PDA

View Full Version : On a diet: new slim PSP details leaked

djSyndrome
06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
And here they are (http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/psp-slim-details-revealed-267108.php).

TheSL
06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
The only way I can see spending the money on a PSP a second time is if they make it GBA SP-style so that it protects its screen.

tungwene
06-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Sheesh, if it's going to be the same price as the original PSP I think I'll wait until this one comes out to buy it. I always figured Sony dropped the price on the original because they were planning to release a redesigned version that they were going to try selling for more.

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I thought they would have charged a premium for it, but it's nice to see they are sticking with the $170 price point. I hope they keep a memory stick slot so I can use the ones I have already. 8GB memory is stellar, but I'd like to roll with 12 if I can. There's no way it can compete with the DS at this point, but between this and and some of the games being released this year Sony should have a pretty solid foothold in the portable market.

Torgo
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Agreed. Reading over that article, even I'm pretty impressed, and I've dumped on the PSP quite a bit since its release.

That said, I still have yet to see the killer must-have game that prompts me to go out and but a piece of hardware. So, this news is only good to me in that it if I ever decide to buy a PSP, there will be a much improved model to get.

djSyndrome
06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Guys, remember, this is all rumour at this point. Kotaku's usually fairly on-base when it comes to running these things - look at all the trouble they got in with Sony when they called PS3's Home correctly - but with no pics and nothing from Sony I think it's a little too good to be true.

JCDenton
06-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Wow, can't wait to see more about this. If it does end up being less than $170 I might have to get one to finally play Lumines, MGS:PO and Crush

Torgo
06-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I think the price point is too good to be true. Weather that's what Sony is supposedly shooting for or not, $170...? Yeah, right.

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Oh yay, something to render my $250 PSP obsolete. Thanks Sony! You too Nintendo!

Jakanden
06-08-2007, 10:03 AM
For me, it all depends on how moddable it is. If Dark Alex is able to release a custom firmware that works on it, I will get it even though I own one (due to increased battery life and 8GB memory).

However, I have seen more instances of Kotaku being wrong than right, so I won't get my hopes up until I hear it from Sony.

Torgo
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh yay, something to render my $250 PSP obsolete. Thanks Sony! You too Nintendo!
Don't worry, buddy! I'm sure that EBStop will have a special offer to buy your old PSP* to put towards a new model. You'll save dozens of nickles.

*Trade-in offer must include two games from a select list

djSyndrome
06-08-2007, 10:07 AM
I think the price point is too good to be true. Weather that's what Sony is supposedly shooting for or not, $170...? Yeah, right.

Yeah, that's the part I have issue with. It just seems like too much good stuff for 40 bucks over the DS. My guess? $199 for the new model, with another drop of the 'old' model to $149. $129 if they're feeling saucy and want to compete with the DS.

Torgo
06-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Another thought: Although they're not even remotely competing devices, am I the only one who thinks that even under the worst price point, a full $250 dollars, that as far as multi-functional devices go, this would make the iPhone look like even more of a rip then it already is, especially if Sony decided to put a camera in the thing?

Just wondering.

BEAT
06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
This news means but one thing to me. That the old version of the PSP will likely drop 30 dollars in price with the advent of the new one.

And a 139.99 PSP is only 10 dollars away from the price point I've been holding out for.

djSyndrome
06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Another thought: Although they're not even remotely competing devices, am I the only one who thinks that even under the worst price point, a full $250 dollars, that as far as multi-functional devices go, this would make the iPhone look like even more of a rip then it already is, especially if Sony decided to put a camera in the thing?

Just wondering.

Depends on what features of the iPhone you're talking about. If it's the phone capability, then the iPhone is, well, a phone, and will make calls better than any PSP ever will.

As a music player? I'd say the PSP would be a better deal, and it calls into question Apple's charging $100 for an extra 4GB of storage space.

Torgo
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
As a music player? I'd say the PSP would be a better deal, and it calls into question Apple's charging $100 for an extra 4GB of storage space.
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Apple's penchant and reputation for quality aside, it leaves me wondering just how much of that six hundred dollars you're paying is for the brand name.

Red Hedgehog
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Interest in PSP rising...

j00ey
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
LED screen?! *buys gradius collection immediately*

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Don't worry, buddy! I'm sure that EBStop will have a special offer to buy your old PSP* to put towards a new model. You'll save dozens of nickles.

*Trade-in offer must include two games from a select list

Ummm..I kind of run homebrew from my PSP. I doubt the NES emulator would work for awhile on them new-fangled machines.

Kishi
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
LED screen?! *buys gradius collection immediately*

Would an LED screen negate the whole "blurry while in motion" issue, then? If so, I'm totally in.

alexb
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah, it should. LEDs are also much, much brighter.

j00ey
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
probably? I mean, it's within their best interests to rip off the DS Lite screen as best as possible.

JohnB
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
For me, it all depends on how moddable it is. If Dark Alex is able to release a custom firmware that works on it, I will get it even though I own one (due to increased battery life and 8GB memory).

OHGODYES. I used to have a PSP back when they first came out- 200 for an EB "refurb" seemed a great deal when they were going for 250 bucks. It basically got used to play Madden, Megaman X, and Shining Force 2/emulation goodness. It became expendable when I got a DS lite and an ipod video for my movie viewing pleasure. Giving up on awesome 16-bit homebrew machine made me sad, but I sure couldn't justify keeping a two hundred dollar bulky, poor battery-life device just to get my NES on. Count me back in, money down if all those details prove true, and there's a hackable firmware.

Trent Dole
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Huzzah, slightly less shitty Castlevania Chronicles player.

JohnB
06-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Also: this thread is useless without pictures.

gamin
06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics Remake, here I come!

Excitemike
06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Also: this thread is useless without pictures.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/eye_robot/miscellaneous/psp-slim.jpg

ArugulaZ
06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I doubt this system is going to be so easily cracked. Sony actually recalled a bunch of PSP units in Holland to make them less vulnerable to Dark Alex's exploits.

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/gaming/handhelds/news/sony-recalls-psp-consoles-in-holland?articleid=1701033322

The article makes it sound like the new units can't be flashed at all, which would work out pretty well if Sony doesn't plan on releasing any new firmware updates. If they do, there's going to be a lot of Europeans pissed off at Sony (I mean, more than there already are).

I'm taking the rumors of a PSP 1.5 with a grain of salt. Kotaku's been throwing around this news for over a year now, and nothing's ever come of it. Like they say in World of Warcraft circles, "screenshot or it didn't happen."

JR

nadia
06-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I was anticipating sexy pictures, but I see no sexy pictures.

Until I do, I'll sit over here.

djSyndrome
06-08-2007, 02:16 PM
I was anticipating sexy pictures, but I see no sexy pictures.

That's because all of us are either decidedly unsexy, or lack cameras. Or both.

BEAT
06-08-2007, 02:42 PM
The act of referring to consumer technology as sexy still weirds me out.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I think by this point Kotaku just keep reissuing this stupid rumor every 3 months, just in case it actually happens.

I have less than 0 belief in their accuracy on this one.

shivam
06-08-2007, 03:02 PM
i like my PSP.

thomp538
06-08-2007, 04:06 PM
I'll wait until someone sucessfully mods it

Vahn16
06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
The thing that excites me most is the faster loading UMD drive. Those annoying load times in FF Tactics: WOtL? Gone (hopefully). Also, a longer battery-life is always a plus, especially when you consider how the current PSP performs in that respect.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 08:44 PM
The thing that excites me most is the faster loading UMD drive. Those annoying load times in FF Tactics: WOtL? Gone (hopefully). Also, a longer battery-life is always a plus, especially when you consider how the current PSP performs in that respect.

Perfectly adequately? If the battery doesn't last long enough for you, buy an extra battery. Buy a hi-capacity one, then you have 2 batteries, and one can hold a longer charge! What a concept!

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 08:59 PM
You shouldn't have to buy an extra battery though. I already spent $250 or $170 on the machine, so why should I have to spend another $40 to enjoy a marathon session of Brooktown High?

It doesn't really matter to me, since I haven't used my PSP since Metal Gear Solid came out, and then I only played the game for a week.

ArugulaZ
06-08-2007, 09:04 PM
You shouldn't have to buy an extra battery though. I already spent $250 or $170 on the machine, so why should I have to spend another $40 to enjoy a marathon session of Brooktown High?

Man, if you want to play Brooktown High, you've got bigger problems then a dead battery.

JR

sraymonds
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Man, if you want to play Brooktown High, you've got bigger problems then a dead battery.

JR

Yeah, I can't find my PSP copy of Pimp My Ride.

Jeanie
06-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Perfectly adequately? If the battery doesn't last long enough for you, buy an extra battery. Buy a hi-capacity one, then you have 2 batteries, and one can hold a longer charge! What a concept!

Umm... I don't have a PSP so I don't know really, but wouldn't the battery case be protected with a screw. I know Nintendo protects their batteries that way. Seems like an awful lot of work and expense for that.

Eusis
06-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Umm... I don't have a PSP so I don't know really, but wouldn't the battery case be protected with a screw. I know Nintendo protects their batteries that way. Seems like an awful lot of work and expense for that.
Nope. It's a cover you remove by pressing a button and pull out. Heck, they sell fresh batteries in stores.

chocogaz
06-08-2007, 10:49 PM
It's the easy way to ignore the fact that your system is way too power-hungry for it's own good.

So what if it only lasts a few hours, just pop in a fresh one it'll be fine.

Jeanie
06-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey it worked for the Game Gear.

Oh wait...

Eusis
06-08-2007, 10:52 PM
I really don't think the DS phat was much better battery life-wise. There's some games that REALLY drain the PSP batteries, like the GTA games, but I think I played just about as long on a fresh charge for both Phoenix Wright and Valkyrie Profile.

ArugulaZ
06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
And bigger ones, too!

(batteries, that is. I really need to start quoting other peoples' posts from now on...)

I don't think the PSP's battery life is acceptable for a handheld, but it's acceptable for the kind of handheld that it is. When (if) they make the move to OLED and a more energy-conservant UMD drive, players will be able to squeeze much more life out of their batteries.

I can't help but think of this as a too little/too late proposition, though... peoples' minds are already made up about the PSP and DS, and there's little Sony can do to change them at this point.

JR

Jeanie
06-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, again I can't compare, but I've always been pretty happy with the battery life of my DS Phat. I want to say a little over 6 hrs of life assuming both screens on with backlight. Never really measured so take it with a grain of salt.

locit
06-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Hey it worked for the Game Gear.

Oh wait...

The Sega Game Gear was the finest portable gaming system of its time.

Heathen.

nadia
06-09-2007, 08:33 AM
All I've really played on the PSP is Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X. I've never noticed a problem with battery life. Now I realise there is probably a big reason for this.

No screw. The little bugger pops off my PSP ALL THE FRIGGIN' TIME.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 09:27 AM
All I've really played on the PSP is Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X. I've never noticed a problem with battery life. Now I realise there is probably a big reason for this.

The main reason is that the loading in both Mega Man titles for PSP is very well-optimised, reulting in short, infrequent loads, as opposed to long load times or frequent short loads.

That is the main reason the GTA games for PSP are such battery-killers, streaming on a portable device .

shivam
06-09-2007, 09:34 AM
puzzle quest has killed my battery over and over.

Niku
06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I've had the same battery for my PSP since Launch.

I pulled it off the charger yesterday (where it had been all night) and was playing Crush.

20 minutes later, I got a low battery signal and my PSP autoslept. HOORAY!

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I've had the same battery for my PSP since Launch.

I pulled it off the charger yesterday (where it had been all night) and was playing Crush.

20 minutes later, I got a low battery signal and my PSP autoslept. HOORAY!

What you should do is charge it for 8 hours, run it down to shutdown, and repeat three more times. Do that every 3 months, and your battery should be fine. All lithium batteries should be deep-cycled every three months to keep them in good shape, and to break in a new battery you should deep cycle the first five charges.

Thinaran
06-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Auto-sleep is at least better than having the DS die and having to re-"play" a whole chapter of Phoenix Wright 2.

nadia
06-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Honestly, I've never once had a problem with my DS (Phat) battery. The only instance I can think of where it didn't last for hours was when I first got the dang thing and it died in the middle of Mario Kart (since I stupidly didn't realise the little red light means "STOP, FOOL!")

admozan
06-09-2007, 07:49 PM
This slim redesign is good news for me. I was going to grab Castlevania, FF Tactics and some others and wait for the inevitable new hardware.

tungwene
06-10-2007, 12:04 AM
I have a plain old DS too and I've never been troubled by the battery life. I've never actually timed the thing but I can bring it on a long car trip and it'll last the whole duration. I also once forgot I'd only put in on sleep mode and stuck in my purse. When I pulled it out three days later the game was still right where I left off though the red light had turned on by then.

Jakanden
06-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm taking the rumors of a PSP 1.5 with a grain of salt. Kotaku's been throwing around this news for over a year now, and nothing's ever come of it. Like they say in World of Warcraft circles, "screenshot or it didn't happen."

JR

Yeah - that is what I said earlier as well. Kotaku is by no means the most reliable source on the net so I don't have too much faith that this is true.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-10-2007, 02:32 PM
My original PSP is just fine. Glad I got it as a gift, as I don't think I could justify the price tag of the time. Hell, probably couldn't justify it now, either, but regardless, it's a nice piece of equipment, I'm still not convinced the "new" one is anything I'd need.

Incidently, this was said on another forum. I really wish I'd been the one to come up with it. (Actually, I might have, once upon a time...)

"So the slim Playstation was the PSOne, PS2 was PSTwo. Will this be PSPee?"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I think Sony needs to take care of these rumors quick, one way or the other. Every time Kotaku brings it up, everyone who hasn't already bought a PSP says, "Well, I was on the fence about getting one, but now that I know a new model is coming, I'll just wait." Sony, either bring the stupid thing out or make it clear that it's not coming at all, but don't stay quiet and let the Internet keep eroding your potential user base!

JR

Peach
06-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm interested in the proposition that the redesign will improve the system's performance. Since I don't keep tabs on differences between console models, does anyone know if there's a precedent for significant improvement between two hardware releases aside from secondary factors like durability and efficiency?

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm interested in the proposition that the redesign will improve the system's performance. Since I don't keep tabs on differences between console models, does anyone know if there's a precedent for significant improvement between two hardware releases aside from secondary factors like durability and efficiency?

Well, the GBA compared to the GBA SP, the screen was actually viewable, thanks to the light.

Aside from that, none I know of other than the NeoGeo CD and CDZ. The original was 1X the CDZ was 2X.

ArugulaZ
06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
The slim Playstation 2 had a built in network adapter. The original didn't (although it DID have a port for a hard drive, something missing from the slimline model). The American Dreamcast had a built in 33.6K modem, while the Japanese had to do without it.

I can also think of at least one hardware release that was WORSE than its predecessor. Later GameCube systems were missing the progressive scan port, which would have been a much greater annoyance if it hadn't been for the Wii's 480p support and almost flawless backward compatibility.

JR

Deadguy2322
06-10-2007, 03:48 PM
The American Dreamcast had a built in 33.6K modem, while the Japanese had to do without it.

Nope, the Japanese model had a 28.8K modem, the American had a 56K and Asian models for Hong Kong and South Asia had no modem.

Eusis
06-10-2007, 03:49 PM
I can also think of at least one hardware release that was WORSE than its predecessor. Later GameCube systems were missing the progressive scan port, which would have been a much greater annoyance if it hadn't been for the Wii's 480p support and almost flawless backward compatibility.
And that the cables were going for ridiculous prices on eBay. A quick search suggests they calmed down, but it still seems a bit overpriced to me.

djSyndrome
06-10-2007, 04:10 PM
From memory:

The top-loading NES lost its A/V ports in its second iteration (bad), and also lost its 10NES chip (good). In contrast, the A/V Famicom gained A/V functionality through it's multi-adaptor port and lost its hardwired controllers (both good).

Early 4-port versions of the Atari 5200 were incompatible with the 2600 adapter; Atari offered a free fix for this. Later 5200 versions came with a standard RF switchbox instead of the all-in-one (power+RF) box used on early units.

Mk II and Mk III Sega Genesis units had random compatibility problems with some games. Both were lacking the headphone port and its dedicated volume control slider from the first iteration.

Niku
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
What you should do is charge it for 8 hours, run it down to shutdown, and repeat three more times. Do that every 3 months, and your battery should be fine. All lithium batteries should be deep-cycled every three months to keep them in good shape, and to break in a new battery you should deep cycle the first five charges.

This is a fantastic idea. Here's the rub of it. The PSP uses up very little power while in sleep mode, and whether it's actually my battery being completely worn out or some weirdness with the actual battery connectors (my PSP battery life will still read out as being over 90% when it begins autosleeping, so this might be some whole other problem), the PSP does autosleep, and it's not because of the automatic option to do so (which I have turned off). It makes it extremely difficult to actually run down the battery.

Jeanie
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Mk II and Mk III Sega Genesis units had random compatibility problems with some games. Both were lacking the headphone port and its dedicated volume control slider from the first iteration.

Also the Mark II Sega CD was a flip-open CD player compared to the disc table of the first one. Similar to PS2 and the Slimline PS2. Not sure of any other differences, as my Sega CD was Mk I and I knew no one else with either type of SCD.

Torgo
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, the GBA compared to the GBA SP, the screen was actually viewable, thanks to the light.
Yep, and the handcramps that followed were totally worth it!

(Seriously, I don't know how any of you guys can hold that thing.)

blitzchamp
06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
The internal memory would definetly be nice and the price isn't horrible, so I would probably buy it if some more good games came out for the PSP.

jovewolf
06-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Also the Mark II Sega CD was a flip-open CD player compared to the disc table of the first one. Similar to PS2 and the Slimline PS2. Not sure of any other differences, as my Sega CD was Mk I and I knew no one else with either type of SCD.

The only other difference I can think of between the Sega CD Mk I and II is that the Mk II required you to bolt on an extension plate so that the Mk I Genesis didn't overhang the tray of the thing. From what I recall the Mk I Sega CD also had hardware CD controls, whereas the Mk II did not (not entirely sure on that point as I never actually saw a Mk I Sega CD.)