 08:26 AM
I'd be in for Eclipse Phase, but I may try running it some time in the next few weeks. So maybe I'll be EPed out.

widdershins
07-24-2011, 09:40 AM
So, I talked with Nodal and Toothache, and since toothache has the weirdest time for this (he's GMT, so it's 1AM for him), we asked his preference. He said anything but Tuesday or Wednesday, and since it may be a bit of short notice for Monday at this point, how does Thursday strike folks?

Looks like Nodal, Toothache, Pence and myself are good. What say you, Nich and Heron?

Toothache42
07-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Figure I may as well throw my Skype name out there for people to get - it is toothache42 (unsurprisingly).

Heron
07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Thursday sounds excellent to me.

pence
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
I am still looking forward to this! I mean, I am looking way too far into the future, but Rogues get the best level 10 utility power:

Close Quarters

You take cover beneath a much larger creature, making it harder for the creature to hit you.

Daily Martial
Move Action Personal

Prerequisite: You must be trained in Acrobatics.

Effect: Move into the space of an adjacent creature larger than you and at least Large in size. (It gets its usual opportunity attack against you as you leave an adjacent square.) You gain combat advantage against the creature, and it takes a –4 penalty to attack rolls against you. When the creature moves, you move along with it, staying in the same portion of the creature’s space. The creature can make a Strength or Dexterity vs. Reflex attack (as a standard action with no penalty) to slide you 1 square into an adjacent square and end this effect.

Special: Allies of the target creature can attack you without penalty.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2i77k1f.jpg

Googleshng
07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Hmm... any chance we could update the first post with these two things I'm possibly running and maybe start a new thread for all this prep talk for Nodal's game here?

pence
07-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Hmm... any chance we could update the first post with these two things I'm possibly running and maybe start a new thread for all this prep talk for Nodal's game here?

This is a good idea, give me about 15 minutes to get home from the office and I'll update the first post. /doesn't follow his own rules

pence
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Updated! My only word of advice would be to self-promote when it comes close to game time if you're scheduling more than a few weeks in advance, since I burned myself on Dogs in the Vineyard last time. That may have also been because we sprinted through so many games in a short timeframe, so I'm leaving my hat out of the GM circle for now. I am, however, tentatively signing up for both of google's games!

kaisel
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I should mention that I'd love to play in either (or both) of Google's games, though I'm pretty busy the first week of August. Other than that though, I should be reasonably free. Now to find my Glistening Chests character again...

Googleshng
07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, might bump both back a little. Basically I'm as flexible as needed to get things on good nights for people. Off the cuff, I'm thinking maybe... the 9th for GC and 23rd for EP? Starting at 9 PM EDT or so? Both of those are tuesdays, 2 and 4 weeks away from tomorrow. Those work for everyone interested?

I'm going to have to get around to reviving the GC info thread and making a quick teaser deal for the EP game too later.

Edit: It's later!

Here's the post of Glistening Chests info. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=11765) I may have to push back the date on this some since I know at least one person said they needed a decent bit of advance notice, and I'm not really sure if 12 days counts as enough. Ideally, I'd like everyone who was around the first time back, and I'm totally cool with bumping the player count up as high as say... 8 people? I'd also like to show off a wider range of things from the girl-y side of the skill list, so at least one new addition to the party should stat up a Warrior Woman (I'd kinda like 3 total if we end up at 7 or 8 people). And I mean, yeah. I can always just hit an existing character with a horrible magical gender flip curse to balance things out, but then they end up with way fewer skill points, which sort of defeats the purpose.

And here's a planning thread for the EP oneshot. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=1111888#post1111888) Don't think I specified, but I don't think I can mange more than 6 people for this, and I'm really going to need to know what the player count is going to be a week or two before running it so I can properly set up this elaborate web of complimentary specialties and conflicting secret agendas in advance.

Red Hedgehog
07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I can't make August 23rd. Am good after then, though.

Googleshng
07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
How about I kick these both back a week then? 16th for GC and 30th for EP work for everyone who's interested thus far?

Also, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in that planning thread there, but I'd like to cap the Eclipse Phase game at 6 people.

No limit on GC players though. It's all sloppy and versatile like that.

Googleshng
08-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Giving things a slight bump because not one person interested in these two games has said anything one way or another on the goodness/badness of these prospective and not-all-that-far-off dates yet.

pence
08-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Updated the first post. I'll either recreate or try to find my old sheet for Spearfist the Warslayer.

Lucas
08-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm dandy with both those dates.

kaisel
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM
The 9th works for me, for GC. I can't remember if I said I'd try out the EP game, but regardless, I'm not sure if the 23rd works for me (if you need an extra body, I can try to make that day work, just no promises).

Mightyblue
08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I can make it on the 9th for the GC game. Sorry, I forgot all about it, but work gave me that night off anyway, so hah!

EDIT: Derp, and missed Google's post pushing it back a week, which means I probably can't make it.

DarkBlueFlannel
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm glad to hear GC is happening, again. If you don't mind a RPG newbie, I would be keen to join. As it happens, I plan to fill one of the female slots.

Googleshng
08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Not only do I not mind, I'm happy about it... except that it means your first exposure to playing a tabletop RPG will be this horrible depraved abomination I've unleashed on the world, but hey. This here thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=11765) explains how to throw a character together, and contains most of the characters people have already made for handy reference too.

kaisel
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I can make it on the 9th for the GC game. Sorry, I forgot all about it, but work gave me that night off anyway, so hah!

EDIT: Derp, and missed Google's post pushing it back a week, which means I probably can't make it.

Oh hey, I missed the same post. The 16th may work for me, not 100% sure. Have a couple of friends who might come up to visit, but nothing's confirmed yet.

pence
08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Just to confirm, do I have the correct dates up on the first post? Week of the 16th for Glistening Chests and week of the 30th for Eclipse Phase? If they're wrong just let me know and I'll get it changed ASAP. :]

Googleshng
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
At this point, I'm a bit confused too. It seems like everyone interested in GC is good to go tomorrow, and one person isn't on the 16th. So... apparently GC is tomorrow and we still need to pin a date down for the EP thing.

Mightyblue
08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Okay, so what time then? I'm guessing something like 7 or 8 PM CST?

Googleshng
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Yup. As it says at the top of the page here and... huh. Not in the first post for some reason, 9 PM EDT. Which would be 8 CDT, or 7 CST if you're actually somewhere that gives the finger to the whole Daylight Savings deal.

kaisel
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Yup. As it says at the top of the page here and... huh. Not in the first post for some reason, 9 PM EDT. Which would be 8 CDT, or 7 CST if you're actually somewhere that gives the finger to the whole Daylight Savings deal.

If I have my timezones correct, that's 5 PM AKDT, which means I'll be about 15-20 minutes late, as usual.

Googleshng
08-09-2011, 11:09 PM
OK! So Glistening Chests went over well again... and again I am surprised that such a cheesy thing holds this kind of appeal. 3 week break on me GMing and then it's time for Eclipse Phase which I think we're all good with playing at 9 PM eastern on the 30th, and for which there are 5 players lined up. If a 6th wants to hop in there, let me know by the 20th so I have time to prepare properly.

Googleshng
08-20-2011, 12:42 PM
If a 6th wants to hop in there, let me know by the 20th so I have time to prepare properly.

So yeah, Last Call day for sign-ups here. Going to spend the next 10 days splitting my time between prepping for this and doing actual work.

Red Hedgehog
08-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Do you have me down as wanting to play Eclipse Phase? Because, uh, I do.

pence
08-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I believe the time/people I see right now for Eclipse Phase are:

Tuesday, August 30

Googleshng

Lucas
Mightyblue
Red Hedgehog
pence
kaisel

pence
08-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Borrowing the laptop/connection/power of someone I kinda know who really really lucked out to point out that my house is currently covered in fallen trees, and apparently power won't be restored until September Frelling 6th. I'm... really hoping that estimate is grossly inaccurate.

Also, my neighbors have yards full of seaweed. Which is pretty cool, but not as cool as the yard not far from here where an entire sailboat washed up.

Glad you're ok, Google, and I hope your neighbors and the house are ok, too! I can reschedule to pretty much any non-Wednesday/Saturday, if need be.

Googleshng
08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Fortunately, power came back today. Probably because lines were getting fixed in order of priority, and it turned out there was just this one break in the power coming to this whole relatively heavily populated peninsula, which was also kind of totally unsecured and dancing around in the breeze on the only road in or out. Still took'em awhile though.

So good news is, should still be set to play tomorrow.

Bad news is, I have to finish all my GM prep work before then, because e-mailing all my notes to myself to work on while stuck somewhere didn't work out. So I'm off to hastily stat NPCs!

pence
08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Awesome! This should be a blast :]

kaisel
08-31-2011, 12:08 AM
While I still have gaming on the brain, I figured I would throw this out there: anyone interested in a Call of Cthulu game? I wouldn't mind running one, though it would be in like late September, early October. Does that time work for folks? Any interest?

Googleshng
08-31-2011, 12:52 AM
I am, as ever, up for anything anyone runs.

pence
08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
I'll play Cthulhu. I like the source material too much to complain about strapping myself in to get driven insane.

Meanwhile, Apocalypse World, Hatchet City scenario. There'll be a more limited set of playbooks due to the scenario, but you'll be fine. Next week or the week after... I'll mull it over today or tomorrow and provide some details.

widdershins
08-31-2011, 08:38 AM
FUCK to the YES.

Lucas
08-31-2011, 08:52 AM
I'll play Cthulhu.

If Pence is taking Cthulhu then I'll call dibs on the Goat with a Thousand Young.

pence
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
If Pence is taking Cthulhu then I'll call dibs on the Goat with a Thousand Young.

I'm totally maining Cthulhu, man, he's high tier. Not quite god tier, though...

pence
08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Hatchet City and Blind-Blue

Time: Friday, September 9 and/or Friday, September 16, 9:00PM-1:00AM Eastern (6:00PM-10:00PM Pacific).

System: Apocalypse World

A game about real people dealing with the people around them, and trying to carve shelter, inch by inch, out of the dirt and concrete and the psychic maelstrom that howls just at the edge of perception.

What do the characters look like? Check out these playbooks (http://apocalypse-world.com/ApocalypseWorld-playbooks.pdf). I'll have the specifics of Hatchet City up later, maybe on my lunch break, but the basic idea is that the selection of playbooks is gonna be limited to five of these 11 guys.

Edit: This thread right 'ere. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=12215)

All the rules kick in around moves. When you do a move, you roll 2d6 and add a stat. Think of moves like powers in 4e; if you're rolling dice, it's because you're doing a move. If you're doing a move, a 7-9 is always a low success, and a 10+ is always a high success. Each playbook has specific moves it can do, and everyone also gets a full set of the basic moves: under fire, go aggro, seize by force, seduce/manipulate, read a sitch, read a person, open your brain to the psychic maelstrom.

Players: 3-5, 1 GM (sorry, MC)
Platform: Skype + IRC

Nodal
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
While I still have gaming on the brain, I figured I would throw this out there: anyone interested in a Call of Cthulu game? I wouldn't mind running one, though it would be in like late September, early October. Does that time work for folks? Any interest?

I'd be up for that.

Destil
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Ia ia. I'm in too.

namelessentity
08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Hatchet City

I'm thoroughly confused, but definitely intrigued. Unfortunately Tuesdays are no good for me. A different day, perhaps....

pence
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Hm... I'll rescind the days until I figure out what's good for everyone. Since my Thursday D&D game is flexible, that's a possibility. So it any weekday that isn't Wednesday, really.

Googleshng
08-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Oh hey, we're really firing things back up here. I'm down for this too.

pence
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Sweet, so far we've got 6 people expressing interest in Cthulhu (huge table is huge) and 3 for Apocalypse World. First post updated :]

Destil
08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, if it's not Tuesday I'd be down for Hatchet City, too...

Googleshng
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna bow out of Cthulhu to keep things a little more manageable for that GM and move my claim over to Apocalypse World instead.

You should totally make a character anyway, so there's a nice well-rounded NPC for news of the death of to reach everyone else as backstory.

kaisel
09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I'll try to narrow down what weeks that I can run stuff on in the next couple of days, so I can get an idea of what times people can make when.

You should totally make a character anyway, so there's a nice well-rounded NPC for news of the death of to reach everyone else as backstory.

Hah, sure.

Heh, if you want to do that, that'd be cool, it works with the scenario that I'm going to be running.

pence
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Since Tuesday's a bad day, if I narrowed Apocalypse World down to Monday or Friday, which one is everyone feeling?

namelessentity
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
If we did Monday, I would have three games in a row, and by Wednesday I believe I would be burnt out. And then what would you guys do without the plucky (Shov read: prissy) wizard.

So Friday, that sounds good.

Googleshng
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm cool with any non-weekend day, but may need someone to poke me via IMer or something when it rolls around because I'm still not sure what weeks we're looking at on these.

Destil
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Monday and Friday are equally amiable to me.

pence
09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
So now the question becomes: more Apocalypse World games, or rock the Mouse Guard?

Googleshng
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Both? Slightly more interested in continuing with Apocalypse World though.

kaisel
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Call of Cthulu Stuff

I've been super busy this month, so I'm going to push back till the second or third week of October. For my players, is there a particular day/week that works best for everyone? Monday-Friday are my best bets, but I'll work around everyone's schedule.

So now the question becomes: more Apocalypse World games, or rock the Mouse Guard?

Either works for me. I love the Mouse Guard box set, but I'll be playing in a game IRL, so Apocalypse World more.

TirMcDohl
11-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I'd like to start up a Pathfinder game for the weekends. I'm bored out of my gourd, and I think I might be able to do some interesting things. Anyone interested in playing the system? I'll scrounge up some setting info for a later post.

Lucas
11-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll be there with summons on. Possibly some kind of lillend-inspired eidolon at my side.

Googleshng
11-28-2011, 01:50 AM
I too have already expressed interest here... and I'll pretty much play whatever at this point.

Lucas
11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Bumping just in case anyone interested missed TirMcDohl's game somehow.

I'd totally be cool with a two-PC game though. As I've mentioned in other places, I think a well-done partnership can be one of the most fun campaigns.

Solitayre
11-29-2011, 10:33 PM
It's been a long time since I've played any games like this, and I'm not familiar with pathfinder, but I'd like to hear more about something like this.

I'd need to know way more about how you'd run it though. What medium would you use (IRC, etc?) and what kind of campaign would it be? I tend to be the kind of player who puts roleplaying above dicerolls and I know not everyone is into that.

Also, I work nights on weekends a lot so maybe I'd just be causing trouble. But anyway yeah I'd at least like to hear more about this.

Googleshng
11-30-2011, 12:03 AM
If you're familiar with D&D (3/3.5 in particular), you're familiar with Pathfinder. The short version is, some people who write shockingly good pre-published adventures/full campaigns got really annoyed with WotC's new licensing agreement, and kinda went rogue, and just kinda made their own new edition of D&D. Kinda like a legally publishable fan patch to 3.5. And they also tossed everything up on a couple SRDs, so, familiarize! (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/)

And I'd hope for a Skype/Maptool combo.

Setting/tone info would be good too, yes.

TirMcDohl
11-30-2011, 04:47 AM
I'm still assembling my thoughts. I'm currently suffering from the 'kitchen sink' approach, where I'm trying to work from the macro of the world downward, when I don't think I need to.

Solitayre
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm not what most would consider a veteran RPer but if there's anything I've learned from my experiences it's that planning things in advance is crazy talk.

Also I don't have a usable microphone so Skype wouldn't really work for me. If that's a problem I'll happily just stay out.

TirMcDohl
11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Aww, I was hoping to do some skype-age.

Googleshng
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Could just keep everything important in-chat through Maptool/IRC/whatever and run Skype for table talk. Even if only the GM has a microphone, things go far smoother in my experience when people are able to verbally remind each other what's going on and who's turn it is.

TirMcDohl
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I haven't dropped my intent to GM a pathfinder game. I'm still trying to compile my thoughts. This is a world I've had brewing in my head for a few months now, and I'm trying to assemble the various disjointed ideas I get while doing mindless tasks at work.

Lucas
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
If you're having trouble nailing down the setting details, might I suggest you start off with just the place where we start, giving you time to set the rest in stone later?

We could do character creation before you have all the setting stuff set, since that will probably take a full session on its own (especially if we're all asking for rulings about class archetypes and playing with alternate racial features, etc., which I'm sure I'll be doing).

Solitayre, this might sound weird but if you have a pair of cheap earbuds kicking around (the kind that come free with mp3 players, for instance) that you don't use, try plugging them into the microphone input on your computer and see how that works. You usually have to speak directly into the headphones for this to work, so it would take some juryrigging, possibly with paperclips or something, to get to a point where you can comfortably use this for a few hours during a session, but it's something to try.

TirMcDohl
12-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Okay, sure. Should we try to get together tonight and hash out characters and stuff, and I can give a basic gist of the setting and answer questions you might have? IRC sound good?

Lucas
12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Haha, didn't expect my prodding to be quite that effective. I'll see if I can make time for IRC somewhere between my pre-work nap and work tonight. Some time after six PST?

Did we ever decide for sure whether we wanted to play Fridays or Saturdays? The latter would have a lot less of pussyfooting around my night shift work schedule.

TirMcDohl
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Anyone have objections with Saturday nights?

Googleshng
12-03-2011, 02:57 AM
As long as it's at or after 8:30 eastern I'm good.

TirMcDohl
12-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Any objections, Lucas?

Lucas
12-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Not at all.

TirMcDohl
12-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Alright then. 8:30 PM Eastern in esper.net, #dohlgame

Be there, or BE ROADKILL.

Mightyblue
01-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Okay, so as regards the two tabletop games I got books for on Festivus:

Cthulutech: Isn't gonna happen as a oneshot, simply because there's way too much work involved in getting things going and the authors admitted that the mecha combat rules are an entirely separate minis tactical game inserted into this otherwise neat little punky RPG. Plus, character gen is only slightly less complex than your average D&D character out of a single PHB. And my schedule due to my job makes having non-Wed nights free reliably sort of a crapshoot. Maybe sometime in the future when I can have other nights off reliably.

Ironclaw: I don't even know where to begin with this. I'd just post the IM log with pence and Lucas, but eh. Basically it plays like a more complex version of Glistening Chests with a reasonable approximation of the Slayers magic system grafted onto it. Which probably just made google recoil in horror from his computer. More generally I'd describe it as a totally serious furry social RPG that had a pseudo-Slayers setting grafted onto it resulting in some incredible tonal inconsistencies at points. Mechanically it's pretty sweet, but the furry bits are pretty much just flavor and anything furry related could be replaced by mostly anything you'd want to put in there.

So yeah, if I do anything it'll probably be an extremely tongue-in-cheek Ironclaw game focusing more on wacky hijinks and dungeon exploration than SRS BSNS furry RP.

Googleshng
01-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Wait wait wait. It's mechanically going for a Slayers thing ON TOP OF that cover art? AND it reminds you of my intentionally creepy game? Yeah I am so so down for this.

Lucas
01-03-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm in. Possibly playing a sexy lizard girl.

poetfox
01-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I will admit to being involved in a VERY SERIOUS game of Ironclaw for awhile. (Maybe it'll pick back up now that the holidays are over? That would be nice.) Like, all dramatic and shit. My character was an accountant, basically, and also a trophy wife betrothed to a very bad wolf. Things were things. As far as actual gameplay goes, as far as I'm concerned, it's a pretty good system, though it was really my friend who is a very obsessive storyteller kind of GM who made it serious, not the world itself. (Also, I guess, that we were all furries and thus that element just seemed like eh, whatever.)

But silly is awesome. I like silly.

My schedule is still potentially crazy busy, but if you need another person and it happens I will try to make it! If it fills up otherwise or never materializes, no worries, as my work schedule is still really stupid and constantly in flux.

pence
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Quoting from elsewhere...

...or pick up the GUMSHOE version.

And yeah, I think a survey might be a better way to go for my players, come to think of it.

Ahem, anyway, I guess this isn't D&D related, but I should recheck Call of Cthulu interest again in the VTT thread, see if it's worth starting up again.

Trail of Cthulhu, do it ;]

Or the minimalism of Cthulhu Dark.
http://www.thievesoftime.com/news/cthulhu-dark/

kaisel
01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Trail of Cthulhu, do it ;]

Or the minimalism of Cthulhu Dark.
http://www.thievesoftime.com/news/cthulhu-dark/

Heh, I'd love to run Trail of Cthulhu, but I'm trying to cut back a bit on my RPG spending so it'd have to wait a bit, though maybe I'll run CoC in the nearish future (sometime in February), and then at a later date pick up Trail and run that.

Also, thanks for the Cthulhu Dark link, pretty interesting small focused little game that would be interesting to run/play in as well.

Googleshng
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Totally down for CoC if it gets run.

Also what's the story with the Ironclaw thing right now? Should I actually just be fully filling out this character sheet and tossing it along, or was there still going to be some get everyone together to make characters at once deal?

Mightyblue
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm still planning on doing that, I've just got a bunch of stuff on my plate in REAL LIFE at the moment that's got me tied up most of the time.

Serephine
01-26-2012, 03:24 AM
I've always wanted to play CoC since I'm such a huge Lovecraft dork even though I have no rulebooks on hand. Is that okay?

kaisel
01-26-2012, 08:53 AM
I've always wanted to play CoC since I'm such a huge Lovecraft dork even though I have no rulebooks on hand. Is that okay?

Oh yeah, that would be totally okay. I'll write up a quick primer on it when I have a better idea of what date works for everyone, and when I have an idea of who all wants to play. In essence though it's mostly roll percentage dice, and try to get under your skill.

Serephine
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm still interested in this whenever you have the time! =)

kaisel
03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm still interested in this whenever you have the time! =)

Here you go (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=12806).

But yeah, if anyone else is interested, lemme know in the other thread, and we'll get this going in two-three weeks.

kaisel
09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I finally got a chance to play Dungeon World recently, and I'd like to try my hand at running it. Does anyone have interest in playing it?

Also, I do plan on running that Trail of Cthulhu game (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=12806) sometime this month, if people are still interested in it.

The earliest I could probably run anything is the week of the 17th of September (gives me time to prep), but any time after that (even if it bleeds in October or later) would work for me.

Destil
09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I am totally down for Dungeon World times and I'm still in for Trails. Right now my schedule is pretty empty (haven't scheduled this month's D&D session).

Googleshng
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I finally got a chance to play Dungeon World recently, and I'd like to try my hand at running it. Does anyone have interest in playing it?

Also, I do plan on running that Trail of Cthulhu game (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=12806) sometime this month, if people are still interested in it.

The earliest I could probably run anything is the week of the 17th of September (gives me time to prep), but any time after that (even if it bleeds in October or later) would work for me.

I am always up for playing anything... although because of this fact, my Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday schedules are carrying pretty heavy loads.