PDA

View Full Version : How About a Pidgeon Drop, or Maybe a Rip Deal? (Playing Leverage)

kaisel
05-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Alright, I figure it's best to make this thread now, and give myself a kick to start working on this more and get things really started. In the next couple of days I'll post all the rules that folks should know in this thread, at the moment we have two games that are going to be run, one on a Tuesday, the other on a Thursday, once I figure out my schedule, though:

Tentative game days: May 23rd and May 26th, though this might be pushed back a week, depending on when Destil has his free Thursday.

Current potential players:
23rd

Nich
namelessentity
pence
Nodal
Red Hedgehog

26th

Destil
Lucas

Undecided:

Googleshng
poetfox (?)
widdershins

Things that'll need to be done is splitting players into groups of five, for each day of the game, and then setting a time earlier for character creation and hopefully the Recruitment job (which is sort of interactive character creation).

Information (some to be filled in):

Leverage Introduction (http://www.kaiselstudios.com/blog/?page_id=575)
Character Creation (http://www.kaiselstudios.com/blog/?page_id=614)
Flashbacks
The Recruitment Job

I'll be updating this as I figure out what I'm doing.

Destil
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
26th should be free. I'll double check tonight.

Destil
05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah, 26th will be fine.

kaisel
05-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Awesome! So looks like 23rd and 26th, so long as it's not stepping on anyone's toes, is when I'm scheduling it. Also updated the first post with a quick run through of character creation.

Googleshng
05-04-2011, 02:33 AM
As long as it isn't a saturday, or a day one of those other games on the big board is scheduled, I can generally be counted on as available... and even then, I was once simultaneously playing 3 games at once without appreciable lag... except that one round.

pence
05-04-2011, 07:00 AM
I pretty much started watching this show on TNT's website so I didn't have to go into this blind. I don't think I have been disappointed!

Yep, this should be good - the web of people that are into these games is slowly growing now, so most people on that list will know at least one other person, now.

sraymonds
05-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Custom character sheets here (http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2011/02/leverage-rpg-sheets.html)

Copy of the book's character sheet (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B019V6T7JsRUNzhjMmM0MTctYmUxNy00MzE1LWEwYWM tMjBlZjhhZDkzZWQ2&hl=en&authkey=CNj9jfIC)

I think I prefer the custom ones.

Destil
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Yep, this should be good - the web of people that are into these games is slowly growing now, so most people on that list will know at least one other person, now.

Between PAX last year and the recent surge of online VOIP gaming the only player on the list I haven't 'met' at this point is poetfox :D

EDIT: And Kaisel, I suppose.

kaisel
05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Alright, for now I guess we're in the stage where characters should start to be made. I think I'm going to forgo the Recruitment Job for this game, as that'll take up time, and I don't know how long everyone has, so for now:

Pick one of the five roles
One role per group
Pick a secondary role
It doesn't matter if there are any repeats for secondary role

I'll get more detailed character creation rules up tomorrow, or maybe tonight depending on when Google's game ends.

namelessentity
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure whether I'm available on the 26th, so can I be in the 23rd?

Picking roles,eh? Is this the requisite time where I mention that if Eliot were true to his character he would complain about being called "The Hitter"?

And quickly jumping in to declare
Primary: Thief
Secondary: Hitter

And there you go. This thing is really happening, I'm so excited!

pence
05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
I can do either day, but for ease of planning I'll say 23rd is my preference, and I have no problem doing the 26th to balance groups. Playing to type:

Primary: Mastermind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aocYRShXM)
Secondary: Grifter

namelessentity
05-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Alright, I figure it's best to make this thread now, and give myself a kick to start working on this more and get things really started. In the next couple of days I'll post all the rules that folks should know in this thread, at the moment we have two games that are going to be run, one on a Tuesday, the other on a Thursday, once I figure out my schedule, though:

Tentative game days: May 23rd and May 26th

The 23rd is a Monday. Did you mean the 24th, kaisel? If so I might have to double check my schedule.

Lucas
05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I'm good for either day myself. Heck, I'd be willing to wait until we know which day Poet can play so I can fill out the other team.

kaisel
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
The 23rd is a Monday. Did you mean the 24th, kaisel? If so I might have to double check my schedule.

Crap, I meant the 24th originally, but the 23rd seems to work for people, so I'll change it to that, unless it conflicts majorly. Updated the first post with the player list to the best of my knowledge.

Red Hedgehog
05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I think the 23rd would be best for me (though I was also going to propose that for continuing the ICONS adventure - will have to check more when I'm available).

Primary Role: Grifter
Secondary Role: Hacker

Nodal
05-18-2011, 01:02 AM
I'll take the 23rd.

kaisel
05-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Alright, updated the first post with who's playing on what day, Lucas, I put you in the on the 26th since the 23rd already has five people. I might ask someone willing to move from the 23rd to the 26th if we don't get another person on that day, but there's still time.

Now, I'm going to be kind of daring, and just do standard character creation, and use one of the optional rules that the first job also doubles as the Recruitment Job, which is the last step in character creation. Basically all this means is that you get to fill in traits and such during gameplay as situations arise. Hopefully this will work out. So for now, all you need to do for character creation is:

Grab a character sheet (http://www.onesevendesign.com/leverage/leverage_sheets_oneseven.pdf) (Thanks sraymonds!).
Place a d10 in your Primary Role
Place a d8 in your Secondary Role
Choose whether you're Focused (two d10s, two d8s, and two d6s.) or Versatile (one d10, four d8s, and one d6), and assign these dice to your attributes, one die per attribute. Attributes are: Agility, Alertness, Intelligence, Strength, Vitality, Willpower.
Choose one distinction, something that's just a fact of life about your character, that can be used both negatively or positively. This can range from things like Drunkard, to Attractive Enough to be Leered At.

The rest will be established during gameplay. The more in depth character creationsrules are here again (http://www.kaiselstudios.com/blog/?page_id=614), ignore the quick recruitment section, unless everyone would prefer to have a full character sheet instead.

Sample Character
Name: Malcolm Canton
Primary Role: Hacker

Secondary Role: Grifter

Roles:

Hacker: d10
Hitter:
Grifter: d8
Thief:
Mastermind:

Attributes: Versatile

Agility: d8
Alertness: d8
Intelligence: d10
Strength: d6
Vitality: d8
Willpower: d8

Distinctions:

Smartest Guy in the Room

Feel free to PM me, or post your characters in this thread, and if you have any questions ask 'em here. And it'd probably be super useful if everyone who's playing PMed me their Skype username, to make sure I have them all.

pence
05-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Because Nathan Ford is the real best character in the show:

Name: Stuart MacKail
Primary Role: Mastermind
Secondary Role: Grifter

Roles:
Hacker:
Hitter:
Grifter: d8
Thief:
Mastermind: d10

Attributes: Focused
Agility: d6
Intelligence: d10
Willpower: d10

Specialties:
Pulp Fiction (Mastermind)

Distinctions:
Do it the Old Fashioned Way
Anal-Retentive

Talents:
Archangel
Johnny on-the-Spot

namelessentity
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Name: Greg the Pilfer
Primary Role: Thief
Secondary Role: Hittter

Roles:
Hacker:
Hitter: d8
Grifter:
Thief: d10
Mastermind:

Attributes: Focused
Agility: d10
Alertness: d10
Intelligence: d6
Strength: d8
Willpower: d6

Distinctions:
Highly Dubious of Others

And then pence went and cheated and read the actual rules so he places other things that I also don't understand

Red Hedgehog
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Name: Joshua (Josh) MacKail (if it's cool, pence and my characters are brothers with something of a sibling rivalry)
Primary Role: Grifter
Secondary Role: Mastermind (also, if it's cool I switch to this as my secondary role)

Roles:
Hacker:
Grifter: d10
Thief:
Mastermind: d8

Attributes: Versatile

Agility: d8
Intelligence: d8
Willpower: d10

Specialties:
Don't have the rules, so no ideas.

Distinctions:
Turns everyone's head

Talents:
Undecided, but leaning toward How You Doin'?, Slip Of The Tongue, or Wanna Buy A Watch?

Googleshng
05-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh right! I still need to make a character here don't I! Apparently I'm in the thursday group by default here... and nobody here has made characters yet... and I'm due for a female character, so let's narrow things down! I can either enforce stereotypes/push the party towards modeling everyone on Lupin characters with a Grifter/Thief, or do something weird and non-standard, like go Hitter/Hacker (Possibly with some goofiness getting computers to reveal their secrets by hitting them, like The Fonz). Either of those step on the toes of anyone else's plans in that group?

Lucas
05-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I was thinking I'd be a hacker primary, so... no!

Hrm... I guess I'll go hacker/grifter. I can talk anything or anyone into giving up the goods. I'll have to do actual chargen at another time, though.

namelessentity
05-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Considering that this is all today and stuff, do we have a time picked out for con man fun times?

kaisel
05-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Hrm, I have a little bit of bad news for the Thursday game, I'm going to have family in town that day, so I'm not sure what the best course of action is. I can push the game back, so it starts at like 8:30 PM Pacific or something (if people don't mind a late night game), otherwise I'll find another day.

Considering that this is all today and stuff, do we have a time picked out for con man fun times?

It should be at: 6:30PM Pacific, a half hour after the usual time, sorry about the bit of late notice. If it needs to be pushed back a little bit, just tell me.

pence
05-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Reference sheets are awesome, and someone has been awesome enough to make one for Leverage as a flowchart:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425914/Leverage%20Cheat%20Sheet.pdf

And another one for character generation:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/r6azoao21l4dsbk/Leverage%20Chargen.pdf?dl=1

namelessentity
05-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Pence, you truly are a king among men.

I love that flow chart, especially the exclamation point after "Get a Plot Point!"

kaisel
05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
The reference chart is so much better than the half-assed hand-written one I made. Thanks pence!

kaisel
05-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Double posting to say that I might be a little late today, I have a couple of things to set up, and work has been a little stressful today, and I figure taking things a little slow, rather than frantically trying to set everything up on top of this is probably the better idea. It'll probably only be like 15 minutes, but figured I'd give everyone the heads up.

pence
05-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Hey this was pretty sweet, even if we got played in the end. I mean, that's a classic recruitment job. And I got to listen to Nich's character run off a whole lot of technobabble about how he couldn't cut the cameras before suggesting 'well... have you tried the wire cutters?' (As with all my best ideas, it was actually someone else's)

kaisel
05-24-2011, 09:53 AM
I think the game overall went pretty well, with all the hiccups associated with a game focusing on splitting the party, and not quite enough planning on my part for some things. But it was a lot of fun, and it was great seeing a plan constructed, executed, even with getting played at the end. Thanks for being my victims guinea pigs first players when it comes to Leverage, and hopefully we'll play another game in a month or so, using all the knowledge learned from this one.

The Thursday game will be using a modified version of what the Tuesday group ran through, so it should be interesting to see how two groups go through a similar setup.

namelessentity
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
If possible, I would like to sit in on the Thursday game just to see how differently they attempt things.

Also, to prevent giving them ideas, I will not talk about how awesome we were in this thread until Friday.

But dudes, we were totally awesome.

kaisel
05-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Well, it looks like folks are still kind of up in the air about what roles they want to be, and character creation, and I still don't have a solid schedule for tomorrow (I have no idea when I'm getting home, though I should be able to make it by like 7:30pm, 8:00pm PST). Does anyone have any objections to pushing it back to whenever Destil has another free day?

Also, for whenever it is run, I'm cool with anyone listening in, provided the players are okay with it too.

Googleshng
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
My schedule is flexible here. We really should get our collective act together character wise though right now. At the very least, work out what everyone's doing primary role wise.

Destil
05-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Hope I'm not the one holding everyone up; I should be able to make my character tonight. Just been very busy recently with work.

kaisel
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Hope I'm not the one holding everyone up; I should be able to make my character tonight. Just been very busy recently with work.

Nah, it's my fault really, my schedule filled up all the sudden because I have family that's going to be in town. Are you okay with waiting a week or two, whenever you're available again, or do you want to try for tomorrow, and have it start late (probably close to 7:30pm - 8:00pm PST)?

As for characters, since you're all a small group, the easiest roles, I think, to not be primary would probably be Mastermind and Hitter, but I'll roll with whatever you all want.

Destil
05-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm cool with either, really.

kaisel
05-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm cool with either, really.

Thanks for being flexible about this, so executive decision time:

So long as everyone agrees, I'll be moving the Leverage game to whatever day Destil has available next. Maybe we can dig up a fourth person to join the group too. I'll PM everyone about this as well to make sure everyone has all the information. Sorry about this guys.

Lucas
05-25-2011, 09:10 PM
More New Vegas time for me, so I won't be complaining.