PDA

View Full Version : Maid RPG: Yes, this is a thing that exists.

Kalir
04-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Yep. (http://maidrpg.com/)

Me and my gaming group were jokingly sifting through systems to use for a game, and one of the games we came across was this. At first, we all had a good laugh at the existence of such a thing. But then, I said "hey, we should give it a shot to see just how WTF it is." And that's how we all started pretending to be Japanese maids.

The basic gist is that everyone creates a character, one of them being the Master of the mansion (usually the GM) and everyone else creates a Maid to serve them. Exciting as mud. The game makes this interesting by taking any and all associated anime tropes and running like the wind with them. It ends up being a very chaotic yet adaptable system, if pretty unbalanced.

One of our players had intended to put a LP of it somewhere but I dunno what's up with that. So, instead, here's some highlights so far: an onmyouji siege of the mansion, a boarding school falling from the sky, Yu-Gi-Oh style Mahjong boards, and Ultra Meido Dracula.

Alpha Werewolf
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh style Mahjong boards
Wait. What?

(If the reaction seems to be directed at the wrong part of the post, take note that I already know of the system)

Lucas
04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Yyyyup. (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/goshujin-piece)

We never quite got as insane as Kalir's game because our GM was a party pooper English major concerned with things like "coherent narrative" and the game really isn't suited to campaign play anyway, but I kind of miss playing Orange Cream the psychic ex-special forces dominatrix maid. I was just about to initiate Operation Seduce Half the Mansion when we quit playing, too.

I also ran a short series of Maid games as a side story to my major BESM campaign (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shinsengumi-2009). I never got nearly as far with the idea of a competitive league of After School Meido Clubs as I wanted, though.

Extra self-congratulatory note: Goshujin Piece was the first Maid game on Obsidian Portal (could still be the only real one, as far as I know), and it was thanks to us that Maid was the first system to have a Dynamic Character Sheet.

Kalir
04-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, the guy who's trying to get the LP underway is responsible for the Mahjong. He's playing the maid of Onaninkei, a complete jackass delinquent who does more drugs than most people know exist and is trying to overthrow the headmaster of the aforementioned boarding school. She's apparently a big fan of Mahjong, and found a board that lets you do all that crazy Yu-Gi-Oh stuff with monsters appearing out of thin air.

pence
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
If I can get my hands on the rules (or someone else does!) this would totally be a candidate for Virtual Tabletop II.

Ample Vigour
04-29-2011, 12:17 PM
I like this thread because it reminded me that Tenra Bansho Zero (http://www.tenra-rpg.com/) is still a thing (and has entered its tenth year of translation work!)

pence
04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I like this thread because it reminded me that Tenra Bansho Zero (http://www.tenra-rpg.com/) is still a thing (and has entered its tenth year of translation work!)

Huh, I've never really thought about RPGs that are written in Japan, I wonder what the roleplaying community looks like over there. Like, do they all communicate online, or do they have any game stores? How easy is it to get dice? Do they have any big cons?

Not that it's particularly great in the US either, with so many disparate groups of players.

Lucas
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, Record of Lodoss War was pretty danged popular and was born as the author's D&D campaign world. I hear wargaming is pretty popular over there too. I don't really have any answers to anything you asked though, so I guess this is a pretty pointless post....

kaisel
04-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I know for some reason that Japan would also get new D&D books earlier than most parts of the world. I don't know if that's because there's such a demand, or so little demand that Wizards of the Coast just doesn't care.

So, uh, like Lucas, I can't shed too much light on it, but would like to know more.

And yes, the Maid: RPG does seem like it'd be a great candidate for the Virtual Tabletop II, maybe I'll check in to how much it costs, and gift it to someone in the future (at least the next couple weeks) who wants to try running it (I'd rather play than run, it would amuse me more I think). That's if there's a PDF version of it, I guess.

Eddie
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Can I be an elven wizard, but pretend to be a maid?

- Eddie

Red Silvers
04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
An elven wizard pretending to be a maid pretending to be a wizard.

poetfox
04-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I've got a copy of this I've looked over. It seems like one of those fantastic things that I would never get to actually play because I would never have a group for it. It seems like it would require a separation between you and your character that my friends I play this stuff with when I get to just don't do. (Not that I find that a problem. We just play different stuff.)

I'd really like to give it a try, though. I suppose I could try to run it, too, though I'd have to study it much more in-depth. Not that that would be bad.

Asema
04-29-2011, 02:26 PM
One of our players had intended to put a LP of it somewhere but I dunno what's up with that. So, instead, here's some highlights so far: an onmyouji siege of the mansion, a boarding school falling from the sky, Yu-Gi-Oh style Mahjong boards, and Ultra Meido Dracula.

All this without random events, too. I scrapped them because...

We never quite got as insane as Kalir's game because our GM was a party pooper English major concerned with things like "coherent narrative" and the game really isn't suited to campaign play anyway, but I kind of miss playing Orange Cream the psychic ex-special forces dominatrix maid. I was just about to initiate Operation Seduce Half the Mansion when we quit playing, too.

Yeah, we're learning that it's not really suited to heavy narratives and campaign play with a lot of combat because that's what we're doing. So far I've decided to cap attributes, expand combat options a little, add in favour sinks by letting players purchase items, and a few other things. I do, however, think that the players are enjoying it a lot more than they would be were it just a series of one-shots.

Plus, it's not a coherent narrative (a plot point itself), as Kalir said.

Huh, I've never really thought about RPGs that are written in Japan, I wonder what the roleplaying community looks like over there. Like, do they all communicate online, or do they have any game stores? How easy is it to get dice? Do they have any big cons?

I imagine it's fairly big, given that they have a line of MegaTen tabletop RPGs, none of which I can get my hands on because I live in Canada.

Zef
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Yep. (http://maidrpg.com/)

You are a maid, having worked dutifully for the Saionji family for several years

Saionji!

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/saionji2.jpg

...I wonder if Touga is far behind! http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-whee.gif

Googleshng
04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Can I be an elven wizard, but pretend to be a maid?

- Eddie

I'm pretty sure this is possible, but the appeal of Maid is pretty much a combination of 3 elements:
1- Making fun of harem anime.
2- Making everyone playing extremely uncomfortable by virtue of everyone having the (futile) goal of trying to get into the GMPC's pants.
3- Randomly rolling on tables for everything and dealing with the really %@$#ed up results.

"OK, roll your stats, then roll on these 5 tables. Congratulations. You're a ghost robot maid with cholera who punches people in the face when under stress."

nunix
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
There's an interesting incarnation of this gameplay dynamic.

It is called My Life With Master (http://www.halfmeme.com/master.html).

If you think your group is mature enough to handle it, it is totally worth experiencing.

(for the exact opposite set-up - sort of - there's WTF? which I had a hand in inspiring/sketching out, but I don't know if that's still around anywhere)

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2011, 10:50 PM

Not that it's particularly great in the US either, with so many disparate groups of players.

I'm not exactly sure how big it is in Japan, but I know they call them TRPGs (for Tabletop or Tabletalk RPG).

Also, there is a seriously awesome-sounding one called Meikyuu Kingdom (http://barkingalien.blogspot.com/2010/11/make-mine-make-you-kingdom.html). The premise is that much of the world has been transformed into trap and monster-filled dungeons and you play the ruler and members of court who venture into them. You also bring an NPC retinue with you that you red shirt to get rid of monsters/find traps but simultaneously need to find treasure and not kill too many NPCs so your kingdom grows and thrives. The blog post I linked calls it Ogre Battle meets Suikoden meets classic D&D.

Mightyblue
04-29-2011, 11:07 PM
There's also Night Wizard, but I can't remember if that actually got translated or if they just left off at the intro.

Kalir
04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty sure this is possible, but the appeal of Maid is pretty much a combination of 3 elements:
1- Making fun of harem anime.
2- Making everyone playing extremely uncomfortable by virtue of everyone having the (futile) goal of trying to get into the GMPC's pants.
3- Randomly rolling on tables for everything and dealing with the really %@$#ed up results.

"OK, roll your stats, then roll on these 5 tables. Congratulations. You're a ghost robot maid with cholera who punches people in the face when under stress."

It's like FATAL, except not a blight upon all that is good and reasonable.

Actually, I was the only one who rolled my character randomly, aside from the stats. I ended up with an albino onmyouji named Aiko, and she's become the head maid in a house full of lunatics, tricksters, and murderers. She is pretty sane compared to the rest, but do not get on her bad side. Ever.

Everyone else pretty much chose their traits on their own, I think. They vary pretty wildly from mundane (glasses) to WTF (a cyborg).

As for the stress part, you don't actually take damage in Maid RPG. You just get stressed to the point of hitting a Stress Explosion, where you're forced to do a certain thing, like crying, breaking stuff, hiding away, for until your stress reduces to 0. Yeah.

Lucas
04-30-2011, 12:01 PM
As for the stress part, you don't actually take damage in Maid RPG. You just get stressed to the point of hitting a Stress Explosion, where you're forced to do a certain thing, like crying, breaking stuff, hiding away, for until your stress reduces to 0. Yeah.

It's important to keep in mind that you lose stress at a rate of one per real life minute, if I recall correctly. Stress explosions can be a good time for a bathroom break or a pizza run, if you've got one that doesn't require active input.

Googleshng
04-30-2011, 01:16 PM
OK, seriously, if you're not rolling all your traits you're just doing it wrong. If you pick stuff, that'll give you a character you're actually comfortable playing, and if you're going to be that big of a wimp you might as well be playing a butler.

Asema
04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Actually, I was the only one who rolled my character randomly, aside from the stats. I ended up with an albino onmyouji named Aiko, and she's become the head maid in a house full of lunatics, tricksters, and murderers. She is pretty sane compared to the rest, but do not get on her bad side. Ever.

Kazue and Natsuko were both rolled randomly (or mostly so, if memory serves)!

Also, man, Aiko is really frightening. If you contrast her treatment of friendly NPCs with her treatment of villainous NPCs... Well, she's obviously sane, but it's just so jarring to see her when she's angry.

Satonakaja
04-30-2011, 05:49 PM
The best stress explosion is violence. Especially if your maid has a machinegun. Sadly I got the slightly less fun "Rampage" instead.